Shim Eun Kyung 심은경

Guest adikkeluangman

December 20, 2013
Press Conference Held for MISS GRANNYLatest Feature from SILENCED Director Hwang Dong-hyuk by Song Soon-jin KOBIZ
PSHHRbsQiUuoNefbnIJb.jpg

What if a 74 year-old foul-mouthed old lady returned as a young 20 year-old? A press conference for Miss Granny was held at the Apgujeong CGV theater, Seoul on December 16th. The third feature film of filmmaker HWANG Dong-hyuk, who directed My Father (2007)and Silenced (2011) attended the press conference of this family comedy, aiming for theatrical release during the Lunar New Year’s holiday, with NA Moon-hee of May 18 (2007) and Cruel Winter Blues (2006), SHIM Eun-kyoung of Sunny (2011) and Masquerade, and PARK In-hwan of Thirst (2009) and The Quiet Family (1998). Miss Granny deals with the story of Mal-soon, played by NA Moon-hee, who is transformed into a 20 year-old woman after finding out that her children are trying to admit her into a nursing home and visits a photo studio by chance. When no one seems to recognize her, she introduces herself as ‘OH Du-ri’ and becomes determined to enjoy her youth once again. The comedy in this film stems from the various situations that arise when a woman who speaks and acts like the elderly Mal-soon lives in the body of the young OH Du-ri. SHIM Eun-kyoung, who gave an outstanding performance as the foul-mouthed teenager in Sunny commented on her role in this film with pride, “I was a bit intimidated by the script when I first read it, but then I realized I had a grandmother-like quality in me. The way I spoke and walked in this film is just like I am most of the time.” Also adding, “This film is quite close to my heart as it is the first film for me to star in not as a child actor, but as full-fledged actress, SHIM Eun-kyoung”. NA Moon-hee also talked about her attachment to her role, “Miss Granny brought out a nature in me that has never been expressed before.” Director HWANG Dong-hyuk stated his satisfaction with the casting, “Although we followed the principle of star casting from the start, once the camera started rolling we discovered that the two actresses had much in common.”  In addition, he explained, “With My Father and Silenced, I always seemed to be making social films with dark subject matters, but in reality, I am a fun person. This time I really wanted to make a happy and light film.” Miss Granny’s theatrical release is scheduled for January 23rd, 2014.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 24, 2013
Shim Eun-kyung’s grandma body-swap comedy Suspicious Girl
by girlfriday dramabeans.com
Suspicious20.jpg
Man, I love a good body-swap movie. I hope this one is as funny as it looks. Here’s a look at the posters, trailer, and stills for Shim Eun-kyung’s new young-again body-swap comedy Suspicious Girl (also going by the English title Miss Granny), about a 74-year-old grandma who suddenly gets zapped back into her twentysomething body. It’s the opposite of Big and 13 Going on 30, or maybe the extreme version of 17 Again, magnified by a 50-year age gap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RGP8VXodigk

Na Moon-hee (King’s Family) stars as the foul-mouthed 74-year-old granny who one day discovers the disparaging news that her family intends to put her away in a senior care center. Sung Dong-il (Answer Me 1994) plays her son, and Kim Seul-gi (Flower Boy Next Door) and B1A4′s Jin-young are her misbehaving grandchildren. Upset by the news that she’s no longer wanted by her family, she wanders into town and comes upon a photo studio that promises to make you look fifty years younger. Granny gets all dolled up to take her funeral photo, and then comes out in the body of her actual twentysomething self (Shim Eun-kyung).
She eventually decides to live it up in her young hot bod while she has the chance, and ends up in a funny love square with three men: Lee Jin-wook (Nine) as a nice young man who finds her old-fashioned ways cute, Park In-hwan (One Well-Raised Daughter) as the neighbor gramps who’s sweet on Granny before the swap, and Jin-young as the grandson who develops an inappropriate crush on the pretty girl without realizing it’s his grandmother inside. Haha.
In the trailer, Granny tells Lee Jin-wook her life story, which sounds freaking hilarious coming out of Shim Eun-kyung: “It’s been a while since I parted ways with my deceased husband. My son’s all grown up and married now, and there’s a halbae who likes me and chases me around, so I stayed with him for a while, but I fought with his horrible daughter and got kicked out.” He asks what kind of man she likes, and she sighs, “A man just needs to not starve his wife and children, and be good at night.” HEE.
Suspicious Girl premieres January 23.
Suspicious1.jpg

December 30, 2013
[Rookies of 2014] Shim Eun-kyeong steps forward with ‘Miss Granny’
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

