Uhm Jung Hwa 엄정화

Guest MC_Lee

April 26, 2010

"Bestseller" knocks out "Titans" from top of box office

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2010042609384757359_1.jpg

Official movie poster of Korean thriller "Bestseller" [Daisy Entertainment]

Korean thriller "Bestseller" scored its first win on top of the local box office over the weekend, knocking out three week winner "Clash of the Titans" off the No. 1 spot.

Estimates by the Korean Box Office System (KOBIS) released on Monday revealed that "Bestseller" brought in 213,144 admits during April 23 to 25 to claim the title of the most-watched film in the country.

"Bestseller," starring Korean singer and actress Uhm Jung-hwa, is about a successful novelist who gets accused of plagiarism and escapes to a remote cabin where she begins to hear voices.

Hollywood blockbuster "Clash of the Titans," starring Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes, fell one slot to second place with 151,107 moviegoers and newly released Korean drama "A Long Visit" bowed into the chart at No. 3 selling 107,915 tickets.

Meanwhile, recently released action comedy "Kick-richard simmons" and Academy Award winner "The Hurt Locker" successfully entered the box office chart ranking in at the fourth and fifth position recording 87,238 and 85,256 admissions, respectively.

Other movies in the top 10 were "Hi Murder," "The Blind Side," "The Book of Eli," "G-Force" and "Pistol Bandit Band."

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October 19, 2010

Uhm Jung Hwa had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer

by nanunmaro allkpop.com

20101020_1287542147.jpg

It has been revealed post-surgery that actress and singer Uhm Jung Hwa had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. She is currently reported to be cured and rehabilitating.

On October 20th, Shim Entertainment revealed that Uhm Jung Hwa underwent thyroid cancer surgery this past May. During a full body check-up, the hospital found a small tumor and Uhm Jung Hwa was hospitalized for three days and discharged.

The official stated, “We had discovered it early, it wont affect her role in Superstar K2 or future works.”

Uhm Jung Hwa won the Best Female Actress Award for “Best Seller” at Chunsan Film Festival and will pick her next work after Superstar K2.

Photo & news: nate

October 20, 2010

Uhm Jung-hwa goes through thyroid surgery

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

101020_pm_uhm.jpg

Top actress and singer Uhm Jung-hwa, 41, has reportedly been fighting thyroid cancer and she has nearly fully recovered.

A close aide to her said Wednesday that Uhm received thyroid surgery at a university hospital in southern Seoul last May. "Uhm went through surgery immediately after the cancer was detected during a general medical check-up.

"Fortunately, the cancer was found at an early stage. As a result, she was discharged in three days after endoscopic surgery. "

It is reported that thyroid cancer is curable in up to 90 percent of cases as the disease develops very slowly. There are no scars left on her neck as the surgery was performed via the endoscopic technique, the aide said.

Very few people, including family members and friends, were aware that she had been suffering from cancer.

The aide said that not many people knew about the illness as she was also appearing in the television talent contest, "Superstar K2," on cable channel Mnet as a judge despite her condition.

Uhm made her debut as an actress in "On a Windy Day We Must Go to Apgujeong" in 1992 and released her first album, Sorrowful Secret in 1993. "Since then, she has enjoyed popularity as both an actress and a singer," the aide said.

October 21, 2010

News of entertainer’s cancer surgery shocks fans

By Hannah Kim Contributing writer joongangdaily.com

20101020_1287581864_1.jpg

news.nate.com

Singer-actress Uhm Jung-hwa had surgery for thyroid cancer, according to a statement released yesterday by Uhm’s management company Sim Entertainment. The new has shocked fans and acquaintances alike.

According to the press release, Uhm had the surgery on Oct. 5. The cancer was discovered at an early stage and Uhm was released from the hospital four days later, the statement said. Only Uhm’s family and a very small group of friends were aware of the illness.

Uhm is currently one of the main judges for MNet’s popular talent show “Superstar K2.”

“[uhm] did not show any signs of being sick and was always bright and friendly to all the staff backstage,” a program employee told Ilgan Sports. “The only thing that I’ve noticed is that the pitch of her voice sounded a little lower.”

The employee also praised the singer, saying she had endured long taping sessions for the show without complaint. Uhm says the surgery will not interfere with her participation on the talent show, the statement said.

This season’s winner will be chosen on tomorrow’s program, scheduled to air at 11 p.m.

