Can you make it mainly based on your voice?

Guest strawberrykiss989

Guest strawberrykiss989

Upload your own vocals to be critiqued and help to critique others too
Can you make it based mainly on your voice?

Well I saw a topic called [[can I Make It Based On Looks?]] and I was wondering whether there was a topic based more on vocals. There probably is though I’m not sure... Because even if you’re beautiful if you aren’t able to hold a tune then you’re probably more suited to being a model or actor/actress.

So I had an idea! Why not make a topic myself, a topic that we will judge each other realistically, objectively and fairly. If someone is not suited to singing why lie to them and say ‘yeah you’re great’. It’s better to tell someone to wake up and smell the coffee sooner rather than later.

A lot of us share one goal and that goal is to be able to sing professionally. For some their friends and family are unsupportive and they have no one to help listen to them sing and critique them. Many ask fellow soompiers to critique their singing, few do (well from what I've seen... I may be wrong again because I haven't been on Soompi for a loooooong time).

I want this topic to help everyone who dreams of making it and heres how it works. You budding singers who want to be critiqued so you can improve your singing are to upload your videos or audio clips for other users to comment on but there are rules...

The rules for those posting:

1. You can include these details about yourselves only if you want to:

Name:

Height:

Weight:

Race/Nationality:

2. Although this topic is specifically judging your voice you may post one (and I mean only one) picture though you must abide the picture guidelines which is:

·         The photo must actually be you.

·         The photo must be unedited.

·         Make up is allowed but wear it minimally.

·         The photo must be taken with you facing the camera directly. Do not take photos from odd angles!

·         The photo must only have you in it (though you may crop someone out preferably it is just a picture of you).

The reason for these guidelines is so that people will be able to critique you as a judge would. The judge will not see a walking, talking and singing photo shopped version of you on the day of the audition.

Though for those who do not wish to upload a picture then there is no need to do so.

3. You are allowed to upload a minimum of one video and maximum of two videos at a time. This is because I know that different songs bring out the best of your voice in different ways.

4. Now to be able to be critiqued you must critique a minimum of two members before you. This is for courtesy reasons. This is a rule that must be abided. As the saying goes what comes around goes around.

5. You must wait a whole week before you can ask to be critiqued again. This is to ensure you take whatever criticism and praise and give yourself proper time to improve. Also the songs uploaded must be different from the previous week.

5. Please, please, please, if you know you’re sensitive and can’t take criticism (especially harsh criticism) do not ask people to critique you. The truth hurts.

6. Absolutely no bullying, retaliating and revenge stuff. Be nice.

7. Whatever you’re told, use that to motivate you to improve. We’re here to help each other. Don’t feel sad just concentrate on improving.

8. If you’re told that you’re not cut out for singing don’t get upset! Some people just aren’t made for singing. Everyone is good in lots of other things, so develop another one of your interests.

The rules for those critiquing:

1. The format for critiquing is as follows:

Picture: (this is judged out of 5 though if there is no picture than ignore this).

Singing: (this is judged out of 10)

The good: (what you feel are their strong points)

The bad: (what you feel are their weak points)

Further improvements: (what you feel they need to do to further improve)

2. You must listen to the songs from beginning to end, don’t skip or you might miss something really good or something really horrible.

3. Be honest. Seriously don’t lie if the person is totally tone deaf don’t try to mollycoddle them. Tough love is still love.

4. But at the same time remember that they have feelings and telling someone their dreams realistically will never come true is hard. Perhaps suggest another field you think they will excel in such as modelling and etc.

Well that’s all the rules I can think of right now. If any of you have suggestions for rules just let me know!

Haha sorry if what I have typed above is slightly confusing. I have bad grammar and bad spelling... :sweatingbullets:

Anyway let the critiquing commence!

Oh and the first two people requesting to be critiqued will have to critique two people after them for courtesy reasons!

-Edit-

On reflection what I've written doesn't seem very centred on the voice but it is still the main focus.

Looks and who you are aren't really a factor to me anyway when you want to be a singer. After all what do singers do? They sing. So if you wish not to tell people anything and just upload a clip of you singing than thats cool.

