Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Happy new Year, Everyone!

EqlIv6qUUAAzHta?format=jpg&name=large

My random wishes that came true--

1. I hope @kittyna you remember I was wishing for Joo Won to be on 2020 SBS Drama Awards Daesang nominee.. Though I know he wouldn't be getiing daesang this year but I wanted recognition for his daesang worthy acting. Also I love dit that they had limited nominee this year 7 daesang nominee. And Both Alice Mom-son got nomination.. Yee..

2. And He got PRODUCER AWARD the one right after Daesang.. So happy for him. I also talked with another fan on twitter- she was hopping for top excellence and asking me what I think he may get. My honest opinion was I would like him to win Producer AWARD this year. His portrayal of Park Jin Gyeom is too good and this kind of acting should get its deserved recognition. If he can't get Daesang this year, I would highly appreciate it if he gets PD Award. He got it from KBS back in 2013 and now from SBS. Yoo Hoo... the dependable actor our Wonnie. :fullofhearts: I am so glad .. this is like Critics Award.. :partyblob:

Joowon was so teasing the fans with anxiousness though.. fans were wondering if he'd attend or not. His Daesang nomination came in news while the award show was still going on and he posted that cute tik tok video some time before his appearance- his way of confirming fans- I'm here people, look forward to it!

EqlIv6qUUAAzHta?format=jpg&name=large

Source: https://twitter.com/SBSNOW/status/1344685987792703489

video clip:

My Translation of his award Speech:

"Hello, this is Joo Won.

First I would like to thank God. I am very happy that in the beginning of New Year I am receiving such a big prize like Producer Award that gives the actors pride and I would like to express my gratitude again.

CEO Han Jeonghan, Director Baek Soo Chan, Kim Hee Sun Noona and all actors and staffs who made it possible to film Alice with happiness and handwork till the last moment even in this difficult (covid 19) situation- I was very happy and I would like to thank you all.

To my loving parents and family who always love and support me most, my agency members, our staff members and my dear fans- thank you from bottom of my heart.

Right now all of us are passing through a difficult time. These days after I wake up from sleep I check for the number of confirmed case. So I feel like I am starting each day with worrying. It is probably same for many people. Though it will possibly not change right away but this year I would like to start my days with fluttering heart, thinking about what happy things can happen today.

It will be full of good things, everyone. Happy New Year, Thank You. "

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think this award will be memorable for Joo won, not only because it is second time he got this Producer's Choice award, but also because it is his first award in his 30's, it's like it is second innings of his career

I hope his movie "Firefighter" also does well, so that it will help him get his first award in Movie categories, since he has no awards in his movie career.

4 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

2. And He got PRODUCER AWARD the one right after Daesang..

It is more like a similar award minus the popularity and ratings. Otherwise, it is on par with Daesang. I guess in producer's award they take into efforts of the artist  and commitment towards the role.

His portrayal of Park Jin Gyeom is too good and this kind of acting should get its deserved recognition. If he can't get Daesang this year, I would highly appreciate it if he gets PD Award.

Yup, lot of fans and non-fans liked the character but sort of let down by the story of "Alice", if it weren't for sloppy writing and under-utilization of the characters, Alice would have done better and would have got more than one award.

11 hours ago, kittyna said:

I do wish the rest of the Alice cast got to take home something, though...they were all awesome

They lost to the leads, like the categories in which Lee Da-In and Kwak Si Yand got nominated were sort of competing with the leads of other dramas, who had more screen time and opportunity to display their acting skills. I was sort of surprised that these two were nominated in the first place, given the screen time. It almost felt like the writers decided only to use the lead roles for the whole drama and wanted to utilize other characters just for fillers.

Joowon was so teasing the fans with anxiousness though.. fans were wondering if he'd attend or not.

It was also like a surprise, like it was presented in the end before the Daesang award and there was no nomination list either. But this award does signifies that Joo won's acting skills has improved and he can see more shades in his future dramas with different story lines, now that he is a senior actor, I guess his agency will give him more freedom to choose his own script and will not reject or force him to do the dramas which he is not interested.

