Lee Jung-Jae 이정재 [Movie “Hunt” | Upcoming: Star Wars series “The Acolyte” (Disney+)]

Helena

https://www.newsweek.com/squid-game-star-lee-jung-jae-goes-behind-camera-hunt-1730231
Lee Jung-jae Talks Directing 'Hunt' and How 'Squid Game' Changed His Career

BY SOO KIM ON 08/03/22 AT 6:00 AM EDT

C1087A79-5667-48CF-9FF4-6770E052FDB7.web
CANNES, FRANCE - MAY 20: Actor Lee Jung-jae poses for a portrait during the 75th Cannes Film Festival on May 20, 2022 in Cannes, France.
SEBASTIEN VINCENT/CONTOUR/GETTY

It has been a big year for Squid Game star Lee Jung-jae. He's won Screen Actors Guild and Critics Choice awards, been nominated for a Golden Globe, an Emmy (Squid Game got 14 Emmy nods) and received a 7-minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival in May, for the premiere of Hunt, a spy thriller he both directed and stars in.

In one of his first in-depth interviews with a major U.S. publication, Lee spoke to Newsweek from Seoul, where he's been working on post-production for Hunt, which opens in South Korea August 10 (a U.S. release date is in the works). He reflected on directing his first film, his Hollywood aspirations and the "greater responsibility" he feels since the enormous success of Squid Game.

'A Strong Sense of Guilt'

The Netflix K-drama made the 49-year old Lee, long a star in South Korea, an international pop culture icon. The series is the streaming service's most popular ever, surpassing even other monster hits like Stranger Things and Bridgerton.

In the intriguing final scene of the show's first season, Lee's character, Gi-hun, the surviving winner of the fatal contest of the title, was seen dramatically walking out of a jetway at an airport following a cryptic phone call with a staff member from the games.

4216729A-74AD-4C52-BC12-064E8143B6DB.web
Actor Lee Jung-jae as Gi-hun during the 'dalgona' candy challenge in "Squid Game."
NETFLIX

Fans wanted to know: What was going through Gi-hun's mind and what was he going to do? After coming to terms with the shocking truth behind the games, Lee says Gi-hun "had shaken off everything and was only thinking about getting to his daughter." But while traveling to the airport, Gi-hun noticed a person on a train platform being recruited for the deady competition by the Salesman, the mysterious character played by actor Gong Yoo who Squid Game director/writer Hwang Dong-hyuk has hinted may be returning in the second season.

Lee says "I was so glad that Gi-hun changed his mind after running into another victim playing ddakji [a Korean children's game the Salesman uses to recruit contestants] at a train station and became determined to prevent further damage to more victims."

Director/writer Hwang says Lee will return as Gi-hun in season two and "do something for the world." Beyond that, however, neither he nor Lee are talking. "If Gi-hun can do 'something for the world,''' Lee says, "I'll be very proud of him indeed,'' adding that while he was "really happy to see season two be officially confirmed recently," he has "no knowledge of any details on how the plot for the second season will unfold."

"I believe the director is currently still deep in the process of developing the script" Lee says, "As a fan of Squid Game myself, I'm really looking forward to season two."

"What's been most memorable and challenging has been playing a character who is forced to cheat and con another person for the sake of their survival," Lee says, "I was tormented by a strong sense of guilt and it was not easy to portray such a horrific expression of the lengths to which humans could go in a bid to survive."

Gi-hun is "such a warm character," the actor says. "I really love the goodness of Gi-hun. Even in the extreme circumstances he was facing, he still helped others out because he has a good heart."

Nerves in Cannes and the Age of Fake News

The actor makes his directing debut with Hunt, which stars him and Jung Woo-sung, a fellow Korean movie star and a close friend since 1998 when the pair starred in the hit film City of the Rising Sun. Jung most recently was executive producer of the Netflix science fiction K-drama The Silent Sea.

While the success of Squid Game has generated a lot of interest from abroad in Hunt, it's also brought Lee a bigger than normal case of nerves to deal with. He calls unveiling the movie in Cannes "a humble little dream."

ACED6289-144A-4736-A640-AB4152F33108.web
Lee Jung-jae attends the photo call for "Hunt," the new film directed by and starring Lee, during the 75th Cannes Film Festival on May 19, 2022 in Cannes, France.
STEPHANE CARDINALE - CORBIS/CORBIS VIA GETTY IMAGES

"I usually get nervous during preview screenings," Lee says, "but I was especially nervous this time as it was my directorial debut in front of an international audience. During the screening, I kept worrying about whether the subtitles were properly written."

"At the end of the screening, I was both shocked and embarrassed to be given the longest applause I'd ever received in my life."

Lee was initially offered only an acting role in Hunt, which centers on two South Korean intelligence agents investigating each other on a quest to track down a mole. He later decided to produce the film, and when he couldn't find a satisfactory screenwriter or director for it, wound up doing those jobs, too. Lee says he worked on the script for about four years, "focusing on the backstory of the characters," he says. "I believe there has to be a clear justification for the characters in order for them to collide passionately, and I hoped this fiery clash would fill the screen."

Lee wanted the two antagonists, Pyong-ho (played by Lee) and Jung-do (played by Jung) to "see themselves in each other, even though they're clashing opposites." They don't share much dialogue, but Lee says it was important to "create a sense of unity and solidarity between them." He says, "I hoped the two would merge into one person."

Spoiler

4173714D-45BC-4A83-B0B7-DDF74EC86B00.web

Director Hwang Dong-hyuk, with actor Lee Jung-jae and production crew, seen on the set of "Squid Game."
NETFLIX

In Hunt, Lee and Jung share the big screen for the first time in over 20 years since their on-screen chemistry in City of the Rising Sun made the film a hit. Why such a long wait? "We talked a lot about working together again very soon. For years, we tried to make it possible and even wrote a script together at one point, but it never materialized into a film."

Lee calls Jung "an incredible actor at the top of his game. As a director I was very keen to have him in the film. I really wanted people to say that 'Jung Woo-sung looked the best on screen when he was shot by Lee Jung-jae.'"

Lee says he gave a lot of thought to setting Hunt squarely in the present "where we believe in a truth distorted by fake news and false teachings and we see a lot of conflict among opponents." While there are those who want to "manipulate" and "profit from" these conflicts, Lee asks "What do we who are in conflict gain from it all? I think we must continually re-examine our beliefs, so I wanted to explore that theme in this film."

"I wanted to make a high intensity film, with both big and small reversals in the plot unfolding harmoniously. It is a fast-paced spy film but I also tried not to make the story too complicated to follow. I simply hope audiences will enjoy watching it."

Spoiler

2CD9B427-FA97-4B8E-AACE-E98E1490FE42.web

Film still from Hunt. Scene with Lee on the left centre, Jung in the right centre.
MEGABOX

'So Much Love at the Moment'

Notwithstanding the film's reception at Cannes, Lee says he still thinks of himself as an actor first. "Acting is harder than directing," he says. "Acting is my identity and there's still so much I want to do with it.

Lee says over nearly 30 years in show business he's learned to take things a little easier than he did at first: "I take care of myself more than I did before. It feels like I've been busy everyday thinking I need to be prepared for anything."

"I think the more experience you gain, the greater responsibility you have. Especially now with Squid Game being on the radar of a global audience, I feel a heavier responsibility as Korean content is receiving so much love at the moment."

Could a Hollywood project be next in line for Lee? He's recently signed with Creative Artists Agency which also represents heavyweights like Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Brad Pitt and Will Smith among many others.

