[Hong Kong TVB Drama 2009] 宮心計/ Gong Sum Gai / Beyond The Realm Of Conscience (hk Versio

XxVietGurlxX

i was just about to say that too..as a fan for almost 10 years, i have seen charm in bad roles before. besides the ones already mentioned, even tho she wasn't necessary a "bad" character per say, she really wasn't the goody two shoe in crimson sabre. i didn't remember much of war and beauty cuz i didn't watch much of that. i thought everyone was bad in there. but both war and beauty and beyond the realm of conscience, the costumes are reallly nice. storyline wise, it's all about power like most ancient series. i didn't even like jewel in the palace.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just finished episode 12 and gahh its getting so exciting now.Cant wait till Thursday to get eps 13 and 14<3

no wonder the ratings are hitting the roof in Hong Kong for this drama.First episode's ratings already hit 34(with a peak point of 36). i read from my local newspaper...and heard that ep 6 hit 41 at its peak. talk about breaking records at such an early stage...:lol:

Guest twenty6twelve

i was just about to say that too..as a fan for almost 10 years, i have seen charm in bad roles before. besides the ones already mentioned, even tho she wasn't necessary a "bad" character per say, she really wasn't the goody two shoe in crimson sabre. i didn't remember much of war and beauty cuz i didn't watch much of that. i thought everyone was bad in there. but both war and beauty and beyond the realm of conscience, the costumes are reallly nice. storyline wise, it's all about power like most ancient series. i didn't even like jewel in the palace.

Woooah for 10 years already :o ? that's a lot. When did you start?:)

But i liked her character best in W&B, especially when she was playing dirty on the others haha anyway, they should def give her more of those challenging roles than her past ones, or else it's getting boring <_<

(sry. Off topic :P)

Can't wait till i finally can watch the drama in viet. So exited!!

The whole trailer doesn't match the drama right now. Where Tavia and Charmaine suffered a lot because of the 4 older ladies and stuff (jail scene, stabbed on the hand with the hair accessory, etc etc). I don't know. The trailer is what got me excited in watching it. And since none of the things that the trailer showed will happen as I am watching it, I'm losing all excitement watching this drama. :mellow:

Agree with you. Somehow I think the storyline from the trailers is way more exciting than the actual one. Maybe it's also because Tavia isn't turning evil quick enough... :mellow:

Guest alicechen

Anyways, I just finished eps. 7 and Tavia is becomming evil... I am happy she's playing an evil role, unlike Charmaine who always plays the good girl role...

Well, you can't really blame her, it's the company's choice. Somehow they LOVE to put her in good girl roles. I love the evil Charmaine in War of Beauty. Everyone was great there. ;)

If you want to see a baddie role, wait for her role in the upcoming Heaven and Earth about cannibalism. I read about her character...she's such a baddie.. :lol:

i was just about to say that too..as a fan for almost 10 years...

Me too, a fan for almost ten years. B) Going on strong.

But i liked her character best in W&B, especially when she was playing dirty on the others haha anyway, they should def give her more of those challenging roles than her past ones, or else it's getting boring <_<

Yep, her character in WAB was so pitiful. Everyone basically died!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really liking Sam Ho and Kam Ling's chemistry. The close bond they share = ;)

Not to mention, I've become a Sam Ho and Li Yi's shipper!! They're sooooooooo cute together. I saw episode 8 and was so mad when Hin Yeung (Kevin) came and just took Sam Ho from Li Yi. <_< The piggyback ride was soo adorable.

I'm really liking Sam Ho and Kam Ling's chemistry. The close bond they share = ;)

Not to mention, I've become a Sam Ho and Li Yi's shipper!! They're sooooooooo cute together. I saw episode 8 and was so mad when Hin Yeung (Kevin) came and just took Sam Ho from Li Yi. <_< The piggyback ride was soo adorable.

Sorry for cutting your post!

I agree with you... Charmaine and Tavia have great chemistry together. In Yummy yummy they had great sister chemistry too.

I'm getting weary of Kevin; he's almost... perfect? I don't know, but his relationship with Charmaine is lacking, and it barely develops. Whereas Moses and Charmaine, I would like to see more! The piggyback scene I LOLed when Kevin 'stole' Charmaine away before she even had time to sit down.