October 21, 2010

Uhm Jung-hwa Had Operation for Thyroid Cancer

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

2010102100527_0.jpg

Uhm Jung-hwa

Singer and actress Uhm Jung-hwa has been operated for thyroid cancer, it emerged Wednesday. Uhm found out that she had cancer during regular medical check-up this spring and immediately had an operation at a university hospital.

Uhm's management agency Sim Entertainment said she is now healthy and has fully recovered. "She regularly visits a hospital in Gangnam for routine check-ups following a full recovery," a spokesman said.

Thyroid cancer is one of the most slowly developing types of cancer with one of the highest prospects of a full recovery.

Uhm appears as a judge on Mnet's "Superstar K2," a Korean version of "American Idol."

• 3 months later...

February 18, 2011

Hwang Jun-min, Uhm Jung-hwa cast in new film

Reporter: Heidi Kim heidikim @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> l news.nate.com

htm_20110218122825c000c010-001.JPG

Actor Hwang Jung-min (left) and actress Uhm Jung-hwa

Actor Hwang Jung-min and actress Uhm Jung-hwa have been cast in a new film, revealed the film's producer and promoter JK Film on Friday.

According to a press release by JK Film today, Hwang and Uhm will co-star in "Dancing Queen" (tentative title), about the wife of a candidate for Seoul's mayor training to become a singer without telling her husband.

Uhm will play the wife who transforms from an ordinary housewife into a dancing queen and Hwang, the husband who too goes through gradual changes to become a true politician.

The film, set to crank in around April, is aiming for a premiere around the latter half of this year.

Hwang, 40, debuted in 1994 with the musical "Line 1" and has since starred in many renowned films including "You're My Sunshine," (2005) "Bloody Tie," (2006) "A Man Who Was Superman" ( 2008), "Like The Moon Escaping From The Clouds," (2010 "and" The Unjust "(2010) as well as TV series" The Accidental Couple "(2009) and many musicals.

Uhm, 41, made her debut in 1992 starring in film "We Must Go To Apgujung-Dong On Windy Days," and has since appeared as the main leads in films such as "Marriage Is A Crazy Thing," (2002) "Singles "(2003)," Haeundae, "(2009) and" Bestseller, "(2010) alongside TV series" A Tropical Night in December, "" Get a Knife, Su Jeong "(2007) and" The Man Who Can't Get Married, "(2009).

She is also a singer who has released a total of nine regular albums and several single albums from 1993 to 2008.

February 20, 2011

Uhm Jung-hwa turns Dancing Queen for the big screen

Via TV Report by javabeans dramabeans.com

20110218_1297995753_88336100_1.jpg

Sometimes movie descriptions are woefully bland and don’t do the project justice, and sometimes they’re delightfully vivid from the first sentence. It’s the latter case for Dancing Queen, the new movie starring pop queen Uhm Jung-hwa and Hwang Jung-min: The wife of a candidate for Seoul mayor becomes a dance singer without her husband’s knowledge, leading to hijinks.

I can see it already, particularly with this spot-on casting. Hwang (Accidental Couple) is so good at playing honest, lovable types that it’ll be a hoot to see him dealing with an errant wife once he finds out what she’s been up to. His character is a poor lawyer who becomes candidate for mayor of Seoul and starts to develop into a serious politician.

Uhm (The Man Who Can’t Marry) plays a woman who had given up her dream and lived as an ordinary housewife, until one day she takes up the challenge of becoming a dance singer, keeping it a secret from her husband. (“Dance singer” means a pop singer who is known more for her performing and dancing than her singing, like Uhm herself, or Lee Hyori.) She’s got an elegance that works as politician’s wife, but she’s also got the pop diva background to pull off the singing and dancing with flair. She ain’t Korea’s answer to Madonna for nothin’.

Dancing Queen is produced by JK Films and directed by Lee Seok-hoon of My Two-Faced Girlfriend. It aims to begin shooting in April in order to release later this year.

• 5 months later...
Guest MC_Lee

Uhm Jung Hwa sings for the first time since being diagnosed with thyroid cancer

htm_20110126102252c000c010-001-460x305.jpg

After overcoming her thyroid cancer, Uhm Jung Hwa recently sang a song for the first time.

Uhm Jung Hwa participated in the song, “Slowly…Slowly“, from singer/songwriter Jung Won Young’s 5th album.

Last year, fans were worried after hearing that Uhm Jung Hwa was receiving surgery for her thyroid cancer under secrecy at an university hospital. However, with this song, Uhm Jung Hwa revealed her lovely tender voice and showed that she is making a healthy recovery.