Asked which Hollywood director and actor he'd most like to work with, Lee says: "There are too many I can name, but I'd love to work with director Todd Phillips and actor Joaquin Phoenix one day."

▸ Soo Kim is a Newsweek reporter who writes regularly about South Korean culture and entertainment. Twitter: @MissSooKim. Instagram: @miss.soo.kim

[2022-08-04][HUNT] Director Lee Jung-jae X Director Hwang Dong-hyuk Megatalk GV

HUNT MegaTalk GV (conversation with the audience) 
Time: August 4 at 7:40pm
Venue: Megabox COEX Dolby CINEMA 
Host: Baek Eun-ha (director of Actor Research Institute)
Attendance: Director Hwang Dong-hyuk (Netflix series 'Squid Game'), Director Lee Jung-jae

Spoiler

4243FE39-38AC-4E0C-AFB0-768FD575D53B.jpg

C04347F4-AA98-46EE-BE36-44194844F19A.jpg

D62A9184-DC3F-48FA-9E3C-C0F2B35D488F.jpg

[2022-08-06] HUNT Outdoor Premiere & Showcase l Lee Jung-jae, Jung Woo-sung, Heo Sung-tae, Go Youn-jung

Source: Megabox PlusM

[Eng] Lee Jung jae, Jung Woo sung 's action act behind: 072922

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/08/08/entertainment/movies/Lee-Jungjae/20220808160537445.html
Lee Jung-jae wears all the hats in soon-to-debut "Hunt"

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr] | August 8, 2022

F964C343-11FE-4E68-9B2D-3D3862865544.jpg
Actor Lee Jung-jae portrays Park Pyung-ho, the foreign unit chief of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA). He receives a tip that the organization’s domestic unit chief, Kim Jung-do, (played by actor Jung Woo-sung) is a mole leaking confidential information to North Korea. [MEGABOX PLUS M]

Actor Lee Jung-jae of “Squid Game” (2021) had his directorial debut with “Hunt” — a film which he produced, wrote the script for, directed and starred in. It took Lee five years to get the film, which premieres in local theaters on Wednesday, on screens. 

“Hunt,” set in the 1980s during the Chun Doo Hwan military dictatorship, pits two stars — Lee and Jung Woo-sung — against each other. Park Pyung-ho, portrayed by Lee, is the foreign unit chief of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA), and Kim Jung-do, portrayed by Jung, is the KCIA's domestic unit chief. They are both tasked with uncovering a mole who is leaking top secret intel with the ultimate goal of assassinating the president. However, their prime suspects are each other. 

Spoiler

Img2

A scene from “Hunt,” which pits two stars and longtime friends, Lee and Jung, against each other. [MEGABOX PLUS M]

Lee, who had initially planned to partake in just the production of the film, took on the scriptwriting and ultimately the directing as well because he “couldn’t give up” on the project. 

“So many directors rejected this film,” Lee said during a press interview at a cafe in Samcheong-dong on Aug. 3. “But I just couldn’t let it go. I knew I couldn’t fathom how difficult the project would be from the onset, but I couldn’t just drop the idea. I thought it was a worthy subject to be brought to screen. So instead of wasting time trying to find an appropriate director, I wanted to at least show [to others] that this was the direction I was going for with the film, which is why I started writing the script. After oh-so-many modifications, the script was finalized, and by then I had already finished filming about seven other films. During the process, there were many moments when I wanted to give up, and realized why other directors refused the offer.” 

According to Lee, the biggest difficulty for him was finding the balance between the espionage action genre and the history of the narrative without either negatively impacting each other.  

“As a first timer in scriptwriting, it was difficult to describe the precise tension of a spy movie,” Lee said. “And it also took a long, long time to fact check all the history, to see if the researched data was based on objective facts without being politically biased. I also wanted to add a more unexpected plot twist [...] I took into consideration audiences in their teens and 20s, who have no direct connection to that time period. I wanted to write a narrative that they could comprehend without difficulty and offer entertainment.” 

0CDA879E-67E1-41E8-8C9C-277E97E27018.jpg
Hunt” is Lee's directorital debut. He also produced, wrote the script for, directed and starred in the film. [MEGABOX PLUS M]

Lee deliberated changing the timeline to a contemporary period due to the possibility of criticism arising because of the sensitive timeline. 

“I don't think people could really imagine the nights that I tossed and turned from the overwhelming fear of criticism and putting my entire career in jeopardy,” Lee said. “But I finally decided to go with the 80s background when I was deciding what our film’s message was going to be. The characters in the story take sides and remain hostile, opposed to each other — but for what? Who caused this polarization and how did they arrive at the predicament that they’re facing now? 

“When the two characters ultimately realize each other’s purposes and identities, they realize that their ultimate goal is the same even though it’s for different means,” Lee continued. “Although they have not achieved what they came to do, I still leave a small ray of hope for the next generation to accomplish what Pyung-ho and Jung-do didn’t.” 

After 29 years of acting, the veteran actor-turned-director says that scriptwriting helped him grow more on screen. 

“It still remains to be seen if filmmaking does help one’s acting,” Lee said. “But I definitely feel that writing a script does. [It’s different than merely acting] when shaping one’s role in a scenario, character to find out what kind of life he’s going through, what goal he’s set in his life, or whether he’s the kind of character that a generation nowadays would like. The process expands one’s mindset and it was a liberating experience to organize it on paper.” 

After trying his hand at directing, Lee believes that acting is more difficult. 

“I don’t know if I’ll be directing any more films,” Lee said shaking his head, smiling. “But I think that acting is still more difficult. Actors are more susceptible to situational changes, such as their mental state, as well as the mental state of their counterparts. They are more prone to exterior influences which will impact their acting. Directing is difficult in its own way. There are many decisions, choices and preparations to be made. It may be a little rash for me to say that acting is more difficult, but I think I dare to say this because I’ve been an actor for a long time.” 

A8C90DEE-AD8D-40D5-8AF9-9E790FD2C3E9.jpg
Lee Jung-jae [MEGABOX PLUS M]

"Hunt" also marks the first onscreen reunion of Lee and Jung in 23 years since their roles in the film “City of the Rising Sun” (1999). 

“I wanted to say that Jung refused the role four times, once annually for the four years,” Lee said with a laugh. “The biggest reason why is because he didn’t want to add any additional pressure on me. He knew that it was burdensome to take on acting and directing in one film, and for years we’ve heard so many people around us, both within the industry and our fans, talk about our reunion since ‘City of the Rising Sun.’ A lot of directors had said they wanted to do a film starring both of us, and we could feel the audiences’ expectations building up. So we knew the film that eventually starred both of us would face overwhelming pressure of becoming a hit [...] He knew that how difficult that was going to be.”

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/08/08/entertainment/movies/Jung-Woosung/20220808160118964.html
Jung Woo-sung talks friendship in film ahead of 'Hunt' debut

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr] | August 8, 2022

BC9D520F-59A7-4674-9D1B-5AB906C4AD94.jpg
Actor Jung Woo-sung portrays Kim Jung-do, the domestic unit chief of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA) He receives a tip that the organization’s foreign unit chief, Park Pyung-ho (portrayed by Lee Jung-jae) is a mole leaking confidential information to North Korea. [MEGABOX PLUS M]

Actor Jung Woo-sung feels just how ardently fans have been waiting for the on-screen reunion of him and his longtime best friend and colleague Lee Jung-jae as the duo promote their upcoming film “Hunt” together. 