I just finished watching episode 12, and things are just starting to get evil!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XxmEf3-gzA

Charmaine's theme song for the drama. I really enjoy it. It's quite soothing and relaxing. She's not a singer by any means, but nice nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVcE2ezLB9k

Tavia and Susanna's NG for episode 5 when Susanna had to slap Tavia on the lips.

It must've hurt!

Credits: tvb@youtube

lol hehe since HSDS and that was in the year 2000 so almost 10 years. time flys by so quickly! back in her early days i had to watch all her series (she had some pretty good ones). it's just recent that i fell back cuz the storylines were getting old.

Guest msmilkt

^

^

Charmaine`s head piece looks so huge and heavy in that clip O_O and the song does reminds me heaps of Jewel in the Palace =D

i`m up to ep 10 at the moment, slowing down the pace due to exams. So far so good, hope this drama delivers and does not disappoint seeing all the money and effort put into this. Though i rkn it would`ve been a bit more interesting if Charmaine and Tavia switched characters since we`re so used to seeing Charmaine as the goody goody two shoes and her pairing with Kevin imo .. dude, we JUST saw them together in Flaming Heart this year =/ and it`s been a LONG time since she`s played the antagonist role in a film, the last one i remember is HSDS 10 years ago (WB does really count imo since like, everyone was pretty much evil haha)

Moses is so GREAT!!!! i laughed so hard in ep 6 when he took Tsui mama`s purse and 'tripped' running towards Bo gongong =DDDDDDDDDDDDD

Guest twenty6twelve

lol hehe since HSDS and that was in the year 2000 so almost 10 years. time flys by so quickly! back in her early days i had to watch all her series (she had some pretty good ones). it's just recent that i fell back cuz the storylines were getting old.

lol talkin about you guys being a fan for so long when I was thinking again later that i've actually been a fan of her for almost 10 years now, too:P and since HSDS, eventhough everyone was hyped over gigi's role&acting - but I was attracted by charm and her acting haha dunno why tho.

Question

Someone was saying in another forum that charm's acting wasn't great in BTROC, because she was more focused in her image rather than her acting. Is that true? what do u guys think of her acting in this drama?

Guest alicechen

Sorry to cut ya'll posts! :)

Sorry for cutting your post!

Whereas Moses and Charmaine, I would like to see more! The piggyback scene I LOLed when Kevin 'stole' Charmaine away before she even had time to sit down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVcE2ezLB9k

Tavia and Susanna's NG for episode 5 when Susanna had to slap Tavia on the lips.

It must've hurt!

Charmaine's subtheme is like a lullaby. Sweet. I saw the NG slapping scene between Susanna and Tavia. Poor Tavia, although Susanna doesn't hit hard, Tavia must've felt the pressure when they have to do it repeatedly.

lol talkin about you guys being a fan for so long when I was thinking again later that i've actually been a fan of her for almost 10 years now, too:P and since HSDS, eventhough everyone was hyped over gigi's role&acting - but I was attracted by charm and her acting haha dunno why tho.

Question

Someone was saying in another forum that charm's acting wasn't great in BTROC, because she was more focused in her image rather than her acting. Is that true? what do u guys think of her acting in this drama?

zephyr and twenty6twelve, this must be a big coincidence. I started to become her fan after I saw her in HSDS too!! while everyone is praising over GiGi's character, I felt so bad for Charm's character b/c she is controlled by her annoying Mentor...gosh, I hate that lady in EVERY version of HSDS.

To answer your question about her acting, I think it's not her fault at all. The problem lies in the script itself. The script basically limits what she can and cannot do. I can't believe the writers created such a flawless character!! Perfect, lucky, and pretty in every way. Therefore, it's hard for us viewers to connect with Sam Ho. While Kam Ling goes through more obstacles, so people tend to feel more for her.

Regarding image, haha XD Have you seen You're Hired? :P Isn't her image there very out-going and fierce? Very different from Sam Ho in Beyond. I don't think Charm cares about being in a "bad/evil" role. She will DO IT! Just look at her character in Heaven and Earth. Can't wait to see her kicking butts.

