[Drama 2013/2014] King's Daughter, Soo Baek Hyang 제왕의 딸, 수백향

pangia

The link was fairly decent today, and watched the subbed episodes, the seer’s prediction was so dire & chilling, gave one goosebumps. Her prediction was were more or less (paraphrasing here):

“Chae Hwa raised SH as her own, but SH being the fraud as a result stole everything that belonged to SN. Chae Hwa was a foolish mother does not know that her true child (SN) is suffering because she gave all her attention to SH who is the fraud.”  SH the fraud, will be the cause for Baekjae’s destruction.  No one is listening or seeing the truth because the cuckoo (SH) has deceived all of them. 

From episode 29 we got the name of SL which is Yo Uki, I’ll stick with SL.  On with the recap.

Episode 31

The seer’s dire prediction is narrated while the king goes to meet JM.  At the same time SH accidentally damages the king’s portrait, the aide announces the king to JM who comes out acting drunk.  The king is disappointed with his actions, JM says he is doing it because of his father (sadness talk here), the king leaves and JM goes back in.  SH gets the hiccup which is a trait that occurs whenever she is very scared/nervous, she mentions this trait to JM, they leave the place with the portrait, JM has secured the services of an artist to fix it fast paying him a lot of money.  The maid tries to assure SH that all will be fine with JM’s help.

On the training grounds the trainees are given a different type of test – written, SN writes her answers and prevents the other two from copying, however MGG show drawing talent when he drew a likeness of the training chief who was invigilating the test.  SN remembers happy times learning with her mother so she smiles.  SL gives MN her stew, he tastes it saying its not the same, she leaves. The training chief arrives showing the answers of all trainees to MN.  MN is amused with the responses from them & says that MGG has talent with the drawing; he especially liked SN’s answers.  The training chief says that SN is the only one that passed her reward “chicken”, which annoys the trainees and pleases her the most, she had the biggest smile.  KBK says that the reward given to SN was wrong, MN disagrees says that the thing SN likes the most is chicken (ok SN is time you have some mystery about you right now; it’s not a good thing when you are like an open book to MN).

On a side note, it is interesting to note the role of education played in that time and in some ways its relevant today especially literacy.  Literacy/education was for the rich and certain classes it was not considered of great importance to the commoner whose focus is when/where would they get their meal to survive another day for themselves and/family.  It is therefore not surprising that TLD, MGG & most of the trainees did not know how to read/write at that time. So for SH & SN being given education from their mother when you think about it was a big gift especially as women of that time. Literacy/education is still something one fights for everyday in a lot of countries. Watching that scene made me very appreciative of it when it at times is taken for granted (I’m no teacher by the way).

A few days has passed the queen calls MN & SH, they plan to go to the room with the kings portraits. The queen and MN convince the king and councillors to come with them.  SH goes ahead waiting nervously for the king’s portrait. JM arrives in time and it was placed back at its home, the others arrive and reflect on the king/history of Baekjae etc., they leave a bit later and SH thank JM for his help it appears that they have reached an understanding.  JM thinks about SH later and says some of his thoughts to his guard.  The king later returns to the room and drinks sadly he asks for JM and talks to him.  Episode ends. Preview implies that people are trying to pair up JM & SH.

Until next episode, take care.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She is. Her father is Kuchon (KC) but her biological mother is Chae Hwa. She is SN's half-sister and not stepsister like i read somewhere. Actually, the king may be a stepfather to SH and it was CH's intention and assumption (as soon she was sure that Kuchon passed away, so the girls being on their own after her death) for the king to take care of SN, his blood daughter and SH, his step-daughter (because she is the sister of his own daughter, no other relationshionship between them is possible). SH actually wasn't in the wrong when she assumed that the king would become her father (her crime is in denying her own sister whose is well and alive, her place). She was too greedy to share such good fortune cause the princess's position wouldn't possible if SN came along.

Quotes:
“Chae Hwa raised SH as her own, but SH being the fraud as a result stole everything that belonged to SN. Chae Hwa was a foolish mother does not know that her true child (SN) is suffering because she gave all her attention to SH who is the fraud.”  SH the fraud, will be the cause for Baekjae’s destruction.  No one is listening or seeing the truth because the cuckoo (SH) has deceived all of them." 

Oh i just understood your misunderstanding !
She is not talking about CH but the king (he is the mother-bird) and the seer continue to use the same parable than CH (she was gifted too in some way). There is two fraud (because the king give everything which belongs to JM's fate to MN) but the seed really means to talk about SH: he give her everything, thinking she is his, cannot recognise his daughter's face (daughter whose is hungry, not just with food). The cuckoo is just too greedy, too hungry, too reclaming (the same with SH, she was spoiled but she always wanted more than she received. Not her fault if she's ambitious (and weak). You can relink it to every ambitious beautiful girl growning in the simple country. (i personnaly know a girl who married money but her beauty was her only weapon and she made efforts in her new life. Some years ago, i may have been judgemental about such way but let's be real ! I'm a true feminist and i think that girls must have the possibility to chose their way in life. She wasn't gifted in brain but she wasn't mean or hurtful to weak ones, and she found her happiness with everything the life gave her (in spite of every of her circonstances).

I'm glad that the scenarist did make it hard to hate any of the chararcters !

Unfortunately, the king thinks the seers words were directed at the boys....too bad the words were meant for SN and SH. I wonder if he ever gets to find out the truth about both girls before he dies. Also JM genuinely feels sorry for SH...looks like he has developed a certain likeness for her and this would lead to his downfall.

