Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

Guest TY_KSW

A surprisingly sweet review from Variety.com ^^ Harmonium in My Memory movie thread

May 31, 1999

The Harmonium in My Memory

(NAE MAEUMEUI PUNGGEUM) ((COMEDY-DRAMA -- SOUTH KOREAN))

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/rubie...armonium/10.jpg

Source: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117914234.html

haha.. he was sooo young then..

sad that haven't watching it yet! :sweatingbullets:

Related captures from various sites & fan-sharing at EverythingLBH and LBH-soompi.com
Check out more photos compiled at our Gallery & Related updates here 

EverythingLBH.com thanks every fan-sharing ardently with our utmost gratitude

March 10, 2008

Hollywood's remake of "Addicted" premieres in America

Source: Daum via Hancinema.net

Addicted.jpgpossession2008.jpg

Hollywood has remade the Korean movie "Addicted" into a thriller, "Possession" and will be premiering nationwide on the 28th. This is the second remake of a Korean movie following "Lake House" starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock, which remade "Il Mare".

"Addicted", starring Lee Byeong-Heon and Lee Mi-yeon, premiered in 2002. It was about two brothers who experienced an accident on the same day, and the mysterious love story that follows after only the younger brother wakes up and claims that their souls have changed. The basic outline of the Hollywood remake is the same. The main female character, originally Lee Mi-yeon, will be played by Sarah Michelle Gellar, who was in "Scooby Doo" and "The Grudge". 

Also, the role of the brother-in-law that earned Lee Byeong-Heon a lot of praise went to new actor Lee Pace. Simon Sandquist and Joel Bergvall are the directors. The movie has not been revealed, and a preview in America is planned for this week. A release in Korea has not been determined.

The remakes of "My Sassy Girl" and "A Tale of Two Sisters" are to be released in the fall in America. 

Credits: dramabeans.com, IMDb, movies.ign.com 

The Korean psychological thriller Addicted, starring Lee Byung Heon and Lee Mi Yeon, has been remade by Hollywood (sigh) — the American version, Possession, stars Sarah Michelle Gellar (hmm) and Lee Pace (yay!) and is set to open on the 28th. With the rash of Korean films being given the glossy Hollywood treatment (in addition to Addicted and Il Mare [made into The Lake House], My Sassy Girl and Tale of Two Sisters are in the works), let’s hope ONE of them can get it right. 

Spoiler

Addicted_1.jpg

Guest TY_KSW

Naahh! :P He was not that young :blush: .. BH was acting 21 in the movie and he could even look as someone younger.. when he's actually.. already 28.

Do watch Harmonium, TY.. it's a really sweet first love story.. so young & innocent.. :wub: .. "good" ending.

i meant the man looked sooo young dear..

i haven't got chance to watch that movie.. aishhs! lacking some of the top choice!

such a misery! <_<

The JOFC seems to have a little change (of layout) at the notice board. However, we can't copy any of the topic announcement (i.e the text, function disabled by the site).. so, it's hard to babel the message for those who can't read or guess the content.

Doesn't it make you a little 'lonely' that you can't read or understand (just the gist of) the notice left by BH's management, although the message wasn't actually meant for all?

Can't help feeling sad thinking about this.

---

ps: MRS.le, I've replied your PM. Please check your inbox. The 'mail alert' might have gone unnoticed.

» Addiction/Addicted movie thread

March 10 Korean article at http://sports.khan.co.kr/news/sk_index.htm...p;sec_id=540401

News bites: March 10, 2008

March 10th, 2008 // by javabeans

Addicted.jpg » » » » » possession2008.jpg

The Korean psychological thriller Addicted, starring Lee Byung Heon and Lee Mi Yeon, has been remade by Hollywood (sigh) — the American version, Possession, stars Sarah Michelle Gellar (hmm) and Lee Pace (yay!) and is set to open on the 28th. With the rash of Korean films being given the glossy Hollywood treatment (in addition to Addicted and Il Mare [made into The Lake House], My Sassy Girl and Tale of Two Sisters are in the works), let’s hope ONE of them can get it right.

