Kim Yu-Na wins Olympic Gold - Highest Scores in History of Ladies Skating

Guest leon-

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks leon for the awesome articles!!!

^

young yuna and mao look so precious up there!!!

Thanks

Another rivalry article - I think this is a good read even though from December 2009 - right before the GPF which Mao failed to qualify for. Yuna won the GPF but she had to come back from a 2nd place finish to Ando in the SP.

382574920.jpg

Link: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2009/12/02

Guest pinkxlilies

i am sooo looking forward to their free skate this olympics!! i'd be so happy if either one of them won!

but i never knew they were such good friends! does mao speak korean or yu-na speak japanese or something? how would they even communicate with each other?

I have really come to love Yuna, even though she is freaking unavoidable while shopping or channel flipping.

However...Yuna fans, PLEASEEEEE don't go making fools of yourselves. So many real figure skating fans can't stand her just because of the insane fans who ONLY tune in to watch her programs or to flood the skating message boards with spam like, "YUNA IS THE BEST---NO ONE CAN COMPETE WITH YUNA!" Be a fan that isn't embarrassing...it's just hurting Yuna's image when Yuna fans try to make skating calls and they have no concept about actual figure skating.

-ginger

EDIT: To above poster, I'm pretty sure I read in an interview that Yuna speaks a little Japanese, Mao speaks a little Korean, and they both have decent English, so they try to converse in all 3 languages.

I have really come to love Yuna, even though she is freaking unavoidable while shopping or channel flipping.

However...Yuna fans, PLEASEEEEE don't go making fools of yourselves. So many real figure skating fans can't stand her just because of the insane fans who ONLY tune in to watch her programs or to flood the skating message boards with spam like, "YUNA IS THE BEST---NO ONE CAN COMPETE WITH YUNA!" Be a fan that isn't embarrassing...it's just hurting Yuna's image when Yuna fans try to make skating calls and they have no concept about actual figure skating.

-ginger

EDIT: To above poster, I'm pretty sure I read in an interview that Yuna speaks a little Japanese, Mao speaks a little Korean, and they both have decent English, so they try to converse in all 3 languages.

whoa lol they making the skating arena like the Idol world >.<

sigh not yuna's fault tho >.< i just hope the fans understand that sport world different from entertainment world

yuna and mao still BFF right? or not that close anymore since the so called "attack" from mao during the rehearsal an couple or a year ago >.<

"In four seasons with Orser, Kim, 19, has become far more than the first Korean figure skater of any renown. She is a superstar of such proportions that Seoul street caricaturists trying to lure customers display her image to show their skill.

No figure skater ever has been more celebrated in her home country than Kim is.

. . .

On her flight to visit Seoul last month as a U.S. public diplomacy envoy, skating legend Michelle Kwan found out what Kim means to her country while talking to a Korean passenger.

'The man told me, 'Yuna is the nation's daughter,' Kwan said. 'We have our Michael Jordans and Michael Phelps and other superstars, but we don't consider them the country's sons or daughters.' " - By Philip Hersh, February 11, 2010

382606277.jpg382606276.jpg

Link: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-olympics-kim11-2010feb11

Found this cautionary blurb: 382608807.jpg

QUOTE "She will skate in her short programme as a Bond girl, interpreting the fabled John Barry score, leaving her choreographer, David Wilson, to explain that the dazzling routine marks her completion of a three-year journey from 'shy girl grown into a beautiful woman'. And by the time she finishes the pyrotechnics, posing there with hands imitating a pistol, he is adamant the sports world will be similarly shaken and stirred by the girl with the golden gun. And medal." 382654203.jpg382654477.jpg382654202.jpg

Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...r-Olympics-2010

3487512708_70db3b52d4_o.jpg

Rihanna at allkpop: “I am so honored that figure skater Kim Yuna used Please Don’t Stop the Music. I am lucky that such a world star would chose my song for one of her performances. I have even seen one of her performances–that’s how big of a fan I am!”

382676375.jpg

Follow link below to Allkpop:

382664457.jpg

Link to View Video ===> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--1pIN49G7M

"Please Don't Stop the Music"

382314819.jpg382314818.jpg382314816.jpg

`

". . . if ladies’ figure skating remains the crown jewel of the Winter Olympics, as Americans have always believed, Kim is expected to emerge as more than just a national hero at home in South Korea, but as queen of the Vancouver Games."

382680280.jpg382680279.jpg

Link: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch

Revisiting Kim's Free Skate at the 2009 World Championship last March in LA - Scott Hamilton calling:

382316211.jpg

Link to view ===> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xwx-Z3ijc

`

Guest songssiissii

To be completely honest, I don't know what else to look forward to during the Winter Olympics except her. =|

i totally agree. she's the only reason why i'm even watching the winter olympics

Guest SweetSerein

ive never seen her skate before but since people love her so much..i think imma go watch her on youtube. <3 im just glad that an asian girl is dominating in this sport. =)

i think yuna has the best chance. although i felt that last time when i saw her, she was kinda in a "slump" with her long program. i think the continuous mess-ups in her long program is causing some problems with her nerves rather than her skills. her short program is superb. as long as she isn't pressured i think she'll be ok. i think miki ando will get silver. iono about mao asada anymore..

“She knows the expectations that her country has, and how they’ve embraced her so much and how they love her and adore her and are counting on her to win in Vancouver,” Orser said. “I think she realizes that she has made a difference in that country. She’s changed the morale there during this global recession, so there’s a lot of pressure to keep that up.” . . .

“What I’m worried about the most is how nervous I am going to get,” she said through an interpreter, though she speaks English almost fluently. “I really have to keep my focus and stay calm.”

382723312.jpg382723625.jpg382723741.jpg

Archived