Guest Gongju968

this drama great great  !! writer's really amazing!

-

When will descend OST drama ?

I'm really excited for him, it is very Great

Hello fellow watchers,

Key:- Soo Baek Hyang (SBH), Crown Prince (MN), Seolnan (SN), Seolhi (SH), Grand Marshal (GM), Jinmu (JM),  fake name for  SH  SH/ “SBH”  or “SBH”, Toldae – TLD, Manggu – MGG, BI Moon (spy unit), SL – Soup Lady/Yo Uki, Khobak - KBK .  

Welcome akira968, as said before the more SBH addicts the better.  The link today was very iffy so it’s a fairly rough recap but from watching it, one gets the lead in to the sad turn of events in the future for SN/SBH, MN, JM and SH (the destroyer).  However, today’s episode was about JM very little on the other key characters.  Will give my thoughts on this weeks’ episode on the weekend.  Let’s go recapping. 

Other - thanks rinachan it works.

Episode 32

The king met JM and they talked, he asked JM if there was one thing he wanted to do if his father was alive what would it be.  JM answered the game that he loves to play, the king offered to play the game with him, the king’s aide convinces JM to do so expressing how sincere the king was in his request and feelings towards JM.  However, good fortune was not in the cards for the king & JM in establishing a relationship, there were obstacles which leads to the breakdown.  This lead to the decision by JM that he will use SH/”SBH” to destroy the king, this he told his aide.  The interesting thing is during this promise he made, there were images of both SH/”SBH” and SN/SBH, therefore the scene that we saw of a dead person from episode one could be possibly JM.  The very sad thing about this is that the king actually has the royal artist painting portraits of JM during his growth, he keeps them separately and looks at them with a father’s love. 

SN scene was with TLD & MGG, she is teaching them how to write, the training chief observes this, they are happy. MGG was earlier drawing and seeing TLD learning to write he asks him if he liked it, TLD says yes so of course he joins him in learning as well.  Preview shows SN first assignment.

Have a good weekend everyone and take care.

Guest Rinachan

libby5602 said: Unfortunately, the king thinks the seers words were directed at the boys....too bad the words were meant for SN and SH. I wonder if he ever gets to find out the truth about both girls before he dies. Also JM genuinely feels sorry for SH...looks like he has developed a certain likeness for her and this would lead to his downfall.

you're right he distroyed everybody...he wanted to see CH (after all that time,after he killed her dad,turn his back from her, almost was killed by his men 20 years ago ) and this led to her death CH and Kuchon were happy,the girls too ...He is just a stupid man who has nothing...

-----

He said he love CH ??? I don't think so

When the man loves the woman ,It doesn't matter  even thunderstorm , flood , tornedo He will looking for his woman by himself . but not this stupid king

He sent someone to make trouble for her family , finally he destroys her  poor happy family

If later SH killed him or took his eyes ...or JM did something bad to him .... I think It's OK that's the price he has to pay for

We don't know if the writers could make JM loved SH then .... the cat out of the bag ??

Because they thought SH & JM are sibling

This is such complexity in the feeling of each that makes this drama so great....i agree...i can't hate KC...Selfish or not he saved her and the baby...this stupid  king gave up his own son...he made everything worse...he sent his  men to his lover house...did nothing to save her...after 20 years he dares to call her and  the only thing he does is  to cause her death indirectly...we saw first ep first  scenes it seems his children will kill each other...it was blood and JM was dead

Guest Rinachan

Araminta Jouana said:
Love can be expressed in many way ! I'm sorry but some people cannot just throw away their family or principles for love. Can you betray your country for love ? Kill you mother for the love of a man or woman ? Or just kill your sibling for love ? Such love is selfish but yes, there is as much ways to express one's love than to express sadness or hate. Some people are more quiet, some cannot express themself quite well.

And i'm sorry but Baeka had no way to get away after killing his king whose was like a little brother to the present one. How can he not avenge him ? And by doing it himself, his intention was to punish Baeka only (not CH or any other in the fortress ! He protected the women and children back then).
And please remind of CH's filial piety : she may have adored her lover, loved him more than life itself but she have one father and she decided to die with him (and she was bearing a child !!!!).

In a way,it was KC who stopped CH's fate with the king. He took her away and finally had her. We all loved him but maybe, SH took her selfishness and greedy personnality from her dad...? Let's just wait and see what he will do when SH will do harm and what will he do about SN ? In such situation, the good ones are always betrayed for "good" reason (SH is still his blood related daughter so even if she's denying him, he may obey her and cover for her.).

This is such complexity in the feeling of each that makes this drama so great.

If you can not protect your children then how can you protect all people ??

This stupid king only got lucky from the other people around him ??

CH 's father killed the late king for his throne ..then he killed all CH's father family

later he destroyed CH's family ( twice murder )

I don't want to hate him but he himself is  a terrible man , he dare to abandon his children for what ??  does his country ask or force  him to do that ???

Which country people would vote for President or Prime Minister  who killed all his in-law family and abandoned his children ??

I also don't like SH or JM  too much but if they  did bad thing for him ...it's OK .. he deserved it

about KC  he really loves CH he saved her life her child ,he loved her child ,he protected his family even he's poor but everyone respected him ....without KC , were  CH & the King's child (SN) still alive ??

The bad fate of JM& SH is JM was a real murder of SH's family !

I mean JM destroyed SN ( his sister ) 's happy family !

Archived