“I really do” feel it, Jung said at a press interview on Aug. 3 at a cafe in Samcheong-dong, central Seoul. “And I am surprised at [the fans’] passionate response. More and more these days I feel that we had done a good job staying dedicated to the film on set. It would have been embarrassing if the film's result did not live up to fans’ expectations.” 

"Hunt," an action thriller which premieres in local theaters on Wednesday, is set in the 1980s and centers around Korea's intelligence agency. 

In fact, Jung refused the role of Kim Jung-do, an ex-soldier-turned-domestic chief of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA) four times before accepting the proposal. However, Jung says that his rejections were not because of the film’s setting, which takes place during Korea's Chun Doo Hwan military dictatorship. 

“It hasn’t been that long since society reached an agreement on the May 18 Gwangju Democratization Movement [in 1980], and there are still those who won’t acknowledge what happened,” Jung said. “For Jung-do, he’s a character in a dilemma as he asks himself the question of whether inflicting violence [upon civilians] is just, and he’s struggling to find meaning behind soldiers’ actions [who repressed the movement]. 

25DF9A67-591B-403E-AA70-59C893F46177.web
A scene from the film. “Hunt” marks the screen reunion of Lee Jung-jae and Jung Woo-sung, 23 years after they last appeared together in “City of the Rising Sun” (1999). [MEGABOX PLUS M]

“The film, in essence, is about two characters working through the conflict, and focuses on what they do as they try to carry out their beliefs. If the narrative arranged the historical events in such a way that the characters actively tried to interfere and change what had happened, then it might have been controversial for not aligning with the historical facts. But the film did not distort the facts, nor were the characters used that way.” 

Jung said that he watched the entire process, from the beginning when Lee wrestled with the film as a producer, to later taking on the scriptwriting and directing. 

“I first rejected the offer to get [Lee] to star in ‘Squid Game’ [2021],” Jung joked. “When he first showed me the project saying he wanted to take on production, as a colleague and a partner, I gave my opinion on the matter. I first wanted him to find a good filmmaker, and I did have intentions to star in the film with him. But before any of the casting could be made, it was crucial for Lee to find a filmmaker and fix up the script in a way that he wanted. But I saw him struggle as he contacted the directors. 

“I watched his understanding of the narrative deepen as he eventually took on scriptwriting, and when others proposed that he direct the film as well,” Jung continued. “He asked my thoughts on that, and I secretly thought to myself, ‘You’re in for a world of trouble.’ [laughs] It was while I was directing for my film ‘A Man of Reason,’ so I had a peek into how arduous the whole challenge would be. But when Lee finally decided to take on the challenge, I wanted to assist him so that he could finish what he set out to do.” 

8A95A0DF-0CF4-4972-9392-4BF69D6ACB77.jpg
Jung Woo-sung [MEGABOX PLUS M]

Next month, Jung and Lee will be heading stateside to Toronto as both of their directorial debuts, “Hunt” and “A Man of Reason” (2022), were invited to screen at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival, which runs from Sept. 8 to 18. 

“We were both extremely happy about the news from Toronto,” Jung said. “It was another fruit of the hard work and dedication that both of us put into our work, and a piece of news we could relay to the masses about the sincerity of our attitudes as a cineaste.” 

The 23-year “bromance” between Lee and Jung has earned the pair the nickname “Cheongdam couple,” because they can often be spotted together around Cheongdam-dong, southern Seoul. 

The pair in 2016 also founded an agency together, Artist Company, which represents some 20 actors such as Go A-ra, Park So-dam, ESom, Cho Yi-hun and Pyo Ji-hoon. 

According to Jung, the secret behind their decades-long friendship is accepting each other's differences. 

“It’s about appreciating our differences,” Jung said. “People usually want others to want the same things that they do, but that cannot be. We can complete each other because we have our differences, the other has qualities that I don’t have.” 

On 7/31/2022 at 1:55 AM, Helena said:

SBS ‘Master in the House’ (August 7)

[ENG] Master in the House 

Spoiler

https://zapzee.net/2022/08/09/is-lee-jung-jaes-huge-pearl-necklace-sponsored-the-story-of-his-shocking-fashion-on-all-the-butlers/
Is Lee Jung Jae’s Huge Pearl Necklace Sponsored? The Story of His Shocking Fashion on ‘All the Butlers’

By HANA LEE

47C8D98B-E6E1-4FDD-96DC-9DAF02FFEC0E.jpg
Credit: SBS

The bold fashion choice Lee Jung Jae made on All the Butlers is making headlines. Wearing a big pearl necklace with a pink suit, he shocked everyone in the show with his style that no one had ever dared to try before.

Lee Jung Jae and Jung Woo Sung guest-starred in the August 7th broadcast of SBS’ All the Butlers to promote their new movie, Hunt. The emcees met the two at the Chungdam office of Artist Company which the two founded in 2016. One of the emcees asked Jung Woo Sung about his friend’s fashion choice, and he said, “It’s a color he loves to wear.” But he soon added, “But I guess he decided to go bold with the pearl necklace today.” Yang Se Hyung also added, “Yours is the biggest pearl necklace I have ever seen in my life. That is a symbol of wealth,” making everyone laugh.

Following the broadcast, there was much speculation about Lee Jung Jae’s fashion. “Isn’t the necklace sponsored?” Some wondered. However, this was not the case.

“The wardrobe stylist and Lee Jung Jae discussed that outfit together. Given his feature and the fact that the jacket was a tweed one, the stylist suggested a pearl necklace. It is something that the two talked about. It is not sponsored,” Artist Company said on August 8th.

The stylist reportedly gave the actor a daring proposal as he likes to try new things. At the end of the day, the two were happy with their decision.

Source (1)

[ENG][HANBAM] Close-up interview - Main actors of 'HUNT' talk about "Director Lee Jung-jae"

watch -> https://youtu.be/4D_12mRPkZw

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/08/09/entertainment/movies/Korea-Hunt-Lee-Jungjae/20220809153932287.html
Lee Jung-jae's appearance on JTBC's 'Newsroom' canceled

BY LEE JIAN [lee.jian@joongang.co.kr] | August 9, 2022

97FB5162-9C46-451C-9F40-6BBE70AFE40A.jpg
Actor and director Lee Jung-jae [MEGABOX PLUS M]

Actor and director Lee Jung-jae's appearance on tonight's JTBC's live evening newscast "Newsroom"  has been canceled due to the heavy rain in the greater Seoul area.  

"Director Lee Jung-jae's appearance as a special guest on JTBC's "Newsroom" has been canceled and will be replaced with reports about the heavy rain," said Megabox Plus M on Tuesday.  

"Newsroom" airs every night from 7:30 pm. to 8:30 p.m. The program is known for conducting in-depth interviews with prominent figures such as Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter, and celebrities such as Song Joong-ki, Lee Hyo-ri, Gong Yoo and IU.  

Lee was scheduled to appear as a guest on "Newsroom" to discuss his upcoming film "Hunt" which he directed and acted in alongside his longtime friend and colleague actor Jung Woo-sung. It was teased that he would share the casting process of the film and the hardships he faced as a first-time director.   

"Hunt" is set to be released in local theaters on Aug. 10.   

Heavy precipitation, which started Monday night, was concentrated in the southern areas of Seoul, leading to large amounts of flooding. According to the Korea Meteorological Administration, the accumulated precipitation was 417 millimeters (16.4 inches) in Dongjack District, 387 millimeters in Seocho District, and 367 millimeters in Gangnam District.  

