Cast for the New Huan Zhu Ge Ge (Princess Pearl) Remake

Guest Memories

Guest 87kitsune

hey guys,

sorry if it's been already asked, but when is it gonna be aired?

although the cast doesn't seem very appealing (Zi Wei = fail) i think i'll give it a try, at least the first epi...just to see if they destroyed it like they did in HZGG3 (only saw the 1st ep, it was too painful to keep watching lol)

and random thought, would it be possible to have a HD version of the original series? i'd love to have that!!

thx!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest woaihuanzhugege

hey guys,

sorry if it's been already asked, but when is it gonna be aired?

-The date has not been confirmed yet.  It is expected to air in 2011.  Filming is still in progress.  New My Fair Princess will be 80 episodes and they are filming everything all at once.  Please join the official Facebook Page for updates.  =)

although the cast doesn't seem very appealing (Zi Wei = fail) i think i'll give it a try, at least the first epi...just to see if they destroyed it like they did in HZGG3 (only saw the 1st ep, it was too painful to keep watching lol)

and random thought, would it be possible to have a HD version of the original series? i'd love to have that!!

thx!

-I can ask about this for you.  However, I thought that HD had to be filmed in HD... ?  This was the impression I got when TVB started filming their dramas in "HD".  If that's the case, then your request is not possible...  Actually, the quality of the TW DVD releases are superb.  It was such a big visual difference for me when I saw the dramas again in DVD.  The colors were super vibrant.  So, if you would like to collect HZGG, I would advise you to buy the TW released DVDs. 

Guest 87kitsune

@woaihuanzhugege

yeah, i thought so too, it shouldn't be possible to change the blurry images already filmed lol...i'll check the TW DVD then...thanks for your help!

Guest B L o T T - ii

I feel that the original version of Princess Pearl is already so well made that no remakes can be as good.

Usually with mainland remakes i have an issue with poor acting, dragging plots and a comparison in my head with the original.

I wish they'd come up with new stories and such, instead of remaking something that's already a classic and a favourite, because imo, it's never as good as the original.

^ they are. If you follow the official blog, Auntie Chiungyao says that she has re-written the script and added new characters. For instance, Xiao Yan Zi is gonna have a foreign love interest and Wu Ah Ge's mother, Yu Fei, is going to be in the drama.

I'd also like to point out that this remake should not be defined as a "mainland China remake." The grandmother (Tai Ho) is played by Liu Xue Hwa, who is a popular Taiwanese/Hong Kong actress and who in her younger days was the star of Auntie's dramas. In addition, the team that Auntie is working with are the same people who brought you the original version.

Daaang though, 80 episodes?? I was wondering how she was gonna fit everything into the drama because she's combining parts 1-3 all in one. It makes sense though if it's gonna be 80 episodes. After carefully reading through the blog and Auntie Chiungyao's comments, I've changed my expectations about this remake. I think I've come to accept it not as an attempt to replace the original, but a chance for Auntie to correct all the mistakes and imperfections of the original version. Although I'm not entirely happy with the casting of the leads, I do have more positive expectations for them; and it's a bit unfair to them since they have big shoes to fill in. Anyway, gonna choose to believe in Auntie's decision and can't wait for this to air!

Guest woaihuanzhugege

Yup, 70% of the plot will be new...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Again, if you would like updates, please join the OFFICIAL Facebook Fan Page for the "New My Fair Princess" (New Huan Zhu Ge Ge). 

OFFICIAL Facebook Fan Page

Also, a lot of videos have been uploaded to the OFFICIAL Youtube Channel so please check those out too~

I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised when you hear the cast's real voices. =D

If you like what you see, please show us some <3 by clicking 'Like' on the Youtube video pages.  And please subscribe to our Youtube channel for immediate updates!

OFFICIAL Youtube Channel

I'll be back to answer questions or you can always find me on the Facebook Page.

Here's a slideshow of the Christmas pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUcYPCKLKH4&hd=1

It's in HD.  Enjoy!

Cheers!

-Debby 小影 (one of the admins of the official FB Fan Page)

Guest B L o T T - ii

^ they are. If you follow the official blog, Auntie Chiungyao says that she has re-written the script and added new characters. For instance, Xiao Yan Zi is gonna have a foreign love interest and Wu Ah Ge's mother, Yu Fei, is going to be in the drama.

Oh really?! thanks for letting me know haha. I'm glad the script has been changed. I'm definitely watching it now :D Hopefully the actors won't let me down.

Guest happipplrock

SAY WHATTTTT? This drama is my childhood! I watched it over and over again because of the actresses and actors in it.

