• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Herald 2010.01.12

KBS dominates prime time line-up

201001110030.jpg

The new year kicked off with a viewer ratings scrabble between the three major broadcast networks last week.

KBS came out on top with their Monday and Tuesday night series "The Masters of the Art of Study" and their Wednesday and Thursday night blockbuster "The Slave Hunters."

The first episode of KBS' "The Masters of the Art of Study" posted nationwide ratings of 15.1 percent (TNS Media Korea) last Monday. Rival dramas SBS' "Jejungwon The Hospital" and MBC's "Pasta" racked up 14.9 percent and 12.2 percent (TNS Media Korea) respectively.

Based on AGB Nielsen Media Research's numbers, however, KBS' "The Masters of the Art of Study" came in second to SBS' "Jejungwon The Hospital" said news reports.

The second episode scored an even higher 18.5 percent (TNS Media Korea) the following night, clenching a first week win for the academic series. "Jejungwon The Hospital" and "Pasta" followed close behind at 15.8 percent and 11.9 percent (TNS Media Korea) respectively. AGB Nielsen's numbers, according to news reports, also put "The Masters of the Art of Study" in first place.

According to a press release, one viewer posted the following comment on the drama's official bulletin board: "My grades were rock bottom and I dared not dream of going to a prestigious university but this drama gave me hope."

KBS' winning streak continued with "The Slave Hunters" on Wednesday. The new series beat out SBS' melodramatic "Will it snow for Christmas?", bringing in high nationwide ratings of 22.9 percent and 24.8 percent (TNS Media Korea) with its first two episodes.

News reports pointed to the collaboration between KBS and entertainment company Chorokbaem Media as one of the reasons behind the series' success. According to reports, KBS and Chorokbaem established a "drama fund"-style company for "The Slave Hunters," splitting investment costs halfway.

While solid financing is crucial to the success of any major project, it cannot ensure high ratings.

Spot-on scripting, tight acting, intelligent martial arts choreography and lush cinematography endowed the small screen series with big screen proportions. An adequate display of muscular brawn, intricate yet gritty fight scenes, bawdy humor and eloquent moments of humanity made it both visually and intellectually appealing.

The use of a Red One camera, a much-coveted gadget reportedly owned and used by prominent directors like Steven Soderbergh and "The Lord of the Rings" Peter Jackson, gave each shot its theater-worthy luster, a quality highlighted in the last scene of the second episode, when lead characters Lee Dae-gil (Jang Hyuk) and Song Tae-ha (Oh Ji-ho) rushed towards each other through a field of reeds in slow motion, swords drawn, glinting as they sliced through each reed.

According to a KBS press release, the series was sold to both Japan and Thailand before it started airing on KBS. Other Asian broadcasters and distributors, including Hong Kong and Taiwan, have also been making purchasing inquires, the press release added.

Meanwhile, rival drama "Will it snow for Christmas?" announced four winners for an online event held on the drama's official website. According to an SBS press release, from Nov. 23 to Dec. 23 as many as 1,000 participants posted their Christmas-related memories on the drama's website in the hopes that they would be chosen to go on a date with lead actor and actress Ko Soo and Han Ye-seul.

The conditions were that if it snowed on Christmas, two participants would be selected to go on a date with the drama's leads. Snow fell during Christmas and a total of four winners were selected.

Between Jan. 11 and Jan. 17, the winners will visit the set of "Will it snow for Christmas?" and share a meal with lead actors and actresses like Ko Soo, Han Ye-seul, Song Jong-ho and Sun Woo-sun. Those who wish to, will also be auditioned and star as an extra in the series, stated the press release.

(oh_jean@heraldm.com)

By Jean Oh

God of Study emerges as Leader on Mondays & Tuesdays

Week 2 has yielded more of a disparity between the new Monday-Tuesday shows — while Week 1 was pretty close between all the contenders, it seems the viewers have by now selected their favorites, and the numbers reflect those choices. AGB Nielsen numbers put KBS’s school drama God of Study firmly ahead of the competition with a 21.2% rating for its third episode, leaving its rivals, SBS’s historical medical show Jejoongwon and MBC’s trendy series Pasta, duking it out for second place with a respective 13.1% and 12.8%.

I’m not terribly surprised and I don’t begrudge any one series success over the others, because quality-wise I think all three are solid. They’ve all got their charms and flaws, so this probably boils down to a matter of taste (and buzz, and casting). I suppose in a business sense this is more of a disappointment for Jejoongwon (which went in with more buzz and anticipation than Pasta). The question is whether the numbers will level off here, or if the latter two will fall further.

As for me, I’m sticking with Pasta, and keeping an eye on God of Study. Sorry, Jejoongwon, you’ll have to take a backseat for now, since I’m swamped and I’ve got another sageuk on my plate at the mo’. But what a promising drama season it’s shaping up to be; there’s a nice variety of offerings and a good number of prospects, depending on your preference.

cr.dramabeans

Via Joy News, OSEN

meanwhile TNS Ratings fell to 12.5% :(

Thanks for all the pics and links. Watched ep 3. That was good. Hang Jung was saved by Allen. Had a good talk (while wanting to stab) with Do Yang (who didn't seem to recognize him). On his way to escape, Hang Jung ogled some with Seok Ran (ooh tiny bit of romance hint). Hang Jung fainted and got picked up by "the wild bunch." Meanwhile there's some politics hot stuff is going on or something. Hang Jung ended up working part time as coolie with "the wild bunch" aiding a coup which involved some Westerners, some politicians and Seok Ran's dad. As a result Hang Jung helped the Westerners and Seok Ran's dad carrying this important person back to one of the Westerner's house for treatment. Allen was on his way but the royal doctors? charged in with dark intentions (most likely.) Meanwhile Do Yang was aiming his sword at the old man who may be his dad or something. :lol: (Heck, I haven't even watched the subbed version for the other 2 eps yet.)

Yeah the rating is a damn shame. Oh well, it is after all a drama that I follow (which usually ends up to have rating problem.)

I like this scene.

Allen said something about doctors who hold out on treatment aren't real doctors.

0301c.jpg

Hang Jung feels like heaven. (If only he found Allen before his mom died.)

0302.jpg

Smile

0303z.jpg

"You have a nice bod."

0304n.jpg

"I know."

0305k.jpg

"I like you." (I square I heard the word like)

0306b.jpg

Apparently Hang Jung doesn't feel the same way.

0307tg.jpg

Only you

0308d.jpg

can make this world seem right

0309f.jpg

I think Park Yong Woo looks pretty hot in this outfit too. (I think I'm the only one here who think PYW is hot stuff anyways. :lol: The guy ain't no sparkling young lad but he's one versatile actor and is still hot from this perspective. :wub: )

0310n.jpg

Archived