Jang Dong Gun 장동건

Admin

Director Kang Je Gyu, JDG, FBB, and OJ answer questions on "My Way" during a press conference at CGV, Busan City

2011100801000632100054411.jpg

Credit for Sports.Chosun

2011100801000628800054091.jpg

Credit for Sports.Chosun

sjmao201110082034230.jpg

Credit Hankooki.com

She looks stunning as usual, and so classy!

sjmao201110082034233.jpg

Credit Hankooki.com

sjmao201110082034232.jpg

Credit Hankooki.com

Jang Dong Gun and Odagiri Joe drink together at BIFF

by MrTuxedo

On October 6th, the night of the 16th Busan International Film Festival (BIFF), actor Jang Dong Gun and Japanese actor Odagiri Joe enjoyed a night of drinking at a local stall in Haeundae, Busan.

The two actors seem to have bonded closely as they filmed their upcoming, war blockbuster, “My Way” directed by Kang Je Gyu. The film has already attracted international press as the movie features not only Jang Dong Gun, but Odagiri Joe (Japan) and Chinese actress, Fan Bingbing.

It has been a while since Jang Dong Gun met Odagiri as their last meeting was in Latvia where they filmed their final scene for the movie. The two looked extremely joyful as they sat down while drinking soju. Director Kang Je Gyu and several other staff members from the movie were also present along with the two actors.

Fans and nearby residents were shocked to see world stars sitting casually sitting in an open area and flocked toward the stall. It was reported that a handful of bodyguards were present at the scene to protect the actors as they enjoyed the moment.

The two stars will be attending a press conference for their movie on the 8th at Busan’s major multi-project urban development, Centum City.

The film seems to be done on a large scale as it’s production cost was around 30 million USD. Check out the trailer for the movie below!

Source: AllKpop

Fan Bingbing promotes her film 'My Way'

00114320ca550ffb3c2f05.jpg

Fan Bingbing on the poster of the movie, "My Way." [Photo: douban.com]

Chinese actress Fan Bingbing said Saturday she enjoyed working with a dazzling multinational cast including two of Asia's most famous stars, Jang Dong-gun of South Korea and Joe Odagiri of Japan, while filming their upcoming movie, "My Way".

"It was such a pleasant experience for me to make a film with the two wonderful actors," Fan told at a press conference attended by hundreds of journalists.

She visited the Busan International Film Festival to promote her new films, "My Way" and "Yang Gui Fei," both directed by South Korean prominent filmmakers.

"My Way" is a war blockbuster made by Kang Je-kyu, and some 28 billion won (23.9 million U.S. dollars) was invested into the production of the movie.

The movie heralds a comeback of the director after he made " Taegukgi" seven years ago. "Taegukgi," which depicted the horrors of the Korean War in a touching family drama, attracted over 12 million viewers to the local box office.

"My Way" centers around two men set in the Battle of Normandy during World War II. Even though it's a war film, the movie mainly portrays a drama of true humanity that transcends border and nationality.

Fan plays a Chinese woman with astonishing sniper skills, who seeks revenge for the Japanese army's murder of her family.

The actress said her two co-stars gave her motivation and strength to overcome hardships she faced while working on the film.

"I was full of fear at first because there were many battle and firing scenes. But after I saw how strenuously the two actors worked, I thought that I should not be afraid," said Fan.

The movie is set for release at the end of this year in South Korea, and January 14 next year in January, and sometime in January in China and the United States.

Source: China.org.cn

Jang Dong Gun and Odagiri Joe drink together at BIFF

by MrTuxedo

On October 6th, the night of the 16th Busan International Film Festival (BIFF), actor Jang Dong Gun and Japanese actor Odagiri Joe enjoyed a night of drinking at a local stall in Haeundae, Busan.

The two actors seem to have bonded closely as they filmed their upcoming, war blockbuster, “My Way” directed by Kang Je Gyu. The film has already attracted international press as the movie features not only Jang Dong Gun, but Odagiri Joe (Japan) and Chinese actress, Fan Bingbing.

It has been a while since Jang Dong Gun met Odagiri as their last meeting was in Latvia where they filmed their final scene for the movie. The two looked extremely joyful as they sat down while drinking soju. Director Kang Je Gyu and several other staff members from the movie were also present along with the two actors.

Fans and nearby residents were shocked to see world stars sitting casually sitting in an open area and flocked toward the stall. It was reported that a handful of bodyguards were present at the scene to protect the actors as they enjoyed the moment.