The Korea Meteorological Administration predicted that it would rain 100 to 300 millimeters (4 to 12 inches) in the metropolitan area and Gangwon by Wednesday, 30 to 150 millimeters in Chungcheong and North Gyeongsang, and 30 to 50 millimeters in North Jeolla.   

Lee shot to global stardom thanks to his role as Gi-hun in Netflix Korea’s “Squid Game” (2021). He was recently nominated for an Emmy Award in the category of the best lead actor in a drama for his role in the series. Including Lee's nomination, the series picked up 14 Emmy nominations across 13 categories. Lee, along with other cast and crew, is scheduled to attend the award ceremony on Sept. 12 in Los Angeles.

——

[2022-08-09] HUNT Special GV

Time: August 9 at 7:30pm
Host: Film journalist Jang Sung-ran
Director Kim Yong-hwa (Along with God), director Lee Jung-jae

Spoiler

B9C3EEC4-7914-409E-B0AB-21E0E3247D68.jpg

C29EF0C6-9ECB-4A8F-ABDE-386BC96F8810.jpg

C10DAAF2-57CE-4A54-9433-6DA729D23E90.jpg

4C54778B-2B71-4928-B4EC-D87AABD52C88.jpg

1455F014-A86A-4AE5-BA6D-E881A3139EFC.jpg

8E02322A-9763-4A96-8CDB-B528B2840DB8.jpg

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/interview.jsp?blbdComCd=601019&seq=442&mode=INTERVIEW_VIEW
"On the plane back to Seoul from Cannes, I adapted Hunt right away."

by Hellen Park | Aug 09, 2022

To meet Director Lee Jungjae of Hunt

E6144368-D597-4B19-97A9-991F22678919.jpg

Hunt, Lee Jungjae's directorial debut, stood at the center of the issue when it was screened at the Midnight Screenings at the 75th Cannes Film Festival. The first production of Actor Lee Jungjae, the main character of Squid Game, which created a syndrome around the world, was enough to arouse curiosity not only in Korea but also in the film industry around the world. 

Hunt, which took off its veil first at Cannes, easily surpassed expectations. Set in the 1980s in Korea, the film points out critical events in Korean modern history one by one. It isn't just a 'stylish' spy action movie. Rather, the message of the film that reflects the times seriously is very intense. However, the strength of Hunt could have been a weakness for foreign audiences who are unfamiliar with Korean history. Long subtitles were needed to explain Korean modern history, and the tangled relationship among the characters must have been complicated for overseas audiences. 

ADCBFEFF-0A33-4C60-998F-ED8228932FB0.jpg

It is said Director Lee Jungjae started the adaptation of the film on the plane back to Seoul after receiving hot responses at Cannes for the first time in his life. The director said, “Looking at the reactions at Cannes, I noticed several things that should be complemented. I changed the order of the scenes, and we re-recorded the lines, improving the level of perfection." It shows how much Director Lee Jungjae values the completeness of films. Ahead of the release in Korea, Hunt was pre-sold to 144 countries around the world along with the news that it was invited to the 47th Toronto International Film Festival. The upgraded version of Hunt will be released on August 10. We talked about Hunt and Squid Game with Director Lee Jungjae, who will make his official directorial debut in Korea.

We know that it took a very long time to make Hunt. At first, everybody thought you would star in the film as the main character, but you ended up directing it, too. Tell us how it happened.
= I’m a big fan of spy movies. In 2016, I encountered a script titled 'Namsan', the spy genre, and it was very exciting. I wanted to make it into a movie, so I bought the filming rights of the script and offered directions to directors who I believed would make it into a movie successfully. However, at the screenplay stage, the directors expressed their intention to drop it out. As time went by, I gradually thought, "Should I write and direct this movie?" From then on, I began to adapt the script myself.

Spoiler

5557B59B-086E-4006-8183-3E37F48B86BB.jpg

You adapted the script by yourself. Have you participated in any other film adaptations before?
= It was my first time writing a movie screenplay. For spy movies, probability matters most, and detailed storytelling is very important, too. From the beginning, I think I chose a genre that is too difficult for me. I also had a desire to make it a story with lots of twists. That’s why it took 4 years only for the adaptation process. Also, pre-production took a long time because it was a period drama set in the 1980s. While making Hunt, I starred in 7 films as an actor. However, I didn’t stop writing the screenplay. In the end, Han Jaeduk, CEO of SANAI PICTURES, suggested, "Since you completed the screenplay successfully, it would be better if you direct it yourself." That’s the reason I ended up directing the film.

How was your experience as a new director?
= Before directing, I had a kind of curiosity. There are quite a few actor-directors abroad. So, I was curious about that. But while directing the film myself, I realized that directing and acting are two different things. I thought that the staff and actors were going together on the path written in the film script. I’ve lost a lot of weight because I was acting and directing at the same time.

A24E4E42-99F5-4350-A5A3-27B527755588.jpg

The 1980s is a very sensitive time in Korean society. And the real incidents that shook Korea at that time appear in your film. It is said you adapted those parts, too. Wasn’t it difficult for you to work on the period drama?
= I had to ponder the matter deeply. It was so difficult for me to add cinematic imagination to the real incidents that happened in Korea in the 1980s. Meanwhile, I was worried a lot if it would adversely affect my career as an actor for 30 years. I couldn't sleep properly while making the film. There were many times when I was rewriting the script even in my dreams, and then I woke up and wrote down notes to save the idea. Going through the process was hard, but I was able to talk about the story that I wanted to tell in the end.

What kind of stories did you want to talk about?
= Our society seems to be divided too extremely. What is the reason for such severe conflicts? Everyone says that we do that based on our ‘faiths,’ but if someone has a different faith from mine, should I treat him or her as an enemy? I wanted to tell people that we should not fight based on false faiths. That’s why the backdrop of the film is the 1980s when the ideological conflict was most acute.

Spoiler

9139883A-A639-43AC-B0B5-83A30C24ED79.jpg

After Hunt, there are likely to be more audiences waiting for Director Lee Jungjae's next film. Now, you are getting a lot of attention as a director from overseas, aren't you?
= While writing the screenplay for Hunt, I wanted to submit it to the international film festivals, but I never imagined it would come true. I was happier because I could act with Actor Jung Woosung, who is the most meaningful and significant friend and colleague to me. However, I want to act in the future, and I want to act better. I just tasted directing for the first time, and acting seems to be more challenging for me.

You’ve become the first Korean actor to be nominated for the Best Actor at the Emmy Awards. Can you feel the global syndrome of Squid Game for real?
= An unbelievable event happened. No one knew that Squid Game would be so successful overseas. From an actor's point of view, I was worried that how our acting in Korean would be delivered to the global audience. And Director Hwang Donghyuk's script and directing ability allowed us to overcome the barrier. I am just surprised and happy that the success of Squid Game plays a role in developing Korean content and promoting Korea to the world. I especially feel a lot of interest in Korean actors, and I look forward to seeing more Korean actors on the global stage in the future.

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/newfilm.jsp?blbdComCd=601011&seq=483&mode=VIEW
HUNT

by Hellen Park | Aug 09, 2022

2022 | 125MIN l Action, Drama 
DIRECTOR Lee Jungjae
CAST Lee Jungjae, Jung Woosung
RELEASE DATE August 10, 2022
CONTACT Megabox Plus M
Tel +82-2-3017-3532
Email sales@megabox.co.kr 

Director Lee Jungjae's first movie HUNT cranked up. HUNT is a spy action film in which two government agents face huge truth as they chase a spy. In addition, Actor Jeon Hyejin of The Merciless (2017), which was invited to the Midnight Screenings at the Cannes,  plays another agent to help Lee Jungjae. Heo Sungtae, who worked with Lee Jungjae in Squid Game, will also appear as an NSP agent pressuring him in the film. 