And also, I am glad  Joo won or rather his stylist went for Black Suit for the ceremony. I feel like he  looks more  dashing in Suit  than in Tuxedo. :glasses:

• Like 2

1. I hope @kittyna you remember I was wishing for Joo Won to be on 2020 SBS Drama Awards Daesang nominee.. Though I know he wouldn't be getiing daesang this year but I wanted recognition for his daesang worthy acting. Also I love dit that they had limited nominee this year 7 daesang nominee. And Both Alice Mom-son got nomination.. Yee..

I do vaguely remember that conversation - and I think I was on board with wanting JW to get the Daesang at first, too. But then once I found out that Penthouse was being included for awards consideration (I initially thought it wouldn't be because it's still ongoing), I was just like, "Yeah...no. Not gonna happen this year :P". As @kireeti2 pointed out, the Daesang does take ratings and the drama's overall contribution to the network into consideration, and even if, on the off chance, Alice could contend against Hot Stove League and Romantic Dr. Kim 2...it wouldn't have stood a chance against both of those and Penthouse all at once.

And I was hoping to find some list of nominees prior to today, but I couldn't. SBS's Instagram account only mentioned "Best Drama" and "Best Kiss" - maybe because of audience polling? - and so I still have no idea who was nominated for Daesang, to be honest: just that Namgoong Min won it and that (now that you mentioned it) JW and Kim Hee Sun were both nominated.

I am so glad .. this is like Critics Award..

11 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

It is more like a similar award minus the popularity and ratings. Otherwise, it is on par with Daesang. I guess in producer's award they take into efforts of the artist  and commitment towards the role.

Oh, okay - so I wasn't remembering incorrectly about what the PD Awards (in any network) were about. :) 

13 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

But this award does signifies that Joo won's acting skills has improved and he can see more shades in his future dramas with different story lines, now that he is a senior actor, I guess his agency will give him more freedom to choose his own script and will not reject or force him to do the dramas which he is not interested.

Well, business will always be business, so I don't think his agency (or any talent agency, for that matter) would take a completely "hands off" approach. ;) 

However, I do seem to recall JW saying in his Christmas vlog that he's started looking into ideas for his next project - but I'm pretty sure it will have to wait until after Ghost is done. Even if JW has the time and energy to tackle multiple projects, that's still not a wise decision while COVID-19 is around :mask:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I think I was on board with wanting JW to get the Daesang at first

No, Joo won did not get nominated for Daesang, it  Kim Hee Sun did. Joo won nominated for "Top Excellent Actor" with his fellow actors like Lee Mi Ho and Ji Chang-Wook. So, the Producer Award was a surprise to me and it is given every year to the best performing actress/actors who were able to captivate the audience with their acting, last year it was Jang Na-Ra who got the Producer Award

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

No, Joo won did not get nominated for Daesang, it  Kim Hee Sun did. Joo won nominated for "Top Excellent Actor" with his fellow actors like Lee Mi Ho and Ji Chang-Wook. So, the Producer Award was a surprise to me and it is given every year to the best performing actress/actors who were able to captivate the audience with their acting, last year it was Jang Na-Ra who got the Producer Award

Joo Won is nominee number 6 among  7 daesang nominees of 2020 SBS Drama Awards.

EqkzBDdUcAMi6I1?format=jpg&name=small

Like I said I wasn't expecting him to win in this list considering other dramas' higher ratings but I did want to see him in the nominee list. Because he did great.

Winner of two PD Awards- 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

Oh, I did not know that, since, the list is still unchanged. And also, two nominees from one drama for Daesang seemed like some kind of mistake, and it was long a short even for Kim Hee Sun(Since she had to do three kind of roles with three different age groups) , let alone for Joo won. Nevertheless, getting nominated for Daesang is itself an sign of strong performance of the artist.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

by the way, just how rare is it for a JW drama not to have a kiss scene at all?).

It is rare indeed. Like, there are only two dramas of Joo won's where there is no kiss scene(Alice and Nae-il' Cantabile)

But, Kiss scenes are rare in his movies, like apart from Steal My heart movie, there is no proper kiss scene in his movies

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

Even if JW has the time and energy to tackle multiple projects, that's still not a wise decision while COVID-19 is around

But his peers and other artists are doing projects after projects with COVID-19 safety precautions, I don't see why can't Joo won do it. Anyway, Joo won does take time to start new project and it seems like he is taking a lot into consideration before choosing a project.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

But his peers and other artists are doing projects after projects with COVID-19 safety precautions, I don't see why can't Joo won do it.

