Shin Ha Kyun 신하균

Guest OreoVampire

Aug 21, 2006

A Serious Man for a Serious Job: Shin Ha-Gyun

Shin Ha-gyun is known as a man of few words in the Korean film industry. The reticent actor plays a speechless killer in his new film "No Mercy for the Rude," to be released on Aug. 24. Shin says only a single word during the entire two-hour movie. An actor for 10 years, Shin has been praised by his contemporaries for his skill in playing contradictory characters: innocent but frightening, or both angelic and evil. By the same token, he has starred in both art-house movies like "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" and "Save the Green Planet" and big hits such as "Joint Security Area", "Welcome to Dongmakgol" and "The Big Scene," which attracted audiences of more than 16 million combined, showing his innocent smile while hiding his lunatic eyes.

200608210005_01.jpg

"There have been many killer movies, but this one caught my eye because it wasn't typical," he says about the new movie. "It's extravagant but not shallow... well, it's like a joke that makes people think about something serious." In interview, he is almost as laconic as his parts. Shin's character in the movie was born with a short tongue and stopped speaking when he grew up because he was bullied about it. After seeing a quack who tells him that an operation costing W100 million (US$1=W959) can completely cure his condition, he becomes a contract killer.

Shin takes viewers by surprise with his perfect absorption in any character he plays, but in reality he seems so ordinary that few who see him on the big screen would recognize him. "I usually jog along the Jungrangcheon stream near my place, but no one has recognized me so far," he says.

Shin is not only reticent but very shy and says he never spoke out in front of others when he was a child. The reason he enjoys his life as an actor, he says, is that he can communicate with others through movies. Enrolling at the Seoul Institute of the Arts in 1993, he says, "What I like about acting is that I can express what I understand not in words but by other means. When I think that I make others feel just what I felt, I'm happy."

A lighthearted request for any funny anecdotes from the set brings an unexpected chill to the atmosphere. "These questions always embarrass me," he says. "You may think of me as rather arrogant, but when I act, I only focus on my job, so how could such things happen?"

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0608210005.html

OMG, the cuteness is killing me!

thanks, Rubie, you are a goddess! I love this line: Shin has been praised by his contemporaries for his skill in playing contradictory characters: innocent but frightening, or both angelic and evil. He's definitely great at portraying multi-dimensional characters!

....thanks Rubie for the article!!

He's not handsome but i like his movies..and i like his eyes..his smiles..i cannot explain why.. :rolleyes:

And he's getting a lot hotter now...aishh.....

Ya, he has amazingly expressive eyes, which goes a long ways towards making him the great actor he is. I've noticed that directors really like to focus in on them, as in "Welcome to DongMakGol" and "The Big Scene". It's just like, WOW, whatever emotion his character's feeling, it's right there in his eyes!

Inez keeps taunting me with her sexy new avatar! :P

If I didn't love my Totoro so much …

Ya, he has amazingly expressive eyes, which goes a long ways towards making him the great actor he is. I've noticed that directors really like to focus in on them, as in "Welcome to DongMakGol" and "The Big Scene". It's just like, WOW, whatever emotion his character's feeling, it's right there in his eyes!

Inez keeps taunting me with her sexy new avatar! :P

If I didn't love my Totoro so much …

Hehe..yeah i'm in love with the that-man-who-has-a-gun-underneath-his-sexy T avie..too :P

er..is this him?..i think it says something about him not having a girl-fren or something..if it's not HaKyun i am going to be so embarassed!! :D

Somebody please help me with the news..!

shin01.jpg

[뉴스엔 고홍주 기자]

영화배우 신하균이 심심한 연애 스타일을 고백했다.

신하균은 21일 오전 11시 SBS POWER FM '심혜진의 씨네 타운'의 '게릴라 데이트' 코너에 출연해 연애와 관련된 질문이 나오자 스크린 속의 카리스마 넘치는 모습과는 달리 쑥스러움을 감추지 못했다.

신하균은 본인의 연애스타일을 묻는 질문에 "나는 내 모습을 볼 수 없으니까 모르겠는데 나와 교제했던 여성분들은 하나같이 재미없다고 말했다"고 털어놨다.