Lee Jungjae has been a representative Korean actor for 25 years since his debut as an actor in 1994, starring in Director Bae Changho’s film The Young Man. The directorial debut film made by Lee Jungjae, who was reborn as a global star through the Netflix Series Squid Game that brought a huge sensation around the world in 2021, is expected to draw attention from the film industry around the world as well as Korea.

Also, Director Lee Jungjae's HUNT is the first film in 23 years that reunites Lee Jungjae and Jung Woosung, the two main characters of City of The Rising Sun (1999). Director Kim Sungsoo cast the best two youth stars of the time, Lee Jungjae and Jung Woosung, and the film drew a milestone in Korean film history. Since then, Lee Jungjae and Jung Woosung have been in a relationship as long film comrades, but it is the first time in 22 years that the two meet again in one movie.

[2022–08-10 Btv Lee Dong-jin’s Piarchia][HUNT] Director Lee Jung-jae is here!!! | in-depth interview
with prominent South Korean film critic Lee Dong-jin

Spoiler

F1EB35D4-A410-4D62-BC59-93536F5FAED7.jpg

[2022-08-10] Naver NOW MovieTalk X HUNT
Watch -> https://now.naver.com/s/now.5269?shareReplayId=28492573#replay

Time: August 10 at 6pm
Host: Park Kyung-lim
Attendance: Director Lee Jung-jae, actor Jung Woo-sung 

C16C1A53-2E8E-42BA-B311-B73DA519F712.jpg

Spoiler

560F747C-B3F8-44E1-A46C-9B16DBB8B0D2.jpg

BCD2DEB3-5AE6-4C09-8E92-67D69DB7E69D.jpg

60658B80-0CE5-48E7-8229-A92B157EF31E.jpg

3341ED76-95EF-4E0D-9345-E8B5AA0A9581.jpg

F0B16744-6ABF-489D-9FC3-9243B4E04D72.jpg

F7FFB534-EB5D-4816-9C38-4A2FC22FDABE.jpg

BC7015F4-99EA-4E2E-950E-6AEA1F5B6CB6.jpg

MegaboxPlusM

Daily Box Office - 2022-08-10 (Wed) <preliminary numbers>

Rank | Title | Release Date | Admissions (Total) | Number of Screens | Revenue Share
1. HUNT | 2022-08-10 | 210,792 (227,670) | 1,548 | 46.6%

2. Hansan: Rising Dragon | 2022-07-27 | 125,388 (5,024,095) | 1,252 | 27.3%

3. Emergency Declaration | 2022-08-03 | 56,077 (1,635,329) | 923 | 11.2%

4. DC League of Super-Pets | 2022-08-10 | 20,333 (24,542) | 555 | 4.1%
5. Top Gun: Maverick | 2022-06-22 | 17,931 (7,520,755) | 500 | 4.2%
6. Minions: The Rise of Gru | 2022-07-20 | 12,748 (2,029,457) | 480 | 2.6%

7. Decision to Leave | 2022-06-29 | 3,916 (1,794,247) | 160 | 0.9%
8. Pororo Movie_Dragon castle Adventure | 2022-07-28 | 3,501 (383,828) | 218 | 0.7%
9. 육사오(6/45) | 2022-08-24 | 3,226 (3,312) | 11 | 0.7%

10. Alienoid | 2022-07-20 | 1,993 (1,508,513) | 149 | 0.4%
Source: https://www.kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/stat/boxs/findDailyBoxOfficeList.do

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065572474593362
'Hunt' starts off solid at top of S.Korean box office attracting 210 thousand audiences

YonhapNews / 2022-08-11 09:21:48
(This article is translated from Korean to English by Joonha Yoo.)

CBF86CE2-8698-4485-BCB0-59D47602C731.jpg
▲This Photo, provided by Megabox Plus M, shows a scene from 'Hunt.' (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, August 11 (Yonhap) -- Final runner upper of South Korean summer blockbuster movie “Hunt” started off its journey at the top of Korean box office.

According to the integrated network of movie tickets by the Korean Film Council, “Hunt” attracted over 210 thousand audiences and caught up with “Hansan : Rising Dragon” which attracted 125 thousand audiences and top the S.Korean box office.

“As of 8 a.m. on Thursday, reservation rate of “Hunt” 32.2 percent is leading against “Hansan: Rising Dragon” which recorded 27.3 percent.

Director Han Jae-rim’s “Emergency Declaration” which premiered 2 weeks ago, attracted 54 thousand audiences and landed as third on the South Korean box office.

Actor Lee Jung-jae’s directorial debut movie “Hunt” is a spy action movie about two agents of National Intelligence Service, Park Pyong-ho acted by Lee Jung-jae and Kim Jung-do acted by Jung Woo-sung doubting one another as a mole within the agency. (END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

• Helena changed the title to Lee Jung-Jae 이정재 [Movie “Hunt”]

[ megabox_plusm + artistcompany ] HAPPY "HUNT" DAY! In commemorating the release of "Hunt," we will reveal the behind-the-scenes cuts of "Hunt." "Hunt" is a stylish action movie featuring director Lee Jung-jae and actors Jung Woo-sung, Kim Jong-soo, and Cha Rae-hyung! "HUNT" out in theaters now!

6CB5972D-D54B-4456-9E34-56F465B468D7.jpg

5B4BF926-7819-43F0-B098-F439FA728A2F.jpg

Spoiler

3C4D7014-C646-4AF7-B46B-04351F87732B.jpg

809DBF9D-1736-4592-8932-C5A5A1D5BE70.jpg

C9E5F2DC-9404-474A-BBC1-75308E7D2494.jpg

FDB07009-3850-4D7E-8061-A234AA6FFEFC.jpg

https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1006857460
[SBS Star] Lee Jung Jae & Jung Woo Sung Decorate Their Filming Site with Cute 'Couple' Photos

By Lee Narin  | 2022.08.11

9C0C0DBB-A8DA-47A5-A369-7F4172C77F0E.jpg

Spoiler

It has just been revealed that actors Lee Jung Jae and Jung Woo Sung decorated the filming site of their movie with adorable 'couple' photos.

On August 11, one staff who worked with Lee Jung Jae and Jung Woo Sung on their recently-released movie 'Hunt' uploaded some photos online that made a lot of people laugh.   The staff jokingly stated, "Guys, do you know what's really annoying about Lee Jung Jae and Jung Woo Sung? They filmed a movie where they constantly fight with each other, but this is what they did to the filming site. These weren't from fans."

5E8D00D4-5F7C-4F79-A7D6-8F51CB8FB1C7.jpg

The photos showed Lee Jung Jae and Jung Woo Sung together on digital screens and the wall, pretty much everywhere around the room.   Their photos were also made into stickers, which were stuck on the fan, paper cup holders, plastic cups with fruits inside and packages of cookies.   What drew attention was the way they looked in all the photos; they looked so happy with one another.  This definitely contrasted the story of 'Hunt', where their characters are big time rival ace agents working for the National Security Agency.

