[Drama 2011] Tree with Deep Roots 뿌리깊은나무

Guest yeohweping

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farhah1986

another thing I like from King Sejong is, his good relationship with his queen.  ^_^

I remember the episode in the Great King Sejong, TaeJong disliked the idea that his son had such a good relationship with only one woman. When TaeJong decided to bring more concubines for his son, Sejong's mom protested, she asked why TaeJong wanted to ruin such a good husband and wife relationship? And then TaeJong answered that, it's not good for a woman to have such a great power and influence.

Then, Sejong and his queen relationship deteriorated, but they made up again.

I like how Sejong appreciated his queen and always considered about her, for example during his later life, he built Gyeotaejeon special for his queen  :wub:

Anyway, I prefer to believe the story that after the death of his queen, Sejong was very sad and mourned so much that finally resulted to his deteriorating health. Not many royal man at that time could have such a loving heart toward his official/formal wife (esp. a King). I found it very adorable.  ^_^

I agree with you....this is what I watch from The Great King Sejong in KBS  before,when his Queen's father get executed because he's been framed to commit a treason,most of his official make a proposal to him to depose her from the Queen position but he try everything he had to save his Queen and finally he make a deal with his father king Taejong.King Taejong ask him to take 10 concubine at the same time to save his Queen and he really did that.Although it may break his wife heart but thats the only way to save her at that time..We have to remember that Queen Soheon as far as I know is the only Queen in Joseon history that bear so many princes for king Sejong...and if I'm not mistaken she bear at least 8-10 sons. We can say that King Sejong has a very good relationship with his wife.

What are you talking about? If you think so, the subtitle is wrong, or you totally misunderstood the scene.

The king went to see her NOT because he wanted to test her, BUT because he was feeling guilty for those who got killed becaue of him.

You were right about that...Sejong think that everyone killed because of him ....I have to say that I love this scene so much that I repeat that scene so many time...I eager to see more of Sejong and SY because their relationship looks complex and intriguing...

Guest shyangz

I finished epis 6 and found SJ going to see Dam to test her loyalty after finding out about DB being alive interesting in that I thought it a bit selfish or self-serving of him actually o_0. This leads me to wonder what they have planned for her when she finds out that DB is alive.....Naughty king...:sweatingbullets:

What are you talking about? If you think so, the subtitle is wrong, or you totally misunderstood the scene.

The king went to see her NOT because he wanted to test her, BUT because he was feeling guilty for those who got killed becaue of him.

You were right about that...Sejong think that everyone killed because of him ....I have to say that I love this scene so much that I repeat that scene so many time...I eager to see more of Sejong and SY because their relationship looks complex and intriguing...

actually i was shocked at that scene too, where han suk gyu showed just how vulnerable sejong is and how powerful and fearsome (and crazy) that vulnerability can drive him to.. and i was also shocked when after his outburst and weeping he told soyi that if she wavers he will collapse (니가 흔드리면 나도 무너진다) .. what did he do to soyi (or vice versa) that make him so dependent on her? if ddolbokie is the first citizen he saved, is soyi the first citizen who saved him, something like that? (my speculations...) what is his relationship with soyi?! and where is the queen??

it made me rewind and go back to the song joongki parts, where she "attacked" him with vengence, and after which he apologized to her with tears, like how he spared ddolbokie's life. but what made her his most trusted palace maid? her photographic memory or her ability to read his thoughts? i realized after the scene above that soyi seems to be more important to sejong than muhyul. (i love muhyul btw lol)

oh and i've another question for those who watched the princess' men. sejong's son, the one who gets soyi out of her interrogation from jang hyuk, he's not moon chaewon's dad is he?

all in all, tree with deep roots exceeds my expectations, it's like a thriller yet not really 'cos of its violence... just seeing them piece things together (like the lunchbox revelations and now yoon pil's 4-character code) it makes my heart race... haha..

Guest kaeruchan

oh and i've another question for those who watched the princess' men. sejong's son, the one who gets soyi out of her interrogation from jang hyuk, he's not moon chaewon's dad is he?  

prince gwangpyeong is the one who saved her, if I'm not mistaken. according to the real history, he isn't crown prince suyang, moon chae won's father in TPM. gwangpyeong is the fifth prince, while suyang is the second one. they're different person I believe. 

