Anime/Manga/Manhwa recommendations thread

Admin

@ Hsuke MPD psycho is -- but it's been recently licensed so I don't know if you can find it anymore. psychometrer eiji on the other hand is sooo slow on its updates.. it sucks that the storyline is too good for me to abandon. lol.

I picked up a rec from here earlier (Monster by Naoki Urasawa) and I really liked it, especially the art style.

Can anyone recommend me some anime/manga (pref manga) that have themes such as horror/thriller, twisted/convoluted plots, and/or deeper meaning/morals?

Aside from Monster I also enjoyed Petshop of Horrors... yeah I haven't read too many mangas. XD;

I'm also looking for anime/mangas that have more realistic art styles while still maintaining an interesting/decent story... For example, Paranoia Agent - I adooore the art!

Thanks ahead of time. ^^

if you like Monster, you'll probably like 20th century boys and pluto those are created by the same author. i swear he's a master storyteller of suspense (and a wonderful artist! like you pointed out. but i'll save that rant for another day.. lol). all his works are amazing and are worth checking out. i've been raving and raving about his works all over this thread. but seriously, he deserves it all and more. i think on MAL (myanimelist.com which has recommendation/reviews for both mangas and animes) all three are like the top 10. he's currently writing another one called billy bat i haven't read it -- so i can't recommend it, but just based on his other works, i'm betting it will be good (i'm just waiting for it to be finished b/c i will honestly go insane if i do not finish naoki urasawa's work in one sitting).

if you liked the beginnings of Monster (like where they deal with doctors in the hospital) and want one that is more fixed on the moral problems that's related with medicine, hospital etc. try team medical dragon . it's not finished and the updates are kinda irregular, but i think it's what you're looking for. you might also want to try saijou no meii i think is less realistic than MTD, and definitely lighter. but it delivers a similar message so you might like it.

Guest airuko

Woo thanks for all the recs Misao and d00lie, will be checking them out this weekend! :D And yes, Urasawa's storytelling is amazingly awesome! (I actually didn't like the ending of Monster all that much though, but the ride sure was fun!)

Guest eunnah008

cutiek028 -thanks for the list of suggestions! i've already seen some of those but i think i'll check out A Little Snow Fairy Called Sugar, rave master and please save my earth :)

cool~.. 2 of my favorites!.. keke~

Guest dadadaa

I just began reading manga so im really limited in the ones im willing to read, but if you guys could help and recommend some that meets my critera that would be great :)

-shojuo (??--not sure whar its called but the romance ones)

-cute (light-hearted and bubble gum)

-straight

-NUMBER ONE PRIORITY: the drawings must be PRETTY and the people relatively normal looking! (ex. Dengeki Daisy for manga, Pink Lady for manhwa)

domo arigato! <3

hey just popping in

to reccomend some mangas :)

Judge- same author/concept of doubt. 2 chapters out currently, reallyyy good so far!

&

Emerging-horror manga about an illness spreading in japan.

soo good! started it today and read 14 chapters straight! :lol:

Guest jenniful92

Any shoujo-romance (comedy or tragic is good!) mangas and/or animes with charismatic male leads to recommend? :D

I enjoyed snow flower (manhwa), he's dedicated to roses, love monster

Guest yukinohana

Hi all!

I been reading a lot of different mangas. and... im running out!

Can anyone suggest manhwas similar to girl in heels or dear my girls?

or any manga`s similar to these sort of stories (shoujo/romance)? Thanks so much!

btw any famous or well known ones ive probably already read ( with the exception of korean manhwas... ive only read goong, dear my girls and the like). so anything off the beaten path is great!

Guest SushiToaster

recommendations!!! :D

ahhh so today i had to stay home since i was kinda sick. what did i do today? read manga of course!! hahaha i started+finished doubt after seeing some people on this thread recommend it and i also read the first 2 chapters of judge by the same author :) normally, i HATE scary movies with a passion, but doubt was more of a thriller to me, it wasn't THAT scary, it was just really exciting haha. i would recommend both of those :)

so i'll take sara-tart's recommendation and start on emerging~

does anyone have any other thriller-type mangas to recommend? :)

Guest silverkey_

Hi can anyone recommend me a manga that revolves a story of love within a group of friends if there is something like that OR just any manga with romance and friendship.