Consecutive projects, sure - but not two things at the same time (which is what I meant by "multiple"). Point is, I think he won't actually start filming a new drama or film until after Ghost has finished its run - which, if performances resume on schedule, would be sometime in March.

Also, as a fan, I have to be realistic: anytime someone goes out for any reason, there is still a risk - even with masks, social distancing measures, etc. If JW or any other artist has to work, I won't fault them for that, of course, but I still want to be a responsible consumer and acknowledge that my wish to see him doing more projects at this point in time means that I'm also asking him to continue to put his health (and that of others) at risk. JW's decision on how many projects to take, when to take them, etc. is ultimately his, but I need to be conscious of the role that market and fandom demands play in that decision.

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Joo won nominated for "Top Excellent Actor" with his fellow actors like Lee Mi Ho and Ji Chang-Wook.

5 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Oh, I did not know that, since, the list is still unchanged. And also, two nominees from one drama for Daesang seemed like some kind of mistake, and it was long a short even for Kim Hee Sun(Since she had to do three kind of roles with three different age groups) , let alone for Joo won.

If I recall correctly, there is usually a lot of overlap between nominees for Top Excellence and Daesang - so if someone doesn't get Top Excellence, it could be just that or it could be that they'll end up getting the Daesang instead.

It is rare indeed. Like, there are only two dramas of Joo won's where there is no kiss scene(Alice and Nae-il' Cantabile)

I know that with Nae Il's Cantabile, a number of fans felt cheated out of a kiss scene at the time. But in hindsight, I actually think the lack of a kiss scene makes sense, because both of the major couples (Cha Yoo Jin/Seol Nae Il, Yoo Il Rak/Jung Si Won) are just starting out by the end of the drama. They're not quite at the kissing stage yet, especially in the case of Yoo Jin and Nae Il, since he's so generally cautious about letting others get close to him: both emotionally and physically. Looking back, if he needed a more precise label than just being straight/heterosexual (which he is - and, if asked, that's how he'd self-identify), there's reasonable argument that he's also demisexual (i.e. only feels physical attraction to someone with whom one already has an emotional connection).

As for Alice, there's no real romance at all, except for the one between Yoo Min Hyuk and 2050-Yoon Tae Yi - and I still think that Park Jin Gyeom is asexual (or, at least, he is prior to the reset). By the way, I don't remember if there was a kiss between Captain Go and his wife, though. There probably was - just more of the quick peck sort.

JW's Instagram update

• Like 2

And there's more ...

Best 1 minute of 2020 SBS Drama Awards with highest viewership rating of 9.6% is the moment when Joo Won received PD Award.

Eqn-051VEAI5k98?format=jpg&name=large

News From SBS: https://ent.sbs.co.kr/amp/article.do?article_id=E10010128600&article_id=E10010128600&utm_medium=referral&cooper=ent sbs co kr&__twitter_impression=true

Usually Daesang speech should get this attention considering how people has most interest on who's getting Daesang. But Our Joo Won got the moment. I feel so happy for him. :partyblob:

Kim Hee Sun, Go Kyung Pyo, Lim Ji Yeon and Yoo In Young congratulated Joo Won. His friends are happy for him. I his Musical Hyung Kim Woo Hyung who's playing Sam also congratulated him.

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

It's understandable why the SBS Drama Awards just had actors coming into the building, waiting backstage, then going up on stage one at a time (or two to three if it was a joint award), but we did end up missing out on what could have been a cute reunion between JW and Eugene. Crazy to think that ten years ago, she was an established idol , and he was still the young rookie whippersnapper :P Now, they could both proudly share the same awards stage (albeit not simultaneously), and it's a really neat reminder of how much time has gone by.

(And, yes, the song that JW sang for the King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu OST did just come up on my playlist by fluke a few minutes ago - so I'm in something of a mood right now ;))

Someone in the comments on this post also pointed out that Choi Kang Hee received an award that night, too - which would have wound up with an even cuter three-way :love:

JW's post-award greeting to fans

7 hours ago, partyon said:

I just completed Good Doctor and I have to give credit to Joo Won's amazing acting. What a fine job he did playing Park Sion !

Ooh.... :approves:

Yeah, for anyone who likes JW's dramas or wants to be introduced to his acting (not sure which side you fit more on, @partyon), Good Doctor is a must-see :) That's also, since we're still on the subject of the SBS Drama Awards here, the other production he got a Producer's Award for (albeit on KBS).

