[movie 2009] Closer To Heaven 내사랑 내곁에

Guest kdramafanusa

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The Korea Times 12-12-2008 17:52

Kim Myung-min Replaces Kwon Sang-woo in Film

By Cathy Rose A. Garcia

Staff Reporter

Kim Myung-min

Actor Kim Myung-min, star of the hit drama "Beethoven Virus,'' has been cast in the lead role of the upcoming melodrama "My Love By My Side.''

Kim will play the challenging role of a man suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease who still maintains a sense of humor. He will appear alongside actress Ha Ji-won, who will play a cheerful funeral director.

"My Love By My Side'' is expected to be a romantic tearjerker. The film's director will be Park Jin-pyo, who directed the award-winning film "You Are My Sunshine'' and "Voice of a Murderer.''

Shooting for the film will begin early next year. It is tentatively scheduled to be released in the fall of 2009.

Kim's popularity has skyrocketed this year with his role as Maestro Kang, a gifted conductor, in the MBC drama about classical musicians "Beethoven Virus.'' He recently won the top acting prize at the 2008 Korea Drama Festival.

Hallyu star Kwon Sang-woo was initially reported to have been cast in the lead role for the film. However, Kwon dropped out of the project last October, causing production to be delayed.

cathy@koreatimes.co.kr

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^That's great news! Park JinPyo injects doses of realism and compassion into his films that despite the uber shinpa-ness of the plot (AIDS, Lou Gehrig's disease etc), they end up being genuinely affecting (so few melodramas are). Plus he's a director who gets superb performances from his actors (imo it was "You Are My Sunshine" that finally catapulted Hwang JungMin to Lead Actor status, and of course Jeon DoYeon also got several awards+noms). The cast is in good hands.^^

And I'm looking forward to KMM breaking my heart again. :tears:

Guest piano_lady

^That's great news! Park JinPyo injects doses of realism and compassion into his films that despite the uber shinpa-ness of the plot (AIDS, Lou Gehrig's disease etc), they end up being genuinely affecting (so few melodramas are). Plus he's a director who gets superb performances from his actors (imo it was "You Are My Sunshine" that finally catapulted Hwang JungMin to Lead Actor status, and of course Jeon DoYeon also got several awards+noms). The cast is in good hands.^^

That being said, I won't be surprised if this film also gets international nominations and awards :sweatingbullets:

Wow.

KMM's fans would be so elated on such awesome news and a challeging role.. a really cool twist of event indeed.

Can't help but be envious of everyone here.. and there's Ha Ji Won, too.

rubie, we are so delighted with this news indeed ;)

and of course, you are very welcome to share the excitement with us :D

Guest kdramafanusa

'Voice of a Murderer' lead stars Kim Nam-ju & Seol Gyung-gu talked about director/screenwriter Park Jin-pyo in this interview.

[source/Credit: Bmelanie at koreanfilm.org forum]

"Interview with actors of 'Voice of a Murderer'"

Sat Jan-27-07 12:21 PM by bmelanie

My translation of a fascinating interview with the two lead actors of 'Voice of a Murderer' which opens this February. I happen to rather like Kim Nam-ju (yes, I know, she hasn't acted in six years, but I think she's gorgeous and she's good at what she does), and Seol Kyung-gu is of course a fabulous actor, period. Both of them are parents (Kim gave birth to a baby girl several months ago, and Seol is a divorced parent), so it was interesting to see how they prepared for their roles as a couple coping with the kidnapping of their only son.

The bracketed parts are my own small supplementary explanations.

Kim Nam-ju "The Challenge that Defied Elegance (broke Kim's usual image of the elegant woman)"

Interviewer: This movie marks your return after a six-year hiatus from acting.

Kim: I never said I wouldn't act. I wanted to choose a piece that I knew I could do well, do better, and so time kept passing and I became very cautious. On the other hand, I was grateful that so many people were telling me I'd taken a long break. I felt there were still those who were waiting for Kim Nam-ju the actress.