20131230001257_0.jpg
Actress Shim Eun-kyeong. (CJ Entertainment)
One of the most anticipated films in the first half of this year is “Miss Granny,” a fantasy film and a comedy about an old woman in her 70s who somehow regains her physical appearance from when she was 20 years old. 
Playing the role is former child actress Shim Eun-kyeong, whose acting career in the past couple of years saw some dramatic highs, including roles in some of the most successful Korean films. 
In 2011, the 19-year-old actress played Na-mi, a wacky teenager living in 1980s Korea in director Kang Hyeong-cheol’s hit drama film “Sunny.” 
The film became the first movie to attract 5 million viewers that year, and became the second-highest grossing Korean film of 2011, following director Kim Han-min’s period drama “War of the Arrows.” Director Kang described Shim as someone “who is already complete as an actress.”
In 2012, Shim played a young court servant who meets a tragic end in box office hit period drama “Masquerade.” 
In the film, top actor Lee Byung-hun played dual roles, as King Gwanghae, the 15th ruler of Joseon, as well as the fictional Ha-sun, a street actor who ends up standing in for the king when he is poisoned and falls ill. The film became the second-highest grossing film of the year. Though she didn’t play a leading role, Shim gave a memorable performance, especially in the scene where the character makes a very difficult decision to save her beloved, the endangered king.
Choo Chang-min, the director of “Masquerade,” is said to have sent the script of the film to the U.S. ― where Shim was staying at the time ― as he really wanted to cast her for the role. He was said to have been impressed by Shim’s previous performances. 
Shim started acting at the age of nine, and appeared in numerous TV drama series as a child actress. When she was 12, Shim made a memorable appearance as the young Hwang Jin-yi in the eponymous TV drama series on the life of the famous 16th century Joseon courtesan and artist. 
The upcoming comedy is Shim’s first leading role, after receiving much recognition for her supporting performances. She is known for her ability to pull off characters that present unique challenges. For example, Na-mi, the dorky teenager in “Sunny,” spoke in a Jeolla Province dialect with a very heavy accent. She was particularly praised for her delivery of curse words in the movie, in a way that was both natural and memorable. In “Miss Granny,” she is to play an old woman somehow trapped in a young body. 
Director Hwang Dong-hyeok, who directed “Miss Granny,” said Shim was an actress who can pull off “any movie of any genre.”
“It’s hard to believe she is only 19, considering how well she delivers all kinds of emotions,” he said. 

Shim Eun-kyung in "Miss Granny"

PYH2014010700400031500_P2.jpg

Actress Shim Eun-kyung attends an event in Seoul on Jan. 6, 2014 to promote "Miss Granny," the story of a 74-year-old woman who regains the physical appearance of a woman in her 20s. (Yonhap) (END)

January 7, 2014
[Herald Review] Grandma relives youth in ‘Miss Granny’In spite of actress Shim Eun-kyeong’s impressive performance, Hwang Dong-hyuk’s latest
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

20140107000426_0.jpg
A scene from “Miss Granny.” (CJ Entertainment)
Filmmaker Hwang Dong-hyuk’s latest protagonist Oh Mal-soon (played by veteran actress Na Moon-hee) is the kind of old woman whom you don’t want to have as your mother-in-law.
She is shameless and controlling, complains about your food, and is not afraid to belittle you in front of your children. Mal-soon’s biggest pride is her son, who is a university professor, and that she managed to raise him by herself, against all odds. 
The real story of the film, “Miss Granny,” begins with Mal-soon suddenly recovering her physical appearance of her 20s. Mal-soon renames herself Oh Du-ri (played impeccably by young actress Shim Eun-kyeong) after her all-time favorite actress Audrey Hepburn, and pursues a career in music ― something she had to give up when she was young. Although the fantasy comedy starts off with layered characters with real family and aging problems, Hwang only manages to create another conventional Korean tale about a sacrificing mother and her unconditional love.
Though Mal-soon sacrificed her “everything” ― including her personal happiness and most importantly, her “youth” ― for her son and his success, the film fails to deal with her problems in the present day. 
Mal-soon is in fact a highly flawed character. Her defect is revealed early in the film when she betrays those who helped her in her earlier years, with the sole purpose of better supporting her son. She is also the main reason her clearly depressed, puffy-eyed daughter-in-law’s health suddenly worsens. 
Before she regains her youth at a mysterious photo studio, Mal-soon was scheduled to be sent to a nursing home, as doctors strongly advised that her daughter-in-law needs to live away from her. In this movie, the daughter-in-law’s sufferings are undoubtedly realistic; she is constantly controlled and railed at by her mother-in-law, who rationalizes everything she does, including her betrayal in the past, in the name of her love for her son.
Du-ri is a younger, and arguably a much more pleasant version of Mal-soon, who still speaks with a regional accent and walks like an old lady. For most people, Du-ri acts very strangely and motherly for her age ― this is the main entertainment of the film ― but they find it amusing at the same time. And Du-ri sings very well. She joins a band led by her struggling teenage grandson, who does not recognize her, of course, and the group becomes famous. The rest of the movie is dedicated to showing what Mal-soon could’ve done and enjoyed if she didn’t give up her dream in order to raise her child. Everything Du-ri is capable of doing ― her musical talent and her physical beauty ― is what Mal-soon gradually lost while bringing up her son. 
This film was created based on an assumption that a woman’s most beautiful days are during their 20s, and praises Mal-soon’s youth ― which only exists in her past. And Mal-soon’s sacrifice of her youth ― and physical beauty ― for the sake of her child, is highlighted to elicit gratitude from the audience in the end. It’s the conventional Korean rhetoric: “Your mother did all these things for you.”
The problem is, such a notion of “gratitude” prevents director Hwang from solving Mal-soon’s initial conflicts with her daughter-in-law, as well as those she betrayed in the past. The question is, Can all mothers’ deeds, whether ethical or not, be rationalized if they did them for their children? 
The movie had its chance to answer, but chose not to. The result is another feel-good family movie that again praises a mother’s love and sacrifice. 
A CJ Entertainment release, “Miss Granny” opens in theaters on Jan. 22. 

