[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

I just watched episode 8 from two different sites

dramacrazy.net and kimchidrama...

and the part where nak young(NY) and the great queen dowager(GQD) was having a conversation about the heir....

it was translated into this...

GQD : So,will she(the queen) bear an heir?

NY : There will be no problem...

(but she is monologuing to herself that the queen cannot give birth to a prince)

so,my guess is that the queen will instead give birth to a princess...but,i hope i'm wrong cuz that will require lee hwon to consummate the marriage...heee....selfish mode,sorry~...=]

what do you guys think about the heir issue?

I interpreted the scene as follows (loosely interpreted):

GQD: Will an heir (prince) be born?

NY: Without a doubt.

NY(inner thought): But it will not be the current queen to do so.

It's a play on words because Koreans often conveniently leave out pronouns, and the GQD is asking if the queen will bear a child, but she leaves out the pronoun. So NY can answer yes without actually lying. I don't know if NY actually knows IF an heir will be born, or if she is simply buying time and reassuring the GQD. That is for us to wait and find out. (But I'm hoping that she's talking about Yeonwoo!)

And princesses aren't even considered because they have no direct affect on the throne.

and the part where nak young(NY) and the great queen dowager(GQD) was having a conversation about the heir....

(but she is monologuing to herself that the queen cannot give birth to a prince)

so,my guess is that the queen will instead give birth to a princess...but,i hope i'm wrong cuz that will require lee hwon to consummate the marriage...heee....selfish mode,sorry~...=]

They will never ever consummate their marriage! It is true that Hwon will have an heir but not with BK but with YW/Wol.

Tomorrow is Sunday, is MBC going to release the written preview for episode 9 tomorrow? Hoping... hoping... hoping!

Haaay! 4 more days to go! Can't wait for episode 9!

BTW, guys don't worry I believe each character will be given their own shining moment. It is just that, to sustain the momentum of the drama, they need to show more of Hwon and Wol's development. The first episodes of the adult part is crucial to the rating as they need to begin all over again so I believe they need to focus more on the focal point of the novel which is Hwon and Wol's love story. Everybody is doing a great job, even most of the characters have been given few minutes only, we can see them doing really well! LEt's just enjoy this drama with all the characters.. :wub::wub:

Guest rianna2008

No, she is saying"with the body of the current queen, she will surely not give birth to a crown prince."

so I believe she is implying :you will surely get a heir(crown prince) but just not from the "current" queen..

so don't worry :)

I don't think Hwon could ever sleep with Bo Kyung. Seriously I think he would rather die than go through something like that. Especially when you see what her presence in a room alone can do to his health. She almost killed him the last time they were in a room together. LOL. Any physical touch would drive this man to his grave IMO.

I think it will be Wol who will become queen and then have a kid together based on all the spoilers. So I don't think you have to worry at all. We will have our bed scene of our OTP. Too bad there won't be a shower scene. Kdramas usually have those but I don't think there were showers back then. ( now I am being totally silly )sorry.

1Crazynyt Whenever you want to break loose I am backing you up 100%. As for the HEIR matter, I think you are absolutely right. As long as there is no HEIR mixed with Bo Kyung's bloodline, they really can't harm HWON. Without HWON's little swimmers, they really have no power. So Hwon just has to keep on avoiding BK and he is still safe. I can't wait till Yeon Woo's memory comes back fully. She will be so touched that whether he is awake or dreaming all he ever thinks about is her. Even after her death.

Guest gilerkore

Yeoreobun (everyone), please stay calm.

Especially to all JIW fans.. I know there are many here.

Alright.

I know for sure why JIW took up this role.

He'll have a breakthrough performance at the latter part of the show. He is not stupid to take this role when he knows he wouldn't do much in it.

Since 49 days, his name rose to stardom due to his smart choice of choosing roles. Look at FBRS. That drama became the no. 1 drama of all the cable channel dramas last year.

So we all should have faith in him.

I BELIEVE THAT YANGMYUNG WILL SHINE IN THE UPCOMING EPS.

Just you guys wait and see..

Guest simplycomplexayee

i like han gain but i feel that this role doesnt fit her too well! I not a hater or anything but I just feel that all the child actors really resemble the current actors except for her... /:

Wow, gosh yes!!! Everyone should be massively interested, because the subs on the Hulu version blow all the others clean away. The translator clearly knows Saeguk-speak Korean very well AND can turn it into appropriate English that doesn't grate on a native speaker's nerves. A rare combination indeed.

