Did You Know They're Also Asian? Do They Look Asian?

Guest IwishIwasKOREAN

Guest doremii*

of course it'd be hard to tell since most of them are only 1/8 Asian or something-___-

I don't understand these threads..

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest two hearts collide

LOL.... these people are mixed, not "Asian" because mixed = Caucasian/Black/... + Asian so OF COURSE they won't look Asian. -____-"""

but they wouldnt look caucasian either because theyre mixed with asian...

too many people who pass as full caucasian in hollywood and in the modeling world are MIXED

rarely are they ever fully caucasian.

And what was stupid about it? It's true.

All of it was. Generally, the idea that people of different races are as different as cats and dogs. Something that doesn't go together. So "whites" put a claim on some people you feel they shouldn't put a claim on.

Like human beings are things.

Srsly, those nasty whites! :rolleyes:

Guest k r e m e s

I did know that a couple of them had some Asian descent, but for most of the people listed, the heritage is not obvious. I had no idea that Mark Paul Gosselaar was part Asian though. He is so gorgeous.

EDIT: Wow, how Soompi has changed. So much controversy over a rather innocuous thread. The topic starter was simply pointing out that certain mixed celebrities do not look mixed. Why the war over labels. People refer to President Obama as a black man and Cecilia Cheung as an Asian actress, but they're not fully that race, are they? In my opinion, if you have any Asian in you, then you're still Asian. If you only want to call them "mixed", then you're denying their heritage just because it doesn't meet up to your standards.

Guest Ce'nedra

In my opinion, if you have any Asian in you, then you're still Asian. If you only want to call them "mixed", then you're denying their heritage just because it doesn't meet up to your standards.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't necessarily agree with this statement. That's like the "one drop" rule.

Technically, nobody is 100% anything if they go back far enough (mixing had always been going on throughout history), however, I would not refer to somebody who is of 1/8 Asian descent and 7/8th Caucasian descent "Asian".

For eg, I may have an ancestor far back who is ____ and yes, I would acknowledge it is part of my ancestry, albeit minor, but I identify myself as my predominant makeup. Of course, identity is also a case of upbringing, which differs amongst everyone.

On the flipside, I do think it's also important to acknowledge your ethnic roots in all its entirety. Identity and background acknowledgement are 2 different things.

Btw, if Cecilia identifies herself as Chinese, why wouldn't that make sense considering she is predominantly so (3/4 if I remember correctly). This is NOT to say that mixed people should ignore their 'other' ethnicity though. Just that if it's a really small fraction (like 1/8), it's a bit silly for us to parade them about.

Oh yeah, the reason why some people have made not so complementary comments about this thread is because there have been a LARGE number of similar ones -seemingly emphasising Soompi's strange obsession with claiming anyone with even slight Asian ancestry as one of them and thus exploiting their craze over people with partially (or predominantly) Caucasian background. This may be looking too much into the situation but it seems to hold some truth for some people.

but they wouldnt look caucasian either because theyre mixed with asian...

No actually they would because their caucasian genes are stronger or more dominant thus they will look mostly caucasian (some even completely). Unless they're mixed 50/50 which is not the case with the majority of the examples here.

k r e m e s

Actually if u call them Asian are you not denying whatever other ethnicity they have? Someone who is mixed is BOTH thus saying they're mixed does not mean they're denying their heritage but embracing both. They're just sating a FACT. Obama and Cecilia are both bad examples because they are exactly half half (well Obama is Cecillia isn't THAT far off). To me they are both ethnicities and I don't consider either of them just one ethnicity but if they choose to identify more as one then I'll choose to accept that.

Like Ce'nedra was saying about the one drop rule. I'll take this a bit out of context now to get my point across easier. If you take one 8 oz glass of water and add a drop of Lemon Juice are you gonna consider it water or Lemonade? There's no denying that there's Lemon in the water but I wouldn't go as far as calling 8 oz of water and 1 drop of Lemon Lemonade. Actually you most likely won't even be able to see the drop of Lemon because in so much water it would be deluded to an almost invisible liquid.

It wouldn't be worth mentioning such a small percentage and calling them asian because that small percentage most likely was never a part of their everyday life or culture. It was never a part of their essence as it might be for someone who is 100% asian or even 50%. Unless that ethnicity is a part of your daily life it's somewhat unimportant especially in such small numbers... And agian like Ce'nedra said "Identity and background acknowledgement are 2 different things."

Guest nba3d

I'm picking the ones I listen to their music.

Anna Tsuchiya

Japanese mother & Russian-American father.

Anna.jpg

Olivia Lufkin

Ryukyuan mother & Norwegian-American father

pain26.jpg

Tasha Reid (T)

Korean mother & African American father

tasha.jpg

Ai Carina Uemura (AI)

Half-Japanese, half-Italian mother & Japanese father

177417.jpg

Guest JaeHoLove

You know, it actually depends how much Asian blood a person has, some looks really Asian while some looks really Caucasian, so you can't conclude anything...

Only if one of your parents is Asian and the other one is Caucasian, then maybe you'll look either very Asian or very Caucasian but if you only have like ancestors who are of different ethnicity, I don't think it shows on your look if both of your parents are caucasians..

Ahh, I talked retardedly right now LOL!! Ignore me

Guest linting

Naomi Campbell - 1/8 Chinese

Naomi_Campbell00.jpg

THIS TOPIC IS SUPPOSED TO BE FOR NON-ASIAN LOOKING PEOPLE THAT HAVE ASIAN ANCESTRY.

*note that this forum is: OTHER CELEB PHOTOS.

A lot of people are simply just posting mixed Asian celebrities that are famed in Asia. Thing is, we all know they are already at least a bit Asian.

This thread is supposed to be kind of a shocking thread. Like: WOW. BRITNEY SPEARS IS 1/2 CHINESE? kind of thing.

Not like. Oh yeah, I know Daniel Henney is half Korean.

And I don't think it matters whether the people posted are like 1/24 Asian and don't look like it or something.

It's just cool to know that famed actresses like Kate Beckinsale has Asian roots too!

Guest annameg

this is kinda lame.

when i read ASIAN, i thought something ATLEAST like half-asian half-something. so it would be godsmackingSHOCKING.

not one drop of asian blood and a helluva lot of others. =___=

OFCOURSE its not obvious. OFCOURSE alot of people are not gonna know because they would not care if alot of this celebrity's dad's wife's grandmother is part asian.

this thread is stressing alot of people out. lol

(pardon my rant.)

Guest IwishIwasKOREAN

when i read ASIAN, i thought something ATLEAST like half-asian.

Most of the people I posted are HALF.

I'll remove Michelle Branch since it stresses you out.

Archived