[drama republic-04] beyond the dark

Guest MisterX

Guest hyunjee

Dear Mr X

I still can't believe it is really you posting these reviews and updates. What a treat...... and please don't do your disappearing act ever again.

Guest Jill4675

Hello, Soompidom.

Here you'll find an updated list of all the reviews (movies/dramas), previews and assorted features you will find on the main site.

It'll be updated every day (well... if there is the need for an update! :huh: ), so you can bookmark this and use it as a sort of RSS feed for the lazy. So you can all join me in Internet laziness and stuff. But I digress...

<_< Things are definitely looking up around here...I believe you are going to help level off some of the insanity that can prevail when maniacal fandom precludes any possibility of objective observation! thumbs-up.gif

Thread has been duly added to my Soompi bookmark collection... thankyou.gif

sunglasses2.gif

Guest dramaok

thank you it looks very nice. finally the mainsite is getting the makeover it really really needed.'

appreciate your hard work.

Guest sayroo

His Highness has lots in stored for us!

선덕여왕 madness as I can see.

And a preview for the He Who Cant Marry!

Thanks, X/아나키스트!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Mr. X for everything you've done...:wub:

Hope all goes well with your surgery, and that you have a speedy recovery (plenty of rest and pampering too!).

We'll be thinking of you.

Guest edmame

Hiya Mr. X, wishing you a breezy recovery from a loyal reader (Soompi must have a word-limit VAV twitch? either way you're getting huzzah what's the word...supremo!) Awaiting your return to enrich our intellectual life of K-pop and -past (and yes, maybe some of that grump, too :D )

Guest MisterBarca

I love it! "아나키스트" is the perfect critic: He is exceedingly erudite, with an uncanny, discerning eye, rounded off by a endearing, curmudgeonly, yet droll writing style.

Some lovely highlights from episodes 3-4 review:

"As remarkable a performance as Go Hyun-Jung is giving, those are not shades of grey, but pitch black acted with so much panache and bravado that you feel the pulsating human being beyond the enchantress mask anyway."

"So if Choi is a sort of Scriptos Erectus in a writer's evolution, Kim is already somewhere along the lines of Scriptos Sapiens, a writer who can think. But sageuk is a grumpy, demanding beast, and so are its purveyors. Hence, the warts inevitably show, and they tend to emanate quite the stench."

And when I saw this reference:

"Take, for instance, the Roman merchant who befriends Deokman at the Taklamakan trading post: he dresses, looks and even reads -- notice Plutarch's βιοι παραλλελοι (Parallel Lives)..."

I was overcome with ἔρως! :lol:

Guest themilo

Mr X..lots of pray for your speedy recovery after the surgery...god bless you always

... will miss you much...

Guest MisterBarca

아나키스트,

I have a quick question. You emphasize in your review of "왕과 비" that much of the controversy regarding the drama is due to the fact that it overturns well-guarded historical orthodoxies. That is, it portrays 이유 in a positive light and conversely 사육신 in a more ambiguous light.

But wasn't the first revisionist sa-geuk on the topic actually "설중매" from the early or mid-80s? I am old enough to have actually watched it as it aired, and I recall that it caused a firestorm of controversy perhaps unseen about any sa-geuk that I recall.

By the way, the cast is absolutely nuts!

A veritable murderer's row.

Guest Jill4675

Hope you have a speedy and successful recovery from your surgery. You'll be sorely missed while you're gone! <_<

sunglasses2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Mister X,

Glad that your surgery went ok.

I really DO love read your reviews and previews of a drama. Being a really brilliant and senior in K dramas, your insight was the most powerful, insightful and objective for lots of us.

Take care and have a rest. Don't worry about the reviews here. We can wait. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest bshater1

Welcome back X! I hope everything is okay on your end after the surgery. I can't wait for the remaining subtitles for Conspiracy, but do take it easy.

Archived