[2009 Spring Japan Drama] Boss

Guest luthien

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest luthien

^^Lilcrash, thanks for the goodies! that's one huge poster of the cast and I love it! :wub:

more from the official website:

boss5.pngboss6.png

I messed up the first post while organizing it. I didn't get to fix it until now. Sorry for being so late.. but it's fixed and I'll surely maintain it.

Haha. Nah, it's just someone who posted the relationship chart from an entertainment magazine's feature on the upcoming spring dramas. I'm suffering from a drama drought though I watched and aborted watching a handful. I hope spring will make up for it. And in case you were entertaining any hopes of romance, I think not. There were no hearts on any of the arrows in the relationship chart. But I must say, sometimes it's deliberate since it's meant to keep audiences guessing. If you have seen the body of work by the scriptwriter I think it's going to be all business.

They have traditionally done updates for the getsuku late and I'm not complaining since I don't care for Nakai. He's a terrible actor and he seems pretty unabashed about having made little effort to improve his repertoire. I shan't bash him further. All I can say is that I'd probably only watch Boss from Fuji TV.

The website for Konkatsu is up but Abe Hiroshi's Shiroi Haru still isn't <_<

Thanks for the info! So the rumour about Nakashima Mika was wrong!

The theme song is Best of My Life by Superfly and it will be released as a single on 13 May.

It's mainly the scriptwriter's previous works that crushed all my hopes for some sizzling romance. :sweatingbullets: from the list you posted, all are workplace-oriented dramas. It's his specialty, and I'm definitely gonna be caught off-guard if he suddenly touches on any intimate relationship among the characters. Maybe he doesn't dare to because that could be his weakness. I heard it was a miss in Big Money.

This might be my first Nakai drama. :D Lately I've been giving gekku a shot and sticking to it till the end. Abe's drama is another title I'm anticipating. It's Abe's reunion with screenwriter Ozaki Masaya, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko & At Home Dad were my favorite home dramas. Have you seen Abe in Tenchijin? I'm not used to taking him seriously but he has a very strong presence as Kenshin. I watched him in Yasha and Y o s h i t s u n e, but it doesn't come close to his serious role in Tenchijin. So I'm kinda looking forward if Shiroi Haru will be heavy drama instead of light-hearted one that's usually mixed with subtle humor just as his other home dramas.

Thanks for the clarification on the theme song.

Haha. Yes all the cliches we can count off our fingers when the drama airs in 3 weeks. :lol:

You only need to watch ep1 of Rikon Bengoshi I to see Yutaka. Yuki's on her own after that. He didn't get into trouble. He was being a knight in shining armour. The platonic sort though. Are you going to watch it? I don't think I should spoil it for you.

Come to think of it, doesn't the scripwriter always write about a group of people coming together and learning how to accept and bring out the best in everyone in the team? I didn't watch Code Blue but I think it's similar.

High ratings never mean dramas are good. I've long given up on that and just gone with stories that appeal to me. Although it's hard to imagine how shabbily Boss can do when there're a range of actors who will appeal to different generations of the audience.

Oh, thank goodness it was just a cameo instead of being kicked out. Production Team must have seen chemistry and sparks in his pairing with Amami that they wanted him to be part of this drama. Maybe those who've seen Rikon Bengoshi and liked seeing the two would be excited to see him being a permanent cast of another Amami drama. I'm gonna watch it when I find the DVD, I'm sure I downloaded it ages ago.

I think Iryu, both season 1 and 2, had a more powerful impact than Code Blue. I did enjoy CB but it didn't leave a strong impression on me. Like, I sorta forgot about it after finishing it.. then I wasn't really excited when the Special was released, so I kinda had to force myself several times to watch it, which I also enjoyed. They didn't delve too much on most of the characters there, though they did dedicate a full episode to show how they would mature more and eventually the team coming out stronger than before. Yamapi being a cool, arrogant and self-centered character but actually very soft inside...err... kinda reminds me of KimuTaku roles, but I didn't go into fangirling mode on Yamapi. CB had a good cast, especially name-wise, gathering the popular younger actor and actresses of this generation with established veterans in the industry.... but it wasn't enough. Still one thing I'm sure of, the writer and some casts did know how to suck tears out of me in certain episodes. How is this related to Boss? Production Team's talent and style mixed with even better casting, it's bound to raise hopes of any jdrama fans. Can I call it a "dream team" for this season?

When it comes to dramas, I really want to give each one a shot... I'd know by watching a few episodes if it's worthy to continue on or not. Synopsis usually don't appeal much to me. But I give more weight now on the production team as well as casting. Love Shuffle is a good example. It carries popular names for its cast, although I'm still iffy about certain acting there.. Fortunately the flow and style of the drama works for, surprisingly, the awkward-ness in some cast's acting... and it did work well. I was originally drawn to it because it's Nojima Shinji writing the script. And just as expected, it did not fail to disappoint.. made me laugh, cry, angry.. it was a touching piece... And the ratings is the total opposite of the quality of the drama.:angry: I hope this won't happen to Boss.

The Japanese haven't been big on dramas with lots of love in recent years. Those that do come out turn out quite half-baked I'd rather not have them. I'd just appreciate something less predictable and well acted without major plotholes or exasperating contrivances i.e. Tomorrow which a friend and I were laughing over the number of coincidences and the overwrought scenes with the intrumental background music to eke every emotion out of viewers.