또 신하균은 진행자 심혜진이 "여자친구가 없다고 말씀하셨는데 그렇다면 예전 여자친구와는 주로 어떤 데이트를 즐겼냐"고 묻자 "뻔하지 않냐. 남들 데이트와 같이 주로 영화 관람 혹은 밥을 먹거나 차를 마시면서 이야기를 나누곤 했다"고 밝혔다.

신하균은 좋아하는 여성상과 관련해 "특별한 이상형이 없다"며 "말이 통하고 편하면 된다"고 답했다. 또 외적인 부분에 있어서는 "이왕이면 예쁘면 좋겠지만 특별히 따지는 편은 아니다"고 덧붙였다.

한편 신하균은 24일 킬러들의 이야기를 다룬 영화 '예의없는 것들' 개봉을 앞두고 있다. 극중 대사가 거의 없었다는 신하균은 "혀가 짧아 말을 아끼는 캐릭터로 나온다"고 캐릭터를 설명하면서 "킬러의 이야기를 다뤘다는 점에서 남성적인 영화라고 생각하는 경향이 있는데 꼭 그렇지만은 않다"고 강조했다.

고홍주 becool@newsen.com

that's definitely him, so don't be embarrassed! man, he makes some goofy faces sometimes! He's done so many serious roles lately, I'd forgotten how funny he can be!

I think this is him on the far left, probably the premiere of the new movie. Never seen him in glasses before, I like!

M0040007_nomanner_still16W500-.jpg

here's a nice one from the promotions for "Welcome to DongMakGol"

C9405-24.jpg

Hehehe..i must at least sneak in to take a look at ma cute man... :P

kmj175.jpg

he's waaay....to short for his tall..cool partner Kim Min Jun..but he's swoon worthy to me..hehe.. ;)

Heya mj!! :)

^You know... the more we look at SHK, the more adorable & cuter he becomes... whoopsss... :blush: :lol:

-------------------

Sharing from LBH thread, an article for everyone... love this report.... doesn't it ring a bell?!? :P

Director Park Chan-wook's "Lady Yeong-ae"

JULY 19, 2005 03:22

by Dong-Yong Min (mindy@donga.com)

http://english.donga.com/data/20050719/pho...05071938058.jpg

Lee Yeong-ae has changed.

The character Keum-ja that she plays in "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" (to be released on July 28 ) is a vicious woman who plans revenge for 13 years on the man who betrayed her. There was a time when Eun-soo gave Sang-woo (Yu Ji-tae) the cold shoulder in "One Fine Spring Day" (2001), but revenge was a word that didn’t belong in "fresh-faced" Lee Yeong-ae's vocabulary.

But the director of "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance," Park Chan-wook, tells us Lee has truly changed. Park gave us the inside scoop on Lee after several months of filming on-set. Park also spoke on the personalities of stars who appeared in his past films such as Choi Min-sik, Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Yu Ji-tae and Shin Ha-kyun.

Diligence is Lee Yeong-ae's Middle Name-

Park: "There were frequent get-togethers while filming "Joint Security Area" (2000), with cast members like Lee Byung-hun, Kim Tae-woo, and Shin Ha-kyun. Lee would sing and have fun every time then, but as the sole lead in the upcoming movie, the tension built up."

"She demanded retakes on the most mentally and physically challenging scenes without complaint. I told her it was fine, but it was always 'one more time' or nothing else. Lee professed that 'it was because the role was a hard one and I wasn't confident about it, and I wasn't completely sure that this (acting) was the path for me,' but I think it was because she felt she wasn't living up to her own standards. At first I thought, 'this is enough, why is she pushing it,' but there were times when her acting would actually improve."

"Lee is an extremely persistent person. She would bombard the director with questions until everything was perfectly clear; if it's Lee Byung-hun for men, it's Lee Yeong-ae for the female department. She's either a very complex person who's unfathomable, or a what-you-see-is-what-you-get simpleton. From what I've seen, she's the latter."

