Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

I'm writing on my phone now with really slow public wifi, so I'll  just tag rather than quote.

@moonstrike I do recall one time JW used his Lee Kang To shouting voice instinctively rather than being asked. It was the time when he, Sung Si Kyung and Uhm Tae Woong lost the morning game so they had to act as scarecrows for the afternoon. JW uses that voice when he's yelling to scare off the birds (and then UTW scolded him for driving away a good kind of bird that would eat the insects that attack the crops).

Ok, the bad signal is getting really annoying right now, so I'll come back later when I'm on my computer again with more replies and pics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

@moonstrike I do recall one time JW used his Lee Kang To shouting voice instinctively rather than being asked. It was the time when he, Sung Si Kyung and Uhm Tae Woong lost the morning game so they had to act as scarecrows for the afternoon. JW uses that voice when he's yelling to scare off the birds (and then UTW scolded him for driving away a good kind of bird that would eat the insects that attack the crops).

Haha... i remember that! Its funny because he was wearing a scarecrow outfits and his face was drawn by red pen. Also his hands can't be bent because there was a stick that is inserted into his clothes. So he has to walk and run with open arms while maintaining his balance. And also he uses his lee kang to voice to scare the birds but after uhm tae woong said that the bird is important, joo won immediately use his aegyo voice again to call the bird back. he is very cute and funny.

By the way, talking about 1N2D, i found this video on youtube and its very cute. 

If you watch 1N2D and read some blog about it, you might be know that sometimes fans is seeing joo won and sung shi kyung as a couple. And this is some proove!

And this cute montages of joo won and sung shi kyung...

And duet of joo won and sung shi kyung. Their voice is so tender and makes me calm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moonstrike said:

And also he uses his lee kang to voice to scare the birds but after uhm tae woong said that the bird is important, joo won immediately use his aegyo voice again to call the bird back. he is very cute and funny.

Oh, yeah - he did try to call it back, didn't he? It didn't work, but I think it's funny that he tried :tongue: 

14 hours ago, moonstrike said:

Yeah... i love it too! I've seen many manager that making his celebrity suffer and just consider them as working partner only. The manager and the artist is not working so well like friends. But when i watched lifelog, i feel like their relationship is like bestfriend. I remember one episode, when joo won took a snack from one of the managers(?), angel manager realized it and immediately ran to take more snacks for joo won in his car then gave it immediately to joo won. it also happens when joo won hurt his hand while shooting CF. angel manager immediately took the plaster to cover the wound. 

This all makes me wonder - what happens to Angel Manager while JW's in the military? It's not like the agency can assign him to someone else, since JW will be back in 2019 and it wouldn't be fair to anyone involved (JW, Angel Manager, or whoever he's assigned to the interim if that does happen) to be messing around with the assignments that way, but....yeah, I have no idea how this works :tongue: 

Finally, thanks for the video - I really like seeing Sung Si Kyung and JW together; they make a really sweet hyung-dongsaeng pair :) 

And now for my pictures. Today's Throwback Thursday again, and this time, I've compiled a bunch of photos from "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu" that have all recently come onto my radar:

Spoiler

Does anyone else remember this moment? I'd forgotten about it until I saw these pics again, and now I'm like, "Oh, yeah - that was cool."

(Extra shout-out to the really psychedelic 1980s wall art in the background :tongue:)

Loving the vintage phone as well

And, finally, my favourite out of today's set of photos:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

Oh, yeah - he did try to call it back, didn't he? It didn't work, but I think it's funny that he tried

Joo won is always showing his funny and cute behavior in 1N2D. And before he started in 1N2D, there's news and fans wrote in one forum said that he's not like a human or he is perfect. But after seeing him in the show, the fans said that joo won is also a human. There is one episode that showing him woke up in the morning and he see some food that already eaten by the other members, and without thinking he eat that leftovers. Writing on the screen saying that joo won has become a beggar. :lol: 

Or when he sleep with his mouth open beside kim seung woo. Joo won said it was dirty (he means that himself is dirty because sleeping with his mouth open) in win win. But the member and audience said that he was cute. We know that he was tired because filming all day and after that he immediately go to an island to shooting 1N2D. The island is so far, by the way. And the situation is suporting to sleep after working all night (rainy and warm). So he just sleep there while hugging his older hyung. 

This all makes me wonder - what happens to Angel Manager while JW's in the military? It's not like the agency can assign him to someone else, since JW will be back in 2019 and it wouldn't be fair to anyone involved (JW, Angel Manager, or whoever he's assigned to the interim if that does happen) to be messing around with the assignments that way, but....yeah, I have no idea how this works :tongue: 

Yeah. I also thought about it. What does angel manager do when joo won runs his conscription? Maybe he'll rest at home until joo won back or he's assigned to do other tasks but not as a manager, that is working in the office.

By the way, I've heard that angel manager and joo won are in the same age so maybe he also runs his military service or if he's already done it before, as I said he did another job. :lol:

Finally, thanks for the video - I really like seeing Sung Si Kyung and JW together; they make a really sweet hyung-dongsaeng pair :) 

There are more videos like that on youtube. You can search it yourself :D. By the way, talking about bromance, I've read fanfic about lee kang to and shunji. At first I felt that this fanfic just like their fierce fanfic and a lot of the action but the longer the fanfic is getting erotic and hot. There is a scene about shunji and lee kang to XXX (you know what i mean). I stopped in the middle and did not continue reading the fanfic until now. :astonished:

Pictures!

He looks so happy. His eyes is sparkling!

Its been a long time since joo won enlistment. Now we have to wait 407 days. Such a long time, right?

This scene is so funny!

In this post, the fans is talking about joo won's hands. They said his hands is so big but his face is so small. And there is one comment said that his hands is big like his heart. :wub:

http://m.dcinside.com/view.php?id=joowon&no=318152&page=1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moonstrike said:

Joo won is always showing his funny and cute behavior in 1N2D. And before he started in 1N2D, there's news and fans wrote in one forum said that he's not like a human or he is perfect. But after seeing him in the show, the fans said that joo won is also a human. There is one episode that showing him woke up in the morning and he see some food that already eaten by the other members, and without thinking he eat that leftovers. Writing on the screen saying that joo won has become a beggar. :lol: 

Oh, yeah - I remember that. JW was both really hungry and still half-asleep; I remember the "meong" face he had there. :wink: 

I think that variety shows have that as a benefit: just showing how human celebrities are, but in a good way (i.e. not by, say, revealing scandalous behaviour, but just by showing them doing everyday things). Not all variety shows are like that - I definitely know a lot of North American reality shows aren't - but I like that aspect of the Korean shows. :) 

By the way, I've heard that angel manager and joo won are in the same age so maybe he also runs his military service or if he's already done it before, as I said he did another job. :lol:

Really? I didn't know they were the same age, but that might explain their close friendship. All this time, I thought that Angel Manager was the hyung - because he seems to be the more level-headed of the two of them. :tongue: Not that JW isn't level-headed, too, because he is, but he seems to be more naive whereas Angel Manager comes across as the leader more often than not.

By the way, talking about bromance, I've read fanfic about lee kang to and shunji. At first I felt that this fanfic just like their fierce fanfic and a lot of the action but the longer the fanfic is getting erotic and hot. There is a scene about shunji and lee kang to XXX (you know what i mean). I stopped in the middle and did not continue reading the fanfic until now. :astonished:

LOL - Welcome to the world of fanfiction! :cold_sweat:

Don't get me wrong - I sympathize with you entirely here, @moonstrike! It's just that I've been part of this fanfiction-writing thing for so long that I've learned to expect the vast majority of fics involving any sort of pairing (either between a guy and a girl, two guys, or two girls) to end up turning out that way. The same goes for fanart, for that matter.

Personally, I've become pleasantly surprised at how innocent some of the K-drama fanfic and fanart I've seen has been so far - but this sort of thing happens with fanfiction devoted to anime and manga, and Western movies/dramas/books/etc. all the time.

So, I'd react the same way as you, but forgive me if I'm also a bit, "Oh, you - you're still so innocent...." about the whole thing. :tongue: 

And now you know why I write the stuff I do, and am very clear as to my own boundaries; it's not just about my own comfort zone, but to make sure that I could provide a guaranteed safe space for any readers who want an author they could trust not to write X-rated stuff. :) 

So...let me try to help you out with some fics that are more about, say, cutesy romance/bromance :) 

Spoiler

Okay, you can't show me pictures like these, and then tell me that Cha Yoo Jin's entirely averse to skinship :tongue: 

22e25d7b77888b1b7e4195c75c1c760b.jpg

(I'm probably cheating with this last one, since it's a behind the scenes photo rather than a screenshot, but still - CUTE!)

