[Drama 2011] New Tales of the Gisaeng 신기생뎐

Guest fanda4000

no body want to explain about raising hair ????

hi @miss1001 - go back 2 pages - go to page 58 and post #1147. Auntie Mame did a really good job of explaining "raising hair". It is a very confusing Korean tradition.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the waiting takes a lot of patience.

a virtue not in my pillars.

found these pictures.

what a laugh.

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

and this very pretty.

*quoted image*

I love this picture of them together - those were the days when all was still well and dandy. The rest looks like NG, right?

---------

Dear scholar silvermine,

it pangs me to discuss SKKS because i miss it so much,

(i think you understand)

but that picture you posted does look like Gong Joo,

but i found this gif... made by our fellow soompier,

i think it was salasala or something similar to that nick.

(sorry i forgot the exact name).

but in here you can tell it's not Gong Joo, the actress.

rite?

http://cfile217.uf.daum.net/image/167A4C254CDE54443C21EF

now i go to youtube and watch clips of lee seon joon. ><

---------

Dear scholar silvermine,

it pangs me to discuss SKKS because i miss it so much,

(i think you understand)

but that picture you posted does look like Gong Joo,

but i found this gif... made by our fellow soompier,

i think it was salasala or something similar to that nick.

(sorry i forgot the exact name).

but in here you can tell it's not Gong Joo, the actress.

rite

http://cfile217.uf.daum.net/image/167A4C254CDE54443C21EF

now i go to youtube and watch clips of lee seon joon. ><

Bowing to Master Dramaok

Dear Master, I hear you .....(and see)! :ph34r:

On hindsight (and the gif), its perhaps not Gong Joo after all....

Clearly, I am still stuck at the door leading to the Banchon! "The place where learning is headed" - "where the nation begins"

(Only Scholar Lee can drag me in or out :wub: )

So (I'm thinking) good thing then that Damo is doing such a great job in distracting me at the moment

(love those pictures you found)

I click on "zealioner" just now to read up on her recap on ep. 28 and the website is set to private. Does anyone on board know why she set to private? :ph34r: Or know where we can read the recaps for this drama? I am hitting myself for not going there earlier this week.

Guest jdkk09

I click on "zealioner" just now to read up on her recap on ep. 28 and the website is set to private.  Does anyone on board know why she set to private?  :ph34r:  Or know where we can read the recaps for this drama?  I am hitting myself for not going there earlier this week.

she indicated earlier this a.m. she would be doing maintenance on the site for the next 24 hours.

she indicated earlier this a.m. she would be doing maintenance on the site for the next 24 hours.

Thank you for sharing, I have been stalking her site to see if any follow-ups to her recaps.  My little feelings were hurt:  Is she locking ME out??? 

Zealioner does a great job on the recaps, would hate to think she isn't going to share the recaps and insights so openly.  

Thank you @jdkk09 - I almost went into a deep depression when I found she had set her website to private. Hopefully she is just cleaning up some stuff on her website. :sweatingbullets:

Guest dramaok

"New Tales of the Gisaeng"

has been selected by the Korean women's association [www.womenlink.or.kr] as "bad programming"...

The association states the drama which was stated as a drama trying to show the art and pride of the gisaeng,

has been instead showing the drinking-entertainment customs that the Korean society should eradicate.

The association lists a few examples, among them is that in the drama, the gisaengs are shown pouring drinks to their male customer, accepting tips from the male customers, and gisaengs drinking to a point of passing out and carried into the room.

Overall, the association finds "New Tales of Gisaeng" a program that depreciates and belittles women, thus it's named the drama as "bad programming" in its April, 2011 findings.

Source (Korean)

------------------------------

just sharing information along.

while the drama has been entertaining for me, personally,

i can appreciate the point the association is trying to make as well. :sweatingbullets:

i've been waiting and waiting for Oh Hwa Ran to show what she meant when she said the gisaengs take pride in their art and their years of training and devotion,

but we have not really seen a whole lot of that.

Saran, as well. for a "dance gisaeng" who is supposedly.. not to sit with the customers,

she's pouring drinks, singing folk and trot songs, and accepting tips, and sitting w/ the customers.

