Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ngthuhien149

AGB Rating for Ep 1:

Nation: 13.2

Seoul: 14.6

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS OMG OMG OMG

Keep it up, Miss Ripley! :wub:

Guest laridum

A lot of controversy also about the sexual nature of the show. No offense, it is shown at 9:50 at night, why even have your kids around? It's about a former prostitute, what do you expect? Although, a lot of the complaints have to do with the "unfaithful" scene in the drama.

I think it's just a South Korean government thing. You'll have noticed the frame at the beginning of every drama - that's a 15+ warning. Every drama has it, from East of Eden to You're Beautiful. No matter how PG/U it is, it'll have that warning. This is probably the only drama I can think of that deals with (from what I can see) sexual abuse/harassment and prostitution as themes so it's not really a surprise that the THINK OF THE CHILDREN! crowd are disgruntled. They'll be like, "but what about Yoochun's young fans!!" soon enough.

Guest boraah

If you watch the prologue, you can see that both male leads state that LDH is the one they once loved. This can only cause for people to assume that LDH won't have a happy ending.

AGB Rating for Ep 1:

Nation: 13.2

Seoul: 14.6

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS OMG OMG OMG

Keep it up, Miss Ripley! :wub:

SO 12% was TNS :o

OH YES!

ALL my fellow chunsas, LDH/KHJ/KSW fans *GROUPHUG*

Kyaaaaaaaaaah!

Come on Viki team

i'm itching to watch this

Guest ngthuhien149

TNS Rating for Ep1:

Nation: 11.3

Seoul: 14.3

KICK OF REALLY WELL MISS RIPLEY :wub:

GUESS WHAT? We are NO 1 AMONG 3 DRAMAS

1st ep: I have nothing much to say and I haven't watched it with sub but I can tell Lee Da Hae is gorgeous and amazing. Kim ajjushii delivered his scenes so well too. Great acting.

Kang Hye Jung did not appear much in the 1st ep but I like her character. She is the typical main lead in KRomcom. Really really cute!

Tbh, I facepalmed a lot at those scenes Yutaka chasing after girl and getting rejected because I have not gotten used to someone having Yoochun's face and doing things like that (Yoochun is so different in real life xD). I know Miri's eye are the same as his real bio mom's eyes but aigooo look at him, so dazed when he sees her :sweatingbullets: Nothing to say about his acting since ppl will find me bias. I think he is natural.

GREAT GREAT START

[NEWS] Ripley’s First Episode Has Speed, Solid Acting and Storyline; Gathers Praise

Posted on May 30, 2011 by jyj3

This post combines three news articles to provide a comprehensive post on the first episode of Ripley.

Ripley Lee Dahae, Kim Seungwoo, Park Yoochun’s First Meeting; The Beginning of the Lie

30164229.jpg

The two men who loved Zhang Miri who behind a bright smile has a hidden sadness, Zhang Myunghyun and Song Yoohyun. The first broadcast began with a narration by the two men, saying that “I really loved her.”

Zhang Miri experienced the life of a bottomless pit thanks to her Japanese step parents. In order to escape this she worked as a hostess in a alcohol-serving facility and gathered money with all her might. She makes up her mind to go back to Korea and find her mother and pushes through to escape. Although she succeeded in returning to Korea after paying off the gambling debt of her stepfather, because she did not have any economic comfort she had to live in a Goshiwon (T/N: typically small and austere facility for students and others looking to save money) while working part time in a restaurant. Zhang Miri who arrives in Korea after many incidents tears up due to many emotions inside of her.

At the time that Zhang Miri visited the Goshiwon, Song Yoohyun was unpacking. He is the successor to Japan’s Mondo Resort and has returned from Japan. Despite this he wished to experience the life of the common man and volunteered to live in a Goshiwon.

On this day Song Yoohyun spilled a plate of food on Zhang Miri’s clothes and the two’s meeting began. Unlike Zhang Miri who showed off her displeasure fully on her face Song Yoohyun fell for her upon first sight, and expressed his liking enthusiastically.

However, Zhang Miri did not even respond to his words and disappeared into her room. Even after this she acted cold to Song Yoohyun who said bright hellos to her.

