[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

Yoojung and Minho appeared in yesterday's MBC Section TV... (no subs though)

Watch before it gets taken down by MBC. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcwK04Dh-EA

Yoojung danced a bit of Roly Poly (T-ara) there

JPntD.jpg

I feel so sad for Hwon. Reading that novel spoiler, it just seems like he has no one loyal in his side (except for HS). In the tv drama, YM seems likely to betray him because of a woman and in the novel, it seems like Woon is heading that way too. On top of that, he has all the ministry, officials plotting against him and ready to kill him once a heir is formed. His grandmother is also scheming and his queen.... wow!

I hope Wol continues to be on his side. :( It's just so sad that he has no one he can confide in now, w/out them forming ulterior motives.

Guest wingyee

I hope Wol/Yeon Woo can regain her memory back soon because all these memories she can see, she thinks they are not hers and belongs to Lee Hwon. In fact, they are hers and Lee Hwon's so it's sad to see her think that they are not hers. If she can see Lee Hwon after he unmasks himself in her recurring dream, will she finally realise/remember her identity and her past? I hope that's the case!

Also on another note, why does Lee Hwon call Hyung Seon 'Sang Seon' sometimes? Is it a proper name to address him by formally?

I think I'm in the minority here but I don't want Yang Myung to try win Wol love as he is bound to lose. I don't want him to add another difficulty for our lovely OTP. I want him to find a new love. From what I read in this forum - it doesn't happen in the book but I have hope it will happen in the drama.

And Hwon / Wol love is so immense and eternal. I just adore this couple and the chemistry between Kim Soo Hyun and Han Ga In.

I really have high expectations from this drama and thus far, it didn't let me down.

I think I'm in the minority here but I don't want Yang Myung to try win Wol love as he is bound to lose. I don't want him to add another difficulty for our lovely OTP. I want him to find a new love. From what I read in this forum - it doesn't happen in the book but I have hope it will happen in the drama.

And Hwon / Wol love is so immense and eternal. I just adore this couple and the chemistry between Kim Soo Hyun and Han Ga In.

I really have high expectations from this drama and thus far, it didn't let me down.

Agree ... a bit of me wish that with this drama, maybe YM can be pair up with Janshil, possibly or another person like YW just so he could have a little bit of the happiness he deserve since honestly, this guy suffers too much from beginning to end. And now with the appearance of Wol, my heart just ache for him more knowing that he is going to go down that same suffering path all over again, given a 2nd chance yet still doesn't get that love.

There is a possibilities that he can be in the way of our lovely OTP but I really wish and pray he wouldn't because YM character seem to be the type who wishes for other happiness before his own. Just like when he was young, instead of taking YW away ... he accept her decision because her happiness was his top priority ... I think the same will be in this case that even if he doesn't get Wol's love, I think he'll be the support for the two of them to be together because he loves Wol / YW and his brother. I don't think he'll change for the better esp over love ... I think and feel that he'll be their pillar of support instead... because even if he doesn't get her love, he'll still want to protect her the way he couldn't in the past as well as protect his younger brother.

*cross-finger* Loving watch this drama ... every week have to prepare my tissue, lol history is repeating itself but hopefully, the 2 brother will not be torn apart between of love ... I want their bound to stay strong!!!

Guest Greenrose934

Exactly ! I agree with you...He's a nice guy ......he shouldn't try to win his brother's wife ....'s heart ...he must know she loves his brother ( didn't love him )

but ending of epi 10 he did the wrong thing ... make me feel bad about him ...