Already read:

-dengeki daisy

-moe kare

-watashi ni xx shinasai (thanks to ~Tropical.Mists)

-maid-sama

-skip beat

-la corda

-vampire knight

-fushigi yuugi (both)

-fruits basket

-ccs

-magic knight rayearth

-special a

-ouran high school host club

--------

Also if by chance anyone know what chapter in manga does the anime gakuen alice stop, I would truly appreciate it if you tell me since I wanted to continue the event in the anime through the manga.thanks!

Guest Stolen_waters

--------

Also if by chance anyone know what chapter in manga does the anime gakuen alice stop, I would truly appreciate it if you tell me since I wanted to continue the event in the anime through the manga.thanks!

I think you should start reading from chapter 23. :) Try reading chapter 22 to see if it's similar to the last episode of the anime.

I'm jealous (but very excited for you) 'cause you're just going to start reading and don't have to wait for updates.

Hi can anyone recommend me a manga that revolves a story of love within a group of friends if there is something like that OR just any manga with romance and friendship.

Already read:

-dengeki daisy

-moe kare

-maid-sama

-skip beat

-la corda

-vampire knight

-fushigi yuugi (both)

-fruits basket

-ccs

-magic knight rayearth

-special a

--------

Definetly try out:

High school debut- one of my all time faves!

B.O.D.Y-really good!

Papillon hana to chou-also a really good one.

:)

Already read:

-dengeki daisy

-moe kare

-maid-sama

-skip beat

-la corda

-vampire knight

-fushigi yuugi (both)

-fruits basket

-ccs

-magic knight rayearth

-special a

Hehe* I'm glad you liked it? I recommended it to one person and it seems like a PILE of them jumped on it =) It's a great story though... very shoujo but also very different and it keeps your interested which I love ^^ Artwork is superb too!

Here's my addition to the list:

Bokura ga ita: Unfinished, less comedy... more romance and drama. It has a solid cast (of about 4-5 main characters) and it's about the relationship of the two main characters and the ups and downs of how they stay together/grow apart

Peach Girl: The artwork bothers me in this one... but the story itself is such a roller coaster haha! I would describe it as... Gossip Girl/O.C. in anime/manga haha! It has all the schemes and traps, the romance and the friendships/character development you look for.

Black Bird: Also unfinished, but it's a romance between a "bird-demon" and a normal girl who sees spirits. There's lots of cute/romantic moments along with some smut scenes ;) the story is just rolling and the artwork is really eye pleasing hehe* lots of bishoujos =)

Hmmm.. that's all that come to mind, I would have to check my list later if you want more haha =P I highly recommend Dengeki Daisy to all those who HAVEN'T read it though =O It's a romance/mystery/drama/comedy all in one and it's so much fun to read ^^ makes me smile, cry and giggle all in one chapter sigh* Really wish they'd update =(

Can anyone recommend me....

A really good romance anime/manga? I've watched/read way too many to list them all, but I'm looking for something that has a clean cut ending... I'd prefer if it had an unpredictable ending >=) to keep me guessing. It can have comedy/action/adventure/mystery... just not horror lol =S I'd prefer anime but if the manga is REALLY good I don't mind. Something complete please, I don't like waiting for updates or new eps =X

A few examples of good anime/manga I've seen/read....

- Fruits Basket (manga)

- CCS (both)

- Eden of the East (anime - technically NOT complete but it was so good ^^)

- NANA (both - not complete either GAH!?)

- Ouran HSHS (both - uh... I'll list something COMPLETE >_<)

- ef ~ a tale of memories/melodies ~ (anime)

- Peach Girl (both)

- Fantastic Children (anime - best EPIC story ever)

- Fullmetal Alchemist (both - not much romance, but WOW to story O_O)

THANKS! everyone =)

--xoxo.

TM

Guest _YooMi

Can someone recommend me on a general light-hearted, light romance kind of thing?

Although I do ask that it be nothing too sci-fi, more fantasy :]

Watched/Read:

Black Butler

CCS

Ouran

Sugar the snow fairy

KKJ

DN Angel

Getbackers

Ranma 1/2

Detective Conan

Alice Gakuen

Prince of Tennis

etc

Guest CaramelSweetie

THanks for recommending these for me, but none of them appeal to me. :/ I guess I'm too much of a picky reader? xD

I don't like reading seinen/shounen, and the art srsly determines whether I read a manga/manhwa/manhua or not. :lol:

I will keep looking.

