Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

[interview Part I] The Pretty Boy Lee Jong Seok Takes a Turn with ‘R2B’

CJ E&M enewsWorld

He has a small face, white skin, a tall height and a skinny body, and he’s already acted in front of the public for years but still blushes at the more daring questions. This actor named Lee Jong Seok was just like a character from a well-drawn manga.

In the drama Secret Garden and the sitcom High Kick: The Short Legs Strike Back, he appeared in characters that fit his looks.

On the big screen, however, he went for the opposite; he’s been taking up roles that aren’t easy, and this shows how serious he is about acting. In Korea, he talked with a North Korean dialect as the North Korean table tennis player Choi Kyung Sub, and in R2B: Return to Base, which was filmed before Korea but premiered much later, he appeared as the rookie pilot Ji Seok Hyun, who faints whenever he gets on a jet.

13631002.jpg

Most of Lee Jong Seok’s back story was edited out when the film started leaning more toward emphasizing its visuals, but he still shone in the few scenes that were left in the film. He even became a manlier figure as a soldier in the Air Force. The actor said he took on a lot of cute roles, but his real personality is similar to that of Choi Kyung Sub in Korea.

You must be sad the scenes showing your ‘deep friendship’ with Jung Seok Won were edited out of ‘R2B: Return to Base’. They said you even had a kiss scene.

“It was more like a peck than a kiss. (Laugh) We got drunk and then pecked each other on the lips. Seok Hyun actually has a long story behind him, but it was all edited out. He misses his mother because he was adopted, and he debates many things after coming to Korea. Jung Seok Won protects the fragile Seok Hyun. Seok Hyun then becomes manlier as the film continues.”

A lot of your scenes were edited because the film aimed toward showing off more visuals.

“That’s okay. R2B is a visual shock. It was great to think that Korea can come up with films like this now. I understand since it’ll be for the good of the film.”

How did you come to be cast for this film?

“I hadn’t been in that many pieces, but most of my roles were serious and rough or bright and awkward. I wanted to try it out because it was a type of role I had never tried. Director Kim Dong Won seemed to think my image fit the role, so he didn’t even have me read out the script for him. I asked him why he cast me, and he said I fit Seok Hyun perfectly. I don’t know whether that’s supposed to be good or bad. I shot this film before Korea. [R2B] was a burden on me because it was my first full commercial film.”

13631004.jpg

There were explosions, and at times you were isolated. Filming those scenes wouldn’t have been easy.

“I was lonely because I had so many scenes alone. There were also a lot of scenes in which I could’ve gotten hurt if I didn’t concentrate. In the scene where I run away in the mountains, I hurt the ligament in my ankle."

"Getting surgery would take too long, so I just put braces on. I almost didn’t make it into Korea because I got hurt while filming this film. I even got scars on my face in explosion scenes. I didn’t know then, but watching the scenes now makes me tear up. It feels like I’ve been through my military services."

"It was also hard on me because I had to film more than one piece at once. High Kick: The Short Legs Strike Back overlapped with R2B, and near the end of R2B I had to film Korea."

"I’m not that seasoned in acting, so I got confused about my character as I tried to film three pieces at once. I would act like a high school student, then become a soldier, and then again become a North Korean table tennis player. That was hard.”

Photo credit: Hea Jung Min

[interview Part II] Lee Jong Seok Says He Can’t Call Himself an Actor Yet

CJ E&M enewsWorld

Out of the cast of ‘R2B: Return to Base’, Jung Ji Hoon (Rain) and Lee Jong Seok were the only ones who hadn’t served in the military yet. It must’ve been hard because it was a military film.

“I was told off by Yu Jun Sang sunbaenim (senior) at first because I said ‘annyeonghaseyo’ (hello). He told me to say ‘annyeonghashimnika’ (more formal). I read my script a lot because my acting wasn’t very stable, and Yu Jun Sang sunbaenim gave me a lot of advice. I’m so thankful. He kept giving me chances to speak up at the stage events when I couldn’t seem to find the right timing, too.”

13636002.jpg

What kind of senior is Jung Ji Hoon?

“He’s so cool. I was so happy to be acting with him while looking into his eyes. I dreamed of becoming an actor since I was in middle school thanks to Jung Ji Hoon hyung (big brother). He was so cool in Full House. I was so happy to be acting with someone I liked that much.”

How did you like ‘R2B’?

“I don’t know what I should say film-wise, but I do believe this film will help develop the videos of Korean films.”

You like acting so much; why did you prepare to debut as a model or idol group member?

“I signed with the wrong agency. I prepared as an idol group member for three months and then quit. I couldn’t bring myself to do it among team members who had been preparing for two years. I signed with the agency because it said it would help me act, but it didn’t keep its promise. I never thought of modeling, either.”

You’re hosting SBS’ ‘Inkigayo’ now. That’s not acting.

“I tried it out thinking maybe it would help me fix my shyness, but I still haven’t fixed it. I thought I wouldn’t be able to do it, but I ended up doing it anyway. It’s been three months but I still feel awkward.”

It’s amazing how you can act when you’re so shy.

“Oddly, it’s okay when I stand in front of the camera, and not people. I become nervous when there are more people around.”

You don’t seem very talkative either.

“That’s right. I felt uncomfortable as Choi Kyung Sub in Korea only because I had to use the North Korean form of speech; his personality is more similar to mine. My hobby is to watch dramas or films at home. I’m not a very good drinker, either. I don’t have many friends who are my age because I was active as a model since I was little.”

13636004.jpg

What type of role do you want to try in the future?

“I want to be a melancholy character in a melancholy film.”

You’re an actor who grows very quickly.

“I want to do more acting. I’ve been on break after shooting three pieces at once. It’s only been a few months since I’ve started resting, but it feels like I’ve forgotten how to act. I’m a person who still needs to continue filming and working hard.”

What kind of actor do you want to be?

“My long term goal is to become an actor who can introduce himself as ‘the actor Lee Jong Seok’. Now, I can’t say that because I’m not as good as that name. I also want to be an actor who can’t be replaced, an actor who’s good at acting, an actor who has an image only Lee Jong Seok can put on.”

Photo credit: Hea Jung Min