Damo lied when he said to his mom Saran never poured drinks for men.

@dramaok:  I totally agree with you and the organization.  All of the points are quite valid.

I, for one, started watching right from the beginning, in anticipation of seeing some Korean cultural artistic presentations.   I really didn't expect to see Mr. Ginger doing his Elvis impersonation or teaching them how to slow-dance. :crazy:   Or, as you said, SR singing trot songs. I really thought we would see traditional music and dance lessons or practice sessions with experts.  :(

This is not to say that the 'tale' Writer Im is weaving isn't interesting.  However, the lack of artistic presentations is disappointing.  :angry:

Frankly, I was really surprised to see the gisaengs coming in half-drunk.  I also expected a more elegant mode of behavior from them; especially after what HwaRan said about them to Joo Hee.  -_-

As i watch the wedding of Prince William and Princess Catherine, I was thinking of Sa Ran and Damo. I 'm imagining that it is them that are walking the aisle.... I wonder when will this come to reality with our lovebirds??? I fthe royal have given their approval for the prince to marry a commoner, what more to us? That when it comes to love everybody is equal.

@dramaok:  I totally agree with you and the organization.  All of the points are quite valid.

I, for one, started watching right from the beginning, in anticipation of seeing some Korean cultural artistic presentations.   I really didn't expect to see Mr. Ginger doing his Elvis impersonation or teaching them how to slow-dance. :crazy:   Or, as you said, SR singing trot songs. I really thought we would see traditional music and dance lessons or practice sessions with experts.  :(

This is not to say that the 'tale' Writer Im is weaving isn't interesting.  However, the lack of artistic presentations is disappointing.  :angry:

Frankly, I was really surprised to see the gisaengs coming in half-drunk.  I also expected a more elegant mode of behavior from them; especially after what HwaRan said about them to Joo Hee.  -_-

I also agree with the article and the comments .....I was a little taken aback by the girls being brought in drunk and didn't think it would go over too well. I also think it doesn't put the gisaengs in a good light. In fact the whole "house" part of the drama is quickly becoming a turn off for me. I prefer the relationships going on around and out of the house. I guess that is why "Twinkle" to me has become my no 1 drama on weekends, This one had promise but it has gone too much in the other direction.IMO

I love this drama. After reading what was said by the Korean Women's Assn., I too feel this drama has been drawn to the side which we don't see - Gisaeng getting drunk and taking money from their client. I am hoping the writer will see what is written and draw more the artistic side the owner HwaRan keep stating about the Gisaeng.

Personally I was drawn to the up/down of Damo and Sa-Ran but I was really surprise when we see Sa-Ran drinking with her customer. I didn't think that was the reason why she went into the House - her purpose was to earn money for her family by using her knowledge of Korean traditional dances.

And I was kind of sad when Damo father was there that evening when he saw some of the Korean traditional dances. He had mentioned he wish he had brought his mother to the House so she could see all these traditional song/dance.

Well, hopefully in the next couple of eps. there will be changes to show more the traditioanl side now that drama has been listed as "bad programming". I am sure the PD and other in this drama do not want this label on this drama forever.

Guest jdkk09

The site is back up now.

Guest nauna

Here's an article that relates to this drama and very much to the discussion about the inequities between males and females in Korean society.

http://www.latimes.c...0,7091798.story

Thanks for the link Auntie Mame. I found the article very interesting. While I love Kdramas there are sometimes those moments that make me cringe a little, even in some of my all-time favorite dramas. When I first started watching I told myself I would just chalk it up to Cultural Differences, and enjoy the rest of the story. 

Then I read the titles of the Google ads at the bottom of the article and had to roll my eyes - "What Really Attracts Men - 9 Tips to Instantly Set Off an Uncontrollable Attraction In a Man" and the equally informative "What Attracts Men - 9 Ugly Mistakes Women Make That Men Find Totally Unattractive."crazy.gif  Maybe East and West aren't as far apart as we think sometimes.

I'm only up to episode 25 now, but the story is going differently than I thought it would too. I'm also one of those that thought we'd be shown more of Korean culture and traditions, and less of the seedy side of the gisaeng house. There's still a lot of story left though, so hopefully the show can get itself back on track.

