Did You Know They're Also Asian? Do They Look Asian?

Guest IwishIwasKOREAN

That's so crazy and interesting! I never knew any of those people were Asian (except a few). That's pretty cool. Some of them don't even look Asian to me.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest k r e m e s

I understand what you guys are saying, and you both make good points.

Ce’nedra: Normally, I would call the celebrities listed as mixed as well, but my issue is the controversy over calling them Asian. The people in this thread are not saying that they’re only Asian, they’re just calling attention to their Asian blood since they do not appear to have any. I'm simply saying calling these celebrities Asian is really that big of a deal because it depends on the individual of what they consider an Asian person. We have few Asian celebrities overseas so I can absolutely understand the pride that some Soompiers have when they discover that the celebrities they recognize (especially in American entertainment industry) have Asian descent.

Nana: I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. You are right that these celebrities are mixed and are not only Asian, but we can already tell that Tiger Woods has African American blood in him & Mark Paul Gosselaar has Caucasian blood, so it’s not entirely necessary to point that out. The thread starter wants to emphasize that they have Asian blood too, and the term “mixed” is too general and misses the point the thread starter is trying to make. I mentioned Obama and Cecilia because generally people don’t refer to Obama or Cecilia as “mixed”, only as African American and Asian, but very few have problems with that. Obama has as much African American descent as maybe half of those listed here have of Asian descent.

Guest IwishIwasKOREAN

I get what this thread is for. Asians you wouldn't think are Asian

As someone mentioned, Ken Hirai would definitely go under this. Full Japanese but you would think he'd be mixed at the very least.

topphoto.jpg

His ancestry is probably more native Japanese or something which gives him his unconventional looks. I'll look it up later.

Aish, why is everyone hating on this thread? I have to admit it's super hard to find people that fit under this category though.

Imboredthatsnotfun: Would you rather Asians being called 'yellow'? That's the only colour I can think of associated with them. ^^;

oh wow! You totally went to the next level! ;)

Guest system_chaos

I'll remove Michelle Branch since it stresses you out.

That tickled my funny bone. :'D

Thanks for this thread! I already knew of the ones who are Filipino and a few others, but that Saved by the Bell guy? WOW. Does not look Asia for me at all. =))

Guest Imboredthatsnotfun

Imboredthatsnotfun: Would you rather Asians being called 'yellow'? That's the only colour I can think of associated with them. ^^;

Haha xD Yeah, that seems about right.

Guest Ce'nedra

I understand what you guys are saying, and you both make good points.

Ce’nedra: Normally, I would call the celebrities listed as mixed as well, but my issue is the controversy over calling them Asian. The people in this thread are not saying that they’re only Asian, they’re just calling attention to their Asian blood since they do not appear to have any. I'm simply saying calling these celebrities Asian is really that big of a deal because it depends on the individual of what they consider an Asian person. We have few Asian celebrities overseas so I can absolutely understand the pride that some Soompiers have when they discover that the celebrities they recognize (especially in American entertainment industry) have Asian descent.

Nana: I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. You are right that these celebrities are mixed and are not only Asian, but we can already tell that Tiger Woods has African American blood in him & Mark Paul Gosselaar has Caucasian blood, so it’s not entirely necessary to point that out. The thread starter wants to emphasize that they have Asian blood too, and the term “mixed” is too general and misses the point the thread starter is trying to make. I mentioned Obama and Cecilia because generally people don’t refer to Obama or Cecilia as “mixed”, only as African American and Asian, but very few have problems with that. Obama has as much African American descent as maybe half of those listed here have of Asian descent.

In that case, I agree with you :)

I think the reason why me and a few others seem like we're jumping onto such a trivial matter (considering it's simply a fun thread online) is the fact that soompi is known to be quite a 'Eurasian-obsessed' forum and you can see the tip of the iceberg emerging (not amongst everyone, but some). Still, I don't think there's much to be proud about for someone like Kate Beckinsale if the reason for being proud is due to her distant Asian heritage. It would defeat the purpose because I'm sure Hollywood didn't recruit her because of that. I highly doubt she stands for anything Asian in Hollywood. A typical Asian girl/woman would not be able to relate to her as an Asian woman.

About Obama, I do think it's unfair that Obama is viewed upon only as a black man. Again, it goes back to the "one drop" rule and that's a very ignorant viewpoint. He is as much a white man as he is a black man (he is half half after all) but because of his colour, mainstream society won't see beyond that. On the flipside, I do get the feeling that Obama identifies himself as simply a black man (I could be wrong) so if he does, then I guess we should respect that.