The two stars will be attending a press conference for their movie on the 8th at Busan’s major multi-project urban development, Centum City.

The film seems to be done on a large scale as it’s production cost was around 30 million USD. Check out the trailer for the movie below!

Source: AllKpop

Hi potato, thanks for posting this. I'm sure they're speaking in English when they are together, huh? JDG is still looking awesomely hot at his age! He's also a superb actor who always challenges himself with new characters. :lol:

Hi potato, thanks for posting this. I'm sure they're speaking in English when they are together, huh? JDG is still looking awesomely hot at his age! He's also a superb actor who always challenges himself with new characters. :lol:

Yes, I think so. Odagiri Joe studied in the United States and Director Kang Je Gyu lived in the US as well.

I really like Odagiri Joe’s fashion taste. It's not usual to see two men walking in the red carpet together, and it would be bored if they were wearing the similar outfits. I found JDG and JO styles are perfectly matched and complement each other.

Actors Jang Dong-gun and Odagiri Joe in an Open talk held at outdoor stage in Haeundae Beach, Busan.

JO fashion is cool.

20111010_1318218153_51375200_1.jpg

They're so at ease with each other.

201110100947271003_1.jpg

40964327.2.jpg

Enjoy their bromance ship !

20111009_1318167704.jpg

40964478.4.jpg

20111009212339259.jpg

20111009_1318162641.jpg

All Credit for Nate.com and as Tagged

Top actors JANG Dong-gun, Hyun Bin and Shin min Ah set to run in marathons

Don't be surprised, this title is very eye catching, but it's just a copy of “Jang Dong-gun and Bae Doona set to star in major foreign films”, which is a very misleading title, though, ;) But it's true that all three actors of AM Entertainment recently have been attending events involving marathon : Shin min ah for the Pink Ribbon, Hyun Bin for the Marine, and Jang Dong gun with the character in “My way”! What a very cool coincidence!

Shin Min ah attends the '2011 Pink Ribbon Love Marathon.

4d97e8425b2fc5c7a9aa569ca29cdc30.jpg

Credit: Hankyung.com

Hyun Bin participated in the 3rd Seoul Reclamation Anniversary Marine Marathon Competition

97567_87249_573.jpg

Credit: Mediatoday

And Jang Dong Gun dreams of becoming an Olympic marathon in “My way”

201109201056778038_1.jpg

Credit: Osen

*** It's nice to see most celebrities able to just hang and have a drink with each other. Lucky people who were there as well. These stars are really cool And it's the place that is unusual. :lol:

Top stars spotted hanging out together after the ’16th BIFF’

On October 12th, SBS‘s ‘One Night in TV Entertainment‘ broadcasted footage of a bevy of stars meeting up and gathering together at the ‘16th Busan International Film Festival‘!

There’s a popular little town for ‘pojangmachas‘ (little street stand walk-ins) in Haewundo that even the stars can’t seem to get enough of. Jang Dong Gun and Odagiri Joe made headlines after meeting up for a round of drinks, but they weren’t the only stars sighted in the area.

The cameras of ‘One Night in TV Entertainment’ were able to catch sightings of Go Soo, Rain, Kim Sun Ah, and Jang Geun Suk sharing drinks.

Rain commented, “I met up with other actors for the first time in a while and spent some quality time with them.”

Other stars included Song Hye Gyo, Yoo Ji Tae, Ji Sung, Mun Chae Won, and Yoo In Na.

201110122121591001_1.jpg

Source + Photos: Newsen via Nate / allkpop

• 3 weeks later...
Guest iluvugudbye

[News]Jang Dong Gun, Won Bin to return to the small screen?

jang-dong-gun-won-bin.jpg

[News]Jang Dong Gun, Won Bin to return to the small screen?

Cr.- allkpop+OSEN

Could the Korean drama industry soon see the return of sky-high stars Jang Dong Gun and Won Bin to the small screen? If everything goes well, the answer may be yes.

Jang Dong Gun, whose latest telvision outing was found more than 10 years ago in ‘All About Eve‘, is currently receiving love calls from none other than writer Kim Eun Sook, the mastermind behind ‘Secret Garden‘. “It is true that we have received a contract proposal from Kim Eun Sook regarding her next project,” revealed a representative for the Hallyu actor. “Nothing is decided yet, but it is under review.”

