Joo Won 주원 [Drama- The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

@lavender2love hehehe chingu am around but taking a brk here got bz with another actor i feel like cheating on JW hahaha but no way he's always got that space in my heart! am so enthused these days with another actor dunno if i shall mention here but anyway it's nice to be here again! i hv a lot to browse here my gosh i didn't realize i't's been a while since i was here! i'm done with i think all of our JW's projs so i was kinda bored & ventured to another kdramas (old ones that is) but i'll be popping in here once in a while! :) what's the latest with our guy? i'll read through once i get a chance!

hello to all chingus here! what are you guys watching these days?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ma OO said:

Hmm... I am just not writing anything because I have nothing to? And the topics brought up are not up to date? But then I understand that he is in army so there are very limited topics to actually talk about.I know some of you want to discuss about  1N2D but it is something that Joo Won did half a decade ago and as a Joo Won's old fan, I have already left that behind. We,or at least I have said enough about it back in 2013 or so. Also,I really love 1N2D season 3 and believe that it is better than season 2.Maybe because of director,but season 2 is something I want to left behind except for Joo Won's cuteness.

About Joo Won's fashion, it is not my forte or my interest. I am the type that wear clothes if it is pretty and doesn't care about style. I feel that Joo Won is like that too or maybe worse than that. If you have seen 1N2D episode where they visited Joo Won's home, you will have actually saw how he kept this clothes. And he barely has 1 or 2 dressing shoes.Most of clothes he wore are sponsored.Those he owned are mainly from fans or got from those commercials that he did. And from what I see, he is quite bad at keeping the clothes neat too. For a next-door-boy like him,I doubt he actually care about fashion. Maybe he change now,but not until 2015.

Just a suggestion. You all can write short fanfics to liven up this thread. Maybe I will participate too is someone get the ball rolling?

Glad to see @Ma OO back! I must admit I'm not writing much because I have nothing to too. But seeing how @lavender2love has been so encouraging, @kittyna has been very insightful and knowledgeable despite being a new fan, and @airplanegirl has been dutifully sharing latest updates on JW, I just wanted to let them know I'm still here. Sorry to bring up topics that are irrelevant to you. I thought new fans might not have seen all old videos and will be interested to learn more, just like how I really appreciated fans sharing old topics when I was new. Though 2D1N was half a decade ago, it's the only variety show that JW participated for a year and one of the few opportunities to see JW being himself, not acting. We seldom see him being cute, pouty, playful, relaxed anywhere else, other than drama BTS. I think those wonderful memories will tide us through these 2 years without seeing him in dramas.

I never thought of fanfic as my writing is horrible. I hope to see you start the ball rolling and I'm sure @kittyna can contribute :)

22 hours ago, airplanegirl said:

So sorry for bringing up topic that might have made you uncomfortable. But lately, netizens have been mentioning Joo Won in the 2D1N Naver blog about how they miss him, and how they wanna see him guesting once he gets out of military service. Whilst the season wasn't as well-received as S1 and S3, Joo Won was incredibly loved as the maknae by netizens. 

Thanks for sharing this! good to know the Koreans did not forget JW and missing him. Hope Lee Su Guen can help bring JW back as a guest in 2019.

After seeing the latest promo from army, I still can't believe how JW can be so fair after months of training heehee.

15 hours ago, kittyna said:

You could try here: http://kshowonline.com/category/73/1-night-2-days-s2

Some of the videos will be pretty blurry, though, but it's better than nothing.

@kittyna thanks for this! I tried around 10 links but none works. Could be my browser issue or the videos are all removed.

13 hours ago, hibiscus23 said:

hehehe chingu am around but taking a brk here got bz with another actor i feel like cheating on JW hahaha but no way he's always got that space in my heart! am so enthused these days with another actor dunno if i shall mention here but anyway it's nice to be here again! i hv a lot to browse here my gosh i didn't realize i't's been a while since i was here! i'm done with i think all of our JW's projs so i was kinda bored & ventured to another kdramas (old ones that is) but i'll be popping in here once in a while! :) what's the latest with our guy? i'll read through once i get a chance!

hello to all chingus here! what are you guys watching these days?