After this she puts in applications to companies in order to live a proper life but her situation that does not have parents, siblings, or a house and her educational background of only having graduated from high school only gives her insults and makes her turn spiteful.

At this time, she comes into the attention of Zhang Myunghwan for the one reason that she knows how to use a strong regional dialect of Japan and comes to have being hired in the hotel in front of her eyes. However, Miri thinks that this time also her educational background of having graduated only from high school may be reason that she is not hired. Therefore she lets out by chance the lie that she is a graduate of Tokyo University, which is Japan’s premiere university. She is then chosen by Myunghwan.

In doing so Miri not only met the two men who will change her life from now on, but also fell into the pit of lies that will eventually lead to her destruction, and announced the proceeding of the fateful drama.

The viewers praised: “I could not take my eyes off due to the speed of the story,” “One can feel that the storyline is solid,” and “Talented actors such as Lee Dahae, Park Yoochun Kim Seungwoo, and Kang Hyejung maximizes the fun of the drama.”

phSource: TVReport, TVReport, TVDaily

Translation Credit: JYJ3

Thanks all for the links and updates.

ooooh my what an emotional episode tears.giftears.gif

I have watched it without subs but I am already connected to all the characters there. Really a big applause to the fantastic cast. I loved every one from our main 4 leads to the supporting cast and the child actress, they all are really great.

I love the story and the directing too, I loved how they began the episode with the narration of the 2 male leads talking about their love to Miri and how they pictured her playing with children and then that fantastic scene of her with tearful eyes smiling and then with sad expression, really well done and great start for the episode. And also how they give us the lie at the end of the episode giving us a lot to wait for in today's episode.

And YAAAY what a great start of the rating and also number 1 :w00t: . Congratulation for our cast LDH-Yuchun-KSW-KHJ, you really deserved it and more. I hope the ratings keeps raising as you wished and as we all do :wub: :wub:

i_d_h_i, Group HUG BACK :wub: :wub:

Samzz, may be those BTS pictures of LDH are from a concert of X-5 group who will appear in the drama (Just guessing). Here is the news:http://oneasiaa.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/update-5dolls-soomi-and-x-5-cast-in-ripley/

Some translated news:

"Ripley" Lee Da-hae's unfortunate past

photo173682.jpg

Drama "Miss Ripley" reveals the unfortunate past of the lead character Jang Mi-ri (Lee Da-hae).

MBC TV new drama "Miss Ripley" was first broadcasted on the 30th.

Main characters in the drama Jang Mi-ri, Song Yoo-hyeon (Micky Yuchun), Jang Myeong-hwan (Kim Seung-woo) and others were introduced as well as Mi-ri's unfortunate past.

Deep inside her heart, she had the pain of being left alone by her mother. Due to the poor living conditions of her family, she had left the house before Mi-ri finished elementary school. She cried and held on to the hem of her mother's skirt but she was thrown to the side and even her father passed away soon and Mi-ri had to stay in an orphanage.

It was a continuous relay of hardship for Mi-ri in the orphanage. Young but full of self esteem, she fought with the teachers and friends who looked down on her and spent every night in tears.

Later, she was adopted to Japan and became a hostess, drinking alcohol she couldn't even drink and tenaciously saved her money. The only reason was to stop living a life like this and the drama started with her flying to Seoul.

Source : http://news.nate.com/view/20110530n29793 ( Korean )

Credit : Hancinema

"Ripley" first broadcast 13.2% in first place

photo173739.jpg

MBC drama "Miss. Ripley' has ranked first place out of all Monday and Tuesday dramas, showing a good start.

According to AGB Nielsen Media Research on the 30th, "Miss. Ripley" rated 13.2% and exceeded KBS "Babyfaced Beauty" which rated 11%.

The fast spread of the story and Lee Da-hae's transformation made viewers look forward to the future spread. In the drama Lee Da-hae lives as a hostess in Japan and flies to Korea. She gets to lie that she is a Tokyo University student preparing for employment in Korea and this lie foresaw tragedy.

Meanwhile, SBS "Lie to Me" rated 10.6% and the last of dramas at this time.