Here are some that I recommend.

NOCTURNE (PARK EUN-AH) by Park Eun Ah

I really like the artwork. There has been too many manhwas from Hwang Mi Ri on MF. :/ I tend to lean towards art like Goong, and Bride of the Water God.

Slightly confusing since it switches between past to present time. Only 2 chapters have been translated, but looks interesting.

Summary

Yuri is a doll-like child, orphaned at a young age when her father dies in a car accident. In his will, he requests that Yuri be placed under the guardianship of a close friend of his, Kim Dowook. Taken in, Yuri begins a new life, different from her life before. Where will this take her, and what does she think of her guardian..?

from mangafox

SUKITTE II NA YO by Hazuki Kanae

I love this one. The art is different. The main guy is hot, and I don't usually say that about a manga character. xD Main girl has a very mellow personality. You can say the couple are compete opposites of each other.

Warning, there are some explicit scenes, but that only last for a few pages.

Summary

Mei Tachibana has spent her 16 years without making either a boyfriend or friends. One day, she injures the most popular boy in school, Yamato Kurosawa, because of a misunderstanding but for some reason it seems that he takes a liking to her and one-sidedly claims that they’re friends. Furthermore, he not only protects Mei from a stalker, he does it with a kiss…?!!

from mangafox

Cyboy by Nishikata Mai

Art is more typical. haha this one is hilarious. It's shoujo, but it's in a guy's pov. :lol:

Summary

When he was younger, Kujou Kiyosumi was incredibly awkward and nerdy. One day in elementary school, he courageously confessed his love to a girl, but she told him in front of the whole classroom that he was "disgusting" to be around. Shocked, Kiyosumi asked the coolest guy in the class, Sagiya Maki, to help him become more likable, too. Thus, began the days of training and now in high school, he had finally achieved most popular status alongside Maki. Everything seemed to be going along smoothly until...

from mangafox

There's a lot more I want to recommend, but I'll just leave with these for nows. :) Oh, and yes, these are all romance, shoujo. :D

TO THOSE WHO LIKE full metal alchemist and death note (or animes along that line) :

I would recommend code geass (the anime).

summary: Lelouch Lamperouge appears to be a typical high school student at Ashford Academy in the Britannian controlled Area 11 (formerly named Japan.) He harbors a hatred for the emperor of Britannia and the entire imperial establishment, vowing to one day destroy them for the death of his mother and cripple of his sister. After an encounter with a mysterious young woman named C.C., Lelouch gains the power of Geass, which grants him the ability to force anyone to do what he wishes. With this ability, Lelouch becomes a mysterious figure named Zero and begins his battle against the Britannian Empire.

credits to: myanimelist.net

these are my reasons why:

1. it's complete. i really hate incomplete stuff b/c the wait is just pure torture. and animes with infinite number of episodes are real turn offs (COUGH naruto,bleach COUGH) it's separated into two seasons both with 25 episodes (or something like that) But you can't really stop after the first season b/c it ends in a crazy cliffhanger.

2. the ending is epic. It's probably one of the best endings I've ever seen in a long time. I love twisted, unexpected endings and this one delivered.

3. Lelouch. even if you don't like mecha anime, you should watch it for the main character. he's the best character i've ever seen in any anime or manga. period. if you read death note , intellectually, lelouch could be considered to be another "Light yagami" or a prodigy. but unlike "Light" or even "L," I could easily sympathize with lelouch's character. his character is filled with so much contradictions. he's logical, but the emotion/"human" side of him causes him to hesitate numerous times in the anime from acting out what his mind is telling him to do. I could feel it when he's agonizing over his actions, his tears, his smile etc. etc.. he's the closest character that seemed so realistic. he's simply brilliant.

4. pacing. you can't stop once you start. every episode is epic and ties very well into each other.

5. morality (?) i'm not sure how to phrase it. but the anime makes you think about revenge, hatred, the reason for human's existence etc. while it has it's actions, adventures, comedy, romance etc etc, it always ties back into a deeper meaning so that even after you finish watching the anime, you can't help but think about it and the questions that the anime poses.

