MISS UNIVERSE 2009

Guest GoRgYnA

Guest dramaprincessxox

I thought the asians in this year's contest were eeehhh....

Not necessarily, look at Miss China and Miss Malaysia. They just didn't have the "right" features. I was also shocked to realise that definitely, from the beginning of this decade, the faces of Miss Universe have changed completely. Apparently in the 90's, a kind of cuter charm was the popular thing. Now, the girls have to look more sensual and they can no longer have even slightly chubby cheeks or round faces. Look at the winners from 1990 to 1999. Compare them with the winners of this decade! What a huge difference in what were considered desirable features.

1990 - Norway

1990norwayal1.jpg

1991 - Mexico

1991mexico.jpg

1992 - Namibia

1992namibia.jpg

1993 - Puerto Rico

1993puertorico.jpg

1994 - India

1994india.jpg

1995 - USA

1995USA.jpg

1996 - Greece

1996-greece.jpg

1997 - Hawaii

1997misshawaii.jpg

1998 - Trinidad and Tobago

1998tnt.jpg

1999 - Botswana

1999botswana.jpg

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Vanessa728

Hmm, after the 15 countries who made it was announced and no asian countries or any other countries I was rooting for made it, I lost interest in it. But goodness, how many times have Venezuela won? Too many.

Guest l'uomo

Did anyone catch what Billy Bush said after Venezuela won again?

He said "This has never happened before!" so he's either a beauty pageant fanatic that has memorized all the winners of the past 50 years or it was all set up

Guest dramaprincessxox

^ lol hawaii? dont you mean US? cause that year USA won

LOL well yes it's technically USA because Hawaii is part of the USA, but more specifically, Hawaii won.

Guest delightful123

Miss Venezuela is beautiful! I thought Kosovo was very pretty as well, though slightly awkward? She does look like Audrey!!! My sister and I noticed that last night : ). I knew Miss Venezuela looked familiar; she does look a lot like Bridget Moynahan.

Hopefully Miss Korea will look better in the next pageant =/.

Guest GoRgYnA

Tales from the crypt from criticalbeauty.com

A new Miss Universe has been crowned, many pageant fans are not happy with the results, and an online petition is going around the world condemning the results and demanding that MUO "provide a reasonable explanation on how [their] accounting methods proved Miss Venezuela to be the winner in this recent election." Interested in signing the petition?

Gee, I wonder who started the petition? Could it be Dominicans who felt cheated out that their delegate - a seasoned pageant veteran with a commanding stature and exotic features - was defeated by a much younger, yet ebullient and always cheerful brunette? Or could it be Puerto Ricans who are shouting fraud and claiming that the results might have been read in reverse order? It doesn't really matter who started the petition, because MUO will just ignore it. Besides, MUO is not obligated to reveal their accounting books to the public, unless the federal government demands it.

Anyway, there are far more interesting things to talk about, like the following stories. Fact or fiction? You decide. Though I can tell you that these "tales" were submitted to me by an extremely reliable source, and it's not someone from the CB coverage team!

1. When the top 5 had already been selected, MUO President Paula Shugart approached the judges on several occasions and with her hand she gave instructions on how they should vote. At one point, she was seen arguing with André Leon Talley. She kept insisting and telling the judges that they choose a beauty queen/model. Apparently, this wasn't the first time that Paula had an argument with judges; in 2007, some people noticed a disgusted Paula telling the judges that MUO wanted a queen with fashion sense.

2. From the stage, several candidates noticed Donald Trump hinting to Paula Shugart that the winner should either be Australia or Puerto Rico.

3. As soon as the telecast ended, a bothered and serious Paula Shugart told Lark-Marie Anton that they should wrap up with the picture-taking on stage.

4. Several delegates commented that they had prepared themselves to attend several activities only to be told that they couldn't go anywhere and that they should remain in their rooms to rest. There were some delegates who expressed their annoyance because they only visited one island, whereas most of the other delegates went to more than one island.

