korean stars who speak english

Guest rockstaridol

Guest Tommygurluhm

-I don't know her name but if anyone saw Queen of the Game, the second leading actress speaks really well. The two main characters spoke a little.

-I saw on Star Golden Bell that a couple of the girls from the group, KARA speaks english well. If i'm not mistaken, one of the girl's named Nicole (i think) lived in America. The other girl, i don'tk now her name.

-Stephanie from the group CSJH

-Ryu Soo Young, i saw him in an old drama. He spoke it, but he still has a heavy accent.

-I think Park Kyung Lim speaks it pretty well. I saw her on the High Five varitey show. She spoke the most English out of all the girls there.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ash_0621

^

i agree

RyeoWon speaks perfect english ^^

ummm have .. Micky(TVXQ) - Brian(fly to) - Eric+Andy(Shinhwa)

Hi!! I'm just lurking around this thread when I read about Jung Ryeo Won's weird English or something..

I think and believe 101% that her English is perfect and her accent is great. B) I'm nonKorean, so when I watched MNIKSS and heard them speaking in English, it was such a great relief for me. She speaks very well along with Daniel Henney (of course, he's a Korean-American)!! She doesn't have any Korean accent at all, unlike Hyun Bin... When he spoke in English, I thought he was still saying Korean words!! :blink: Hehehe!!

wonder have anyone mention her but han chae young (delightful girl chun hyung, only you) is good.

was watching the season 1 of love letter she speak quite fluent and accent english.

I've watched Exhibition of Fireworks. When she spoke to a foreigner in the shop, her English accent is great!! B)

English has always been our second language and the medium of instruction in our schools, so we've learned the language from primary school to college but our native language is a mixed of Asian and European languages (esp. Spanish). Just getting a crash course in English is not enough. If you really want to communicate in English with other people on the conversational level, you must use the language in your everyday life and interact with English-speaking individuals. hehehe!! :D

Guest ahza911

Brian and Tim speak very fluent English since both of them were raised in US. I think Tim is from Philly and Brian is from Jersey. Kim kibum (Super Junior) has quite good command of English as well since he graduated from Santa Monica High school. But I think Kibum is not that confident when he speaks in english.

Tablo (Epik high) speaks English fluently. He mentioned in Super Junior Full House that he's originated from US.But I'm not sure the exact location. Stephanie from CSJH can speak English well too. Even her audition was in LA (if I'm not mistaken)...

Daniel Henny and Dennis Oh are both from US and actually, they are taking Korean lesson and their Korean are'nt that good.

I think Eric and Andy (Shinhwa) can speak English too considering both of them completed their high school in US.

Guest marg918

I heard Andy talked in a show and my observation is he can speak english but not fluently.

He speaks with a heavy accent.

Han Ye-seul of Couple of Fantasy can definitely converse in english because I heard she was raised in the states.

Kim Min was sooooo good in LSIH. It was really great hearing her, especially since the two lead guys were terrible. Kim Raewon especially--top student supposedly, but darn!!

Kim Taehee... she had an accent, but she sounded really adorable speaking English in LSIH. ^^; Of course, it's unbelievable that she has stayed in the US for a long time and still hadn't picked up the local accent, but heck, she sounded alright anyway. I think she can probably understand English given her educational background.

Kim Jeonghoon's English in Goong sounded cute too. XD I don't know if it was because of that quiet voice of his, but I thought he sounded rather soothing.

Micky, much as I love him, made me cry with his English. When I learned he attended middle school in the US I was ecstatic, but when I heard him try to speak English--ugh!! T_____T I was so disappointed!

I'm interested in knowing who learned it through study instead of being raised in an English-speaking country or spending their formative years there. That would really show dedication and discipline.

Guest shred

I'm not sure if this was already posted but i remember someone wanting to hear Lee Da Hae speak English. So here are two clips from recent show of Sang Sang Plus featuring Lee Da Hae. She had a short conversation with one of the host in English. I must say her aussie accent is really cute! :blush: :blush:

... and the beginning of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vcNeJwd1S8

Enjoy!

thanks for sharing the clip. her accent is cute!

micky - i think he understands it and can speak it but not fluently. he said it himself in an interview that he's starting to forget english - and i read one of his [written] english message for his fans. it was very fobby ... but cute :lol:

Guest bliss_

wonder have anyone mention her but han chae young (delightful girl chun hyung, only you) is good.

was watching the season 1 of love letter she speak quite fluent and accent english.