A cute picture from "Fashion King"

7ad68c91da7886450043d39c0b608631.jpg

And we can't forget the (platonic) bromance between these three goofballs:

edec9eb10c55f25682368cf4a8bc6b90.jpg

This one's from "Level 7 Civil Servant"

0391bb398310d5318449b08a60adb4df.jpg

Usually, in photos like these, it's the girls who are in charge of the aegyo. And then there's this guy....

And let's just go for straight-up real-life bromances:

With Sung Si Kyung....

Lee Se Wook....

Min Jin Woong...

And Uhm Tae Woong.

I...think that's enough brain bleach for now? :wink: 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I think that variety shows have that as a benefit: just showing how human celebrities are, but in a good way (i.e. not by, say, revealing scandalous behaviour, but just by showing them doing everyday things). Not all variety shows are like that - I definitely know a lot of North American reality shows aren't - but I like that aspect of the Korean shows. :) 

Yeah...it is one of the advantages of korean variety show. I've read in one blog or forum talking about a variety show korea. everyone in the comment section says that Korean variety shows show kinship, friendliness, and fun without physical violence or feelings. they say that the variety show in the American section is only concerned with ratings and money.

I've never watched variety shows in America but it seems to be true, because I've watched a bit of the clip. Lately, the korean variety show is already famous in America. Maybe they prefer the family-friendly kinda show than the other one.

35 minutes ago, kittyna said:

showing how human celebrities are, but in a good way (i.e. not by, say, revealing scandalous behaviour, but just by showing them doing everyday things).

From this show, the audience finally know the real joo won. They finally know Moon Jun Won not The Actor Joo Won and that makes them love him even more. I often read a post saying that first, she love him because of his acting and great looks. Then, she is falling in love with joo won even harder because she sees joo won in 1N2D. The cute maknae joo won. She said that he is very different from his character in the drama. And she falls deeper after knowing that joo won is a musical actor and can sing very well. I found those in youtube, instagram, Tumblr, DC gallery, twitter, facebook, blogs, fan diaries, and many more.

Here is one video about it:

This video is talking about her interest of joo won. The korean subtitle is talking about joo won. The meaning is different from the english subtitle. She just using the video and put her own subtitle.

42 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Really? I didn't know they were the same age, but that might explain their close friendship. All this time, I thought that Angel Manager was the hyung - because he seems to be the more level-headed of the two of them. :tongue: Not that JW isn't level-headed, too, because he is, but he seems to be more naive whereas Angel Manager comes across as the leader more often than not.

Actually, I think the same like you. First, I thought Angel manager is older than Joo won because seeing the manager behavior, you can tell he is like a leader. then I heard in his V app that Joo won using banmal with him. But we know that it was the habits Joo won so i'm not too think about it because I think that he and his manager's relationship is like brother. But after I read one post, I finally know that they have the same age. Quite surprising for me. 

52 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Personally, I've become pleasantly surprised at how innocent some of the K-drama fanfic and fanart I've seen has been so far - but this sort of thing happens with fanfiction devoted to anime and manga, and Western movies/dramas/books/etc. all the time.

At first, i was looking for a fanfic about gaksital, lee kang to, and mokdan. But i found that fanfic and quite interested to read it because it says that the fanfic is about friendship. So i read it, but i don't know that the story become like that.

55 minutes ago, kittyna said:

So, I'd react the same way as you, but forgive me if I'm also a bit, "Oh, you - you're still so innocent...." about the whole thing. :tongue: 

Haha. Its okay.. by the way, if you open the link that a gave earlier in this forum. You might be already know and read it. 

Part1

http://wp.me/P3RiIO-9f

Part2

http://wp.me/P3RiIO-aV

Part3

http://wp.me/P3RiIO-o0

this is my boundaries of reading fanfic. I can tolerate cute romance and also somewhat funny like this.

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

And let's just go for straight-up real-life bromances:

Looking at those photos makes me realize that joo won is really like bromance like this. He really has many boy friends but not so many girl friends. He also said that he prefer hanging out with friends and family than dating or going to blind date. And also in win win, he agree that he is a hyung-lovers. Hahaha.

More photos!

When he learn conducting.

Which one do you prefer? I like number 2, he looks manly here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moonstrike said:

Yeah...it is one of the advantages of korean variety show. I've read in one blog or forum talking about a variety show korea. everyone in the comment section says that Korean variety shows show kinship, friendliness, and fun without physical violence or feelings. they say that the variety show in the American section is only concerned with ratings and money.

I've never watched variety shows in America but it seems to be true, because I've watched a bit of the clip. Lately, the korean variety show is already famous in America. Maybe they prefer the family-friendly kinda show than the other one.

I don't really watch American reality/variety shows either, but from what I have seen or heard...I think there's a general difference in how they are used in the media. So, Korean variety shows are about trying to show the everyday personalities of celebrities, but American reality shows are more about making celebrities: i.e. they cast people who aren't famous to begin with, but popular cast members often become celebrities in their own right. But that encourages a certain degree of competition and one-up-man-ship that can lead to really exaggerated excesses of behaviour (e.g. full-on fights, lots of profanity, lots of sex, etc.) - because those who become famous are the ones who stand out from the rest of the crowd.

There's also the sort of American reality show that focuses specifically on those who are already rich and famous (e.g. the "Real Housewives" series or "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" - you may be familiar with those in Asia as well). And in those cases, rather than the emphasis that you see in Korean variety shows on how rich and famous people are ultimately people we can relate to, the focus is on the glamorous and hedonistic lifestyle that America's wealthiest people have, but oftentimes at the cost of healthy family relationships and friendships. So, again, lots of pretty stuff (designer brands, crazy parties, big houses, etc.), but not much heart - because people have literally had to sacrifice those in order to either obtain their wealth, or keep it (because friends might just like them for their money, so they can't be trusted).

There were a few shows that took rich and famous Americans and put them into, say, a farm setting or something like that - similar to how 1N2D or "Three Meals a Day" would work in Korea - but in those cases, the humour comes from their ignorance rather than their skill. Which, again, is the opposite of what I've seen from Korean variety shows like that.

From this show, the audience finally know the real joo won. They finally know Moon Jun Won not The Actor Joo Won and that makes them love him even more. I often read a post saying that first, she love him because of his acting and great looks. Then, she is falling in love with joo won even harder because she sees joo won in 1N2D. The cute maknae joo won. She said that he is very different from his character in the drama. And she falls deeper after knowing that joo won is a musical actor and can sing very well. I found those in youtube, instagram, Tumblr, DC gallery, twitter, facebook, blogs, fan diaries, and many more.

My own story's not so different from that. The actual route I took is different - since it was the 2010 KBS Chuseok Special that made me fall for Moon Jun Won for real, followed by interviews, and then 1N2D - but the point is still the same :wink: 

And, yes, I see a lot of stories about that - wasn't it jokingly called "JW Sickness" at one point?

Actually, I think the same like you. First, I thought Angel manager is older than Joo won because seeing the manager behavior, you can tell he is like a leader. then I heard in his V app that Joo won using banmal with him. But we know that it was the habits Joo won so i'm not too think about it because I think that he and his manager's relationship is like brother. But after I read one post, I finally know that they have the same age. Quite surprising for me. 

But that's also cute, because I think that means that JW's entire team is made up of people close to him in age. I know some of his stylists are older (he calls them "noona" on "Life Log"), and at least one of the make-up artists is younger than him (she calls him "oppa" on "Life Log"), but if they're all people who - by now - are in their mid-20s to early 30s...no wonder they get along so well without any awkwardness :) 

Yes, I know that things can get awkward between people who are literally the same age (think Sung Si Kyung and Kim Jong Min on 1N2D, for example), because they can't hide behind the age-based hierarchy. But if there's, say, a group of people in the same age group, I can imagine they'd get along well together and anyone who is significantly older or younger risks being left out.

Haha. Its okay.. by the way, if you open the link that a gave earlier in this forum. You might be already know and read it. 

Part1

http://wp.me/P3RiIO-9f

Part2

http://wp.me/P3RiIO-aV

Part3

http://wp.me/P3RiIO-o0

this is my boundaries of reading fanfic. I can tolerate cute romance and also somewhat funny like this.