We all know when it comes to actually auditioning a judge will judge you on two things, how you sound and how you look. Its a fact. If you're not pretty/handsome enough they may try to persuade you to have plastic surgery. Though of course there are plenty of popular singers who aren't what you normally call pretty like Minzy from 2NE1 and are completely plastic surgery free.

This is precisely the reason why I gave an option to add a picture instead of focusing 100% on vocals. If you notice in Korean idol groups normally there is a typical balance e.g. slightly pretty + amazing voice,  amazingly pretty + slightly good voice.

But I'd just like to say again, the focus of the topic i.e. 'the voice' remains unchanged.

Oooh on a side note, I do hope someone else will request to be critiqued too... Otherwise all this typing will be for nothing and I'll look quite daft... :tears:

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest strawberrykiss989

If it's only voice why do we need race weight and height? lol jw.

Yeah I thought someone might say that when I was re-reading it... :sweatingbullets:

It isn't important really, if someone opposes strongly to revealing their race I don't think anyone would care... None of us to my knowledge are extremely racist we're quite racially diversified on Soompi. Though telling us your race just gives us a general idea about your background which is what a judge would do anyway. But you're quite right in that the focus is on the voice. :)

Guest strawberrykiss989

Hmm since no one seems like they want to be critiqued I’ll be the first person to request to be critiqued for this topic then!

Name: Skye

Height: 158 cm

Race: Eurasian, half English and half Chinese

A picture of me just so you get a more general idea of how I look like apart from my avatar ( I know that I'm not very pretty the voice is what matters more in this topic):

Critique me please harsh comments do not faze me! For example even though I did start this topic if you don't think singing is for me just tell me so, I don't mind.:)

-Edit-

I'm very happy with the honest comments I got. I'm gonna work on my voice and upload more videos in the future.

Guest mluvzsx3

Picture: 2 (Entertainments usually want a more a V-shaped chin (sigh this is my prob too lol) and you look sort of old, but it may just be the make-up?)

Singing: (this is judged out of 10)6-7 (I think your voice was good butat some parts I felt like you were just talking to me... and I feel like your voice is more suited for YG style? )

The good:

Your range seems good. A lot of people can't go back and forth ebtween low and high notes like you did. And your voice went soft and rough at good times :)

The bad:

The timing seemed a little off sometimes, but it might just be me? And I noted that at some parts you start to lose your singing towards the end (mentioned above)

Further improvements:

Hmmm I am not really sure what to tell you to improve on since I am still an amateur in singing as well lol. I think that I just need to hear you sing another song to give you what to improve on because I think I basically mentioned the only things I had problems with in this vid.

Not sure what else to say XP Sorry if my criticism didnt seem too good...

Guest strawberrykiss989

Picture: 2 (Entertainments usually want a more a V-shaped chin (sigh this is my prob too lol) and you look sort of old, but it may just be the make-up?)

Singing: (this is judged out of 10)6-7 (I think your voice was good butat some parts I felt like you were just talking to me... and I feel like your voice is more suited for YG style? )

The good:

Your range seems good.  A lot of people can't go back and forth ebtween low and high notes like you did.  And your voice went soft and rough at good times :)

The bad:

The timing seemed a little off sometimes, but it might just be me?  And I noted that at some parts you start to lose your singing towards the end (mentioned above)  

Further improvements:

Hmmm I am not really sure what to tell you to improve on since I am still an amateur in singing as well lol.  I think that I just need to hear you sing another song to give you what to improve on because I think I basically mentioned the only things I had problems with in this vid.

Not sure what else to say XP   Sorry if my criticism didnt seem too good...

Hi!

Naw you're right I do look older than my years anyway (its been like this ever since I was 13...) people think my mum and I are sisters at times... :tears:

Thank you very much for taking the time to critique me, it is very much appreciated!

You mentioned that you're an amateur singer too why don't you upload some stuff to be critiqued. :)

Guest Imamonsterawr

no

sorry to tell you this but unless you have an amazingly beautiful voice you won't make it

your voice is very plain and has no specialness to it

nor are you beautiful

plus you have another thing that's wrong with you

you're not asian

like you can't even see a hint of asian on your face

I'm not trying to be mean, just honest

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

@strawberrykisses: Sorry to say but your voice is nothing special...You definitely need to take some lessons of you want them to notice you on singing alone.