"Nod" versus "Nosy"

"There are two kinds of actors-nodding ones who say "yeah" to the director's instructions and then go off and do their own thing, and the nosy ones who badger the director with questions like, "How come? Why can't I do this?”

"Choi Min-sik, Song Kang-ho, and Shin Ha-kyun are the nodding actors I've worked with, and Shin Ha-kyun tops them all. He doesn't even reply to instructions."

"Choi Min-sik exudes an aura of professionalism. Not only in acting, but also in his private life and beliefs. His priority is the pride he takes in being an artist. When Song Kang-ho acts, he tries to dump expressions. He's more satisfied when the director says, "Let's take out this part because we don't need it," during filming. Shin Ha-kyun is the most silent and boring of them all, but there's a hidden flair in him."

"Lee Byung-hun, Yu Ji-tae, and Lee Yeong-ae are nosy, and as expected, Lee Byung-hun wins. Instead of an artist's self-consciousness, he just follows common sense. So he wants himself to be understood. When shooting 'Three Monster,' we asked him to write his name with his bottom, and he did exactly as he was told, saying, 'Wow, this is fun.' Yu Ji-tae puts in a tremendous amount of effort, and it pays off. In 'One Fine Spring Day,' 'Old Boy,' and 'Woman is the Future of Man,' he transformed himself for every role, completely different and more developed each time."

"The nodding ones are easy to work with because they fare well on their own. On the other hand, something is created during the process of asking and answering for the nosy ones, so it's fun because I feel like I've contributed as a director."

Source: Dong-A Ilbo

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?...d=2005071938058

he's the nodding type?? too funny! he's in good company, eh?

found a few more pictures to share!

Welcome to DongMakGol

wtdmg.jpg

some promotional shot for The Big Scene

big-scene.jpg

this one's just weird!

1146210411.jpg

and sooooo adorable!

20060102090025.jpg

loads more pics here: http://www.hakyun.com/

he's the nodding type?? too funny! he's in good company, eh?

some promotional shot for The Big Scene

big-scene.jpg

and sooooo adorable!

20060102090025.jpg

loads more pics here: http://www.hakyun.com/

Aaah..he's boring..nods and silent..how very interesting!!.. :P

those eyes again...aish.. :rolleyes:

I can't remember, Inez, did you see "The Big Scene"? I can watch that movie over and over again, though I feel it loses it's way a bit towards the end. Anyway, this is from a particularly intense scene. Doesn't really capture his expression exactly, as he goes from being really calm and gradually works his way up to freaky-manic within a few short minutes!

photo7799.jpg

God i love that movie mj!!.. (yeah after 'Save The Green Planet ' ) I mean i rooted for Cha Seung Won n HaKyun to get nominated for best actors in this movie!. It's so intense yes and intriguing so..'brutally epic' !. Those sad eyes got me again..

It's great to find someone else who admires this film as much as I do! I think it's hugely overlooked by most film fans. It's silly, but it did actually change my tastes in television shows: I rarely watch crime dramas anymore. Weird, I know!

:D

Well.. :P yeah..actually i think Korean crime movies are the best!. Alot to name but if it has HaKyun it's surely my favourite..I first watched The Big Scene and exchanged views with a fren (in KSW thread). We like the movie so much that i asked her to start his thread (since i'm not really good in running one :blush: .) so that we can talk alot of HaKyun. Glad there's one now :) ..But my fren has since 'quit' soompi.. :mellow: ..but hey! i am happy to have you to swoon over 'the weird looking' (hahaha! that's what one of the girls told me..) cutie.. :rolleyes:

ahahha! "weird looking"? just for that, I have to post another pic from "Killar"

photo21283.jpg

Actually, despite the fact I'd seen most of his movies, I didn't really become a big SHK fan until after watching Dongmakgol. Not only is his performance astounding, but he looks very handsome in it throughout! I just lucked out when "The Big Scene" came along and he played such a major role! I was hooked after that, rented "The Man Who Went to Mars", "Sympathy for Mr Vengeance" and "Save the Green Planet" (which I might just buy, I could probably watch it repeatedly!), re-watched "Guns & Talks" and Dongmakgol TWICE! I've yet to see "Brother", which for some reason I thought starred Sol KyunGu!!