In the case of Won Bin, who last appeared on television with the 2002 drama ‘Friends‘, he is currently weighing an offer for a project called ‘The King‘ from ’Beethoven Virus’ director Lee Jae Kyu. The drama, which will be about an arranged marriage between the North and the South, is scheduled to air on MBC early next year, with or without Won Bin.

• 2 weeks later...

K O R E A Magazine

November 2011 Vol. 8 No. II (related excerpt only)

korea_1.jpg

Korean cineastes expanding their horizons

by Lee Hyo-won Korea MAgazine

As Korean cinema continues to enjoy growing attention in the international film festival circuit, local directors and actors are expanding their horizons by partaking in various US and Chinese productions and other cross-border collaborations.

KOREA_mag1.jpg

director Kim Ji-woon’s ouevre includes I Saw the Devil; from left to right: Bae Doo-na will appear in Cloud Atlas; director Bong Joon-ho; Song Hye-kyo will appear in Wong Karwai’s latest; actor Lee Byung-hun

Cult favorite Park Chan-wook made a name for himself with The Vengeance Trilogy and his international reputation has led to his big Hollywood debut, Stoker. Based on a screenplay by Prison Break star Wentworth Miller, the film made headlines for its star-studded cast. Mia Wasikowska (Jane Eyre) plays a teenage girl who must deal with the sudden arrival of her mysterious uncle (Matthew Goode) while mourning the death of her father. Nicole Kidman appears as the emotionally unstable mother in the psychological thriller. The film, set for release next year, is in production in Nashville, Tennessee.

Meanwhile Park’s Oldboy is being remade into an English-lanugage version by renowned American director Spike Lee. Josh Brolin is set to play the lead male role (originally played by Choi Minsik) opposite actress Rooney Mara (who replaces Kang Hye-jung). In addition, Park is producing Bong Joon-ho’s first English language film, Snow Piercer.

Bong, who directed the highest grossing Korean film in history The Host, further rose to international prominence with the 2009 crime drama Mother. After serving as head of jury for Cannes Film Festival’s Camera d’Or section in May, he has been working on his new film which is based on the French graphic novel Le Transperceneige.

The film is about a group of people on a train without a final destination, struggling to survive in a post-apocalyptic ice age. Song Kang-ho is the only Korean actor cast in the film. “I’m focusing on this new challenge involving the English language, a 30 billion won-plus budget and high technology,” Bong said during the 16th Busan International Film Festival. The US$34 million sci-fi film is set to go into production in Prague in March.

Bae Doo-na, who had been part of the main cast of Bong’s The Host, is also making her way into Tinseltown. She follows in the footsteps of pop star Rain by taking part in the Wachowski brothers’ latest project Cloud Atlas. The actress, who made her debut in the critically acclaimed Japanese film Air Doll, will co-star with Tom Hanks, Susan Sarandon, Hugh Grant and Halle Barry. The film interweaves various anecdotes, with Bae starring as a clone in a plot set in Seoul in the year 2144. The US$140 million project is currently is slated for a fall 2012 release.

Meanwhile, I Saw the Devil helmer Kim Ji-woon is making his US film debut. Kim is also known for the so-called kimchi Western The Good, the Bad, the Weird and is expected to showcase more action in the upcoming project The Last Stand. Arnold Schwarzenegger makes his big screen comeback in the film as the sheriff of a sleepy town. He runs up against an escaped drug cartel leader (Spanish actor Eduardo Noriega) heading for the Mexican border. Rodrigo Santoro, Jaimie Alexander, Peter Stormare and Zach Gilford co-star in the film, which is being produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura. Lionsgate has worldwide distribution rights on The Last Stand, which has started production in New Mexico and is to hit theaters in 2013.

Lee Byung-hun will also be taking part in an action-packed American film. The actor made his Hollywood debut in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and will reprise his role as the villainous Storm Shadow in the second installment of the franchise.

Korean filmmakers are making their way into China, the world’s fastest growing film market. Kwak Jae-yong, best known for directing the international hit romantic comedy My Sassy Girl, was approached by China Film Group chairman Han Sanping for Yang Guifei. The upcoming film is about the eponymous Chinese royal consort known for her legendary beauty. The Korea-China-Japan co-production stars the neighboring Asian country’s top actress Fan Bingbing. It starts production in Korea in November and will wrap in February for a later 2012 release.