Usually Daesang speech should get this attention considering how people has most interest on who's getting Daesang. But Our Joo Won got the moment. I feel so happy for him. 

I'm surprised to hear that - and also a little bit weirded out, to be honest. Like, did some people just turn off their TVs after JW's speech or something???

Okay, maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I am genuinely curious just what happened there.

Kim Hee Sun, Go Kyung Pyo, Lim Ji Yeon and Yoo In Young congratulated Joo Won. His friends are happy for him. I his Musical Hyung Kim Woo Hyung who's playing Sam also congratulated him.

Aw...those messages are so sweet :) 

By the way, does anyone know what JW said in reply to Kim Hee Sun?

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

4 hours ago, kittyna said:

Yeah, for anyone who likes JW's dramas or wants to be introduced to his acting (not sure which side you fit more on, @partyon), Good Doctor is a must-see :) 

Honestly, I don’t know much about Joo Won. :blush: I had only seen him in Nodame Cantabile and really didn’t care for his character in that one. But one of my chingus like him (and his abs :D ) a lot, so I thought I would give him another chance as an actor. Also, Good Doctor had been on my watchlist because of Moon Chae Won for years so I thought why not?

Matt Leblanc Reaction GIF

I have to say that I really enjoyed Good Doctor and I am glad I binge watched it, because otherwise I wouldn’t have realized what a great actor Joo Won is. 

I tried to start Alice back when it aired, but the story wasn’t really my cup of tea so dropped it after the first episode. I did see some pics and gifs of Joo Won’s abs though from that drama. Holy smokes! :love: Haha

The only actor thread I am a regular in is Choi Jin Hyuk oppa’s, so am really sorry that I barged in here without much knowledge about Joo Won. :please:
In any case, I hope Joo Won picks a great and interesting project next! Hopefully one with a lot of shirtless scenes :joy:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, partyon said:

I had only seen him in Nodame Cantabile and really didn’t care for his character in that one

Well, Rom-Com is really not Joo won's thing. Maybe he could do well in few comical scenes but he needs help from supporting cast members for the scene to achieve its comedy. But, Joo won really shines in action and melodrama roles(like, Yong-Pal and Good Doctor) and also, he has done a decent job in playing antagonist(like in Baker's King Kim Ta Ku drama and Sweet Sixteen Movie). So, except for Rom-Com(barring from few comedic roles), Joo won pretty much can take up any role thrown at him.

2 hours ago, partyon said:

but the story wasn’t really my cup of tea so dropped it after the first episode.

Yeah, story really ruined the drama. Lot of viewers were busy searching for answers instead of enjoying the show. And also, drama was plagued with plot holes and bad writing from the writers. Story had potential but it was ruined due to bad implementation

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

Well, Rom-Com is really not Joo won's thing. Maybe he could do well in few comical scenes but he needs help from supporting cast members for the scene to achieve its comedy. But, Joo won really shines in action and melodrama roles(like, Yong-Pal and Good Doctor) and also, he has done a decent job in playing antagonist.

Oh, wow, I didn’t know that! With Nodame Cantabile I just assumed that it was because of how the character was written. But then again, I do remember watching the Japanese one and liked Chiaki a lot more in that one. Joo Won’s character was somehow overly harsh and unlikeable.

He was quite funny in Good Doctor so I just assumed that he has a knack for playing comedies. It really surprises me to hear comedies and rom-coms are not his thing. 

I think I should very much like to watch him in an action role or as an antagonist next. Which drama would you recommend the most?

Yeah, story really ruined the drama. Lot of viewers were busy searching for answers instead of enjoying the show. And also, drama was plagued with plot holes and bad writing from the writers. Story had potential but it was ruined due to bad implementation

I heard. Had many chingus who were watching it and I heard many complaints. It’s a pity because I really like the FL too and wanted to watch it :( 

In any case, if you have any good suggestions about a Joo Won antagonist or action role, please let me know.

I am in such a drama slump right now (keep dropping all new dramas that start airing), that it’s safer for me to watch older dramas.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

But, Joo won really shines in action and melodrama roles(like, Yong-Pal and Good Doctor) and also, he has done a decent job in playing antagonist(like in Baker's King Kim Ta Ku drama and Sweet Sixteen Movie). So, except for Rom-Com(barring from few comedic roles), Joo won pretty much can take up any role thrown at him.