Yeah, I know that story, too. I'm okay with reading it, but that's farther than I'd be willing to write on this forum.

Or, maybe I should put it this way: I'd be okay with writing these sorts of scenes, but I'd put them differently. Like in this bit from my most recent fic:

Spoiler

Tearing my eyes away from them to give them some privacy, I try to cover my cough of embarrassment by turning it into a disdainful-sounding scoff. It must not have been all that convincing, though, because when I glance back at the two of them, Il Rak is smirking mischievously at me.

To my dismay, my voice catches tellingly in my throat and I am forced to cough once again. “Could you two get a room next time?” I sputter out eventually.

Il Rak and Si Won exchange knowing glances and smiles. He then looks me pointedly in the eye. “Don’t be so quick to say that, Cha Yoo Jin – it’s your turn now,” he says, punctuating his statement with a wink.

Likewise, Si Won looks back over her shoulder towards her bedroom door. “You can come out now, Nae Il-ah.”

Cautiously, wondering just what on earth I should expect, I turn to look at the door just as Nae Il steps out into the corridor.

There are absolutely no words that could describe what I am seeing.

If Jung Si Won is the picture of minimalist sophistication, then Seol Nae Il is the ingénue: the innocent young girl who remains oblivious to the effect she is having on those who look upon her.

The bodice of her sleeveless dress is completely covered with silver sequins, twinkling and shimmering under the light shining down from the ceiling. Her skirt is black, flaring out like the petals of a flower to end just above her knees in the front, and just below them in the back. Like Si Won, Nae Il, too, is wearing black tights in anticipation of the winter’s chill, but her shoes are different and are definitely something she would pick: low-heeled pumps instead of stilettos, they are similar to the shoes she wears while performing, but these are covered with glitter in the front and capped with black velvet bows.

And, around her neck, the jewel in its centre sparkling in the light, is the necklace I had given her for Christmas.

Already, I can feel myself swallowing compulsively, my breath shaking and catching in my throat, my heart beginning to race.

But then, flashing me a knowingly coquettish smile, she turns around.

Omo.

This time, my jaw drops involuntarily, and I can only stare in wonder.

The back of Nae Il’s dress is just simple black, but what really catches my eye is the large teardrop-shaped opening spreading out from just beneath the nape of her neck to a fine tapered point at her waist.

The sight of the exposed skin of her back is enticing, captivating, just begging for me to touch it.

Indeed, there is nothing more that I want in that moment than to place my hand there, resting firmly at the small of her back, in order to pull her into an embrace.

But instead I find myself frozen in place, suspended in time, unable to do or say anything. Like a mortal man who has just been struck dumb by an angelic being from above.

And Seol Nae Il is my angel. My inspiration, my muse. My angel of music, come down from above.

The spell is broken by the sudden click of a camera shutter. Startled, I tear my eyes away from Nae Il and scan the room for the culprit.

I knew, in writing that bit, how some authors would have put it: probably with some direct mention of sexual arousal. But that's not the route I wanted to take, so I opted for what you see instead. :wink: 

I remember hearing or reading this one idea once that, I think, has really shaped how I write such scenes. I don't remember exactly how it was worded, so I'll put it this way: if a guy sees a girl and imagines her naked, it's lust; but if a guy sees a girl and imagines her in a wedding dress, it's love.

Not that there's any wedding dress component in the excerpt I shared from my story - I'm just saying that there's a difference between talking about how sexy someone is versus how beautiful someone is. This passage has a bit of both, but you can see that I choose to write it by emphasizing the latter.

Looking at those photos makes me realize that joo won is really like bromance like this. He really has many boy friends but not so many girl friends. He also said that he prefer hanging out with friends and family than dating or going to blind date. And also in win win, he agree that he is a hyung-lovers. Hahaha.

One of my favourite things about "Life Log", actually, was finding out that JW had such a big group of guy friends. I think it's because he sometimes comes through as what, where I'm from, would look unmanly that any time I see him doing something that feels more guy-ish, I'd notice: so, playing sports with his friends, or talking about wanting a Playstation so he could play a certain video game, etc. :glasses:

In terms of the collage you posted, @moonstrike, I think I like 5 or 8 best out of those pictures.

And now for my own pics! I'd posted a ton of new partner/group pics last night, so this time will be similarly new solo ones.

Spoiler

I've seen a ton of pictures from this shoot showing him from the waist up (i.e. just the shirt and jacket), so this is my first time seeing the entire outfit. LOL - I definitely wasn't expecting shorts!

Love this silhouette pic

From the March 2017 fanmeeting in Hong Kong

Cutie face

I think this is the closest thing to a "meong" face we ever see out of him in "Nae Il's Cantabile"

823eb4c375efcb3cf0125217a5d6c295.jpg

Glasses pic

From the cafe scene in the first episode of "Life Log"

That's it for now - see you all later!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kittyna said:

I don't really watch American reality/variety shows either, but from what I have seen or heard...I think there's a general difference in how they are used in the media. So, Korean variety shows are about trying to show the everyday personalities of celebrities, but American reality shows are more about making celebrities: i.e. they cast people who aren't famous to begin with, but popular cast members often become celebrities in their own right. But that encourages a certain degree of competition and one-up-man-ship that can lead to really exaggerated excesses of behaviour (e.g. full-on fights, lots of profanity, lots of sex, etc.) - because those who become famous are the ones who stand out from the rest of the crowd.

Yeah... Korean variety show and American variety show have opposite characteristic. The Korean version chose to show how "humans" the celebrities we see on tv. While the American version chose to keep showing it fancy and chose humor that is slightly off the mark and as an Asian, somewhat rude and frontal. So because of that, i never watch any American variety show.

2 hours ago, kittyna said:

My own story's not so different from that. The actual route I took is different - since it was the 2010 KBS Chuseok Special that made me fall for Moon Jun Won for real, followed by interviews, and then 1N2D - but the point is still the same :wink:

My first story is also different. I first fall in love with him in yong pal. Actually, i already know him since 2013. His name is all over the place on the internet. So its kinda impossible for me not to know him. But maybe because that time i'm just watch and more prefer romantic comedy than heavy kinda drama so i don't have time to watch his work (Why am I do that!!?) After that, i don't even have time to watch drama so i'm hiatus until 2015. In 2015, yongpal is a hit drama. In my country, his drama is on tv and on the internet. I was quite curious about the story (since i become older, my taste is changed). And I was so lucky that my cousin has his drama in her laptop. 

I was so curious about this guy, so i search about him on internet and also youtube. And because of that, finally i knew that he is a musical actor and can sing very well. I also read interview that he did in the past, his biography, and all about him. And from the biography, i knew that he was in 1N2D. After i watch it, same as other fans and video that i post here, i was shocked that he is so different from his character in the drama. There are many aspect and reason makes me love him (i don't want to bore you with my story hehe) but i can't write that long here. :D

3 hours ago, kittyna said:

And, yes, I see a lot of stories about that - wasn't it jokingly called "JW Sickness" at one point?

Hahaha... I often hear that word. it is a term used when you fall in love with him deeply because of his charm. I also often here in korean news and show saying that 2013 is joo won's era or joo won's trend (주대세 = joo-dae-se) and joo won is often called as a trend actor (대세 배우) :D

Yes, I know that things can get awkward between people who are literally the same age (think Sung Si Kyung and Kim Jong Min on 1N2D, for example), because they can't hide behind the age-based hierarchy. But if there's, say, a group of people in the same age group, I can imagine they'd get along well together and anyone who is significantly older or younger risks being left out.

Jong min and sung shi kyung relationship is kinda unique. Sometimes warm and sometimes like there's a cold war between them. 

I remember hearing or reading this one idea once that, I think, has really shaped how I write such scenes. I don't remember exactly how it was worded, so I'll put it this way: if a guy sees a girl and imagines her naked, it's lust; but if a guy sees a girl and imagines her in a wedding dress, it's love.

I never heard about that sentence. Its kinda beautiful and sweet tho. 

Not that there's any wedding dress component in the excerpt I shared from my story - I'm just saying that there's a difference between talking about how sexy someone is versus how beautiful someone is. This passage has a bit of both, but you can see that I choose to write it by emphasizing the latter.