Fan has also been making headlines for co-starring with Jang Dong-gun in a panAsian film project. Jang, who has debuted in the US and China, is set to appear in the Korea-China-Japan co-production piece My Way. The film, directed by Taegukgi director Kang Je-gyu, is a World War II drama that will be released next year in Korea, Japan, China and the US.

Meanwhile, Jang will be working with Cecilia Cheung for Hur Jin-ho’s Dangerous Liaisons. The Korea-China joint project takes the 18th-century French novel to 1930s Shanghai, and the love triangle story includes Chinese screen beauty Zhang Ziyi. The film is slated to open in 2012.

Meanwhile, actress Song Hye-kyo will appear in a film by Hong Kong arthouse master director Wong Kar-wai. The Grandmasters is about Bruce Lee’s kung fu master and co-stars top Chinese actors Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Chang Chen. It is also slated for a 2012 release.

08 | korea | november 2011 © Yonhap News Agency www.korea.net

A new troika to follow Jang Dong-gun, Jeong Woo-seong and Lee Jeong-jae?

201111140805774049_1.jpg

Jang Geun-seok, Song Joong-ki and Yoo Ah-in receive attention as the new troika in Chungmuro.

Jang Dong-gun, Jeong Woo-seong and Lee Jeong-jae are well known as the 1990s troika. They were popular not only for dramas, but also movies, and now it seems like three new actors will carry on the tradition.

In Chungmuro there was a lack of outstanding actors in their young 20s, but these days Jang Geun-seok, Song Joong-ki and Yoo Ah-in stand out.

Even after rapidly becoming a Hallyu star, Jang Geun-seok was number one on the list to cast for dramas and movies. Having been in movies like "Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si Do" and "The Case of Itaewon Homicide" Jang Geun-seok doesn't have a prominent role in Chungmuro but his steady acting has always been a merit. He is now active with the movie "You Pet" with Kim Ha-neul.

Song Joong-ki and Yoo Ah-in have become youth stars after starring in the KBS 2TV drama "Sungkyunkwan Scandal". They were in the same drama together.

Song Joong-ki is currently expanding his spectrum through various roles with his straight and proper image. Without concern for those typical roles, his latest attempt can be seen in the drama "Deep-rooted Tree" and the movie "Penny Pinchers".

Yoo Ah-in is standing out for his rebellious look yet firm acting skills. Having starred in movies like "Antique" and "Sky and Sea", his recent role in the movie "Punch" with Kim Yoon-seok has earned him good points with movie lovers.

About this, Song Joong-ki said, "It's nice that actors of a similar age are at the center of attention and that we are all getting steady work. I hope we continue like this as friends and co-workers and not as rivals. I think we will all last long in this business like Jang Dong-gun, Lee Jeong-jae and Jeong Woo-seong. Some say this is a 'challenge between rivals' but I don't think so. We are actors who will live on". About Yoo Ah-in, he said, "I am so happy that the four main actors from "Sungkyunkwan Scandal" turned out to be so successful. Yoo Ah-in is especially in the highlight these days and I am sincerely supporting him. I envy him but I'm not jealous. He acts well and is one of the most sincere actors I know at this age. He thinks too much about acting and I admire that".

Source : news.nate.com/view/20... ( Korean )

Translation : Hancinema

Looking really good in Nov 2011 issue of Arena Homme+

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

*quoted image*

Hi celest1al', thanks for posting this Arena magazine where he's the cover. He looks so cool! I noticed most of the mags right now is JDG's face.................hehehe - Here's the other one where he's also the cover.but this time it's a Japan magazine............... :lol:

Handsome actors Jang Dong Gun and Odagiri Joe cover the first page of Japanese GQ Magazine

movie1-496x1024.jpg

The main actors Jang Dong Gun and Odagiri Joe who starred in the movie My Way, are featured in the January edition of Japanese GQ Magazine .

The front page of GQ is attracting attention of both men and women because the handsome looking actors that represent Korea and Japan appeared.

Unlike Jang who reveals gentle charisma, Odagiri Joe gives a strong impression with his short hair. They seem to be contrary to each other but they resemble each other at a casual glance.

Their burning eyes seemed to represent the two characters that they played in My Way, who appeared as enemies.

Kang Jae Gyu director who came back after a seven year hiatus, is working on My Way with many talented actors: Jang Dong Gun, Odagiri Joe, and Fan Bing Bing who represent Korea, Japan, and China. The movie will premiere at the end of December.