Lee Jung Jae and Jung Woo Sung have been friends for over 20 years; they are known to be very close.  They often spend time with each other.  They are referred to as 'Cheongdam married couple', because they are frequently spotted on a 'date' in Cheongdam-dong, Seoul, and they almost looked as if they were married every time they were seen together.

Upon seeing the staff's post, many laughed and shared comments such as, "Are you sure you didn't take the photos at their wedding reception?", "LOL I feel like they filmed 'Hunt' as an excuse to spend more time with one another.", "I laughed so hard looking at these pictures. I totally ship 'Cheongdam married couple'!" and so on.

079EF714-C926-4E76-A952-6D211053C943.jpg

(Credit= Online Community, MEGABOX Plus M, 'megabox.plusm' Facebook)
(SBS Star)

Daily Box Office - 2022-08-11 (Thu) <preliminary numbers>

Rank | Title | Release Date | Admissions (Total) | Number of Screens | Revenue Share
1. HUNT | 2022-08-10 | 173,353 (401,041) | 1,495 | 42.8%

2. Hansan: Rising Dragon | 2022-07-27 | 115,394 (5,139,484) | 1,287 | 28.3%

3. Emergency Declaration | 2022-08-03 | 50,912 (1,686,243) | 917 | 11.2%

4. Top Gun: Maverick | 2022-06-22 | 20,025 (7,540,773) | 506 | 5.6%

5. DC League of Super-Pets | 2022-08-10 | 16,929 (41,471) | 552 | 3.7%

6. Minions: The Rise of Gru | 2022-07-20 | 12,453 (2,041,904) | 460 | 2.8%

7.  OCTONAUTS Season 5 | 2022-08-11 | 4,171 (4,424) | 192 | 0.9%
8. Decision to Leave | 2022-06-29 | 4,040 (1,798,287) | 164 | 1.1%

9. Pororo Movie_Dragon castle Adventure | 2022-07-28 | 2,670 (386,498) | 185 | 0.6%
10. Alienoid | 2022-07-20 | 1,898 (1,510,463) | 144 | 0.4%
Source: https://www.kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/stat/boxs/findDailyBoxOfficeList.do

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065577169940241
Spy action 'Hunt' vs historical war movie 'Hansan'

YonhapNews / 2022-08-12 10:39:36
(This article is translated from Korean to English by Jiwon Woo.)

8FA7E601-24FA-4298-B708-B79588817EC6.jpg
▲This photo, provided by Mega box plus, shows "Hunt." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

78870919-5DBD-4FE8-BE96-62F6BCDF4AFA.jpg
▲This photo shows "Hansan." (Yonhap)

SEOUL, August 12 (Yonhap) --Spy action “Hunt” and Yi Sun-shin’s movie “Hansan : Rising Dragon” will be competing for the lead of S.Korean box office for this summer.

“Hunt” topped S.Korean box office with 173,000 viewers on Thursday, ousting “Hansan” (115,000 viewers), according to the integrated network of movie tickets by the Korean Film Council on Friday.

Lee Jung-dae’s directing debut film “Hunt” took the lead for two consecutive days since the released date, Aug. 10. Friday morning reservation rate of “Hunt” was 32.8% (159,000), getting ahead of “Hansan” (27.7%).

“Hunt” was the last of four major Korean films to be released this summer. Part 1 of “Alienoid,” released earlier, attracted 1.51 million people, and “Emergency Declaration” only drew 1.68 million people. The winner is most likely to be between the new movie “Hunt” and “Hansan,” which has accumulated total of 5 million audiences in the third week of its release.

“Top Gun: Maverick,”which is in its eighth week of release, drew more than 50,000 audiences on Thursday and took fourth place at the box office. With a cumulative audience of 7.54 million, it is likely to break the record of “Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol” (7.57 million), the most successful Tom Cruise movie ever.

Among the newly released films, animation is performing well. On Thursday, “DC League of Super-Pets” ranked 5th, “Ocean Expeditionary Force Octonut: Great Operation of the Expedition Ship” ranked 7th, and “The Movie of Survival: Human body and Deep sea” ranked 11th. (END)

[2022-08-12] HUNT MegaTalk GV 2

Time: August 12 at 7:30pm
Venue: Megabox COEX Dolby CINEMA
Host: Reporter Kwak Myung-dong
Attendance: Director Lee Jung-jae, actor Jung Woo-sung, representative Han Jae-duk, martial arts director Heo Myung-haeng
6F0A7080-2C06-4DB7-9AD0-A28BB4EC55CA.jpg

Spoiler

80294487-D8EE-4F96-839A-48C6983A2B75.jpg

4C8CCCED-7400-4096-8D74-A3C1CC34FE49.jpg

D23823B7-EAD8-403F-AE0C-D2B7B6E828B8.jpg

3965FD35-0C43-4B7C-9A80-D3F082849A67.jpg

MegaboxPlusM

[VOGUE KOREA] Polaroid Event. 24 Years of Friendship. Lee Jung-jae Jung Woo-sung ‘My Friend’ |  VOGUE MEETS
Watch ->  https://youtu.be/seXQXVPV00k

Daily Box Office - 2022-08-12 (Fri) <preliminary numbers>

1. HUNT | 2022-08-10 | 211,918 (613,000) | 1,519 | 44.1%

2. Hansan: Rising Dragon | 2022-07-27 | 141,139 (5,280,653) | 1,355 | 29.5%

3. Emergency Declaration | 2022-08-03 | 43,946 (1,726,891) | 865 | 9.0%

4. Top Gun: Maverick | 2022-06-22 | 27,271 (7,568,042) | 550 | 6.5%

5. DC League of Super-Pets | 2022-08-10 | 17,207 (58,677) | 568 | 3.1%

6. Minions: The Rise of Gru | 2022-07-20 | 13,555 (2,055,459) | 493 | 2.6%

7.  Decision to Leave | 2022-06-29 | 5,102 (1,803,389) | 177 | 1.1%
8. OCTONAUTS Season 5 | 2022-08-11 | 3,478 (7,902) | 186 | .6%

9. Pororo Movie_Dragon castle Adventure | 2022-07-28 | 2,916 (389,414) | 196 | 0.5%

10. Alienoid | 2022-07-20 | 2,763 (1,513,226) | 153 | 0.5%

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220811000547
From ‘Shiri’ to ‘Parasite,’ Korean films came a long way

By Song Seung-hyun (ssh@heraldcorp.com) | Aug 13, 2022

In commemoration of The Korea Herald’s 69th anniversary on Aug. 15, The Korea Herald has prepared a series of features delving into the phenomenon of Korean-made content influencing global contemporary culture and trends. Is it a one-off occurrence or is it here to stay? Can South Korea claim pride in the works of its creative minds as a nation? The Korea Herald expounds on the past and present of the Korean Wave and its prospects for the future. – Ed.

B86812C1-2DC8-4DE7-947E-B8F91B239EFF.jpg
Lee Jung-jae stars in “Hunt” (Megabox Plus M)

“Squid Game” star Lee Jung-jae said he could not enjoy drinks with fellow actors and directors after the VIP screening event of his directorial debut film “Hunt” held on Aug. 2. 

He explained that it was because he had a Zoom meeting to promote the film to foreign fans the next morning.

Lee’s film has been sold to 144 countries including France, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Russia and Brazil, even before its local release on Aug. 11.

“Tomorrow morning, I also have a meeting at 2 a.m.,” Lee said during an interview with a group of local reporters.

Similar to Lee’s case, many Korean actors and filmmakers recently started promoting their works more actively to overseas moviegoers, as the global demand for Korean movies is rising.