Then I will wait for your fanfic development and looking forward to how will you portray the characters and the story itself... :D

One of my favourite things about "Life Log", actually, was finding out that JW had such a big group of guy friends. I think it's because he sometimes comes through as what, where I'm from, would look unmanly that any time I see him doing something that feels more guy-ish, I'd notice: so, playing sports with his friends, or talking about wanting a Playstation so he could play a certain video game, etc. :glasses:

He is more manly than we know B)

I've seen a ton of pictures from this shoot showing him from the waist up (i.e. just the shirt and jacket), so this is my first time seeing the entire outfit. LOL - I definitely wasn't expecting shorts

I also kinda shock that he was wearing shorts plus the glasses. The glasses's is like his own glasses that he always wear and bring. The different is im the photo, the glasses has chain and kinda have thin frame. 

He rarely wears shorts if not for filming or when he does a photoshoot. Or if his stylish, is wanting him to wear it. If not, he might be just wearing his favorite sweatsuit.

Pictures!

Another dreamy photo of him. The one that upload it was huayibrothers.

Orabang holding his own photos!!!

Yongpal in the area.

His merong face. :tongue:

Yeah!! Its 100% true!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, moonstrike said:

Yeah... Korean variety show and American variety show have opposite characteristic. The Korean version chose to show how "humans" the celebrities we see on tv. While the American version chose to keep showing it fancy and chose humor that is slightly off the mark and as an Asian, somewhat rude and frontal. So because of that, i never watch any American variety show.

I wonder if it's a difference in celebrity culture more generally, and not just in how reality/variety tv works.

Like, I still remember the exact moment in the Chuseok special that clued me in that JW was a special person: it was when he bragged to the hosts that he was "more innocent" than either Kang Dong Won or TOP. Now, my point here is not about whether he actually is more innocent than either of them (since I know neither KDW nor TOP well enough to judge that). However, what I am trying to say is that I was really surprised 1) that someone might actually brag about that, and 2) that Korean society allows it and sees it as a good thing.

It's not like American celebrity culture actively encourages people to be bad - it's that American celebrities are expected to walk a tightrope between being good and bad (e.g. be worldly and hedonistic but don't be shallow, be willing to flirt or be sexually open but don't get into a scandal, etc.), whereas in Korea, I find that celebrities are just expected to be good, period.

28 minutes ago, moonstrike said:

Hahaha... I often hear that word. it is a term used when you fall in love with him deeply because of his charm. I also often here in korean news and show saying that 2013 is joo won's era or joo won's trend (주대세 = joo-dae-se) and joo won is often called as a trend actor (대세 배우) :D

I did sense that 2012-2013 was his peak in terms of popularity - I actually only got into following JW and his stuff in 2016, though :tongue: So it's just been about 2 years by this point.

29 minutes ago, moonstrike said:

Jong min and sung shi kyung relationship is kinda unique. Sometimes warm and sometimes like there's a cold war between them

They're funny, because I think there is a bit of a love-hate relationship going on between them. It's clear that their personalities clash and sometimes they end up ignoring each other, but it's not full-on hate, because when that happens, people just ignore each other instead of bickering all the time.

31 minutes ago, moonstrike said:

I also kinda shock that he was wearing shorts plus the glasses. The glasses's is like his own glasses that he always wear and bring. The different is im the photo, the glasses has chain and kinda have thin frame. 

He rarely wears shorts if not for filming or when he does a photoshoot. Or if his stylish, is wanting him to wear it. If not, he might be just wearing his favorite sweatsuit.

I think that, when left to his own devices, JW tends to dress really casually (T-shirts, jeans, sweatshirts, etc.), but a lot of the images we see are more dressed-up, because they're either from photo shoots or public events. :) 

Okay, I'm on a roll today with these pics, but if I've got the time...why not?

Spoiler

Speaking of casual....

I like this behind-the-scenes shot from "Good Doctor"

This shot from "Nae Il's Cantabile" is cute, too

ba9f1f69bae3275348589c8df44657f3.jpg

• Like 1

Real life's been getting busier again now that the holidays are over, so I probably won't have my next fic ready for quite some time.

However, just to give you all a taste of what's to come, and to give you a sense of the voice I'm creating for Park Si On, here's a small preview from what I have written so far:

Spoiler

Hyung knew that although I did not talk much, I loved to read. Words on a page are simple. Black on white. Someone else had already put them there – someone smarter than me. So much smarter, in fact, that I still sometimes prefer to use their words to say what I am thinking instead of struggling to come up with my own.

Hyung knew all this about me, so he believed that this could work the other way around, too. If I could use books to help me find the right words to say, then maybe I could use books to help me understand everybody else, too.

So Hyung would read to me the books he borrowed from the library at school. Short stories. Simple stories. Stories about brave warriors and beautiful princesses. Stories where good people were always rewarded and bad people were always punished.

I loved those stories. They made sense – more sense than the real world ever did.

Later, after the accident, after Hyung went to heaven, after Abeoji and Eomma both left, I had only books to keep me company. I soon read through the entire collection that the orphanage had and would try to get my hands on even more.

Alone in the world, with Hyung no longer by my side, I read different stories. Stories about children who had also been left on their own to fend for themselves. Although the plots sometimes confused me, I loved books like Alice in Wonderland and Harry Potter. They were about children just like me: children who saw and knew things no-one else did, who were called “mad” when it was really everyone else who made no sense.

But I still loved those first stories Hyung read to me. The ones about brave princes and the beautiful princesses who loved them. Hyung once told me that I was as special to him as a prince, and that I would one day have a princess of my own who loved me for who I was.

I never believed him. I am not a prince, after all. If I were in Hyung’s stories at all, I would be that dumb peasant boy hidden in the background, who could only watch the princess from afar.

After all, why should a princess love a dummy like me?

If you notice that things like tenses are going a bit all over the place, that's on purpose. Remember how JW said that Park Si On's mind would be "like the Internet" on his appearance on "Happy Together"? That's the sort of stream-of-consciousness vibe I'm aiming for here, tangents and all. :wink: 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kittyna said:

I wonder if it's a difference in celebrity culture more generally, and not just in how reality/variety tv works.

what I wrote is just what I see on the surface so I do not know that deep.

20 hours ago, kittyna said:

I did sense that 2012-2013 was his peak in terms of popularity - I actually only got into following JW and his stuff in 2016, though :tongue: So it's just been about 2 years by this point.

Its 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015 and i know and love in 2016. I was a little bit late. :astonished:

21 hours ago, kittyna said:

They're funny, because I think there is a bit of a love-hate relationship going on between them. It's clear that their personalities clash and sometimes they end up ignoring each other, but it's not full-on hate, because when that happens, people just ignore each other instead of bickering all the time

Sometimes in one episode, jong min and shi kyung will be enemies but in other episode they seems to get along together. 

I think that, when left to his own devices, JW tends to dress really casually (T-shirts, jeans, sweatshirts, etc.), but a lot of the images we see are more dressed-up, because they're either from photo shoots or public events. :) 

Yeah... if joo won himself who chooses what clothes to wear, he might be choose sweatsuit or t-shirts and jeans. But if the stylish who chooses his clothes, they will surely ask him to wear a fashionable and modern clothes but in accordance with the taste of joo won, that is simple and neat.

13 hours ago, kittyna said:

Real life's been getting busier again now that the holidays are over, so I probably won't have my next fic ready for quite some time.

Its okay... you can take your time. :D

Pictures!!!!

New photo guys! He said his face is so small and handsome. So true!

Funfact about cutie... he doesn't like girls that wear skirt (revealing clothes). He said that in happy together and witch hunt also in his interview. The girls that hear it said how great to hear this because it shows that he respect woman and care about them. Such a polite and dignified man.

Joo won's favorite dentist.

Suddenly missing him.

I feel sad when watching this. His acting is so great.

So cute!!! His smile and dimples is killing me.

• Like 1

Yeah... if joo won himself who chooses what clothes to wear, he might be choose sweatsuit or t-shirts and jeans. But if the stylish who chooses his clothes, they will surely ask him to wear a fashionable and modern clothes but in accordance with the taste of joo won, that is simple and neat.

I do think that the stylists (either his own or the ones from whichever brand he's promoting or magazine he's shooting for) sometimes try to get him into something crazier or trendier from time to time...but those aren't necessarily my favourite looks on him. :tongue: 

Funfact about cutie... he doesn't like girls that wear skirt (revealing clothes). He said that in happy together and witch hunt also in his interview. The girls that hear it said how great to hear this because it shows that he respect woman and care about them. Such a polite and dignified man.

