[Drama 2012] The Great Seer 대풍수

Admin

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that I am the first to write my thoughts about the final episodes. Here they are.

So, the history goes on. Goryeo had fell and it was time for Joseon. There were changes for the better for sure but human greed, political ambitions were still the same.

The 34th episode was so-so for me. Even if it was not my favorite I still found some likeable scenes:
- Hae-in`s words to a reluctant LSG that if he will refuse to take the throne now, all the sacrifices would have been in vain.
- the parallel between the new king and his queen on the day of coronation: a happy queen because she fulfilled her ambition and a worried king, who was burdened with responsibility of his new role.
- Banya and Ji-sang`s conversation about the end of Goryeo. A dynasty just fell but it`s quiet and the supporters of Goryeo should be weeping but they did nothing. I am glad that Ji-sang knew Jung-geun had revenge in his mind. 
-a few moments of normal life with JG and BY.

I have to rant a little. For me the end of Banya was forced. I did not feel the gravity of her gesture. It was not the actor/actress fault. They did a good job with the material they got. JG desperately wanted to enter in the court to stop Banya and my only thought was that Ji-sang looks so handsome in red minister`s clothes.
Bany`s plan was stupid. In the paper, I am sure that her gesture had significance. She sacrificed her happiness with the man she loved, even her life to take revenge on LSG in the name of the former dynasty. She said that was her duty as Great Queen. Wrong. She was never the Queen. She was the biological mother of King U and that`s it. She was pushed away from the beginning and she did not participated directly in the politics. I think that in the first script, her role was more complex. She had to beat Priestess at her game much earlier and take her place, but that never happened. I almost forgot about her ambition, her loss. In the end she spend time like a normal wife: serving drinks, making food for her husband, being a worried wife, etc. She find her place in the world. She seemed happy. She was an ordinary person but in her mind she thought she had a grand role. The decision was reckless. It was an emotional reaction. I understand that but still... to go on a suicidal mission with a knife to kill the former general LSG  with the lowest rate of success possible was so absurd. The end of rant. 

I loved the final episode.
- I felt the tension between the Ji-sang/Bang-won/Ji ran`s side and Sam Bong/The Queen`s side.
- I loved that LSG never doubt Ji-sang despite the fake evidence;
- Hae-in saved Ji-sang;
- I just knew Hae-in wasn`t dead but the scene when Ji-sang realized that Hae-in was the one who saved him by sacrificing herself was heartbreaking. Kudos to Ji- Sung! What a great performance! That was my favorite scene.
- Jung-geun had a redeeming dead. He save Hae-in. I liked that he realized in the end that he was loved by many people. Too bad he did not feel that sooner. He did not died alone. HI and JS share a tear for him.
- Ji sang-and Hae-in had a happy ending. They deserved it so much.
- Ji-sang`s smile. He looked back at the past with a smile on his face knowing that he managed to fulfill his dream, to do a great thing even without recognition of history. He left there in the past his sadness, his mistakes, his ambition. He smiled for the future as well. He took with him the family and his happiness, what was the most important in his life.
- I am sad for Lee Sung-Gye. He lost a good adviser, a friend. I know that he will try to rule with responsibility. Knowing the real history, I am sad that Jung-geun`s plan worked: in the end he will be heartbroken. Maybe that was the prize he had to pay, maybe that was his destiny.
- I loved the ending credits. All the pictures were great. The cast, the working crew of The Great Seer were wonderful. Kudos to all!

Sorry for the long post! 
:)

Finally finished the drama and thought the ending was so-so. Felt very rushed and too many loose threads.

Why exactly is Ji Sang not being recorded in history (other than him being a fictional character and all ;)) But they could have at least given us a reason. And the reveal and finding of Ja Mi Won was so anticlimactic. So was the death of Banya. What were Sam Bong's motivations, well we will never know now.

