Here's some interesting things JH shared on Gym-JongKook YT recent clip:

- His blood type is O

- His personality type is INFJ

- He wanted to get the pro boxing license so that he can encourage CTH, HKM and HKI to exercise more. He wants to teach them boxing.

-JH and KJK want to do an English content video for Gym-JongKook next time. (Yeah!😆) Hyuk suggested that for their next trip, they will speak in korean for 30 min and in English for the rest of the time. (I think it will be funny and interesting)

- HKI asked if he could hear them cheering for him. JH said he couldn't hear anything except for the sound of his opponent hitting him. JH said it's painful as he got hit a lot, and sometimes at the same spot. He joked that he didn’t give up because of the Gym-JongKook video camera filming him 

- They were worried about him when they dropped him off at his home (he kept coughing when he was talking them). KJK told him to give them a call (in case he collapsed home) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Here's some interesting things JH shared on Gym-JongKook YT recent clip:

- His blood type is O

- His personality type is INFJ

- He wanted to get the pro boxing license so that he can encourage CTH, HKM and HKI to exercise more. He wants to teach them boxing.

-JH and KJK want to do an English content video for Gym-JongKook next time. (Yeah!😆) Hyuk suggested that for their next trip, they will speak in korean for 30 min and in English for the rest of the time. (I think it will be funny and interesting)

- HKI asked if he could hear them cheering for him. JH said he couldn't hear anything except for the sound of his opponent hitting him. JH said it's painful as he got hit a lot, and sometimes at the same spot. He joked that he didn’t give up because of the Gym-JongKook video camera filming him 

- They were worried about him when they dropped him off at his home (he kept coughing when he was talking them). KJK told him to give them a call (in case he collapsed home) 

The Koreans obsession with personality types is baffling to me. Not so long ago I actually heard that these personality tests and definition have actually been shown be nonsense. JH's personality is way too unique to suit into any definition... :)

So this means that JH is actually not planning on competing? He just wants to become a trainer?

• Like 1

@Biology Lesson But the personality type is based on a person’s answers so its at least closer to reality than maybe astrology? I did it and found it to be somewhat logical. However, if a person is deluded about oneself perhaps will get inaccurate results. But its at least a result of the person’s answers therefore close to how the person perceives him/herself. 

@azureblue7 I didn’t watch the fight but sounds like it was rough on him. Im glad his friends were there with him. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson But the personality type is based on a person’s answers so its at least closer to reality than maybe astrology? I did it and found it to be somewhat logical. However, if a person is deluded about oneself perhaps will get inaccurate results. But its at least a result of the person’s answers therefore close to how the person perceives him/herself. 

Not sure. I think they said that it's a simplistic way to look at a person. For sure you'd get a result that will be related to you, but when you answer these questionairres, you often answer how you wished you'd behave, not nescesarily how you'd actually behave. In Korea they seem to be obsessed with these definitions, and I really don't understand why. Why do they feel they need to put themselves in a box, instead of simply allowing people to make their own judgement of them as they get to know each other? And as we've often discussed- personality wise, can JH really be put any common box? Personality wise he's one of the most unique and complex people I have ever seen

18 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@azureblue7 I didn’t watch the fight but sounds like it was rough on him. Im glad his friends were there with him. 

Me too. On both statements :) 

• Like 2

Started watching episode 1 of Urban Cops on YT and I'm really digging JH in this. I think he would make a good cop and I'd love to see him play this version of himself in a more realistic cop show (not like TMWYS or Voice were you know it's dramatised)

It also made me think that I'd prefer he does more reality TV in between projects, such as Urban Cops, where he gets to learn and use his skills instead of appearing on variety shows

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, YouwinJH said:

Started watching episode 1 of Urban Cops on YT and I'm really digging JH in this. I think he would make a good cop and I'd love to see him play this version of himself in a more realistic cop show (not like TMWYS or Voice were you know it's dramatised)

It also made me think that I'd prefer he does more reality TV in between projects, such as Urban Cops, where he gets to learn and use his skills instead of appearing on variety shows