I'm still fascinated that he not only said that, but that he got away with it.

Don't get me wrong - I actually agree with him. But seriously, I cannot - cannot - imagine a North American celebrity saying that without getting a lot of backlash. Maybe in an older generation, but not someone JW's age; if someone tried that around here, he'd immediately be called "sexist" and that would start a scandal.

But not only did JW say it, but my impression is that people liked him for it. I know that I do, personally, but what I mean is that such comments seem, from my perspective, surprisingly well-received in Korea. Most of the feedback I've seen is either praising him for having traditional values (like what you're saying) or girls saying, "Hey, I dress like that - saranghaeyo, oppa!" :D 

I feel sad when watching this. His acting is so great.

It is!

But it's at moments like this that I wish Instagram had volume control like YouTube does, because...ow.  :confounded: My ears just got blasted, and I had to scramble to stop the video before startling anyone else.

Looks like I'll just have to use my memory/imagination to fill in the rest of that scene... :tongue: 

Joo won's favorite dentist.

lol - Can we just talk about that dentist, though? What a way to advertise your business! :D 

And now...pics! 

Spoiler

Love this shot! It's not so much about how he looks, as how the photo looks in general. :)  -

So, I'd mentioned once that JW had said something about wanting a PlayStation on "Life Log" so he could play a certain video game (he'd called it "GTA", so..."Grand Theft Auto", maybe? I dunno...). It turns out someone - probably his fans - caught that detail and followed through. - From https://www.instagram.com/p/BckffAWHNGy/

Spoiler

About this particular Instagram account - Joowonfantastic.fans a.k.a. jwfantastic.fans - does anyone know what happened to it? It's been set to "private", so I can't embed links at all, and any pictures from the past that I'd shared in earlier posts on this thread have disappeared....

35ac3a965828df23ec15647b101ff0fd.jpg

Nice black and white pic

I like this profile shot

Nice behind the scenes photo from "Nae Il's Cantabile" - From this Instagram slideshow - https://www.instagram.com/p/BcI3Y_znYtV/?taken-by=moonstarjw_

c3ce918195575092da00f5e4a718b669.jpg

"Level 7 Civil Servant" Behind the Scenes

c79c2e5b7964c1bd002c169a7e3335c7.jpg

6485bb0482b796db6e1b62ab81479174.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kittyna said:

I do think that the stylists (either his own or the ones from whichever brand he's promoting or magazine he's shooting for) sometimes try to get him into something crazier or trendier from time to time...but those aren't necessarily my favourite looks on him. :tongue: 

Yeah... i prefer him to look simple but fashionable. Like coat, shirt, sweater, long pants, and also jacket. My style of clothes is similar with joo won. I don't like something complicated and uncomfortable. And same as joo won, i'd like to cover my body. I don't like clothes that too reveal my skin. I also don't like skirt especially the short one. 

Don't get me wrong - I actually agree with him. But seriously, I cannot - cannot - imagine a North American celebrity saying that without getting a lot of backlash. Maybe in an older generation, but not someone JW's age; if someone tried that around here, he'd immediately be called "sexist" and that would start a scandal.

I heard something like that is very sensitive there. I watch some reality shows and also youtube channel owned by american people. they show many people who are rasist and also sexist. even the slightest thing that I do not think is meant to talk about it is named "rasist". You sometimes have to adapt yourself to the environment if you do not want to be blasphemed. And sometimes things that you think are somewhat offensive, in other countries is a very good thing.

In my country, if you say something like joo won, you will be praised because we think that is a very good thing and dignified. It shows you are respect woman and don't want to harm them. It is something like that. 

But it's at moments like this that I wish Instagram had volume control like YouTube does, because...ow.  :confounded: My ears just got blasted, and I had to scramble to stop the video before startling anyone else.

Hahaha.. Sometimes when I forget that I raised my handphone volume and I play the video that joo won screams and gets angry, I even jump myself. Sometimes Joo Won's scream is very jarring and loud.

Pics!

When the caption is very true. I love him just the way he is.

Wondering who will be his partner next year.

Would it be Kang Sora?

Or Han hyo joo? Or another actress? Who knows!

Talking about scream, his scream in this post is really loud. Hahaha.

Naeil's Cantabile Comic! I never know that this drama has comic.

http://mycutiemoonjoowon-blog.tumblr.com/post/110949434801/manga-of-naeils-cantabile-韓国版のだめカンタービレのマンガ

Another fanfic i found. Its very cute and funny.

https://zaruba-needslove.tumblr.com/post/110783932712

This one too.

http://jeojas.tumblr.com/post/77223785683/fragments-138

I found this on DC gallery Joo won. He is so pretty! All comments said that he is so pretty like a manekin. 

http://m.dcinside.com/view.php?id=joowon&no=318159&page=1

His co-stars were celebrating his birthday. I think it was in 2016.

• Like 1

Hello! I am back!!

This is the fanfic that I wrote almost 2 years ago(OMG! That long?!)  I posted it on one of the fanfic website and somehow gotten a decent review. LOL! I no longer write fanfics or even to re-edit those since I have become a busy bee..

It is a bit cringe worthy and filled with plot holes as I read again. Still, I decided to share with you guys because why not? I will post it chapter by chapter. Today will be preview + chapter 1. The fanfic name is ...

Eternal Love :)

earing_2.jpg

Prince Hyomyeong/ Yeong

earing 2.jpg

Lily aka Boon Yi (later Queen Sinjeong)

3kcM43GdZSXS5qgs5_n0sxXKNDAusuaa0iUnBMUt

Crowned Prince Yi Jeong

pJMT1vULh5RtaLAGLi6dKyWx1vtLQG3ljEwkU9W4

Hyun/ Jisuk

~~~~

Preview

I am Lily. I am the post-graduate student of Han University.History is my passion.The past intrigued me. Hence,my lifelong research of the Joseon. Among the amazing kings and scholars that that time period had,none of them pull my interest like this ordinary young prince does. Hence,he is the focus of my thesis.The man whom I research; Prince Hyomyeong.

~~~~

Post- Graduate History Student Lily landed in Joseon era,after the strange events. She meet Yeong who later will become Prince Hyomyeong.At first curious, later entangled in Palace politics as the history unfolds. She also deeply fall in love with Prince Hyomyeong,who has a tragic fate.

Chapter 1:

Spoiler

{Lily's Prespective}

They say and time and tide do not wait for men,but for all day long,I feel like I have been waiting for time to pass.The moment the bell rang,I ran to national Museum. Hyun,my best friend,has informed me that a diary of Queen Dowager Sinjeong has recently discovered. I have to get  it. To find out about her husband,Crowned Prince Hyomyeong,the Prince I am researching about.

~~~

K4YLT_3DpwbmKi2P84bO9Q2D-TEzBaqIy1aJLiEK

“Ya! Lily,slown Down!”

I ignored him. My walking pace becomes faster and faster.This diary could get all the information needed about Prince,hence I can write my thesis. This could be one of the very few sources that will give more details about the Prince.

~~~

The security man constantly flashed glances to both of us.He impatiently waved hand and said “No. Book. You can’t access now. The Chief does not allow anyone to touch it.”

“But We have informed the Dean of Han University. I also have letter of approval that I am allowed to study this diary.”

“Don’t Know.Go away!” he shooed us.Which makes me more irritated than ever.

vFXCX6FDYoqmW3pZkRgz8J9229-mxomgTmPGF71n

I tried to ran into the room but the man pushed me away. With disappointment,Hyun and I walked away as he threaten to call police if we continued.

~~~

Tired and agitated,Hyun and I sat in front of Museum and pondered about how to get the book.

“Why are you insisting to study ‘Prince Hyomyeong?’ You just find trouble for yourselves!” Hyun complained.

“He is intriguing”

“What is so intriguing about a man who died at such a young age of 21?”

“Technically 22..”

“With so minimum achievement?”

“He was Prince Regent!”

"Ah whatever.Even his wife is more famed than he is..”

“You! Shut up. My paper. My way!” I warned him.

Actually Why him? I wondered too.

I pondered for many days to get that Diary book. It’s seemed that Researcher Kim,the one who found the book,has rejected my request.As there is no legal way to read it,I might as well as try illegal way. Steal.

~~~

I wore my long black coat,tied my long hair into ponytails and wore my high boots.

