It is absolutely wrong to steal ideas

Mannosuke

You know what the most disgusting thing I've ever heard is?

Stealing ideas.

Stealing ideas to make better products.

Stealing ideas for innovation.

Stealing ideas for profit.

It's sickening how people can possibly take an idea that SOMEONE ELSE came up with, MODIFY IT, and has the nerve to SELL IT for money. With or without proper attribution.

The world would be a much better place if people stopped pirating ideas.

That's probably what intellectual property laws is for, but clearly it only works when you go through the whole legal process.

Don't you think it's much better if you came up with an idea, and no one could steal it from you?

Are you just naive or stupid? If ideas weren't stolen, how'd you think the world got to where it is now? How'd the US get to the moon as soon as they did? They were years behind the Germans in rocket technology during the war. So they took the technology, a mere 30 years after the war ended we had the moon landing. If they hadn't stolen the technology, they'd have been at least another decade behind. The entire history of our species has been one of theft and improvement. We take someone else's idea, make it better and advance the sum of knowledge of the race.

In fact, I find intellectual property laws hinder true technological leaps. Everyone who comes up with an idea wants to milk it for all the profit it's worth before letting it out into the public domain. Our technology would move in leaps and bounds if all information became available to whoever needed it, but no the stagnation caused by IP means that we limit ourselves to spurts of advancement every couple of decades. The best example has to be WW2. In 6 years of war, engine technology jumped the equivalent of 20 years of peace time (i'm not advocating war by any means as way to promote technological growth). Improvement and innovation through theft of the enemy's technology exploded during that period.

Guest SillyyJenn

instead of stealing why not say recycling?

actually, i think that's the whole point. taking things and improving it...isn't it?

So it's "good" to let someone come up with an idea and monopolise it for personal gain?

Yes, I think the person that came up with the idea should be given a chance to profit from it big before releasing it to the public.

Even if it holds back technological advancement.

Even if it they don't do anything with the idea and simply patent troll off it.

Even if other geniuses are sued to bankruptcy because he came up with the idea first

After all, all that matters is that the person makes money.

Archived