[Drama 2012] Syndrome 신드롬

creidesca

Some new behind the scene stills, courtesy of jTBC. It's nice to see the playful side of Park Gun Hyung, considering how serious his character is in the drama. Not to mention he's playing around w/ Hae-jo's stethoscope/analyzer!

201202231524086686.jpg

201202231524157205.jpg

201202231524243170.jpg

201202231524311349.jpg

201202231524383432.jpg

201202231524441782.jpg

In EP 3, what made Oh Gwang-hee, Eun-hee's younger brother, so upset (the scene right after security allowed him to enter the room where Eun-hee was residing)? Has he always been on Tae-jin's side? Or did that change just recently?

Also, I've updated the first post somewhat, as jTBC updated their character page with photos to go along w/ the description of the supporting cast.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank for all explanation here. It's such a great help for me to understand this drama.

But I'm bit confused....formerly seem HJ's application wasn't acepted by board of senior doctors. How come YW made her work there with him too easily? I don't think YW has the right to make that kind of decision, right?

Thank for all explanation here. It's such a great help for me to understand this drama.

But I'm bit confused....formerly seem HJ's application wasn't acepted by board of senior doctors. How come YW made her work there with him too easily? I don't think YW has the right to make that kind of decision, right?

Right now I don't think she's even a resident? From the translated article, the hospital has opened a "brain" center and she has been recruited (or rather YW has recruited her basing on the conversation he has w/ that 1 NS sunbae).

Okay, so what's the difference b/w a resident and a 교수? The NS sunbae who wasn't able to answer about the anticoagulant is a 3rd year resident, whereas the NS sunbae in charge of YW & HJ is a 교수. MSJ's friend at the hospital is also a 교수.

Right now I don't think she's even a resident? From the translated article, the hospital has opened a "brain" center and she has been recruited (or rather YW has recruited her basing on the conversation he has w/ that 1 NS sunbae).

Okay, so what's the difference b/w a resident and a 교수? The NS sunbae who wasn't able to answer about the anticoagulant is a 3rd year resident, whereas the NS sunbae in charge of YW & HJ is a 교수. MSJ's friend at the hospital is also a 교수.

I checked it on google translate, 교수 is professor. But I don't think the sunbae in charge of YW and HJ is a professor.

I don't know what the meaning of resident aboard, but in my country, a resident means someone who already became a doctor (general practitioner) and now is studing or taking his specialization, for example to become a surgeon, neurologist etc.

That's why I'm confused how YW could easily get HJ work there with him. :unsure:

Guest zealioner

Hi,

Excuse me for intruding but someone wrote to ask if I can recap this drama since it's not subbed. I'm sorry I can't but I can help answer some questions, so here I am. (It's been a while since I've posted on Soompi. I think there's some new functions? If I mess up with the Editor, I'm sorry. Also, I'll have to work backwards on the thread to read your questions, so it may be a while before I can finish posting the explanations to the scenes.)

(1) On the jTBC drama page, Heo Jo-gang (29) is introduced as a Professor of Neurosurgery. I believe it's an error because his age and his apparent sub-par knowledge don't coincide with those professional credentials. Moreover, if you notice, the Syndrome drama site classes the characters according to their professional expertise - professors, residents, nurses. Lee Jae-yoon (30), 'the NS sunbae who wasn't able to answer the anticoagulant question' is a third year resident. There's another character listed on the site as Park Beom-jo (31) who's a 4th year resident. So, I believe Heo Jo-gang (29) should be a 2nd year resident, if not 3rd year.

(2) When the story opened, Yeo-wook and Hae-jo are interns. Interns rotate among the different departments during this period, thereafter they decide on a specialized field and begin their residency for a length of period which is depending on the depth of their chosen field. They then graduate to become fully-licensed physicians/surgeons.

I'm confused how YW could easily get HJ work there with him.

(3) Heo Jo-gang told Yeo-wook that the Neurosurgery Department is expanding because of the newly-opened Brain Treatment Center, and thus there's an opening for another resident. Yeo-wook, impersonating as the Personnel Department, informs Hae-jo about the opportunity, tells her to resubmit her application if she wants another go at it.

In EP 3, what made Oh Gwang-hee, Eun-hee's younger brother, so upset (the scene right after security allowed him to enter the room where Eun-hee was residing)? Has he always been on Tae-jin's side? Or did that change just recently?

(4) In Ep 3, Eun-hee's brother was upset because he learned that she appointed Tae-jin as Director of the hospital. He was never really on Tae-jin's side since each has ambitions to inherit the hospital. Before he leaves the room, he demands that he be appointed Head of Neurosurgery since she gave her husband the hospital. Which of course did not happen as she would later appoint Sung-joon as Head of the department.