I: Your characters have mostly been city women in trendy dramas. Even Min-jae from 'Wangcho' was a modern woman. (Wangcho: 1999 Korean period piece drama about a leader of beggars)

Kim: I won't deny that I have such an image, but there are aspects of myself that people don't know. I've never planned to look a certain way in any drama or commercial. In fact, I started my career with a boyish image. But the commercial images have accumulated over time, and so I was eventually considered an elegant, perfect woman. In reality, I'm not like that at all. I even like drinking coffee in tea rooms (as opposed to Starbucks or brewing one's own coffee).

I: What was your first reaction to the script?

Kim: I was horrified by the idea of committing a crime against a powerless child. In the final part of the film, you see a montage of the culprit, and as I reached that part of the script, I screamed and threw it across the room. I felt that as a mother, I had to do this. This wasn't just about good acting, it was about participating in a worthy cause.

I: I imagine you discussed a great deal of the movie with your husband, Kim Seung-woo (another Korean actor).

Kim: I didn't talk with him about the film at all. But Kim Seung-woo was a huge influence in my deciding to do this movie. He brought the script to me and told me 'just read it,' without saying whether it was good or bad. After I made my decision, he told me that he had secretly hoped I would do it, but didn't say anything in case his opinion became a hindrance. He didn't say anything about my acting either. But he is one of those who desperately want to see this movie. He really wants to see my performance. When we were in a drama together (some years back), neither of us were very interested in each other so we don't remember anything.

I: What did director Park Jin-pyo say about his reasons for casting you?

Kim: He had a rule - that the actors should be real parents. He thought that an actor who was actually a parent would express things differently and think differently. My experience with director Park has taught me that good directors have excellent insight. I was startled that he saw something different from what everyone else expected from me, and trusted me. I take after my mother, I worry about my child a great deal, and I think that part about me struck him. Perhaps the fact that I was the woman from the fancy apartment building made it easier for him to make me suffer. (Kim has consistently appeared in beautiful apartment commercials over the past years)

I: What did he demand from you during shooting?

Kim: He told me, 'do whatever you want. I'm not a mother, so I need you to give me ideas.' He didn't tell me to emote certain emotions or limit my actions in any way. I always felt that I was lacking in something, and then one day I said a line, 'my baby...' in a sort of moan. He told me that that was what I'd been lacking. It was comforting that he was always praising me and cheering me on.

I: Did his trust in you feel like a burden in any way?

Kim: I like that kind of burden, it's something about my personality. If I had been inconfident about the role, then yes, it would have been a burden. But from the moment I received the script, I had a sort of confidence that I could do this, because I was a mother. I've got a childish streak in me, so when people tell me I'm doing well I tell myself 'I can do better.' I actually run out of steam when I'm constrained in any way. In that sense, Mr. Park and I fit very well together.

I: Ji-sun Oh (Kim's character in the movie) is the one who, until the end, retains her poise. If you read the script, she puts some fruit neatly on a white plate for the police after the kidnapping has occurred. What did you think of that part of her character, as a mother?

Kim: I couldn't understand it at all. Fortunately, the director was flexible, so when I told him that I didn't feel this way in this scene, he agreed that we shouldn't do it. I never actually studied my character during shooting - I simply tried to understand her and feel what she felt.

I: It must have been hard to escape from the aftereffects of the character's emotions, being a parent yourself.

Kim: I never actually imagined my own daughter, La-hee, in such a situation. In fact, I was so happy to see La-hee because I immediately returned to being me again. But creating Oh Ji-sun from within myself was very difficult. The muscles in my stomach would go weak on my way to the set. Though once, I did cry with La-hee on my back, looking out at the river Han from my window. 'I'm sorry, La-hee, I'm sorry that mummy can't be with you more.' And as I prayed for her, I began to cry. It wasn't actually something to cry about, but I was still very much in the hold of the character of Oh Ji-sun, so even the smallest thing could turn on the waterworks.

I: The atmosphere must have been different from that of a drama set.