Credits: dramabeans.com, imdb.com, movies.ign.com

The Korean psychological thriller Addicted, starring Lee Byung Heon and Lee Mi Yeon, has been remade by Hollywood (sigh) — the American version, Possession, stars Sarah Michelle Gellar (hmm) and Lee Pace (yay!) and is set to open on the 28th. With the rash of Korean films being given the glossy Hollywood treatment (in addition to Addicted and Il Mare [made into The Lake House], My Sassy Girl and Tale of Two Sisters are in the works), let’s hope ONE of them can get it right.

Credits: dramabeans.com, imdb.com, movies.ign.com

Hi everyone :D Thanks for the 'Addicted' news Rubie. I have yet to see Addicted but it despairs me to hear about the remake, why must Hollywood feel the need to remake movies that don't need remaking? :( I can't tell you how mad I was when I heard they were remaking A Tale of Two Sisters, why do it?! :crazy:

Anyways I hope everyone is doing good and aren't going out of their minds without our Hunnie... I'm certainly not, I have him here with me. Say hello Hunnie *picks up action man doll and waves his arm* See? He's saying hello. It is him really, look at the hair, JUST LOOK AT THE HAIR! :blink: LOL :P

Hi everyone :D Thanks for the 'Addicted' news Rubie. I have yet to see Addicted but it despairs me to hear about the remake, why must Hollywood feel the need to remake movies that don't need remaking? :( I can't tell you how mad I was when I heard they were remaking A Tale of Two Sisters, why do it?! :crazy:

I've seen Addicted and I absolutely, absolutely LOVE the movie. :wub: I've also seen the Possession trailer.. maybe it won't justify as much but it's simply not the same as the Korean version. Nothing like it. It's seems darker and darker, and .. just.. lost.

Needless to say, I love & appreciate Addiction by Lee Byung Hun more and more. Period.

H-hunnie.. wait till they're done butchering remaking JSA and A Bittersweet Life! :o Arghh! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: *pulls hair!*

Anyways I hope everyone is doing good and aren't going out of their minds without our Hunnie... I'm certainly not, I have him here with me. Say hello Hunnie *picks up action man doll and waves his arm* See? He's saying hello. It is him really, look at the hair, JUST LOOK AT THE HAIR! :blink: LOL :P

LOL! I don't have my action man doll but I can tell you.. lately.. I'm in and out of my mind.. :sweatingbullets: .. feeling quite terrible and much frustrated. :tears:

Guest celina86

Thanks for the "Addicted" news, Rubie

Yeah I have seen that movie too... BH`s performance was so brilliant and convincing :blush:

I still cry whenever I watch the scene where Dae-Jin convinced Eun-Soo into believing he`s Ho-Jin... both the actors pulled off that scene so beautifully that I felt chills running down my spines :blush: ...

I have also seen the Possession trailor... that one seems more of a dark romantic thriller than Addicted was

Thanks for the "Addicted" news, Rubie

Yeah I have seen that movie too... BH`s performance was so brilliant and convincing :blush:

I still cry whenever I watch the scene where Dae-Jin convinced Eun-Soo into believing he`s Ho-Jin... both the actors pulled off that scene so beautifully that I felt chills running down my spines :blush: ...

Same here!

I'm just so into Dae-jin's sacrifice of love for Eun-soo.. even though he did what he did.. his love is undeniable. I knew the storyline before watching but still I believed him. Possession is much too dark than Addicted ever set out to be. I like Addicted because everything really seemed very normal and real enough but.. it's not.. at all..

LBH was simply superb in the movie. :wub: He was nominated for Best Actor for the role.. but up against.. SKH.. there can only be one winner. :sweatingbullets: But Lee Mi Yeon won the Blue Dragon for Best Actress. Or was it the Grand Bell? A pity though, when LMY won.. LBH could not make it to the ceremony as he was away in the US at the time, filming All In.

Guest celina86

Same here!

I'm just so into Dae-jin's sacrifice of love for Eun-soo.. even though he did what he did.. his love is undeniable. I knew the storyline before watching but still I believed him. Possession is much too dark than Addicted ever set out to be. I like Addicted because everything really seemed very normal and real enough but.. it's not.. at all..