Spoiler

3880469C-9D02-4EFA-9BF2-A8581E2467F6.jpg
Scene from "Parasite" (CJ ENM)

Change did not happen overnight

After director Bong Joon-ho won the Oscar for “Parasite” at the 92nd Academy Awards in 2019, South Korean cinema also brought home two trophies from this year’s Cannes Film Festival -- best director for Park Chan-wook of “Decision to Leave” and best actor for Song Kang-ho of “Broker.”

These award-winning films and actors did not appear out of thin air.

Korean film’s history of overseas expansion began around the early 2000s, when “Shiri”(1999) directed by Kang Je-kyu became a box office hit in Japan. Around that time, director Im Kwon-taek’s “ChunHyang” (2000) became the first South Korean film to be selected to compete for Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival.

Around 2010, major Korean directors who gained global recognition expanded their global fanbase further by doing projects in the US with Hollywood star actors.

Park Chan-wook who won the Grand Prix for “Oldboy” (2003) at the 2004 Cannes and the Jury Prize for “Thirst” (2009) at the 2009 Cannes, presented his English-language debut film “Stoker” starring actors Mia Wasikowska and Nicole Kidman in 2013.

Star director Kim Jee-woon also made his US debut with the action thriller “The Last Stand” featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger in the lead in 2013. Before creating this film, Kim gained worldwide recognition through the horror film “A Tale of Two Sisters”(2003), the actioner “The Good, The Bad, The Weird” (2008) and the thriller “I Saw the Devil” (2010).

“Parasite” director Bong Joon-ho created his Hollywood debut feature “Snowpiercer” in 2013 as well. The film featured top Hollywood stars Tilda Swinton, Chris Evans and Jamie Bell, along with Song Kang-ho, who also performed in Bong’s “Parasite.”

Img3
Bae Doo-na plays Sonmi-451 in “Cloud Atlas,” her 2012 Hollywood debut. (Cloud Atlas Productions)

Many Korean actors started joining Hollywood projects around 2010.

Veteran Korean actor Lee Byung-hun performed Storm Shadow character in the 2009 picture “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.” He also played the same character in its sequel “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” in 2013.  In 2015, actor Lee continued his strides in Hollywood by starring in “Terminator: Genesis” as the new villain T-1000.

Actor Bae Doo-na’s Hollywood career began with Lana and Andy Wachowski’s “Cloud Atlas” (2012). After the first project, Bae also worked with Wachowski siblings for the film “Jupiter Ascending” (2015) and the Netflix series “Sense 8.” 

9D1308F3-848B-45FC-BB95-B947EF9D69DC.jpg
Oscar-winning actor Youn Yuh-jung (Hook Entertainment)

Still a long way to go?

Although many Korean films and actors started getting global recognition, the amount that most Korean films earn from the overseas market is still insignificant.

During Lee Jung-jae’s interview, he noted that although his film “Hunt” has been sold to 144 countries, the total earnings from foreign sales of the film are very small, without giving a specific figure. 

According to KOFIC’s data, the total amount for exports of movies was $43,033,018 last year, a decrease of 20.5 percent from the previous year. 

The export amount in 2021, which includes both movie-related technology and movie export amount, only accounts for 5.5 percent of the total film industry sales amount, according to the same data.

Film critic Jung Ji-wook said this is why some Korean filmmakers are more eager to create a movie that can appeal to mainly local audiences.

“If you look at recently released movies like ‘Hansan.’ Its poor Japanese lines clearly show that it is targeted for only Korean audiences,” he said. 

Jung believes that when filmmakers become too dependent on domestic ticket sales, it can easily lead them to make cliche content.

“It can hinder diverse stories from being created, and filmmakers will keep working with the same actors,” he said. 

However, film industry critic Yoo Tae-hee, also known as YouTuber Tuna, thinks simply trying to increase foreign sales can not be a solution. 

While increasing the portion of foreign sales can work as a safety net for some movies, it can not improve the quality of Korean movies for the future of our film industry, he said.

Yoo added that there are also risks as foreign countries can decide to change import policies.

“In particular, in the case of China, the future looks even more uncertain as it can move toward closing its doors ,” he told The Korea Herald.

https://www.goldderby.com/feature/emmy-nominees-quinta-brunson-lee-jung-jae-desi-lydic-rhea-seehorn-1205034813/
Emmy nominees Quinta Brunson, Lee Jung-jae, Desi Lydic and Rhea Seehorn celebrate 1st acting noms together [Exclusive Video Interview]

By Denton Davidson | August 12, 2022

23:10 Lee Jung-jae ('Squid Game'): 'I'm really looking forward' to what director Hwang conjures up for Season 2

Gold Derby recently gathered four of this year’s Emmy Awards acting nominees for a fun, spirited 50-minute virtual celebration. Quinta Brunson (“Abbott Elementary”), Lee Jung-jae (“Squid Game”), Desi Lydic (“The Daily Show’s Desi Lydic Foxplains”) and Rhea Seehorn (“Better Call Saul”) had a great time discussing their first ever Emmy acting nominations in this ‘Meet the Experts’ roundtable panel. They are joined by Gold Derby senior editor Denton Davidson for a memorable Q&A. Watch our exclusive video interview above.

We also chatted about their favorite TV shows that inspired them, other nominees or casts they would like to meet at the Emmys, plus each nominee’s episode submission being viewed now by television academy voters.

Brunson has entered the series premiere “Pilot” for Best Comedy Actress. She says, “I think the episode represents Janine well. As an actress I got to show the levels of Janine. That was important to me. Both the humor that the character is capable of as well as the deep care for her students. Being the writer and the creator of the show as well, I just know when Janine is at her best.”

Lee has submitted the episode, “Gganbu” for Best Drama Actor. He reveals, “There are a lot of emotions in the ‘Ganbu’ episode. There is betrayal and people have to use all their means to survive. Sometimes that means hurting other people and that might be someone that’s really close to you. It shows the bare face of what people have inside of them. That’s what made it interesting, shocking and saddening at the same time.”

Lydic entered the episode “The Vaccines Mandates” for Best Short Form Comedy Actress. She admits, “It was sort of a hot-button issue. One thing that our show has always done is lean into irony and satire to try to convey a larger point about something. That was just a specific topic that was really running wild with conspiracies. Our writers, producers and I all got to have a lot of fun with that one.”

Seehorn has submitted the episode “Hit and Run” for Best Drama Supporting Actress. She says, “It has its own mini arc. You’re seeing multiple sides of Kim in it. She’s sort of at the peak of her blinders, Machiavellian pursuit and pretending that her actions are all in a vacuum and that she can somehow control the outcome. You see her realize the effects of what she’s done and the collateral damage.”