Expected the redeeming end for Jung Geun. I have to agree that Song Ui Chang was the lead in this drama, it seemed like he had more scenes than Ji Sung and Kim So Yeon. I mean they spent more time developing the Jung geun and Ban Ya storyline than they did for Hae In and Ji Sang.

All in all, this drama had a lot of issues, but it was enjoyable. Won't go down as a classic, but definitely not the worst.

But again, I have lowered my grading curve for sageuks, anything that surpasses the video below, starts of with at least a "C" Grade

ps- the music, David Bowie's Under Pressure is not dubbed in that was original to the scene, the fake horse is an added bonus :D

I agree that the ending seems rushed but I forgive that. I think they did the right thing ending this drama on 35 episode. In a way I would have wanted to see the original concept but I was satisfied with what I saw. I love this drama with all its faults. It was an enjoyable show for me. I love history and I`m enjoying the mix of history and fantasy. IMO, the leads were Ji sung and Ji Jin Hee. I loved the actors and their characters. The show would not have been the same without them.

@DJG: yeah, about Ji sang not remaining in history. I can`t find at this moment an explanation. Maybe erasing him from the history was Sam Bong and the queen`s condition for his freedom. I was surprised that Do jun and the queen smiled at the news that Ji-sang, Hae-in, his father and that gisaeng house were burned in the fire. They said the same words: they have to be erase from history. I felt that all the fire was a set up and The queen and Do jun have known as well about that.

The clip was hilarious. Fake horses? I never thought somebody could used them in a film. Maybe it was an old drama. The song... :))  Maybe they were under pressure not to fall off their horses.

Since it is time for final thoughts I have a few to add as well.

I had really looked forward to this sageuk because of the cast and the time period it was to cover.  There were definitely some high points - many of them involved Ya Sook, lol - but as the drama advanced and they had to make big changes to meet their budget (or their lack of it) the production began to fall apart like an over cooked souffle! 

It felt like the last two episodes were just an attempt to put it back together and patch it up to make it presentable if not edible.

Early on I believe I read that Ban Ya's role was to have replaced the head priestess?  It seems like when they had to make their big changes they took the role of villain that she was to play and gave it to the Lee Sang Gye's wife instead. 

Think of all the characters they introduced into the plot just to simply lose them - wives were particularly disposable, what happened to Lee In Im's second wife, to Ji Sang's foster mother, to the former priestess turned gisaeng who helped Lee Sang Gye early on? 

One thing I always remind myself when watching any film that is supposed to be about historical events and that is don't learn your history from the film industry!  ;)

This drama was a great example of  the wise proverb that one should count the cost before embarking on anything.  It was rather like someone who begins to build a house and finds halfway through they don't have near enough money to finish what they had planned and so they start chopping this and that out of the plans and the dream house ends up looking very little like what they had hoped to build.

I do hope that some of the young actors in this one will win parts in other dramas where we can see them shine!

A nice ending summary from Semilla on Viki

So The Great Seer has ended, and I guess if there had been at least some narration to explain what happens to the queen and the princes may have been nice for international viewers, but this show did not include anything like that. Most Koreans know what happens next, as it is our "history," and here I'll explain some of the things in a nutshell.

When Lee Sung Gye took the throne, his first wife (hometown wife) had already died, and he made this second wife (capital wife) his true queen, making the first wife's position essentially that of a concubine. This, of course, did not sit well with the first 6 of his sons who were her offsprings. When Lee Sung Gye made the youngest son the crown prince, that was even more reason for the older sons to get upset. The final straw was when Jung Do Jun prepared for (again?) Yodong (Liaodong) conquest. The princes thought that the campaign was a ruse to attack and kill all the older princes. So they attacked first. Killed the two youngest princes and Jung Do Jun. The queen had died of illness shortly before that, so she died in peace while her son was still crown prince.