I agree, I loved him in this- being allowed to be his serious self. It was fascinating to see his process- I won't spoil it for you, I will just say it's very methodical and observant. Also very quiet. I also would love to see him play that version of a cop- very serious and quiet on the one hand, and very goofy on the other. No bluster, no posture, no yelling. Just very calm and reasonable. And bumbling :) I would also love to see him play the captain's version of a cop. I won't spoil it for you, just will say that that will be epic!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

OK so I fall into the camp of actually not being attracted to JH. Objectively, he's very attractive and there have been moments with some of his characters that have made me go gahh

However, I'm really quite taken with his soft spoken side. There was a clip in the first episode of Urban Cops where they show him reading the Miranda rights to presumably a perp who was apprehended. I keep replaying that. He sounds so hot. What is happening? HELP!!!😱

• LOL 2

14 hours ago, YouwinJH said:

OK so I fall into the camp of actually not being attracted to JH. Objectively, he's very attractive and there have been moments with some of his characters that have made me go gahh

However, I'm really quite taken with his soft spoken side. There was a clip in the first episode of Urban Cops where they show him reading the Miranda rights to presumably a perp who was apprehended. I keep replaying that. He sounds so hot. What is happening? HELP!!!😱

Really?? Time to go back to ep 1 to rewatch that. Haha!

Btw, I always love his soft spoken side..:kiss_wink:

• Like 2

Found this page where they post casting news

https://www.instagram.com/dramaologyy?igsh=MXB2dDE5bTJlM3V6MQ==

There is a dearth of work but clearly not for some actors

Also, came across a Jung Woo Sung casting news with Hyun Bin. JWS puzzles me a bit because he makes his own movies and him and JH are quite friendly. I wonder why they've never crossed paths on a film set before?

JH's networks in Korea apart from Dragon Bros seem to be too weak imo or at least don't translate into opportunities. I'm hoping a new casting news will prove me wrong

One thing I'm a little confused about is, is he starting his own production company, going after HW or doing both?

I'm neither here nor there about HW frankly I think it is also overcrowded and there are Asian American actors to consider. What is potentially exciting to me is him starting his own prod company. In particular, he could start by buying the rights to obscure yet interesting webtoons and turn them into live action shows. Those will be less expensive than the popular ones. If not webtoons, then books, etc. The content is out there and that might be a way to get a fledgling company off the ground. He should also not limit himself to action stories and unlike others who have walked this path before he doesn't always have to be in front of the camera. There is a growing market for young adult shows. He could also produce those and direct if he's up to the challenge

Just shooting ideas because I realise there is so much that goes into brand building. What I've seen so far, from the poca album and variety shows, is that JH is boxing himself into a category. He also needs a team that he can brainstorm ideas with and who also have their own opinions and experience to bring to the table. So far all his efforts seems to be self-directed and it shows because it seems all over the place (imo). For instance, I still don't understand his decision to do the house husband show. And now he wants to do a drama with the same premise, which sounds like a bore fest to me

It's been another slow news week. April is just round the corner

On 3/13/2024 at 7:42 PM, Biology Lesson said:

I think this post show exactly why what JH is doing is super smart. He has seen the drought of scripts coming way sooner than others, and he's working to create his own opportunities. Kinda like he did with TJ. I actually think that going the action rout is a good choice, as there's a big fandom for martial arts. I just think for the begining he needs to stick to the swordfights and historicals, as his skill in them is unparalleled

I actually agree with you @Biology Lesson that he should play to his strengths when it comes to how he approaches action. For me, the way he talks about action is a little too quaint and idealistic (perhaps niche). It makes me question whether he understands what his audience wants / are used to (big set pieces, CGI, gratuitous violence) as opposed to doing the type of action he likes. I don't think there is a hierarchy of action or people particularly care for the nuances between straight action versus other action (unless you're a film buff like Derek). Perhaps opening himself up to other types of action like thrillers would be helpful

Action is popular but it is also a crowded market especially if you factor what other K stars are doing like Ma Dong-seok and even Jo In Sung. Even if it's not personally to my taste, I've been looking at the numbers for recent Korean BO releases and they're pretty impressive for action, thriller and fantasy. You should also factor Asian American actors who already have the language skills and can get stunt people to do the more physically demanding bits if they lack the skills. That said, they also do not want to be typecasted and want to play a range of characters