Bond Girl.” I whispered to myself. Well,Hyun was not amused. He is as scared as mouse but he still did not reject me. In fact,he has never rejected my silly ideas and always followed me around.

~~~

“I will enter into the room while you distract him,okay?”

“lily ya,I don’t think it is a good Idea. Should we ask the Dean to request it again? If we got caught,we might be kicked out from this programme?”

I lightly hit him with my fist.

“If I have to wait, I might as well as fail everything and get kicked out instead. Okay?Do what I’ve told you.”

Hyun reluctantly followed.

In order to relax myself,I listened to my favorite song, “My Heart will go on” yet again. The song always  smoothes me like no other.I took in deep breathe. I believe I am ready to go.

~~~

This is the third time we reached the National Museum and the security man is less than happy to see us again. Well,What can I do? While Hyun did his job as I have told him to distract the man,I quickly entered inside the room where the book is kept. Ha.I must be spy in the past.

I walked around the room and find the Queen’s diary.Where is it?

~~~

Like a sun,a bright light almost blinded me.I covered my eyes upon sudden appearance of it. Where is it come from? I wondered.I slowly let down my hands and looked at the direction it was coming from.

earings 1.jpg

A lady,in a elegant Hanbok was standing there,seemed far away yet so near. So beautiful. SO elegant that she made me lost my mind. I was pull towards her. As I slowly walked towards her,some strong forces pull me. Pull me to some dimensions which I have never seen before.Stars? Clouds? It was so surreal that I started screaming for help. But no avail. Until darkness overshadowed me.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Yep. I want JW to pair up with my girl Park Shin Hye one day.

Funfact : Just months after I wrote about Prince Hyomyeong which is Joo Won's character in my fanfic, a drama about the same prince was made and it was quite famous. Heheh It starred Park Bo Gum so can you guess which drama is?

I will appear sooner to update chapter 2. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Ma OO Welcome back - and glad to see you getting into the fanfic-writing as well! :) 

(And, yes, I know which Park Bo Gum drama you're referring to - I'm probably one of the few people who hasn't actually watched it yet, though :tongue: Plan to, just haven't.)

My favourite moment in your story so far is the "My paper, my way!" bit, because...I don't know, it's just a telling character moment for me. So I'm definitely curious to see where this ends up going.

As for @moonstrike....

Yeah... i prefer him to look simple but fashionable. Like coat, shirt, sweater, long pants, and also jacket. My style of clothes is similar with joo won. I don't like something complicated and uncomfortable. And same as joo won, i'd like to cover my body. I don't like clothes that too reveal my skin. I also don't like skirt especially the short one. 

Same here. I actually quite like the Korean styles for being a bit more modest, especially the tops: it's hard to find stuff here in North America, especially in the summer, that doesn't show cleavage, for instance. But the one thing I still can't wrap my mind around in terms of Korean fashion are the super-short skirts. Like, I get that they're not considered risqué there, but they're not something I'd pick for myself. :tongue: 

I heard something like that is very sensitive there. I watch some reality shows and also youtube channel owned by american people. they show many people who are rasist and also sexist. even the slightest thing that I do not think is meant to talk about it is named "rasist". You sometimes have to adapt yourself to the environment if you do not want to be blasphemed. And sometimes things that you think are somewhat offensive, in other countries is a very good thing.

You learn to adjust to the values of any society you're in, I suppose. So I have learned when I could or couldn't get away with saying what I think, especially when my views are a bit more conservative and not as popular or "now" as other people's.

Maybe that's why I find Korean dramas a bit more refreshing. I get that I shouldn't romanticize Korea too much: Korean society and culture has its flaws, and the stuff I see on screen may not reflect people's lives or views in reality, but that doesn't mean that I don't feel some sort of connection there that I may not feel here in Canada. But at other times, I really like where I am here, so I guess it all evens out in the end.

Sometimes when I forget that I raised my handphone volume and I play the video that joo won screams and gets angry, I even jump myself. Sometimes Joo Won's scream is very jarring and loud.

It's a tendency that I like to see from an acting perspective, but I always have to remind myself to be ready to turn the volume down at any point when it's JW we're talking about.

Same goes for his singing, actually - when he's doing an interview, he might speak more softly, but then just end up getting really loud when he's asked to sing. Again, it's a good thing from the perspective of, say, musical theatre, but it's definitely something where if I know in advance so I could turn down the volume just a tad, then I can appreciate his voice without hurting my ears or scaring someone :tongue: 

Wondering who will be his partner next year.

Would it be Kang Sora?

Or Han hyo joo? Or another actress? Who knows!

Who knows? I'm more curious about the sort of character he'd take on than who he'd act alongside, to be honest. But still...is there a particular actress I want to see him acting with? I'll have to think about that....

2 hours ago, moonstrike said:

I know that "Nodame Cantabile" (i.e. the Japanese version) started off as a manga, but this is something different? (Sorry, I can't read Japanese, so I can't tell if this is something specific to "Nae Il's Cantabile", or if it's just a re-print of "Nodame Cantabile" but featuring JW and Shim Eun Kyung.)

Yeah, both of those are cute - thanks for sharing!

And speaking of pretty...here are the pics I've chosen to share for today!

Spoiler

A couple of interesting collages:

1. The different brands JW has been the model for - if I recall correctly, I'm David was just a one-time thing, but he's been with the others for a long time now.

2. JW's chubby cheeks that you can't help but want to squeeze - Whoever made this left out "Nae Il's Cantabile", which had a similar scene as well...I guess there were too many to fit? :tongue:

3. JW as Han Gil Ro in "Level 7 Civil Servant"

176189b137a491b21114426c129f99f4.jpg

4. JW as Cha Yoo Jin in "Nae Il's Cantabile"

(By the way, looking at these two collages side-by-side...those are two VERY different sets of expressions, aren't they?)

5. JW with Choi Ro Woon, from both "Good Doctor" and "My Sassy Girl" - CUTENESS EXPLOSION!

6. This one's cute, too, but in a different sense: JW and all of his drama dads so far. They're in chronological order: left to right, top row then bottom row

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ma OO said:

This is the fanfic that I wrote almost 2 years ago(OMG! That long?!)  I posted it on one of the fanfic website and somehow gotten a decent review. LOL! I no longer write fanfics or even to re-edit those since I have become a busy bee..

Yeay... another fanfic! I'm waiting for the next chapter. This is great. 

My favourite moment in your story so far is the "My paper, my way!" bit, because...I don't know, it's just a telling character moment for me. So I'm definitely curious to see where this ends up going.

@kittyna where is it? Can you send the link here? I'm really curious.

But the one thing I still can't wrap my mind around in terms of Korean fashion are the super-short skirts. Like, I get that they're not considered risqué there, but they're not something I'd pick for myself. :tongue: 

Yeah.. there is one tv channel showing korean fashion in my country. the show says that Korean people usually choose clothes that have their tops covered like a tshirt covered by a jacket or fleece sweater. but they choose open subordinates such as short skirts or hot pants even in winter. they cover their legs with just long boots or stockings. I've also seen them wearing high heels during winter. I am really confused how they resist the cold in the middle of that fierce winter? I think they are forced to do it in order to look fashionable and beautiful though it must be tormented. In my country, that is something unusual and extreme.

Same goes for his singing, actually - when he's doing an interview, he might speak more softly, but then just end up getting really loud when he's asked to sing.

I remember when he was asked to sing by the host, he said to lower the volume because this will be very loud. especially for the sound director. If he is not ready and remains at normal volume then it will be bad for his ear because he is wearing headphones.

Who knows? I'm more curious about the sort of character he'd take on than who he'd act alongside, to be honest. But still...is there a particular actress I want to see him acting with? I'll have to think about that...

Personally, i want him to act alongside I want her to act with the same age artist or actress who has almost the same age as her. Other than that, I do not mind who he will act with.

He is the YOUNGEST guys! So proud of him!

I like this post! 

• Like 1

@kittyna where is it? Can you send the link here? I'm really curious.

Sorry if I confused you - I was saying which part of the story @Ma OO just posted was my favourite :tongue: 

Yeah.. there is one tv channel showing korean fashion in my country. the show says that Korean people usually choose clothes that have their tops covered like a tshirt covered by a jacket or fleece sweater. but they choose open subordinates such as short skirts or hot pants even in winter. they cover their legs with just long boots or stockings. I've also seen them wearing high heels during winter. I am really confused how they resist the cold in the middle of that fierce winter? I think they are forced to do it in order to look fashionable and beautiful though it must be tormented. In my country, that is something unusual and extreme.