Source: TV Report / korea.com

Movie My Way’s Japanese poster: Odagiri Joe before Jang Dong Gun

446.jpg

My Way, a movie directed by Kang Jae Gyu and produced by joint production between Korea, China, and Japan, is released in Korea in December. With its release date confirmed as December 22, it is considered to be released on December 21, a day earlier, after watching the situation for distribution.

For this thirty-five-billion-won blockbuster film, there’s already intense promotion going on. There still is more than a month left until it is released in Korea, but the promotion has already been started with a large number of advertisements such as banner advertisements on major portal websites. Japan, as well, started promoting the film although its release date is January 14 next year.

My Way is a movie about a friendship between a Korean man and a Japanese man who have competed against each other as marathon players in the period of Japanese occupancy but build their friendship while battling against the German and the Russian after being drafted into the Japanese army. Starring Jang Dong Gun from Korea, Odagiri Joe from Japan, and Fan Bing Bing from China, it is released in all three countries – Korea, Japan, and China. The release date in China hasn’t been confirmed yet, but there seems to be no problem in the release because Chinese top star Fan Bing Bing invested in this film.

530.jpg

Korea and Japan are understandably promoting the film depending on their own sentiment. In the meantime, there has been a controversy over marking East Sea as Japan Sea.

The movie posters of Korea and Japan are also different. The Korean teaser poster shows Jang and Odagiri staring toward the front side of the poster walking with other soldiers. Of course Jang is on the left with its focus on him.

On the other hand, the Japanese poster focuses on Odagiri. There are both Odagiri and Jang’s faces, but Odagiri’s face is on the left side in the bigger size.

While Korea and Japan are battling for My Way, which each country’s pride is on, it is attracting attention to how it is going to turn out at the box office in both countries.

Source: Starnews / korea.com

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kdramafanusa

http://koreajoongang...spx?aid=2945644

Director Kang Je-kyu returns with war docudrama ‘My Way’

‘One thing I can tell you is I gave my all in each of the 5,400 takes.’ - Kang Je-kyu

Dec 16,2011

15212652.jpg

Kang  Je-kyu returns to the director’s chair with “My Way,” which opens next  week. It’s his second war film after “Taegukgi: Brotherhood of War”  (2004). [YONHAP]

Filmmaker Kang Je-kyu publicly  told the media that he wouldn’t make a war film again after he finished  the 2004 hit “Taegukgi: Brotherhood of War.” But Kang changed his mind  and returns to the director’s chair with another war film, “My Way,”  which has a much larger budget of 28 billion won ($24.3 million), the  highest in Korean film history, and far more crew members at about 170.

“It’s  very hard to make this type of genre film,” Kang told the media on  Tuesday when asked what made him decide to do another war film. Since  “Taegukgi,” Kang has mainly worked as a producer.

“It [war film]  tortures you physically and mentally. You need to recreate the past  without distorting it. In addition to that, it’s depressing to make  [tragic war stories] into films.”

The idea for “My Way” came from  a television documentary about the tumultuous life of a man who was  conscripted into Japan’s Kwantung Army and forced to fight for three  countries - Japan, the Soviet Union and Germany - during World War II.  Perhaps coincidentally, Kang decided to make “Taegukgi” after he watched  a television documentary.

“In fact, I found out about this  doomed man through a screenplay written by Kim Byung-in. I knew the  story was based on truth, but it was too shocking to believe. I had no  intention to make this film because I was working on a different film  back then, though,” Kang said.

The two-part television  documentary “Korean in Normandy” aired on SBS in 2005, however, and  changed Kang’s mind. “I watched it, and it touched my heart. The story  came to me miraculously.”

With Kang taking the lead, Korean  actor Jang Dong-gun and Japanese actor Joe Odagiri joined as the two  main characters. They are dragged from Korea to the Soviet Union to  Germany to Normandy against their will in the film.

With  numerous locations and overwhelming battle scenes, Kang and crew members  spent 14 months in preproduction. “It’s about triple the ordinary  preproduction period,” Kang said.

But the most challenging part  for Kang was bringing the well-known Normandy landing to life. “There  are many famous films featuring the Normandy landing, so we had to find a  way to differentiate ours from others,” Kang said. “We made small teams  for the Normandy scene. A number of producers and artists prepared for  the scene in Latvia while we were shooting in Korea.