5. Miss Turks and Caicos Jewel Selver suffered from severe depression and many of the contestants tried to cheer her up so she could stay, but she decided to leave instead. What MUO said about the status of her health is completely false. She left because of severe depression caused for the most part by two Latin delegates - allegedly Miss Argentina Johanna Lasic and Miss Colombia Michelle Rouillard (photo).

6. Miss Colombia hardly spoke to the other Latin girls, and even if she spoke to them, she would speak to them in English. She almost never spoke with Miss Venezuela Stefania Fernandez, and when she spoke to Stefania in English, Stefania would not understand. She behaved like a total pinkberry and said that the pageant had been a big waste of time.

7. Several Latin candidates were surprised by the lesbian tendencies of Miss Malaysia Joannabelle Ng who in more than one occasion made suggestive comments to Miss Mexico Karla Carrillo and to other Latin and European delegates.

8. Miss Serbia Dragana Atlija is a lesbian.

9. During the coronation ball which was not transmitted online as MUO had promised, hardly any member of the press paid attention to Miss Venezuela. The most sought-after by the press were Miss Australia Rachael Finch and Miss Puerto Rico Mayra Matos.

10. Miss Spain Estibaliz Ribade was a witness to Miss Dominican Republic Ada Aimee de la Cruz's bulimia during the last two weeks of the pageant. Ada would sit at the table with her friends, but she would disappear for one moment. And when Estibaliz went to her room, she began noticing the toilet was full of vomit. Ada induced her vomit and told Estibaliz that the food always made her sick. Estibaliz was a witness to all this.

11. Magali Febles, the national director of the Dominican Republic, was scolded by the MUO staff because she would enter places where she was not supposed to. Many people saw her on several occasions talking merrily with Paula Shugart. She was also seen telling everyone that MUO should respect her for everything that she has done for the organization. And to give Mayra a hard time, Magali brought a young woman with whom Mayra had competed in Miss Puerto Rico Universe 2009. This woman's name is Ida Ibarra who represented the town of Dorado. Magali paid for Ida's travel and hotel arrangements but bringing her did not make Mayra lose her focus.

12. There were several candidates who went out with the Miss Universe security staff (not the Bahamian security staff, but MUO's own security staff). Miss Croatia Sarah Cosic was seen many times coming out of her room and entering the room of a MUO security guy who is Latino.

13. Many candidates complained about the late-night parties that the Asian girls were having. The Asian girls were Misses Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia. They would meet in one of the rooms to drink liquor until dawn.

14. Miss Mexico Karla Carrillo was very worried by what her national director Lupita Jones would tell her during their meeting. Karla said that she did not want to see Lupita because all throughout the pageant Lupita was pressuring her in a bad manner so she would qualify. Karla said that she's thinking of renouncing her Miss Mexico title because she can no longer stand Lupita's attitude.

15. Miss Dominican Republic and Miss Venezuela hung out a lot with each other and Miss Venezuela would tell her that she (Miss Venezuela) would be the winner.

16. Trump's favorites were Misses Croatia, Iceland, Switzerland, Sweden and Belgium.

17. After the coronation, the mother of Miss Dominican Republic began to yell. She was very bothered that her daughter did not win. Security staff had to calm her down and she was also seen insulting Magali Febles.

18. The candidates were told to leave the hotel as soon as possible.

I am sure there are more tales to come, so stay tuned! LOL!

Interesting, very interesting lol.

Guest ichigo_no_powder

congrats to venezuela. she wasn't my favourite but is pretty

i always look forward to seeing the national costumes the most but this year's is a disappointment! some of the costumes are too revealing. Canada...I am so embarrased

Guest delightful123

^ I didn't find Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic all that attractive... Venezuela was definitely the prettiest to me~

i love reading these juicy gossips, whether it's true or not, still entertaining haha.

5. Miss Turks and Caicos Jewel Selver suffered from severe depression and many of the contestants tried to cheer her up so she could stay, but she decided to leave instead. What MUO said about the status of her health is completely false. She left because of severe depression caused for the most part by two Latin delegates - allegedly Miss Argentina Johanna Lasic and Miss Colombia Michelle Rouillard

admired her that she stood strong til the "near" end, but then again miss vietnam talked about turks&caicos's issue in an interview and she confirmed jewel's sickness to be true.

