Kim Yu-Na wins Olympic Gold - Highest Scores in History of Ladies Skating

Guest leon-

More from my historical archives --

I was at the 2007 Cup of China in Harbin where Yu-Na won Gold. She skated her "I'm Just a Girl" exhibition in the gala. One of the gifts thrown onto the ice was a giant teddy bear in a pink tu-tu.

The hotel was right next to the ice rink and I walked back to the hotel with Yu-Na, her mom, agent. trainer etc. She was carrying ths big bear -- she knew my granddaughter was six and asked if I wanted to take the bear back to America to Sarah.

Of course I said yes but I asked Yu-Na if I could get a picture of her with the bear to "prove" to Sarah where it came from! As you can see the answer was "Yes". Later when I watched videos of the gala I found clips showing the sweepers actually carrying the bear back to Yu-Na. Cool -- at least I thought so!

Sometimes the simplest things can turn out to be extra special!

353134014.jpg

353141641.jpg

353141760.jpg

353122746.jpg

353139265.jpg

382886949.jpg

382886950.jpg

382928357.jpg => For cute slide show see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q83TTFQXfmk

382888203.jpg=> The Gala is on YouTube here:

382932306.jpg

3522564300_67a9a5b570_b.jpg

382943033.jpg

382943032.jpg

382943411.jpg

382944262.jpg

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest xdaisiesx3

^ WOW such young future gold-medalists (hopefully Yuna as well) together! They look so awkward and cute, haha. And I did not know you were so famous among Korean Yuna fans-- "Leon harabeoji"! Your granddaughter is adorable btw. :)

More Ancient History - Sizzling Seoul

My First Trip to Korea was September 2007 for a Superstar Ice Show in Seoul.

Unfortunately, before the show, things really got HOT!

I know Koreans love their BBQ but this went a little far don't you think?

382991077.jpg382991334.jpg

After the show was cancelled, Yu-Na organized a free exhibition skate at LotteWorld for her fans.

I went early to help warm up the crowd. :P

382985317.jpg

382985316.jpg

382984193.jpg

382986159.jpg

Not for the Shy or Faint of Heart!

You have to really want to be at the center of attention!

382991434.jpg

382985318.jpg

382992119.jpg

(Picture above, look closely and you might see "famous fan - there is help for the visually impaired.)

382992338.jpg

Yu-Na sees my gray hair & pink Euro-American face in a sea of Koreans --

382997688.jpg

Link to Pink Panther's video of her exhibition skate to "Once Upon a Dream" is here:

382999803.jpg

Link to View ===>

Later that year in November after Cup of China, Yu-Na is using the LotteWorld rink for early morning practices.

383014502.jpg

383014151.jpg383014147.jpg

383014371.jpg383014148.jpg

73634-Yu-NainKoreaafterCoC.jpg

`

Calm, Security & Secrecy -

Priorities for Team Yu-Na

On her secret accommodation, IB Sports said, “We know that journalists will eventually find out where Kim is staying, but we hope they won’t release it.”

See also "Biggest Olympic Star You've Never Heard Of" Toronto Sun

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/vancouver...9/12954226.html

`

^

Omg, I thought it was tomorrow! T^T I wanted to go~

Maybe my bad. Sorry!

I kept using the 20th which was the date the Korean media reported.

Either the Korean media used the date in Korea for when Kim would land in Vancouver or

IB Sports did not want an unmanageable crowd at the airport so they were happy to confuse the date.

As it was some 300 people greeted her at the airport.

Guest xdaisiesx3

Aw she looks so cute and happy! I wish I could see her in person-- she is literally glowing! I really hope she wins us a gold medal this year-- hopefully she won't be too nervous and will perform as well as she has prepared. :)

leon, u seem like a big fan of hers. how come you are so "close" to her?

i hope she can withstand the pressure and take the gold medal :)

Certainly deserves an answer -- I am a longtime figure skating fan -- I was fascinated and loved the public persona of Michelle Kwan as she was so beautiful as a person and a performer.

When first I saw Yu-na in 2004, I knew she was special - not yet the gorgeous superstar but obviously a gifted and talented young girl. Her mother always remembers my early "fan" attention and has since been wonderful to me and generous with her time and attention.

I can no longer travel to events so now I am trying to share my passion and enthusiasm for this treasured daughter of Korea to the overseas English speaking Korean "diaspora" and maybe help Yu-na become as important internationally as she is in Korea.

I find so many celebrities to be hallow, of limited talent and of questionable values and life-styles. The most innocent appearing are so often just the cleverest hypocrites.

I know Yu-na now more than half a decade. She is exactly what you see -- extraordinarily hard working, talented, as generous with her time as she can be given the demands these days on her -- she is caring, appreciative of favors and tries to use her fame, resources, and celebrity status to help others.

Overcoming early money problems and chronic back pain has made her a stronger and a more courageous person. She and her mom know how hard it is to train with limited money so she now funds the Korean Junior skaters program.

Anything I can do to generate attention and appreciation for a high quality young person like Kim Yu-Na among people of all ages, nationalities, ethnicities and backgrounds is time well spent. I am in this forum because I see it as a natural place to share and promote Yu-Na among people already proud of her and their own great heritage. Korean culture and the Korean people have survived attempts to destroy it only to always emerge more vibrant, powerful and important than ever. Kim Yu-na is an example of channeling that power and strength for good. She helps prove that for all the ugliness and pain around us, some among us can touch us with magic and prove yes, there is greatness and beauty in our little world.

She is certainly a person all Koreans everywhere can take pride in and be confident that she will not disappoint -- she may not always win gold but for sure she will always bring honor to herself, her sport and her fans. She is truly a Queen who has earned her royal status and accolades.

Christine Brennan once wrote of Michelle Kwan: "....and in fact lived every moment of her life as if a child might be watching..." I think that can also be said of Kim Yu-na.

Hope that helps, sorry for my wordiness --

383079356.jpg

(I gave this Michelle Kwan biography to Yu-Na in December 2007 after the Torino GPF gala rehearsal.

The book is Michelle Kwan (Sports Heroes and Legends) by Anne E. Hill and is aimed at early Middle School age and older. I knew Yu-Na was studying English and I hoped giving her a relatively easy read about Michelle, who was already an important hero to her, would be both inspirational and good English reading fun. Her mother, Mrs. Park, who is also studying English told me she would read it too.

I think it is a nice book for all ages but especially positive and inspirational for young readers and, like I mentioned earlier, an easy read for ESL students.)

Archived