As for your looks: Now that I saw you more clearly (the last time I judged you from only your avatar picture) You do look alot older than you are, which is a huge disadvantage to you when you audition. Kpop is known for a fresh youthful look...You look like you are in your twenties in that picture...If anything I suggest auditioning with just your bare face and no makeup on at all...Which might help you maybe get a 2% chance to get a callback at least.

Don't let my criticism discourage you and just audition for the experience at least, even if you won't get picked...Because at least you can tell yourself you tried, instead of thinking the "What if's" if you don't try at all.

Guest strawberrykiss989

Name: Pan-Dragon

Height: 165 cm

Race: Chinese

37191_1692145947953_1366914434_1934108_6576874_n.jpg

Me Singing :/

Criticism & comments are appreciated :)

Yay thank you for uploading some stuff to be critiqued!

Okay this is what I gotta say:

Picture: 3/5 - You probably get this a lot but you're kinda like Amber from f(x) and have a boyish charm to you, I don't know whether you like that comparison though...

Singing: 6/10

The good: Your voice is good, not excellent but good and as far as I can hear (even though I'm not Korean) the words pronunciation seemed to be pretty accurate. 

The bad: Your voice was quite quiet.

Further improvements: Try to sing louder and more clearly.

Sorry I'm no professional and these are just my thoughts but I do hope that I've helped in some way!:)

Guest strawberrykiss989

Oooh am liking the honesty! :)

no

sorry to tell you this but unless you have an amazingly beautiful voice you won't make it

your voice is very plain and has no specialness to it

nor are you beautiful

plus you have another thing that's wrong with you

you're not asian

like you can't even see a hint of asian on your face

I'm not trying to be mean, just honest

It's okay I understand that is why I uploaded my voice to be critiqued because I felt that my voice isn't very special either though I still love singing very much. Haha I know about the Asian thing, when I tell people I'm half Chinese their usually very shocked by it... Though recently I was told I looked 'coloured' by a girl in my school whatever that means I have noooo idea... Anyway thank you for taking the time to listen to the clip and comment! :D

@strawberrykisses:  Sorry to say but your voice is nothing special...You definitely need to  take some lessons of you want them to notice you on singing alone.

As  for your looks: Now that I saw you more clearly (the last time I judged  you from only your avatar picture) You do look alot older than you are,  which is a huge disadvantage to you when you audition. Kpop is known  for a fresh youthful look...You look like you are in your twenties in  that picture...If anything I suggest auditioning with just your bare  face and no makeup on at all...Which might help you maybe get a 2%  chance to get a callback at least.

Don't let my criticism  discourage you and just audition for the experience at least, even if  you won't get picked...Because at least you can tell yourself you tried,  instead of thinking the "What if's" if you don't try at all.

Oh no I don't feel discouraged at all... But yeah I have been considering vocal lessons for a long time to be honest and I guess I will enroll for them now but for classical singing. I feel like my pop singing voice isn't good so I should try to develop my classical voice. Yah I know I look old... Thats why I hate getting older because I'll look even older...T.T Oh well... But thank you too for taking the time to critique! :lol:

I really love Kpop and everything it has been my dream to be a singer in Korea ever since I was 13 (which may not seem for long but that was when I was first exposed to Kpop). But looking at the comments I think I might not be cut out for it after all so I'm considering joining the X-Factor in the UK for next year. But hey a girl can still dream right about being a Kpop singer right! So I'll practice some more and next week upload some vocals and hopefully people will critique me again to help me improve. B)

Guest Aero2042

Yay thank you for uploading some stuff to be critiqued!

Okay this is what I gotta say:

Picture: 3/5 - You probably get this a lot but you're kinda like Amber from f(x) and have a boyish charm to you, I don't know whether you like that comparison though...

Singing: 6/10

The good: Your voice is good, not excellent but good and as far as I can hear (even though I'm not Korean) the words pronunciation seemed to be pretty accurate. 

The bad: Your voice was quite quiet.

Further improvements: Try to sing louder and more clearly.

Sorry I'm no professional and these are just my thoughts but I do hope that I've helped in some way!:)

Thank you :) I think this thread was a really good idea. I personally hate giving criticism but I don't mind receiving it. Thanks again.