Sorry to cut your post, but just wanted to answer your question. No, he's not SR's father. I believe he's the future King Mujong, KH's father in TPM. EDIT - oops! I see kaeru-chan answered your question too, but we have different answers. Now, I'm confused! 

I'm so intrigued by the mystery, and fascinated by the king and DB, but there were a couple of things in ep 5 & 6 that kind of lost me. First, I find it hard to believe that MH would recognize a scar from a wound he inflicted so many years ago. Unless you intentionally create a wound of a certain size and shape, how would you be able to differentiate a wound you inflicted from one caused by anybody else? Also, the flying through the air thing...ummm...kind of a WTH moment for me. I'm willing to let it slide right now, though, 'cause everything else is just so interesting. Can't wait to see how all these puzzle pieces fit together, the king and SoYi, the young scholars and their tattoos, the scary slave lady, the scholar, and the masked assassin, (does he always wear that thing?), and now the mysterious Ming lady and her posse. 

Actually, I have a theory that the scholar who showed up in ep 6 and is in cahoots with scary slave lady, is actually, Jong Gi Jung, the son of Jong Do Kwang. The one who told you King Sejong that he couldn't do anything. Except he looks younger than the king, so maybe he's JGJ's son? Anyway, he's got to have something to do with him.

I'm also wondering what is the exact nature of the relationship between the king and SoYi. It doesn't seem romantic, but they obviously are close. If it started with his feelings of guilt towards her for what happened to her and her father, how did it get to where they are now?

Grand Prince Gwang-pyeong who got So Yi out of her interrogation is King Sejong's 5th son.

The sons of King Sejong and Queen Soheon

1. Crown Prince (Yi Hyang) = King Munjong 왕세자 향(王世子 珦) - 문종(文宗) (The Princess' Man)

2. Grand Prince Su-Yang (Yi Yu) = King Sejo 수양대군 유(首陽大君 瑈) - 세조(世祖) : SR's father (The Princess' Man)

3. Grand Prince An-Pyeong (Yi Yong) 안평대군 용(安平大君 瑢) : Killed by King Sejo (The Princess' Man)

4. Grand Prince Yim-Young (Yi Gu) 임영대군 구(臨瀛大君 璆)

5. Grand Prince Gwang-Pyeong (Yi Yeo) 광평대군 여(廣平大君 璵) : died at the age of 19 (in 1444)

6. Grand Prince Geum-Seong (Yi Yu) 금성대군 유(錦城大君 瑜) : killed by King Sejo (The Princess' Man)

7. Grand Prince Peyong-Won (Yi Yim) 평원대군 임(平原大君 琳)

8. Grand Prince Yeong-Eung (Yi Yeom) 영응대군 염(永膺大君 琰)

Grand Prince Gwang-pyeong who got So Yi out of her interrogation is King Sejong's 5th son.

The sons of King Sejong and Queen Soheon

1. Crown Prince (Yi Hyang) = King Munjong  왕세자 향(王世子 珦) - 문종(文宗) (The Princess' Man)

2. Grand Prince Su-Yang (Yi Yu) = King Sejo 수양대군 유(首陽大君 瑈) - 세조(世祖) : SR's father (The Princess' Man)

3. Grand Prince An-Pyeong (Yi Yong) 안평대군 용(安平大君 瑢) : Killed by King Sejo (The Princess' Man)

4. Grand Prince Yim-Young (Yi Gu) 임영대군 구(臨瀛大君 璆)

5. Grand Prince Gwang-Pyeong (Yi Yeo) 광평대군 여(廣平大君 璵) : died at the age of 19 (in 1444)

6. Grand Prince Geum-Seong (Yi Yu) 금성대군 유(錦城大君 瑜) : killed by King Sejo (The Princess' Man)

7. Grand Prince Peyong-Won (Yi Yim) 평원대군 임(平原大君 琳)

8. Grand Prince Yeong-Eung (Yi Yeom) 영응대군 염(永膺大君 琰)

Thanks for the clarification! I totally had it wrong! blush.gif

~ A Tree With Deep Roots ~

Viki Softsubs

Subtitles brought to you by the Deep Rooted Friends Team @Viki.com

The softsubs are synched to the 720p HANrel videos but should also work with the other HANrel versions.