And like I said already, Cecilia is technically mixed, but she is predominantly Chinese (75% ...I hate to write in percentages, doesn't feel right but whatever) so of course she'll be viewed as an Asian (I would think it's offensive if she WASN'T considered Asian by people). I think a more fitting example would be Michelle Reis who is as much white as she is Asian.

Anyway, I'm starting to sound VERY repetitive so I'll stop at that lol.

Guest Inverted

All of it was. Generally, the idea that people of different races are as different as cats and dogs. Something that doesn't go together. So "whites" put a claim on some people you feel they shouldn't put a claim on.

Like human beings are things.

Srsly, those nasty whites! :rolleyes:

Don't blame for me for the way that people actually do think of different races. Besides, you don't need to be an inanimate object to be claimed. If someone claims you as blood related is that offensive as well? :rolleyes:

Oh, I never said whites shouldn't claim or claim connection to people with distant Euro ancestry, just that if they do that what's the problem with non-whites do the same?

Guest SweetSerein

yeahhh..i can definitely see some asianness in them. <33 thats freakin awesome...but sadly some of them dont even claim it..but whatever. btw, i love Lyoto Machida. he's a pretty darn good MMA fighter!!! dennis kang is pretty hott too. too bad he didnt win his first debut fight on UFC.

Guest linting

THIS TOPIC IS SUPPOSED TO BE FOR NON-ASIAN LOOKING PEOPLE THAT HAVE ASIAN ANCESTRY.

*note that this forum is: OTHER CELEB PHOTOS.

A lot of people are simply just posting mixed Asian celebrities that are famed in Asia. Thing is, we all know they are already at least a bit Asian.

This thread is supposed to be kind of a shocking thread. Like: WOW. BRITNEY SPEARS IS 1/2 CHINESE? kind of thing.

Not like. Oh yeah, I know Daniel Henney is half Korean.

And I don't think it matters whether the people posted are like 1/24 Asian and don't look like it or something.

It's just cool to know that famed actresses like Kate Beckinsale has Asian roots too!

This was from page 3. Please read this guys.

Ken Hirai is already a well known celebrity that everyone knows is part Japanaese.

Guest ovaltinejenkins

lol fred armisen is funnaaay :D

i sure didn't know crystal kay was korean.

and i knew keanu had some type of asian in him.

wait, wait, wait? :blink:

i thought Keanu Reeves was part JAPANESE?

i remember hearing that from a small documentary about him?

and Vannessa Hudgens is part asian? i did not know that. she seriously

don't look it. more..."HISPANIC". man now im dissappointed lol ugh..

Guest LazyAzian

and Vannessa Hudgens is part asian? i did not know that. she seriously

don't look it. more..."HISPANIC". man now im dissappointed lol ugh..

Well Filipinos have the largest percentage of European breeds in Asia, something related to love making.

I NEVER KNEW TIGER WOODS WAS HALF INDONESIAN (O.O) ~

Guest iMMA D0Rk XD

Sir Ben Kingsley (½ Indian, ¼ English, ¼ Russian/German-Jewish, He's from Schindler's list and The Love Guru)

388px-Sir_Ben_Kingsley_by_David_Sha.jpg

Apolo Anton Ono — (½ Japanese, ½ Caucasian American)

apolo1.jpg

Jennifer Tilly — (½ Chinese-American, ½ Caucasian-American, She's from Seed of Chucky )

jennifer-tilly-018.jpg

Sean Paul — (¼ Portuguese, ¼ Sephardic Jewish, ¼ Afro-Caribbean, ¼ Chinese)

745209Sean_Paul_1.jpg

Guest iMMA D0Rk XD

David Silva — Spanish international footballer (Spanish, Korean)

43797.jpg

Carmit Bachar — singer (¼ Israeli, ¼ Indonesian, ¼ Dutch, ¼ Chinese, She was part of PCD)

wallpaper-carmit-bachar-pussycat-do.jpg

Sara Lumholdt — Swedish singer (½ Swedish, ¼ Turkish, and ¼ Filipino, She's from A*teens)

saraacx9.jpg

Max Minghella — English actor (½ Chinese, ½ English)

293787004_986d44dd41_o.jpg

Shannyn Sossamon — actress (⅛ Filipino, ⅛ Hawaiian, ⅛ English, ⅛ German, ¼ Dutch, ¼ Irish)

sossamon30.jpg

Eddie Van Halen — Guitarist for world famous rock band, Van Halen (½ Javanese Indonesian, ½ Dutch)

561px-Eddie_Van_Halen_1993.jpg

Archived