Kim: The experience of holding a complete script in your hand and understanding exactly why you had to act this way was new and interesting. None of the scenes were easy. I always had to bring out everything inside me. Whenever I felt I could go a little easy, the director would push me until he was satisfied with the take. He wanted me to have a face swollen from crying too much, frog-like eyes, and chapped lips.

I: There must be some memorable scenes.

Kim: There's one scene where Oh Ji-sun is drinking soju, with her back to the camera. Most wives hide a little bottle of soju somewhere under the sink, to sip whenever it gets hard to cope with the housework. I drank real soju, and the sound of it being gulped down was truly heartwrenching. It sounded as though I wanted to find my child, even if it cost me my life. Considering that even the crew wept, I think it was a pretty good scene.

I: It seems as though VOAM could be a turning point in your career.

Kim: It was frustrating to be limited to commercials all the time. The fact that i gave birth to a child actually liberated me, in that sense. Whatever I do next, whether it's a film or a drama, I'd like to do something different from VOAM and from anything I've done before. Right now, I'd like people to say, 'Wow. Kim Nam-ju did this?'

Seol Gyung-gu "For Joyous Self-Torture"

Interviewer: I heard that you were going to appear in an evening talk show to promote this movie. Isn't this the first time you've appeared in such a program?

Seol Gyung-gu: It is. The production company set it up. I couldn't avoid it. They told me to do it since it would be about the movie and most of the talking would be about the movie too. It's the best kind of promotion there is. After experiencing two flops, I realied there was nothing as effective as live broadcasting.

I: It must have been hard for you last year, when <Lost in Love> and <Cruel Winter Blues> both underperformed at the box office.

Seol: It can't be helped. Considering the conditions last year, I doubt many movies did well. My luck only extends so far. Personally, I'd love it if this film could really be a huge hit, to make up for the bad year I had before, and to make a fresh start for 2007. But this movie shouldn't be about commercial success.

I: It's still expected to be a hit.

Seol: I don't know. I really don't know. It's a touchy subject. Before, I would have said, 'Let's show it to lots of people and catch the culprit,' but even that can sound so affected and attention-grabbing, as though I'm just saying that to pull in more viewers. If I had to say something about this movie, then it would be something in the lines of, 'Come and watch. Don't be too serious about it, though when you feel something boiling inside afterwards, perhaps then we can catch him.'

I: You've lost so much weight.

Seol: The fat behind my shoulders here, that just disappeared while I was shooting VOAM. My hands are thinner too. All that weight gained from Rikidozan has gone, it's great. I weigh 72 kg now. I think I lost more after filming. The funny thing is that at the fitness center, people kept asking me if I'm preparing for something new. I met Yang Dong-geun (brilliant young Korean actor) in the locker room the other day, and he asked me 'Are you preparing for something again?'

I: How did you come to be involved in VOAM?

Seol: The decision was before even 'You Are My Sunshine' (director Park Jin-pyo's previous movie). The production company representative handed me some material related with the kidnapping case and made me an offer. I'd been interested in the director ever since in 'Too Young to Die' (Park's first movie) so I said yes.

I: Why were you interested in Park?

Seol: No particular reason. I like emotional people (there's an adjective here that simply doesn't translate very well. I'm not even sure what Seol means by it, but the closest word I can think of is 'emotional'). I was curious. I first met Park in 2002 at the Pusan Film Festival, and he was such a quiet fellow, shy and awkward. It seems I have an aversion to people who are eloquent and good at promoting themselves. Anyway, I was interested in working with him, and in comes an offer, so of course I take it. If you watch 'Too Young to Die' you receive the impression that he makes very emotional movies. Unlike dramas, movies have to compress everything in about two hours, so you really have to get the essence of the story. I felt Park could do that. I felt he could help me. I need to attain something too, as an actor. I need to hear that I'm still good to go, even if I haven't progressed much. That's what I pay attention to, these days. I don't want to be called regressive.

I: When did you receive the script?

