Anime/Manga/Manhwa recommendations thread

Admin

Guest cee.jay

does anyone know where i can download the anime for Harukanaru Toki no Naka de ~Hachiyou Shou~ and read the manga?

many thanks in advance yo!

p.s hakuouki is a really good reverse harem anime!

Guest Ice-Sama

Hey everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations that are similar to Death Note and Code Geass?

Also is there any anime similar to the anime 'kindaichi shounen no jikenbo'?

Thanks in advance.

Ahh I'm glad to see there are others who enjoy The Embalmer as much as I do! :D If you're a fan of Mitsukazu Mihara, then definitely check out Dokuhime (poison princess). It's about a country whose specialty is to train lovely girls whose bodies (body fluids, such as saliva, blood, etc.) are poisonous. They are sent to enemy countries as mistresses to assassinate the king. It's currently in-progress.

I'm looking for a series that's made up of short stories/one-shots like DOLL, XXXholic, The Embalmer, Tarot Cafe....

I like:

- Slice of life (but most of them tend to be too cutesy and sleepy like Yotsuba)

- Horror

- Heartwarming/wrenching/breaking stories

- A bit of boy-on-boy action is always a plus ;)

I dislike:

- Romantic comedy

- Fantasy

- Simple, cartoon-ish artwork

I have no idea if this is the type of anime/manga you're looking for since I haven't read those example series, but Detective Conan's a good one. It's one, consistent story but made up of mini cases (Most of them completely unrelated to another).

I don't think there's boy on boy action though. :P

Guest Justalilodreamer

Ahh I'm glad to see there are others who enjoy The Embalmer as much as I do! :D If you're a fan of Mitsukazu Mihara, then definitely check out Dokuhime (poison princess). It's about a country whose specialty is to train lovely girls whose bodies (body fluids, such as saliva, blood, etc.) are poisonous. They are sent to enemy countries as mistresses to assassinate the king. It's currently in-progress.

I'm looking for a series that's made up of short stories/one-shots like DOLL, XXXholic, The Embalmer, Tarot Cafe....

I like:

- Slice of life (but most of them tend to be too cutesy and sleepy like Yotsuba)

- Horror

- Heartwarming/wrenching/breaking stories

- A bit of boy-on-boy action is always a plus ;)

I dislike:

- Romantic comedy

- Fantasy

- Simple, cartoon-ish artwork

I Wish by Seo Hyun-joo (manhwa) sort of fits in both of your categories (like and dislike..i'd say more in the 'like' category though)

I didn't really like the art in the beginning, but as you keep reading you kind of ignore the art.

Guest CaramelSweetie

Have you/Did you continue reading Bride of the Water god? Recent developments have been very interesting! :w00t:

And yes i also read Cyboy! I think it's cute! And i like Nishikata Mai's works! Both for the plot and the artwork!

Ohyeah, I have..tried. haha Unfortunely, I didn't remember what was going on, so I'll have to reread it all. :P

I have read the The Embalmer recently because of the recommendations on this page, and it is indeed really good. ^^ Gives a dark-ish feeling, kind of like Tarot Cafe, which is another good manga. Didn't really expect to see some explicit stuff, but all's good.

For shoujo lovers, you guys should try this manhwa: Love @ First Sight. :D

Art is pretty nice and has an interesting story each chapter. You can read it off JanimeS's site.

A couple of really good manga's I've read are:

- Koko Ni Iru Yo (Love the Mangaka! Tooyama Ema!)

- Watashi Ni xx Shinasai

- Boku wa Kisu de Usu wo Tsuku (The Mangaka is pretty good! Toma Rei!)

- S.L.H. (Stray Love Hearts) (It's not finished yet)

- Barajou Kiss (Not finished yet)

- GD-GD Dogs (Is just starting, but I love the Mangaka!)

Guest CaramelSweetie

^

If you haven't already, try reading Kimi wa Pet. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but it is one that comes to mind when josei is mentioned to me. ^_^ It takes getting used to because when I first tried it, I stopped before even reaching the end of chapter 1. Thankfully, I picked this up again, and read the whole thing.