LBH was simply superb in the movie. :wub: He was nominated for Best Actor for the role.. but up against.. SKH.. there can only be one winner. :sweatingbullets: But Lee Mi Yeon won the Blue Dragon for Best Actress. Or was it the Grand Bell? A pity though, when LMY won.. LBH could not make it to the ceremony as he was away in the US at the time, filming All In.

Same here, I knew about the whole storyline before watching the movie but when I was watching the movie, it didn`t really feel as if LBH was pretending... God he really got us there.

:P.. I agree, his love undeniable and you can really understand his pain for commiting such a sacrifice... I can`t imagine how hard it can be actually forgetting someone who you really are and becoming this complete different person

Aaaww... I`m glad LBH`s performance was highly appreciated that it was also nominated :blush: That`s great for LMY though :D

Aaaww... I`m glad LBH`s performance was highly appreciated that it was also nominated :blush: That`s great for LMY though :D

Yeah.. :blush: .. both LBH and LMY were nominated in the 2003 Grand Bell Awards for Best Actor & Best Actress respectively for their roles in Addiction. The Best Actor award went to Song Kang Ho (Memories of Murder) while LMY won the award for Best Actress. I wanted to clarify what I wrote earlier, it's actually the Grand Bell or Daejong for LMY.. hehee .. :blush:

Though BH didn't win.. he was not less a winner, being nominated amongst the best is an honour in itself. I've not seen Memories of Murder but it's one of the most highly-rated, with an especially excellent performance by SKH already winning a train of awards. The thing about BH, while it's nice to win an award.. he just goes for personal achievement, making his performance real and as credible as possible. A good actor will always be noticed and well appreciated, true talent has no expire date.. as brought by A Bittersweet Life 3 years later. :rolleyes:

If we look at his movies and past work, some may not achieved top box-office record but nonetheless, most movie critics and fans of Korean movies love his performance. And eventually, if we consider the "recognition".. even Hollywood wanted to remake JSA, BSL and Addicted out of the so many Korean movies over the years.

I've seen Addicted and I absolutely, absolutely LOVE the movie. :wub: I've also seen the Possession trailer.. maybe it won't justify as much but it's simply not the same as the Korean version. Nothing like it. It's seems darker and darker, and .. just.. lost.

Needless to say, I love & appreciate Addiction by Lee Byung Hun more and more. Period.

H-hunnie.. wait till they're done butchering remaking JSA and A Bittersweet Life! :o Arghh! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: *pulls hair!*

LOL! I don't have my action man doll but I can tell you.. lately.. I'm in and out of my mind.. :sweatingbullets: .. feeling quite terrible and much frustrated. :tears:

Omg I hope they don't remake JSA and BSL! If that happens I will personally hunt down whoever is responsible with my crossbow and hunting spear :ph34r:

:tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

can't take it anymore ..

Aww Rubie *hugs* Try not to be sad, even LBH wants you to cheer up... just look at his new tattoo he's sporting :P

cheerup.jpg

Hehe even he wants you to cheer up lol ;)

Omg I hope they don't remake JSA and BSL! If that happens I will personally hunt down whoever is responsible with my crossbow and hunting spear :ph34r:

OOPS.

There have been talks of a JSA remake since 2005. It's certainly coming (they've already got it) but just don't know .. when and when. :unsure: Yup.. the location is set though.. instead of the DMZ.. the Hollywood version would focus on the US-Mexico borders.

As for BSL.. could Hollywood let an excellent and truly worthy Cannes film go untouched? :mellow: I read it sometime late last year of the plan to remake.. even though the ORIGINAL movie have yet to be fully shown in the States.

Uhh-ohh.. I think our girl-Hunter.. is gathering her crossbow & hunting spear.. as we speak.. :sweatingbullets::ph34r:

Aww Rubie *hugs* Try not to be sad, even LBH wants you to cheer up... just look at his new tattoo he's sporting :P

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t123/Hi...r01/cheerup.jpg

Hehe even he wants you to cheer up lol ;)

*cries*.. look at Hunnie all bloodied and hurt because of the tattoo. :tears:

No need for all that pain. A little news from LA or a glimpse is all we ask.

