[Drama 2013] : Two Weeks (투윅스)

Maetawinz

Well, dramabeans is beginning their year-end reviews...

Two Weeks

Raise your glass of: Soju, preferably in shot form. To take the edge off the nail-biting.

yer_twoweeks2.jpg

Two Weeks marks the second year in a row that Lee Jun-ki put in a strong performance in a solid show that nevertheless didn’t quite garner the popularity it deserved. The condensed-time thriller wasn’t a flop—it had a modest fanbase and drew mostly positive responses—but felt underrated anyway, considering how well-written its thriller plotline was and how strongly it kept up its brisk pace.

Read the full article on Dramabeans

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried toe atch episode 1. Lead actor can not act well. So i stopped

If you don't like this drama, then why did you post? I understand that you don't enjoy 'Two Weeks' much, but if you want to post your own opinion, make sure that it is not abusing any actors/actresses, Soompi members or anybody else. It is against the forum rules.

For example, instead of saying 'Lead actor cannot act well', say 'I don't enjoy watching him act because......'. That will let the readers know clearly that you are giving an opinion, not a compliment.

Here are the forum rules:

http://forums.soompi.com/discussion/2019874/k-dramas-movies-actors-actresses-forum-rules#latest

Two Weeks

gm13-00111-1.jpg

Two Weeks is a fine example of how execution and writing can make a world of a difference even if two shows happen to share the same basic premise on paper (Mandate of Heaven). It’s the darker side of the coin that wastes no time to remind you that the next two weeks will be the most stressful and thrill-tastic weeks of our hero’s life.

The writing by far was the standout feature of this show, grounded in the assurance that this condensed timeline was carefully thought-out and planned beforehand. Those efforts clearly paid off in the show’s execution with a balanced brisk and suspenseful pace without my having to worry that there would be any surprise loose ends. Plus, there wasn’t enoughtime for irrelevance in a relatively short timeframe.

It was gratifying to see Lee Jun-ki put in another solid performance as an ordinary hero who had to rely on his noggin’ and street smarts to get him out of some tight situations. I loved watching Kim So-yeon as a no-nonsense prosecutor with her own story to find justice, though I wished that her path crossed with Tae-san’s much sooner than it actually did. It was strange that the show’s villains felt two-dimensional at times with a rather simplistic evil motivation to drive their actions, though admittedly, those moments still induced much fear.

Even with its overall fugitive storyline, Two Weeks never forgot to keep us in tune with the man on the run. Suffice it to say that Tae-san is an unlikable hero at the start, and I liked that his character arc was one that he had to actively work at, because while words may have gotten him into his current situation, real change requires an action behind those words.

I watched for you: The nail-biting experience of counting down to D-day with crayons.

cr: Dramabeans

imageThis image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.
20131214  Tweet2
My daughter SooJin came down to the fan meeting~^^ She keeps laughing, saying it is so much fun. Are you really having fun? Thanks my angel who brought the christmas gift for dad~^^ ( translation by Elly)

cr: JGfamily

Guest floppygoon

I just started watch this drama after finishing Golden Time drama xD I FEEL SO REGRET NOWWWWWWWWW! I should've watched this drama earlier T.T The actions.. the FEELSS.. ahah and Soojin is so adorable  :x   and matured too <3

this drama is surely the 'Drama of the Century' woottt~~~

currently watching ep 13 ~~

Guest ashrifah

floppygoon

said:

I just started watch this drama after finishing Golden Time drama xD I FEEL SO REGRET NOWWWWWWWWW! I should've watched this drama earlier T.T The actions.. the FEELSS.. ahah and Soojin is so adorable  :x   and matured too <3

Guest Timbone

floppygoon said:

Two Weeks drama was not lucky with ratings or appreciation from MBC but it has our appreciation. I read so many good reviews about this drama and I am glad they won three prizes in APAN Awards. Good work for everybody involved and I think they are very pleased that their drama had quality. =D>

Guest ashrifah

Netizen’s choice, the best drama of 2013?

Survey conducted based on Daum portal site, since Naver excluded SBS and Cable channel tvN on drama review points and replies. 

Also, this article touches on which drama and who was chosen as best of the year 2013 in the survey which was carried out by the giant portal community Hallyu-Yeulpoong-Sahrang(한류열풍사랑) (meaning Love of Hallyu Fever)( ‘Hallyusarang’ hereinafter).

1. Portal Daum review points show that <Nine, 9 times of time travel> by tvN topped with 9.8 and <the secret> by KBS2 and <Two Weeks> by MBC shared the second place together with 9.6 out of 10. 

The giant portal community Hallyusarang has 250,000 members and is the biggest Hallyu community in Korea dealing with dramas and K-Pops.
Their survey results have <Nine> and <Respond 1994> at the first place, <I Hear Your Voice> by SBS on 2nd, <Two Weeks> on the 3rd. 
Also, they picked Lee Boyoung (I Hear Your Voice) as the best lead actress in Drama category and Lee Joon-gi (Two Weeks) as the best lead actor.
As for the best writer and director, So Hyungyeong <Two Weeks> and Park Hae- Ryeon<I Hear Your Voice> both at 1st place and Son HyeongSeok and Choi Jeong-gyu <Two Weeks> were chosen for the best director post respectively. (Brief summary& excerpt only relevant part by Elly)

http://www.stardailynews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=28140

Source: JG Family

=D> :):D

• 2 weeks later...