Source : http://news.nate.com/view/20110531n03209?mid=e0101 ( Korean )

Credit: Hancinema

Guest Dangermousie

I really adored the first ep - to say I am blown away would be an understatement. The dark, seedy, desperate world and characters draw me in irresistibly. I cannot say whether this will be my favorite drama of the season but if it keeps up, it will certainly be the best in quality. It's as if Bad Guy and Something Happened in Bali mated and had a baby and that baby was amazing.

There is so much to talk about even in the first episode, but I want to blabber about Jang Miri. It is really a role of a lifetime and Lee Da Hae bites into it with all the fierceness she possesses. Gone is the benevolent schemer of My Girl or the calm, dignified upperclass lady of Chuno. Miri is a hunted, haunted, hardened thing - I both feel great pity for her and am terrified of what she will do to survive in her "me against the world" mode. On the surface this can be viewed as another noirish drama with a dark protagonist, but while those occasionally exist in kdrama they almost never put a woman in this position. Kdrama heroes may be screwed up but kdrama heroines are almost always angels - damaged angels, childish angels, or womanly angels - but they are almost always the pure and sane ones. Yet here Miri is the heart of darkness of the story - the damaged scheming one, who brings about a downfall of other characters who love her too much. I love it.

In another reversal, it is the man he eventually will find love with who is the pure-hearted one, the naive one, the 'do-gooder.' I loved what I have seen of Yoochun so far - the role is miles different from his stern Lee Sun Joon in SKKS but somehow he manages portray shining goodness yet again. I know very little of Yutaka yet, but I am dying to know more. I loved their first meeting especially. He's smitten with her at first sight. And seeing that the woman in question is Lee Da Hae, who can blame him? Of course, she's all sharp corners and he's such an adorable puppy who is puzzled by her bristling. (And no wonder - Miri's past involves being a street-walker to pay off a mob debt! No wonder she's allergic to men.) I have to say, Yoochun and LDH have a gorgeous gorgeous chemistry together. When I first thought of that casting I found it a bit odd, but it 100% works.

Ah yes, if we are talking about the men who will love Miri, we cannot forget KSW's character. I find it interesting - the concept of masks the drama is going with. Because yes, this is most directly attributable to Miri, with her chameleon faces, but both our leading men are not really who they seem either - KSW's calmness and dispassionate demeanor is a mask but it's clear that Yutaka's kindness also masks some inner damage. I cannot wait to find out all their secrets! Clearly, Myung Hoon's ambition turned his personal life into a mess and I want to see his emotions come alive.

ETA: OMG, the rating! Congratulations, Miss Ripley cast and crew! Yay!

Guest imogene_af

Wow. Fantastic ratings. Very psyched for them.

So watched the first episode... exceeded my expectations. I actually thought this was going to be an over-the-top-makjang with an all out vile protagonist, but it did not entirely look like so. I feel like... the drama wants us to understand and well, even love such a woman like their Miss Ripley. I remember back when The Talented Mr. Ripley came out there was a lot of debate that even though Matt Damon's character was considered such an amoral character...a sociapath--- there was a struggle with the audience because they sympathized and understood him. I think I will have the same problem with this Miss Ripley. I think this drama is pulling the audience to have their own love affair with such a dangerous woman.

Will You Love Her: A Review on Miss Ripley

by: imogene_af

250175_615168585385_32403935_33748677_128892_n.jpg

The drama opens in a rather bright and peachy atmosphere. Jang Miri (Lee Da Hae) plays with a bunch of kids in an orphanage. The sun crawls to her skin, her laughter echoing with an innocent tune. Her hair curtains over and reveals her infectious smile. This was a carefree woman, beaming with warmth, beauty, and happiness.

250265_615168600355_32403935_33748678_8128197_n.jpg

252575_615168620315_32403935_33748679_417111_n.jpg

250124_615168660235_32403935_33748681_1478766_n.jpg

Slowly, we see Yutaka (Park Yoo Chun) walking in that park, he reminisces of a great love he once had. He talks about her with passion flowing in his deep voice. He longs for this lover he talks about.

