[Drama 2012] Syndrome 신드롬

creidesca

Guest monkeygirl

Thank you, so much monkeygirl! Figures why Tae-jin had looked up the two nerve functions on Eun-hee's brain map. I wonder how Tae-jin and Eun-hee got into a name-only marriage in the first place.

So, UCLA is actually for art? I can't believe Yeo-wook would actually ponder on the matter (EP 2). He doesn't seem to have a close relationship with his father like he does with his mom.

According to one of the translated articles above, actor PGH made the following statement: “[Kang Eun Hyun chooses] to become a doctor in order to unveil the secrets behind his birth.” How he will do that maybe we'll have an idea in the next 2 episodes. Also, before jTBC edited their cast page, the ages of the main cast were listed. Yeo-wook is 28, Eun-hyun 31. So likely Eun-hyun was conceived before Tae-jin married Eun-hee, I hope. Otherwise, it will be very strange.

Oh, monkeygirl, does Hae-jo have some type of memory ability?

The drama has a twitter account! @syndrome_drama in case anyone would like to tweet their thoughts/support for the drama.

i didn't catch the part well about UCLA ( my korean isn't 100%).. he wanted yeo-wook to go study there but not sure if its medicine or art. but earlier in episdoe one tae-jin told yeo-wook that he hope yeo-wook choses an "easy" medical field or even do the art he wants to do. that he need to live his life for himeself and not his mother (he just wants competition out)..

i am no sure abuot hae-jo.. i haven't watch ep 2 yet. from ep 1 she seems like a hard working/kind doctor but probably not the smartest..she has a lot of book knowledge but no practical skill (as you see yeo-wook stepping in to help her).. she wants to be a neurosurgeon!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i didn't catch the part well about UCLA ( my korean isn't 100%).. he wanted yeo-wook to go study there but not sure if its medicine or art. but earlier in episdoe one tae-jin told yeo-wook that he hope yeo-wook choses an "easy" medical field or even do the art he wants to do. that he need to live his life for himeself and not his mother (he just wants competition out)..

i am no sure abuot hae-jo.. i haven't watch ep 2 yet. from ep 1 she seems like a hard working/kind doctor but probably not the smartest..she has a lot of book knowledge but no practical skill (as you see yeo-wook stepping in to help her).. she wants to be a neurosurgeon!

Hi, first time posting here~ Pleased to meet everyone!

Um...in response to the confusion about Hae Jo...she says, "As for me, anything I see once I never forget" (my translation). This indicates that she has at least a photographic memory, which would be useful for a doctor, I should think.

I hope that this clears some things up!

monkeygirl, I believe the talk of UCLA happens in EP 2, which you have yet to see. Hopefully you are able to watch it online thru the link provided by Felicia Soh? Or if not, I can try uploading it in parts through mediafire (the Khai version, since that is smaller in size than the Spider version) and PM you the links to DL. You can also try watching it on http://www.dramastyle.com/drama/Syndrome/

And welcome to the thread, debbiek153!

Even with her "photographic memory" Hae-jo still has to talk it out loud (thus slowing down the task), which to another person, means she might not be "all there" in the head if they didn't know her well. In EP 2, I don't think Yeo-wook even remembered her name?

I think he just said "You're the intern from __[name of the facility she was interning at]__, right?"

Hope to see more soompiers in the thread!

Oh yes, I believe this is the DCINSIDE forum for the drama: http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=syndrome

Thank you, so much monkeygirl! Figures why Tae-jin had looked up the two nerve functions on Eun-hee's brain map. I wonder how Tae-jin and Eun-hee got into a name-only marriage in the first place.

So, UCLA is actually for art? I can't believe Yeo-wook would actually ponder on the matter (EP 2). He doesn't seem to have a close relationship with his father like he does with his mom.

According to one of the translated articles above, actor PGH made the following statement: “[Kang Eun Hyun chooses] to become a doctor in order to unveil the secrets behind his birth.” How he will do that maybe we'll have an idea in the next 2 episodes. Also, before jTBC edited their cast page, the ages of the main cast were listed. Yeo-wook is 28, Eun-hyun 31. So likely Eun-hyun was conceived before Tae-jin married Eun-hee, I hope. Otherwise, it will be very strange.

And it's been quite some time, Felicia Soh! I hope the station/production don't cut down the # of expected episodes with the low ratings from the 1st 2 episodes. Suprisingly, I feel this drama has a lot to offer.

To answer your question about the money, I don't even know. I had thought the two had made a bet of some sort and she lost after examining the CT scan. But your thoughts might actually be right, since he wouldn't have money on him at the time. It was cute

how she got on the elevator staring at him and he didn't notice till moments later. Then she had to ask him back for the money since she didn't have any left for fare back

Oh, monkeygirl, does Hae-jo have some type of memory ability?

The drama has a twitter account! @syndrome_drama in case anyone would like to tweet their thoughts/support for the drama.

Nice to see you again creidesca – hasn’t been active in Soompi for awhile due to health reason.

Thanks everyone for all the clarification highly needed as we can move on to the next episode with a better understanding of the storyline. Hopefully, someone will take up this drama to sub – it’s quite tough having to guess some of those crucial scenes.

Episode 2 gives us a wider introduction to the story plot and it looks like Min Sung-joon is very impressed with Hae-jo’s quick reaction to source for a household driller in replace of proper medical tools. Yes, he was surprised that she is only serving as an Intern. A bright future awaits Hae-jo...and she kept addressing him as ahjussi until after the operation is over, she finally greeted him as doctor.

creidesca, I guess by their gestures YW returned the money to Hae-jo as she needed some cash for taxi fare. Hope ke2 read this part and hopeful we are on the right track. Looks like doctors do not carry cash around - I would have understand YW's position (emergency case and he was wearing his white coat) but did I miss anything since HJ was on her way to submit papers? Ah...he was a bit slow to acknowledge her presence in the lift but they don’t seem like strangers when they launch into some medical-conversation. Hope this two will meet again soon. :wub:

I have yet to warm up to Eun-hyun’s character and I think this drama should cast more female doctors – well at least, both male leads don’t have to fight for Hae-jo. Brain has a similar love-chart in their plot – two male doctors up for one-and-only beautiful doctor. :P

In the preview for Episode 3,

it looks like Eun-hee recognized Sung-joon and did she tell him that they had a son?

Nice to see you again creidesca – hasn’t been active in Soompi for awhile due to health reason.

Wishing you plenty of good health in the year of the Dragon!

Thanks everyone for all the clarification highly needed as we can move on to the next episode with a better understanding of the storyline. Hopefully, someone will take up this drama to sub – it’s quite tough having to guess some of those crucial scenes.

Crossing fingers that someone will pick up the drama to sub, but with all the medical jargon, it might just turn off some translator.

Did anyone make out what words Yeo-wook/Hae-jo/Tae-jin/and maybe even Min Sung-joon said? Something like "Standard St__ O.P."? I'm guessing the O.P. is supposed to be operation because I thought I heard that clearly from Tae-jin, but I still can't make out what comes after what I think is the word "standard".

Episode 2 gives us a wider introduction to the story plot and it looks like Min Sung-joon is very impressed with Hae-jo’s quick reaction to source for a household driller in replace of proper medical tools. Yes, he was surprised that she is only serving as an Intern. A bright future awaits Hae-jo...and she kept addressing him as ahjussi until after the operation is over, she finally greeted him as doctor.

I giggled when she pushed him aside at the bus station, not knowing who he really was, just to get to the fallen grandma. If he goes to working at Hankook University Hospital, maybe he can be her mentor!

creidesca, I guess by their gestures YW returned the money to Hae-jo as she needed some cash for taxi fare. Hope ke2 read this part and hopeful we are on the right track. Looks like doctors do not carry cash around - I would have understand YW's position (emergency case and he was wearing his white coat) but did I miss anything since HJ was on her way to submit papers? Ah...he was a bit slow to acknowledge her presence in the lift but they don’t seem like strangers when they launch into some medical-conversation. Hope this two will meet again soon. :wub:

Hae-jo doesn't seem to carry that much cash (if she gets paid well at all). After lending YW the money in EP 1, she didn't have much left and whatever money she handed to the bus driver was pretty much all she had left to get her near the vicinity of HK University Hospital. Could explain why it took her much longer to get to the hospital (it was dark) when Min Sung-joon, riding in the ambulance, got there much quicker (in daylight).

I have yet to warm up to Eun-hyun’s character and I think this drama should cast more female doctors – well at least, both male leads don’t have to fight for Hae-jo. Brain has a similar love-chart in their plot – two male doctors up for one-and-only beautiful doctor. :P

I think the most we got from Eun-hyun so far was in EP 1, after the little boy's operation, when he didn't know what to really do when the mom was crying. Makes me wonder about his own mom, whether she is still living or not.

There seems to be at least one other female doctor, I believe working in the same unit as the guy who keeps bickering with YW. Of course I doubt she'll have a large role, since we have 2 other female doctors besides Hae-jo who will have more screentime: Eun-hee and the mistress.

In the preview for Episode 3,

it looks like Eun-hee recognized Sung-joon and did she tell him that they had a son?

I wonder how Eun-hee finally recognized Sung-joon because she clearly didn't in EP 2.

Those papers she handed to Tae-jin...did she manage some safeguarding in case her brain surgery didn't end well?

Wishing you plenty of good health in the year of the Dragon!

Thanks a lot for the kind wishes. Hope to be around for many years to come..... :)

I giggled when she pushed him aside at the bus station, not knowing who he really was, just to get to the fallen grandma. If he goes to working at Hankook University Hospital, maybe he can be her mentor!

Hae-jo doesn't seem to carry that much cash (if she gets paid well at all). After lending YW the money in EP 1, she didn't have much left and whatever money she handed to the bus driver was pretty much all she had left to get her near the vicinity of HK University Hospital. Could explain why it took her much longer to get to the hospital (it was dark) when Min Sung-joon, riding in the ambulance, got there much quicker (in daylight).

Sooner or later HJ and MSJ will meet again - and she'll probably turn out to be his future daughter-in-law? Btw, did she actually go to the hospital to submit an application to work there? Indeed you are very observant - poor girl, she hardly has enough of transportation money to go back and forth from where she works to the city. I look forward to her scenes as she brings out a different vibes (lively and cheerful mood) - balancing out those dark secrets/unexpected motives of the senior doctors.

I am not sure what the papers are (EH) but I think she is a smart person who will safeguard her son's interest as well as the hospital

and from the preview of Episode 3, we know she is aware of her husband infidelity.

At one time, I thought she asked Tae-jin to leave the hospital but I could be very-wrong since it's hardly the case.

Yeah, I wonder how did she recognize MSJ (Episode 3) - in episode 2, she passed by him without acknowledging him but she did finally stop and turn around giving him a nod gesture as though she doesn't wish to speak to him on a personal level but as professionals it was an appropriate gesture. Just my thoughts. ;)

Guest monkeygirl

Those papers she handed to Tae-jin...did she manage some safeguarding in case her brain surgery didn't end well?

i think those are legal papers for him to become chair of the hospital BUT under her direction. i.e. everything has to go thru and be approved by her. she tells tae-jin that this spot has to be secured. and he asks "for yeo-wook?"

Yeah, I wonder how did she recognize MSJ (Episode 3) - in episode 2, she passed by him without acknowledging him but she did finally stop and turn around giving him a nod gesture as though she doesn't wish to speak to him on a personal level but as professionals it was an appropriate gesture. Just my thoughts. ;)

she told her son when she couldn't recognize this face something like "although i don't recognize your face.. i know its my son when i hold your hand.. i know the sound of your steps, your laugh, your sigh, your etc; with one sense/ability gone, the others are much hightened.."

i think she didn't recognize MSJ at first but she sensed him and his familiarity. so when she looked at the clock (his picture must be in there like he as one of her) and then she knew... she confessed to him in the preview about YW.. i hope this motivates MSJ to come back and help her.. cuz her current husband seems evil..

Thanks, Felicia for the explanation.

I'm trying hard to watch this without subtitle coz I'm really 'zero' for korean language.

Al least all of you giving explanation for this. Thanks all.

I agree that there should be more female casts here so both male leads won't fight for one girl, it's too typical.

Can't wait for the next episode. Getting miss YW & HJ's scene.

i think those are legal papers for him to become chair of the hospital BUT under her direction. i.e. everything has to go thru and be approved by her. she tells tae-jin that this spot has to be secured. and he asks "for yeo-wook?"

If indeed it is for Yeo-wook, she's thinking well ahead, as her son is still an intern.

i hope this motivates MSJ to come back and help her.. cuz her current husband seems evil..

What could be Tae-jin's purpose for seeing Min Sung-joon at the end of EP2? Or is related to the case that Yeo-wook is also running to Sung-joon, seeking an opinion?

Some fresh stills, courtesy of jTBC:

201202161738237681.jpg

201202161738325987.jpg

201202161738400095.jpg

201202161739063295.jpg

201202161739266898.jpg

Eun-hyun's life is going to be disrupted in a major way

Felicia Soh, I believe Hae-jo didn't make it in time to turn in her application for the day. I don't know whether there's a window or not, but from previews she and YH will be in interviews. Let's see what she has up her sleeve for the interview panel! Oh, and thank you that YH tamed his hair for the interview!

Hi, 

Thanks everyone for your posts! My Korean is about 0.5% but I'm watching Syndrome even without English subs because I'm a huge fan of Han Hye Jin. Enjoyed the first two episodes and tried to figure out what is going on! wacko.gif Your various posts certainly help make the story line clearer and confirmed some of my intuitions and inferences. biggrin.gif

Really hope some subbing team like darksmurf would come up with the English subs real soon!

Meanwhile, I'll look forward to the next episode and hope the ratings would increase!!

(I think I registered here some time back but am only now posting! blush.gif)

PS - seems like there will be some 'flashbacks' with Hae Jo's character. Check out this photo shared by Han Hye Jin some hours ago - she's in a school uniform!!! laugh.gif http://yfrog.com/nxjr7agj

welcome to the thread wmpc! And thank you for the update to Han Hye Jin's twitter. Wow, she can still look really good in school uniform! Maybe the flashback scene will give insight into why she specifically wants to be a neurosurgeon. She posted a total of 4 photos in school uniform.

Guest monkeygirl

If indeed it is for Yeo-wook, she's thinking well ahead, as her son is still an intern.

What could be Tae-jin's purpose for seeing Min Sung-joon at the end of EP2? Or is related to the case that Yeo-wook is also running to Sung-joon, seeking an opinion?

yes she is thinking ahead for her son. they seem close and she seems to be a good mother to him. and she still seems to love her old lover min sung-joon..

so tae-jin attended the big neurosurgery conference that MSJ was talking at. they use to be rivals in the hospital. MSJ is famous (he supposedly is now a doctor in the US) for doing a technique where they stop the heart for a few minutes to do vascular/brain surgery. this helps decrease the bleeding risk during surgery. So that pregnant patient that yeowook was carrying for has a giant aneurysm. so he found out (from HJ) that MSJ is skilled in this technique so is probably rushing to the conference to see him (his real dad! ).

so tae-jin i think is just attending the conference. and knew his former rival (and the love of his wife) is there. he seem to approach him at the end to mock or get under his skin. he said something like that last patient you took care at the hospital (i.e. before he was kicked out) had a giant aneurysm, no?

from a previous conversation it seems like MSJ was kicked out of the hospital by EH's dad.. not sure if something bad happened before he left etc.

let me know if you have any other qs..

she told her son when she couldn't recognize this face something like "although i don't recognize your face.. i know its my son when i hold your hand.. i know the sound of your steps, your laugh, your sigh, your etc; with one sense/ability gone, the others are much hightened.."

i think she didn't recognize MSJ at first but she sensed him and his familiarity. so when she looked at the clock (his picture must be in there like he as one of her) and then she knew... she confessed to him in the preview about YW.. i hope this motivates MSJ to come back and help her.. cuz her current husband seems evil..

Thanks for all the prompt clarification monkeygirl. :) I can understand her feelings - a motherly love towards a son which needs no explanation. So touched by her words and gestures - she hardly smile and I hope MSJ appearance will bring her some hope and happiness in what seemed like she is going through hell with her health condition and to be constantly on her toes checking on Tae-jin's motives. :sweatingbullets:

I don't like Tae-jin's character too - he smells fishy every time he appears on screen and that smirked look of his makes my knee wobble (the confrontation scene of him and MSJ). The actor who played MSJ has gone through huge character transformation from being 1st class evil in Dongyi to a romantic-buff character in Smile Donghae and now transformed to another class - a well-respectable and qualified doctor and a good looking one. I am cheering for him like I did for Dr Lee Kang Hun in Brain - he'll probably be replaced by Yeo-wook later on....never mind, let his father shine now. :P

Thanks, Felicia for the explanation.

I'm trying hard to watch this without subtitle coz I'm really 'zero' for korean language.

Al least all of you giving explanation for this. Thanks all.

I agree that there should be more female casts here so both male leads won't fight for one girl, it's too typical.

Can't wait for the next episode. Getting miss YW & HJ's scene.

You are most welcome ke2 - we are all here to share our thoughts and are thankful we have a very active threadstarter, creidesca and some very knowledgeable (korean language) viewers here to share their explanation/clarification.

Felicia Soh, I believe Hae-jo didn't make it in time to turn in her application for the day. I don't know whether there's a window or not, but from previews she and YH will be in interviews. Let's see what she has up her sleeve for the interview panel! Oh, and thank you that YH tamed his hair for the interview!

Thanks for all the stills - she looks just as beautiful as we saw her in long hair in The Thorn Birds. I think she will impress the panel of interviewers during the interview session -err....maybe even getting higher marks than YW. :P It'll be nice to see them bumping into each other again.

Nice to meet another HHJ fan - hello wmpc! Thanks for the link. :D

Thanks for the welcome Creidesca and nice to meet you too Felicia! 

Not sure if you all have seen the screen captures for the first two episodes from hancinema - only the first come with some description which unfortunately can't be copied and pasted to get a rough translation. Here they are nevertheless - especially for those who can understand Korean...smile.gif

photo222422.jpg

SOURCE

Screen grabs for second episode

As the conversation between Eun Hyun and YW in a room while HJ took sneek peak at it, can anyone tell me what they're talking about? Seem it's about YW's patient, a boy. HJ smiled after YW told his opnion, seemed agreed with what YW said to Eun Hyun.

Later the last part scene between YW and HJ, what are they talking about? HJ told him about MJ and his skills, is it all?

Sorry asking too much questions ^_^

Guest monkeygirl

As the conversation between Eun Hyun and YW in a room while HJ took sneek peak at it, can anyone tell me what they're talking about? Seem it's about YW's patient, a boy. HJ smiled after YW told his opnion, seemed agreed with what YW said to Eun Hyun.

Later the last part scene between YW and HJ, what are they talking about? HJ told him about MJ and his skills, is it all?

Sorry asking too much questions ^_^

EH and YW were actually talking about the pregnant patient. the husband begged YW to try to save her. when EH presented the case at the conference TJ agreed that no intervention/surgery was going to happen. YW asks EH to reconsider. but EH was basically disciplining YW saying something like a surgeon has to know his limits, and not do harm. that why YW was looking at the 1 % success rate when there is a daunting 99% likelihood of failure etc.. i also remember EH telling YW that this is why he wouldn't make a good surgeon because a surgeon has to use his logic to feel/think. but YW said something like, no, a surgeon has to be a person first. think like a person first and live to give hope to others. something like that... HJ obviously agrees!

HJ asked YW about that patient's case. and HJ tells YW there may be a way to save her.. she starts quoting all these journal articles (journals, months of publication etc).. showing off her good memory. YW asks her if she is for real (i.e. is she just making all this up) and HJ says once she sees it she never forgets.. but YW teases her that all this good memory (i.e. book smart) is not useful when she can't even do basic functional doctor stuff (i.e the intubation she needed help with).. it was a bit of bantering and teasing between the 2 with some underlying tone of mutual respect.

EH and YW were actually talking about the pregnant patient. the husband begged YW to try to save her. when EH presented the case at the conference TJ agreed that no intervention/surgery was going to happen. YW asks EH to reconsider. but EH was basically disciplining YW saying something like a surgeon has to know his limits, and not do harm. that why YW was looking at the 1 % success rate when there is a daunting 99% likelihood of failure etc.. i also remember EH telling YW that this is why he wouldn't make a good surgeon because a surgeon has to use his logic to feel/think. but YW said something like, no, a surgeon has to be a person first. think like a person first and live to give hope to others. something like that... HJ obviously agrees!

HJ asked YW about that patient's case. and HJ tells YW there may be a way to save her.. she starts quoting all these journal articles (journals, months of publication etc).. showing off her good memory. YW asks her if she is for real (i.e. is she just making all this up) and HJ says once she sees it she never forgets.. but YW teases her that all this good memory (i.e. book smart) is not useful when she can't even do basic functional doctor stuff (i.e the intubation she needed help with).. it was a bit of bantering and teasing between the 2 with some underlying tone of mutual respect.

Wowww...thank you so much, monkeygirl. Now I need to re-watch it again. It's so much better after more understanding about it.

Now I know why HJ keep looking at the floor while talking with YW.....sooo she quoting all journals :lol:

Although EH is a good surgeon but I'm with HJ...all agree with what YW said. ;)

I'm curious what YW's mom talking about with MJ when they meet. She must know his face from the watch but still can't figure it out....who he is. But since he's her 1st lover, of course she has to have some feelings toward him, same as her son.

Really don't like TJ and his mistress. His mistress doesn't even look lika a doctor anyway. :angry:

Archived