Japanese Discussion 日本語の討論会

Guest putasmileon

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the meaning to the name 'Kaneshiro'?

Well 金 (kane) is gold or metal and 城 (shiro) is castle. It literally means an impregnable castle or fortress. In certain places like Okinawa 金城 is often pronounced kinjou instead of kaneshiro (kinjou is the chinese way of reading it in Japanese, kaneshiro is the native Japanese way of reading it).

There's also a famous Japanese actor named 金城武 (kaneshiro takeshi)

Guest tin27™

I've been studying hiragana all night using a program I downloaded online, and I found it very useful. Although I can only write about 20 hiraganas off the top of my head, I'm able to recognize all 46 basic syllables after drilling for a few hours.

Picture2-1.jpg

Picture1-1.jpg

There are bunch of programs out there. My program happens to be on a mac, but it is one of those run of the mill flash-card programs. It makes life pretty easy. I went from knowing nothing this morning to knowing almost half of all the hiragana characters. Definitely recommend it. :P

What's the name of that program!? ..mind if you'll gimme the link :rolleyes:

I'm studying katakana and hiragana(how to read & write blushing.gif), that thing may help me :D

And oh, is there any japanese-english dictionary program u can recommend(like encarta english dictionary) :unsure:

Thanx~

:)

Guest putasmileon

Well 金 (kane) is gold or metal and 城 (shiro) is castle. It literally means an impregnable castle or fortress. In certain places like Okinawa 金城 is often pronounced kinjou instead of kaneshiro (kinjou is the chinese way of reading it in Japanese, kaneshiro is the native Japanese way of reading it).

There's also a famous Japanese actor named 金城武 (kaneshiro takeshi)

金城武 is half Japanese half Taiwanese. :D He attended my school in Taipei.

What's the name of that program!? ..mind if you'll gimme the link :rolleyes:

I'm studying katakana and hiragana(how to read & write blushing.gif), that thing may help me :D

And oh, is there any japanese-english dictionary program u can recommend(like encarta english dictionary) :unsure:

Thanx~

:)

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6510

^^ That's similar for hiragana.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6511

^^ Its katakana counterpart.

Do you have a Mac? These are Mac programs.

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/18495

^^ Dictionary program

Guest dopemills

i have a question about honourifics.

been reading up a fair bit and i'm wondering, is it possible for girls to use 'boku' and 'kimi'? say for informal situations, with close friends. etc.

similarly, for the use of '~kun' for girls.

"textbook" japanese mentions that it's not right. what about "non-textbook" japanese. is there such a thing? just being curious. ^^;;

It's possible, not that common but it happens. If you listen to any of BoAs songs in Japanese she uses boku all the time actually. It's a tomboyish thing to do but as you know in Japan femininity > tomboyness. kimi isn't as common among girls and -kun even less so. Bosses may call lower ranking female employees -kun but I've never a girl call another girl blabla-kun

Anyways just sticking to the standard girl way of doing things would be safer, it's what Japanese will expect of you

Guest orangecake

It's possible, not that common but it happens. If you listen to any of BoAs songs in Japanese she uses boku all the time actually. It's a tomboyish thing to do but as you know in Japan femininity > tomboyness. kimi isn't as common among girls and -kun even less so. Bosses may call lower ranking female employees -kun but I've never a girl call another girl blabla-kun

Anyways just sticking to the standard girl way of doing things would be safer, it's what Japanese will expect of you

うん。

「ぼく」って言う表現を使う女の子は時々いるよね。

ふざけて使う場合もあるし、自分が女の子であることにあまりこだわりたくない時なんかに使うかな。 :)

BoAとか、浜崎あゆみの歌詞によく出てくる「ぼく」は、女の子が自分のことを「ぼく」って言ってるんじゃなくて、女の子が男の子の立場に立って、歌ってるんだよ。

「ぼくが君を守る」っていう歌詞があったら、例え歌ってるのが女の子でも、男の子が女の子を守る、っていう状況だね。

日本の歌には昔からそういうの多いよ。

男の歌手が「あたしはあなたを愛してます~」って歌う、演歌とか多いしね。この場合、もちろん、男性が歌っていても、「あたし」は女性。

まあ、女の子が「ぼく」って使っても、そんなに深い意味はないと、私は思ってるけど、エライ人たちはそこにすぐ意味を探したがる。

少し前に、自分のお母さんを殺そうとした高校生がいて、彼女が自分のブログに「ぼく」という一人称を使ってたものだから、そこから彼女の異常性を説明しようと語る語る。 :sweatingbullets:

そんな単純なものじゃないと思うんだけどね~。 :sweatingbullets:

BoAとか、浜崎あゆみの歌詞によく出てくる「ぼく」は、女の子が自分のことを「ぼく」って言ってるんじゃなくて、女の子が男の子の立場に立って、歌ってるんだよ。

「ぼくが君を守る」っていう歌詞があったら、例え歌ってるのが女の子でも、男の子が女の子を守る、っていう状況だね。

そうなんだ。。BoAのEverlastingって歌聴いたところで、[この「さよなら」が旅立ちならば僕の笑顔を全部あげるよ, 出逢ったことも歩いた町も二人の胸で生き続けるの]って歌詞があるけどこの場合にもBoAは男性の立場から歌ってるの? 

Guest moochi2000

ok this is more like a request

my japanese is definitely not that good

i have a friend that has a doraemon robot, more like a toy and it has this thick thick manual all in japanese, the only thing I've managed to do is set time and date.

