The Walking Dead

Guest diru

AMC gives us zombies!

TWD+Poster.jpg

VIEW TRAILER

IMDB INFORMATION

Hadn't seen anyone post a thread dedicated to the new AMC series, The Walking Dead so I figured I'd do it myself! The series is based off of Robert Kirkman's critically acclaimed graphic novels of the same name. If I had to condense the series into one sentence it would be this: the series will depict the lives and times of a group of desperate people surviving a zombie apocalypse. I haven't read the graphic novels myself though I do hear that the story is very rich and that the characters are so fully developed and realized, which I guess makes sense for AMC to pick it up (although it is a very daring move on their behalf). The pilot premiered last week and was met with great reception from fans of the graphic novels. So, anyone else following The Walking Dead?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest motherducker

I never read the graphic novels for this, but when I saw the trailer, I was like "heck yes, I'm watching this!" :w00t:

I'm a sucker for zombie movies/shows.

Can't really say much, since it was only the first episode, but that it was pretty good. Can't wait to see further development of the characters and plot.

Guest duckbutt'

I've only seen hald of the first episode sadly, but so far, its very good! Great graphics for a TV series. I was actually quite surprised. The graphics were better than some zombie movies.

I dont know much about the plot yet cause I havent seen the entire first episode, but I will watch it today!

It's a good show for zombie lovers. (:

My sister introduced me to The Walking Dead about a month ago and lent me the graphic novels. I just finished reading Volume One of the graphic novel a week before the TV series premiere and it was awesome! I've never really been into graphic novels before, but this series just sucked me in.

here's a link to the graphic novel site, if anyone's interested: http://www.hiddenrobot.com/WALKINGDEAD/

I have yet to watch the TV show, but I've heard great things about it from friends that haven't read the comic. I'll definitely catch up with the premiere episode before the second one airs tonight.

It's too bad I don't live in a country where they show awesome television programs. I have to wait for each episode to appear on torrent sites as soon as it's finished airing then proceed to download. Nonetheless, equally excited for the next episode. I still can't get over the bike-girl zombie. She was one of the best looking zombies I had ever seen, it was absolutely amazing. So... life-like. I hear it took about three hours to get all those prosthetics done on the actress. I think she'll be the zombie that most people remember from this series.

You're not alone in downloading TV shows. For instance, there's no other way for me to get the latest Top Gear episodes except for online downloads. I don't have cable so all American cable network shows come from the Internet. 

Rubicon is another decent show by AMC and it deals with some global conspiracy theory about the world. Justified (season 2 in Feb 2011) and Sons of Anarchy (season 3 airing) are worth looking into as well as Southland (season 3 in Jan 2011).

A lot of shows I watch aren't viewed by people my age. It does make me feel alienated. 

You're not alone in downloading TV shows. For instance, there's no other way for me to get the latest Top Gear episodes except for online downloads. I don't have cable so all American cable network shows come from the Internet. 

Rubicon is another decent show by AMC and it deals with some global conspiracy theory about the world. Justified (season 2 in Feb 2011) and Sons of Anarchy (season 3 airing) are worth looking into as well as Southland (season 3 in Jan 2011).

A lot of shows I watch aren't viewed by people my age. It does make me feel alienated. 

I've heard good things about Rubicon (you can assume series produced by AMC will be gold). I've recently acquired Breaking Bad and am currently on season 2 of Mad Men as well. I'm not a TV pundit which is why all these shows are just arriving to my ear now, hahaha. I was fortunate enough at least to say I stuck it out with The Walking Dead since the beginning, haha. I've really been meaning to check out Sons of Anarchy and Southland. Pretty sure some of my friends have SoA...

Guest _ATELIER

the walking dead just made my sundays more enjoyable.

i love zombiessss! and the zombies on the show actually look pretty legit.

they show full episodes online for anyone who missed it.link

Episode 2 reminded me of Dawn of the Dead. Basic spoiler from the preview: the guy winds up in a mall or department store with several other survivors. The zombies are smart enough to use a rock to try and break through the glass. 