I'm definitely not tuning in since nothing beats the original. No Vicky Zhao= FAIL!

Guest woaihuanzhugege

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share some pics:

李 晟 飾 小燕子 Li Sheng as Xiao Yan Zi

1214-12.jpg

1214-13.jpg

張 睿 飾 永 琪 Zhang Rui as Yong Qi

1128-33.jpg

李佳航 飾 福爾康 Li Jia Hang as Er Kang

海 陸 飾 夏紫薇 Hai Lu as Zi Wei

1214-32.jpg

邱心志 飾 乾 隆 Qiu XinZhi as Emperor QianLong

林心如 飾 夏雨荷 Ruby Lin as Xia Yu He

1010-01.jpg

鄧萃雯 飾 皇 后 Sheren Tang as Empress 

方青卓 飾 容嬤嬤 Fang QingZhuo as Rong MoMo

0831-05.jpg

邱心志 飾 乾 隆 Qiu XinZhi as Emperor QianLong

海 陸 飾 夏紫薇 Hai Lu as Xia Zi Wei

1010-03.jpg

Again, please visit and 'Like' our OFFICIAL New My Fair Princess (New Huan Zhu Ge Ge) Facebook Page if you are interested in the upcoming remake.

New My Fair Princess Facebook Page

Also, please subscribe to our OFFICIAL Youtube Channel as well:

New My Fair Princess Youtube Channel

-admin of the Official New My Fair Princess Facebook Page  =D

Guest onesweetflavor

I think they shouldn't have a remake. I mean the original was already so epic, it just feels weird with the new cast. Not saying that they are ugly or anything but I'm just so use to the old cast, I don't feel like these actors and actress fit the role. well, I still wish the cast good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OLOtheDemigoddess

After having seen the original series at least 8 times, I've fallen in love with the entire original cast and am sort of iffy about the new series.

I actually didn't like EITHER of the sequels. Nearly all the characters, although portrayed by the same actors, all seemed to act out of character. There were a few positives - better music, more development on Xiao Yan Zi and Yong Qi's relationship... but too many negatives. Xiao Yan Zi was my all-time favourite character, my hero when I was 5 yrs old. In the 1st season, she was tomboyish, but also innocent, naive, childlike, loveable. She was impulsive and free-spirited, but they were her good points, not her flaws. When I saw the 2nd season, I was about 11 and I hated how her personality had become exaggerated to the point of recklessness just to serve as a plot point for the Empress Dowager to dislike her. She let her helpless, blind sister get kidnapped and if not for Er Kang Zi Wei would have been forced into prostitution. On the other hand, Zi Wei appeared to be a little less gentle (still a damsel in distress, but Qing Er seems to act more like Zi Wei than Zi Wei herself) Furthermore, the emperor was always hot-headed, but never cruel. The 1st-season emperor wouldn't have sentenced the two princesses - one of them Yu He's daughter - to death. He may have given the order, but he would have relented. At least, he would have relented sooner than a few months or whatever. And finally, the scene in the season 1 finale when Zi Wei combed the Empress's hair and begged the Emperor for his forgiveness - the way the Empress looked at Zi Wei ... that was so beautiful. In a Hollywood movie, eg. Ever After, the Empress would have been punished in some way or another. But that was just... perfect. The way they had to bring her back as a villain in the 2nd season was really disheartening after that scene. Both finales were good, but the season 1 finale was spectacular. Perfect way to end the show - the 3 couples and Jin Suo riding on horseback, singing happily with joy. The season 2 finale made me laugh, but the season 1 finale really made me sit back, smile and sigh happily seeing how far all the characters had come from episode 1. Season 2 didn't have that effect, and I won't even talk about season 3.

The new season? I really don't know what to think. It's funny cuz in my opinion, the original wasn't even that long ago to warrant a remake... On the one hand I understand how much it means to the author, and how difficult it must feel for the new cast. Sure, the original had its flaws; the quality isn't perfect, the music doesn't always seem to match the scene, the dialogue was sometimes extremely long-winded and now that I'm older the Chinese concept of qing yong seems... a bit stupid...  but it was definitely a classic, and irreplacable. The original cast brought life and soul to the characters, so much that I, and I'm sure many others, when googling images of 'Vicky Zhao Wei' or 'Ruby Lin' feel like the actresses were born in the wrong century.