He's a King's boy but he has nothing ... just a playboy only ...it's not fair for him ...but at least he should find a good girl to love ...not his sister-in-law

The way he chose making him miserabble ( because nobody in this world accepts the guy who seduces his sister-in-law !!!)

htly6f I am so torn for Yang Myung. I want him to be happy but it seems like fate just won't give him a break at all. I don't know if he thinks Wol is Yeon Woo or likes Wol for who she is. A Shaman. I loved their interaction at the paper store. I love how Wol looked at Yang Myung. She looked happy, and more herself like the younger Yeon Woo we remember. With Hwon she looked so sad, confused and in turmoil. Besides Hwon is yelling at her, accusing her of treason, playing with her emotions, making her really feel like crap right now. Telling her she has no rights since she is a Shaman that just because he is keeping her by his side doesn't mean she has his heart etc. Of course we all know that Hwon will regret the day when he finds out that she is his beloved Yeon Woo and will cry buckets and payback will be unbearable for Hwon as well but for now Yang Myung is more of an attractive option for Wol. IMO. With Yang Myung she doesn't seem as tormented and seems more at peace with herself. But we are torn because we know in the end She will choose Hwon. I also do wish that Yang Myung will put the breaks and find his own happiness but seems like he will fight for her. It just feels like a car crash that you don't want to see but you just can't tear your eyes away from it. All I can say is Yang Myung if you are going to fight for her, give it your all. So you will have no regrets this time. But deep inside I do want him to be happy and fall for another love as well. Just torn inside for him.

I finally started watching yesterday and just finished episode 10,These types of drama's never bode well for the kings true love, they are almost always killed. I would love to see this one be different, I found it amazing how both the adult and child king along with the female counterparts had so much chemistry between them. It's also kind of sad to see everything repeating. When they finally realize that Wol is Yeon Woo I would love for the prince to realize without bitterness that she is not for him and move on but the dowager queen, the queen and her father, I want them afraid that Yeon is back from the dead to extract retribution and to make them suffer.

Since this is a fictional story they can make the good guys win and the bad guys suffer for once.That would be a truly happy ending.  

alexus, I think the main reason Hwon is mean to Wol is because he is falling in love with her but he feel guilty about his old treasured love (well, he still doen't know it's the same girl). And if that is the case, I think it's totally understandable. And moreover, IMO, I think she feels more comfortable around Yang Myung because she sees him as a friend and besides, he is not the king so she can talk with him more easily but that doesn't mean it will lead to mutual love or that he is more suitable for her.

htly6f I am so torn for Yang Myung. I want him to be happy but it seems like fate just won't give him a break at all. I don't know if he thinks Wol is Yeon Woo or likes Wol for who she is. A Shaman. I loved their interaction at the paper store. I love how Wol looked at Yang Myung. She looked happy, and more herself like the younger Yeon Woo we remember. With Hwon she looked so sad, confused and in turmoil. Besides Hwon is yelling at her, accusing her of treason, playing with her emotions, making her really feel like crap right now. Telling her she has no rights since she is a Shaman that just because he is keeping her by his side doesn't mean she has his heart etc. Of course we all know that Hwon will regret the day when he finds out that she is his beloved Yeon Woo and will cry buckets and payback will be unbearable for Hwon as well but for now Yang Myung is more of an attractive option for Wol. IMO. With Yang Myung she doesn't seem as tormented and seems more at peace with herself. But we are torn because we know in the end She will choose Hwon. I also do wish that Yang Myung will put the breaks and find his own happiness but seems like he will fight for her. It just feels like a car crash that you don't want to see but you just can't tear your eyes away from it. All I can say is Yang Myung if you are going to fight for her, give it your all. So you will have no regrets this time. But deep inside I do want him to be happy and fall for another love as well. Just torn inside for him.

I'll be citing Chi Soo " Don't you watch dramas? Girls always choose bad boys." :D 

Even though bad boys yell at our heroines and they're all nasty because our heroines make them feel something (FBRS, Secret Garden, etc.), in the end heroines eventually choose bad boys.

The last drama when a nice guy got the girl was Dream High, ironically also played by Kim Soo Hyun. It was kinda refreshing to see that a genuinely nice naive guy can get a girl too :D

I love Yang Myung and will root for him till the (bitter) end, but I decided not to ship him with Wol anymore. Because Hwon/Wol  love story's something fateful, it's kinda difficult to beat that. 