4 hours ago, partyon said:

I think I should very much like to watch him in an action role or as an antagonist next. Which drama would you recommend the most?

I completely second @kireeti2 in recommending Yong Pal, especially since JW plays a doctor there as well, but in almost a complete 180 personality-wise from Good Doctor. Like, if Park Si On is this really cute and innocent fluffball, then Kim Tae Hyun (JW's lead character in Yong Pal) is this crass-talking, in-your-face "urban" type (he describes himself as "half a gangster", so you figure it out ;)). I will say in advance that the second half of Yong Pal shifts its focus quite heavily onto Kim Tae Hee's female lead and JW doesn't get as many quick-paced action scenes then - but that's also when his part shifts more into melo/drama in style, and I'd argue he holds his own as the show's moral compass then :) 

(FYI: in general, I tend to recommend Good Doctor and Yong Pal as the big "must watch" JW dramas. The others would depend on your style/preferences: Gaksital if you like action and dark melodrama, Ojakgyo Brothers if you prefer a more heartwarming long family drama, King of Baking Kim Tak Gu if you don't mind the makjang that was popular ten years ago, etc.)

Oh, wow, I didn’t know that! With Nodame Cantabile I just assumed that it was because of how the character was written. But then again, I do remember watching the Japanese one and liked Chiaki a lot more in that one. Joo Won’s character was somehow overly harsh and unlikeable.

I was holding off on responding to your initial comment about Nae Il's Cantabile until I knew what you didn't enjoy about JW's character. And yeah, that's fair criticism. I haven't watched the Japanese version, so I really can't compare, but Cha Yoo Jin does start off pretty unlikeable.

Also, rather than being generally weak in comedic roles, I'd say that JW works best in roles with a lot of character depth that he could sink his teeth into. Nae Il's Cantabile, as written, doesn't really provide that - I'm not sure about Chiaki, but Cha Yoo Jin is pretty much the tsundere poster child, and it may take a lot more work than just what the script provides to really make him come across as an actual human being :P 

People who've known me longer in this forum will know that despite its weaknesses, Nae Il's Cantabile is one of my favourites, so they might be surprised at my criticism here. However, my liking for it is mostly because I did actually end up finding Cha Yoo Jin's experiences relatable in some ways that would be personal or uniquely mine. So, most of my love for it (again, as longtime readers here would know) comes out in my massive series of sequel fanfics, where I hope to show how the initially more cartoonish characters might grow and mature over time. :) 

Well, Rom-Com is really not Joo won's thing. Maybe he could do well in few comical scenes but he needs help from supporting cast members for the scene to achieve its comedy

He was quite funny in Good Doctor so I just assumed that he has a knack for playing comedies. It really surprises me to hear comedies and rom-coms are not his thing. 

In terms of JW's comedy, Good Doctor really is the best from him, hands-down. Most of his other comic moments are of the "straight man" variety, where the humour comes in his deadpan reactions to something funny that's happening. So generally, slapstick aside, I'd describe his style in Nae Il's Cantabile that way, and there are similar scenes in Alice as well.

I heard. Had many chingus who were watching it and I heard many complaints. It’s a pity because I really like the FL too and wanted to watch it :( 

I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but in hindsight...I'd say that Alice is a pre-produced drama that strangely feels like a liveshoot drama in its storytelling and writing. Since it looks like you've been into Hallyu for a long time, @partyon, I'm sure you'll know what I mean ;) 

8 hours ago, partyon said:

The only actor thread I am a regular in is Choi Jin Hyuk oppa’s, so am really sorry that I barged in here without much knowledge about Joo Won.

By the way, there's no need to worry about that - this forum's usually quiet enough that I always appreciate a new face :approves:

I usually just hang out here (with the occasional poll/event participation, as you'd know ;)) but that's because despite liking a lot of actors and actresses for their work, I prefer to focus my time and attention on a single bias - and JW actually won out for me due to his personality more than his performance :) 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

In terms of JW's comedy, Good Doctor really is the best from him, hands-down.