Seol: I'd been meaning to have a dinner or a drink with the director for a long time, but I didn't get the opportunity. And then we just met after the VIP premiere of 'Crying Fist.' The director asked me outright if I was going to do it, so I said yes. That was it. I received the script when 'Cruel Winter Blues' was near completion. I had no idea I was an anchor man though.

I: What did you think your role was?

Seol: I knew I was a father, but nothing else.

I: It must have come as a shock.

Seol: I was shocked somewhat to see I was an anchor man. But eventually, I came to think that it wasn't the job that was important, it was the emotions. I just had to sit at a desk and read. There are anchor men like that, and then there are anchor men like Um Gi-young (the most prominent and respected anchor man in Korea). I didn't think that I would have to take someone as a role model, so there was no burden about that. Actually, I never feel any such burden with any role I do.

I: You still had to look like an anchor man.

Seol: The director wanted me to have pale skin, look like an intellectual. So I got some skin care before shooting started, and I began to wear sun block for the first time in my life. My face benefited a great deal.

I: Your character, Han Gyung-bae, is your first intellectual, bourgeois kind of role, isn't it?

Seol: Well, yes, even as a prosecuting attorney, I was rather violent. I guess it is the first. It's the first time my skin has been this pale, my hair brushed so neatly. This character has had photographs taken with the president and has a happy family.

I: What did you feel, reading the script?

Seol: I became totally absorbed (I THINK this is what he means. Seol uses exceedingly ambiguous figures of speech). Particularly the final scene. It's a kind of provocation, but you'll have to see the movie to know what I mean. The director said 'the movie is only complete when we catch the culprit.' He said that all through shooting. And I became assimilated into it. As did Nam-ju.

I: The movie was shot all over Seoul, wasn't it?

Seol: Most scenes were shot at the real places where the kidnapper and the child's parents came into contact. The 63 building (63-storey building in the middle of Seol), the Olympic Highway. The Dae-han theatre had been rebuilt, so we had to shoot across the road for that scene.

I: Did shooting at the actual locations affect you as an actor?

Seol: Something was different. I can't say what, but it was different. For example, the real kidnapping incident occurred at the Hyundai Apartment complex in Apgujeong, and the local residents protested strongly against filming there, but the director refused to give up. In the end, the producer and the company rep. managed to persuade the residents to permit shooting in the playground. It was a peculiar feeling,. There's a set of swings there, and that's where the child disappeared. I can't really explain it. There's something repulsive and sinister.

I: What was the hardest part?

Seol: I just couldn't get into the parent's mind set. It just didn't happen.

I: Even though you're a father yourself?

Seol: My thoughts were in conflict. I had to accept the fact that my child was kidnapped, and at the same time, I was thinking 'No, I don't like that.' I simply couldn't think of it as my own ordeal.

I: Then what did you think of while you acted?

Seol: I just tortured myself. I can't describe the situation here, the marketing team said I shouldn't, but there's one scene where I really hit the emotional extremity. It was edited out of the actual movie, but in any case, it was filmed in Jae-chon. I was thinking of going down early on the day of shooting, since it was close to Seoul and all, and then I got a phone call from the director on the day before. And he said, 'Look, do you really think the parents would be completely sane when they arrive?' It was just a remark, but it hit me. I went down straight away and got my make-up and clothes on, and then I had a drink with Jin-pyo (the director). It got late, so I let Jin-pyo sleep and then walked around the hotel. When it got light, I became kind of embarrassed, so I came back to my room and sat my manager down in front of me and told him 'I'll kill you if you let me sleep,' and I stayed awake all night. I was still half-drunk, I was tired, I was a complete wreck. And then, with no time to gather myself, shooting started. At first I was just lost, but after about ten minutes, something began to well up inside me. It was the most extraordinary experience.

I: Was it like that with the last scene?