@hibiscus23 you are so cute to feel you are cheating on JW! I'm curious, may I know who's sharing the same space as JW in your heart? lol 

My current favourite drama is Live Up to Your Name and will probably start watching Hospital Ship as Ha Ji Won is my long-time favourite. In the past, I thought medical dramas are boring. Had watched Good Doctor and Yongpal for JW. But nowadays, I'm actually quite surprised the writers can come up with so many different types of medical dramas. Hence, I won't mind if JW takes on another medical drama in future as long as the plot is good.

• Like 1

@hibiscus23 you are so cute to feel you are cheating on JW! I'm curious, may I know who's sharing the same space as JW in your heart? lol 

My current favourite drama is Live Up to Your Name and will probably start watching Hospital Ship as Ha Ji Won is my long-time favourite. In the past, I thought medical dramas are boring. Had watched Good Doctor and Yongpal for JW. But nowadays, I'm actually quite surprised the writers can come up with so many different types of medical dramas. Hence, I won't mind if JW takes on another medical drama in future as long as the plot is good.

@sagaseed hahaha lol.... OK am sure you know him or hv seen him too....it's Park hae jin!!! after finishing JW's dramas i felt i shld watch some other dramas and when i re-watched Baker King i kinda liked Lee Yong Ah in it as she was so cute, it sorta triggered me to see her other projs and voila i did find a movie she did i believe in 2015 with Park hae jin as her leading man & i liked him in that movie so from thereon i chkd his other projs & found out he was also in my love from the star which i hvnt finished bc i got hooked in watching his other drama my daughter seoyeong :) so that's why i was absent here hahaha LOL

ahh i heard about that drama LUTYN but hvnt chkd it yet! i also am a fan of HJW so i'll surely chk it out when it comes out! mind you i felt that way too about med drama, i agree w/you about medical drama writers but one of the things i tried to avoid mostly are the OR scenes since am afraid to look at blood, etc. hahaha but yes i also liked YP and GD, you shld also see Doctor Stranger it was good too plus Emergency Couple!

hello to all JW fans here and i'll try to come again and hear or read some of the latest about JW! awesome photos you guys posted here and we really miss him for sure!

• Like 1

On 9/5/2017 at 10:44 AM, hibiscus23 said:

hehehe chingu am around but taking a brk here got bz with another actor i feel like cheating on JW hahaha but no way he's always got that space in my heart! am so enthused these days with another actor dunno if i shall mention here but anyway it's nice to be here again!

On 9/6/2017 at 1:46 AM, hibiscus23 said:

OK am sure you know him or hv seen him too....it's Park hae jin!!! after finishing JW's dramas i felt i shld watch some other dramas and when i re-watched Baker King i kinda liked Lee Yong Ah in it as she was so cute, it sorta triggered me to see her other projs and voila i did find a movie she did i believe in 2015 with Park hae jin as her leading man & i liked him in that movie so from thereon i chkd his other projs & found out he was also in my love from the star which i hvnt finished bc i got hooked in watching his other drama my daughter seoyeong :) so that's why i was absent here hahaha LOL

lol - Park Hae Jin, eh? He's a good actor to watch, too - haven't been disappointed in him thus far. Personally, I really like his roles in "My Love From the Star" and "My Daughter Seoyoung", so if those are the dramas you picked...good call. :) I'm also interested in "Doctor Stranger", but since I just finished watching "W: Two Worlds" not too long ago...I want to wait a while before picking up another Lee Jong Suk drama. The actors I like are ones whose dramas I want to space out and savor - it's also my means of making sure that I don't run out of their stuff by the time they're in the military :wink:

Since you were also asking what we're currently watching...not counting re-watches, I always have at least two going on: one I watch with my family in Cantonese dub (the realities of living in a multi-generational Chinese Canadian family: half of us are more literate in Chinese, and half of us are more literate in English - so Korean with subs in just one language is a bit of a no-go), and one on my own in Korean with English subtitles. So right now, I'm watching "Angel Eyes" (Cantonese) and "Saimdang: Light's Diary" (Korean w. English subs).