True, I haven't had time to watch all the 6 eps currently up there yet all the way through, but I spent the last hour or so fast forwarding to spots where the subs elsewhere had me groaning in agony or chucking my collection of very heavy Hanja dictionaries at the screen, and every time the subber in this case comes through with flying colors. There are some places where the subber concerned has accepted that certain nuances can't be gotten across and have to be passed over or conveyed by fairly bold paraphrases, but that's what professional translators are trained to do, and there's clearly a skilled professional behind these subs. What a rarity!

Alas, thanks to MBC's harebrained licensing policies, you have to be in America to see them. Maybe someone will have the patience to grab them and leak them in softsub format for the rest of the world to appreciate this magnificent drama as it deserves to be understood.

Just out of curiosity, which scenes are you referring to?

Just out of curiosity, which scenes are you referring to?

Far too many to list, let alone analyze. Dive in anywhere and compare what you find on Viki (epecially the Viky subs for eps 3 onwards, which were apparently supplied from MBC Korea, not done by Viki members, and which are by far the poorest subs I've ever seen on Viki) or the subs on the other sites, which are using DSS with what the MBC America translator has made of the dialogue. It's a tour de force. OK, because I'm the pickiest complainer about subs on the planet, there are a few things where I think the Hulu subs slide over things that could have been brought across into English, e.g. the exchange at the start of ep 4, where Hwon and YW use their shared preoccupation with riddles to allow her to discover both the Hanja and the reading of the Prince's taboo name, which must never be either spoken or written, but since all the other subbers and all the recappers I've looked at missed this too, I can hardly hold that against the Hulu subber.

Anyway, since it's beyond the point Hulu has got to with subbed episodes so far, I'll try to clear up any remaining doubt about what the lines in ep 8 concerning the heir-to-be born actually say. hHere's my spot translation of them.

The context is that the Queen Dowager is extremely suspicious of why NY has suddenly appeared now after all this time. NY, clearly anxious about how thin her excuse may sound, explains that after the crime of abusing her powers to encompass a person's death, she had to wander the world in penitence, purging both her body and her soul of the evil forces that had worked through her. She had constantly watched "the portents of the times", looking for signs that an auspicious moment for her return had come, and it was such signs that brought her back.

QD: You say say you were waiting for an auspicious time? So, has that time now come?

NY: It has, your Majesty. And it is an auspicious time for your Majesty also.

QD: You mean, we shall see the birth of an heir? [The word she uses here, 원자 (元子) refers specifically to the first born son of a monarch]

NY: Beyond all doubt, we shall, your Majesty. [여부가 있겠사옵니까] {Then, voiced-over to herself] But from the body of the present Queen, no heir shall come forth.

If anyone is interested, here is the link to the The Moon that Embraces the Sun on hulu uploaded by MBC America.

http://www.hulu.com/the-moon-embracing-the-sun

I watched a little bit of Episode 6 and as a fluent Korean speaker, the subs are pretty good, way better than most of the subs released by fansubbing teams. So i do recommend watching it on hulu. They have EP1-6 uploaded so far. 

ENJOY!

Guest lildebbie464

Yeah guys let's not argue here! We're all here because we love this drama am i right?

I personally actually started watching the drama because of Jung Il Woo too, but I am totallyyyy drawn into the story line now, it's so good!!!

I DO wish JIW had more screentime though so we can grow to appreciate his character more.

I think Yang Myung adds another level of depth into the story and I wish we could see that more

Wow I just watched 8 episodes non-stop and I am in love. At first I was like, a historical drama?, no thank you. But I kept watching and the child actors acted so well that I couldn't stop. When the adult actors came in, I wanted to stop watching, but now it's a little better. I really can't wait for episode 9 :)  

Guest GRAPEJUICE

A question: I don't understand why Hwon is having those spasms of pain! He's not gonna die from a disease is he??

Is it really because those evil people are "cursing" him and all that, is all that sticking needles in the dolls thing true in this drama?? Or is it coz he's pining away for Yeonwoo?? I don't understand what's happening to him.