The second son of Lee Sung Gye (one of the two who had replaced Lee Bang Won as hostates) was appointed as crown prince, to emphasize the Confucian virtue of seniority. After about a month, Lee Sung Gye, who was mad at his sons, abdicated the throne. Then, prince #4 got ambitious, and started attacking his brother Bang Won (prince #5), but was defeated, and Bang Won was named heir to the throne. A few months later, the king abdicated as well, making Lee Bang Won the third king of Josun, King Taejong.

Taejo (Lee Sung Gye) was very mad at Taejong, and I've described the legend about Hamheung messengers before. After Taejo died, Taejong changed the titles/positions of his father's two queens so that his mother would be considered the true queen and the second wife be considered as a concubine. Generations later, she gets reinstated to the queen's position, but only as a replacement of the first queen.

The irony about Jung Do Jun's fate is that after he was killed, Taejong worked on discrediting his accomplishments, and one of the ways he did that was to choose to honor Jung Mong Joo (whom he had killed as well earlier) as a true exemplary scholar and in contrast, trashing Jung Do Jun.

If you watch Tree with Deep Roots, you'll see that Jung Do Jun had planned to create a new state that was run by ministers, so that even if the king happened to be not king material, the ministers could take care of things. For that purpose, he seems to have supported the youngest prince being crown prince.

Apparently, it is Mongolian tradition to choose the youngest son as one's heir. Some people try to discredit the Lee Dynasty because they had been serving Yuan for five generations, making them like naturalized Mongolians.

Lee Bang Won's character in The Great Seer didn't seem that impressive, but historically, he was a shrewd and determined ruler. Once he was in power, he killed many of his own allies who had helped him get there so far (including his brothers-in-law) to ensure that he could rule without their interference. He did the same thing for his son, King Sejong the Great, so that when it was time for him to rule, he could have free rein as well.

Moo Hak often visited Lee Sung Gye and they were good friends to the end.

@DJG: You meant Song Ui Chang, right? ;) thanks for the summary.. So interesting to read.. wow its like the continuation of TGS hehe Funny how things ended up, Bang Won discrediting JDJ and honoring JMJ (the one he killed) as a great scholar.. And what is also interesting that LSG initially made his youngest son Crown Prince instead of Bang Won...

@larus: Yeah ep 34 was not too bad, it was focused on Banya/JG... I really didn't feel any sympathy for Banya, she could have actually lived a peaceful life with JG if she was not bent on revenge.. And yes, she was really reckless (and stupid) for going on a 'suicide' Her chances of succeeding were zero so I don't understand why she would think she could even lay a finger on LSG... Well I guess I can let that slide and rationalize her 'stupidity' as losing her mind and just wanting to bring justice to her dead son... I must say Banya and LSG are exactly the same.. It's peculiar how both realized their wrongdoings before their deaths.. I was truly rolling my eyes because Banya realized at the brink of death that all this time, her greed of power did not satisfy her in any way, it just brought grief and misery to her.. I truly think her happiness is to have a normal life, be someone's wife, raise a family etc.. Unfortunately, she put herself in this position.

As for JG... he realized too late... I am not sure how he saw his father's love towards him but definitely JY showered him with alot of affection. His final moments were quite nice since they put flashbacks of his dad, YJ and Banya.. I am surprised that he was intent in ruining LSG.. he told JS that he could not let go of his revenge because LSG killed his father and mother.. I can understand the father part but really, his mother? I never thought JG showed any affection to the Priestess... Sometimes I find his character irregular. One point he tells the Priestess he'd never acknowledged her as mother then few eps down, he calls her 'mother' LOL Enough of my lil rant, JG was too blinded and selfish not to see that others cared for him, and that's what led him to his demise.. He believed that he was abandoned by people he loved (YJ, HI) and unfortunately that loneliness fed to his greed for power...  Anyways, I am glad at least he redeemed himself by revealing HI location..