^

^

Charmaine`s head piece looks so huge and heavy in that clip O_O and the song does reminds me heaps of Jewel in the Palace =D

i`m up to ep 10 at the moment, slowing down the pace due to exams. So far so good, hope this drama delivers and does not disappoint seeing all the money and effort put into this. Though i rkn it would`ve been a bit more interesting if Charmaine and Tavia switched characters since we`re so used to seeing Charmaine as the goody goody two shoes and her pairing with Kevin imo .. dude, we JUST saw them together in Flaming Heart this year =/ and it`s been a LONG time since she`s played the antagonist role in a film, the last one i remember is HSDS 10 years ago (WB does really count imo since like, everyone was pretty much evil haha)

Moses is so GREAT!!!! i laughed so hard in ep 6 when he took Tsui mama`s purse and 'tripped' running towards Bo gongong =DDDDDDDDDDDDD

I know! It seems like the bigger the headpiece the more powerful you are. I wonder how they hold it up... sore necks anyone? As much as I would love to see Charmaine as the antagonist, I want to see Tavia evil more. It's time for her to shine, I think. Wasn't Charmaine's character in Drive of Life kind of evil? Like, at the end?

Question

Cut post, sorry!

No, I think Charmaine's acting is finee! The scriptwriters make Lau Sam Ho too perfect, so it's hard for Charmaine to have development at this stage. But I think later on, when she has to fight back to Tavia [at least I think she does], it'll get waaaay more interesting. Right now, it's almost, dare I say, boring watching her character, whereas Tavia is starting to develop her evilness.

I started to become her fan after I saw her in HSDS too!! while everyone is praising over GiGi's character, I felt so bad for Charm's character b/c she is controlled by her annoying Mentor...gosh, I hate that lady in EVERY version of HSDS.

To answer your question about her acting, I think it's not her fault at all. The problem lies in the script itself. The script basically limits what she can and cannot do. I can't believe the writers created such a flawless character!! Perfect, lucky, and pretty in every way. Therefore, it's hard for us viewers to connect with Sam Ho. While Kam Ling goes through more obstacles, so people tend to feel more for her.

Regarding image, haha XD Have you seen You're Hired? :P Isn't her image there very out-going and fierce? Very different from Sam Ho in Beyond. I don't think Charm cares about being in a "bad/evil" role. She will DO IT! Just look at her character in Heaven and Earth. Can't wait to see her kicking butts.

Cut post, sorry!

I noticed her in Return of the Cuckoo, but liked her more after HSDS. It's hard to believe it's been that long, hahaha. We're getting old. I can't wait for a change in Lau Sam Ho. I'm almost getting tired of her 'doing good, speaking good, showing good heart' line. It pops up every time. Right, it's the script. Darn that script. Add some character to her!

At first I didn't anticipate You're Hired. But after watching her spontaneous shopaholic character, I wanted to see more of it! It reminded me of one of her characters in ... Maiden's Vow [her wild curly hair one]. Ahaha, cannibalism in Heaven and Earth. That's completely new for TVB.

Anyways, ohmygosh, episode 12 ended so abruptly I couldn't catch my breath. Rawr, I hate cliff hangers! I think whoever gets promoted [i have my suspicions] things will get even more ugly. It's a palace scheme alright. I think Tavia will do anything to get Moses to notice her... like using her friendship with Charmaine. Baaaaad, but I like it muahaha.

Guest twenty6twelve

Regarding her acting in HSDS, I thought it was really good for a newcomer, when she was turning evil because of jealousy - her love for the guy turned to hate, and revenge :D

Yeah, I agree with u all. She was awesome in both Maiden's vow & You're hired!

I don't like it when she is playing weak characters but those like stated above, it's way more amusing when watchingB)

Wooah I can't wait to see more of Kam Ling vs. Sam Ho later on. When Sam ho really "fights" back again, then maybe we finally can see more from her character?.

Okay, I can't stand this anymore, think i gonna watch ep. 1 w/eng subs then:( better than waiting for vietdub.

Guest chubbygirl1

I find Charmaine character boringgggggggg and the most glaring flaw in this drama. <_<:angry:

Ughh, wat's wrong w/ the writer!