The new cast is a bit... meh. (NOTE: Any of the new cast which I don't mention here basically have my approval) I will start off by saying that maybe it's just me, but the original hair/make-up/costumes were better. The new hairdos don't look realistic enough - it seems way too obvious that the actors are all wearing wigs. Although I believe screenshots or short clips would be a more reliable way to judge them, they mostly seem to be able to pull off a cutesy look but little else. Li Shang was chosen clearly because she's a Vicky Zhao Wei lookalike, and she does look cuter in those photos but appears to lack Vicky's charm. Hai Lu... doesn't have the right look, to be honest. To quote the OP, not only was Ruby Lin stunningly beautiful but she could pull off the mature, wise, nostalgic and intelligent look... Hai Lu is pretty, but seems as if she's better suited to a role in a live-action version of Sailor Moon. Also, no man can replace Alec Su in portraying Yong Qi. And certainly not one who looks like he can't even legally drink yet. (in this century, at least). I never liked the original Er Kang in terms of looks, but He Ming Han looks way too young to play a nobleman who's past his age for marriage, and like Hai Lu, just doesn't seem to fit his role as a deeply romantic and passionate lover for Zi Wei. However, the new Zi Wei/Er Kang seem to go together in that aspect. From that photo of their hug their relationship seems like it's taking a more light-hearted turn compared to the 1st season. Not sure if I like that. I always loved Xiao Yan Zi/Yong Qi's relationship because it was really cute and a refreshing change from the melodramatic Romeo & Juliet romance between Er Kang and Zi Wei, but I liked having two completely different romances to enjoy just like I liked the two radically different sisters.

Moving on to the older cast - Qian Long was a spectacular character in season 1, and I will go so far as to say that Zhang Tielin was the best actor in the whole series. There were so many scenes where he acted his part with mere facial expressions, no words. When Xiao Yan Zi confronts him with "If you truly believed I was your biological daughter, then by announcing that I was an adopted princess were you not deceiving the public?!" the look on the Emperor's face says it all. The new Qian Long is under a lot of pressure, and he looks... OK... again seems to lack the charm, but we'll see. I have to say I'm VERY disappointed in the cast of the Empress and Rong Mo Mo. The Empress in the original HZGG was vicious but she wasn't ugly; in fact she had the mature look of a woman who could have been very pretty when she was younger. And that was actually part of her character; her bitterness and cruelty derived from the fact that she craved the Emperor's attention and love but no longer had it. The new Empress just looks toad-faced. Rong Mo Mo, as the villainess's sidekick, actually LOOKED vicious in season 1. Her face scared me when I was little. The new Rong Mo Mo just looks fat. (And ugly.) She looks like one of those ugly but nice people. Not vicious and scheming. *sigh*

The white guy should go back to 18th century FRANCE. Cinderella's waiting for him at the ball.

It's true that I am slightly biased having seen and fallen in love with the original show and cast, but a classic movie/TV series requires actors/actresses who can truly bring their characters to life, so much that they actually LOOK like the personalities they are meant to portray. I am actually reluctant to watch Romance in the Rain despite the number of positive reviews simply because I don't see Vicky Zhao as an actress who played Xiao Yan Zi - I see that face and I automatically think it is Xiao Yan Zi. In the wrong century. (Same goes for Ruby Lin and Alec Su).

I won't go out of my way to watch this remake. If I hear a lot of positive reviews, I might give it a try. If Qiong Yao has plans to try and fix her mistakes (better dialogue/less flying through the air), it could be worth giving the remake a chance. However, seeing how the cast is cutesy but lacks the classic feel of the original, I suspect that at best, it will turn out to be good for what it was. A fair attempt at reviving some of the magic. At worst, it will turn out to be a question of which HZGG season was worse; season 3 or season Hello Kitty?

• 2 weeks later...

uh... I see this new Xiao Yan Zhi have a lil mole on her face...thats.. just weird... lol and no offense or anything, to be honest, the 4 new main casts here... are not pretty. At least, their face don't seem like they fit the role at all. When comparing these casts to the old one, the Old one definitely stand out more in almost every way. Except I'm kinda interested in Sheren Tang is playing the Queen, and Leanne Liu is the Empress Dowager (or the king's mother). Those two are the only familiar, veteran actress I know, the rest are just weird casts.

In the old series, although the cast from season 1 and 2 was change in season 3, but it wasn't uncomfortable. In fact, they did a great job and we don't notice that big of a difference. All I thought was the Xiao Yan Zhi in s3 was more mature but still very cute. I don't think I could imagine Xiao Yan Zhi in s2(or Vicki) could act as mature or it would've become weird. I also like Leo Ku (from another classic, Romance in the Rain). Another way of putting it is well it just feels like they just evolves...when they change s3. The changes were nice and I don't think it received much criticism.