That's because of the supporting cast members:sweat_smile:. Like I said earlier, joo won does well in comedic scene only if he has support from his fellow cast members. And by the way I feel like, out of all his fellow actors like (LMH and JCW) Joo won as edge when it comes to comedy, and versatility in acting. Of course, he has his own signature acting like playing multiple  roles like emotionally scared and apathetic towards others.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

9 hours ago, partyon said:

In any case, if you have any good suggestions about a Joo Won antagonist or action role, please let me know.

I am in such a drama slump right now (keep dropping all new dramas that start airing), that it’s safer for me to watch older dramas.

Sorry I'm busy with family event so can't welcome you here along with Kireeti2 and Kittyna.. but it's good to see someone who enjoyed Good Doctor and thought to share it on here. Thanks a lot for coming here letting us know.

Joo won played a proper antagonist on his first TV role 'Baker King Kim Takgu'. It's fun if you don't dislike Makjang family type drama very much. It's makjang romance and family drama. It has its good and bad side but I saw many people enjoyed it including non Joo Won.

Gaksital/Bridal Mask is a action drama which is quite popular among most viewers. It's a drama that I want to recommend anyone who like KDrama regardless of genre preference. It's awesome. And can't tell much about JW's character because it can be somewhat spoiler.

Other than that Yong Pal. It's not really action drama but its an exciting drama. Joo Won got Daesang for it. 

I read above that you didn't like Tomorrow Cantabile so I won't recommend it. I would have if you're in mood for something light and cute.

For now that's all my recommendation.

That's because of the supporting cast members:sweat_smile:. Like I said earlier, joo won does well in comedic scene only if he has support from his fellow cast members. And by the way I feel like, out of all his fellow actors like (LMH and JCW) Joo won as edge when it comes to comedy, and versatility in acting. Of course, he has his own signature acting like playing multiple  roles like emotionally scared and apathetic towards others.

@kireeti2, let's not mention other actors initial. It may look like we're downgrading them which I'm sure not you're not. You're just expressing your honest opinion as a viewer of K-Drama. But their fan can misunderstood it. 

18 hours ago, kittyna said:

By the way, does anyone know what JW said in reply to Kim Hee Sun?

Joo won replied: You should've been there.

Other Sam from Musical Ghost Kim Woo Hyung also commented:

EqoXWanVQAEOYmE?format=jpg&name=medium

KWH: You're the best my brother.

JW: hehe ~ Hyung ( JW added a nickname for KWH probably).

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

And by the way I feel like, out of all his fellow actors like (LMH and JCW) Joo won as edge when it comes to comedy, and versatility in acting. Of course, he has his own signature acting like playing multiple  roles like emotionally scared and apathetic towards others.

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

let's not mention other actors initial. It may look like we're downgrading them which I'm sure not you're not. You're just expressing your honest opinion as a viewer of K-Drama. But their fan can misunderstood it. 

For me, I'd say that each actor and actress has their own strengths and weaknesses - and I'm in the weird position of being so unfamiliar with Lee Min Ho in particular that I honestly can't compare him with JW fairly.

However, that being said, I do want to second @flutterby06's concerns for a second. While I don't see a problem with comparison in and of itself, since it's such a common way for people to understand and interpret their world that it's pretty much inevitable, I do want to point out that - whether you meant it or not - you wound up referencing two actors whom I know have been compared with JW many times by his fans, sometimes with toxic results.

Spoiler

This is particularly the case when it comes to comparing JW with Lee Min Ho. It's hard not to, given that both starred recently in parallel universe dramas from SBS :P And I do still think that comparing The King: Eternal Monarch and Alice is fair game. However, I've seen enough instances over the years where - whether intentionally or not - JW fans wound up lifting him up by bashing LMH's acting specifically that, despite not knowing LMH as an actor at all, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Long story short: because JW is something of an underdog among the more prominent Hallyu actors, we as JW's fans end up coming across as really salty, petty or jealous when we make comparative comments like that. I don't think that's what anyone is trying to do here, but it is important to be conscious that comments we make can be misinterpreted that way.