Link to the Viki channel: A Tree With Deep Roots

Link to the Softsubs page:

A Tree With Deep Roots Viki Softsubs

treewithdeeprootssmall.jpg

actually i was shocked at that scene too, where han suk gyu showed just how vulnerable sejong is and how powerful and fearsome (and crazy) that vulnerability can drive him to.. and i was also shocked when after his outburst and weeping he told soyi that if she wavers he will collapse (니가 흔드리면 나도 무너진다) .. what did he do to soyi (or vice versa) that make him so dependent on her? if ddolbokie is the first citizen he saved, is soyi the first citizen who saved him, something like that? (my speculations...) what is his relationship with soyi?! and where is the queen??

it made me rewind and go back to the song joongki parts, where she "attacked" him with vengence, and after which he apologized to her with tears, like how he spared ddolbokie's life. but what made her his most trusted palace maid? her photographic memory or her ability to read his thoughts? i realized after the scene above that soyi seems to be more important to sejong than muhyul. (i love muhyul btw lol)

When I read that SJ lied to her deliberately, it made me wonder too about her worth to the kingdom and him.  That scene made me realize how brilliant this king is and the duplicity of his action in that scene floored me [due to the actor].....I hope his reason behind deliberately telling or reminding her that no one from her past is alive due to his inability will help and not cause her more pain when DB is exposed later on....I'm looking forward to seeing how she finds out and responds when she realizes the lie told to her since she has a photographic memory.  She seems like a family member so I don't think SJ wants her to hate him, but he has his reasons for allowing DB to continue the investigation in ignorance of his newly found knowledge of who he really is and his motive....SY will probably be present in the end when SJ hands DB that cup of wine....

I like Muhyul too.  Running looks good on him....^_^

this drama is really awesome, can't wait for the next episodes :lol: . btw, is the story line of this drama true or purely fiction. i mean the characters of ddol bok, soyi & muh yol, did they really exist back then? and also the martial arts techniques that they mentioned, was it really practiced by warriors back then? i'm just curious coz it's pretty amazing :sweatingbullets:

Guest dramaok

yeah i think maybe Lee Do / Sejong needs Soyi to be his conscience, before he said if you waver i will collapse, he also said, 나를 위해 단 한 방울의 눈물도 흘려서는 아니된다 (you cannot shed even one drop of tear on my account). i guess maybe Lee Do can't forgive himself for the deaths, and Soyi is his constant reminder (her being mute as the result of what happened that night) and he needs her to be constant in her blaming him as the culprit so he never forgets? but when Soyi went soft he got so pissed, and i don't know if his fury was directed to himself or to her. i dunno but that scene definitely left me a strong impression too. you see such a different side to Lee Do when he's broken down. and the acting is so amazing, of course. i can't get tired of watching Han Seok Gyu. he delivered 100% and then some. it was the first time i saw Lee Do as a very masculine threat that can be both dangerous and violent. i don't know if there's anything romantic under all that, but there's definitely a sexual current somewhere in there. a potential for it? it was kind of a dark scene.

Actually, I have a theory that the scholar who showed up in ep 6 and is in cahoots with scary slave lady, is actually, Jong Gi Jung, the son of Jong Do Kwang. The one who told you King Sejong that he couldn't do anything. Except he looks younger than the king, so maybe he's JGJ's son? Anyway, he's got to have something to do with him.

i was wondering about whether Shim Jongsoo is really Jeong Gi-Joon, but i don't know why King Lee Do doesnt' recognize him then?

Guest samasta93

and where is the queen??

yessss... seriously... where is she~?

and I must admit how I love every scene where young SeJong (such a handsome king) was together with her (esp. the hugging scene~ :wub: )

actually, I prefer an older queen for old Sejong~ ^_^ because I think, the young queen is suitable only for the young SeJong

:lol: -LOL- (**sorry, no offense**)

I like Muhyul too.  Running looks good on him....^_^

I love him too~ ^_^

I saw the real actor and... forgive me for saying this, but... I prefer his JoSeon style with that nice mustache and beard -_-

====

anyway... talking about mustache and beard, I think... SeJong has to change his style on them... especially the beard~ Could they make it shorter? :P