Is there any way that someone could help me out by translating the beginning parts so at least it will move?

If not, can anyone suggest a method to translate them in the easiest way possible?

doraemon_robot_toy.jpg

Guest davidnuknow

ahhhh i wanna learn japanese!! thx for sharing the resources!! welll acutally i've just started to learn korean n japanese >< lol

Is there any way that someone could help me out by translating the beginning parts so at least it will move?

If not, can anyone suggest a method to translate them in the easiest way possible?

Well first you're going to need to post the part of the manual you want translated..

Guest putasmileon

そうなんだ。。BoAのEverlastingって歌聴いたところで、[この「さよなら」が旅立ちならば僕の笑顔を全部あげるよ, 出逢ったことも歩いた町も二人の胸で生き続けるの]って歌詞があるけどこの場合にもBoAは男性の立場から歌ってるの? 

Haha I've always been wondering that... perhaps there's some deeper meaning to her usage of "boku" - especially in Everlasting.

Guest orangecake

たぶんね。

その場合、語尾の「の」がちょっと変な感じではあるけど・・・。 :sweatingbullets:

でも、Everlastingの歌詞の内容はやはり、男の子の立場って考えたほうが自然な気がする。

てか、「男の子にこう言ってもらいたい」っていう女の子の願望? B)

Haha I've always been wondering that... perhaps there's some deeper meaning to her usage of "boku" - especially in Everlasting.

深い意味・・・と、言えば言えるかな?

つまり、女の子が「ぼく」を使うと、女の子にも男の子にも共感されやすいから、より普遍的な内容になる、ってことかなあ。

ぶっちゃけ、BoAが「ぼく」って言うと、可愛いよね。 :lol:

そうかそうか。。僕の知ってる限りこんな歌い方はアメリカにはないから明らかにしてくれてありがとう :D  日本の歌に限ってるかな。。まあ英語では僕、私、俺なんてがなくてただ「I/Me」みたいな男女の区別のない言い方しかないから仕方がないんだな

The limit of my language is the limit of my worldって日本語で言いたいんだけど「言葉の限りは世界の限りである」って自然に聞こえますか?

Guest orangecake

そうかそうか。。僕の知ってる限りこんな歌い方はアメリカにはないから明らかにしてくれてありがとう :D  日本の歌に限ってるかな。。まあ英語では僕、私、俺なんてがなくてただ「I/Me」みたいな男女の区別のない言い方しかないから仕方がないんだな

The limit of my language is the limit of my worldって日本語で言いたいんだけど「言葉の限りは世界の限りである」って自然に聞こえますか?

う~ん。ちょっと不自然。

「言葉の限界は世界の限界である」

が、いいかな。 :)

Guest darkmafiaguy

Hii, if anyone could help me out that'd be great. I just got this Japanese air freshner from Mitsuwa today and everything written on it is in Japanese (surprise). The thing is, we are in the middle of a major heatwave (California atleast) and I don't know if exessive heat will ruin it or something.

If anyone could translate the warnings (I know there is atleast one), temperature limits, longevity, what NOT to do with it, etc., that'd be great.

THANKS, much appreciated. :)

Side A:

1bd2.th.png

Side B:

2ot1.th.png

Guest ekinshuya

Im sorry to bother but since you guys are good with japanese can any of you translate the word "forever" in japanese symbol for me? And also the word "I love you" in Japanese symbol too? thanks ALOT!!!! i really apperciate it

Guest putasmileon

Hii, if anyone could help me out that'd be great. I just got this Japanese air freshner from Mitsuwa today and everything written on it is in Japanese (surprise). The thing is, we are in the middle of a major heatwave (California atleast) and I don't know if exessive heat will ruin it or something.

If anyone could translate the warnings (I know there is atleast one), temperature limits, longevity, what NOT to do with it, etc., that'd be great.

THANKS, much appreciated. :)

Side A:

1bd2.th.png

Side B:

2ot1.th.png

Don't drink it, keep it away from kids, don't place it in direct sunlight, keep it in a place with a temperature below 104F (40C), don't use it in any other method other than the one that's directed, don't put it on the airbag or anywhere that may obstruct driving (like gas pedal, dashboard, etc.), and one again - DON'T DRINK IT! They stress that a lot, but it's sorta common sense.

There's no longevity marking here... maybe they have an expiration date somewhere. Check around the packaging.

Im sorry to bother but since you guys are good with japanese can any of you translate the word "forever" in japanese symbol for me? And also the word "I love you" in Japanese symbol too? thanks ALOT!!!! i really apperciate it

Forever, as an adverb, is "いつまでも (itsumademo)". For example, "いつまでも生きる (itsumademo ikiru)" means "live forever".

When used as a noun, forever is "永遠 (eien)".

I love you is "(あなたのことが) 愛してる - (anata no koto ga) aishiteru". あなたのことが (Anata no koto ga) can be omitted.

==============================================================

わ〜今日は悲しいです。JTBの仕事を止めた。法事務弁護仕事務所の仕事は本当に大変だから、会社に行ける時間がない。僕の問題が分かるので、勤務時間が縮まった。でも、今は毎週、JTBで4時間も仕事ができない。仕事を止めた時に、東京行きの往復きっぷをもらった。嬉しいけど、いつ日本へ行けるかな。大変ね!!

(へへ、どうもorangecakeさん!)

Archived