As a general rule, in watching stuff on my own, I pick either dramas that I want to stretch out longer (because while watching with my family is a daily thing, watching by myself depends on how much free time I have), or ones where I really, really want to hear the original actors' voices. In other words: a good chunk of JW's work is stuff I watch in the original: both because I wanted to accumulate as much unwatched stuff as possible to tide me over these 2 years, and because I really think that his voicework is a huge part of his acting and I don't want to miss out.

On 9/6/2017 at 12:17 AM, sagaseed said:

Had watched Good Doctor and Yongpal for JW. But nowadays, I'm actually quite surprised the writers can come up with so many different types of medical dramas. Hence, I won't mind if JW takes on another medical drama in future as long as the plot is good.

By the way, this makes me wonder - not just to @sagaseed but to everyone: What sort of roles would you like to see JW take up in the future? Unlike some of the other things I've been posting, I think this is something that both old and new fans might have ideas on, so please feel free to share :)

Also, I can't exactly post without having something directly JW-related to contribute, so here's a video that I stumbled across recently on YouTube. It looks like another segment from tvN's "The List" (the same program that had JW as a "patriotic actor" for Liberation Day), but this one seems to be about celebrity doppelgangers. I knew that JW was compared to Kang Dong Won when he started out, but not that it's still going on.

If anyone can translate this, that would be much appreciated. I know subs are a lot of work, so even just a quick summary here would be awesome. Thanks!

• Like 2

@kittyna isn't he also a good actor to watch? i also liked him in MDSY as Sangu and his love story with Hojeong, i just find those two v cute couple ever! I hvnt finished MLFTS as i ventured (some more) in his early dramas like Hot Blood, Land & Sky but i'll surely watch MLFTS! I u/stand if you're taking a brk from watching LJS and incidentally i did start watching 'W' bc of Lee tae hwan (another cutie) but kinda lagged on bc of JW's Gaksital at that time which happens to be one of my faves JW projects but i'll try to go back to that drama W once i'm more or less uptodate with PHJ's dramas! btw i heard about Saimdang but i just don't hv that much time to watch some new kdramas these days (yet) since i've been trying to complete a lot of the old dramas of PHJ! (sorry JW am not cheating :)) hahaha i'm sure JW will u/stand hahaha!

speaking of JW's voice i agree with you i think one of his assets aside from his great acting and good looks would be his .... voice...even his singing voice, one of my faves would be the one he sung in Baker King...Ganayo...i play his CD over/over again even to this day! :heart: i appreciate your sharing what you'd been watching and let's hope that we won't feel 2 yrs as a very long time to wait for his comeback!

hello to all here! :)

• Like 2

DJDDai2UEAA5tNB.jpg

Source: Joo Won DC.

3 hours ago, kittyna said:

If anyone can translate this, that would be much appreciated. I know subs are a lot of work, so even just a quick summary here would be awesome. Thanks!

This video is just mostly comparing their features and showing old clips of when Joo Won told the story about how people used to mistake him as KDW, and how he was mobbed by fans at a music festival back when he was still in high school cause they thought he was KDW. 

Soompi's new update/format confuses me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hibiscus23 said:

speaking of JW's voice i agree with you i think one of his assets aside from his great acting and good looks would be his .... voice...even his singing voice, one of my faves would be the one he sung in Baker King...Ganayo...i play his CD over/over again even to this day! :heart:

I'm in the middle of putting together a playlist to listen to in the car, so I know what you mean. It's too bad that his OST repertoire is not all that big - you put them all together, and you'd only have about 40 minutes(?) worth of stuff. Compared to most singers, that's not a lot at all. So I've been working to expand on it by trying to find stuff from fanmeetings, televised performances, the "Ghost" OST, etc. It's easier said than done, especially the live performances, because fan-cams tend to pick up a ton of background noise and I'm really picky about sound quality :expressionless: But the discovery process has been a lot of fun :grin:

@airplanegirl Thanks for the update! It sounds exactly like what I imagined JW would be like in the military. I also cracked up at, "I hope that he does well despite all the hardships he gave me during training." Because if you're not being hard-line about the military training, you're not doing it right :wink:

Also, thanks for explaining what was in that video :heart:

As for the new format, the chat happening here does a good job at explaining how the new stuff works - can't wait for the "reactions" to come back. I'm especially taking note of how you can sort posts by date when you look at a forum rather than by votes - because I'm Type A enough to like things to be in chronological order. :wink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kittyna said:

By the way, this makes me wonder - not just to @sagaseed but to everyone: What sort of roles would you like to see JW take up in the future? Unlike some of the other things I've been posting, I think this is something that both old and new fans might have ideas on, so please feel free to share :)

Good question for discussion :) 

Before I share my ideas, I'm thinking what role the man himself will like to do after he is discharged. One thing for sure, he always try to go for different roles so I think he will pick something new to him in his next project. Years ago, he also confessed he likes to try melodrama where he is crazy for love (even mentioned the movie Notebook more than once) but this may have changed now that he is in a relationship.

My wish list:

1) Gaksital 2 - yes, I know I have been repeating for the nth time! But I really want to see him continue to fight for independence, then cry in tears of joy the moment Korea is declared independent.. Let him get over the loss of Mok Dan and find another love, or better if he can reunite with Ueno! 

2) Legal drama - Be it Lawyer or Paralegal or Prosecutor or even a Defendant, I'm in. If he plays a twisted antagonist, I'm merrier..

3) Multiple roles in one drama - think clones in Duel, or split personalities in Kill Me, Heal Me, or  body swap in Secret Garden, or a different reincarnated character in Chicago Typewriter.. Endless possibilities..  I think playing different roles can showcase his acting prowess too.

4) A real serious sageuk e.g. 7 Days Queen, with sword fights, beautiful costumes and cinematography.

5) Just be himself as a guest in 2D1N or 3 Meals a day (with YHJ).

Last but not least, I hope to see him in another musical.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sagaseed said:

Good question for discussion :) 

Before I share my ideas, I'm thinking what role the man himself will like to do after he is discharged. One thing for sure, he always try to go for different roles so I think he will pick something new to him in his next project. Years ago, he also confessed he likes to try melodrama where he is crazy for love (even mentioned the movie Notebook more than once) but this may have changed now that he is in a relationship.

My wish list:

1) Gaksital 2 - yes, I know I have been repeating for the nth time! But I really want to see him continue to fight for independence, then cry in tears of joy the moment Korea is declared independent.. Let him get over the loss of Mok Dan and find another love, or better if he can reunite with Ueno! 

2) Legal drama - Be it Lawyer or Paralegal or Prosecutor or even a Defendant, I'm in. If he plays a twisted antagonist, I'm merrier..

3) Multiple roles in one drama - think clones in Duel, or split personalities in Kill Me, Heal Me, or  body swap in Secret Garden, or a different reincarnated character in Chicago Typewriter.. Endless possibilities..  I think playing different roles can showcase his acting prowess too.

4) A real serious sageuk e.g. 7 Days Queen, with sword fights, beautiful costumes and cinematography.

5) Just be himself as a guest in 2D1N or 3 Meals a day (with YHJ).

Last but not least, I hope to see him in another musical.

For musicals,

1) I want him to take on a role like Hedwig. In general, Hedwig is a very vocally demanding role plus it requires the actor to have an amazing body to pull of the outfits that Hedwig wears in the show. 

2) Should Hamilton ever make it's way to Korea, I'd love for Joo Won to be a part of it. The story + music is freaking solid. It's easily one of my favourite musicals right now.

3) The Book of Mormon. 

4) Kinky Boots. 

5) Regarding dual roles, Jekyll and Hyde would be an amazing role. Plus the score is amazing!

6) Remake of Spring Awakening. And let him reunite with Jo Jung Suk and Kang Ha Neul.

As for dramas, I'm not picky. As long as the female lead and the story line is well-written, I have no problems. But obviously, I don't want him to be type-casted. An antagonist role would be amazing! I think he's one of the few young actors who can pull off an antagonist role flawlessly. 

• Like 2

Hello?!

Good Question @kittyna. Hmm 

For drama~

Melodrama : I love a very good melodrama,sane one of course. It has been long since a decent one in my opinion.With Joo Won's crying ability, I want to lose in his tears and stellar acting.