Oops...but they are recaps :sweatingbullets: @ Felicia Soh...I'm very sorry for barging in. I was just looking backwards at the thread and only realized it.

zealioner, greatly appreciate your clearing up the confusion. I think what made it difficult for me to reconcile that Hae-jo is now a resident is that on her first day she didn't have a hospital ID! Was that issue discussed? I thought I heard Heo Jo-gang (what other things did he frighten the two with?) mention "security" after Hae-jo and Yeo-wook were kicked out of the room. I volunteer in a hospital laboratory and before I could carry out hospital duties, the first thing Personnel had me do was get a hospital ID and the required PPD (TB) skin test. But then again, I can believe, in Hae-jo's elation of becoming a resident at Hankuk University Hospital, she just forgot about it (plus I don't think she was living in the city at the time to make a quick trip to make her ID?). And maybe that's why Jo-gang had her stay in that one room for most of the day.

And would it be possible to know what the conversation b/w Yeo-wook & Eun-hyun in the shower room was all about?

Thanks creidesca for the OST – I am hoping the song that played during the scene where Sung-joon and Eun-hee met at the hotel room will be included in the OST.

Appreciate zealioner for dropping by with all the clarifications so badly needed for us to understand the storyline. We are honored to have you with us and my recaps are very basic, so please don’t feel that you are intruding – thanks again for sharing. :D

Are there any Chinese subs available on site? I can’t promise anything but if anyone needs clarification on certain scenes, I can seek help in the translation.

Guest zealioner

@creidesca, @Felicia Soh - thank you. @ke2 - hi

(1) EP04 - Yeo-wook & Eun-hyun shower scene - this is in reference to their earlier confrontation about Eun-hyun refusing to operate on the pregnant mother because he foresees her in a vegetative state after the operation, whereas Yeo-wook debates otherwise. This scene is after the successful operation. Eun-hyun tells him not to be mistaken in assuming he's the only doctor thinking for the well-being of his patients, it's just that everyone has their own ways of showing it (their care). While this patient survived as Yeo-wook thinks she would, not every case ends with a happy ending. Yeo-wook answers that regardless, at least this is a happy ending. When asked why he has chosen Neurosurgery, Yeo-wook flippantly replies that if he were to be a doctor, he should at least know how to open up a skull (operate on the head). While he knows Yeo-wook has always done things his way, Eun-hyun warns that he will not tolerate the behavior if he comes under his charge: either he changes the fundamentals of his thinking, or he should leave Neurosurgery (NS).

Heo Jo-gang (what other things did he frighten the two with?)

(2) Heo Jo-gang warns the first year residents against stepping into the room without permission. He lays the basic ground rules of what is expected of them: there's no guarantee of sleep, so catch a nap whenever they can; there's no guarantee they can stick to the 'three meals a day' schedule, so eat whenever they can; as for washing up or taking a shower, they can very well forget about it. Their job is basically to respond to every emergency beeps, and unless the patient is on the brink of death, he warns them about calling for a 6th year resident to attend to the emergency. If they as much there to contemplate that, they are DEAD. They can't speak unless spoken to, they can't even weep or laugh, they should just keep on the look of abject unhappiness. Get their butt over in 5 minutes when a sunbae calls for them, when they are told to take their meals, be done with their food in 5 minutes and get cracking on the job, "whatever it is, you get it done in 5 minutes!"

Hae-jo is now a resident is that on her first day she didn't have a hospital ID! Was that issue discussed? And maybe that's why Jo-gang had her stay in that one room for most of the day.

(3) There's no mention about an ID pass. He makes Hae-jo clean up the room not because she lacks a security pass, more like a senior bullying a rookie. All the more because she's the first female resident accepted to Neurosurgery. A gender superiority, or lack of one, kind of mentality. He later makes her run personal errands, she speaks up that she will do anything he says, just as long as she's allocated medical duties. He agrees, with the intention to spring a tough one on her by making her go through the medical information of 103 patients. And she's to remember all that in 10 minutes when the new Head of NS makes his rounds.

Guest zealioner

Tae-jin had once operated on Hae-jo's father...did that mean he used Hae-jo's father as an experiment of some sort in mapping out the brain? Because Hae-jo's dad also had a brain tumor and then after the operation he is blind? .

And any idea what is going on in the preview for EP5?

In EP 1, before Eun-hee's operation, there's a scene between Tae-jin and Yi-joon where she mentions that on pretext of helping the poor patients, he uses them as guinea pigs to experiment on the various resulting complications of a brain operation. In the medical case of Hae-jo's father, it resulted in blindness. It's malpractice, made more serious because it's intended mistake.

EP 5 Preview:

(1) Eun-hee asks if Sung-joon is fine working with Yeo-wook?

(2) Yi-joon tells Tae-jin to use Kwang-hee against Eun-hee.

(3) On a party night out, Kwang-hee gets a call about a critical patient. He tells Jae-yoon (3rd year resident) to keep the patient breathing until the next morning. He will return then to certify the death.

