Can you make it mainly based on your voice?

Guest strawberrykiss989

Guest mluvzsx3

mluvzsx3:

-picture: 4 of 5.

-singing: 3 of 10.

-strong: good look. =D but if you wanna be a idol in korea, you have to be able to surgery plastic =/.

-weak: if you be a singer, you will be a visual one. u know, your singing is not good enough to give you a chance to be a famous singer.

Thank you for your critique :) Honestly, I know that my voice is weak... lol. (for the basis of this thread... I am a no to the question... lol oh well) But I did not think my looks were that strong either... new to me. Haha anyways, for you...

picture: 3/5

singing: 8/10

Picture wise, I would give you 3/5 because it seems that your face is v-shaped and you have good skin. but in the video, your eyes look more spread apart and your jaw is more square, so I would give you a 2/5. (SORRY!)

But omg.. singing wise, 8! Although it was REALLY good, there were some high parts where you seemed to struggle and I couldn't hear some parts. Also I didn't give you a 9 because I didn't feel something that stood out to me from other good singers. With that, I would have definitely given you more points! :D

Good points: Good technique and strong, stable voice! :D

Bad points: Quiet audio

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest strawberrykiss989

Name: Jeny Kim

Height: 162cm

Weight: 50kg

Race/Nationality: brazilian born korean =D

picture

singing: audition for mbc

audition for mbc2

Hi Jeny!

Oooh you're born in Brazil, cool...

Thank you very much for critiquing others! You weren't able to see my picture or video because I felt like I had enough critiques and removed it. But I will be uploading new ones once I improve my singing and lose some weight, I'll be happy for you to critique them then!

Here's my critique of you:

Picture: 3/5 - Umm... You're a pretty girl but the lighting is kinda freaky in the picture, makes you look quite ghostly... But anyways judging your features! I agree with mluvzsx3 aka Michelle that is in the picture you look like you have a v shaped face (too be honest I think all face shapes have their own beauty) but in the video it looks less so. You also appear not to have double eyelids which are a must with Korean idols, well with most of them anyway. You have a clear complexion which is good. Additionally you look quite slender which is the norm for Korean celebs and even for Hollywood celebs.

Singing: 7.5/10

The good: You have a great voice with a wide vocal range. I liked video two more than video one, in my opinion it complimented your vocals better.

The bad: In video one you sounded a bit too breathy, I don't know whether this is intentional (because you didn't do it for video 2) and is like the original song because I don't know the song. Also you did struggle in some parts of the song though it only happened a few times.

Further improvements: Hmm... I don't really know what to say really, you're already a great singer but there is room to improve. I say practice more and really try to broaden your vocal range further so you're not struggling to hit some notes.

Well that’s my critique of you!

Guest mluvzsx3

Picture: 3/5

Singing: 3/10

Hi! Hmmm from your picture, I don't think you look bad at all! but truthfully... I found it a little awkward for some reason... haha idk why... XD but wow your skin looks REALLY clear! :D And your eyes are different... I haven't seen your kind of eyes before... I kind of wonder whether you are part asian and part something else? XD

Anyways, for your singing... truthfully, I think your voice can sound good but it seemed too weak for the song you sang. It seemed like you had to strain yourself to reach half the notes and it took away from your voice. Also, you were very quiet. Maybe you should pick a lower-ranged song? I want to hear another clip from you with a song that you are more comfortable singing before I judge you fully :)... Haha I feel like you are goign to give me the same comments about weak voice XD

Guest hbunnynote

Hmm... I guess it won't to try it... lol

Haha but I am curious about what ppl think about my voice... I have been trying to develop it since last year... but I still need a lot of help... SO let's see what people say lol

Name: Michelle

Height: 61 in

Weight: 114 lb

Race/Nationality: Korean-American

PICTURE:

PIC

CLIP: http://www.box.net/shared/5exapqm5y5 (sorry for static... my microphone kinda went crazy)

Ahh this is a bad clip of my singing...besides the fact that it is not edited and no background lol. I just made it quickly so I will try to put up a better one later on...

And one where I am not trying to mimic the original singers lol

Picture: 4/5 Average, kind of hard to tell with lighting

Singing: 7/10 Average, but I like your tone.

Good: Your voice is flexible, and your voice sounds pretty good in that range

Bad: Off tune. Harmony is off tune. And learn to control your vibrato better. You overuse it to the point where it just sounds like your voice is unstable (at first it sounds ok but as the song progresses, off-tuneness and vibrato control gets worse).

Further improvements: work on controlling breathing and the clarity of your voice.