Beginning with the lyrics, “On days when the lights are good, you open the window and look out the streets,” “Slowly…Slowly” reflects on how one looks back on a quickly moving life. Uhm Jung Hwa finished recording the track eight months after her surgery.

Uhm worked together with Jung Won Young for her 8th album, “Self Control,” back in 2004, and upon hearing that Jung Won Young was creating a solo album, Uhm Jung Hwa quickly came over and featured in one of his songs.

Rumors say that Uhm Jung Hwa, who made sure that only her family and her close friends knew about her sickness, sang so well that the staff at the recording studio did not know that she was sick.

Credit:allkpop

One source hints, “Uhm Jung Hwa will soon choose another movie to star in and regain her status as an actress.”

• 3 weeks later...

August 10, 2011

Uhm Jung Hwa apologizes for her scary makeup picture

Source: Newsway by ektha16 allkpop.com

127655_101049_4130.jpg

Singer/actress Uhm Jung Hwa has apologized for her scary makeup picture.

On August 9th, Uhm Jung Hwa tweeted, “I haven’t put on makeup for a long time.” and uploaded a picture of herself.

In the picture, Uhm Jung Hwa is seen with long crimped hair and thick, smoky eye makeup. Her grey contact lens almost made her look like a completely different person, and netizens expressed that it seemed like she overdid her makeup.

In response, Uhm Jung Hwa tweeted on August 10th, “A picture to alleviate the scariness” and uploaded a picture of her dog Tangeul. She also said, “I uploaded that picture because it’s been a while since I had cute makeup on. I’m sorry for scaring everyone.”

Uhm Jung Hwa’s brother, Uhm Tae Woong, commented on Uhm Jung Hwa’s scary makeup picture with, “I thought that was Tangeul.”

August 16, 2011

Uhm Jung Hwa shares pictures of fan-given birthday gifts

by CWK allkpop.com

201108160739778077_1.jpg

Singer-turned-actress Uhm Jung Hwa has tweeted pictures of the gifts she received from her loving fans.

On August 16th, Uhm Jung Hwa wrote, “Temptation (Uhm Jung Hwa’s fan club) came to visit me at the set today. My long time supporters – thank you, I love you. Sweet cake and gifts! And also, thank you to the fans who came from Japan. I love you!”

In the pictures, Uhm Jung Hwa is seen smiling brightly with her fan-given cake and flowers.

Netizens who saw the picture commented, “Both the flowers and the cake are as pretty as Uhm Jung Hwa“, “You must be happy“, and “Unni, you’re so pretty“.

Meanwhile, Uhm Jung Hwa is busy filming for her upcoming movie, ‘Dancing Queen‘, with actor Hwang Jung Min.

Source + Photos: OSEN via Naver

• 2 weeks later...

August 25, 2011

Jung Jae Hyung confesses “If I had to get married, it would be with Uhm Jung Hwa”

by exceptlove allkpop.com

20110825_1314233082.jpg

On August 24th, MBC aired the 200th episode special for ’Golden Fishery-Radio Star‘, which saw appearances from Lee Juk, John Park, and Jung Jae Hyung. Jung Jae Hyung, who’s known for having close friendships with pretty female stars, was bombarded with questions regarding his relationships with them.

Addressing the photo he took with BoA recently, he stated “I met her through Uhm Jung Hwa and had dinner. I only met her once, so I don’t really know her”. The MCs continued to pester Jung Jae Hyun about his female celebrity connections, which ended up embarrassing the poor star. The MCs urged, “We’re not interested in the females who’ve already been revealed“, drawing much laughter from the crod.

When asked to choose between Uhm Jung Hwa, Lee Hyori, and BoA for his future wife, Jung Jae Hyung replied “I would marry Uhm Jung Hwa”.

After viewing this broadcast, netizens commented “You two look good together“, “I wish you two would get married“, and “Jung Jae Hyung jjang!”

Meanwhile, it was also revealed through this day’s broadcast that singer Lee Juk has a mania for animal printed underwear.

Source + Photo: Star Today via Nate

• 2 weeks later...

September 4, 2011

DVD Releases: Sept. 4-10

Source: Seen in Jeonju

20110530002754228.jpg

MAMA: Directed by Choi Ik-hwan, starring Uhm Jeong-hwa, Im Hae-sook. Number of discs: 2/ Subtitles: Korean and English/ Rating: ages 12+/ Format: 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen/ Audio: Dolby Ditigal 5.1/ Running time: 110 minuntes+ 68 minutes of extras on disc 2/ Suggested Retail Price: 25,300 KRW/ Available from September 8.

lposter050571-5.jpg

• 1 month later...