(4) Hae-jo breaks down upon a patient's death. Eun-hyun asks if it's her first time certifying a death? He tells her if she's going to tear up each time a patient dies, she should leave the place.

Guest zealioner

Now I'm confused as to the exchange b/w Eun-hee and Tae-jin after Tae-jin saw that Yeo-wook had turned in the application for residency. Did Tae-jin use that as some type of blackmail? And what did he announce at the hospital meeting. Even Eun-hyun was surprised. Also, what was the conversation b/w Eun-hee and her father about?

(1) It has always been part of Eun-hee and her late father's plan to set up a center for critical care patients. Using the secret of her impairment as reason - how is she going to command the fort then when she can't even recognize her husband - Tae-jin pushes for the opening of a brain treatment center over their plan, citing their project as non-contributing to the hospital's income. She reminds him about the legal agreement he signed, lightly threatens to remove him from his seat. He returns with a threat that Yeo-wook met Sung-joon. He can choose to punish Yeo-wook for running to another doctor with their hospital's case file - of all, to Sung-joon who failed in that same operation. Or he can unveil the big, dated secret to Sung-joon. He has many aces up his sleeves and he's happy to use them. For good measure, he shows her Yeo-wook's residency application. He's opting for NS and he leaves the whiff of dread in the air, as if threatening to disqualify him? At the inauguration ceremony, he publicly announces that the brain treatment center will replace the center for critical care.

(2) When Sung-joon returned to the country, we learned that he left the hospital over an alleged malpractice. Eun-hee's flashbacks reveals that the operation was a success but for whatsoever reasons, the patient died. Her father insisted she breaks up with him, if she would do so, he will not suspend Sung-joon's medical license. He informed her that Tae-jin will be her husband, she refused on reason that he can't steer her feelings, he told her, "while I can't control your feelings, I can do whatever I want with your life. Not only you, whether another doctor lives or dies, manipulating it is as easy as lifting a finger."

(3) There's no mention about an ID pass. He makes Hae-jo clean up the room not because she lacks a security pass, more like a senior bullying a rookie. All the more because she's the first female resident accepted to Neurosurgery. A gender superiority, or lack of one, kind of mentality. He later makes her run personal errands, she speaks up that she will do anything he says, just as long as she's allocated medical duties. He agrees, with the intention to spring a tough one on her by making her go through the medical information of 103 patients. And she's to remember all that in 10 minutes when the new Head of NS makes his rounds.

Thank you, zealioner! Sure shows how inept Jo-gang is. On a power-trip and didn't think of the hospital ID. Once I forgot my ID at home, so I made sure not to leave the laboratory unless I had to. At least that would be something legitimate.

Sometimes, I wonder if Yeo-wook pretends not to know certain things in front of his NS sunbaes. Like in EP 1 where 3rd year resident Jae-yoon asks him about treating DVT when the other NS sunbaes didn't have an answer.

Woow...thank you all for providing us the explanation. And...hi, zealioner! Glad to see you here ;)

Hope you and the others will help us to understand the story while waiting for the sub.

In ep. 5, does it mean a malpractice since Kwang Hee neglected his patient during the party?

In ep. 5, does it mean a malpractice since Kwang Hee neglected his patient during the party?

I still can't get why he decided not to head back to the hospital (unless it had something to do w/ having alcohol in his system). He was made head of the center (not sure of which center) by Tae-jin, wasn't he? Or was it Tae-jin's plan all along to get Kwang-hee into trouble?

So many questions for this episode:

What announcement did Min Sung-joon make at the NS department conference? And why was Kwang-hee so against it?

How about the press conference? It looked like Eun-hee had gotten the upper hand but was later foiled by whatever the mistress suggested Tae-jin to do? Oh, what did Eun-hee say to the mistress?

Wow, looked like the NS sunbaes took that 5min rule seriously? What was the conversation b/w the sunbaes & YW/HJ in that scene as well as b/w YW & HJ after finishing the meal?

What about the elderly male patient? The NS sunbaes were not pleased with Hae-jo and she was made to go get Min Sung-joon? But then Kwang-hee comes in and wanted to operate? The two sunbaes were very hesitant. Later, when the the patient arrested, why did Hae-jo not want to perform CPR, I think? And what did Eun-hyun have to say to Hae-jo at the end, before and after he brings her to see the newborns? I was really surprised to see Eun-hyun take up both Hae-jo's hands--he didn't look like the type that would do such a thing. Of course this will all be misunderstood by Yeo-wook.

On another note,

I couldn't help giggling at how the EP started out! So that's why Hae-jo was gazing intently at Yeo-wook. His heartrate must have escalated, so she asked him about it. I think his response had something to do with him just having espresso/coffee. I don't think he completely understood why he felt the way he did.

Guest kayana20

The ratings for the drama are tanking and it's hard to find a subbing team right now. Yes chinese subs seem to be done for now I hope later if it gets more interesting maybe it can be subbed but right now nope no such luck.

Archived