Oh, and it was the lighting that made my skin look so white. My webcam isn't very clear, but I don't have pimply skin? lol... yay for balance.

hbunnynote -

Singing: 5/10

I actually think you have a nice sounding voice when i first listened to your opening on "Everytime we touch", but there's not much power/support in the chorus. the tone you have is pretty much the same for most of the song, even though it's a softer song. your head voice is a bit shaky too. you have good pitch, but i think you need more control/power.

Work on: Power in your voice, it might be a range thing or technical/mic thing, but it sounds like you're singing on the surface. so maybe work on your breathing and technique to push more air out.

---

jksk

Singing - 7/10

The quality and control of your voice are nice! I think with training you could be really good, i can hear the flexibility in your voice and you have good usage of it. Some of it did sound a bit breathy, but i think that was just you adding emotional depth to the song. At the end of your first video, it felt like you were holding back too- i don't know if it's just because you didn't want to go crazy for the camera or if it's an ability thing.

Work on: i want to hear more power, especially at the end (of the first video).

---

apple195

Singing - 4/10

You seem to have a nice tone, but it's hard to evaluate you properly since you sing so softly and hold back. There's some sliding between notes, pitch is okay otherwise. your lower parts sound really nice, but the higher sounds a little uncomfortable.

Work on: i really want to hear you sing more powerfully and not holding back! i don't know if it's because of your microphone that you can't be louder, but i think it would be easier to evaluate you better. and i would be able to hear if you can hit those higher notes better (work on high notes)

---

sorry if my critique format is not quite the same, but it's the gist of it? i hope it's all right... i'll try to post something soon! if my critique format isn't okay, i'll try to fix it asap

---

EDIT:

So Hot (English)

my singing sounds different in every song... some critiques on the rap would be good too! feat. yubin before her rap.

Guest makingwishes

Aero2042:

Picture: (this is judged out of 5 though if there is no picture than ignore this). 3/5 - i think if you style the right way and promote yourself the right way, you'll be set(: it all depends on how you

Singing: (this is judged out of 10)

6/10 halfway there(: stronger voice would be nice. sometimes, i hear people sing and it frustrates me because i just want them to put more power in their voice instead of singing so softly xD so much potential but please let go(:

The good: (what you feel are their strong points)

Okay. Your look is unique. I wonder what you'd look like with long hair and all that?

but I do like the boyish look and if you play it right, you can get into good places in the industry.

Your voice is nice and workable.

The bad: (what you feel are their weak points)

hmm. your voice needs more control and power. your looks, i can't really base it on

one pic but maybe define more of your style and show yourself through your looks

Further improvements: (what you feel they need to do to further improve)

like i said before. pretty much work on keeping your voice stable and powerful(: && find a way to work your unique look to your advantage. :D

mluvzsx3

Picture: (this is judged out of 5 though if there is no picture than ignore this). 3/5 - i think if you style the right way and promote yourself the right way, you'll be set(: it all depends on how you

Singing: (this is judged out of 10)

6/10 i was looking for covers of this song on youtube but few turned up!! I smiled when i read the title of the song because I love listening to covers of songs.. and since im really loving this song.. haha xD oh and props for doing the harmonies (nice) :D

The good: (what you feel are their strong points)

Singing. It seems you've got basic controls on your voice tone wise. as in you can hit most of the notes.

Which is good news. Your looks. you're pretty and i have a feeling the lighting there is working against you

because i can't tell much :/ But it still looks nice. are you wearing eyeliner? mascara? if not, you should

try it, i'd like to see because usually, they enhance your eyes and it looks more fierce & bold.

The bad: (what you feel are their weak points)

Singing. You need to work on being stable. Throughout the whole song, i felt as if you were really shaky.

maybe practice holding notes and keeping them stable without the shakiness. shakiness means your voice

isn't strong and solid at all in the song. if you can master being solid and powerful, the song would be 2x better.

Looks. i think you're pretty but bluntly speaking for the korean entertainment company, your nose is shaped

sort of awkward like, which may just be the lighting and shadow on your face.

Further improvements: (what you feel they need to do to further improve)

controlling the shaky voice(: and stability. good luck.

Guest mluvzsx3

hbunnynote-Thank you for your critique XD

Hmmm so I was off tune and TOO MUCH VIBRATO? Haha I thought I was WEAK in vibrato... maybe.. possibly... my voice was just weak? :/ Anyways, thank you! Your critique helped a lot! :D (Although I have to say... you gave me too high of a singing rating... keke)

Haha yeah... I think I should put up a better lighting for pic... I feel like people are rating me too high on looks... lol...

Here's another pic... but just saying... I was like prepared to go to sleep so it's prob not hte best pic ahhaha.