Everyting about Sam Ho is PERFECT, (r u kidding me! *rolleyes*)

wth, they say this drama was "inspired" by Dae Jang Geum, but sorri, i see no resemblance in any qualities watsoever.(Duhh, even a blindiee can see that)

In DJG, at least u see the protagonist has human flaw, hatred, angst, ect...unlike Sam Ho, ahhh "everything is okai, willl be okai la"

Sam Hr, Wthheckkk....in every scene, she was the "magical problem solver", okai, writer problem.

and then here Charmiane. Theere is not even an iota of servient mannerism in her. NO lowering her head/posture, weary eyes, ect.....and My God, Kelivn's character is like the male Charmain character. THey bothh tooo perfect, it makes me really laugh w/ disgust. :wacko:

wathcing BTROC make me miss my old TVB dramas., ahhh, the olden day, now the drama quality and acting quality diminishes greatly.:angry:

Guest annieme25

^ HAHHAHA totally agree. charmaine's character is just TOO perfect. I feel like Tavia is more of the lead role. The way she thinks and does the things she does makes the drama so much more exciting! :lol: The story doesn't seem to wrap around charmaine..as how I thought it would have been. I mean they bring her family and her love into the story but i still focus more on tavia.

Is it me or is the trailer off :huh: from the drama right now. Idk, just the people playing and the bits and pieces they show. mhhmm

Guest JJ no Baka

Is it me or is the trailer off :huh: from the drama right now. Idk, just the people playing and the bits and pieces they show. mhhmm

It's off. <_< This is what's making me not like the drama as much. The trailer itself is better than the whole drama right now.

actually, charm has played several villain roles already, like in The Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre and war and beauty^^

Hahaha...I was actually rooting for her in HSDS instead for Gigi... Maybe it's because I watched The Flying Fox of the Snowy Mountain before HSDS so I really liked Charmaine more than Gigi in HSDS :lol:

Well, you can't really blame her, it's the company's choice. Somehow they LOVE to put her in good girl roles. I love the evil Charmaine in War of Beauty. Everyone was great there. ;)

If you want to see a baddie role, wait for her role in the upcoming Heaven and Earth about cannibalism. I read about her character...she's such a baddie.. :lol:

Yep, her character in WAB was so pitiful. Everyone basically died!

Well, I don't really blame her, like someone said it's the fault of the scriptwriters who made her character too perfect. Her acting is very decent, I really liked her previous roles (like HSDS, CS, WAB, DOL, ...) I love to see her in modern series (because I like her outfits in those series :P )

As much as I love Charmain, I think it's finally Tavia her time to shine!! To show us what she got hahaha...There are rumours that either she or Sheren are going to win this years TVB's Best Actress...What do you think, who will win it?

I haven't heared of Heaven of Earth, but it sounds very exciting. I mean cannibalism? That's a first on TVB hahaha...

Anyways, I just watched ep. 14 and lots of things happend in that episode!!! Tavia is turning evil... I loved her vicious smile/grin!!

Oh btw, don't you guys think that Moses is wearing way to much make-up =___=" it's really way too much. He doesn't really look like him anymore, his eyes are weird, to much black stuff (eyeliner? powder?) on his eyes...

Guest msmilkt

^Charmaine`s role lacks character compared to Sheren`s role .. like seriously. Sam Ho is too unrealistically perfect which makes her predictable and boring. After reading your post, i would have to agree it is defiantly Tavia`s time to shine and the antagonist role in this scenario is much more interesting to watch =D

I don`t mind Moses`s make up, from afar. Up close it is a bit too much.

I don`t think this is a literal remake of Dae Jang Geum, more like HK`s version of it with the ladies in charge of the departments and the whole internal war inside the imperial castle. At least I thought that Charmaine`s sub-theme song sounded heaps like DJG`s theme song hahas!

Guest je_amourx

As grand and glamorous the production is, I am a bit disappointed in the characters the writers have developed.

Sam Ho (Charmaine) - her character is such a cliche character for TVB. Undeniably perfect & flawless that it makes her unrealistic. It makes the show annoying in that aspect. I mean, what were the writers thinking?! It is not only boring to watch Sam Ho but annoying as well ...