I guess that it's just a matter of dressing how you're used to. I hate being cold, so I know for sure that I can't do it, but maybe a lot of Koreans can withstand those temperatures? Or maybe they see it as a good thing to have that level of endurance? I don't know.

I remember when he was asked to sing by the host, he said to lower the volume because this will be very loud. especially for the sound director. If he is not ready and remains at normal volume then it will be bad for his ear because he is wearing headphones.

I didn't know that actually. I guess I can only tell from the perspective of a listener/audience member, but I have noticed that JW's singing voice tends to overwhelm the microphone a bit.

It's hard, because so many songs start quiet and then grow stronger and louder. For most singers, I imagine that's not a big problem, especially if they mostly sing pop or ballads. But for JW, who comes from musical theatre, he naturally switches into his "musical" voice when he sings the climax of a song, and that's a lot more resonant than what you usually get from a K-pop idol: it's a tone that is created specifically to carry a long distance away without microphones or amplifiers (okay, musical theatre does involve microphones, too, but audio settings would be adjusted accordingly). So he tends to end up blasting the microphone a bit - it's not his fault, but it can get jarring. So yeah, I can imagine how that would sound to his own ears, too....

Personally, i want him to act alongside I want her to act with the same age artist or actress who has almost the same age as her. Other than that, I do not mind who he will act with.

That could be interesting - he's done that a few times that I can think of (Oh Yeon Seo is the same age as him, UEE is one year younger, and Moon Chae Won is one year older), but that is always a fun dynamic to watch again. Plus, the behind-the-scenes stuff gets so cute, since you can tell he just ends up becoming friends with the actress :) 

Not that he wasn't friends with the others as well, but even he himself has said that there's a certain easiness that comes from having a friend who's close to him in terms of age. :wink: 

By the way, on a more random - but still JW-related(?) sidenote...

Spoiler

The Golden Globes are going on tonight, and they're one of the biggest TV awards shows here in North America.

I'm just wanting to say really quickly that Freddie Highmore, the lead actor in the American version of "Good Doctor", had been nominated for Best Actor in a Television Drama. He wound up losing to someone else, but I just thought I'd let you all know anyway - since I still believe that none of this would have happened were it not for JW's performance in the Korean version. :tongue: So as far as I'm concerned, congratulations are still in order :) 

And now for some more pics!

Spoiler

Cute photo of JW with his BFF, Lee Se Wook - This was taken in Tokyo; I know because I have photos of the exact same place from a trip I took with my parents several years ago :wink: 

28d7b0a10b213ebaca98fd1a76d700a7.jpg

Speaking of "Good Doctor" and awards, here's a pic from the 2013 KBS Drama Awards (just the first pic in the slideshow; the other photos don't have JW in them, since these were shared by a Moon Chae Won fan)

I love the more contemplative mood in this shot

I love the close-up on his eye in this one!

Matching expressions on JW and the monkey doll

This shot was from an early interview for "Nae Il's Cantabile", and...I don't know, I just think he looks really handsome here

Finally, just some cute fanart:

And it's nighttime where I am, so I should be getting ready for bed. See you all tomorrow!

76a7029eb4ddb89c446f2788c63fc655.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kittyna said:

It's hard, because so many songs start quiet and then grow stronger and louder. For most singers, I imagine that's not a big problem, especially if they mostly sing pop or ballads. But for JW, who comes from musical theatre, he naturally switches into his "musical" voice when he sings the climax of a song, and that's a lot more resonant than what you usually get from a K-pop idol: it's a tone that is created specifically to carry a long distance away without microphones or amplifiers (okay, musical theatre does involve microphones, too, but audio settings would be adjusted accordingly). So he tends to end up blasting the microphone a bit - it's not his fault, but it can get jarring. So yeah, I can imagine how that would sound to his own ears, too...

I've read the comment that says that joo won has a wide range of voice. He can sing a song that is low and also high. This is one of the advantages of musical actors.

I've heard Joo won singing songs with high notes like "Nothing better", "I believe", "Snow Flower", and many more. I've also heard him sing a song that requires a very loud and big voice like when he appeared onstage as a musical actor. he also can sang a low-pitched song like ballad and pop. I remember that joo won once said that he likes ballad genre or quiet song like epitone project song.

That could be interesting - he's done that a few times that I can think of (Oh Yeon Seo is the same age as him, UEE is one year younger, and Moon Chae Won is one year older), but that is always a fun dynamic to watch again. Plus, the behind-the-scenes stuff gets so cute, since you can tell he just ends up becoming friends with the actress :) 

I've thinking about it, and i think i want him to act with park shin hye or reunite with his partner in the past, like Uee, Jin se yeon, Moon Chae Won, or even Kim tae hee. Because I often see comments that says that the netizen want to see joo won acting again with his opponent in the past. Its when Jin se yeon died at the end of gaksital and made the audience and netizen a bit disappointed and wanted to give lee kang to and mokdan a second chance to achieve happiness. Or when chemistry of Joo won and Uee explode on tv when the ojakgyo brothers aired so as to make netizens feel less and want more.

I'm just wanting to say really quickly that Freddie Highmore, the lead actor in the American version of "Good Doctor", had been nominated for Best Actor in a Television Drama. He wound up losing to someone else, but I just thought I'd let you all know anyway - since I still believe that none of this would have happened were it not for JW's performance in the Korean version. :tongue: So as far as I'm concerned, congratulations are still in order :) 

This could happen because of joo won. Our joo won have an incredible acting that even make people overseas to remake their drama. It is an honor especially when knowing that the drama was accepted and famous by the public there. I read a lot of comments that the good doctor is good but not as good as when joo won plays it. Nothing can be as good as joo won to play as park shi on. even lee jong suk admits that joo won is better than him in terms of acting.

Here is the link: (the comment is incredible)

https://www.dramafever.com/news/would-lee-jong-suk-have-been-better-than-joo-won-in-good-doctor/

And also this

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2013/10/lee-jong-suk-reveals-he-got-inspired-by-joo-wons-acting-in-good-doctor

Pictures!!!

New photo of him! Look at his hand holding a gun. The real gun. Wow.. so manly!

Manly hand! His hand is so big and strong and also you can see the veins is visible.

Are you okay, Shi On-ah?

The soldier dance by joo won. Hahaha.

Is this a baby? Or a man?

Look at his smile. The Little boy is giving him a small give and this is how he receive it. So cute...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, moonstrike said:

I've read the comment that says that joo won has a wide range of voice. He can sing a song that is low and also high. This is one of the advantages of musical actors.

I've heard Joo won singing songs with high notes like "Nothing better", "I believe", "Snow Flower", and many more. I've also heard him sing a song that requires a very loud and big voice like when he appeared onstage as a musical actor. he also can sang a low-pitched song like ballad and pop. I remember that joo won once said that he likes ballad genre or quiet song like epitone project song.

Personally, I think he's stronger in the higher part of his range than the lower part: as though he would be considered a tenor if you had to slot him somewhere, but his comfortable range is actually slightly higher still.

For example, one thing I've noticed about JW's singing voice/style is that he's one of the best Korean singers at doing high notes quietly that I've ever come across. 

(It's funny, because I literally had a conversation about this with my mom a few days ago. We both are huge fans of JW's singing, and I was trying to explain this one point. I used way fewer words then, but I'll do my best to explain what I was thinking then here)

A lot of idol singers can go up there with a really strong, powerful tone - they're using a technique called "belting", and that's a very common method in singing pop, ballads, etc. To put it simply, it's when you're using the same technique you would use to sing lower notes (which tend to resonate from your chest) to sing higher notes. That leads to a very strong and powerful sound that, from my perspective as a listener, feels like the sound is being pushed up from below and then projected forward. There's a very clear sense of direction in the sound that you create with belting. JW can also belt really well, as you can tell from his OST recordings (a great example of this would be that one long note he had in "Love Medicine" from the "Good Doctor" soundtrack).