Was this explained, I didn't catch. LOL~

It all winds down to individual preferences and as pointed out,value system .I personally think there is no way to satisfy all of audiences's wants ,especially for a 20 episode drama.I'm just contented that the actors readily and voluntarily took up the roles after reading through the scripts,and that the drama has been awesome thus far. not to say complaints or different opinions are not allowed on public forums,but of course there will be divergence. :P

grapejuice i think the drama has been very non literal in the sense,i don't know if they'll fully explain it in the coming episodes but most readers interpreted it as YW's absence and then presence having to do with hwon's bad and good health.

text preview soon :w00t:

Guest mionenoelle

Wow I just watched 8 episodes non-stop and I am in love. At first I was like, a historical drama?, no thank you. But I kept watching and the child actors acted so well that I couldn't stop. When the adult actors came in, I wanted to stop watching, but now it's a little better. I really can't wait for episode 9 :)  

This is how I feel too. I don't usually go for sageuks because I'm daunted by the length and intricacy of court plots. But this is just perfect. MoonSun doesn't have the complex court/social drama of other sageuks, but this is definitely a plus for me. I see MoonSun as a fairytale with shamans instead of fairy godmothers. It may not be for everyone, but it definitely appeals to me. ^_^

Any Woon fans here?

I translated a small part of his from the book, cause my heart went all out to woon reading his parts, and his love for wol as well.

Here it is.

tl.gd/fiqko4

It shows how much Woon yearns for Wol, makes me so hurt. Don't know if they will show it in the show.

Hope they do, yet i hope they won't, since it will be so heartbreaking to see Woon in pain.

Can't wait for next wed, only 1 day has passed.

Oh, my goodness!  After reading all four of your tweets, I just realized that this novel is Korea's answer to the English Barbara Cartland and American Danielle Steele romance novels.  Right down to the heavy breathing and the heroine being smothered in the hero's embrace.  How funny . . . and fun . . . and delightful.  hahaha  :wub:blush.gif

BTW, there is one point that I've been meaning to mention, which is Ha Ga In's lovely voice in her voice-overs.  It is perfectly reminiscent of the 13 yr old Yeon Woo.  Once again, we hear the maturity, logic, strength and sophistication that belonged to that 13 yr old girl.  That is when I feel the old Yeon Woo, in her, the most.   :)

I really hate myself for watching episodes 7 and 8 so early in the week OTL.

Now I have to WAIT. I can't take it anymore ㅠㅠ

Episode 7 made me the most happiest girl in the world.

Episode 8 made me the most unpatient girl in the world.

Gahh why is Wednesday and Thursday so far away?! -le sigh-

It's official, I am completely in love with this drama. How do I know?

1) Everytime I look at the sun or moon, I think of Hwon and Yeon Woo (Wol).

2) This is really sad: but sometimes I absentmindedly speak in OLD formal language to my family (like orabeoni) -- my mom looked at me like I was crazy =_=;

3) When it snows here, I always imagine Hyung Sun fanning out all the flower petals ^^

4) I start to break down when it rains (soft/misty rain) -- my mom thinks I'm clinically depressed.

5) I push all my work/studies aside in the far left of my desk and get ready to watch an episode.

6) I dig up all videos of TMTETS, whether it's behind the scenes or interviews

7) Talk to my friends about it and I'm the one who gets excited and starts freaking out.

8) I don't see the age difference between Han Ga In and Kim Soo Hyun. All I see are two people who love each other so much.

9) My blood pressure goes up and I feel an adrenaline rush every time an episode ends.

10) When my grandma tries to find the drama on some korean site, I say, "page 4, 3rd row on the far right." Grandma: o_O

11) Listen to the OSTs every single day. I also listen to it before I sleep.

12) I watch each episode RAW and then english subbed. Sometimes viet subbed or chinese subbed too when I want to feel multilingual.

13) Sadly, I need to watch at least 2 episodes a day as my daily nutrition and charger.

14) I check my calender every day if it's Wednesday or Thursday.

15) AWW SHUCKS. EVEN MY MEMBER TITLE SAYS IT ALL! ;D

Trust me. There's more. But my head is BURNING right now after watching the ending of ep. 8 ..... for the 5th time.

... ^^;

Guest knightkiss

WOW. Young woon looks so much like adult woon in that angle. Its great that the staff cast actors who really look like the child actors. Well, except for Yeom but oh well.

I'm getting excited for the next episode!