Hin Yeung (Kevin) - He is the male version of Sam Ho.

I honestly dread watching Hin Yeung and Sam Ho together. I think the drama is more focused on the internal war within the imperial palace than ... say the crafts and such of the departments. I'd love to see how they make the outfits, jewels/pins, prepare the food, etc .... it'd make the drama more interesting instead of DRAMA,DRAMA,DRAMA.

Is anyone else watching Born Rich?

I hate to say it, but I think I'm beginning to enjoy it [much] more than BTROC. Nothing is predictable and the actors and characters of the drama is amazing. I have nothing bad to say about it, hehe.

Sam Ho is too unrealistically perfect which makes her predictable and boring. After reading your post, i would have to agree it is defiantly Tavia`s time to shine and the antagonist role in this scenario is much more interesting to watch =D

I don`t mind Moses`s make up, from afar. Up close it is a bit too much.

Cut post, sorry!

I'm a big Charmaine fan, and I'm getting really tired of watching Lau Sam Ho. Even her acting isn't making up for the character. I can't blame her, though. Lack of creativity on the writers' part. I doubt Charmaine will win any awards this year. Maybe You're Hired? But she's up against Tavia and Sheren... huge competition. When I see Tavia's evilness acting up, I cringe and I hate her for it, but that's what make me love it even more, haha. And Moses' makeup... ugh. It's so unnecessary! Thank goodness they don't use as much in the later episodes.

As grand and glamorous the production is, I am a bit disappointed in the characters the writers have developed.

Sam Ho (Charmaine) - her character is such a cliche character for TVB. Undeniably perfect & flawless that it makes her unrealistic. It makes the show annoying in that aspect. I mean, what were the writers thinking?! It is not only boring to watch Sam Ho but annoying as well ...

Hin Yeung (Kevin) - He is the male version of Sam Ho.

I honestly dread watching Hin Yeung and Sam Ho together. I think the drama is more focused on the internal war within the imperial palace than ... say the crafts and such of the departments. I'd love to see how they make the outfits, jewels/pins, prepare the food, etc .... it'd make the drama more interesting instead of DRAMA,DRAMA,DRAMA.

Is anyone else watching Born Rich?

I hate to say it, but I think I'm beginning to enjoy it [much] more than BTROC. Nothing is predictable and the actors and characters of the drama is amazing. I have nothing bad to say about it, hehe.

Cut post, sorry!

Maybe that's why Lau Sam Ho and Hin Yeung are so perfect for each other =_='' Charmaine and Kevin don't lack chemistry, it's their characters that make everything so boring! I was soooo looking forward to their relationship development, but now I hate watching them together. Like in episode 15, when Moses was about to propose to Charmaine, something just had to happen! And then when Moses saw Kevin and Charmaine together... sigh. It would be so much more interesting if Moses did happen to propose to Charmaine .

I want to see more of the departments too! Especially them making the jewelry and food, yum yum.

At first I didn't want to watch Born Rich because it didn't interest me, but now I'm having second thoughts.

So... Tavia finally got what she wants! I feel bad for Moses though, not being able to be with the girl he likes because of Kevin. Sigh, I wish Kevin didn't exist, haha. Then Charmaine and Tavia would both be consorts, and then war begins between them! Buahaha, at least they'll both be evil.

Guest antinh85

^^

I thought Sam ho did marry Moses. It looks like that from the preview. It looks like Moses really loves Tavia later on.

Whenever Charmaine does a series, there's always a bunch of haters voicing their opinions. She only does one or two series a year. IT's not like she dominates all the series. People keep saying that she never improves. That is not true! If you look back in her old series you can see the different type of roles she portrayed but it so happens that TVB given her more good roles because it fits her warm looks.

Anyways it all works out, You have the boring couple (Sam ho and Hin Yeung) then you have the fascinating couple ( tavia and moses). I think tvb always go about this route.

I feel bad for the old ladys, they have to wear those heavy hair.rrrrrrrr..seeing it just makes me feel bad. Common couldn't they make the custome more realistic. Like the Grand Empress, who has that much hair. It's practically as large as the size of her face..lol

Archived