And the scenes seamlessly juxtapose between a sad Yutaka and glimpses of Miri running away from the camera.

Later we pan on to another man. He looks over a bleak cityscape, he looks haggard almost worn out. Jang Myung Hoon (Kim Seung Woo) also shares of a past love he once had. Again, we see Miri running in the fields like a child in the first day of summer.

Then roaring dark orange clouds start rolling into the screen (brilliant cinematography, ohmygahd)... and we see Miri watching the clouds go by. But now, her eyes were filled with tears. Her lips sprawled into a sad smile.

252970_615168670215_32403935_33748682_6774016_n.jpg

253164_615168700155_32403935_33748684_6234244_n.jpg

250485_615168680195_32403935_33748683_4594050_n.jpg

Yutaka is seen in a car, almost like watching her, but we are not quite sure.... slowly... Miri faces us... and she smiles... for real, this time.

and you know a triangle is set. There is something very Virgin Suicides in this opening, a melancholic view... a sweet seduction to an incoming disaster.

The next scenes are the introduction to our main character, our Ripley... Jang Miri. She is a popular bar hostess in the seedy parts of Japan. We see a different girl from the one filled with life awhile ago. Now she is an empty shell. Her eyes tired and blank. She wears a blond wig and tacky pink nailpolish. She seems to know her routine... she drowns herself with shots, pukes all over, and takes money from her regular groping customers. She also is always in a constant conflict with her sleazy pimp/mentor (played brilliantly by Kim Jung Tae).

253050_615168735085_32403935_33748686_6690197_n.jpg

250204_615168784985_32403935_33748689_3249488_n.jpg

It is very easy to say that Miri is disgusted and tired of her life in the brothel. So when her pimp finally gives her a passport to leave town, she escapes with a vengeance and this is where her story begins.

Miri is a hard character to play and root for. She is not someone you could find relate-able. Some people may feel forced with her tragic narrative. Jang Miri had a hard life, a dead father and a mother who abandoned her. Trying to survive in the brothels... safe to say, it is not your typical heroine kind of struggle.

But what makes Miri for me is not her sob story at all. It is her warring paths within.

It is the fire and fight in her. This is a woman who will fight TOOTH and NAIL against life.

253094_615168804945_32403935_33748690_726973_n.jpg

Yet, she also has a very child-like bewildered side to her. She is street smart but she treads on fear all the time. She often is like a lost kid still trying to figure things out (airport scene shows this very well). In one scene where her pimp catches up on her in a train ride, she had this anguish and fear in her eyes, and something ignites in her... and her eyes started to blaze through.

It is these slight switches that make Miri work, and Lee Da Hae does it so with this RAW performance. I will admit, I like Lee Da Hae but after watching much of her works in recent years, I can pretty much predict her acting styles and attacks in certain scenes...

and there is NONE of that in Ripley. She strips away all of her known habits in this and sort of builds up this drag-you-to-hell and-back-persona with Miri.

Lee Da Hae not only immerses herself in this role but completely DROWNS herself both in the sweetness and toxicity of a character like Jang Miri. She makes us believe that she can be a sexpot one minute and then turn into someone relating to a kid in a train, in the next.

She is as effective when she is erratic but just as powerful when she is quiet and nuanced. There is a reason she is getting good reviews in this.

The crucial thing about Jang Miri is she has to make us fall in love with her... forget sympathy... we just have to feel her anger, her moments of happiness, her torment, her fear, her disgust, and her desperation. And she does this to a tee.

She does not just breathe life into Miri, she makes us believe that she is living it. So much so it is easy to build empathy with such a character. And empathy is different from pity. Miri does not want to be pitied and you feel that as an audience, but as I said it is not her sob story that is her draw... it is her dangerous tread into vulnerability and fiery fight that makes the character. It is dangerous as it is seductive. Which makes her a perfect (anti)heroine.

Now Lee Da Hae's challenge is to keep this pace. If Episode 1 is an indication then we will be in for an epic performance.

Now on, Jang Miri's escape to Korea... she is brought upon a lot of obstacles. She has no money (notice how she wears the same clothing in each of her interview?), has to work odd jobs, her pimp is still looking for her, and she cannot even get a decent job as a receptionist because of her academic background.