I loved some parts in ep 35. Yeah I can tell it was rushed.. I don't blame the writers/PD, they were most likely trying to tie up loose ends as neatly as possible. I agree with you @DJG, the finding of JMW was anticlimatic.. And I must say JG found JMW!!??? I thought only JS could find the Great Site.. I guess the writers did not know how to off JG so they prob just combined finding JMW/killing JG in one long scene?  :P

Best scene in ep 35 was when JS found about about HI's death... Aww man.. JS is such a good actor when it comes to emotional scenes.. He nailed it and I teared up knowing that his world had crashed and it seemed he had no purpose in life after her 'supposed' death.. I was so glad the lovers reunited and had their well deserved ending... I am ecstatic that three of them went off somewhere far from politics and (hopefully) lived a peaceful yet happy simple life. I think this was the only way for them to live..

Yeah I am confused too... So I guess JDJ and LSG wife really thought they killed JS/HI??? But the King obviously let JS go... Yeah JDJ is soo sly I assume he just wants to control LSG like what LII was doing to King U???? I understand why LSG's wife did what she did, she just wanted her sons to become crown prince, just like what Banya was doing all her life....

Overall, I am glad I stuck with this drama to the end... I loved it even with all its flaws... Yes the writing is sometimes incoherent and slack, some characters are not developed fully so their actions are questioned time to time... But at least it was entertaining imho lol I give kudos to JJH and JS.. They shined in the drama.. JJH probably excels in the king's role since he has done so many... JS is awesome as Ji Sang... KSY did really well as JS' love interest... Her character was not the most interesting but she gave HI a bit of 'life/character' when she had screentime where possible... I loved her chemistry with Ji Sung, very mature and subtle... HI/JS relationship is not overly romantic but very deep, they risked their lives for each other without the need to say anything.. I will remember their relationship for quite a while... LYJ was a waste in here since her character was really pushed at the back... her character was not fleshed out so sometimes her motivations were confusing... I loved others too who played LII, YS, JR etc. Anyways, I am glad it is finished and can see the crew worked hard in the credits... Round of applause for them :x

The only thing that saved the ending for me was HI being alive which led to a happy ending for her and JS, which felt long overdue from all the misunderstandings to the obstacles they both went through.  Even though JG’s spared HI’s life, that wasn’t enough to redeem himself.  I still dislike JG til the bitter end, because JS was still a good brother to him no matter what he did, which allows him to plot more evil doings. I understand that is probably what their mother would have wanted, but by the nth time, it gets tiring.  I felt no sympathy for BY and JG's deaths, because they deserve it and each other; also JS and HI has already given them more than enough.

I was surprised too, that JG was able to find the Ja Mi Won, because it was mentioned several times JS was only destined to find it and can only read the map.  Even HI’s father wasn’t able to.  I agree the Ja Mi Won discovery felt anticlimactic because it felt rushed, and it felt like JS’s years of work/service was solved quickly by the appearance of the little monk boy, added to the fact that LSG’s climax was finally being crowned king, which also took forever, overshadowed, and depreciated the value of the Ja Mi Won event.

Otherwise this drama has a beautiful OST (which I am downloading), and I’m just glad it was easy to follow along with all the time skips and my minimal knowledge of Korean history.  Also, I love JJH as LSG, although he lost his charisma in the latter half, he makes a great (& good looking) king.  I also agree that I love the fact that he did not waiver his trust with JS.  YS was also one of my favorite character, and I missed his presence after he died.  The only thing I wish they also show was what happened to BW. Lastly, kudos to Ji Sung (the actor), I actually liked him in this non-fighting role for a sageuk.

Guest united06

Hi Everyone,
The Great Seer Episodes 34-35 English Soft-Sub Subtitles are out.