If this new Huan Zhu Ge Ge try to overtake the original in appearance-wise, that would almost be impossible, but if their acting is promising enough it might be a different story. Still, I dont think I can't help but notice that mole on new Xiao Yan Zhi's face lol. (Should it even be there?) Thats a Fail for me I guess. I wont think about watching this unless it have good ratings or so.

• 4 weeks later...

I've joined Soompi for well over a year now, but this is actually my first post.

Sorry, but there's something I need to get off my chest after reading most of the messages in this thread.

Unlike so many of you on this forum, I'm actually REALLY looking forward to seeing this. Sure, the original is WAY better, but at least having this remake is better than nothing at all. At least I'D rather have this than nothing. After all, I don't think the author will be continuing the HZGG story after the disaster that was HZGG 3. You just have to think of this as a spin-off or a completely different story, just ignore the title. To the people bashing/criticizing this remake, you haven't even SEEN an episode, you're judging the actors on their looks and not their acting, which I think is unfair on the actors. If you don't like what you see, then don't watch it. Simple as that. Don't ruin it for others, like myself, who genuinely want to see the remake. Give the actors a chance, they might surprise you. What they DON'T have in LOOKS, they could make up for in their ACTING. It's the acting that's important. I'm sorry for this rant, but I'm sick and tired of people complaining that the actors are wrong, or ugly, or not right, which in my opinion, is discriminating against them. Instead of criticizing Auntie's decision to do a remake and to cast these actors, we all should give her our support. As a true fan of HZGG, I'd watch anything, good, bad or downright ugly, without any complaints. I'm not fussy about what I see, unlike many of you. After all, who knows what could happen? IT could turn out to be a LOT better than HZGG 3! Stranger things have happened. Everyone has different ideas of what they want the actors to be like, or to look like, but you can't always have your way. The actors have already been cast, and most of the show has already been filmed, so deal with it. Like I said before, don't like, don't watch, that's MY opinion. Sorry, but the messages some people wrote on here really ticked me off, it made me feel protective of the new actors, the new cast, etc. hehe, sorry again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest woaihuanzhugege

Hi everyone!

News Flash! New Huan Zhu Ge Ge (New My Fair Princess) wrapped up filming 03.10.2011.

Please join the OFFICIAL Facebook Fan Page for updates, info, pictures and videos!

Official New Huan Zhu Ge Ge Facebook Fan Page

Here is the Official YouTube Channel

New Huan Zhu Ge Ge YouTube

Again, the plot is 70% new.  However, Auntie still kept the best parts from the original versions:

Just wanted to share this picture from the scene in which Zi Wei chases Xiao Yan Zi and helplessly cries out to Er Kang

Looks familiar?  Did you get goosebumps yet? because I surely did when I saw this picture

0118-35.jpg

The new Xiao Yan Zi and Yong Qi look really cute together.  Here's a BTS picture of them:

074d5ce270g76028d4f9dd8690.jpg

Here's a slideshow of "Rain Butterfly" which contains a lot of awesome pictures.  Hope you will enjoy watching it.

新還珠格格 - 雨蝶 Rain Butterfly

• 5 weeks later...
Guest snowqueen00

nice cute i can't wait for it heheh:D

is anyone know is this drama still in filming? or finished?

Many Thankz....

• 2 weeks later...

^^@snowqueen00 actually they finished filming in April so now they are just editing and putting together the whole dramas. It's almost summer so I bet soon we will get to see some trailers or previews at it. I can't wait for it either. :w00t:

Guest severus

To be honest, wasn't anticipating the remake... but I don't think I could pass up on it, it is 环珠格格 after all.

Part of me wants watch just to see if it's really as much as a flop as everyone (including myself) expects it to be, part of me wants to if this new cast can bring some new light and a breath of fresh air to the timeless classic.

The key is probably to not hold expectations for the series too high... or immense disappointment will ensue, like with HZGG3.

Still not sure if changing 70% of the plot was a wise choice... but I guess it was better to take that risk than to have the same plot, and have viewers criticize the entire execution of it based on comparisons.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Khikarugal

Ok...as much as I love the old one, I'm gonna try the new one. The pics above look interesting...the girls playing Zi Wei and Xiao Yan Zi almost looks like Ruby Lin and Vicki Zhao but not quite. There's a white guy? lol what's he gotta do with the story now...oh well. Gotta watch to find out. Wonder if he's gonna be Yong Qi's rival coz I see a lot of pics of him with Xiao Yan Zi. The new Yong Qi isn't as handsome as the old one but he's okay. xD

Archived