ums drive deletion

Guest thatguy

Guest thatguy

i have a usb external sd/mmc card reader so when i pluged it in it reads it, but when i unplug it and plug it back in it makes a new drive each time. So basically it created 2 "removable disk drives (H: & J)" how do i delete them, i tried searching in "add/remove programs" but dont see it there.

Guest nevets1219

Generally an icon will pop up near where your clock shows up saying it's plugged in and depending on the setup of the thumb drive (quick removal or the other option which I believe is quick write or cache) you have 2 methods for actually removing the device. For quick removal you can just unplug it and it should be removed. For quick write, you would have to actually tell the software (OS) to remove the drive, wait for confirmation, and then actually physically remove the drive itself.

Add/Remove Program only removes program and does not affect the hardware (unless the software is in direct contact and control of the hardware). So using this will not work. You should try Device Manager for that. Generally a refresh or reboot (worst case) will "remove" the drive from view if it isn't there.

Guest thatguy

yah i tested it out by pluggin it in again and it seems that i have to click on the the "safely remove icon" before pulling it out for it to get rid of the drive. I didnt think it was neccessary because it was plug-n-play but i got rid of the other two by just rebooting. thanks alot.

Guest nevets1219

If you want you can change it to be optimized for quick removal so that you don't have to use the "Safely Remove Icon". I think just right click drive -> properties and somewhere in there you have the choice of quick removal.

Archived