Guest mluvzsx3

Hmm... I guess it won't to try it... lol

Haha but I am curious about what ppl think about my voice... I have been trying to develop it since last year... but I still need a lot of help... SO let's see what people say lol

Name: Michelle

Height: 61 in

Weight: 114 lb

Race/Nationality: Korean-American

PICTURE:

PIC

ABOUT TO SLEEP! Haha.. such a diff from my other pic...

CLIP: http://www.box.net/shared/5exapqm5y5 (sorry for static... my microphone kinda went crazy)

Ahh this is a bad clip of my singing...besides the fact that it is not edited and no background lol. I just made it quickly so I will try to put up a better one later on...

And one where I am not trying to mimic the original singers lol

Guest strawberrykiss989

Hmm... I guess it won't to try it... lol

Haha but I am curious about what ppl think about my voice... I have been trying to develop it since last year... but I still need a lot of help... SO let's see what people say lol

Name: Michelle

Height: 61 in

Weight: 114 lb

Race/Nationality: Korean-American

PICTURE:

PIC

CLIP: http://www.box.net/shared/5exapqm5y5  (sorry for static... my microphone kinda went crazy)

Ahh this is a bad clip of my singing...besides the fact that it is not edited and no background lol. I just made it quickly so I will try to put up a better one later on...

And one where I am not trying to mimic the original singers lol

Hi Michelle! :lol:

I had a bit of free time after finishing my homework today so I thought I'd critique you:

Picture: 3/5 - Hmm... It's kinda hard to say really because the picture is slightly dim. I think a more brighter lighting will do you better justice. You seem to have a v-shaped face which is very popular, your skin also looks clear which is something all Korean idols seem to have. Though a slight criticism of your looks is that you do not seem to have double eyelids (it could be because of the lighting I don't know) but in my opinion monolids (I think that’s what they're called) are no less special than double eyelids. Another thing is your nose is slightly flared... Overall I say you're pretty but not stunning so you'll have to rely more on your talent.

Singing: 5/10

The good: I was unsure whether to give you a 6 or a 5 because I think the song doesn't do your voice justice. There were parts of the song you were very good and I'm being totally honest! But those moments were quiet brief. You were able to reach the high notes very easily. Like Aero2042 I can't judge your pronunciation because I don't speak Korean. But I think your voice has a lot of potential.

The bad: I settled on a 5 though because your vocals at some parts of the song were not controlled very well and was shaky.

Further improvements: Learn to control your voice better and choose a song which will show off your voice better and upload it so that we can judge you better.  ;)

Well that’s my critique of you; I judge harshly but also remember it's just my opinion so other people might think differently. Also I'm an amateur singer myself...

Oooh can I request that you please critique Aero2042 and another person after you who requests a critique whenever you are free. I ask this of you because the only way this topic will work is if we all help to critique each other so that we can improve. You don't have to critique me though because quite a few people have already critiqued me. :)

Guest mluvzsx3

Haha thank you for your honest criticism! I rarely get some... which is why I am tahnkful for this thread! XD

Hmm about my face shape... I am not sure how to judge it bc although at some angles it does look like I have a V-shaped chin, I have a squarish jaw as well... lol...

And yeah I had single eyelids XD

And for my singing... lol I thoguth that I should prob put up another song but I had to do something quickly and I decided to just do this song because it is what I was listening to at the moment.. hehe. And thank you again for the criticism! I have been trying to improve my singing for the past year... lol. Sadly I have improved the shakiness of my voice but I still need a lot of work XD

Ahhh you think my voice has potential? hehe that is good to hear although I am not sure if others will say the same lol

and of course! I will judge Aero ASAP! :D

EDIT:

Name: Pan-Dragon

Height: 165 cm

Race: Chinese

37191_1692145947953_1366914434_1934108_6576874_n.jpg

Me Singing :/

Criticism & comments are appreciated :)

Picture: 3/5

Ahhh lol sorry but I initially thought you were a guy... XD But i still think your looks are good :) Maybe a pic of yourself without your hat would help me judge better too? But yeah, like strawberrykiss, I do get that AMber vibe from you... hehe

Singing: 5/10

I honestly think you do have a nice voice but it seems really... airy and quiet. Because of that I have a feeling that its unstable sometimes. It seems like if you just strengthen you voice and your voice would be good :D

Good points:

Your voice has a calming effect to it. It's not like a lot of other voices where they just sing emotionless.. X)

Bad points:

Airy and sort of weak. You seem to have a little trouble hitting high notes and sing quietly. It makes you sound not confident in yourself...