Guest dramaok

this drama is really awesome, can't wait for the next episodes :lol: . btw, is the story line of this drama true or purely fiction. i mean the characters of ddol bok, soyi & muh yol, did they really exist back then? and also the martial arts techniques that they mentioned, was it really practiced by warriors back then? i'm just curious coz it's pretty amazing :sweatingbullets:

i think this is what they call Faction story. fact + fiction.

they combined some real historical figures and dates and events with a bunch of fictional characters and events.

real historical figures:

lee do. (sejong)

lee bang won. (taejong)

jeong inji (lee do closest advisor)

seong sam moon (junior scholar official)

park paeng nyeon (junior scholar official)

lee soon ji (the quiet scholar official)

prince gwang pyeong

jo mal saeng (Taejong's henchman, now senior minister)

kim jong seo (the general who took Chae Yoon to the capital)

hwang hui (current prime minister)

choi manri (chief scholar of jiphyeonjeon)

queen soheon

jeong do-jeon

i think these are purely fictional:

- jeong gi-joon (not 100% sure but i think it's made up)

- jeong do-kwang

- muhyul

- dahm/ soyi

- chae yoon

- banchon madam

- all the minor characters, butcher, the guards, etc.

Guest kaeruchan

watching the scene of both Sejong & SY cry makes me cry too. Sejong is such a soft-hearted king, but he doesn't let everyone to see his true self. for now, I'd like to think how Sejong treats SY is purely because of guilty conscience, not more than that.

I actually wish for SY & CY/DB  to recognize each other and end up together^^

about Queen Soheon...

this fictional story is about a series of murder happened just before the introduction of Hangul script.

as we know, Hangul was introduced on October 9, 1446.

Queen Soheon died in the same year Hangul was introduced, on March 24,1446.

if this story was to follow the real history, Queen Soheon would be no longer alive when the murders occured. so that explains why her character is no longer included in the drama.

another fact: Queen Soheon was actually older than Sejong by two years.

I have the same thought with nauna & dramaok about Shim Jong-Soo. maybe Sejong doesn't recognize him because he doesn't reveal his real identity yet.

poor Sejong, he's not the person responsible for things happened under Taejong's command, but he has to pay the price by being the target of people who wants to seek revenge...

I'm so intrigued by the mystery, and fascinated by the king and DB, but there were a couple of things in ep 5 & 6 that kind of lost me. First, I find it hard to believe that MH would recognize a scar from a wound he inflicted so many years ago. Unless you intentionally create a wound of a certain size and shape, how would you be able to differentiate a wound you inflicted from one caused by anybody else? Also, the flying through the air thing...ummm...kind of a WTH moment for me. I'm willing to let it slide right now, though, 'cause everything else is just so interesting. Can't wait to see how all these puzzle pieces fit together, the king and SoYi, the young scholars and their tattoos, the scary slave lady, the scholar, and the masked assassin, (does he always wear that thing?), and now the mysterious Ming lady and her posse. 

sorry to cut your post short too - just want to give some thoughts to what you mentioned. i watched the chinese translation for the episodes, so there was one part where MH asked his subordinate regarding "scars" left by writers/brush strokes and warriors/sword strokes, especially those who are highly skilled (in either of the arts). I guess they are making kind of an analogy between handwriting and scars left behind by the swordsman...hence MH recognize his own handiwork... which leads me to the next thing, about the flying through the air thing.

If i remember right, this is based off a korean manga, which i think added in the fantasy like fighting skills. I kind of suspected that when i read about Chae Yoon meeting a grandmaster in the wilderness and become skilled - very common wuxia hero plotline. just my 2 cents :D

sorry to cut your post short too - just want to give some thoughts to what you mentioned.  i watched the chinese translation for the episodes, so there was one part where MH asked his subordinate regarding "scars" left by writers/brush strokes and warriors/sword strokes, especially those who are highly skilled (in either of the arts).  I guess they are making kind of an analogy between handwriting and scars left behind by the swordsman...hence MH recognize his own handiwork... which leads me to the next thing, about the flying through the air thing.  

