Kim Yu-Na wins Olympic Gold - Highest Scores in History of Ladies Skating

Guest leon-

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

she has become a cf favorite model...

her success and hard work in figure skating really has been s great...

and she earns a lot too...

keke

Guest csnrain

I love the Olympics, both winter and summer, but I'm particularly looking forward to Figure Skating. Seems like Mao Asada has gotten her act together so it should be a great competition between the two.

I love the Olympics, both winter and summer, but I'm particularly looking forward to Figure Skating. Seems like Mao Asada has gotten her act together so it should be a great competition between the two.

Mao's cup might be half full or half empty. I think Hersh sees it as half empty. Here he comments on her recent win at the Four Continents competition in Korea.

While Asada's total score was a personal season best, 183.96, that is lower than all but two of the 15 scores Korea's Kim Yuna has posted since becoming a senior level skater in the 2006-07 season. Kim's badly flawed free skate at Skate America last fall still left her with a higher overall score (187.98). . . :Philip Hersh

382377519.jpg

Link: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports...otting/2010/01/

The Japanese skater with the best chance to win gold, in my estimation, is Miki Ando. Miki is such a nice person and with such a great story, it is hard to root against her. Her dad died when she was only nine and skating has been her refuge from that loss. She is wonderful to her fans and to all skating fans. I am not a fan of her skating style but I respect her courage, work ethic and perseverance in front of that brutal Japanses media machine. I have talked to her many times over the years and she always remembers me and acts like she is so glad to see me!

I attended the 2007 Worlds in Tokyo and expected it to be a battle between Yu-na and Mao -- Miki the underdog won the gold medal -- interestingly, she did not win the Short Program or the Free Skate. Yu-na set a World record score with her Roxanne program and finished 1st after the SP. Miki was second and Mao 5th. Mao won the Free skate, Yu-na with a bad back and reduced endurance because of injury finished 4th in the Free Skate. Like in the SP, Miki came in 2nd in the Free Skate but had the most points overall to take Gold.

`

382385957.jpg

Link: http://english.chosun.com/site

[Miki Ando is the 2007 World Champion yet ] . . . she performs in the shadows of Kim Yu-na of South Korea and Mao Asada of Japan, who have both won world championships. While three world champions will be competing in Vancouver, the conventional wisdom is that Kim and Asada will battle for the gold and silver medals. Ando and her coach, Nikolai Morozov, believe she has a legitimate shot at rewriting that story line. - New York Times

Guys who think axels are part of a car will be scrambling for the rewind button after seeing her "Bond Girl" short program.

"As South Korea's best hope for a gold medal in anything besides speedskating, Kim is already a megastar in Asia. Her nickname is "Queen Yu-na," and she needs bodyguards whenever she's in South Korea. She does commercials for everything from bread to mobile phones to cars, and [Kim] was listed as the 10th-most-popular athlete — in Japan."

=====================================

******************* And here is that Bond Girl *******************

Yu-Na's lead choreographer, David Wilson, discusses the creation of Kim's "Mysterious Bond Girl" Short Program

380168131.jpg

Link to View ====> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TopbjPKJBL4

`

Guest misskorea

she can do It~

I can't wait to see Olympic games to see her & my other fav skaters~!!!

Imagine if she surpasses her 210 points at the Olympic!!!

OMG~!!

also she'll participate in 2010 Torino world championship!

like David Wilson said before, she doesn't have limit!

Yuna FIGHTING~!!!!!

Guest csnrain

Mao's cup might be half full or half empty. I think Hersh sees it as half empty. Here he comments on her recent win at the Four Continents competition in Korea.

Link: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports...otting/2010/01/

The Japanese skater with the best chance to win gold, in my estimation, is Miki Ando. Miki is such a nice person and with such a great story, it is hard to root against her. Her dad died when she was only nine and skating has been her refuge from that loss. She is wonderful to her fans and to all skating fans. I am not a fan of her skating style but I respect her courage, work ethic and perseverance in front of that brutal Japanses media machine. I have talked to her many times over the years and she always remembers me and acts like she is so glad to see me!

I attended the 2007 Worlds in Tokyo and expected it to be a battle between Yu-na and Mao -- Miki the underdog won the gold medal -- interestingly, she did not win the Short Program or the Free Skate. Yu-na set a World record score with her Roxanne program and finished 1st after the SP. Miki was second and Mao 5th. Mao won the Free skate, Yu-na with a bad back and reduced endurance because of injury finished 4th in the Free Skate. Like in the SP, Miki came in 2nd in the Free Skate but had the most points overall to take Gold.

Reading his articles, I think Hersh has a certain bias towards Yuna...but of course, it's hard not to :D . Anyway, scores aren't always a sure way to determine who is going to win because they are, to a degree, rather subjective and who knows what scoring debate/fiasco may occur at this years Olympics. There have been countless times where the favorites to win didn't and seeing Mao improve only makes the chances of Yuna winning that much slimmer. It's still my belief that Kim at her best is unrivaled, but Mao at her best is also a formidable opponent and if she finally pulls off two clean programs, Kim's going to have to do so as well. I've always counted on Kim's consistency but she hasn't skated at her best in the last two competitions so that makes me a bit wary. I'm still a bit unsure about Mao, she could go either way at the Olympics and we've already seen that Kim at her worst is better than most of the competitors anyway.

I would love to see Kim Yuna win gold, that would be amazing, but I don't like to get my hopes up. In fact, I like to hold the lowest expectations possible so that I'm not disappointed, heh.

As for Miki Ando, she has never been my favorite skater, but I can see her on the podium. As for the third spot in the top three, if Mao doesn't skate decently I think it's entirely up for grabs from the other competitors.

In any case, it would be my greatest wish to see everyone skate at their best...but that won't happen.

Thanks for all the articles, it's always interesting to see other people's takes on these things...

Guest Atmosphere.

I just hope she doesn't grow up like a cocky celebrity. And just do what she is best at!

Anyways, I saw the CF.. omg I LOVED HOW THEY DIRECTED THIS! I LOVED IT AHHH!!

Links to Great New Videos From The New York Times

Really Nice Video and Interviews with Yu-Na and her coach Brian Orser from the NY Times

382532444.jpg

Link to View===> http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/02/14/...-figure-skating

Wow! What an athlete! Another marvelous video from the NY Times showing the details of Yu-Na'sTriple lutz-triple toe loop combination -- Great graphics!

382532443.jpg

Link to View===> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/sports/...cs-interactives

`

Wow, what kind of crap blurb on Time Magazine was that? Did the so called reporter write that with her eyes closed? Not slipping on the ice is a "skill" that has served her well? Go back to journalism school, please.

Anyway, I wish Yuna nothing but the best. I'm sure her "almost robotic" consistency will serve her well. Since she's obviously a Jedi and is driven by The Force. =P

Archived