Military Drama(with bromance as main focus) : as you all have seen,Joo Won +uniform = the greatest co-existence. I really love military related stuffs and it is my dream to see him in one. I wonder if any of you have seen "Into The Sun". It was best military themed drama with Kwon Sang Woo doing fantastic job ever. (yes.He was my first fav actor and somehow he able to enter into my heart again after 10 years.)  My ideal plot  will be Kown Sang Woo as jaded senior officer and Joo Won as weirdo junior officer who like to show off.These two can fight for their love and beliefs but at the end of the day,they are united to protect their homeland.

Sageuk : As good as Princess Man?

High Fantasy : For some reasons,Korean dramas are not creative enough. Even if they tried, they casting is off or the plot is not strong enough.(Water God..ahem..I expected much )It is sad that Kdramas rarely tried high fantasy.I want Joo Won to be in mythical,folk tale like dramas. Joo Won as Heavenly King? Heavenly crown prince? 

Movie ~

For movies,It is simple.Just act with veteran actors first. JUST act in serious roles for movies.Please.No more movies lik Fashion King.

What the hell is wrong with Soompi.. 

• Like 2

@sagaseed @airplanegirl @Ma OO You guys all have some really awesome ideas :) And if anyone else wants to jump in, feel free to do so.

Here's my own personal JW Bucket List of Roles :wink:

1. A straight-up villain. I know that usually, once someone gets to playing first lead, until they end up being more of the "veteran actor" sort, anything else is a bit of a "demotion." But still - I really want to see him do this. Like @airplanegirl and @sagaseed, I honestly think he could pull it off. I know he was already an antagonist as Gu Ma Jun in "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu", but I saw him there as more of a tragic and sympathetic figure than a villain. That little bit in the first episodes of "Gaksital" when he could go full-on psycho crazy with rage or his eyes end up looking a little bit demonic...that was some seriously epic stuff. Like in these screenshots.

gaksital02-00358a.jpg

gaksital3-00451.jpg

So terrifying, but so good!

2. Melo romance. This mostly because, as @sagaseed noted, he's been going on about wanting to take on such a role for the past few years. I do remember from "Life Log", though, is that one of the problems he's run into trying to get a role like that is that people haven't been writing stories like that for a while now.

I had to go back to the version subbed by Joo Won Cuties, but here's what he said: "In actual fact, melodrama is my most favourite genre. If there is a good project... [trails off in thought for a bit] I have a question to ask producers filming melodramas. Why does our country only produce sad melo stories? [laughs] For me...my favourite melo is "The Notebook." Certainly, the ending of the story is that both of the aged couple died together. However, even [though] they fought when they were young, they understood each other more. Therefore, that sort of melo is very beautiful. It was a beautiful project. However, melo [stories] of our country is only crying, screaming, and characters suffering from serious illness. [laughs] Even if I don't say so, I think a beautiful melo can be produced. If there is such a script, please give me a call."

lol - If that's the way it works in Korea...at this rate, he might be better off playing out his dream melo romance in real life :wink:

But to be honest, the type of melodrama role that I would want to see him in is the type described by @Ma OO - the sad type where his ability to express things like anger or sorrow can come into play. I know it's not the type he says he wants, but...he's just too good at the darker stuff, in my opinion. lol

3. A more serious sageuk. I can't be the only one who imagined, prior to "My Sassy Girl", that JW's first sageuk role would be some sort of warrior (e.g. like the guys in "Slave Hunters" or Yoo Ah In's character in "Sungkyunkwan Scandal"). Or a prince (especially a tragic one, like Yoo Ah In in the movie "The Throne"). Or a king (I really liked Kim Soo Hyun's performance in "Moon Embracing the Sun", and would love to see JW tackle something like that). I do like him as a Confucian scholar like Gyun Woo, too - it seems to match his real-life personality really well - but I'd like something other than a rom-com, because I actually think he can pull it off well.