Posted Image

The Great Seer Episodes 34-35 English Subtitles is a Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6107-the-great-seer-2012/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

Thanks conankung for the interview... I wonder what they said about ending TGS... I really miss HI/JS just from watching those interviews lol 
Anyways I have to say many thanks to you guys who made this thread more alive. Love reading all your thoughts and discussions, made the watching more exciting :) 

• 2 weeks later...

such a good saeguk drama.....perfect ending...i thought they gonna killed jisang but they just erased him from the history its understandable because the drama cannot be contradict with what has been written on the history....this drama is so underrated...should get more attention

I saw this title a while back and had the intention to follow when it came out (because I do like JJH and JS) but then after watching a bit of ep 1 I stopped.  I couldn't get through the fake rain scene which looked really unnatural.  It didn't look appealing to me.  I was going to get back into but never did.

Fast forward many months later, I accidentally stumbled upon "King of Dramas" dubbed.  Before my eyes, Choi Tae Joon flashed by for a few seconds.  It was the charming lad with a face that edged in my memory from the distant past *ahem* of many moons ago.  I thought after making my heart go padam padam, he went back into hiding so I had to put away my yearning for those dark dark brows and the sexy lips.  Now that I know he's out on screen again, I went gathering my intel up and down the alley of google engine and found out that he was in this drama.  Furthermore, his role seemed impressive.  This was enough for me to jump right into The Great Seer once again.

After some trials and errors, I found out that my boy CTJ made his entrance in ep 23 emphasized by getting 3 slaps (2 from JS and 1 from his father.  Oh, my heart bleeds.)  At any rate, I skipped some eps due to lack of his presence but overall he performed very well.  I was hoping he would have more screen time and lines.  I thought his character would have been more badass but oh well.  The story wasn't about him.  I should just be glad that I get to see his dark brows once again.

As for this drama, I don't feel too hot about it.  All was well and good for a few eps in the 20s (where I started), the part when LSG prepping and almost went to war with Ming then it went down hill from there.  When LSG sent messenger back to the King asking to retreat due to the rain and Choi told him to fight and not run like a little girl, I thought to myself old man Choi was so damn right.  War fighting men don't run from rain, well at least not the war fighting men I've been watching from various HK series (like Li Shimin in Grand Canal.)  But I understand.  I mean LSG had to go back and get the throne so I tried to buy into the rain excuse.  I want to see him claim the throne just so I can see Bang Won start playing nasty prince or something.  But no, old man LSG started to drag his feet for another 10 eps to make up his mind.  Meanwhile, I was wishing the dirt bag JG would drop dead.  I mean this dude has more lives than a cat that has nine lives.  He keeps getting out of death when all the bad guys took their turn to die.  Why the hell didn't he take his turn to die so I could see some new bad guy?

So anyways, things just seemed so tiring at the ending.  I just didn't care anymore because I've already figured that Bang-won wasn't getting anymore screen time.  The good thing about the end was that the dirt bag JG finally died.  Good riddance.  And of course hero JS and his sweetheart waltzing happily toward the sunset.  But where is Bang-won?  Eh, never mind.  I might have skimmed through it.

• 2 weeks later...

This drama is a good example of how a lousy script and director can ruin a drama.  The main actors are all really good - not problem there - but the script and direction is comical at times that it is not intended to be.  The Priestess is a cartoonish evil character, and seriously, casting department, how could you keep the same actress for the priestess, but have a new one for Ji Sang's mother, Young Yi??? Confusing at best.  A lot of overacting by the minor characters - King Gongmin, and the revolutionary Jeong De Jeong in the last episodes.  Sad.  This could have been a really good story.  I feel badly for the lead actors.

Hello. Can anyone please post a link here to the instrumental songs of this drama? I loved them so much, but I can't find them over the internet, except for vocal songs, which are not so good compared with instrumental ones. Thanks in advance!

• 2 years later...

I am really a latecomer to this drama.  Fantastic main cast and supporting cast. That's the reason I started watchng the drama but I am surprised by the single digit ratings. Glad I didn't look at the ratings before watching this.

JJH always makes his characters sooooo lovable although I am not sure if King Taejo and King Sukjong are really so. If I start watching Six Flying Dragons, I might start to hate King Taejo and King Taejong......

Archived