MISS UNIVERSE 2009

Guest GoRgYnA

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest NEYUGN93

Gee, thanks for editing the title

Was looking forward to finding out tonight since it'll be aired tonight for Australia ...

Guest azinchic

A total disappointment for me today right after Miss Venezula won Miss Universe. I though miss D. Repulic or Aus. should have won, but is the other way around. *sad*

Guest hopesofgreen

@ happyboy: Diversity doesn't necessary mean race. Here I meant diversity in looks and presentation. I did point out that I felt they are all gorgeous, but they have similar looks. It is a beauty contest, and even using this as the basis for the slots, I personally felt there were stronger contestants. You're right that it seems like there is a prototype for the kind of girls that make the top slots, and this is something I hope would change. I was simply disappointed to see that this was not the case. I've been following the updates up until the show, and a number of Asian contestants were leading in popularity (Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand) and it wasn't just on this forum. Even on the official missuniverse.com website. These three contestants arguably fit the western standards of beauty since this seems to be your basis of argument. A few of my non-Asian friends thought Indonesia and Thailand were gorgeous, and more striking than Miss USA. Therefore I'm just disappointed that the judges and Trump couldn't see pass their usual norm of beauty.

I don't believe people are specifically complaining about wanting regional contestants, but the opinion is that there is a very strong bunch of striking Asians (who were favorites among many blogs, forums and the official website) but they didn't make even the top 15. Two Asians made it last year, Japan and Vietnam, but I don't remember caring too much last year because there were better contestants.

Regarding what Asians find beautiful, I haven't checked with everyone in that country, so I can't (like you) conclude that they find those features beautiful because these are the features they're ashamed of. I'm sure you're more well researched than I am.

Regarding on what think Asians must do, I don't think they should conform their ideals. A country should find a beauty representative of their country, not of another country. Or else the pageant can all be called Miss Western Country.

Trump does play a big role in choosing the winners and I believe he does have a set of standards he looks for, and this is what's disappointing because it will always be the same type of beauty that wins. That doesn't necessary make the other contestants less pretty, it just didn't conform to this man's particular ideal of it. This in turn makes the whole pageant less fun to watch and you don't find yourself rooting for someone as much. Ratings have been dropping in the last few years and although I'm sure there are many factors, I believe a part of this is due to the fact that it seems repetitive every year. Viewers might also be able to guess the top 15, the top 5.

Guest _ATELIER

i'm going to admit that heidi montag is a singer i listen to in the dark... i like her songs LOL.

definitely a disappointing year, i had high hopes for miss vietnam, so that was a bummer and like someone mentioned i could openly guess which countries would typically make the top 15/5 now. i'm not that sad about miss venezuela winning, i thought she was gorgeous despite the red lipstick that made her look twice her age, her gown was amazing too. there's just no excitement anymore.

Guest My Sweet September

Well I was happy Venezuela won...she was my favorite out of the top 10 (I liked Belgium a lot too! She was so cute!)

I thought all the answers SUCKED though. like, what? Those were some of the worst answers I've heard, not a good one in the bunch. All the girls either avoided the question and didn't really answer it or gave a stupid, non insightful response.

I thought Miss Venezuela looked a LOT like Natalie Portman though, did anyone else???

128955689845896770.jpg

Miss Czech Republic also reminded me of Marisa Miller...lol...and Miss Kosovo reminded me of a less glam Audrey Hepburn.

Kind of disappointing year though TBH. And WTF...Heidi Pratt, or Montag, or whatever she is....didn't belong there...

Guest EnVogue

WTF NO

asians in the top 15?

i am so disappointed

when i read the headline i was like

WHO IS VENEZUELA?!

like i couldnt really remember her face..

oh my good...

who won the miss photogenic award?

Guest miki_chan

Very surprised that Venezuela won Miss Universe again D:

I was hoping that Australia would win, I can't wait to watch it tonight ;D

Guest Atmosphere.

wow she has a very nice gorgeous smile! how does Venezuela wins again? they could be up to something.. like money money money @_@

Guest tinatran_

i caught only the last 10-15 minutes of the show where there was only 5 finalists. kinda disappointing cause the girls i was rooting for wasn't even there. i started rooting for Miss Kosovo at the end, but she wasn't first place. oh well. XD congrats, Miss Venezuela!

Guest christelle-g

GOSH! I couldn't watch the show and no internet during the week end, and so surprised and disappointed when I saw the title of the thread! O_o

Is it fair for Venezuela to win again? I mean there's alot more beautiful contestant compared to the winner!

And NO ASIANS? This year, most of the asians were good.

But Miss Thailand for Photogenic? She's not that pretty on pictures! U_U

This year was .... Hope next year would be 1000x better

Guest monkeyboy

Venezuela was ehhhh....imo nothing is striking about her, her mouth is to big..I prefer Australia or Kosovo(just cuz her gown n hair were amzing)...when there were Dominican Republic and Venezuela left , i thought to myself Dominican Republic is going to win because Venezuela just won last year..but i was WRONG..lol...I prefer a different kind of "beauty" such as Riyo Mori, she totally brought a fresh air into MUO instead of the typical winner that are usually latina, generic look, nothing special

btw....Miss Venezuela is only 18!!! i was surpised cuz she is 2 yrs younger than me..lol

miss indonesia, miss malaysia, miss vietnam, miss japan didn't even make to the top 15?

i'm shocked by the decisions....

what happened to the judges?....what hapened to the choices?

sigh....

miss venezuela has a hot body......i don't know, we'll see how she works in the future with her new roll

she's so young btw

are these pics shared?

ve2reu.jpg

ve19reu.jpg

ve16reu.jpg

ve21ap.jpg

ve18reu.jpg

ve15reu.jpg

ve14reu.jpgve12reu.jpg

ve13reu.jpg

92048020.jpg

610x2reu.jpg