JH has an opening because I think The Swordsman in particular got his name out there and international audiences are aware of him because of it. What happens next is key. Looks like we're getting a TV show and it would be great if it is picked up by Netflix. Family was terrible but it was badly marketed to international audiences (they failed to capitalise on the success of FTLY) and Disney is also not the most accessible platform

For films, if not historical and swords, he should probably start with the commercial route. I know you abhor Disney and their franchises. While I don't think getting a bit part in a HW production is the way to go, there are plenty of pan-Asian content to get involved with - like Joe Taslim and the Japanese actor in Shogun who quite flexibly move into different worlds. I suspect this is what JH is hoping for by learning English. For instance, I would be happy with a role in some live action anime even if he's just a baddie. If it is commercially successful it is a nice stepping stone to other stuff because money speaks. A vision is not sustainable without it

Oh and like you I'd prefer if they stop referring to him as Korean Bruce Lee. The connection is at best tenuous and overblown imo

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

7 hours ago, YouwinJH said:

Found this page where they post casting news

https://www.instagram.com/dramaologyy?igsh=MXB2dDE5bTJlM3V6MQ==

There is a dearth of work but clearly not for some actors

Also, came across a Jung Woo Sung casting news with Hyun Bin. JWS puzzles me a bit because he makes his own movies and him and JH are quite friendly. I wonder why they've never crossed paths on a film set before?

JH's networks in Korea apart from Dragon Bros seem to be too weak imo or at least don't translate into opportunities. I'm hoping a new casting news will prove me wrong

This is something I also wonder about. The relationships JH has within the K entertainment world. JH has accumulated friends with whom he worked in the past, and he seems to be mostly connected with them. Usually he is the one that takes care of them projects-wise, not the other way around. Also- there is a clear break marked by his military service. Before- I think he used to hang around with other leading men of his generation, and after the army- not so much.  

As to working with JWS- I think it will be a bit strange considering how much they look a like... Maybe a project about brothers? I don't know...

One thing I'm a little confused about is, is he starting his own production company, going after HW or doing both?

I'm neither here nor there about HW frankly I think it is also overcrowded and there are Asian American actors to consider. What is potentially exciting to me is him starting his own prod company. In particular, he could start by buying the rights to obscure yet interesting webtoons and turn them into live action shows. Those will be less expensive than the popular ones. If not webtoons, then books, etc. The content is out there and that might be a way to get a fledgling company off the ground. He should also not limit himself to action stories and unlike others who have walked this path before he doesn't always have to be in front of the camera. There is a growing market for young adult shows. He could also produce those and direct if he's up to the challenge

Just shooting ideas because I realise there is so much that goes into brand building. What I've seen so far, from the poca album and variety shows, is that JH is boxing himself into a category. He also needs a team that he can brainstorm ideas with and who also have their own opinions and experience to bring to the table. So far all his efforts seems to be self-directed and it shows because it seems all over the place (imo). For instance, I still don't understand his decision to do the house husband show. And now he wants to do a drama with the same premise, which sounds like a bore fest to me

It's been another slow news week. April is just round the corner

He is not starting a production company, but an action production company. I think what he wants is to produce action scenes for various projects. I know that in American movies they will employ a different director just for action scenes, so I think this is the market he's trying to get into.

I think what he has taken on himself is super hard and risky, and I love that he himself acknowledges that he might make mistakes along the way. As I recall in the begining, when Aamir Khan started doing more serious projects, he was mercilessly mocked by his peers. I just wish for JH that he will have Aamir courage and insight in choosing projects.

I actually agree with you @Biology Lesson that he should play to his strengths when it comes to how he approaches action. For me, the way he talks about action is a little too quaint and idealistic (perhaps niche). It makes me question whether he understands what his audience wants / are used to (big set pieces, CGI, gratuitous violence) as opposed to doing the type of action he likes. I don't think there is a hierarchy of action or people particularly care for the nuances between straight action versus other action (unless you're a film buff like Derek). Perhaps opening himself up to other types of action like thrillers would be helpful