---

H-hunnie .. thanks so much for the awesome pic. I was literally breaking my back RFOL. :lol: Hahaa.. you sure know how to chase the blues away.

I truly appreciate the sweetest gesture, it makes a lot of difference. :wub: The writing back (to any message posted) seems a small thing to do but to me, it's the warmest encouragement to have.

Just that little response and tiny reply at the thread is all we need to go on.

March 12, 2008

The Korean-American Movie Wave
By Philip W. Chung asianweek.com

Is the future for Asian American filmmakers in the East?

I wrote in this column a little over a year ago that Korean film companies were beginning to invest in Asian American (specifically Korean American) projects and looking to the American market to expand. This year’s San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival, taking place later this month, is a good place to gage the impact of this trend.

This year’s festival boasts more than 18 works by Korean or Korean American filmmakers, as well as two of the key works that have come out of this Korean American collaboration: Michael Kang’s West 32nd. and Gina Kim’s Never Forever.

The 26th San Francisco International Asian American Film
Festival runs from March 13-23: www.asianamericanmedia.org.

West 32nd stars John Cho (Harold & Kumar) as a young lawyer who must enter the world of Korean gangsters to solve a murder, while Never Forever stars Vera Farmiga (The Departed ) as the wife of an infertile Korean American man who hires an illegal Korean immigrant to impregnate her.

But both films were made by young Korean American filmmakers and were financed by major Korean film entities. In the case of West 32nd, Kang was backed by CJ Entertainment, a top Korean studio the equivalent of a Warner Bros. or Universal.

“Working on West 32nd with CJ was overall a great experience,” said Kang, whose 2005 debut feature The Motel was well-received. “I felt like I could tell a very personal story without having to compromise the intentions or have to explain it to them. At the same time, it allowed me to stretch my filmmaking muscles and play in a genre form that required backing from a real studio.”

The Korean film industry should be applauded for its efforts in supporting brethren outside of the country; no other Asian country is reaching out in the same way. Granted, it’s not all altruistic. The Korean film industry sees Korean and Asian American filmmakers as a possible way into the American market and the vast resources that lie within. Still, these very talented young artists may not have been able to get their projects off the ground without this support.

But the problem is none of these films have yet made an impact box office-wise, either in the U.S. or Korea. So far, there hasn’t been a Better Luck Tomorrow or Chan is Missing in the bunch — a film that truly breaks through. If that doesn’t happen in the near future, it’s very possible that these opportunities may quickly dry up.

There is, however, another related trend that I couldn’t have anticipated a year ago — Korean actors crossing over into American films. Here’s just some of what you’ll see in the next year: My Sassy Girl’s Ji Hyun Jun (as Gianna Jun) starring as an anime vampire slayer brought to life in Blood: The Last Vampire; pop star Rain in two Wachowski brothers projects — Speed Racer and the just announced Ninja Assassin; Byung-Hun Lee (A Bittersweet Life ) in G.I. Joe alongside Dennis Quaid; Dong-Kun Jang (Tae Guk Gi) in Laundry Warrior with Kate Bosworth; and Korean American turned Korean heartthrob Daniel Henney as a mutant in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Most of this casting news has only been announced in the past two months, which means it’s still too early to tell what, if any, effect the melding of Korean stars and Hollywood movies will have. But along with the Korean companies’ support of Korean American filmmakers, I think this Korean American trend is about to reach critical mass. Whether it blossoms into a genuine movement that opens real doors for Asian American filmmakers or bursts under the weight of its failures will largely be determined in the next couple of years as audiences make their decision the only way that counts — with their wallets.

Philip W. Chung is a writer and co-artistic director of Lodestone Theatre Ensemble.

OOPS.

There have been talks of a JSA remake since 2005. It's certainly coming (they've already got it) but just don't know .. when and when. :unsure: Yup.. the location is set though.. instead of the DMZ.. the Hollywood version would focus on the US-Mexico borders.