4. Something - anything! - on stage. I'm with @airplanegirl on this one. I don't even mind if he delays a comeback drama in favour of going on stage instead. Firstly, because I know this is something he himself enjoys - he's mentioned in interviews that he feels more free to just act however he wants on stage as opposed to on screen. Secondly, because I think he's awesome as a musical actor and would love to see more of him in this. As for a dream musical role? I...don't really have one. My favourite musicals are some of the biggies from the 1980s/1990s like "Les Miserables", "Phantom of the Opera" or the like - and those often use a more operatic sound than what JW's singing is like. Yes, I know he uses classical technique and resonance, but his voice in and of itself sounds a lot brighter than what you see in the operatic musicals. Not to mention his vocal range, which, to me, sounds higher than a standard tenor (going way back to the vocal analysis post, I, too, noticed that he struggles with the lower notes in tenor aria-type pieces like "This Is the Moment").

Speaking of JW's versatility in taking on various roles, like @sagaseed pointed out, here's this week's Throwback Thursday contribution. It's not all that "old", to be honest, but it's a fun way to reminisce about some of JW's most iconic roles. Park Si On from "Good Doctor" is a character in and of himself in this video; his "brother" is a combination between Gu Ma Jun (from "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu"), Lee Kang To ("Gaksital") and Han Gil Ro ("Level 7 Civil Servant").

By the way, @Ma OO, since you mentioned "Kwon Sang Woo as the jaded senior officer and JW as the weirdo junior officer who likes to show off"...you're reminding me of "Clocking Out" (aka "Overtime"), which JW did last year prior to filming "My Sassy Girl". It's an online mini-series that's really campy B-list sci-fi (really - do not take this show seriously in any way, shape, or form!), but it does have JW playing that sort of smartass character: the newbie who's too full of himself.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update, @airplanegirl! Glad to see that JW is making the headlines the way a celebrity doing his enlistment should - i.e. through doing his job and putting his all into it, as opposed to getting into some sort of trouble. :)

I do crack up at that particular screenshot, though; there's like this "satisfied kitty cat" feel to his expression. I know, weird way to describe it...but that is what I'm seeing.

My last post was about some of the future roles/projects I personally would like to see JW do post-enlistment. Now I'm coming back to respond to some of the ideas you guys had brought up that I hadn't thought of and wanted some time to mull over.

On 9/6/2017 at 10:13 PM, sagaseed said:

This one had never crossed my mind for some reason. Maybe it's because I somehow ended up thinking after watching "Gaksital" that Lee Kang To wouldn't survive past the end of the show for long - you know, just knowing that it was set in 1932 (a long way from 1945!) and Imperial Japan was not yet at its peak and whatnot. Still, we can always hope, right? I, too, like the idea of Lee Kang To running into Ueno Rie again sometime in the future: as allies if not as lovers. It's hard to imagine a sequel without Kimura Shunji, though - even harder than imagining one without Oh Mok Dan.

Hm...possible fanfic idea? I don't know.

On 9/6/2017 at 10:13 PM, sagaseed said:

I really, really like this idea. I personally like the reincarnation concept the most - maybe something that combines sageuk with the present day (I know, it's cliché, but still) or him playing both a character in the present day and said character's ancestor in another time period. Clones or identical twins would be fun as well (like in the fan-made mashup video I posted the other day).

As for the split personality...I like it, but am a bit more cautious about the story. I haven't watched "Kill Me, Heal Me", but have heard some really polarizing opinions on it - most of the feedback I've heard is positive, but those whom I've seen dislike it...REALLY dislike it and think it's crazily over the top in a "They're all nuts!" sort of a way.

On 9/7/2017 at 12:36 PM, Ma OO said:

Military Drama(with bromance as main focus) : as you all have seen,Joo Won +uniform = the greatest co-existence. I really love military related stuffs and it is my dream to see him in one. I wonder if any of you have seen "Into The Sun". It was best military themed drama with Kwon Sang Woo doing fantastic job ever. (yes.He was my first fav actor and somehow he able to enter into my heart again after 10 years.)  My ideal plot  will be Kown Sang Woo as jaded senior officer and Joo Won as weirdo junior officer who like to show off.These two can fight for their love and beliefs but at the end of the day,they are united to protect their homeland.

I love this idea, too - but maybe not for the comeback drama. "Descendants of the Sun" was like that for Song Joong Ki, and for someone to try that again with JW...that just feels like a really desperate attempt to make a Hallyu star out of him. And I don't want that.