I don't think that people prefer CGI. What Top Gun, Mission impossible and John Wick have proven is that people crave realistic looking action, and this is JH's strength. I truelly have no idea what he is planning, but it's clear he's not jumping into it- there is a lot of planning going into it, it seems. Sometimes too much planning can be a problem as things might end up looking too slick. But there really is no formula for JH is planning right now, or to what type of movie will succede. So it's a gamble, no matter what he'll do. I agree there are more Asian actors in Hollywood right now, but most of them are still cast into the same traditional roles. I agree that JH should limit himself to straight action and do thrillers and even comedies, cause one advantage he has over most action actors- he can actually act! :) 

Action is popular but it is also a crowded market especially if you factor what other K stars are doing like Ma Dong-seok and even Jo In Sung. Even if it's not personally to my taste, I've been looking at the numbers for recent Korean BO releases and they're pretty impressive for action, thriller and fantasy. You should also factor Asian American actors who already have the language skills and can get stunt people to do the more physically demanding bits if they lack the skills. That said, they also do not want to be typecasted and want to play a range of characters

JH has an opening because I think The Swordsman in particular got his name out there and international audiences are aware of him because of it. What happens next is key. Looks like we're getting a TV show and it would be great if it is picked up by Netflix. Family was terrible but it was badly marketed to international audiences (they failed to capitalise on the success of FTLY) and Disney is also not the most accessible platform

For films, if not historical and swords, he should probably start with the commercial route. I know you abhor Disney and their franchises. While I don't think getting a bit part in a HW production is the way to go, there are plenty of pan-Asian content to get involved with - like Joe Taslim and the Japanese actor in Shogun who quite flexibly move into different worlds. I suspect this is what JH is hoping for by learning English. For instance, I would be happy with a role in some live action anime even if he's just a baddie. If it is commercially successful it is a nice stepping stone to other stuff because money speaks. A vision is not sustainable without it

Oh and like you I'd prefer if they stop referring to him as Korean Bruce Lee. The connection is at best tenuous and overblown imo

No to Disney. Never disney! 

But the rest of your ideas I agree with- a show like Shogun is a great idea. For instance there is the movie 47 ronin, that I think was ruined by the fact that everyone spoke English. They should have had the courage and have Keanu speak Japanease. So something like that, a project in English that will allow JH to be Korean in it will be the best. I still think he should do another Swordsman movie, with romance hopefully :)  Also, live action anime would be great- I already mentioned Spy family, that Family should have been based on. Or the show with the ex-Yakuza househusband. Anyone of successful animes could be great! 

• Insightful 2

@Biology Lesson I don't think JH and JWS look alike these days. JH's face is more dynamic and versatile imo. Maybe when he was younger and had more baby fat on him they looke alike. JWS is a typical handsome man but a little baby-faced looking like Song Joongki

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I don't think that people prefer CGI. What Top Gun, Mission impossible and John Wick have proven is that people crave realistic looking action, and this is JH's strength. I truelly have no idea what he is planning, but it's clear he's not jumping into it- there is a lot of planning going into it, it seems. Sometimes too much planning can be a problem as things might end up looking too slick. But there really is no formula for JH is planning right now, or to what type of movie will succede. So it's a gamble, no matter what he'll do. I agree there are more Asian actors in Hollywood right now, but most of them are still cast into the same traditional roles. I agree that JH should limit himself to straight action and do thrillers and even comedies, cause one advantage he has over most action actors- he can actually act! :) 

I agree that JH can act but I don't think he does realistic looking action. For me, it's too choreographed. He doesn't even break a sweat (except in The Swordsman) and from a layman who has seen him fight several times the moves are too familiar to have become boring to me. That's why the bus scene in Family was so refreshing because he was fighting someone with a different style and weight class so he had to be fast on his feet and innovative. This is why it is the best fight of his to date imo and the only thing I want to rewatch from the show. I almost forgot but I actually love the ending fight scene in TMWYS. Imo JH is actually good at 1-1 fights because the adrenaline and his competitiveness naturally comes through, and he becomes really dynamic and more ruthless just like when he's sparing. That TMWYS scene was so damn hot! Oh and in Bad Papa when he was sparing with Andrew (Ongals) you could definitely it was more JH than his character. How he gets out of sticky situations, his ego, his competitiveness are things that should be incorporated more into his fight scenes. It's more interesting to watch. Not the vanilla stuff