(Picture ratings are all about to drop now.... hahha)

BETTER LIT?

jksk-huh? Haha I thought that your critique seemed right... I didn't think I looked boyish in my pic? XD

Guest hbunnynote

hbunnynote-Thank you for your critique XD

Hmmm so I was off tune and TOO MUCH VIBRATO? Haha I thought I was WEAK in vibrato... maybe.. possibly... my voice was just weak? :/ Anyways, thank you! Your critique helped a lot! :D (Although I have to say... you gave me too high of a singing rating... keke)

Haha yeah... I think I should put up a better lighting for pic... I feel like people are rating me too high on looks... lol...

Here's another pic... but just saying... I was like prepared to go to sleep so it's prob not hte best pic ahhaha.

(Picture ratings are all about to drop now.... hahha)

BETTER LIT?

jksk-huh? Haha I thought that your critique seemed right... I didn't think I looked boyish in my pic? XD

Well, 7/10= 70% = average? I don't know how everyone else here is grading but basically everyone failed everyone else so far haha (and boy, you guys have some high standards). And picture is still 4/5. When you sang that song, each line was pretty short, but you didn't use a straight tone to sing it so it sounded like vibrato was overused. Most singers (especially with more upbeat songs) don't use vibrato per each line (if that makes sense), but use straight tone until the end, where they taper off with vibrato. You're just singing the lines with vibrato. And I wouldn't call your voice weak... but it's not exactly strong either. Energetic/bright would fit better.

Guest mluvzsx3

hbunnynote-Ahhh really? still a 4/5??? Wow... thanks! :D

And hahah yeah, I am purposely judging extra hard because it seems like people have much higher standards in this thread XD

And ohhh thanks for your explanation! :D Haha your critique was really helpful!

As for your new clip(which I just saw now.. sorry for not critiquing earlier!)

Singing:4.5/10

Gahhhhh I still don't feel like it's the song for you. I feel like you sang this song a little bit more comfortably but you still sound like you are struggling at some parts but the parts that you aren't struggling sound good! I think the main thing you should work on is your higher range. Once you start hitting higher notes, you sound like you're straining. But I feel like once you get to the point where you can hit those notes your singing would be good :)

And makingwishes-Thank you for your critique! Haha my nose? And in the dark picture... I was very very lightly wearing eye liner and mascara becasue my mom made me for an event... haha... I put another pic of myself of basically... natural? And lol wow... I think I have gotten the most compliments on my looks in this thread... XP

But as for my singing... hahaha I am glad you liked the choice in song! XD And yes, I am hearing that my voice needs more strength/control and I agree lol. I have been trying to improve my singing and these critiques are really helpful!

Guest diddymax

Name: Kim

Height: 154

Weight: 49

Race/Nationality: Chinese

using webcam.. ^^

Picture0128.jpg

clip1: http://www.box.net/shared/55e5yrdbtr

clip2: http://www.box.net/shared/mbmimj8i67

Thanks!~

@ diddymax-

You have a nice voice, with a sweet distinct sound. i think that your control over your voice could use improvement, however. you don't seem too confident in your sound and your pitch is a little inconsistent and slides around. it also sounds like you're not singing out fully?

===

i was skipped ;-;

Guest strawberrykiss989

@ diddymax-

You have a nice voice, with a sweet distinct sound. i think that your control over your voice could use improvement, however. you don't seem too confident in your sound and your pitch is a little inconsistent and slides around. it also sounds like you're not singing out fully?

===

i was skipped ;-;

Hi teezed!

Hmm... I noticed people skipped you too...

Anyway here's my critique of you:

Singing: 9/10

The good: OMG it sounded really really good, like you didn't struggle with any notes (well I listened to it like four times and I couldn't hear you struggle at all!) You can seriously sing girl! Like loads of people think the Wonder Girls songs are a really easy to sing but they are actually quite high pitched even SNSD songs are like that too (well that's just my opinion anyway). Your rap too is awesome all the words are crystal clear.

The bad: I really don't what to say as a negative... I suppose it would have been better if you had a chosen a song which showcased your vocal range better. I say this because even though the Wonder Girls songs are difficult to sing as they are high pitched, they don't actually show off peoples vocals very well because the song doesn't command a very wide vocal range.

Further improvements: Choose another song that commands a wider vocal range and upload it again on here and I'll be willing to critique though I'm not a proffesional. :lol:

On a side note, seriously if you are moderately attractive (looks wise) I think you're pretty much guarenteed to be accepted by any entertainment company. Guessing by your song choice (I could be wrong) if it's JYP you have a really great chance in my opinion. Hmm... Guessing by your accent you're probably American-something like maybe Korean American?... I'm nosy... LOL! :D

Oh and thank you very much for critiquing others too! B)

Guest strawberrykiss989

Name: Kim

Height: 154

Weight: 49

Race/Nationality: Chinese

using webcam.. ^^

Picture0128.jpg

clip1: http://www.box.net/shared/55e5yrdbtr

clip2: http://www.box.net/shared/mbmimj8i67

Thanks!~

Hi diddymax!