So I decided to accept the fact that the author wrote Yang Myung character as the most typical second lead ever. I can't even think of other second lead who was so miserable as Yang Myung.

• Daddy issue - not only that his father didn't love him (or at least Yang Myung believes so), but a son his father prefers is his love rival
  • One sided love - YW/Wol never saw him in a romantic way, she only cared for him as for older brother
  • Self-realization -  even Hwon said that Yang Myung excelled him in both martial art and study, but since he can't even show his skills, he's aimless in his life. He can't live the life he wants because he would became a threat to his brother.
  • Mummy issue - seeing his mother suffering from being nothing more than a king's "possession"  
  • Friends - all his longtime friends became king's men
  • His love/hate relationship with his love rival - it's always tricky when your rival in love is also your brother; both of them love the same woman, but it seems he loves his brother more, so in the end he will let go of Wol so she can be with Hwon

Why didn't the author make him unattractive and poor to complete his miserable fate? 

I don't think he will have a happy ending. In fact I think he's even going to die in order to protect either Wol or Hwon.

alexus, I think the main reason Hwon is mean to Wol is because he is falling in love with her but he feel guily about his old treasured love (well, he still doen't know it's the same girl). And if that is the case, I think it's totally understandable. And moreover, IMO, I think she feels more comfortable around Yang Myung because she sees him as a friend and besides, he is not the king so she can talk with him more easily but that doesn't mean it will lead to mutual love or that he is more suitable for her.

Yes, I know why he is acting the way he is.Just getting impatient with the fact I was expecting a Kiss than nothing in episode 10. I totally feel him as well. I understand where Hwon is coming from. I just want them to be done with the arguing phase and get on with the make out sessions. Just getting impatient that's all. hehehehe, I think we are all ready for it. Just let it happen soon PLEASE. There is only so much of non-skinship one can take. Please I totally agree with dramaok. They are all way over dressed. I understand it is cold at the shoot but seriously get some portable heaters and take some layers off. I am not asking for too much am I? Body heat is also a great method to keep warm, so let's get these actors to take advantage of that.

Aisling after reading your post I might go into a massive depression feeling so sorry for our Yang Myung. So hard not to fall in love with JIW. Yes, I agree with you. He will end up giving his life to save Hwon or Yeon Woo.That is just how loving this man is.

Guest ghettoe

Ok, I thought I had commented on here but evidently not. A surprise because I have been trailing this drama since before it was released. I have been really impressed with this drama; actually to be more correct, I have been impressed with Kim Soo Hyun. He has been such a surprise and it's not from the recent episode but from around episode seven that I was floored by his acting. His expressions and his mannerisms are done so well that I was shocked this was the same person that was in Giant and Dream High (never finished that one). I honestly did not bother to learn his name until this drama. I have a hard time remembering people and you really have to make an impact to get me to remember you. He's not perfect, there are still some akward moments especially when his character first appeared and he had to show authority. He looked somewhat awkward but he's settling very well into it. As for the rest of the casts, I am slightly underwhelmed by certain characters. This is excluding the veterans. (The dowager and the ministers, they have done well)

Jung Il Woo- It's really not his fault but he's stuck playing the same roles which makes me really ignore him in a lot of dramas. He's almost always in a filler role. As in the drama doesn't need him but he's a decent addition. Plus, he's always playing the same playful character which is the worst thing for him when he's showing emotion. It never goes beyond the blank gaze, a few tears and a kind of looking around look. Not very believable.

Han Ga In - She's beautiful and that's helping. To be honest, the scenes with Kim Soo Hyun help her because he really delivers and creates anticipation, but her acting is somewhat lacking. Especially when she was trapped in jail and panicking. I find her absolutely stunning and I can't hate her but objectively speaking, the acting needs some improvement.