Daily Box Office - 2022-08-13 (Sat) <preliminary numbers>

1. HUNT | 2022-08-10 | 394,402 (1,007,449) | 1,623 | 44.9%

2. Hansan: Rising Dragon | 2022-07-27 | 262,337 (5,543,010) | 1,431 | 30.3%

3. Emergency Declaration | 2022-08-03 | 74,212 (1,801,115) | 857 | 8.4%
4. Top Gun: Maverick | 2022-06-22 | 46,012 (7,614,054) | 568 | 5.6%

5. DC League of Super-Pets | 2022-08-10 | 31,893 (90,574) | 585 | 3.4%

6. Minions: The Rise of Gru | 2022-07-20 | 26,184 (2,081,640) | 528 | 2.9%

7. OCTONAUTS Season 5 | 2022-08-11 | 12,301 (20,203) | 240 | 1.3%

8. Pororo Movie_Dragon castle Adventure | 2022-07-28 | 8,573 (397,987) | 258 | 0.9%
9.  Decision to Leave | 2022-06-29 | 6,889 (1,810,278) | 177 | 0.8%

10. Alienoid | 2022-07-20 | 3,896 (1,517,121) | 144 | 0.4%

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065571151446906
'Hunt' tops box office on first day of liberation day surpassing 1 million viewers in S.Korea

YonhapNews / 2022-08-14 08:59:14

8FA7E601-24FA-4298-B708-B79588817EC6.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by Megabox Plus M, shows the poster for "Hunt." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, August 14 (Yonhap) – “Hunt,” a spy action movie starring Lee Jung-jae and Jung Woo-sung, topped the box office on the first day of the Liberation Day holiday.

According to the integrated network of movie tickets by the Korean Film Council on Sunday, “Hunt” mobilized 394,000 spectators the day before, increasing the cumulative number of spectators to 1,007,000.  Since its release on August 10, “Hunt” has dominated the box office for four days in a row, winning “Hansan: Rising Dragon.”

“Hansan” took second place with 262,000 viewers the day before, while “Emergency Declaration” took third place with 74,000 people.

“Top-Gun: Maverick,” which has been popular for a long time took fourth place with 46,000 viewers. With a cumulative audience of about 7,614,000, it broke the record for the highest box-office record of a Tom Cruise starring film which initially was 2011's “Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol” (7.57 million). It also broke the record for the number of audiences for foreign films after the pandemic which initially was “Spider-Man: No Way Home” (7.55 million).

On Saturday, August 13, the first day of the three-day holiday, the total number of people watching the movie was about 877,000, which was 14.0% less than 1.02 million on Saturday the previous week. (END)

HUNT surpassed 1 million viewers.

3018B20B-83EB-417C-A3F2-AC4958C58331.jpg

MegaboxPlusM

Daily Box Office - 2022-08-14 (Sun) <preliminary numbers>

1. HUNT | 2022-08-10 | 504,104 (1,511,634) | 1,625 | 46.9%

2. Hansan: Rising Dragon | 2022-07-27 | 323,94 (5,867,010) | 1,432 | 30.4%

3. Emergency Declaration | 2022-08-03 | 82,853 (1,883,985) | 847 | 7.7%

4. Top Gun: Maverick | 2022-06-22 | 53,852 (7,667,905) | 575 | 5.3%

5. DC League of Super-Pets | 2022-08-10 | 34,223 (124,803) | 578 | 3.0%

6. Minions: The Rise of Gru | 2022-07-20 | 30,962 (2,112,606) | 540 | 2.8%

7. OCTONAUTS Season 5 | 2022-08-11 | 12,088 (32,293) | 239 | 1.0%

8. Pororo Movie_Dragon castle Adventure | 2022-07-28 | 9,116 (407,106) | 253 | 0.8%

9.  Decision to Leave | 2022-06-29 | 7,658 (1,817,936) | 185 | 0.7%

10. Alienoid | 2022-07-20 | 4,250 (1,521,371) | 140 | 0.3%

Stage Greetings 8/14

D5B5477A-D382-43A3-84F5-8CA6B40F3F1B.jpg

Spoiler

32D4E502-879C-4849-AB7E-62C794C1219F.jpg

D6588312-3BF4-40AF-A7DD-79C379BEAFA4.jpg

4D4E9C9D-2FD0-4966-84A8-D983C2972615.jpg

56EF905A-C9AB-40F9-A683-F4D503D785F4.jpg

79ED2230-B000-4C06-A1E7-47AF5F13E7C4.jpg

D5B5477A-D382-43A3-84F5-8CA6B40F3F1B.jpg

C71382C0-7566-4439-914C-87093D85C05E.jpg

A55C4295-141A-42CA-8883-BD7B0CF92E82.jpg

B96F6FE3-0CA5-4D90-BC7E-F00A552769D4.jpg

5DF515D7-04CD-4B21-95DD-CE4678B59479.jpg

MegaboxPlusM

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2022/08/15/entertainment/movies/hunt-lee-jungjae-jung-woosung/20220815132415495.html
'Hunt' surpasses 1.5 million in ticket sales, tops box office for five straight days

BY HALEY YANG [yang.hyunjoo@joongang.co.kr] | August 15, 2022

25DF9A67-591B-403E-AA70-59C893F46177.web
A scene from the espionage film "Hunt" starring actors Lee Jung-jae, left, and Jung Woo-sung. [MEGABOX PLUS M]

Espionage film “Hunt” starring actors Lee Jung-jae and Jung Woo-sung surpassed 1.5 million in ticket sales, topping the Korean box office for five days in a row.  According to the Korea Box Office Information System on Sunday, “Hunt” garnered approximately 394,000 moviegoers on Saturday and another 504,132 on Sunday.  “Hunt” hit local theaters on Aug. 10 and tells the story of 1980s agents who start suspecting each other of being undercover moles.

The box office runner-up was the historical war action film “Hansan: Rising Dragon,” followed by the disaster action “Emergency Declaration.”   

“Hansan: Rising Dragon,” which stars Park Hae-il as the legendary admiral Yi Sun-sin (1545-1598), also surpassed 6 million in ticket sales on Monday according to its distribution company Lotte Entertainment.  The film opened in Korean theaters on July 27 and centers around Yi’s naval victory in the Battle of Hansan Island in 1592, in which Admiral Yi fought against the Japanese invasion. 

[2022-08-14] 2nd Annual Hollywood Critics Association TV Awards: Best Actor in a Streaming Series, Drama

77CC232B-A2B6-4E67-A12F-03124A0DDE9F.jpg

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20220816001100315
'Squid Game' wins two prizes at U.S. critics' awards

By Kim Boram (brk@yna.co.kr) | August 16, 2022

SEOUL, Aug. 16 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean sensation "Squid Game" has won two awards at this year's Hollywood Critics Association (HCA) TV Awards.  According to the HCA on Tuesday (Korean time), "Squid Game" was named Best International Series and its lead Lee Jung-jae won Best Actor in a Streaming Series, Drama, at its annual awards for TV programs.

For the Best International Series award, the all-Korean Netflix original competed with the Korean-language epic series "Pachinko," the Mexican comedy "Acapulco," the French thriller "Lupin," the Spanish crime action series "Money Heist" and the American-Mexican crime drama "Narcos: Mexico."

This image from the homepage of the Hollywood Critics Association (HCA) highlights the nominees for the Best International Series at this year's HCA TV Awards. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

In a videotaped acceptance speech, "Squid Game" creator Hwang Dong-hyuk said he is grateful for the honor and now working on the series' second season.  "I believe the series has since overcome the limits of a non-English series to create many historical moments and breakthroughs," he said. "I do hope to create a better second season and share it with all the fans and critics around the world."

Lee took home the best actor trophy, beating seven other candidates, including Adam Scott from "Severance," Jason Bateman from "Ozark" and Tom Ellis from "Lucifer." He was the only non-English performer among the nominees.

The awards came about a month before the Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony slated for Sept. 12, where "Squid Game" has nabbed 14 nominations, including outstanding drama series and outstanding lead actor.  "Squid Game" is the first South Korean-made content to be included in the final list of nominees for the Primetime Emmy Awards, one of the four major American awards for performing arts and entertainment.  It is also the first non-English language series to vie for television's top honor at the Primetime Emmys. (END)