As bloody as The Killer was, I would have liked to see the cocksure way the character behaves coming across in the fights as well. Instead we got a detached killing machine - they should have humanised him a little more in the fights. I think it probably needed one more fight scene - that one punch thing with the big guy doesn't count - and it would have totally transformed the film for me. I'm going to rewatch the final scene from TMWYS and I would actually like him to work with the baddie again. I wish he'd had proper fight scene with the actor in Paid in Blood. That too would have transformed the movie for me. Instead we got the usual group fight followed by his rather anticlimatic death. Yes someone like his character would die eventually but he should have made the actor work for it

Group fights (not just when JH does them) are unrealistic maybe because the people attacking him are not actors and so I don't get the intent or sense of urgency from them. And even though he's being attacked on multiple fronts, I don't see the strain / challenge but the choreography. It feels rather light touch. It is also the way the fights are shot that makes it boring to me. Slo mo and dramatic pauses are lame in my view

Someone like JH who is lithe should be doing things that show his agility, flexibility and speed. By speed I don't mean the zippy way his fight scenes are shot. The Swordsman did quite well with it....it wasn't about the hits but how well he navigated the space and the constraints around him. If we're having any hand to hand combat, I would like something that's rough around the edges - TMWYS and Family bus scene are good examples of this. Mind you this is a matter of preference. JH is never going to be bulky but that Family bus scene showed me he can competently fight people like that and 1-1 makes it easier to clearly see the technique and effort that goes into it

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

I agree that JH can act but I don't think he does realistic looking action. For me, it's too choreographed. He doesn't even break a sweat (except in The Swordsman) and from a layman who has seen him fight several times the moves are too familiar to have become boring to me. That's why the bus scene in Family was so refreshing because he was fighting someone with a different style and weight class so he had to be fast on his feet and innovative. This is why it is the best fight of his to date imo and the only thing I want to rewatch from the show. I almost forgot but I actually love the ending fight scene in TMWYS. Imo JH is actually good at 1-1 fights because the adrenaline and his competitiveness naturally comes through, and he becomes really dynamic and more ruthless just like when he's sparing. That TMWYS scene was so damn hot! Oh and in Bad Papa when he was sparing with Andrew (Ongals) you could definitely it was more JH than his character. How he gets out of sticky situations, his ego, his competitiveness are things that should be incorporated more into his fight scenes. It's more interesting to watch. Not the vanilla stuff. As bloody as The Killer was, I would have liked to see the cocksure way the character behaves coming across in the fights as well. I think it probably needed one more fight scene - that one punch thing with the big guy doesn't count - and it would have totally transformed the film for me. I'm going to watch the final scene from TMWYS again and I would actually like him to work with the baddie again. I wish he'd had proper fight scene with the actor in Paid in Blood. That too would have transformed the movie for me. Instead we got the usual group fight followed by his rather anticlimatic death. Yes someone like his character would die eventually but he should have made the actor work for it

Group fights (not just when JH does them) are unrealistic maybe because the people attacking him are not actors and so I don't get the intent or sense of urgency from them. And even though he's being attacked on multiple fronts, I don't see the strain / challenge but the choreography. It feels rather light touch. It is also the way the fights are shot that makes it boring to me. Slo mo and dramatic pauses are lame in my view

Someone like JH who is lithe should be doing things that show his agility, flexibility and speed. By speed I don't mean the zippy way his fight scenes are shot. The Swordsman did quite well with it....it wasn't about the hits but how well he navigated the space and the constraints around him. If we're having any hand to hand combat, I would like something that's rough around the edges - TMWYS and Family bus scene are good examples of this. Mind you this is a matter of preference. JH is never going to be bulky but that Family bus scene showed me he can competently fight people like that and 1-1 makes it easier to clearly see the technique and effort that goes into it