Source: The Korea Herald
January 10, 2014
Miss Granny 
20140110000897_0.jpg
Opening Jan. 22
Comedy. Drama. Directed by Hwang Dong-hyuk. Oh Mal-soon (Na Moon-hee), a 70-something grandmother, lives with her son and his family. She is controlling and shameless, and has a difficult relationship with her depressed daughter-in-law. She is proud of her son, who is a university professor, and that she managed to raise him by herself against all odds. One day, Mal-soon’s daughter-in-law gets hospitalized after suddenly collapsing, and doctors strongly advise that she live away from Mal-soon. On the day she is told by her son that she is being sent to a nursing home, Mal-soon suddenly recovers her physical appearance of her 20s, after visiting a mysterious photo studio. 

January 11, 2014
[HanCinema's Film Review] "Miss Granny"
Review by William Schwartz via Hancinema.net

2014010601000525800029791.jpg

What really sells "Miss Granny" is the sincerity of its dual performances. Nah Moon-hee and Sim Eun-kyeong both play Mal-Soon, a crabby old woman who randomly lucks into the gift of a twenty-year old body. Even though the main explicit character trait of Mal-Soon is that she has a smart mouth and doesn't care what other people say about her, Nah Moon-hee does not play an unconditionally bitter, mean old woman. She has doubts and regrets- and is coming off a fairly complicated emotional state when the movie's actual plot starts up.
And as far as the younger self goes, Sim Eun-kyeong does excellent work replicating Nah Moon-hee's aloof yet upfront attitude. One thing I loved about her in the immediate sense is the woman's sense of style and body language. Mal-Soon has an unabashed love of Audrey Hepburn- I mean, duh, she's old and that's who was glamorous back when Mal-Soon was an actual twenty-year-old. So when the time comes for Mal-Soon to get fashionable, that's the style she apes.
Now, obviously, the transition isn't a perfect one, given that most clothing stores don't carry fashion from several decades ago. But the close approximation we come up with is a striking one. Not only does Sim Eun-kyeong sell the sheer glee of being an older woman finally able to wear those beautiful clothes she always wanted, the costume department clearly knew what they were doing in trying to blend vintage style with modern raw materials.
The music similarly exists on a strong note, marking a bridge between old and modern. "Miss Granny" sets the stage for this excellently by giving us good examples on what kind of music we're not going to create. Good laughs are to be had from the movie's fake bands and singers, who have very specific and absurd ideas about how to succeed in the modern competitive music marketplace. It's quite believable that Mal-Soon, as an old person in a young body, is the only one who really gets how this fusion is supposed to work.
The comedy throughout is of good quality. While the scale is obviously tilted toward person in young body does things only old people are supposed to do, Sim Eun-kyeong does an excellent job delivering on this humor by just getting so into character. For the most part Mal-Soon only gets confused on this stuff when she's really excited and living too much in the moment. This synchs up really well with the energetic performance we get from Sim Eun-kyeong. And it's thanks to the extended time we get to spend with Nah Moon-hee as the actual old woman that the viewer is well primed for her sense of vivacity.
"Miss Granny" still has plenty of weaknesses. A romantic storyline pretty much goes nowhere while the final act and ending move on a fairly predictable trajectory. But none of this really detracts from how effective the movie is in the moment. "Miss Granny" bills itself as the hypothetical of what an old person would do granted the amazing gift of their youthful body. In everything a person could reasonably expect from a comedy along these lines, the movie acquits itself quite well.
Review by William Schwartz
"Miss Granny" is directed by Hwang Dong-hyeok and features Sim Eun-kyeong and Nah Moon-hee