Here's my critique of you:

Picture: 2/5 - The pictures quality isn't very good probably because it is a webcam picture so it might have affected my judging slightly. You have a sweet smile and look like you have double eylelids. However your skin looks tan (majority of Koreans like fair skin though you do have celebs like Lee Hyori so being tan isn't a major issue) and it doesn't look very clear though this may be because your pictures quality isn't very good. Also your nose looks large-ish and your cheeks are a bit full. Overall I wouldn't say you're unattractive but I don't think you're the look the Korean companies are looking.

Singing: 3.5/10

The good: You don't sound bad so you can sing and you're actually hitting some pretty high notes. I would compare your voice to Sunny from the Korean girl band SNSD.

The bad: You sound quite nasally and a bit off, also your voice is quite shaky and like teezed said, inconsistent...

Further improvements: Try to sing with your diaphragm more, strenghthen your voice and perhaps sing a song with a lower range because I noticed the part at the end of 'singing2' which was low your voice sounded better.

-Edit-

I know that my critique of you doesn't seem very promising, I judge harshly, sorry... But anyway I still think you can train your voice to be better because you can sing, your voice just needs more training thats all! :)

Guest dahye_is_here

hbunnynote: I'm guessing you're Chinese? Sorry if I'm wrong :P

- Picture: 3/5

- Singing: 4/10

I think that you lack a lot of support and confidence which makes your voice sound weak. You should learn to project your voice and sing from your diaphragm so you can sing with POWER! But, I do think that you have a nice tone and a cute smile! :)

diddymax:

-Picture: 3/5

-Singing: 3/10

I think that you should try songs that are in a lower range. When you reach the higher notes, it sounds pretty nasally and kinda squeaky? Hmm, it seems like you slide around in different keys when you're singing too. So, just make sure to keep it at a constant key so that you don't fall flat. I think you can make a lot of improvements with just more practice!

teezed

8.5/10

I would totally give you a higher score, but I can't really tell by the song you chose. So Hot doesn't really show much, in terms of vocal range and control, I guess. Uhhh, don't know what to call it, but yeah.

But OMG, your rap. Danggggggg, guuurlll.

Guest hbunnynote

hbunnynote -

I actually think you have a nice sounding voice when i first listened to your opening on "Everytime we touch", but there's not much power/support in the chorus. the tone you have is pretty much the same for most of the song, even though it's a softer song. your head voice is a bit shaky too. you have good pitch, but i think you need more control/power.

Work on: Power in your voice, it might be a range thing or technical/mic thing, but it sounds like you're singing on the surface. so maybe work on your breathing and technique to push more air out.

---

EDIT:

So Hot (English)

my singing sounds different in every song... some critiques on the rap would be good too! feat. yubin before her rap.

Singing: ?/10 Just wondering, did you sing the whole song in one go? I feel like you have a "thicker" or "fuller" voice that would work well with R&B or ballad songs rather than a bubbly kpop song (unless you want to prove me wrong, link me!). And i'd like to hear another song before I give you a rating, since even you yourself said that you sound different in every song.

Good: Good technique, straight tone, no messy stuff-- I like it :D I like your rap too, it's very clean cut (except for one line which I thought you dragged out a little too much).

Bad: Your mic quality lol. I think it takes away from the clarity of your voice.

Further improvements: You can try singing different genres of songs. Like someone else said before me, Wondergirls songs don't really showcase your voice. And get a new mic if you can... I think it would be worth it for you.

@ strawberrykiss989 -

thank you for the critique!! i know the other Wonder Girls' songs are harder (i tried Nobody... didn't go over too well LOL) but i personally think this is one of their easiest (of the most well known songs). i'll try a different song sometime in the future- i posted this one but i didn't record it specifically for this thread, it's just something recent that i did because i liked the song =)

uhh i don't know if i'm attractive looking, it really depends. sounds terrible, but in pictures i can seem photogenic if i try and i can't just myself in real life accurately. i need to lose some weight too xD

@ phwoar -

thank you so much!! =D

@ hbunny -

i think i did sing the song in one go, but it might have been the 2nd or 3rd time? it wasn't too difficult and no real overlapping parts, but i think i re-did it only because i went off pitch on the repeated notes (ex: "girl-irl-irl"). my voice is lower so i don't know good i would be at those pop-py songs, but i like them a lot so... xD i think i'll wait a few more days in relation to the rules, but i would like to post something again and hopefully you can determine a proper score then? my microphone is actually really good! i think just the quality of the mp3 made the vocals sound muddy and/or the reverb i put made it sound bleh(?). =D"

Archived