7. Several Latin candidates were surprised by the lesbian tendencies of Miss Malaysia Joannabelle Ng who in more than one occasion made suggestive comments to Miss Mexico Karla Carrillo and to other Latin and European delegates.

8. Miss Serbia Dragana Atlija is a lesbian.

hahahaha, so both serbia and malaysia are lesbo!? that's freaking hilarious. they sure had a good time checking out some of the finest babes on earth, lol

9. During the coronation ball which was not transmitted online as MUO had promised, hardly any member of the press paid attention to Miss Venezuela. The most sought-after by the press were Miss Australia Rachael Finch and Miss Puerto Rico Mayra Matos.

uh oh, poor stefania!

12. There were several candidates who went out with the Miss Universe security staff (not the Bahamian security staff, but MUO's own security staff). Miss Croatia Sarah Cosic was seen many times coming out of her room and entering the room of a MUO security guy who is Latino.

oooh dang, croatia. im sure she fell in love.

13. Many candidates complained about the late-night parties that the Asian girls were having. The Asian girls were Misses Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia. They would meet in one of the rooms to drink liquor until dawn.

girls just wanna have fun, i remembered what i saw at ms singapore's twitter- she mentioned about how it sucks that they can't drink and have a few booze at the party . . . damn, Ii can totally see these girls popping bottles, lol

16. Trump's favorites were Misses Croatia, Iceland, Switzerland, Sweden and Belgium.

:rolleyes: Oh yes trump, your sense of beauty!

miss universe's 2009 people's choice: thailand, congrats gurl!

1z3qgew.jpg

Guest vanggirlie

it was nice that Miss China won the Miss Congeniality Award and Miss Thailand won the Photogenic Award. this year, the top 15 or was it 10, was only ok. my mom thought that Miss Venezuela was the prettiest of the top 10. none of the top 5 answered that well.

the little behind the scene gossip tidbit sounds more exciting then the actual pageant.

Guest ring-a-bell

Hahahaha, so both serbia and malaysia are lesbo!? that's freaking hilarious. They sure had a good time checking out some of the finest babes on earth, lol

err actually nope. she's straight. miss malaysia has a boyfriend already and works as a pilot.

QUOTE (ring-a-bell @ Aug 26 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>err actually nope. she's straight. miss malaysia has a boyfriend already and works as a pilot.
oops my bad.

now for the ones who wants to see zivanna (of indonesia) pics from the after party. credit to misso-

ummm damn, who's in the middle getting it on with the cigarette? is she one of the contestant this year?

probably my fave photo of stefania, looking more fresher . . . better, she's sure growing on me.

Guest lostieee

I was rooting for Miss Puerto Rico! She has a sweet smile and she gave off this adorable, down-to-earth vibe! Her answer to the beauty question was reasonable as she refered "beauty comes from within". Plus, she resembles Jessica Alba from some angles! I love her! Miss Thailand was so so so gorgeous, she should've made it to top 10 in my opinion. However, I was as glad when she won Miss Photogenic! Miss China was... lol.

Miss Venezuela was okay, I guess judges digged her 1920s Hollywood persona. She reminds me of Natalie Portman. Personally I was hoping Miss Dominican Republic would win. As for Miss Kosovo, people didn't favour her because they didn't appreciate a "different" beauty. She's really pretty, looked like Audrey Hepburn as well.

Miss Singapore looks like Dawn Yang :mellow:

Guest GoRgYnA

http://i32.tinypic.com/1zd0xle.jpg

ummm damn, who's in the middle getting it on with the cigarette? is she one of the contestant this year?

That's Ireland lol.

rehearsal5.jpg

TRUMP IS AN IDIOT!!! Most of he personal 5 didn't even make past top 15.... he JUST WASTED the ORIGINAL 5 who actually made top 15. Sigh.

I really don't doubt that Zizi made the original top 15 list. Her EG and SS presentation during preliminaries was so much better than Stefania's!

I've lost hope on Miss Universe lol.