In her new journey, she meets two men who will of course change the course of her life.

First is Yutaka, a half Japanese and half Korean chaebol who only longs for a simple life. Our first scene with him is he sits in a plane and sort of paces himself. He takes a deep breath as he slowly walks out, and wears a ready smile. Yutaka is written as an innately good natured guy. He is ready with his helping hand in any given moment. He is honest enough to return a lost wallet. He does not mind staying in a run down cheap inn despite his real persona.

252334_615168919715_32403935_33748697_2939932_n.jpg

He reminds me of James McAvoy's Robbie character in "Atonement" who is written almost saintly. And it is not a writing flaw, it is just shown that he is a plain young man who is innately a GOOD guy. Actors usually would want to play complex romantic bad boys, but I feel this is harder to portray because it is harder to make us feel that sincerity.

I had my doubts about popstar Park Yoochun standing along heavyweights--- but he is tailormade for this role. He possesses an earthy screen charisma that one can easily relate to. He is refreshing and there is something genuine about him. If an actor can make you believe he is sincere then he must be doing something right.

252321_615168899755_32403935_33748696_2663358_n.jpg

250949_615168954645_32403935_33748699_238804_n.jpg

250426_615168939675_32403935_33748698_8157724_n.jpg

Now, Yutaka is instantly smitten with Miri. They had quite a clumsy encounter, but he was drawn to her instantly. Miri has some semblance to his dead mother so he was quickly drawn to this enigma. He is like an innocent little boy with a crush around her. He is a bundle of nervous energy around her. My favorite scene was when he waits for her to smile in the convenience store. When he saw her smile for the first time, he was like a little boy who just saw a shooting star. It made my giddy fangirl heart flutter.

253899_615168994565_32403935_33748702_3143291_n.jpg

246624_615169014525_32403935_33748703_448089_n.jpg

Miri is repellent when it comes to Yutaka's advances. we must think she is insane, but we must understand where she may be coming from. Miri probably thinks Yutaka is just any horny student who may just want her for her youknowwhat. Miri is used to the fact that men use her for her sex appeal. And any reminder of that disgusts her... as we did see in her rampage later on in this episode.

But I just want to shake her because his contrast, his warmth is perfect for someone like her who has had such a cold and dark life. The nervous tension around each other is very effective. The chemistry is not hot-palpable yet, but it is there... and I am waiting for the development. I just hope there is no faux incest around here... God.No.

Then Miri meets another man, Myung Hoon. Now let me just start that Kim Seung Woo is an amazing actor, I will always give him that. But I can imagine how hard this character may be to play. This character is built like a machine. He has no emotion. He solves problems methodically. He is perfect for a business setting because he sets his MIND into it, his mind... never his heart.

252592_615169054445_32403935_33748705_294266_n.jpg

When he catches his wife cheating on him, he could not grasp into any emotion. It was as if he was helpless to even hold on to anger. It is a problem that he cannot solve logically and because of that he froze up.

Which is a total, big, large, immense, damn contrast from Miri who is brimming with emotions... overflowing, even. When she is happy we see beams of it in her eyes, when she is sad her tears flow like a child tugging at our hearts, and when she is mad? We feel her wrath breathing on to the backs of our necks.

250251_615169074405_32403935_33748706_5892132_n.jpg

I find it the HARDEST to relate to Myung Hoon's character. I want to frantically scream into my screen with, "COME ON! GET MAD! OR SOMETHING! MYLAWD!"

But his mind was taken, he has to close the deal with a rich resort owner, who happens to be Yutaka's mother. His mind was preoccupied, and just as he was driving away... he did not notice a woman trying to cross the street.

And now it was that fateful collision that will bring him to our protagonist, Miri. Miri had a tumultuous day, so she lied. And it was her first lie in the drama... there was something sinfully exhilarating about it. Like a sudden surge of excitement that the story is about to begin and this lie will seal her ultimate path later on.