However, as, say, a second or third post-enlistment project, or even later...I'm totally for it in that case. As you've said, he looks the part (it's not just that he looks good in uniform, but he carries himself well as a soldier), and we've all seen him doing more serious and/or action-oriented roles really well. Also, seeing him working with more veteran actors in that concept would be great, too.

On 9/7/2017 at 12:36 PM, Ma OO said:

High Fantasy : For some reasons,Korean dramas are not creative enough. Even if they tried, they casting is off or the plot is not strong enough.(Water God..ahem..I expected much )It is sad that Kdramas rarely tried high fantasy.I want Joo Won to be in mythical,folk tale like dramas. Joo Won as Heavenly King? Heavenly crown prince?

Ooh...sounds fun! Just...no vampires, okay? That's getting old <_<

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

I love this idea, too - but maybe not for the comeback drama. "Descendants of the Sun" was like that for Song Joong Ki, and for someone to try that again with JW...that just feels like a really desperate attempt to make a Hallyu star out of him. And I don't want that.

However, as, say, a second or third post-enlistment project, or even later...I'm totally for it in that case. As you've said, he looks the part (it's not just that he looks good in uniform, but he carries himself well as a soldier), and we've all seen him doing more serious and/or action-oriented roles really well. Also, seeing him working with more veteran actors in that concept would be great, too.

Ooh...sounds fun! Just...no vampires, okay? That's getting old <_<

I will not call DOTS  good military drama. (Which soldiers played with guns at night? And all the sudden-recovery after getting shot ..EEEE total disgrace)For Military themed drama,I want serious one with bromance as focus. Of cos,as logical as possible. I don't need Joo Won to be a hallyu star,he is good as he is now.

To be honest,the last few projects really made me unsatisfied.it seems like he diverged from his usual drama/movie choices. None of his latest projects are interesting or "good" enough. I mostly blame his agency for making him choose these type of dramas. But honestly, I liked him because he often choose unique dramas with atypical characters.And as we have seen,it is often a hit. (Bridal Mask,Good Doctor or even Ma Joon)

PS : I hate vampires too. No vampires, no grim reapers.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2017 at 12:12 PM, Ma OO said:

I will not call DOTS  good military drama. (Which soldiers played with guns at night? And all the sudden-recovery after getting shot ..EEEE total disgrace)For Military themed drama,I want serious one with bromance as focus. Of cos,as logical as possible.

Thanks for that point. Personally, military drama and/or film isn't a genre I'm all that familiar with - and in the time since I started watching K-dramas, DOTS was simply the first one that showed up on my radar. I'm not a huge fan of it myself, to be honest. I didn't think it was bad per se, just decent - but the way it was so hyped up really made me go into it with high expectations that, in hindsight, could probably never have been realistically met. I think it was just one of those shows that could have been really great social commentary (e.g. all the issues they ended up addressing about the military, medicine, humanitarian aid, etc.), but decided to emphasize the romance, which made everything else fall a bit flat. And I'm not a big romance person.

Personally, I prefer stories about familial relationships or friendships - including bromance. One of my favourite things about K-drama is the many ways they explore same-sex friendships: that you can be in really close - even intimate - platonic relationship without it feeling awkward or without feeling like people would judge you for it. So a military drama that plays on the whole "band of brothers" concept...yeah, I can get behind that, no problem. :)

I don't need Joo Won to be a hallyu star,he is good as he is now.

Same here. At first, I thought it was a bit weird that JW wasn't a full-on hallyu star - he's in that place in the middle where he's definitely a lot more popular than many other male celebrities, but is still quite a ways off compared to the ones we usually see as "hallyu stars". But now that I've gotten used to the idea and how it works...I like that. A lot. I don't know - maybe it's that feeling that the thing that is undervalued is actually the most precious. I've grown to like the way JW slips under the radar sometimes - and the subsequent closeness that develops within his fandom as well: like we're all in on something that most people don't notice.