Seol: That scene was shot in two days at the Mokdong broadcasting center, and on the first day, it simply didn't work. So we wrapped for the day and decided to start early tomorrow and started drinking. I wanted to clear my head. I remembered the filming in Jae-chon. 'I'll drink and torture myself as much as possible.' I thought. 'I don't know how a parent would feel, so I'll just wreck myself instead.' I'd already spent the night before awake, so I went into filming that morning after getting no sleep for two nights running, and still somewhat drunk. And then something welled up inside again.

I: Did that get rid of all the unnecessary thoughts in your head?

Seol: Not completely, but I definitely managed to reduce the number of thoughts. I just let myself be, john tesh everything else. (expletive is intentional, Seol swore in the interview...it was actually in a rather humorous way. Not a completely accurate translation, but something along the lines of what I wrote)

I: Park is reputed to be a director who makes his actors feel at home.

Seol: It's true, but to be honest it's even more harrowing. He lets the actors do what they do. It looks as though he's allowing them a huge amount of freedom, but that freedom isn't what you think. I have to agonize over everything and take responsibility. Urgh. And I had no idea how the parents would feel...I just tried to feel as much as I could. It can't have been much, though.

I: It seems as though you're still suffering from the aftereffects.

Seol: It's so bad that I even dreamt about the culprit last night. I was waiting to appear at a premiere at the Seoul theatre, and the kidnapper had appeared. With a knife. He stabbed someone and we fought, and I managed to catch him, though my hands got all cut up. And then we went up to the stage and said hello, and the director announced 'our film is finally finished!' and the crowd cheered. After the premiere, we drove straight to hospital, and I just felt so good. (pause) I've drawn a bloody comic strip, haven't I?

I: You must have been under a great deal of pressure. How did you escape from that? Did you drink?

Seol: Almost no alcohol. We had just two dinner gatherings. The schedule was tight, and I didn't want to mess with anything when shooting was on full tilt.

I: So what did you do after filming?

Seol: I'd go home. And sit there, gormless. Or I'd jump rope.

I: Was that to lose weight?

Seol: Partly. I wanted to show my character becoming thinner after the kidnapping. It was hardest when we were shooting at the Yangsoori set. I had to show a significant change in just a few days, so I just ate one small potato a day. I feel that it's unscrupulous to simply show the audience what you have. Even if they don't notice, I try and do something to myself, even pull out my eyebrows. That's why this is a difficult job. I find it so annoying that the only ingredient I have is me. I can't help parts of me seeping out; my expression, my tone of voice...On the other hand, I can't help thinking that when an actor tries to change too drastically, it detracts from the sincerity of the performance. It's a dilemma.

I: Is it getting harder to be an actor?

Seol: I keep putting myself through harder situations, suffering, contracting gastritis, torturing myself. But then I thought on New Year's Day that I'd like self-torture to be a little more enjoyable. Then perhaps I could get something new out of it. If I really torture myself, the result is extremely primitive, so I should try something different. I should use my head. Be shrewd, be calculating, be measured in your self-torture.

I: You think you have to change something?

Seol: I think change is necessary. I visit the hairdresser's now. And I'm going to stay fit. VOAM has really stimulated me. Jin-pyo kept warning me: 'Don't go around wearing baggy clohtes, getting fat. Don't do that, you're an actor.' Though it doesn't mean I should start wearing fancy clothes or anything. After I finished <Oasis> and began shooting <Jail Breaker> I immediately gained weight and went over 80 kg.

I: Isn't it because of age?

Seol: I don't think so. I don't mean to change drastically. It's like this. When my stylists bring me clothes, I'm a little less sorry than I used to be. In the old days, whatever I wore it would be slightly tight. Now that I look back, it was irresponsible of me.

I: Perhaps that's it. You look very different. As if you've participated in some human reform project.

Seol: There is this. I used to hate going around with people and socializing, and I'm still rather unfamiliar with it, but nowadays I try to do it more than before.

I: Is it something like loving one's self more?