[HanCinema's Year in Review] Orion's Best Of Dramas 2013

fullsizephoto392582.jpg

The better a series is, the more its flaws, be they few or many, seem to stand out. This is a compliment to a series like "Two Weeks", because while its flaws were glaringly obvious and frustrating, it was still a very entertaining ride. There was overacting, there were plot holes you could drive a monster truck through, there was sappiness. But the real time format of it (1 episode is 1 day within the series' world), the compelling writing of some characters and most of all, the male lead's captivating character arc and motivation made this a very exciting series to watch. Jang Tae-san and his fight for his child's life, his development from naive coward to a hero in control of his life and his perseverance make him a protagonist you feel invested in. Along with an overall good quality plot and production, it just works.

cr : HanCinema
*The possibility of me getting over this show becomes 0 ( or below ).

While uri Jun-Ki is contemplating a new project, the world has not yet forgotten about Two Weeks.

Hancinema just posted a review of it. Actually, they copied it from "Orion Ramblings.."  (MBC - I hope you take notice....!)

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Two Weeks"
2014/01/18

photo394628.jpg

Action and suspense series have not been a frequently used genre in Korean drama, but surprisingly, they have produced some very popular works. The fact that revenge and/or melodrama are typical parts of most of them is one part that perhaps helps the genre impress, but a lot of them have also aimed for a popular cast and polished appearance, even if their plots have their issues. From 'City Hunter' to 'Bridal Mask' to the series in question here, "Two Weeks", they all go for something different and impressive presentation.

"Two Weeks" starts with an antihero type of man. Jang Tae-san (Lee Joon-ki) is wasting his life away in a demeaning job done as a favor to the businessman and mob boss he sacrificed himself and went to jail for. Tae-san has no responsibilities or interest to have them. That is until his former girlfriend, Seo In-hye (Park Ha-seon), appears and lets him know he is a father to a little girl with leukemia, named Soo-jin, who needs a bone marrow transplant from him. While he accepts, he finds himself framed for a murder and running for his life, but also the life of his daughter.

photo394629.jpg

photo394630.jpg

A new feature this series uses which might have eventually been its biggest asset is the real time format of it. Tae-san's race against the clock, with each episode being a day in his life as he is being chased by the police and criminals alike, means that the thrills and suspense are easy to maintain, because they are based on very urgent situations. Both due to his fugitive status, but also his daughter's, need for the transplant 14 days from when their story begins. So the pace manages to remain very fast and the plot very engaging throughout.

Speaking of the plot, it is of course not without its problems. As intricate and suspenseful and well done as it is, it does have the usual gaping holes we find in dramas and fiction in general. Action also being a genre where such holes seem to be even more easily forgiven by people means the series does not always try too hard to fill in all of the gaps. I mean, no matter how much one can suspend their disbelief, a man falling from a random cliff in the wilderness of Korea only to land into the arms of the exact person they needed to help their situation, as if they were some deus ex hermit's shack, is pretty ridiculously contrived.

But Tae-san's development through his struggles, the intriguing and charismatic villains, some nicely layered second leads and of course, Tae-san's relationship with his daughter (played by the adorableLee Chae-mi) are what really shines, making all of the little problems vanish in the presence of an otherwise grand and impressive story and set of characters. The stakes are high, the motives noble from the good guys and selfish or villainous from the bad guys. The characters are developed very well and their flaws are not glazed over, but rather serve as good material for their actions and the change into better or worse people through the events that take place.

photo394631.jpg

photo394632.jpg

Certain parts of the acting are the second biggest flaw along with some plot holes and it is an even sadder one, because it seems to stem from bad guidance. This is sad, because the plot itself, the things that happen and the characters are all good enough to not need added drama, which ultimately harms them by turning them soapy at times. The series is wonderful and the acting is mostly great, but a few important moments were disappointing due to that overacting and it is only so painful because it is so unnecessary and the series otherwise so good with getting emotion out of viewers.

Of course, the action and the visuals are important here. The directing and editing are mostly top shelf, the action is well made and exciting, the music and sound range from good to not distracting and it is generally good in terms of production quality, which is important in such a genre.

"Two Weeks" is a case of a series which knows what works and gives it to the viewers. Tae-san's emotional journey is as important as his and his daughter's fate and every other character understands it as well. There is a bigger picture, but it is only as important to the viewer as its involvement in Tae-san's fight for his child and redemption. A thrilling and, despite the occasional melodramatic acting, emotionally engaging experience fans of the genre are sure to appreciate.

Written by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

Source: Hancinema

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AnabelO

Omg I was hook on this drama since the first episode. I was on a roller coster of emotions on each episode, the characters were amazing and i have to admit it was my first time watching these actors and i was left speechless with their performance from the youngest to the oldest. I loved Two Weeks so much that i saw it twice. The story was so different and touching and it was just so GOOD !!!!!!!! I felt so empty when it ended thats how much the story grew on me. 
This drama will forever be one of my favorite drama of all TIME! THANK YOU.

B-) B-) B-)

• 2 weeks later...

I know this's very very old, but I didn't know that even Boa aimed to catch Jang Tae San too, Poor uri TaeSan-- LOL.

20130904170121_5226e8d17cec5_1.jpg
She posted on her instagram,On September 3rd, BoA uploaded a photo on her Instagram and wrote "Why are we together? Who know? I might be able to find Jang Tae San..Never mind..Expect Love. I hope you will gain a bit more of weight when we meet next time."
Cr to- and For more: http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/news/boa-reveals-a-photo-taken-with-song-jae-003011474.html

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From a list of Kdrama villains.

The Villains of Kdrama: 
Dare I Say… Boring?
Removed un-related material

Bring on the Yawns (Totally Boring)

Moon Il Seok, Two Weeks
Played by: Jo Min Ki

599813007619061306_3a3bc0e7_f.jpg

This man’s not above using every trick in the blackmail handbook, including murder and the manipulation of sweet and precious children. Every time he got away for some momentary lapse on the part of the good guys’ part, or cruel twist of fate, I wanted to go through the TV screen, or turn it off.

Source: Mydramalist

Archived