Kim Yu-Na wins Olympic Gold - Highest Scores in History of Ladies Skating

Guest leon-

Guest csnrain

Reading all these articles highlighting the amount of pressure on Yuna makes me nervous, I can't imagine how she's feeling right now but she generally seems to handle pressure well.

Anyway, best of luck to her =) All I can hope for is that she skates with no regrets.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Redwarrior

Good Luck to all of the skaters!!! Medal or not, they are all outstanding athletes! :D

I wonder what song Yuna switched her GALA performance to (I remember reading an article about her changing her showcase song for after competitions :D)

Tomorrow: 1 of 2 skates of her life (Go Yuna GO!!!)

I agree with another poster: The media keeps mentioning the amount of pressure Yuna has from her home country and people but seriously...is it really necessary to keep reporting about it 24/7 (exaggerating) and adding to that pressure that has been on her shoulders since she became a known figure skater?? (If anything, they are making it worse...but what can we expect from the media?)

“I strongly believe she will win the gold medal, but I’ve never asked her to get it,” he said. “Whenever I hear my friends or acquaintances say Yu-na must win the gold medal, I ask them not to say that. I’ve always said it’s up to God’s will.” - Kim Hyeon-seok, father of Kim Yu-na

383234271.jpg

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?...d=2010022303478

But it cannot be comforting to Kim, 19, that the gold medal favorites at the last three Olympics have not, in fact, actually won the gold. The women's Olympic figure skating competition, perhaps more than any other, has provided grand opportunity for underdogs as favorites have crumbled -- or, at least, stumbled -- under the heavy pressure.

"This," Kim's coach, Brian Orser, said, "is different than any other event on the planet."

383242535.jpg

383242534.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0022204729.html

383243835.jpg

Kim has been thinking about it ever since, wondering what this day would look like, wondering how she would react.

Now it's here, the Olympic women's short program, the day Kim is supposed to begin her quest for the gold medal that has been all but guaranteed for her for at least a year.

There arguably has never been a figure skater under more national scrutiny at an Olympic Games than the 19-year-old Kim. Korean TV crews have followed her everywhere for several years now. Even though she lives and trains in Toronto, far from the millions who adore her, Kim's face is all over Korean billboards, TV ads and newscasts. Her endorsements are estimated at $10 million a year, and that's before she wins — if she wins.

When Kim's entourage arrived here Saturday, her father said something rather ominous to the Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo: "The whole country thinks she is going to win, so the pressure is weighing down on her."

This is not exactly the pre-game comment you want to hear from the father of the gold-medalist-in-waiting.

Add to this the fact that Kim's coach, Brian Orser, would love for his skater to win a gold medal after he narrowly lost one to Brian Boitano 22 years ago just a few hundred miles away in Calgary in the "Battle of the Brians."

So, can there be any doubt that one incredibly nervous athlete will be standing on the ice when it's her turn to skate at 8 p.m. local time tonight?

This sport has seen this storyline play out before. In 1992, in Albertville, Japan's Midori Ito, 22, was hounded by her country's news media (though not as badly as Kim is being followed now), became a nervous wreck, fell in the short program and apologized to her country for having to settle for the silver medal behind American Kristi Yamaguchi.

Skating is a slippery sport, so it's never good to be the favorite. Over the past dozen years, the skater who was expected to win the women's Olympic gold medal has lost it every time: Michelle Kwan to Tara Lipinski in 1998; Kwan and Irina Slutskaya to Sarah Hughes in 2002; Slutskaya to Shizuka Arakawa in 2006.

If it happens again, if Kim doesn't win the gold medal that was all but conceded to her after a brilliant performance captured the 2009 world championship in Los Angeles, it will be an upset similar to what Evan Lysacek pulled off last week in the men's event against returning 2006 gold medalist Evgeni Plushenko of Russia.

Kim is so good she probably will be able to fall once and still win the gold. But a mistake in both the short and long programs — once unthinkable, but not so much anymore — would open the door for several competitors who would love to play the Lipinski or Hughes role here.

Japan's Miki Ando, the 2007 world champion, isn't a gorgeous artist by any means, but her jumps are usually money in the bank. Her countrywoman Mao Asada, she of the vaunted triple axel who has had a tumultuous two years after winning the 2008 world title, is a wild card. Once she was seen as a gold-medal hopeful, but she's too unpredictable now. Yet if she somehow lands all her jumps, she will rack up some serious points and put even more pressure on Kim.

Canadian Joannie Rochette, the 2009 world silver medalist behind Kim, tragically lost her 55-year-old mother to a heart attack here over the weekend, but still is expected to skate. A medal favorite at these Games, Rochette will receive the warmest ovation from an adoring Canadian audience, but how she will be able to cope with her sadness is anyone's guess.

Then there are the American high-school kids, national champion Rachael Flatt and runnerup Mirai Nagasu. If Flatt doesn't skate a clean short and long program, it will be one of the surprises of the Games for the U.S. Nagasu isn't as steady but is one of the most delightful skaters in the competition.

If either or both skate well, their slim medal hope would be to simply hang around and watch the bigger names take to the unforgiving ice, with all that pressure.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/b...ng_N.htm?csp=34

Guest superjihyeee!

^Wait will Yuna be skating at 4:30 PST? Or is that when it starts? I have to volunteer today but I really want to see her lol. Does anyone know the specific time she'll be on the ice?

^Wait will Yuna be skating at 4:30 PST? Or is that when it starts? I have to volunteer today but I really want to see her lol. Does anyone know the specific time she'll be on the ice?

anyone know around what time yuna will be skating in California time?

I will check for sure but 22 skaters go before Yu-Na

Her warm-up group should take the ice about 7:30 PST -- California is on PST so Vancouver Time is LA Time

New York is 3 hours later so her warm-up group starts at 10:30 pm New York Eastern Time.

Yeah, I'm reeeally confused with the time difference. I know I am 13 hours ahead of DC/NYC, but Vancouver..??? No idea. I have a crapload of errands to run today but I want to watch the womens programs.

-ginger

Guest __CHINA.DOLL

@ Ginger - your 13 hours ahead of Toronto, so.. its going to be on at 10:30 pm here .. shrugs* haha i think Toronto and NYC has the same time !

Guest colloquy

Yeah, I'm reeeally confused with the time difference. I know I am 13 hours ahead of DC/NYC, but Vancouver..??? No idea. I have a crapload of errands to run today but I want to watch the womens programs.

-ginger

Go to http://www.nbcolympics.com/, then scroll down to 'Results Spotlight'... there should be an option to change the times from 'Vancouver Time' to 'Your Time' down at the bottom of that scrolling box.

********* Real Time Online Results here: *********

Link ========> http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-figur...sw010201aj.html

Ladies SP Start Times for Each Warm-up Group

Vancouver Time -- Pacific Standard Time [PST]

(Add Three hours to get Eastern New York - Toronto - Philadelphia Time)

4 30 PST - Warm-Up Group 1

1 LAFUENTE Sonia ESP 49.74

2 REITMAYEROVA Ivana SVK 41.94

3 ZIEGLER Miriam AUT 43.84

4 JURKIEWICZ Anna POL 36.10

5 LEE Cheltzie AUS 52.16

5 10 PST - Warm-Up Group 2

6 LIU Yan CHN 51.74

7 KARADEMIR Tugba TUR 50.74

8 MAKAROVA Ksenia RUS 59.22

9 KWAK Min-Jung KOR 53.16

10 McCORKELL Jenna GBR 40.64