[Drama 2013] ♔ The Heirs/Inheritors ♔ ♕ 왕관을 쓰려는자, 그무게를 견뎌라-상속자들 ♕

Maja

Lol it was a whole lot of trouble to watch it on viki lol. It took me a while to find a program to download. I am not supporting dramafever after they snatched the licence from viki like that. WOw im so desperate lol

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "The Heirs" Episode 1

photo358080.jpg

This drama starts out highlighting a rather ambivalent attitude toward the United States. On the the one hand, this is the country of awesome surfing, gorgeous scenery, and a crazy party atmosphere. On the other hand, the very name America appears to be synonymous with exploitative interaction between the sexes for ill-advised financial reasons. And this appears to be true for both the richer and poorer members of the cast.

I was not expecting "The Heirs" to take such an ambivalent attitude to Korean-American cultural interactions. But I have to admit- I'm really enjoying the creative direction. Cha Eun-Seok (played byYoon Jin-seo) has a very interesting role here as the older sister who escapes conservative Korean society. In Western fiction, this is a common character archetype whose independence represents what makes America great, the lies she tells to her family being a tragic necessity for letting her be herself. But by reversing this dynamic, and showing it from the Korean side first, this drama exposes the hollow nature of these rationalizations and their ultimate self-centeredness.

It's rather telling that America here is treated like a giant amorphous entity where people hang out and do what they want without having to worry about their parents getting in the way. For lead character Kim Tan (played by Lee Min-ho) this is probably, maybe a good thing, since most of his interactions with other Koreans are pretty iffy. But the plotline with Eun-Seok makes it clear that being cut off from family for too long can end up pretty bad- it's impressive (and depressing) how badly she comes off here when this is literally a drama about rich people abusing their children's marital prospects for business purposes.

The style in "The Heirs" is so distinctive in this regard that I'm not remotely sure what direction this storyline is supposed to go. All the basic tropes are telegraphed for a Cinderella story, but it already looks like the easiest possible ending is off the table because the drama is surprisingly honest about just how unpleasant a place America can be. It's a jolt of realism that's of little use in a fantasy story, though it has lots of potential for quality drama- such as the lack of escape.

I suspect this is where the Los Angeles stage of this drama is going to go- right from the get-go we see that characters can't defy their fate by just partying in America indefinitely, and that one way or another, the pursestrings are going to show up and demand some responsibility. Responsibility in exchange for activities that clearly require money yet don't actually accomplish anything? Talk about putting a damper in the wish fulfillment- by all means, let's see how far this particular rabbit hole goes.

Review by William Schwartz

hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-the-heirs-episode-1-61407.html

Have been lurking around for a while, finally posting sthing for everyone ^^
tumblr_mufjfbIEVW1ra4z2wo1_500.giftumblr_mufjfbIEVW1ra4z2wo7_r1_250.gif tumblr_mufjfbIEVW1ra4z2wo2_250.giftumblr_mufjfbIEVW1ra4z2wo4_250.gif tumblr_mufjfbIEVW1ra4z2wo5_250.giftumblr_mufjfbIEVW1ra4z2wo3_r1_500.gif @my tmblr
I admit I'm intrigued by Young Do-Rachel story, it might not happen since he's supposed to be the 2nd lead and involved in the main love triangle, on other hand she's like 4th? 5th? lead so yea. but a girl can dream right. They resemble each other in a way, just like the main couple but more sass lol , like the more than meets the eye type. and partly because i don't want Kim woo bin to end up alone ^^, ignore the fact that they're step-siblings. one is a bully, other is a bitchy heiress, perfect lol

Enjoyed the first episode a lot.  All the guys are handsome.  I hated the bullying scene.  Really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I guess we have to see the really ugly side to rich kids. (potential employers of the poor kids)  >:P This drama moved really fast I thought.  Looking to see more episodes.  

Ohhhhhh mannnn, just finished watching episode 1 and I am now officially on this boat!!! I loved it!
I was gonna determine this maybe after 4 episodes, but dang this cast is too beautiful! cinematography is fabulous and songs are grreat!

Lee Min Ho! Lee Min Ho!!! I LOVEEE YOU!!!!!  :x :x :x
Park Shin Hye and Lee Min Ho look great together, they pull off good young characters!
LMH in surfer boy clothes........oh mmaaa loorrdie!! maaaa feeelllllss, he looks so good!
his English was so funny and cute at the same time, but props to him and all the others who put in their best efforts in speaking English! =D>

I hate when I watch dramas that have like that one person speaking english and that other person responds back in korean (and vice versa) (cue: master's sun: joong won's dad and his ladiesss...lol). I'm not sure if I like the whole America thing, but guess I'll have to get over it... :-?

some things that I see kinda different within this first episode is how Kim Tan's mom is.....she doesn't seem like the total b***h mom that we all can expect. buuuuuut who knows it is only episode 1....I just don't get that vibe from her so, we shall see on!

I think someone mentioned earlier that KWB (young do) and KJW (rachel) reminded them of Chuck and Blaire.........I totally get that feeling!!! it's so weird but I sooooooo do!!

I took sign language back in highschool and experienced the whole notebook writing thing when it got difficult to explain, it's quite tough so props to Kim Mi Kyung playing Park Shin Hye/Eun Sang's mom for displaying the use of sign language! What a busy year it's been for her! lots of dramas!

did anyone notice Jo Yoon Woo aka Ah Rang from dating agency cyrano aka the poor boy who got bullied! He always makes such the perfect guy friend to have in dramas and that's how I see Chang Young (kang min hyuk) and Eun Sang's relationship. Good friendship there, minus the whole "he has a paranoid GF"

oh yeah and CJH!!!! such a hottie too!

overall it was a good start, I enjoy it so far can't wait for the next episode!!! :D