6. NO FILLERS!! HIP HIP HURRAY. need i say more?

7. if you need more reasons: http://myanimelist.net/anime/1575/Code_Gea...Lelouch/reviews.

Guest WonderBinnie

Can someone recommend to me an anime that has vampires in it? If not, than really good supernatural ones? Thank you.

Guest Stolen_waters

Can someone recommend to me an anime that has vampires in it? If not, than really good supernatural ones? Thank you.

Blood Alone (manga) -my favorite. ^^ Slow-paced, but really good.

Blood + (anime) - <3

Bloody Kiss (manga)

Midnight Secretary (manga)

Mitsu Aji Blood (manga)

Dance in the Vampire Bund (manga/anime)

Someone recommended this on Manga Fox. I haven't read it yet, but it has good reviews:

Vampire Juuji Kai (manga)

V

Trinity Blood looks good! Will definitely add it to my "to read next" list. :)

I like Ghost Hunt too! Both the manga and the anime are good, but I enjoyed the anime more 'cause the characters look better, and it's scarier with music and other stuff.

Guest NO NAME?

If you're into gore, check out Hellsing and Trinity Blood.

iqy25e.jpg

Trinity Blood

The background is in the distant future after the destruction brought about by Armageddon. The war between the vampires and the humans continue to persist. In order to protect the humans from the vampires, Vatican has to rely on other allies to counter the situation. The protagonist, a priest called Peter Abel Nightroad, travels through the countries as a representative for the Vaticans. However, he is also part of "Ax", a special operations group controlled by the Cardinal Catherina. His encounter with a young girl called Esther will determine the struggle and survival between the human race and the vampires. — ANN

dr9xr5.jpg

Hellsing

Hellsing follows the antiheroic vampire, Alucard, and a police girl-turned-vampire, Seras Victoria, two vampires employed by the vampire-extermination group of England, the Hellsing Organization. Slowly but surely, through their active duty, they find a new breed of vampires beginning to arise. — ANN

If not, check out Vampire Knight (there are two seasons.)

mmecdv.jpg

Vampire Knight

Season 1

Yuki's earliest memory is of a stormy night in winter, wherein she was attacked by a vampire... And then rescued by another. Now 10 years later, Yuki Cross, the adopted daughter of the headmaster of Cross Academy, has grown up and become a guardian of the vampire race, protecting her savior, Kaname, from discovery as he leads a group of vampires at the elite boarding school. But also at her side is Zero Kiryu, a childhood friend who’s hatred for the creatures that destroyed everything he held dear, is now determined never to trust them. This coexisting arrangement seems all well and good, but have the vampires truly renounced their murderous ways, or is there a darker truth behind their actions. Is Kaname's infatuation with Yuki the beginning of a forbidden romance, or is it something in her forgotten past that draws him to her. Because in this world of secrets, nothing is as it seems. And the price of misplaced trust may even be worse than death. — ANN

mkzp4z.jpg

Vampire Knight Guilty

Season 2

Yuuki starts to remember parts of her forgotten past. and wants to find out about her real family. As she begins to unravel the secrets that where hidden from her to protect her, she must choose between Kuran Kaname, the one she owes her life to, or Kiryuu Zero, whom she has always wanted to protect Yuuki wants to know more about her true family and her forgotten past and starts a research. The secret will be revealed. Yuki, Kaname and Zero will show the begining of a new mystery and a forbidden love. — ANN

Under supernatural,

rc5205.jpg

Ghost Hunt

Seventeen-year-old Kazuya Shibuya is the president of the Shibuya Psychic Research Center, a think tank that studies psychic phenomenon. The firm investigates various strange occurrences at the behest of its clients, while Shibuya's assistant, Mai Taniyama, deals with her love/hate relationship towards her boss. — ANN

jt47dj.jpg

Durarara!!

Ryuugamine Mikado is a boy who longs for the exciting life of the big city. At the invitation of his childhood friend Masaomi, he transfers to a school in Ikebukuro. Masaomi has warned him about people he doesn't want to cross in the city: a champion fighter, an informant, and a mysterious gang called "Dollars." Nervous from Masaomi's stories, Mikado witnesses an urban legend on his first day in the city, the Headless Rider astride a black motorcycle. From then on, the existence of supernatural cases and a gang called the Yellow Turbans will rise to the surface, and Ikebukuro will pushed to the breaking point. — ANN