When I say realistic looking fights, I mean fights that are clearly done mostly by the actor himself, and not by an army of stunt doubles. You mentioned Disney- in the last few years there have been numerous Disney movies and shows in which except for a few close ups, all the fight scenes were obviously done by stunt doubles, especialy when involving a female heroine. Even worse, in some scenes, they actually CGId the face of the actor/actress on the body of the stunt double. Obviously all fight scenes are choreographed. JH himself said that it's more like dancing, than fighting. Again, it's a matter of taste- I happen to love the fight scenes in The Killer, since the character JH was playing was all about him not caring and being highly trained. It was fun. Just like the fight scenes in John Wick were obviously highly choreographed. As is every fight scene in a Jackie Chan movie (I know since my nephew forced me to watch many Jackie Chan movies...boring! 😁). As to the Swordsman- At the same time that The Swordsman came out, a Japanese movie named RUROUNI KENSHIN also came out. I watched some of the fight scenes and in them the use of wire and CGI was very obvious, much more obvious than in the Swordsman. I think in The Swordsman there is only one scene that is obvious for that (not to mention the obviously sped up scenes of the "younger" JH character). This is why I also dislike Crouching Tiger...

You started saying that JH doesn't do realistic looking fight scenes, but then you mentioned several scenes in different shows that were more "realistic" or rather "brutal". Which proves- he actually does have range. This is a guy who follows MMA and boxing, so there is no reason to doubt. In Chuno he utilised a style no one from the stunt team could use, so he had to choreograph his own scenes... and the list goes on... We're maybe used to JH's abilities, but in reality, they are quite rare.

Obviously there are other actors that have a more brutal style, like Joe Taslim, but you need to remember that JH is not massive. His fighting style can't be the same as someone bigger. It won't be realistic.

BTW, tried watching Joe Taslim's The Raid, and I admit it was way too brutal for me, so I dropped it very quickly...:crazy:

21 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

I don't think JH and JWS long alike these days. JH's face is more dynamic and versatile imo. Maybe when he was younger and had more baby fat on him they looke alike. JWS is a typical handsome man but a little baby-faced looking like Song Joongki

I looked up pictures of him- and I guess I agree- they don't look that much alike. But I don't think he is as baby faced as Song Joongki. Song Joongki has the actual face of a baby  :D while JWS is very masculine looking. I only tried watching two of his movies, Illang: The Wolf Brigade and "Scarlet Innocence" and I disliked both so I dropped them. I didn't try another one of his projects... I think my reaction to him is similar to my reaction to Lee Byung-Hun- I can see that both are good actors, but they still manage to bore me.

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson you're right I should have said he doesn't do enough of them. I was thinking as I was writing, which is why it was a bit of a contradiction. But from his repertoire of fight scenes, those two scenes were the only ones that stood out for me, and he does have a fondness for group fights, which I dislike and are rarely done well imo. That said, I did love the group fight scenes in Bloodhounds 

I also don't have problems with CGI as long as the intent behind them isn't perfection and sleekness. I loved the fight scenes in Moving well except for the ones with Jo In Sung's character - those were zippy and one dimensional. All the other fights were brutal, chaotic and fun. This is what sometimes I feel is missing with JH's fight scenes - the fun and spontaneity. I don't doubt his ability and dedication to his craft but he seems rather uptight about action choreography. Those scenes I mentioned stood out because they were (looked) spontaneous. I know they were choreographed but I think his competitiveness and the adrenaline loosens him up and it all becomes more fluid and natural versus overly polished. It's the reason why I don't enjoy Steven Segal - he is skilled but the movement are too compact and stingy - he conserves a lot of energy. I prefer something more energetic. I also don't like characters that feel indestructible unless you know you're playing the Terminator

I do like Jacky Chan because his action is fun. That's his style and it works for him. Besides kung-fu movies of the 80s and 90s were overly dramatic and stylised. Maybe because I haven't watched any Bruce Lee movies, I struggle to understand JH's style. I haven't seen the John Wick (though I like Keanu) movies so not sure if it's a fair comparison with JH's style. From experience, Keanu is a down to earth guy and I think that would also come across in his fight style. I think it would be less pretentious. I can't imagine that the way JH fights in The Killer is the way Keanu fights in John Wick - that's not say JH is pretentious perhaps I mean Keanu is more chilled personality wise. I just imagine less fanfare in the way Keanu fights even tho JW films are sleek and have big set pieces

When I think of The Killer for someone reason Kill Bill comes to mind more than John Wick although I can recognise that JW and The Killer have similar cinematography. The Killer feels rather operatic and the small scale nature of the story just did not match JH's ambitiousness with the a action. I think I would like him to do something like it again but in story that's more mindbending and dystopian (unrealistic in a good way!) - like the Hunger Games (which admittedly I haven't seen) but I've seen enough previews to know its grandiose

All of this isn't said as a criticism of JH. Instead it is a plea for better stories that can help him utilise the full range of action he's capable of - from the operatic to the humble

• Like 1

@YouwinJH I will admit that I am with you in liking more realistic looking and brutal fight scenes (but not too brutal). I loved Warrior (though in second viewing I didn't like the director's filming style). I also loved the fight scenes in Never Back down.