At the same time, though, @flutterby06, I think we should be careful about painting other actors' fandoms with a broad brush either. There are all sorts of personalities out there, so some people will inevitably be overly defensive to the point of toxicity, but I like to assume that we're mostly reasonable adults who could come together to discuss our love for K-drama as a whole. :thumbsup:

Actually, now that we've come to this topic of comparisons, I will confess that this is also why I was weirded out when I found out from you guys about the ratings for the SBS Drama Awards being highest during JW's speech. Like, I'm sure that no-one meant it as a dig at Namgoong Min's Daesang, but I was worried that it would be taken that way. lol - Maybe I should take my own advice for once :sweat_smile:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Long story short: because JW is something of an underdog among the more prominent Hallyu actors, we as JW's fans end up coming across as really salty, petty or jealous when we make comparative comments like that. I don't think that's what anyone is trying to do here, but it is important to be conscious that comments we make can be misinterpreted that way.

Frankly I don't see the problem comparing actors in general forum but as it's JW forum it's best to talk things that is related to JW. When we talk good about other actors it's not a major problem but things can be taken out of context when it seems like a critical opinion, even if it's very basic critical opinion. Yes.. not always.. but you never know.

Also I'm sure all of us here aren't just JW fans, we're KDrama fans too.. We don't just watch Joo Won drama, Do we? So comparison is bound to come when we have watched enough people's performance for long enough. Differences of opinion is bound to happen and people would like to share those on suitable platform too.

I have my criticism of some Hallyu actors too. So when it's done in a general thread I don't see the problem no matter how salty it looks like. Honestly many people aren't salty why JW isn't Hallyu when he is so good at acting. They look like salty when they point out some of the Hallyu actor aren't really performer still managed to be in focus because of popularity.

Also there are plenty of people who aren't biased about JW and have other major bias actor but they still quite honestly speak about how Joo Won's acting style is far better than many actors' of his age group. So it's kind of a fact among many KDrama viewers who has been watching KDrama for a long time.

At the same time, though, @flutterby06, I think we should be careful about painting other actors' fandoms with a broad brush either.

Will keep that in mind. Thanks for heads up.

Actually, now that we've come to this topic of comparisons, I will confess that this is also why I was weirded out when I found out from you guys about the ratings for the SBS Drama Awards being highest during JW's speech. Like, I'm sure that no-one meant it as a dig at Namgoong Min's Daesang, but I was worried that it would be taken that way. lol - Maybe I should take my own advice for once :sweat_smile:

It's not a news from 3rd party. Released by SBS about their best one minute. So it's not manipulated news so why're you so worried!

No one is trying to downplay NGM's moment because many knew either it's NGM or HSG who's getting SBS Daesang. But HSG didn't attend. So it automatically pointed towards NGM.

Anyways many people in Naver actually commented before PD award announced-why isn't hasn't JW gotten any award yet? People kind of expecting him to win something when his performance was for Alice was amazing regardless of how the drama ended. 

It was also a suspence for people whether he is attending or not. So when there's no news of JW attending nor any award for him many left comments in Naver. I saw screen shots somewhere but they are now buried below many post.

People only knew he joined when he wished Happy New Year on Tik Tok and I'm sure only JW fans knew about it.

Anyways sharing this cute video again..

Joo Won giving his comment to media-

• Like 3

Forgot if I shared it here. If I have let me do it again. It's a news of 21/12/2020.

In regards to JW's in general viewership I would like to share this ranking that came from Wavve which is VOD platform in South Korea.

EqAS72dVQAEY_Uk?format=jpg&name=small

They made a list of celebrity whose video content has most likes by the subscribers of Wavve in 2020. The liked video contents includes past works of those celebrities as well. Joo Won ranked 6th among the list of 20.

Let me give the list below in English:

1. BTS

2. Kim Soo Hyun

3. Kim Seon Ho

4. Ji Chang Wook & Kim Yoo Jung

5. Gong Yoo

6. Joo Won :heart:

7. Christopher Nolan

8. Bae Doona & Cho Seung Woo

9. Satomi Ishihara

10. Lee Min Ho

11. IU

12. Nam Goong Min

13. Jang Yak Yoon

14. Kang Dong Won

15. Kwon Sang Woo

16. Deng Lun

17. Kentaro

18. Kim Jae Hwan

19. Hwang Jeong Eum

20. Masaki Suda

News: http://m.slist.kr/news/ampArticleView.html?idxno=211706&__twitter_impression=true

This means Joo Won's viewer number increased after many people saw his performance in Alice. Well, of course some of his existing fans played some part but to be among top 10, I'm sure he gained a lot more of new interested viewers who are watching JW for the first time through Alice. And they are interested enough to look at his previous projects and like those contents. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1