248113_615169104345_32403935_33748708_4193827_n.jpg

Kang Hye Jung had probably a minute of screentime in this episode, so I did not get to devour her performance but her presence was memorable. She is so far the only cheerful character in all this (I don't think Yutaka is, he just sort of paces himself to be like that), so it would be interesting to see how she will get into the mix.

Miss Ripley is a solid drama, which is edited at a fast pace, well-shot, directed with the right mix of danger and sentimentality. It is well acted as it is well written for a set up episode. Most of my problem has to do with the saturation of boo-hoo music but anything other than that... this is a strong first episode. I will look forward to this drama. This drama has the feel of its (anti)heroine who will have you take the plunge with her, her character reminiscent of Lux Lisbon from the Virgin Suicides or April Wheeler from the Revolutionary Road with their beautiful disaster pulsating into you.

255057_615168755045_32403935_33748687_3780877_n.jpg

And yes... I think I can love Miss Ripley.

Thank you sooo much imogene for the great review, I missed your reviews a lot and I am happy to read one again. :wub:

Dangermousie, love your post and I have been reading all your posts on your blog. :wub: :wub:

Guest imogene_af

I really adored the first ep - to say I am blown away would be an understatement. The dark, seedy, desperate world and characters draw me in irresistibly. I cannot say whether this will be my favorite drama of the season but if it keeps up, it will certainly be the best in quality. It's as if Bad Guy and Something Happened in Bali mated and had a baby and that baby was amazing.

There is so much to talk about even in the first episode, but I want to blabber about Jang Miri. It is really a role of a lifetime and Lee Da Hae bites into it with all the fierceness she possesses. Gone is the benevolent schemer of My Girl or the calm, dignified upperclass lady of Chuno. Miri is a hunted, haunted, hardened thing - I both feel great pity for her and am terrified of what she will do to survive in her "me against the world" mode. On the surface this can be viewed as another noirish drama with a dark protagonist, but while those occasionally exist in kdrama they almost never put a woman in this position. Kdrama heroes may be screwed up but kdrama heroines are almost always angels - damaged angels, childish angels, or womanly angels - but they are almost always the pure and sane ones. Yet here Miri is the heart of darkness of the story - the damaged scheming one, who brings about a downfall of other characters who love her too much. I love it.

In another reversal, it is the man he eventually will find love with who is the pure-hearted one, the naive one, the 'do-gooder.' I loved what I have seen of Yoochun so far - the role is miles different from his stern Lee Sun Joon in SKKS but somehow he manages portray shining goodness yet again. I know very little of Yutaka yet, but I am dying to know more. I loved their first meeting especially. He's smitten with her at first sight. And seeing that the woman in question is Lee Da Hae, who can blame him? Of course, she's all sharp corners and he's such an adorable puppy who is puzzled by her bristling. (And no wonder - Miri's past involves being a street-walker to pay off a mob debt! No wonder she's allergic to men.) I have to say, Yoochun and LDH have a gorgeous gorgeous chemistry together. When I first thought of that casting I found it a bit odd, but it 100% works.

Ah yes, if we are talking about the men who will love Miri, we cannot forget KSW's character. I find it interesting - the concept of masks the drama is going with. Because yes, this is most directly attributable to Miri, with her chameleon faces, but both our leading men are not really who they seem either - KSW's calmness and dispassionate demeanor is a mask but it's clear that Yutaka's kindness also masks some inner damage. I cannot wait to find out all their secrets! Clearly, Myung Hoon's ambition turned his personal life into a mess and I want to see his emotions come alive.

ETA: OMG, the rating! Congratulations, Miss Ripley cast and crew! Yay!

Ohdang she's back. Yes, completely agree with your analysis here. I have never seen Lee Da Hae give it her all like this. She really bites into it and just gets lost in the role, it is truly a ballsy career decision to take. I was actually "shocked" at how disturbing some of her scenes were, and just the way she portrays her anguish makes it even more raw. BALLSY,man. I bet a lot of actresses would think this role is a risk. I think it's worth the risk.

Also agreed on Myung Hoon and Yutaka wearing their own sets of masks. I hope I can see through Myung Hoon soon because I find it REALLY hard to relate to him.