This is why to me the fighting scenes in Bad papa were a bit dissappointing. Not hard enough...

And this scene from Person of interest (that elbow to the back... :) )

9 hours ago, YouwinJH said:

@Biology Lesson you're right I should have said he doesn't do enough of them. I was thinking as I was writing, which is why it was a bit of a contradiction. But from his repertoire of fight scenes, those two scenes were the only ones that stood out for me, and he does have a fondness for group fights, which I dislike and are rarely done well imo. That said, I did love the group fight scenes in Bloodhounds 

Here I will quote others from this page- I think you are giving JH too much credit :) It's not JH necesarily that loves group fights, it's k-drama writers and directors. Can you think about a single action K-drama that doesn't have one?! I admit I haven't seen all of them, but I bet you you can't think of a single one. I recently saw a silly Kshow called  "The Goddess of Revenge" (a stupid show with an annoying lead actress. In my defence I watched for Yoon Hyun-Min, the actor from BM), and even though I wouldn't define it as an action show, it still had group fights! Come to think about it- it's not just Kdramas. It's most action shows and movies! And in most cases you can actually see people waiting for their turn to attack. This is not something that can be said about JH's scenes. 

I do like Jacky Chan because his action is fun. That's his style and it works for him. Besides kung-fu movies of the 80s and 90s were overly dramatic and stylised. Maybe because I haven't watched any Bruce Lee movies, I struggle to understand JH's style.

So here you are again confusing me- Jackie Chan is allowed to have his one style, because it's fun, but JH, who clearly utilises different styles, is a one note and boring ? Jackie Chan's scenes are even more clearly choreographed, even the more recent ones, so why the double standard? 

I haven't seen the John Wick (though I like Keanu) movies so not sure if it's a fair comparison with JH's style. From experience, Keanu is a down to earth guy and I think that would also come across in his fight style. I think it would be less pretentious. I can't imagine that the way JH fights in The Killer is the way Keanu fights in John Wick - that's not say JH is pretentious perhaps I mean Keanu is more chilled personality wise. I just imagine less fanfare in the way Keanu fights even tho JW films are sleek and have big set pieces

If you haven't seen the John Wick movie than do a short search on youtube and you can watch the scenes and you will see that the fighting scenes there are also highly choreographed and mostly group fights. They are very brutal, which stems from Keanu being a bigger guy, but still not very unrealistic. I don't think that JH hid the fact that The Killer's scenes were inspired by John Wick. Bear in mind I'm talking only about JW 1. The second JW was so stupid and unrealistic, I stopped following those movies there. Not only that, but I saw a review saying that The Killer was much better than the last JW.

I don't know what Keanu being down to earth has to do with anything. He didn't direct or choregraph those scenes. He trained long enough to enable him to do what the director (who was a former stunt director, BTW) told him to do.

As to the rest of what you wrote, JH being pretentious or not, down to earth or not, I won't even comment about that...

When I think of The Killer for someone reason Kill Bill comes to mind more than John Wick although I can recognise that JW and The Killer have similar cinematography. The Killer feels rather operatic and the small scale nature of the story just did not match JH's ambitiousness with the a action. I think I would like him to do something like it again but in story that's more mindbending and dystopian (unrealistic in a good way!) - like the Hunger Games (which admittedly I haven't seen) but I've seen enough previews to know its grandiose

All of this isn't said as a criticism of JH. Instead it is a plea for better stories that can help him utilise the full range of action he's capable of - from the operatic to the humble

Again, since you haven't seen JW or The Hunger games (which were silly) I don't understand what all these assertions are based on... JW avenges the death of his puppy! It can't be smaller than that :)  That was what made the movie so much fun.

Big or small I don't care. As long as the script is good...

• Like 2