If i remember right, this is based off a korean manga, which i think added in the fantasy like fighting skills.  I kind of suspected that when i read about Chae Yoon meeting a grandmaster in the wilderness and become skilled - very common wuxia hero plotline.  just my 2 cents :D

Thanks for your 2 cents! biggrin.gif I haven't watched a lot of wuxia, so that's probably why I didn't get it at first, but I did figure we were going into martial arts mythical stuff with the grand master, flying through the air, killing with drops of water, etc. Maybe I should expand my wuxia experience beyond "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" ? laugh.gif wink.gif

I still find MH recognizing the scar as his own handiwork to be implausible, but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief because overall, I do think this is a very intelligently, and well - written show. 

kaeru-chan and dramaok, I sort of assumed the king didn't recognize him since it had been so long since they had seen each other, and they're both adults now. Butif SJS really is JGJ, then wouldn't he be older than the king? He looked older in the flashbacks, but he doesn't look older now. I'm basing my suspicions on his involvement with the Banchon lady, the assassin, and the Hidden Root, but did you guys pick up on anything else that might point to him actually being JGJ?

Guest kaeruchan

kaeru-chan and dramaok, I sort of assumed the king didn't recognize him since it had been so long since they had seen each other, and they're both adults now. Butif SJS really is JGJ, then wouldn't he be older than the king? He looked older in the flashbacks, but he doesn't look older now. I'm basing my suspicions on his involvement with the Banchon lady, the assassin, and the Hidden Root, but did you guys pick up on anything else that might point to him actually being JGJ?

from the flashbacks, it looks like JGJ is older only by few years than Sejong, so that might be a possibility too. I can't figure out their ages based on their looks alone as they have beards, which was quite common then. his association with Mil-Bon is only showed in episode 6, so it's still early to make any assumption.

but I really want to believe SJS is JGJ as he looked so mad when he realized the meaning behind the characters that said "the perished roots". If he's not the close acquaintance to anyone inside the Hidden Roots, he shouldn't be that angry, right?

i think this is what they call Faction story. fact + fiction.

they combined some real historical figures and dates and events with a bunch of fictional characters and events.

real historical figures:

lee do. (sejong)

lee bang won. (taejong)

jeong inji (lee do closest advisor)

seong sam moon (junior scholar official)

park paeng nyeon (junior scholar official)

lee soon ji (the quiet scholar official)

prince gwang pyeong

jo mal saeng (Taejong's henchman, now senior minister)

kim jong seo (the general who took Chae Yoon to the capital)

hwang hui (current prime minister)

choi manri (chief scholar of jiphyeonjeon)

queen soheon

jeong do-jeon

i think these are purely fictional:

- jeong gi-joon (not 100% sure but i think it's made up)

- jeong do-kwang

- muhyul

- dahm/ soyi

- chae yoon

- banchon madam

- all the minor characters, butcher, the guards, etc.

wow! you really know korean history. i'm impressed :D thanks!

Guest dramaok

since Shim Jong Soo is fictional character i don't know what his hanja names are.

but look at this possible hanja combination:

Shim [심] = 深 [깊을 심] = deep

Jong [종] = 種 [씨 종 / 뿌리다] = seed/to root

Soo [수] = 樹 [나무 수 ] = tree

deep [shim] + rooted [Jong] +tree [soo]

anyways, possibly a clue i guess.

though probably not true. no one names themselves or their kids 'tree' i dont think.

but I really want to believe SJS is JGJ as he looked so mad when he realized the meaning behind the characters that said "the perished roots". If he's not the close acquaintance to anyone inside the Hidden Roots, he shouldn't be that angry, right?

i think he was angry because he couldn't figure out how 丨口亡己 signifies the followers of Jeong Do Jeon.

he did not realize that the puzzle actually spells out 밀 Mil (hidden) + 본 Bon (root).

like everyone else except Sejong, he assumed they were Chinese characters.

so i think he was more frustrated than angry.

============

i think we can't rely on the characters' looks to determine their age either.

since the casting is a bit out there in terms of believable age discrepancy.

i mean Muhyul and Chaeyoon first met when Muhyul was already like at least 25 right? while Chae Yoon was 10 or something.

but the actors playing their roles are both born same year. Jo Jin Woong = 1976 and Jang Hyeok = 1976.

the biggest one is Soyi and Chaeyoon should be around the same age but Shin Se Kyeong = 1990.

also, Yoon Pyeong should've been around Chae Yoon's age or slightly older, but the actor, Lee Soo Hyeok is 1988 born.

Lee Do, Han Seok Gyu is 1965, so he's actualy a good 12 years older than Jo Jin Woong who plays Muhyul.

Archived