HOW UNCOMFORTABLE ARE BRACES?

OMGAWD

Guest nameless

worse thing about braces is that your gums start to recede because the teeth are shifting.

that EFFING SUCKS richard simmons!

LOL just to reassure you though, your gums won't recede from teeth movement, they would only recede if you brush too hard, otherwise, gums don't recede too easily :)

And thank goodness that my teeth are still straight D: My wisdom teeth are half way out! But I had to pull out four teeth before getting braces >> so they better be damn straight xD

Guest LittlePinky82

I had braces ages ago. I'm now 29 and got them when I was in grade seven. You're what 12/13 then? I remember the first day it was rough. I don't remember having any pain. A classmate asked me about my braces and if it hurt and I remember saying no. Only time things really hurt is when they would tighten things and the rubber bands. Those were more annoying than anything. I had these teeth in my gums. I called them my vampire teeth lol. But the braces helped with that. I think I had two teeth removed to let them come down. I seem to remember that some. 

I don't remember how often I went to my ortho after things were over. That was ages ago lol. I got my braces off before grade ten began. I still wear my retainer even today Mon-Fri. I can take them off any three days and choose the weekend. My ortho told me I'll have to keep them on the rest of my life lol. So I'll be 85 with gray hair and still sleeping in my retainers lol. I did have to go to my ortho sometime last yr to have them fix my retainers. They weren't tight enough and weren't fitting right. It was so weird being there my age with a lot of young kids there haha. 

My advice if you're getting braces is to make sure to really take care of your teeth and brush them and fluoride etc. I made the mistake of not doing a very good job at first and had some brown spots on my teeth and had to have it worked on. Things are nice now but it cost a good bit esp if you don't have health insurance. It was def worth having the braces esp since my teeth were so blah before hand with the upper teeth and stuff. I only wish I took a lot better care of my teeth with all that. But oh well things are nice now. 

As for food only thing with me is I remember breaking my food up whether with my hands or silverware. I still do that today lol. 

Oh and yes I did have some sores on my mouth. They didn't really hurt but were a big pain. As for retainers getting dirty I just clean mine with a regular tooth brush and tooth paste. It works well. :) And finally one thing that helped a lot with me and food in between my wires was having a water pick. I dunno if you can still find those. Just try googling for it. It helped A LOT with getting junk out of my wires that brushing and/or flossing couldn't reach. They do have this sorta fluoride like product you can get. It's blue and you swish it like fluoride and when you spit out it shows you blue on your teeth and that's where you still have trouble with brushing. I'm sure that would help a lot. 

i realized my teeth shifted a lot since i extracted my second molars last weekend.

its been HELL to say the least for the past couple of days. cant eat, hungry all the time, VERY sensitive teeth, and swollen gums, and PAIN.

are braces going to be worse??????

Guest missbang

I liked my braces..kind of miss them aftering having is for about 3 and a half years. I still ate whatever i want and the only thing that sucks about it are the kanker sores that you get once in a while. The pain wasn't all that bad either, only the first time you get it on ;)

Guest loveslick

I got braces in October (kinda late compared to everyone else because I'm 17 now, haha), but braces really aren't that bad! I think the worse part of braces are the spacers they put between your teeth to make room for your teeth to move. I had those twice and it hurt so bad that I couldn't eat. T__T Aside from that, I think the only time your teeth will feel tender is when you get them on at first and then each wire change you have to do. Fortunately, you get used to the pain after you go through your first couple wire changes, so it doesn't hurt for as long the longer you have braces.

I'm actually on my last set of wires on my top teeth so I'm pretty excited! :D Just think about the pretty, straight teeth you will have after they come off~! They make the mild pain worth it because you'll have a beautiful smile for life!

I got my braces in November and they didn't hurt! Except for the next 3 days, I had to eat congee and soup only :(

It did hurt when I flossed since my teeth were so sore.

I love eating too and it doesn't bother me at all, anymore

But I heard it's a real pain once you get elastics (if you get elastics).

Good luck :D

Edit: My cheeks are cut up from my braces T_T sigh!

Guest lunastelle

I've had braces for almost 2.5 years now, and they aren't as bad as they used to be, When I first got them, I remember my teeth were also soooo sore, but not to the point I couldn't eat ANYTHING.I could still eat most things, just not hard stuff like apples/carrots, etc. It usually only hurts (the most) where your teeth are the most crooked. For me, my bottom teeth were craaaazy crooked so it always hurt when I bit into hard stuff >__> But once they start straightening out, the pain lessens every time. Your teeth start to adjust to the push/pull they give.

Also, when you first get them, your gums may feel REALLY uncomfortable. I know mine did.. -__- the protruding metal brackets rubbed against my gums, (small mouth?) and my gums would feel reallllly gross and torn. I'd wake up sometimes during the night with a really dry mouth and I needed to drink lots of water.

I know it sounds bad, But after a few weeks, your mouth will start to adjust.

Guest HanJaeEun

What about invisalign? How well does it actually work?

I feel like i'm too old for braces (sophomore in college), but i want straight teeth so much *sigh*

Very true! My teeth were almost perfect pre-wisdom teeth coming in, but afterwards my top row got kinda bunched together. I've had to do invisalign to straighten them all out again. :P

I also had wisdom teeth which made my front teeth bunched up too. I just took out all 4 wisdom teeth. Is Invisalign really expensive and how long was your re-straighten treatment? The thing with Invisalign is since it's removable (at least I think it is?), it takes willpower to use otherwise there's no results. Often times, I just don't want to wear. :wacko:

Guest babY_Chika

I doesn't feel uncomfortable or anything but it depends on people.But as my dentist put something at my window tooth(Idk what it's call),to put the elastic,it feel rather uncomfortable as it hit my tongue.But it doesn't feel anything after awhile.My dentist doesn't pull out my teeth,idk why as I have rather small mouth,my wisdow teeth grow just enough at the back of my gum.Its been almost three years I use braces,first had me on dec 2010.bye,I forget to use my elastics.

• 3 years later...
Guest StephenKearney

Yes braces may be painful for one or two days because of realignment process of teeth, then gradually you will become used to with it.

Guest WillardRamirez

It would really depend on the type of braces that you are getting. The new  Invisalign braces are comfortable and work to straighten your teeth at the same time. If you are considering traditional metal braces then yes they will be uncomfortable until you get use to the feel of them in your mouth. Also, extremely hot or cold foods or drinks will cause you a little discomfort due to the increased sensitivity of your teeth during the period that you have your braces.So, it's wise to use Invisalign München.
Good luck and best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived