[Drama 2012] Syndrome 신드롬

creidesca

The ratings for the drama are tanking and it's hard to find a subbing team right now. Yes chinese subs seem to be done for now I hope later if it gets more interesting maybe it can be subbed but right now nope no such luck.

Whaa, EP 4 wasn't interesting enough? Though the drama has yet to regain from its EP 1 ratings, EP 4 showed an increase from EP 3.

I actually felt bad for 3rd year resident Lee Jae-yoon today. One of the few times where he questioned a professor's authority and he gets smacked for it.

edit: in EP 5, we get a brief scene of a 4th year resident (not of neurosurgery) played by 장예원:

syndr.jpg

credits the actress' cyworld

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to Syndrome! Ratings for EP 5 was recorded to be 0.97% (another source has it at 0.818%). This is an increase from last week's ratings. Hanbado on TV Chosun, on the other hand, slipped down to 0.886% from last week's 1.143%.

edit: looking at the preview screencap that semi-fly provided for EP 6...will be introduced to Eun-hyun's mother today (if that is his mother)?

oh my!

I'm so curious as to the various conversations going on b/w Hae-jo & Eun-hyun. What did Hae-jo learn from her male friend that made her misunderstand Yeo-wook (something about his uncle)? And later what she found out from the nurse that changed her thinking again (about his mom)?

So I'm guessing Tae-jin must have been keeping tabs on Kwang-hee to find the right moment to have him fall into a trap? The elderly man's son only made the scene at the hospital after someone told him something. What did Tae-jin propose to Kwang-hee? And what did Kwang-hee give to his sister, which she then handed to Tae-jin, after such a difficult decision.

Could Tae-jin have done something to Eun-hyun's mom, or whatever happened b/w her and Tae-jin was so traumatic? She keeps calling her son "oppa" as if she was talking to maybe Tae-jin or someone and not her son. She must have a strong connection to Tae-jin since her room is filled with cacti plants.

And the 4th year resident who's not of the neurosurgery unit is Eun-hyun's friend. Also, do you think there might be a possible romance b/w MSJ and the nurse?

And any idea as to the happenings in the preview for EP 7?

Hi Everyone,

Syndrome Episodes 1 and 2 English Soft-Sub Subtitle are out.

33kygq0.jpg

Syndrome Episodes 1 and 2 English Subtitle can be found Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4019-syndrome-2012/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about

FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

According to this article from OSEN, ratings for EP 6 was 1.1%--the first time the drama has gone above 1%!

from hancinema:

"Syndrome" ratings on the rise

Viewing percentages for JTBC drama "Syndrome" took a leap forward.

According to AGB Nielsen Media Research on February 29th, the sixth episode of "Syndrome", aired on February 28th, rated 1.1%. This is 0.282% more than the fifth episode.

"Syndrome" couldn't hold the same ratings of its predecessor, "Padam Padam... The Sound of His and Her Heartbeats". However, this is the first time it has attained more than 1% viewship so far.

Kang Eun-hyeon (Park Geon-hyeong) and Lee Hae-jo's (Han Hye-jin) love story began to take form and Cha Tae-jin (Jo Jae-hyeon) attempted to cause a rift between Oh Eun-hee (Kim Seong-ryeom) and Oh Gwang-hee (Im Won-hee).

Guest kayana20

Yay that makes me quite happy to hear !Credeisca you cheered me up so sad no subbing team though.I love this show because of Han Hye Jin I can watch any drama of her because I love her! Longtime fan since the Jumong days. I can see why hanbando lost out this week the writing was more interesting this week on Syndrome.

I just took a look over at Darksmurfsub.com and they need help w/ transcribing the chinese subs for EP 3-4, so it looks like EP 3-4 were available w/ c-subs! Anyone who can type Chinese is welcome to help in transcribing.

Are you the one helping  with the transcribing of Syndrome episode 3 on Darksmurf, creidesca? If you are, you don't know how much you make everyone happy. Thank You from the bottom of my heart! biggrin.gif 

Are you the one helping  with the transcribing of Syndrome episode 3 on Darksmurf, creidesca? If you are, you don't know how much you make everyone happy. Thank You from the bottom of my heart! *quoted image* 

Can't figure how to type in Chinese w/ the US keyboard (I am able to type in Korean w/ the keyboard though, which isn't much help at the moment), so only able to do the very simple lines that I can easily do a copy and paste from english to chinese on google translate. There are still a bunch of very simple lines (2-3 chinese characters) that I am unable to properly translate from english to chinese, but if someone is able to do that, I think it will help quicken the transcribing process, leaving the longer lines for whoever is able to type in Chinese.

Anyways, this was posted on Feb 16 to twitter from the film shoot of Syndrome. I don't think we've seen this patient yet, right? credits here

al07mceaa7g3y.jpg

Oh, how come the actor who plays Hae-jo's friend (I believe the character name is Yang Sang Du??) looks so familar? Have we seen this person in any other drama before?

I've watched Brain and really loved it. I don't see much similarities between the 2 dramas except that they are working in the neurosurgery department. The plot is not the same and there are more lead characters in Syndrome. That's my opinion. Others may not agree with me and see similarities that I missed.

So glad ratings are inching upwards!! I'm also watching Syndrome because of Han Hye Jin. I just replied to her latest post on her cafe fan site and asked her if she could speak to the producers to consider putting the transcript of the Korean script on the official Syndrome site. blush.gif That would certainly help hasten the subtitling process for those who are billingual in Korean and English. Meanwhile look forward to any recaps or detailed explanations of key scenes here....

Whaa, EP 4 wasn't interesting enough? Though the drama has yet to regain from its EP 1 ratings, EP 4 showed an increase from EP 3.

I actually felt bad for 3rd year resident Lee Jae-yoon today. One of the few times where he questioned a professor's authority and he gets smacked for it.

edit: in EP 5, we get a brief scene of a 4th year resident (not of neurosurgery) played by 장예원:

*quoted image*

credits the actress' cyworld

Thanks creidesca and everyone for all the latest update. Thanks for the spoiler - you are very observant about the cactus.... :D

Just completed watching both the last two episodes (5 & 6) with full of anticipation for the upcoming episode – these two episodes focused on building up colleague-relationship and slowly unraveling their family background with no focus on OT scenes. The only important topic was related to the old man who died under the care of Oh Kwang-hee which also involved Hae-jo, Yeo-wook, Eun-hyun and the other two doctors who are of course not happy to take rude and stern order from KH.

Btw, I think the actress (the picture posted) Jang Ye-won who played Park Beom-ju could be interested in Eun-hyun - she seems very happy to see Eun-hyun (think she is in charge of ER). ;)

Finally, it’s Eun-hyun’s time to shine in both episodes as they focused on his scenes with Hae-jo and his Omma. I wonder what is the reason (I believe) she’s on long-term hospitalization – it was revealed that she addressed her son as “Oppa” and she seemed like a caring mother who doesn’t wish her son to bother about her being lonely - an emotional mother and son scene.

I think it was Tae-jin who manipulated the situation to frame Sung-joon (he took advantage of the rivalry between SJ and KH) when he instructed his men to create an ugly scene at the hospital. Kwang-hee blamed Sung-joon for causing the deceased family to bring shame to him. I think Tae-jin desperately needed KH to favor him when he is all set to bring Eun-hee down. JJH’s role character is really cold-hearted, greedy and mean as Tae-jin as compared to his doctor role in New Heart.

Hae-jo has been informed through her doctor friend (an acquaintance who is working at the same hospital) that Yeo-wook is the son of the directors of the hospital. I think she was unhappy with Yeo-wook on two different issues – how Yeo-wook handled the dying patient and disappointed to learn of his family background from another person.

I think Eun-hyun held both of Hae-jo’s hands up has something to do with work-related-gestures and not so much of showing other kind of motives. Her teary eyes gave away indication that what Eun-hyun said in his gestures made her sad or realize something. Of course, the longer he held on to her, his concentration diverted and so did Hae-jo – their eye-locking scenes were quite a bit intense but in a split second they realized they were in an awkward position and appeared embarrassed. Like in any K-drama, this scene was meant for Yeo-wook (the soon-to-be love rival) to witness – he did not give us any jealous vibes and it was more like a bit upset since he was looking high and low for her and was happily planning to steal some light moments for a drink to cheer her up.

Meanwhile, Kwang-hee is starting to take action against her sister’s mission – he brought up issues relating to Tae-jin and their father. Looks like Tae-jin has won a battle in brainwashing Kwang-hee. Eun-hee has to work harder to upstage Tae-jin in his mission – and I think she needs lots of support from Sung-joon and Yeo-wook. I wonder whether Yeo-wook is aware on the happening of (his parent’s battle) the hospital’s administration?!? He seems oblivious....

Despite still bitter over their past, Sung-joon showed his worried side of him for Eun-hee (they met on their way out of the hospital but Eun-hee gave him a rather cold shoulder with a brief formal nod of "hello-and-goodbye" gesture or could it be because of "prosopagnosia" acting up on her again?!?) when he tailed Eun-hee to the art gallery where she was overly focused on a painting (she was crying as she looked at the painting). From the art gallery, Eun-hee dropped by at a bar for a drink and at the other end, we saw a concerned SJ focusing on her. When she dropped her face on the table, Sung-joon came to her aid (calling her name) but he refrained himself from even patting on her back!! Aish….must be very painful to let go - he can’t even lift his hands to touch/console her whereas somewhere in town, Tae-jin and his mistress were enjoying themselves in their nest, plotting and snuggling!!

At one scene Hae-jo overheard a nurse talking to Yeo-wook with regards to his mother’s condition and from that moment, I think Hae-jo has soften up and realized she has been too harsh on him. After that incident, HJ tried to make up with YW by offering to help him and it didn’t make her feel any better when he explained his decision on how/why he continued treating the old-man despite his chances of survival (he died in the end). And I think it was Eun-hyun who took all the blame ….covering especially for HJ and the rest too.

During one of the dialogues of Eun-hyun with HJ, I almost mistook Eun-hyun’s voice with Lee Kang-hoon when the camera was not focusing on his face (not that I am saying Park Gyun-hyeong imitated SHK’s voice or mannerism). These two characters are different except they may share the some similarities on their painful family background.

Sorry for the long-winded views.... :P:o

How does this compare to Brain?

Similar to Anne's opinion - as much as I enjoyed Brain and LOVE Shin Ha-kyun for his role portrayal, Syndrome is somehow different though both touches on neurosurgeon in their storyline. Syndrome has a wider scope of backdrop to delve into unlike Brain and has many ranges of conflict in the storyline (think more into power, greed, selfishness....) that involves more characters. I think it’ll have lesser medical conflict/controversial scenes than Brain but I could be wrong since it has only aired 6 episodes. If you enjoy Brain, I believe this drama will not disappoint you. :D

I like HHJ’s new hairstyle in Syndrome and it fits into her role beautifully as Hae-jo. I don’t like how they style Yeo-wook’s hair in the last 30 minutes segment of Episode 6 – I prefer them to pay less attention on blowing their hairstyle as realistically, these doctors are supposed to be busy and “practically-living-in-the-hospital”!

Glad to know the ratings are picking up - Hwaiting Syndrome!!

Felicia Soh, since both Eun-hee and Eun-hyun are "EH's", if we continue to use abbreviations for these 2, how to differentiate the two (other than from closely reading the sentence, because a casual reader could easily mistaken one for the other without realizing it).

So, did Eun-hyun's mother know she was speaking to her son? When he walked into the room and she called him "oppa" I was asking myself if I had mistaken her for the wrong person. But then her identity was confirmed when the BGM punctuated/emphasized Eun-hyun saying "omma" right before he left her bedside.

I believe Eun-hee

stepped down from her position as Chief of Anesthesiology (gathered from google translation of newsarticles) because of her brother? Also, after Eun-hee announced her prosopagnosia at the hospital meeting in last week's episodes, she hasn't had to worry too much about recognizing people. Either her secretary/assistant would tell her who was in front of her or the other party would identify his/herself. That's why I don't think she recognized Sung-joon unless he identified himself (plus he wasn't wearing the tie Eun-hee recognized him from his room at the hotel). The one person she can easily identify is Kim Yi Joon, who is a professor of Anesthesiology and TJ's mistress, thanks to those red heels of hers.

I think EH held both of HJ’s hands up has something to do with work-related-gestures and not so much of showing other kind of motives. Her teary eyes gave away indication that what EH said in his gestures made her sad or realize something. Of course, the longer he held on to her, his concentration diverted and so did HJ – their eye-locking scenes were quite a bit intense but in a split second they realized they were in an awkward position and appeared embarrassed. Like in any K-drama, this scene was meant for YW (the soon-to-be love rival) to witness – he did not give us any jealous vibes and it was more like a bit upset since he was looking high and low for her and was happily planning to steal some light moments for a drink to cheer her up.

When I saw the beginning of the EP, I was reminded of a con technique briefly mentioned in an episode of the American TV series "Leverage". The technique is called "soul-gazing" and supposedly 2-5min worth of it and love could be inspired between two people. Thus the awkward moment in the end stage of the scene b/w Eun-hyun and HJ.

From google translation of articles relating to the elderly patient

he was practically brain dead? I think that was why Jae-yoon, Eun-hyun, and even Yeo-wook were checking the man's eye response. To continue CPR till the morning whenever Kwang-hee returned would have been horrendous. I think all of them thought Kwang-hee's order wasn't sound, but they are residents and are supposed to follow the chain of command. None of the other neurosurgery professors were available from my understanding and Jae-yoon had to resort to Kwang-hee (he certainly wasn't happy about it either). Furthermore, Yeo-wook likely was too focused on trying to save a life that he didn't think beyond that (one of the things I felt Eun-hyun was displeased with Yeo-wook about before). We could see the bruises accumulating on the man's chest from all that CPR, and what would his guardians have thought upon seeing his body? Thankfully, the guardians' arrival ceased it. I also wonder if Kwang-hee performed any unnecessary procedure that contributed to the man's death?

Thank you again for the explanation. I'm really at lost watching this. It seems interesting but can't understand it at all.

As for elderly patient, I'm still confused why HJ was mad at YW because of what he did. Was he HJ's patient actually? About YW's background, maybe it's more about her guilt so she was mad at YW. Because is 'only' a colleague or friend of her, she has only known him for a while so I don't think YW has responsibility to tell her about his background, especially when he's a son of the director of the hospital. Maybe she already feels 'something' for him, just hasn't realized it yet ^_^

It's quite possible that Eun Hyun is son of TJ. Hope it's not because of TJ again so Eun Hyun's mom end like this. :ph34r:

Maybe I missed something here, but why KH blamed SJ for causing the deceased family to bring shame to him? Isn't it his fault for not to go back to hospital when there's an emergency call?

As for elderly patient, I'm still confused why HJ was mad at YW because of what he did. Was he HJ's patient actually? About YW's background, maybe it's more about her guilt so she was mad at YW. Because is 'only' a colleague or friend of her, she has only known him for a while so I don't think YW has responsibility to tell her about his background, especially when he's a son of the director of the hospital. Maybe she already feels 'something' for him, just hasn't realized it yet ^_^

I thought I heard HJ's friend use the word "samchon", therefore, referring to Kwang-hee being YW's uncle. She couldn't understand why he would continue w/ CPR when she gave her reasons for why they should stop w/ the CPR. Using google translate on newsarticles concerning this week's epis, the contents of the newsarticles suggest that the elderly patient was already brain dead by the time the other residents got there. After listening to her friend, I think she believed the reason YW continued w/ CPR was because he was sticking up for his uncle. Of course we could tell that wasn't the case when Kwang-hee railed at the residents--YW was glaring at his uncle/defying with his eyes. We saw YW looking at his hands, reflecting over HJ's CPR protestations and pronouncement of death, and sighing, indicating that HJ might be right. YW was too wrapped up in keeping the man alive (or rather the heart beating), but the brain was already dead and the repercussions that the patient's family would have to deal with.

Also, after Kwang-hee performed some type of surgery on the elderly man, Sung-joon wasn't pleased and I think it had something to do with the surgery. Was that surgery necessary? And what did Kwang-hee say (not directly to the man's guardians) as he walked away after they had thanked him for "saving" their father.

What did Eun-hyun finally decide to do when Kwang-hee did not answer the calls? It looked like the other residents were unwilling with the exception of HJ who went to make a call to the man's guardians. I feel that when the guardians arrived and asked Jo-gang to stop with the CPR did Jae-yoon, Jo-gang, and Yeo-wook understand/take in the situation as the guardians apologized to their father and closed his shirt covering up the bruises from CPR. I thought I heard either HJ or Eun-hyun mention DNR (do not resuscitate). Did either the guardians or patient himself agree to this prior?

HJ was just as devastated as the other residents over the patient's death, but she was the only one with courage to pronounce the time of death.

Maybe I missed something here, but why KH blamed SJ for causing the deceased family to bring shame to him? Isn't it his fault for not to go back to hospital when there's an emergency call?

My guess is that KH believes that the reason the male guardian made such a scene in the lobby of the hospital was because Sung-joon told him of KH's actions that likely led to the demise of the man's father.

hello guys.

Watching episode 2. In the Neuro meeting, TJ called his son, CHEAP ( IN dARKSMURf's chinese subtitle), can anybody verify if it's really cheap? or was it Chief for Chief resident?

thanks.

hello guys.

Watching episode 2. In the Neuro meeting, TJ called his son, CHEAP ( IN dARKSMURf's chinese subtitle), can anybody verify if it's really cheap? or was it Chief for Chief resident?

thanks.

I think it is supposed to be "Chief" because in a later episode, Min Sung Joon calls Eun-hyun that before/during a meeting too.

Archived