This lousy relationship chart picture will have to suffice for now until we get a nice one on the official site:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/rav...Boss_TVnavi.jpg

hahaha... thanks for sharing the chart.

Did the Japanese just become more reserved in showing romance? When I first watched earlier romance dramas, I was surprised at how bold they can be.. but these days, you can hardly find them kissing. Maybe except teen romance dramas.. but errr... I'm looking for a more mature one. Lately they focus more on the emotional aspect, eg. Arifureta Kiseki.

I LOLed at your "eke every emotion".. I'm so disappointed that the cast's talent were underused. Even though I've watched her in a lot of dramas before, I started to love Kanno Miho in Our Notebook. It somewhat similar to what they were trying to do with Tomorrow... trying to fight against a bigger force, instead of a hospital it's the school. Our Notebook successfully managed to flesh out the characters, to show how human they are, how they are easily tempted to desires and how they are suppressed because of their weaknesses and unfavorable circumstances.

Thanks again for the translations on the interview! :D

Have dropped off the jdrama wagon for a while, but BOSS is a definite must-watch for me. Just the fact that Yutaka maybe playing a sexist pig. He's imo so oozing with some gorgeous animalistic sexiness that he had been downplaying for his acting almost all the time in order to break into 'serious acting' (except in his much earlier roles in Hoshi no Kinka or LV or Withlove...)

ROTFLMAO on "sexy pig" and "animalistic sexiness".

Guest ace4va111

this is really really interesting....the characters look like they're gonna kick a-- any moment...they look so cool...plus, the character analysis seems to make one want to watch their show...

Toda Erika looks effing hot in that orange dress. Smashing srsly. And even if there's no hope for romance, I'm cool with that. It sounds like an amazing cast, and Tetsuji always looks soooo hot in suits, so whatever works. :D

Guest luthien

New updates from the official site:

boss_cast.png

boss_character.png

boss_amami.png

boss_takenouchi.png

boss_toda.png

boss_mizobata.png

boss_kichise.png

boss_kobayashi.png

boss_nukumizu.png

boss-tamayama01.png

I'm loving the new photos released. Very attractive cast :wub:

most likely the descriptions that jade_frost has translated before

-edit-

Blog Update

2009 April 10

26140_pcl.jpg

2009 April 12

26538_pcl.jpg

26550_pcl.jpg

Guest jade_frost

I just got back from a long break. The poster for Boss in Japan is also the same as the one used for the official site. I'm not so sure if I should be reading more into all that posturing for the photography ... Anyway I'm gonna keep my expectations low for this drama simply because of the heaps of cliches maybe that way I'll be delightfully surprised. It would probably have been better if they kept the main cast smaller rather than have such a large ensemble which means dividing up what little screen time there is among so many people.

The character description for Yutaka's Shinjiro Nodate is more detailed in the official site and piques my interest in the kind of relationship that Shinjiro and Eriko share. It says that he understands Eriko well, supports her through her difficult period but there are rumours that he is flirting / dallying with her? There's nothing on Eriko's part to say what she feels towards him and we don't have all the usual lines connecting the folks like they usually do for relationship charts. Hmm ... That's an interesting angle isn't it? :D Given how he's supposed to be a ladies man, the question naturally will be: is she just one of the ladies that he hits on? Or is she a different, special someone. :lol:

Guest suzic87

Thanks for all the goodies luthien!!!

Some recent pictures

http://i40.tinypic.com/2hprryx.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/1z3qvcp.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/dyppx4.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2u4sak4.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2s8p9vo.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/vz8wg6.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2s8setd.jpg

Amami Yuki wearing all white and Takenouchi Yutaka wearing all black~

All the cast look happy! :)

Can't wait it starts tommorrow. BTW do you know which show this clip is from, I've always wanted to know cos new shows always go on it! xx

Guest luthien

Blog Update

April 15

27075_pcl.jpg

27071_pcl.jpg

April 14

26844_pcl.jpg

Thanks Lilcrash for all pictures and screencaps! :D Amami and Yutaka sure do match. Is it just me but his shirt inside look so "feminine"? Like he borrowed Amami's very loose black top. :sweatingbullets:

I'm curious if Tamayama's mustache and beard are real. I'm only in ep 8 of Tenchijin, and he has a very clean face there. Hmmm.. that means his role in Tenchijin is over already. :unsure: Hopefully they didn't kill him off there! :vicx:

The character description for Yutaka's Shinjiro Nodate is more detailed in the official site and piques my interest in the kind of relationship that Shinjiro and Eriko share. It says that he understands Eriko well, supports her through her difficult period but there are rumours that he is flirting / dallying with her? There's nothing on Eriko's part to say what she feels towards him and we don't have all the usual lines connecting the folks like they usually do for relationship charts. Hmm ... That's an interesting angle isn't it? :D Given how he's supposed to be a ladies man, the question naturally will be: is she just one of the ladies that he hits on? Or is she a different, special someone. :lol:

Usually, even if he's a player.. for his type of character, there is always a special someone. Since he supports Eriko well, maybe they have never taken a step further than just either being friends or casual intimacy. Even if they do try, I'd still bet that they won't progress anywhere in the end though. I'm more curious about that shot with Mizobata and Kichise. :D Are they making it look like he's interested in her? But she's too much for him to handle?

I've always wondered who Mizobata is. There were too many ikemen in HanaKimi that I never got a chance to notice him there... but then, I didn't even finish that drama.

Archived