This is taken from Overexposed's post at missosology.org

Two days after the crowning of a new Miss Universe and a day before it finally leaves the Bahamas, the MUO called on a high level staff meeting behind closed doors in one of the Atlantis Resort’s function rooms. The principal objective of the meeting was simple: provide a post production/post-event evaluation of the just concluded pageant. As a part of the “wardrobe crew” of this year’s Miss Universe pageant, I had the privilege of joining the exclusive meeting and “in the interest of the truth,” would now want to share with the public some of the things that I found out.

TRUMP AND MUO

Officers and staff of the MUO (including Paula) aren’t very happy with the way the results are formulated year after year after year. Most of them feel really bad how pageant fans the world over react negatively to the MUO’s supposed choices, especially since the final results declared on pageant night aren’t exactly reflective of the real list that preliminary judges come up with. Paula even commented, “pageant fans aren’t blind. They have a good feel of who are in and who are not.” She even feels for deserving contestants who get booted out by the so-called Trump ladies and has admitted to feeling very uncomfortable having to look at these ladies’ supporters straight in the eye and give them an explanation for an obvious injustice. The fact that there were no Asians in this year’s Final 15 made Paula shake her head in disappointment saying “there’s just no way for us to deny that some of our results were somehow fixed. We could have at least had token spots.” No matter how difficult, at the end of the day, Paula just chooses to stand by what her boss wants and be the pro that she is! Based on what I heard during the meeting, however, discontent over Trump’s management of the MUO is growing.

TRUMP CARDS

No matter how hard they deny it or even cover up the existence of a Trump list, let it be said that Mr. Trump truly does a selection of his own favorites. This was thoroughly discussed during the meeting. In this year’s edition of the Miss Universe Pageant, five Top 15 ladies were taken out of the list to give way to Mr. Trump’s personal choices. Statuesque Ms. Vietnam was one of them. Even worse was the case of the Philippines, which already had three delegates taken out of the semifinal list in three editions of the Trump organized Miss Universe Pageant. India is another country that is slowly losing its steam as far as Mr. Trump is concerned. Mr. Trump once commented that Indian women are “way too smart and not very sexy.”

IT IS ALL BUSINESS

While pageant fanatics may consider exclusion of their ladies as an act of racism or personal bias, the truth about the selection of Miss Universe winners under the Trump franchise is that this is all based on business. Check out the global footprint of the Trump Organization’s Real Estate, Hotel and Golf Club businesses. It will be easy to correlate their locations to the winners of his pageant. Aside from having these types of developments all over the USA, Mr. Trump has real estate projects in Cap Cana, Dominican Republic (it should no longer surprise you why Dominican Republic has been very successful in penetrating the top 5 almost yearly, with Amelia Vega as a recent winner); Toronto, Canada (of course Natalie’s crown was a fitting “thank you”); Seoul, Soth Korea (Honey Lee’s second runner up finish was close); Rio Grande, Puerto Rico (okay, this is just so obvious—Puerto Rico’s almost assured of a top 5 slot yearly); and Dubai, UAE (well, he can’t do much about this given the UAE’s Muslim tradition). Other countries, which may be allotted regular spots in the Miss Universe final selection are: Panama (for Mr. Trump’s projects in Panama City); Scotland (he’s got developments in Aberdeen); and Turkey (to support his interests in Istanbul). Of course, token spots may also be granted for Miss Universe sponsors, as in the cases of BSC (Thailand) and Mikimoto (Japan). To pageant fans, never ever forget that Mr. Trump is a businessman, a shrewd one. As a business partner, I’d even say he’s good. He knows how to match a partner’s generosity and kindness (quid pro quo)—and the easiest way for him is through his Miss Universe franchise.

I guess that’s all I am allowed to share. You know how things are run in this pageant now. As for me, my job here’s done—I guess. I’ve decided to tender my resignation after this whole thing is over. I am glad to have shared this with all of you.

Guest laffly

In this year’s edition of the Miss Universe Pageant, five Top 15 ladies were taken out of the list to give way to Mr. Trump’s personal choices. Statuesque Ms. Vietnam was one of them. Even worse was the case of the Philippines, which already had three delegates taken out of the semifinal list in three editions of the Trump organized Miss Universe Pageant.

:(

BIG UGH

Archived