Guest bebepark

Could someone recommend me a good anime? Manga is okay too =P

I like watching romantic comedy  ^__^ Anything is okay as long as there is romance in it =P

ohhh~  && good art please :) I have trouble watching/reading when there is bad art :( Thanks ^___^!!!

I enjoyed watching Kaichou wa Maid-sama!  & Special A =]

Guest SushiToaster

random recommendation time~ or actually today's special is shounen hehehe..

my friend recommended psyren to me and oh my goodness.. it's so good!! ahaha i thought it was a little slow at first, but then it picks up and gets AMAZING♥ the action's really good, there's romance (gaspp.. romance in shounen??), and the artwork's pretty decent. haha i was about to slow down around ch 30-40 but then WHOA lots of stuff started happening and i somehow read the other 100 chapters in a day >_____>' definitely a manga worth checking out, and not just for shounen lovers~

i also tried reading veritas randomly since it was on mangafox's top list.. it's pretty good but it just doesn't feel very climatic.. i mean, there's TONS of action and a decent storyline, but reading it felt really slow to me.. i'd only recommend this to someone who really enjoys shounen :l

^ if you liked the shounen side of psyren you should try out gantz it's definitely more disturbing, more "realistic" (imo) than psyren is. i was obsessed with psyren for awhile but i got over it. it's kind of draggy these days (at least the manga. i'm not sure if there's an anime or not). it's like a mix of gantz & bleach for me.

could someone recommend me a sad, tear-jerking anime/movie (preferably an anime)? no more than like 30 episodes... i don't care what other genre it's correlated with.l

I've already watched:

grave of the fireflies

any of the miyazaki films

any of KEY/visual art's work (clannad, kanon, air..)

elfen lied

kenshin OVA

ef - fairy tale of the two (a tale of memories & a tale of melodies)

preferably something sadder than the ones listed considering i didn't cry in any of them.

oh. btw. anyone who's interested in disturbing, psychologically scarring types of animes (along with its share of gore)but with an excellent storyline, I would strongly recommend:

higurashi

elfen lied

i think higurashi is higher up in the disturbing factor though than elfen was. i finished both series this week. pretty good stuff. oh. but higurashi's art lacks in quality. it bothered me a lot when i started it -- but don't let it get to you. you'll regret it.

Guest chopper!

could someone recommend me a sad, tear-jerking anime/movie (preferably an anime)? no more than like 30 episodes... i don't care what other genre it's correlated with.l

I've already watched:

grave of the fireflies

any of the miyazaki films

any of KEY/visual art's work (clannad, kanon, air..)

elfen lied

kenshin OVA

ef - fairy tale of the two (a tale of memories & a tale of melodies)

preferably something sadder than the ones listed considering i didn't cry in any of them.

eh?! you didn't cry in grave of the fireflies?! O_O lol

hmm...have you watched saikano? its only 13 ep and it's got tons of recommendations for people who wants to watch sad anime.

The girl who leapt through time (movie)

The Story of Oshin (movie)

only ones i can think of right now XD

Guest deceitful.reverie

Could someone recommend me a manga romance, thanks!

Tell us what you've read first 'cause there's A LOT of good ones out there, and there are also more categories under 'romance'. :)

eh?! you didn't cry in grave of the fireflies?! O_O lol

hmm...have you watched saikano? its only 13 ep and it's got tons of recommendations for people who wants to watch sad anime.

The girl who leapt through time (movie)

The Story of Oshin (movie)

only ones i can think of right now XD

I recommend Saikano too. It's a sad manga/anime, but it didn't make me cry at all. It's really easy to make me cry, but Saikano was sad in a different way. It was heavy, and I felt like it sucked out all my energy that I didn't have any left for crying. LOL

Btw, if you want more smut, read the manga. ;)

Guest U-knows.xHunnie

Tell us what you've read first 'cause there's A LOT of good ones out there, and there are also more categories under 'romance'. :)

Ive never read a manga before, but id like to read something close to a romantic comedy or something romantic&sad.

Also a manga that doesnt take place in highschool with a bit more mature characters.