January 13, 2014
Actress Shim Eun-kyung
PYH2014011305650031500_P2.jpg

Shim Eun-kyung, who stars in the new comedy "Miss Granny," poses prior to her interview at a Seoul cafe on Jan. 13, 2014. The film, which is a story about a 70-year-old grandmother suddenly turning into a girl in her 20s, will be released on Jan. 22. (Yonhap) (END)

Thanks to the highlight at LBH DC
Producer of Masquerade tweeted about actress Shim Eun Kyung (Sawool-yi).. saying that actors Lee Byung Hun and Ryu Seung Ryong were really glad when Shim was cast for Masquerade and also about her new project called "Miss Granny."
3529882888_a8109014.jpg

January 16, 2014
SHIM EUN KYUNG COVERS CINE 21′S NO. 938
Source: Couch Kimchi
On January 22nd, the comedy Miss Granny will have its Korean theatrical release, and its star, Shim Eun Kyung, channels the quirky charm and fun retro style of her character for No. 938 of Cine21.
Check it!
004.jpg
3_zps5684d546.jpg~original
4_zps1050644c.jpg~original
2_zpsec353c9c.jpg~original
1_zps69cf6d14.jpg~original
5_zps801353be.jpg~original
Source  |  Cine21

January 21, 2014
SHIM EUN KYUNG FOR VOGUE GIRL KOREA’S FEBRUARY 2014 EDITIONhttp://couch-kimchi.com/2014/01/21/shim-eun-kyung-for-vogue-girl-koreas-february-2014-edition/

Shim Eun Kyung continues to drum up PR for her movie Miss Granny, as she graces the February pages of Vogue Girl Korea.
She is a young and accomplished actress, but in these spreads, she opens our eyes to her growth as a more mature and attractive woman.
1_zpsc7f1f7d2.jpg~original
2_zps4b5b6965.jpg~original
Source  |  TV Daily

hi everyone ,i'm new member  My name is ca3soc which is named a fish .another poster of Miss GrannyBdQmtBfCIAAGurc.jpg:large

She 's so lovely actress BeQSUt7CIAQuGZ3.jpg:large

BdnqS5aCUAAcxCB.jpg:large
source https://twitter.com/flowerhalmae

January 20, 2014
In Focus: Miss Granny
by Pierce Conran KOFIC
ms-granny_1.jpg

Directed by HWANG Dong-hyukStarring SHIM Eun-kyoung, NA Moon-hee, PARK In-hwan, JANG Kwang, LEE Jin-wookRelease Date January 23, 2014 Lunar New Year (Selloal), one of Korea’s two major holidays along with Thanksgiving (Chuseok), is a time when Koreans travel to visit their families and along with the various festivities that take place at home, the three-day holiday is also a good opportunity to attract large groups to theaters. Over the last few years the Korean film industry has become increasingly adept at programming fare designed for families and this year is no different as four major films will be shuffling into theaters. CJ Entertainment will be presenting Miss Granny, a high concept family comedy with a little something for everyone. The 74-year-old Mal-sun lives with her daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren but her stubborn behavior has begun to takes its toll on her family. One evening as she strolls on the street she happens upon a photo shop and decides to get a portrait taken. When Mal-sun rides the bus afterwards, she attracts some unusual attention and after catching her reflection she is shocked to discover that she has magically transformed into her 20-year-old self. Not knowing what to do she decides to hide from her family and soon ends up lodging with her café shop co-worker. After wowing a group of pensioners with a stirring karaoke tune she attracts the notice of her grandson and a music competition show producer. Her grandson invites her to join his band while the producer does his best to track her down again.

ms-granny_2.jpg

Young star SHIM Eun-kyoung, who featured in the 2011 ensemble hit Sunny, shines here as she acts like a curmudgeonly old Korean woman. The film may be fantastical and at times contrived, but by relying on her engaging performance Miss Granny has no trouble staying on track. Playing the granny before her transformation is the veteran NA Moon-hee, a prolific performer in movies and television who has made a name for herself with her instantly recognizable blend of sharp delivery and warm expressions. Though a significant departure from his previous film, the incendiary courtroom drama Silenced (2011), director HWANG Dong-hyuk has no trouble balancing the various elements in this 124-minute film, which stretch from comedy and family drama, to music and romance. The film is also careful to keep things interesting for both younger and older viewers The universal nature of the comedy and SHIM’s endearing performance make this a breezy ride even for those less familiar with Korea’s social ticks. An ideal confection for family crowds, Miss Granny is the ideal Lunar New Year offering. By Pierce Conran

Archived