And yes... Yutaka and Miri... I don't care how tragic they will be... they're my OTP. When he watched her smile...I think something in me just lit up like crazy. Ugh.

So nice seeing you post again! hee! will visit your blog, stat!

apqaria- thanks. been a while since i was last compelled to write... let alone review something but that episode was like ... such a dive into emotions. I just needed to say something about it. Thank you for reading hehe

Guest ngthuhien149

Thank you so much imogene for the review.

Such a great post. I am smitten by your writing and how u delivered your thought. It is so good to read sth like this :wub: \

Thank you Dangermousie good to see you here and I love your thought about the episode.

LDH sure gets a lot of great fans with her :D

I have just watched the 1st ep with sub. Really good start. Now I hope that it continues to get better. It sucks if u have a lot of expectation after watching the 1st ep and then be turned off after some episodes due to the weakening plot.

Kudos to writer, PD and all actors. Please keep up your amazing work and give us a great show

BTW I can feel how tragic Yutaka and Miri's love story will be as I think

Yutaka's stepmom is Miri's bio mother

after watching the 1st ep. Who is with me?

Guest imogene_af

Thank you so much imogene for the review.

Such a great post. I am smittened by your writing and how u delivered your thought. It is so good to read sth like this :wub: \

Thank you Dangermousie good to see you here and I love your thought about the episode.

LDH sure gets a lot of greats fans with her :D

I have just watched the 1st ep with sub. Really good start. Now I hope that it continues to get better. It sucks if u have a lot of expectation after watching the 1st ep and then be turned off after some episodes due to the weakening plot.

Kudos to writer, PD and all actors. Please keep up your amazing work and give us a great show

aw, thanks! I hope more discussion springs from our reviews, I want to keep this thread moving because it is a show that deserves some discussion! definitely! I know romcoms are just more popular in the online community but we have a potentially really powerful drama here. so i hope people give it a chance.

ughhh

this is why I was praying there is no faux incest but I think you may be right that Miri may be her daughter. Ugh. How tragic. ugh. *weeps in corner*

Edited to Add:

the kid who played young Miri was very, very impressive. I don't know if she learned from Da Hae or something... or which scenes were shot first... or who studied who, but it was believable that she would grow up to be Lee Da Hae's Miri.

250059_615168874805_32403935_33748694_450393_n.jpg

254823_615168889775_32403935_33748695_1219895_n.jpg

Guest antinh85

Funny Enough that Dramabeans is recapping this series. Well i'm surprise! lolz

http://www.dramabeans.com/2011/05/miss-ripley-episode-1/

If you watch the prologue, you can see that both male leads state that LDH is the one they once loved. This can only cause for people to assume that LDH won't have a happy ending.

I get that same vibe when i first saw the episode. Some dramas play a little trick with the viewers giving us a view of the ending credits as the opening one. Could it be that she would not end up with none of them and at least have a peaceful life with no memories of the past? . At least, that's what i hope for a less tragic ending for her.

Anyways, I loved LDH to bits after watching the first ep. She took me on an emotional roller coaster of her life. Our Lee Da hae is back!!!! We know she's capable of this and it's time to finally show everyone. I hope she can keep it up. Well we hope the drama can keep up its tragic goodness.

Yoochun, I love him in his first drama. Maybe because i'm a JYJ fan so i know a lot of stuff about him; but i feel like his character is so close to his persona outside. Anyways, I hope he will not feel too pressure to live up to his name. The guy is still new to acting and he still needs to learn.

I saw someone mentioned it in the other forums. I hope they wouldn't be that cliche. It's just so typical of korean melo. Please NO!!!

Guest imogene_af

^

wow dramabeans recapped it?

I kind of disagree with her on her opinion about the way it was shot, I felt like the claustrophobic feel to the cinematography was done on purpose, something dark and gritty about it.

But I am with her on shooting that musical director. All the boo hoo music every time Jang Miri cries KILLS me. It is so grating because it loses the impact of the said scene.

The first episode was already so good! I was surprised by how intrigued I was. I was actually going to skip this until the whole series was done because I didn't want to deal with a heavy and serious drama right now but with the amazing casts's acting and the already first lie, I want to watch the second episode already!

Archived