Should be interesting. 

the only thing i'm not too pleased with is the whole Lori/Shane relationship. they're showing way too much of it, imo. it was only suppose to be one time thing for the both of them in the graphic novel, but it seems that the tv show has made it to be much, much more (it seems like the tv series is even hinting that shane and lori had an affair even before rick slipped into a coma).

but changes to the story are alwasy to be expected when transfering comics onto tv. now that i think about it, showing an ongoing relationship is an awesome twist/build up to the story, i'm looking forward to the upcoming episodes.

According to Wikipedia, there will only be 6 episodes in the season (done with 2 already). Renewal is uncertain as of now and it sucks that these non-mainstream shows have to fight valiantly to earn viewers and most people finally catch on when it's too late. 

I wonder just how long a zombie television series can go if they get past the first season since the creator planned all future seasons to be 13 episodes long. It feels like a mini-series and that format might be better (short runs maybe twice a year with plot progressing in real time, build anticipation in-between breaks). 

^ Breaking Bad only had 7 episodes in it's first season and it's been doing pretty well. The following seasons had it stacked at 13 episodes and since that's also on AMC you could maybe expect something like that, I guess? I doubt AMC would drop TWD if they had a loss ince viewers since the pilot of TWD attracted the most numbers of audiences within the 18-40 that the channel had ever recieved (which is understandable given it's content and subject matter).

AND I just finished the second episode and man, did it leave a lot of heart racing moments! One thing I especially liked about this episode which you don't see very often in these types of shows/films is that among the "survivors" was a racist. I dunno, it just seems to me that this is something that could be touched on and could bring some interesting stories. I mean if it's not the zombies that'll kill ya it's our own people. Old habits die hard, right?

And I dunno about you guys but I found that when

Rick was chopping up the zombie to use it's blood and guts as a distraction to be absolutely hilarious. The "he's an organ donor" line was great and towards the end when Rick stops cutting and says "We're gonna be need a lot more" had me laughing so much! I'm just a cruel and sick person, haha.

:)

The type of drama that Breaking Bad is works because it is the typical type of character development plot that can go on for a few seasons. The issue with zombie shows is that regardless of the plot, it'll still be about zombies and shooting them. Down the road, this might run out of steam and become the stereotypical zombie straight-to-video film. I'm assuming everything based on 2 episodes though.

It is a niche show and if they don't appeal to the niche, the viewers will not tune in. That's really the hard part, finding a balance between plot development and pure violence. I had to fast-forward a few times last night.

The type of drama that Breaking Bad is works because it is the typical type of character development plot that can go on for a few seasons. The issue with zombie shows is that regardless of the plot, it'll still be about zombies and shooting them. Down the road, this might run out of steam and become the stereotypical zombie straight-to-video film. I'm assuming everything based on 2 episodes though.

It is a niche show and if they don't appeal to the niche, the viewers will not tune in. That's really the hard part, finding a balance between plot development and pure violence. I had to fast-forward a few times last night.

I think it's expected that the show will have to slow down at some points and just NOT be all about the zombies (hard to do when your show is called The Walking Dead). I think that there are some stories in the comics that are true standouts/favourites of fans and those are the ones that have don't all the chaotic zombie action. Hrmm, now that I think about it, I would say that TWD could work better as a mini-series though given the source material, I doubt that it would be allowed to have that kind of restriction. The only other "zombie" television show that I know of is this brilliant mini-series from the UK called Dead Set. I think there's potential for TWD to expand into other seasons (would it be a first for something of it's genre?) as there is the fanbase that's already locked in to watch it and there an element of curiosity on part of the general viewership to see what motivates a unique show like this. I just want to tihnk positively about this show because as "typical" as some of these scenarios in the last two episodes have been, they've only been two episodes! I'm sure the show should be able to do fine after that I mean it is AMC right? :P

Archived