You know, I said that late last year in an interview. It just slipped out. 'I'm going to love myself now. I'll take care of myself.' And I really should. As I grow older, I think to myself, 'This is the beginning of a second Seol Gyung-gu.' It's like, I've already hit the bottom, so there's nowhere to fall now. Though I'd appreciate it if you don't put 'The Second Seol Gyung-gu' as the headline. And don't write about change or transformation. It might be because I'm lonely. (Seol divorced officially a few months ago.) Lee Chang-dong told me. 'You're lonely, aren't you?' So I replied to him, 'I'm not lonely, I play tennis, I play soccer, I attend two fitness centers.' And he said, 'That's because you're lonely.' He's right. It might be because I'm lonely.

I: So what? Perhaps that's your motive for change.

Seol: Yes. So what. It's a progressive direction.

I: You'll feel much more at home with yourself.

Seol: That's exactly it. Self-torture should be comfortable, at home with one's self, enjoyable!

I like Seol Gyung-gu. He's so...cheerful about masochism.

I'm glad KMM is in this now! KMM and HJW both have won DaeSang awards before, so it's a movie I'm anticipating. :) Looks like it's going to be a sad movie?!?! :tears: I'll need to have a box of tissues ready beside me when I'm watching it.

Thanks for all the updates kdramafanusa!

rubie, we are so delighted with this news indeed ;)

and of course, you are very welcome to share the excitement with us :D

Thanks very much piano_lady, that's really nice and encouraging.. really appreciate the reply.

Can just feel the air of excitement everywhere with this news. ^^

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: The ALS Association

What is ALS

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), often referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease," is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed.

A-myo-trophic comes from the Greek language. "A" means no or negative. "Myo" refers to muscle, and "Trophic" means nourishment–"No muscle nourishment." When a muscle has no nourishment, it "atrophies" or wastes away. "Lateral" identifies the areas in a person's spinal cord where portions of the nerve cells that signal and control the muscles are located. As this area degenerates it leads to scarring or hardening ("sclerosis") in the region.

As motor neurons degenerate, they can no longer send impulses to the muscle fibers that normally result in muscle movement. Early symptoms of ALS often include increasing muscle weakness, especially involving the arms and legs, speech, swallowing or breathing. When muscles no longer receive the messages from the motor neurons that they require to function, the muscles begin to atrophy (become smaller). Limbs begin to look "thinner" as muscle tissue atrophies.

alsnervesrn1.gif

What Types of Nerves Make Your Body Work Properly?

(from Living with ALS, Manual 1: What's It All About?)

The body has many kinds of nerves. There are those involved in the process of thinking, memory, and of detecting sensations (such as hot/cold, sharp/dull), and others for vision, hearing, and other bodily functions. The nerves that are affected when you have ALS are the motor neurons that provide voluntary movements and muscle power. Examples of voluntary movements are your making the effort to reach for the phone or step off a curb; these actions are controlled by the muscles in the arms and legs.

The heart and the digestive system are also made of muscle but a different kind, and their movements are not under voluntary control. When your heart beats or a meal is digested, it all happens automatically. Therefore, the heart and digestive system are not involved in ALS. Breathing also may seem to be involuntary. Remember, though, while you cannot stop your heart, you can hold your breath - so be aware that ALS may eventually have an impact on breathing.

Although the cause of ALS is not completely understood, the recent years have brought a wealth of new scientific understanding regarding the physiology of this disease.

While there is not a cure or treatment today that halts or reverses ALS, there is one FDA approved drug, riluzole, that modestly slows the progression of ALS as well as several other drugs in clinical trials that hold promise.

Importantly, there are significant devices and therapies that can manage the symptoms of ALS that help people maintain as much independence as possible and prolong survival. It is important to remember that ALS is a quite variable disease; no two people will have the same journey or experiences. There are medically documented cases of people in whom ALS ‘burns out,’ stops progressing or progresses at a very slow rate. No matter what your individual course or situation may be, The ALS Association and your medical team are here to help.

To learn more about the personal stories of people who are living fully, click here. As one man put it, “I’ve made ALS part of my life, not my whole life.”