“If you ask  me the difference between other Normandy landings and ours, other films  focus on Allied forces, but my focus was on Asian soldiers wearing  uniforms for another country.”

15212711.jpg

Jang  Dong-gun (left) and Joe Odagiri, two top actors from Korea and Japan,  play lead characters who are caught up in World War II. [NEWSIS]

Based  on the true story from the Korean soldier, the film adds fictional  elements by creating a rivalry between the Korean and Japanese  characters. Jun-sik (played by Jang) and Tatsuo (played by Odagiri) are  both top marathoners in their country, but they become archrivals when  Tatsuo moves to Korea during Japanese colonial rule. The film weaves  facts and fiction using Korean marathoner Sohn Kee-chung. He won a gold  medal in the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin as a member of the Japanese  delegation, but a picture of him on the podium during the medal ceremony  showing that he covered the Japanese national flag on his chest is  still remembered by many. The film takes liberties with this moment. In  the film, after Sohn wins the gold medal, Korean marathoners are not  allowed to participate in the Olympics. But Jun-sik gets a little help  from Sohn and the marathon elevates tension between Jun-sik and Tatsuo.

It’s  Jang’s second time to appear in a war film after “Taegukgi,” but this  character is much different. In “Taegukgi,” Jang’s character goes mad as  the war proceeds, but Jun-sik remains the same as his fellow soldiers  go crazy.  

“Everyone around him changes due to the war, but Jun-sik is the only one who keeps his faith,” Jang said.

“It  was quite hard to understand him, and I wasn’t sure about playing him.  Everything changes so fast, but he remains unchanged. But the director  assured me that Jun-sik is the one who changes people around him,” Jang  said.

“I had an impression that Jun-sik is a persona of Kang.  Kang has his own faith. He always dreams and realizes his dream  finally.”

On the other hand, Odagiri’s character falls into  insanity and savagery at one point, but he later undergoes a major  change. It was challenging for Odagiri to understand his character. It  eventually made him knock on Kang’s door with questions.

“I had  to discuss the character with Kang often. But I also loved hanging out  in his room because he had good wine and music,” said Odagiri, with a  grin on his face.

Chinese actress Fan Bingbing also appears in  the film as a Chinese female warrior. Her part is short but leaves a  strong impression. “Kang came to me with a screenplay and said I was the  only actress he contacted for the role. I instantly said ‘yes’ and  that’s how I came to work with him.”  

Kang has directed “The  Gingko Bed” (1996), “Shiri” (1998) and “Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of  War,” which are all said to have changed the landscape of Korean film.

“As  a director, I wish I could have more time and budget [for ‘My Way’] but  one thing I can tell you is I gave my all in each of the 5,400 takes,”  Kang said.

Most actors speak Japanese, including Jang, and the running time is 145 minutes.

“My Way” opens next Wednesday at theaters nationwide.

By Sung So-young [so@joongang.co.kr]

Final Korean Box Office for the Week-end 2011.12.16 ~ 2011.12.18

The number one movie this week is "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol"

(www.kobis.or.kr)

"My Way"

Release Date : 2011/12/21

Weekend : 1,192

Total : 7,145

Jang Dong-gun confesses, "I get no assist from wife Ko So-yeong" why?

F111218_014.jpg

Actor Jang Dong-gun confessed that he doesn't get assistance from his wife Ko So-yeong.

He spoke about his wife on the MBC TV program "Section TV" on the 18th.

When the reporter asked him if his wife treated him well he said, "I can get treatment from her if I am home a lot but there is just too much shooting away from home".

He hasn't been home for 9 months for the movie "My Way". He's gone again for the movie "Dangerous Liaisons" with director Heo Joon-ho. He hasn't had much time to see his son Min-joon because of this.

When the reporter asked again if he doesn't get assistance from his wife because of that, he bitterly nodded his head.

Meanwhile, actor Odagiri Joe and Fan Bing from "My Way" which is due to be released on the 21st of December, also appeared on this day's program.

Source : news.nate.com/view/20... ( Korean )

Translation : Hancinema

• 2 weeks later...

Korean War Epic 'My Way,' Volker Schlondorff's 'Calm At Sea' In Berlin Fest's Panorama Lineup

7:06 AM PST 1/3/2012 by Scott Roxborough

bingbing_a.jpg

New features from Tony Gatlif and Malgoska Szumowska also among selections for the event's "Panorama" sidebar.