Further improvements:

Try to strengthen your voice and sing louder :D

Guest strawberrykiss989

Thank you :) I think this thread was a really good idea. I personally hate giving criticism but I don't mind receiving it. Thanks again.

Hi Aero2042! :)

You're welcome for the critique!

Do ya really think this thread is a good idea? :lol: I don't think others agree though... So far only you, Michelle and I have uploaded stuff... :sweatingbullets:

Well I do agree that it is hard to tell people something unpleasant but it is good for them to know... ;) So that they can improve!

Ooh on a side note I forgot to mention last time that I'm really envious of your skin, it's milky, white and clear!!!

Haha thank you for your honest criticism!  I rarely get some... which is why I am tahnkful for this thread! XD

Hmm  about my face shape... I am not sure how to judge it bc although at  some angles it does look like I have a V-shaped chin, I have a squarish  jaw as well... lol...

And yeah I had single eyelids XD

And for  my singing... lol I thoguth that I should prob put up another song but I  had to do something quickly and I decided to just do this song because  it is what I was listening to at the moment.. hehe.  And thank you again  for the criticism!  I have been trying to improve my singing for the  past year... lol.  Sadly I have improved the shakiness of my voice but I  still need a lot of work XD

Ahhh you think my voice has potential?  hehe that is good to hear although I am not sure if others will say the same lol

and of course!  I will judge Aero ASAP! :D

Hi Michelle,

Oh you're welcome for the critique too!

Yup I do think your voice has potential you just need to practice to control your voice better.

Oooh I saw that you judged Aero2042, thank you!

When you sing another song I'll be happy to critique you again if you don't mind.:)

Guest mluvzsx3

hahaa i'll be happier if you critique! But there is something that I wanted to ask. in the rules it says that I have to wait a week to asked to be critiqued again but then I can upload two clips of myself at once...

So do I wait a week to upload another clip or can I just add onto my previous one?

And I agree with Aero about this being a good idea... It's just a nnew thread so people prob haven;t gotten around to it yet XD

Guest strawberrykiss989

hahaa i'll be happier if you critique!  But there is something that I wanted to ask.  in the rules it says that I have to wait a week to asked to be critiqued again but then I can upload two clips of myself at once...

So do I wait a week to upload another clip or can I just add onto my previous one?

And I agree with Aero about this being a good idea... It's just a nnew thread so people prob haven;t gotten around to it yet XD

Oh yeah you're quite right about the rules and now that I think about it the rules kinda contradict each other...

The reason why I said to wait a week was because it would give people time to absorb the comments they were given and then work on their vocals. And as you know I said you can upload a maximum of two clips because people do sing differently with different songs.

In your case it is fine to just add on to your previous post. You don't need to wait a whole week. I was just worried people would be uploading like two clips every single day!

Hmm... I think you're right about it being a new thread and people not getting around to it yet...:D

Guest mluvzsx3

ohhh ahha ok! Thanks for clarifying :) That makes sense XD I will try to upload a new clip of myself singing a ballad tomorrow then :D

And yup, I mean I think that majority of people would want to know how people think of their singing than their looks since everyone always sees how you look but not al ot of people know how you sound. For instance, I never sing to my friends... lol. XD Once people start noticing this thread, they will prob put up clips. (THere is also the chance that some people are too shy to get their singing critiqued as well...)

thks =)

critique: (sorry, my english sucks =( )

strawberrykiss989: i can't see any pictures or videos, sorry =(

aero042: 

-picture: 3 of 5. you have a boyish style, but you're cute and your skin is better than almost every asian people i know =D

-singing: 5 of 10.

-strong: good potential, pleasant voice.

-weak: i think you have to work hard in your technique if you wanna be a singer in korea (asia).

mluvzsx3: 

-picture: 4 of 5. 

-singing: 3 of 10.

-strong: good look. =D but if you wanna be a idol in korea, you have to be able to surgery plastic =/.

-weak: if you be a singer, you will be a visual one. u know, your singing is not good enough to give you a chance to be a famous singer.

i'm sorry. i really don't like to critique people =( 

Archived