Thanks for the link Auntie Mame. I found the article very interesting. While I love Kdramas there are sometimes those moments that make me cringe a little, even in some of my all-time favorite dramas. When I first started watching I told myself I would just chalk it up to Cultural Differences, and enjoy the rest of the story. 

Then I read the titles of the Google ads at the bottom of the article and had to roll my eyes - "What Really Attracts Men - 9 Tips to Instantly Set Off an Uncontrollable Attraction In a Man" and the equally informative "What Attracts Men - 9 Ugly Mistakes Women Make That Men Find Totally Unattractive."*quoted image*  Maybe East and West aren't as far apart as we think sometimes.

I'm only up to episode 25 now, but the story is going differently than I thought it would too. I'm also one of those that thought we'd be shown more of Korean culture and traditions, and less of the seedy side of the gisaeng house. There's still a lot of story left though, so hopefully the show can get itself back on track.

YES!  You caught the dichotomy of those ads below, too!   I had wondered if someone had a wry sense of humor and deliberately place those ads there.  Or, if it was the stupid 'tag' process which identified related subjects.  :wacko:

Truthfully, the East and West aren't that far apart on these issues.  The East may be more blatant about it.  Whereas, the West may be more subtle about it because of the laws and regulations making it illegal.  But, the inequities still exist, with the laws acting as a thin layer of ice on top of it.  And, that thin layer of ice is very easily broken.  And, that's why there are still gender discrimination lawsuits.  :blink:

Guest nauna

YES!  You caught the dichotomy of those ads below, too!   I had wondered if someone had a wry sense of humor and deliberately place those ads there.  Or, if it was the stupid 'tag' process which identified related subjects.  :wacko:

Truthfully, the East and West aren't that far apart on these issues.  The East may be more blatant about it.  Whereas, the West may be more subtle about it because of the laws and regulations making it illegal.  But, the inequities still exist, with the laws acting as a thin layer of ice on top of it.  And, that thin layer of ice is very easily broken.  And, that's why there are still gender discrimination lawsuits.  :blink:

I like the idea that it was someone's sense of humor at work. That...would make me laugh. Sadly though, the cynic in me says that it's probably the result of "tagging".

I was hesitant to start this drama, because, well...it's 50 episodes. I don't usually watch dramas with that many episodes, unless it's already aired and I can make judicious use of my FF button! phew.gif I'd heard good things about it though, and I thought I might learn a little bit more about the gisaeng's role in Korean culture. My understanding until now, was that it's not really respectable, but not quite prostitution. So far though, my understanding hasn't really changed . The gisaeng house just seems to be a glorified room salon wrapped in traditional clothing.blink.gif

I am engaged by the characters though, and that's why I'm still watching. I guess if I want to broaden my knowledge of Korean culture I should look to more academic resources and not to pop culture media.happy.gif

In fairness eversince i've been watching K-drama and that was 8 years ago (i'm not a Korean)most of the dramas that i saw there's always a soju drinking spree from both men and women, not only in this drama that i saw women/young or old got drunk and someone has to carry them in their back.

I am not condoning their drinking habit for I too think that it is a bad influence to others especially the young generation, infact my friends as well thought that it is probably just a part of their life. So I know where the women's Association are coming from.

Me, too, I thought Sa Ran will just dance and sing but not to sit and pour drinks with the customers. Just what like Da Mo said when they had a 'slapping scene' when she said she will become successful and he said in what? you will be like a bar madam which she will become if writer Im will not change the direction of the drama. Though I haven't seen much of the traditional dance of Korea this is a great way of promoting the great Korean culture since most of the gisaeng ladies were dance major (supposedly).... let's hope and see for the best that yet to come.

Guest jajami

as of the comments... the drama is not yet ended  plus this is 50 episode.. the progress of the story is too slow and a lot of character in here so its too blunt  for them to says such comments...honestly ....i stopped watching other kdramas right now coz the story  too boring (in my own interest... except of NTOG).. well i hope in next episodes there will be more twist in the story...yesterday when i watched prince william and princess catherine wedding (the prince and commoner)i suddenly remember Damo and Saran(the rich boy and the gisaeng..lol))... are thier story related????.. lol...

Archived