COLOGNE, Germany – Korean war epic My Way - directed by Kang Je-Kyu and featuring an Asian all-star cast including Jang Dong-gun, Fan Bingbing and Odagiri Joe - and WWII period piece Calm at Sea from Volker Schlondorff (The Tin Drum) are two of the highlights of the 62 Annual Berlin International Film Festival's Panorama sidebar. My Way, with a $30 million budget, arguably Korea's biggest film ever, spans WWII battlefield action from Japan to the Battle of Normandy. Calm At Sea is set in Nazi-occupied Paris and focuses on the real-life story of 17-year-old resistance fighter Guy Moquet, executed by the Nazis in 1941.

The 20 titles picked so far for the Panorama and Panorama Special sections range from the omnibus work 10 +10, a survey of the work of 10 established and 10 new directors from Taiwan, to Dollhouse from Irish helmer Kirsten Sheridan (Disco Pigs) to Baltic drama The Parade from director Srdjan Dragojevic (Pretty Village, Pretty Flame).

The full Panorama line-up will be announced in by late January.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/korean-war-epic-my-way-berlin-film-festival-277513

January 4, 2012

Korean film 'My Way' invited to Berlin Film Festival

Source: sshim@yna.co.kr

AEN20120104003800315_01_i.jpg

SEOUL, Jan. 4 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean World War II movie "My Way" has been invited to this year's Berlin International Film Festival, the movie's local distributor said Wednesday.

The movie by South Korean director Kang Je-gyu will be presented in the Panorama Special section of the festival for films featuring both artistic and commercial values, CJ Entertainment and Media Co. said.

The 62nd Berlinale runs from Feb. 2 to Feb. 19.

Loosely based on a true story, "My Way" is about a Korean marathon runner and his Japanese rival developing an unlikely friendship against the backdrop of World War II.

It is the third Korean film to be invited to screen in the section, following "The Unjust" (2010) by director Ryu Seung-wan and "Woman On The Beach" (2006) by director Hong Sang-soo.

"It's a great honor to be invited to the Berlin Film Festival," Kang was quoted as saying by the distributor. "I hope the message contained in my film will be delivered to the world as well as to Asians."

"Varanasi" and "My Way" to go to Berlin Panorama

cRHbUgkLrgzhtBUWbFqC.jpg

The 62nd Berlin International Film Festival has announced early selections for the Panorama section to include two Korean films - JEON Kyu-hwan’s<From Seoul to Varanasi> and KANG Je-kyu’s<My Way>.

Shot on location in India and Korea, <From Seoul to Varanasi>follows a married Korean woman who falls in love with a young Arabicman who gets involved in a suicide bombing. The film made its world premiere at the Busan International Film Festival, but it is understood that it has been re-edited for Berlin.Jeon Kyu-hwan’s previous“Town series”about contemporary urban lives in South Koreaincludes <Dance Town> which was also in the Berlinale Panorama. <From Seoul to Varanasi> was produced by CHOI Mi-ae at their production company Treefilm.

Kang Je-kyu’s big-budget World War II film <My Way> stars JANG Dong-gun as a Korean marathoner drafted into the Japanese army during his country’s colonization. ODAGIRI Joe plays his longtime Japanese rival who becomes an officer in the army. Their fates take them from battles in China to a labor camp in Russia to a battle with the Germans and eventually the beaches of Normandy where they are found on the Allied forces’ D-Day invasion.CJ E&M released the <My Way> in South Korea on Dec. 21, 2011 and it is due to open in Japan on January 14.

The Berlinale stated, “After scouting extensively for films all around the world as well as viewing a major portion of the films sent to Berlin, a good third of the Panorama’s feature film programme has been selected. Out of a tremendous range of films numbering in the thousands, 20 titles are now certain. The Panorama section with its Main Programme, Panorama Special and Panorama Dokumente series will screen some 50 films in all.”

Other titles in the Panorama’s early selection include Penek RATANARUANG’s <Headshot>, Volker Schlöndorff’s <Calm at Sea>, and the Taiwanese omnibus <10+10> by directors including Hou Hsiao-hsien, Sylvia Chang andWei Te-Sheng.

The complete Panorama program will be announced by the end of January. The 62nd Berlinale will be held Feb. 7 – 14, 2012.

Credit : http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/jsp/news/news.jsp?pageIndex=1&blbdComCd=601006&seq=1689&mode=VIEW&returnUrl=&searchKeyword=