November 4, 2011

Uhm Tae-ung: 'Naked Face of ‘Sexy Diva’ Uhm Jung-hwa is Pure'

Source: Writer: Honorary reporter Noh Ji-won Copyright©KBS&KBS Media

On the episode of KBS 2TV’s “Kim Seoun-woo’s Win Win” that aired on Oct. 1, actor Uhm Tae-ung appeared as a guest and expressed his mind frankly about his elder sister Uhm Jung-hwa, attracting great attention from the viewers.

On the episode, when the name “Uhm Jung-hwa” came out as a related keyword, Uhm defined her, saying, “She is an elder sister much like a father who made me what I am.” He went on, “Our family consists of one son and three daughters. My sister seems to understand me better than the others as her occupation is the same as mine.” Responding to questions by the MCs who wanted to know the everyday life of the sexy diva Uhm Jung-hwa, he replied, “She is a little pretty. In my opinion, her naked face is pure rather than pretty.” His remarks produced great laughter in the audience.

Uhm Tae-ung continued to talk about the reason for the delay of his sister’s marriage. He said that his sister had young and fresh sensitivity in comparison with her age and said men that could harmonize with her were usually too young, causing a large age gap with her. He expressed his sadness, saying that she had difficulty in finding partners of the same age level with her.

Meanwhile, Uhm Jung-hwa rendered support for his brother on a line, as he was scheduled to appear on a singles talk show. She said wittily that she had already heard the entire conversation on the show through the phone and expressed her worry for her brother’s talk show appearance.

She said, "I am deeply moved to see Tae-ung appear on a TV program. He passed through hard and lonely days in his youth. I am very proud of my brother who grew up to be a pure and good-natured man.”

• 4 weeks later...

November 29, 2011

Hwang Jeong-min is Uhm Jung-hwa and Kim Jeong-eun's man

Source: Nate via hancinema.net

201111300853775590_1.jpg

Actor Hwang Jeong-min is about to take over movies and dramas at the same time.

Hwang Jeong-min is currently all over Korea and overseas as the main character of the TV Chosun drama "Hanbando - Drama". This drama with Kim Jeong-eun, Jo Seong-ha, Lee Soon-jae, producer Lee Hyeong-min and writer Yoon Seon-joo has Hwang Jeong-min taking on the role of Seo Myeong-joon, who goes from scientist to President and unifies the Korean peninsula -- Hanbando.

When debates regarding unification and the development of alternative energy sources by both the North and South Koreas begins accelerating, Kim Jeong-eun takes on the role of first lady Rim Jin-jae. She shares love and romance evenly in this divided reality.

In the movies, Hwang Jeong-min is Uhm Jung-hwa's man. This is their third collaboration since "My Lovely Week" and "Five Senses of Eros". In reality, the two are close friends and their movie "Dancing Queen" has been confirmed to be released next January.

"Dancing Queen" is about the wife of Mayor of Seoul becoming a dancing queen. Hwang Jeong-min is the Seoul City Mayoral candidate and Uhm Jung-hwa is the wife who becomes a dancer/singer by accident. The two are good enough at what they do to be able to pull off whatever role is given to them, and this builds expectations. The dynamic double-sided life is not the only thing that's interesting -- the fancy staging and lighting should be very entertaining as well.

December 8, 2011

Lee Hyo-ri and Gill make cameo appearances in new film

By Sung So-young koreajoongangdaily.com

Sexy diva Lee Hyo-ri and rapper Gill have made cameo appearances in a new film titled “Dancing Queen,” which is singer-actress Uhm Jung-hwa’s latest film and is due to be released early next year.

JK Film said on Dec. 8 that Lee and Gill, who are close friends of Uhm, were willing to be part of the film. Both Lee and Gill play foul-mouthed judges in a scene where Uhm tries her luck at “Super Star K,” the Korean version of “American Idol,” without telling her husband, who is running for Seoul mayor. Actor Hwang Jung-min (“Mobydik,” 2011) will pair up with Uhm as the candidate for the Seoul mayor’s office.

Lee and Gill already finished shooting the singing competition scene, according to the film production company.

“Dancing Queen” centers on the conflicting elements of Uhm’s life. On one hand, she must be an elegant and devoted wife to Hwang, who is in the political spotlight. But she also has a long-held dream of becoming a famous signer.

Archived