Do you have some clip? I wanna hear her speak English. :sweatingbullets:

Guest babyelphy

I'm not sure if this was already posted but i remember someone wanting to hear Lee Da Hae speak English. So here are two clips from recent show of Sang Sang Plus featuring Lee Da Hae. She had a short conversation with one of the host in English. I must say her aussie accent is really cute! :blush: :blush:

It starts around ~8:35 for this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT1L2g98GRA

... and the beginning of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vcNeJwd1S8

Enjoy!

Thanks for this clip! Yeah, LDH can pronounce the English words clearly and her accent is really cute. [Can you tell I'm a big fan? hehehe] Now, if only someone can translate the whole episode on Sang Sang Plus, that'd be super!

In defense of the other Korean actors who briefly stayed abroad, I must say, even other Koreans who have stayed abroad for a long time still find it hard to speak English fluently. I live in Los Angeles and I stayed in Koreatown for a good 5 years and there are Koreans who have lived there for 20+ years and still their grasp of the English language (spoken and written) is very elementary. I worked for a Korean boss who migrated here sometime in the '70s and his English is atrocious. He explained to me that since his business dealings are only with fellow Koreans he did not find the need to learn and improve his English (his bank is Korean, his customers are all Koreans, his vendors are Koreans as well, his accountant is Korean, he goes to a Korean market, etc.)

Guest bliss_

Thanks for this clip! Yeah, LDH can pronounce the English words clearly and her accent is really cute. [Can you tell I'm a big fan? hehehe] Now, if only someone can translate the whole episode on Sang Sang Plus, that'd be super!

I'm a big fan of Lee Da Hae, too! I didn't know she use to live in Australia so I was really happy when I found out that she can actually speak English. Aussie accent + LDH = uber cute! I'd really love to watch SSP subbed too.

And I think it's Episode 21 of Love Letter Season 1 where you can hear Han Chae Young (Delighful Girl Chun Hyang) speak English, if I'm not mistaken. Her accent is pretty good actually. Now does anyone know how long she has lived in the U.S.?

^^ Lee Da Hae was so cute when she spoke english(I'm a big fan too).. I know another clip wherein she spoke english while talking with somebody on the phone and I say she's really good..

Jung Ryeo Won also speaks perfect english.. :D

Guest valenti

Jeong Ryeo Won, Daniel Henney & Eric Mun.

Jeong Ryeo Won grew up in Australia that's why she's good in speaking english.

i think Eric Moon grew up in US.

Guest valenti

i have to add Brian of Fly to the Sky. he grew up in New Jersey that's why he's like a native speaker of English :D

• 5 months later...
Guest bethieboo1688

ooh...

daniel henney obviously (does he really count?)

shinhwa's : andy lee (his voice changes when he speaks english, it's really cool), eric, hyesung, i think minwoo is ok as well (oh... dongwan oppa and junjin oppa... gotta work harder on your english so i can understand you)

dbsk's mickey yoochun is ok...

sung si kyung (he is really good and he worked really hard. i'm glad for him)

suju's: kim kibum

tim

brian from fly to the sky (does he really count?)

i know there's more, but i can't remember as of right now

Guest fivemagic

Actors

Lee Byung Hun

Lee Jung Jae

HELLO RUBIE,

I CAN UNDERSTAND LEE BYUNG HUN, BUT LEE JUNG JAE, CAN HE SPEAK ENGLISH? I HAVE NEVER HEARD HIM SPEAKING ENGLISH BEFORE.

Guest mishybear

jung ryeo won has sort of an australian accent.

becuase she lived/studied in australia i think.

park kyung lim can speak it, although it's not perfect.. because she studied in US for a bit.

i heard tablo was an english major somewhere in the states, forget where. and if you hear him speak, it's totally fluent.

mickey yoo chun (i think) or one of the dbsk members came from the states, but i don't know how good his enlighs is, cuz i haven't heard him.

oh, kim jong kook is studying english a lot right now while he's in the military service.... but i don't know how good he is. news articles said he's able to converse.

i'm tring to think of more that haven't been mentioned.... but nobody seems to come to mind...

HELLO RUBIE,

I CAN UNDERSTAND LEE BYUNG HUN, BUT LEE JUNG JAE, CAN HE SPEAK ENGLISH? I HAVE NEVER HEARD HIM SPEAKING ENGLISH BEFORE.

Hi. I haven't seen Typhoon but those who did.. mentioned that LJJ speaks good English in the movie and a (soompi) friend saw him at Typhoon promo event in the US last year. He gets along and speaks English with the fans quite well.

I think he speaks some English in the Dogma Interview (movie) as well.. or was it French?

Anyone know better, feel free to clarify this.

Archived