Overall: Though the plot has been decent enough to keep me here. A good touch of humor, not overly sweet and some great and suspensful moments. Can I also say that the King and servant pair is so awesome. I absolutely love his servant and the way they work together really makes some of the best scenes in this drama. From their crying scene with Yeon Woo's letter, to their comedic scene around episode 8 when they were in the bath place and the homosexual hints. oh love this pair.

Phew, that was a lot.

Yes, I know why he is acting the way he is.Just getting impatient with the fact I was expecting a Kiss than nothing in episode 10. I totally feel him as well. I understand where Hwon is coming from. I just want them to be done with the arguing phase and get on with the make out sessions. Just getting impatient that's all. hehehehe, I think we are all ready for it. Just let it happen soon PLEASE. There is only so much of non-skinship one can take. Please I totally agree with dramaok. They are all way over dressed. I understand it is cold at the shoot but seriously get some portable heaters and take some layers off. I am not asking for too much am I? Body heat is also a great method to keep warm, so let's get these actors to take advantage of that.

@ Alexus, I totally agree with you on the impatient ... it is like there is soo much sexual tension going on there that at times I'm like, come on and give me the make out session, lol (I have to blame KSH for this cause the boy is on fire with his scenes, love him) ...

I do hope that they don't drag out the Wol's memories too long, I really want her to remember soon so that the politic conflicts as well as love starts rolling ... I'm am so ready for it and of course, ready for tearjerkes (got my tissue ready every single time) ... Once the love conflicts starts again between the 2 brothers, I hope that it won't tear them apart (cause I sure don't want to see that grandma smirk or laughing the "I told you so" about brothers) if YM choose to fight for his love this time (which still breaks my heart knowing it isn't a win win case) cause I rather see the 2 bond together and fight the grandma over the whole political conflict since she is the cause to everything and mostly to YM suffering from the start (in my opinion) with her belief of 2 brother cannot co-exist together ... and all I can say from the return of YW is that this time, it'll give both brother the chance to undo what they couldn't in the first place and that was to protect her ...

One thing I do wonder is that when the father pass away, did he not left anything to YM? Because from the start, the "father issue" was one that grab me and wish it was explore more in terms of story (because I think it was obvious that the father being cold to YM was protect him from the grandma in some sense) so I really wish that YM could get closure with that "daddy issue" ... and not live his whole life with the belief that he did not get any love from his father.

Jung Il Woo- It's really not his fault but he's stuck playing the same roles which makes me really ignore him in a lot of dramas. He's almost always in a filler role. As in the drama doesn't need him but he's a decent addition. Plus, he's always playing the same playful character which is the worst thing for him when he's showing emotion. It never goes beyond the blank gaze, a few tears and a kind of looking around look. Not very believable.

You can praise your favourite actors as much as you want, but please don't drag other actors down. There are lots of people, including myself, only watch this drama because of JIW. He has acted as how his character has written and the PD wanted him to. Even he has had such limited screen time with not much to act in the script but his teary eyes with so much pain and suffer could still broken my heart. 

Guest old soul

I'm going to go out on a limb here and put my two cents in. This will all be just my personal take on things.

The same issues with second leads (be it male or female) in k-dramaland always get me. More often than not the second leads come out vengeful and miserable because they insist on a premise that if they love someone, that someone has to love them back. Realistically speaking that is not the way things work. Love (and if it is genuine love) is accorded without the need of reciprocation. If you love someone, you love them regardless if they love you back. But to force them to love you back is not love at all. This is the downfall of the second lead---by forcing one's love on another just proves that they are only thinking of themselves. They want the other person to love them back purely for their own happiness. They delude themselves into thinking that if they are chosen by that other person, it will be the better choice because they can love that person more and make that person happier. Really?? Seldom do I see second leads do the selfless thing and let go and allow their loved one to choose their true love regardless of the outcome. And in the rare instance that this happens in k-drama I usually applaud the writer because not everything in the world is black and white. It shouldn't always have to be good versus evil. There are always gray areas that we will come across at some point in our lives.