However, he's using a completely different technique when he's singing high notes quietly (like in "Innocente" from "Nae Il's Cantabile" or "I Believe" from "My Sassy Girl"). In those instances, he's using what is sometimes called "head voice", which is what's recommended for singing high notes in classical training. I'm not a classical soloist by any means, but I did have several years of choir experience growing up, and that is what is used by, say, sopranos to sing the higher notes. So, you literally will feel the vibration inside your head as opposed to in your chest (which is what would happen with belting, since that's using what's called "chest voice").

You can hear the difference, again, by the way the sound seems to move. When someone sings a high note loudly with head voice rather than by belting, the sound is not so much projected forwards (i.e. towards the microphone), but upwards and outwards in all directions. It can get really resonant and echoing in a way that I think belting can't do. When JW's singing in his fan meetings or concerts or on the spot in interviews, this is the method he uses (hence his tendency to overwhelm the mikes a bit, since they're not adjusted for that sort of sound).

As for singing the high notes quietly: when belting, there is sometimes a bit of strain/tension, because as a singer, you literally have to hold back your voice (you need that projection to get yourself up there, but then have to pull back so it's not as loud). Sung Si Kyung, for example, has commented on 1N2D that he struggles with high notes because of this :wink: But for JW, who uses head voice, it's easier to sing high notes quietly in a manner that is light and clear. So, if you go back and listen to songs like "Innocente" or "I Believe" (the drama OST version, not the faster fanmeeting version), his high notes sound almost like they're floating: suspended in thin air. Because he's not so much pushing them up from below (i.e. belting) as he is just letting them out from a higher point of resonance (i.e. his head voice) and then all he has to do is just keep it there.

Musical theatre, by the way, often involves both techniques, depending on what's required for the role. It used to be almost primarily classical "head voice" style, but more and more songs have been written with belting in mind, since that's the sound that is now associated with power and charisma across genres (so, for example, a musical like "Wicked" uses a lot of belting, but one like "Les Miserables" or "Phantom of the Opera" uses more classical technique). Which means that JW's definitely qualified for both styles, but as @airplanegirl once noted way back when, he seems to have a preference for the more classical technique, since that's clearly the style he uses when the choice is his own to make (e.g. in fanmeetings, interviews, live performances, etc.)

Yeah, that's my long layman's non-professional-singer explanation for what's going on with JW's voice. It's this quality of his singing that, in my opinion, makes him stand out and just completely makes me swoon. :wub:

46 minutes ago, moonstrike said:

I've thinking about it, and i think i want him to act with park shin hye or reunite with his partner in the past, like Uee, Jin se yeon, Moon Chae Won, or even Kim tae hee. Because I often see comments that says that the netizen want to see joo won acting again with his opponent in the past. Its when Jin se yeon died at the end of gaksital and made the audience and netizen a bit disappointed and wanted to give lee kang to and mokdan a second chance to achieve happiness. Or when chemistry of Joo won and Uee explode on tv when the ojakgyo brothers aired so as to make netizens feel less and want more.

lol - That reminds me: I had thought about how funny it would be if JW worked together with both Moon Chae Won and Moon Geun Young (because of the shared surname/clan relationship). Both actresses already work well together, and we know JW works well with MCW. 

In terms of drama casting reunions, I really want to see JW do something with Park Ki Woong again - I'd heard rumours that JW had been considering the main lead in "Monster" (which ultimately had PKW as second lead/antagonist), and that would have been epic. Of course, it didn't happen, but I'm still raring for a chance to see these two guys together on something again. Either with the same dynamic as "Gaksital" (JW as the protagonist and PKW as the antagonist) or the other way around, which might actually be even more interesting (although I have yet to see PKW play a memorable protagonist - he's even joked about his "villain actor" reputation himself.)

As for other actresses with JW whom he hasn't worked with before...I'd be curious about any of the names mentioned so far (Kang So Ra, Han Hyo Joo and Park Shin Hye). Basically, I can't imagine chemistry until it's already happened, so I have a hard time visualizing who would work well together until they've actually, well, done something together :tongue: 

53 minutes ago, moonstrike said:

I read a lot of comments that the good doctor is good but not as good as when joo won plays it. Nothing can be as good as joo won to play as park shi on. even lee jong suk admits that joo won is better than him in terms of acting.

Here is the link: (the comment is incredible)

https://www.dramafever.com/news/would-lee-jong-suk-have-been-better-than-joo-won-in-good-doctor/

And also this

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2013/10/lee-jong-suk-reveals-he-got-inspired-by-joo-wons-acting-in-good-doctor

Thanks for the links!

Granted, I think Lee Jong Suk's a good actor in his own right, so people who comment that JW's way better than him....yeah, I'm not buying that completely.

However, I do think that JW was the best choice for Park Si On, because I can't think of any other actor in his peer group that could convey that duality between extreme intelligence and extreme innocence as well as him. Lee Jong Suk would play the savant side really well, but he'd have a harder time convincing me on the innocence part: weird, because I know that LJS, like JW, is a big aegyo monster in real life, but I guess I associate him more with "bad boy" roles.

Or maybe LJS just lacks JW's "meong" face :tongue: 

And now for pics!

Spoiler

Remember the cheek-squishing collage I shared the other day? Here's a different collage by a different fan: so, same concept, but some different pics (including the ones I'd noticed from "Nae Il's Cantabile" that didn't make it into the previous one)

JW Quiz Time: How many character chibis can you recognize?

(Personally, it took me a long time, but I eventually figured out all of them - See the "Hidden Content" for answers!)

Spoiler

Answers to the Chibi Quiz!

Top row, left to right: Kim Tae Hyun ("Yong Pal"), Park Si On ("Good Doctor"), Lee Kang To ("Gaksital"), Woo Ki Myung ("Fashion King"), Kim Ho Ryong ("S.I.U.")

Second row, left to right: Cha Yoo Jin ("Nae Il's Cantabile"), Han Gil Ro ("Level 7 Civil Servant"), Qu Wei Ran ("Sweet Sixteen"), Jang Woo ("Fatal Intuition"), Gu Ma Jun ("King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu")

Bottom row, left to right: Hwang Tae Hee ("Ojakgyo Brothers"), Lee Ho Tae ("Catch Me"), Cheon Xi ("Love Express"), Gyun Woo ("My Sassy Girl"), Seo Ki Woong ("Clocking Out")

JW at the March 2017 fanmeeting in Hong Kong (it's a whole slideshow)

Loving this shot from "Yong Pal"

When JW's pout goes to almost cartoonish levels....

7b345f802ada5354705f7c9438d4f6d3.jpg

Gyun Woo and his doggy! Seriously, that Pekingese has to be one of the cutest K-drama pets I've seen thus far!

From this Instagram slideshow: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUp3N7rjLOY/?taken-by=kumikumi_1127

55e66bf5483aa11d920fc8c1fc4e0704.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, that's my long layman's non-professional-singer explanation for what's going on with JW's voice. It's this quality of his singing that, in my opinion, makes him stand out and just completely makes me swoon. :wub:

Wow... that's a lot! But thanks for the information! and the conclusion I can take is that he can sing a high and low tune well. but since joo won comes from musical, you can see that he is superior in singing high voice like he did in the musical. 

His voice also makes me swoon and love him even more too. Sometimes it makes me sleepy and sometimes makes me happy and excited. I think his voice has a magic spell that makes me happy instantly.

lol - That reminds me: I had thought about how funny it would be if JW worked together with both Moon Chae Won and Moon Geun Young (because of the shared surname/clan relationship). Both actresses already work well together, and we know JW works well with MCW. 

It might be the same like when he act with Moon Chae won. It will be great. They can make a cute friend relationship. Moon Joon Won and Moon Geun Yeoung. Seems Legit... by the way, they gave the same age. Both of them born in 1987. 

As for other actresses with JW whom he hasn't worked with before...I'd be curious about any of the names mentioned so far (Kang So Ra, Han Hyo Joo and Park Shin Hye). Basically, I can't imagine chemistry until it's already happened, so I have a hard time visualizing who would work well together until they've actually, well, done something together :tongue: 

Actually, i can imagine that a little bit. Because i have seen park shin hye's drama and everytime the male lead appear, i imagine him as joo won or maybe i compare him with joo won. 

Sometimes, i can't watch another drama because i always compare them with joo won. I would think "Joo won can do this kind of act better." Or "If it was Joo won, he will do it in different way." And i will end up thinking of joo won the whole episode. 

PictureS!!!

Talking about singing, his voice in this video is really good.

Never seen him got beat up like this. This is so funny. And his "Aw..Oww..." is so hilarious.

His dimples is indeed really gorgeous! The real dimples without plastic.

This is intense! His gaze is something for me.

This makes me sad..  please take care of your health, dear. 

• Like 1