Not that that doesn't stop me from getting mad when I think JW isn't given enough credit. For example: when JW publicly announced his military enlistment date, it coincided with Good Friday. So K-ent news websites like Dramafever weren't posting any new stories that day, working on their weekend/holiday schedules. I thought, "Okay, fine. I'll wait until Monday to see what they have to say to that." At the beginning of the next week, though, Lee Min Ho also announced his enlistment date. There's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, nor do I have anything against him; I'm not his fan, but I know many people are. However, what did end up ticking me off was that Dramafever reported Lee Min Ho's announcement right away...and skipped over JW's entirely. :angry: I remember thinking, "I get that JW's not as big a name as LMH, but he's not that insignificant, is he? You could have just posted both stories on the same day!"

In hindsight...I guess that's why they call it a bias :wink:

To be honest,the last few projects really made me unsatisfied.it seems like he diverged from his usual drama/movie choices. None of his latest projects are interesting or "good" enough. I mostly blame his agency for making him choose these type of dramas. But honestly, I liked him because he often choose unique dramas with atypical characters.And as we have seen,it is often a hit. (Bridal Mask,Good Doctor or even Ma Joon)

Now I'm curious: which dramas did you think were good ones for JW, and which ones weren't?

Until I joined this forum earlier this summer, I hadn't given much thought on why JW wound up with the roles he did, or whether they were his choice or his agency's. Call me naive, but I suppose I just simply trusted that whatever project JW took on, it was one that he and his agency had come to a consensus or compromise about. One thing's for sure: whether I like the project or think it works to JW's strengths or not, I can trust him to give the role 100% effort, and that, for me, leads to a rewarding viewing experience regardless.

But that being said, I'm like you in that my favourite JW roles were the ones where he went outside the box, or where he was noticeably challenging himself as an actor. So, like you were saying, I saw that in "Gaksital" and "Good Doctor" - both times, he was challenging himself in completely different ways. And I also really liked his character, Gu Ma Jun, in "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu" - he had so many layers, so I would be alternately loving, hating, and feeling bad for him. I ultimately became more invested in his character development than Kim Tak Gu's to be honest - nothing against Yoon Si Yoon's performance (which was also awesome), but that's just my take on how the characters were written.

PS : I hate vampires too. No vampires, no grim reapers.

The whole vampire thing, for me, is just overdone - people have been going on about vampire romances for at least the past ten to fifteen years or so where I'm from, starting with things like "Twilight", so by the time it made it over to Korea...I was already bored with the idea.

As for the idea of a grim reaper...I don't know how often it's been done, but now you have me thinking. What if JW took on a project with a story similar to "Death Note" - not as the grim reaper character, but the main character (i.e. someone who becomes a serial killer because he thought doing so would remove evil from this world)? Because as much as I said I wanted to see JW play a villain sometime in the future, the ones who are just psychopathic also don't do it for me. I want a villain like, say, Kimura Shunji in "Gaksital" or Min Jin Gook in "I Hear Your Voice": the person who started off good, but went really, really bad.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone!

I came back from my long vacation from soompi.. I was too addicted with Soompi Thread after I joined here and in My Sassy Girl thread. Not that I wasn't updated with JW news, just avoided coming in to soompi. But I thought it was enough long vacation and I missed chatting about JW with you all..I'm glad to see this thread in top when I logged in today. :) aaah...I've lots to read... 

And these days I'm quite happy as there are not only some nice news on JW Army has released CF.. :D And I'm absolutely happy with MOUNTIA as they're releasing nice JW collection...errr I mean their fall collection.. :lol: Joo Won looks soo goood... :heart:

DJboEMGXcAA59tn.jpg

DJboa4JXUAAitdb.jpg

DJboEMEW0AA092d.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for all the new pictures, @airplanegirl - I know I don't comment on them often, but I do want to say that logging on to see more photos of JW in the military makes my day. :) Each time, I smile and also breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that he's staying out of trouble. So keep it up!

Fun side effect, at least for the time being, is that we also get updates on Ji Chang Wook by proxy. I don't know if that will continue after his training is done, but I'll take what I can get for now :wink:

And welcome back, @flutterby06. Yes, we have had a lot of discussion topics come and go - the most recent one was a brainstorm about what sorts of dramas/films/musicals/roles in general we'd like to see JW do after his enlistment ends. I know it's already been a few days since that point, but please feel free to contribute :)

• Like 3