I say all this is because I'm hoping that the writer for this drama (although I'm such a big fan of the writing, directing, acting and the production) will make the second lead a better person. I hope Yang Myung will mature enough to realize that even at a very young age, Yeon Woo already made her choice on who she loved and wanted to love. Eight years later as Wol, she cryptically says the same thing to him as a shaman. Yang Myung has to let go, and it is in his letting go that he will truly find happiness.

I always make a point in looking at the glass as half full instead of half empty. Everyone keeps pointing out that Yang Myung is such an undeservedly miserable character. Aside from his father issues which I wish the former King had resolved before he died, I find that Yang Myung is luckier than Hwon is simply because he has his freedom. His mother obviously loves him dearly whereas I'm not even sure that Hwon's mom really loves her son, or she just cares for him as the King. I do not find the parent-child bond in Hwon and his mom which I saw in that one scene with Yang Myung and his mother. He has the love of his two friends and his brother, whereas Hwon approaches life with great caution because he is never sure on who to trust and who is really on his side. It sure is lonely at the top. Hwon's grandma just treats him as a means to an end. She just needs Hwon to sire an heir from her own bloodline. All her actions are dictated by this one desire. And sadly it seems that she also treated her own son (the former King) this way.

As to Yeon Woo's love I'm glad that they do not allow her character to waver. Even in a state of lost memory and confusion, she still obviously chooses Hwon. So if Yang Myung truly loved Yeon Woo as he says he does, he can only wish for her happiness. That happiness unfortunately for him lies with Hwon. But this happens even today. Let's all be honest that at some point we actually liked someone but that person may not have liked us back. But we move on, and hopefully we find that person who can love us as much as we love them, too.

I want Yang Myung to be the hero in this tragic love story. I want him to be the better man to protect Yeon Woo's love and to protect his brother Hwon as the King. There are already too many evil characters in this story. As for Bo Kyung I don't see her as loving Hwon. In fact there isn't even any basis for that love. She was raised to possess and covet things, and she was taught that it is in the possession of such things that she will be able to find her happiness. I blame her parents for raising her that way. I hope they redeem this character. She was never loved as a child so she will never know how to give love. She lives her life based on what she ought to have and does not have. She is such a pitiful person because I have not seen one single character in the drama that actually loves her for herself and not for her position. Her own downfall will be her greed.

Sorry for such a long post. I just love a drama that evokes so many varied responses from the viewers. Of course, I am also one of those that enjoy the sexual overtones previously discussed on this thread. I say, "Carry on, People!".

Guest ghettoe

You can praise your favourite actors as much as you want, but please don't drag other actors down. There are lots of people, including myself, only watch this drama because of JIW. He has acted as how his character has written and the PD wanted him to. Even he has had such limited screen time with not much to act in the script but his teary eyes with so much pain and suffer could still broken my heart. 

The thing is none of these people are my favorite actors. I came into this drama as a neutral and just from observations became a fan of certain actors. I do not hate Jung Il Woo and have tried three dramas with him. I do not hate him and I think it's fine that you are watching because of him. Unfortunately, I find that he tends to act the same roles which never really challenges him. I did say that it isn't really his fault it's just that he tends to get cast in these roles; as a result, his character tends to over lap a lot. I am not going to lie that I find his emotional scenes to be moving. I came to share my opinion and it just happens to be different from yours. That doesn't mean I shouldn't share it. Besides, just like there are some of you that love him, there are some of us that while we love him, we are willing to point out his flaws. Just because you're watching this drama for him doesn't mean he doesn't have some flaws. I even critique actors that I like. I mentioned previously, while I am blown away right now by Kim Soo Hyun, he had some very awkward moments with authority in the beginning, but fortunately, he is improving in that area. If you think constructive criticism is dragging a character down then I have no words there. It's not like I was judging him unfairly and mindlessly blabbering.