Anyway, thanks for "maintaining" the thread, Inez! :D

Hahaha... when I saw this article and that smiling pic of SHK, I can't help chuckling out loud and instantly thinking of this thread. :lol: The review is like all reviews, nothing is ever perfect... but the comment on SHK at the end of it is what makes it worth everything.

Thanks mj07 for the warm message, appreciate it a lot. :) I'm just very happy to share something nice & worthwhile with everyone. And I'm especially enjoying the discussion/talks at the thread, too.

---------------------------

Film Noir

AUGUST 24, 2006 03:01

2006082487498.jpg

The title is apt: "Killar."

If you have ever been enraged by people who have lost "the four elements," you are likely to be interested in this title. At that moment, you would envision someone's face. But who knows. Someone may be thinking of you. It's a twisted world anyhow, so let’s just compromise a little. This is the message that the film 'Killar' originally intends to portray.

The lead character (Shin Ha-gyun) is an afflicted man with a lisp. With the childhood memory of a girl who used to protect him at the orphanage, he does not speak for fear of humiliation. Having heard that he can have tongue surgery with 100 million won, he becomes a 'Killar' in order to earn money for the operation. Not a killer, but a 'Killar' such as the 'F-Killer' (a popular insecticide pronounced as 'F Killar' in Korea). Because he filters out the trash of the society, it’s a rule he has set following the advice of his senior, 'Ballet' (Kim Min-joon). After work he goes to the bar for a drink, where he meets up with 'Her' (Yoon Ji-hye), a character that covers him with kisses. The silent Killar and Her, who is infatuated with Killar, begins a strange cohabitation. Events unravel one day when Killar and Ballet are told to do away with people trying to earn a windfall from redeveloping the local market, but kills a wrong person by mistake.

The audience will likely be disappointed if they expect the movie to be a film noir just by observing the title. The murders of the Killar almost only show the conclusion. The film is the story of the individuals. This is why it is not easy to convey the movie’s original intentions.

Killar only utters one word. His narration that reflects his inner thoughts tell all. It is interesting to follow the thoughts of one character. The Killar is a cold-blooded professional killer who becomes soft-hearted when seeing a child, a romanticist that dreams of becoming a bullfighter in Spain, and a character infused with a naïveté that writes poems at the level of an elementary school child with innocent gravity. But in the end he is only an outcast that cannot communicate with the outside world. The other characters are the same. They do not have names. They all have their respective pains and are excluded from mainstream society, but all dream of happiness.

The main comic feature of the movie is wordplay, such as 'Not ballet but beolle (beatle)' and 'Pygmalion? Pyrl maligetgun (it's frustrating)'. Audiences may either laugh outright or turn a cold shoulder to these quips. The director mentions his intention to "portray the tragedy of these sad outcasts with twisted humor."

Dominated by the humor of the absurd in the beginning, the movie suddenly switches to melodrama, making it difficult for audiences to focus on the story. The movie is an unsuccessful mix of genres ranging from comedy, film noir, to melodrama.

But Shin Ha-gyun demonstrates that it is possible to act without words, and to deliver a number of emotions while wearing shades at the same time. Also memorable is Yun Ji-hye's expression as she throws an alluring glance with the words "Just for digestion, how about a round of exercise? You know, the thing that adults do."

18 and over, opens August 24.

Source: The Dong-A Ilbo

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?...d=2006082487498

Thanks for the article, Rubie! Y'know how much we love that pic! Movie still sounds like the type I would like, even without the excellent cast! True, sometimes Korean films fall flat when they try to mix genres too much, but I'll take the risk!

Guest a4sano

I've seen all of his films so far. I'm probably going to watch the new ones when they come out. "The Big Scene" is my favorite movie I also thought it had the best ending. I've watched it three times and I still don't get why SHK was smiling at the end when they were talking about his sisters money. Anyone know?