As for BSL.. could Hollywood let an excellent and truly worthy Cannes film go untouched? :mellow: I read it sometime late last year of the plan to remake.. even though the ORIGINAL movie have yet to be fully shown in the States.

Uhh-ohh.. I think our girl-Hunter.. is gathering her crossbow & hunting spear.. as we speak.. :sweatingbullets::ph34r:

*cries*.. look at Hunnie all bloodied and hurt because of the tattoo. :tears:

No need for all that pain. A little news from LA or a glimpse is all we ask.

---

H-hunnie .. thanks so much for the awesome pic. I was literally breaking my back RFOL. :lol: Hahaa.. you sure know how to chase the blues away.

I truly appreciate the sweetest gesture, it makes a lot of difference. :wub: The writing back (to any message posted) seems a small thing to do but to me, it's the warmest encouragement to have.

Just that little response and tiny reply at the thread is all we need to go on.

Oh noooo! I'm trying my best not to type every swear word known to man down :crazy: There's no need to remake JSA or BSL, I hate the way Hollywood feels the need to fix things that ain't broken. I'd bet my house and everything I own that the remake of JSA won't be anywhere near as good as the orginal.

You're right Rubie, I'm just looking through my vast array of weapons now to see which ones to use incase they decide to remake BSL :ph34r:

:lol: I'm glad you liked the pic and it made you smile Rubie :D I hope you didn't hurt your back too much lol

I agree with you about reading replies, I look forward to coming to the thread and reading all the messgaes people have wrote :P

Thanks Huang for sharing this update & clip with us. BH started his career on KBS, over 17 years ago.

Appreciate it very much. ^^ Is the clip downloadable? Can someone help..

I can't seem to watch the clip either, can anyone shed any light on how to watch it? Thanks for sharing it btw huangsy ;)

Guest huangsy

Thanks Huang for sharing this update & clip with us. BH started his career on KBS, over 17 years ago.

Appreciate it very much. ^^ Is the clip downloadable? Can someone help..

I think may be downloable using certain software to 'hijack' it ! :blush:

Mebbe someone with RealPlayer can try but after that may have to convert the file format. Or use Freecorder or GetFlash or FlashGet.

Oh noooo! I'm trying my best not to type every swear word known to man down :crazy: There's no need to remake JSA or BSL, I hate the way Hollywood feels the need to fix things that ain't broken. I'd bet my house and everything I own that the remake of JSA won't be anywhere near as good as the orginal. You're right Rubie, I'm just looking through my vast array of weapons now to see which ones to use incase they decide to remake BSL :ph34r:

I agree with you about reading replies, I look forward to coming to the thread and reading all the messages people have wrote :P

So glad that you have really jumped into the thread without any hesitation or reservation whatsoever, H .. because that's how it should be... we need more fans & friends to talk about LBH and everything about him. Sometimes, we may have to adjust ourselves but it's normal and not at all difficult to do especially when we're here for LBH.. huh.. huh. So.. come on, people! ^^

These days, if we rely on just the news (if any!) or pics (if we're lucky!!).. eventually there will be NOTHING to post at all.

Btw.. Celina.. or H or ylin or anyone interested and up for it.. can I trouble you hunnies for some simple banners for EverythingLBH? It's something we can do to update & highlight our thread with.

I think may be downloable using certain software to 'hijack' it ! :blush:

Mebbe someone with RealPlayer can try but after that may have to convert the file format. Or use Freecorder or GetFlash or FlashGet.

Yeah.. there could be a way to 'grab' links.. as it's been done. I used to do (whenever possible) it.. especially the easiest way (now it gets harder to decipher) .. before.. whoops.. but not anymore. :sweatingbullets:

Now I'm more fearful of anything 'hijacking' my hd instead.. no pc.. no rubie to post.. huhuhu.

The streaming link, like AutumnLeaves mentioned.. sometimes it works.. sometimes.. just blank.

Anyway.. anyone with this clip to share.. we'll highly appreciate. :blush:

Guest huangsy

HI,

someone from Jo In Sung thread gave this alternative link

mms://newsvod.kbs.co.kr/news/news_8am/2008/03/10/700k/120_1.asf