Last revised 10/2008

Thanks very much piano_lady, that's really nice and encouraging.. really appreciate the reply.

Can just feel the air of excitement everywhere with this news. ^^

Yes, 2009 seem an exciting yr for us ( KMM fans)....KMM with his new movie and co starring with my fav actress HJW , and prayerfully in BV season 2 if it comes true.

However, this maybe one slow moving melomovie...actually not my type of fav choice.

There is also Iris drama that I am looking forward especially having Rubie hulky LBHunnie there, but there seem to be some setback with the PD at the moment. :unsure:

Awww..Thanks Rubie.

This news was unexpected. Zombie mentioned reading from DC that his next project will be a movie, I just didn't think it would be a melodrama.

Melusine & Rubie, KMM & Hwang JungMin are good friends in real life right?

Shirley recently translated an article for us, we weren't sure if the good friend he mentioned was HJM.

I have no idea about HJM and KMM being good friends, that would be awesome info to know. :blush: But as always, I'm the last person to know anything.. at all.

It's great news indeed.. the main role in the movie is without a doubt a challenging persona to tackle. I'm glad that a capable actor is chosen to deliver such a character.

Guest PecanPie02

this is so awesome news!!! we get to see kmm (pretty soon enough) lol

and this is most likely going to be a difficult role to play but i have full confidence in kmm pulling this role off ;) har har~

Guest kdramafanusa

Park Jin-pyo ( 박진표 / 朴珍杓 )

DoB : 1966 (South Korea)

Titles : Too Young To Die (2002), You Are My Sunshine (2005)

Field : Director, Screenplay

1171003771296139653voiciy1.jpg11634900828755891620051hi5.jpg

Biography

Born in 1966. PARK graduated from ChoongAng University majoring in film. He worked as an TV director before beginning his film career. In 2001, PARK’s debut feature film < Too Young to Die > invited to the Cannes Film Festival Critic’s Week and received four awards in total from the 7th Pusan International Film Festival, not to mention the great attention it acquired worldwide from critics, film festival officials, and audiences. PARK’s debut success was topped in 2005 with the box office hit, < You are My Sunshine >. It became the most successful melodrama film in Korean history, recording an astounding 3 million viewers, and establishing PARK Jin-pyo as the director with the most perceptive understanding of the audience’s emotions.

Filmography

2006 Voice of a Murderer (Screenplay, Director)

2005 You Are My Sunshine (Screenplay, Original Story, Director)

2003 If You Were Me (Director)

2002 Too Young To Die (Original Story, Director)

International Film Festivals

2006 Chennai International Film Festival (You Are My Sunshine) (Country Focus -Korea)

2006 Montreal World Film estival (You Are My Sunshine) (Focus on World Cinema )

2006 Paris Cinema (If You Were Me ) (New Korean Cinemas )

2006 San Francisco International Film Festival (You Are My Sunshine) (New Directors )

2006 Udine Far East Film Festival (You Are My Sunshine) (Competition )

2005 Filmasia Film Festival (If You Were Me ) (Tribute to director Park Chan-wook )

2005 Lyon Asian Film Festival (If You Were Me ) ()

2004 Era New Horizons Film Festival (Too Young To Die) ()

2004 Göteborg International Film Festival (If You Were Me ) ()

2004 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria International Film Festival (If You Were Me ) ()

2004 Melbourne International Film Festival (If You Were Me ) (Regional Focus)

2004 Palm Springs International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) (World Cinema Now)

2004 Singapore International Film Festival (If You Were Me ) (Asian Cinema)

2003 BLACK MOVIE festival de films des autres mondes (Too Young To Die) ()

2003 Brisbane International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) (Asia Pacific section)

2003 Cairo International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) ()

2003 Focus on Asia Fukuoka International Film Festival (If You Were Me ) ()

2003 Göteborg International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) ()

2003 International Film Festival Rotterdam (Too Young To Die) ()

2003 International Film Festival of Asia Pacific countries in Vladivostok (If You Were Me ) ()

2003 International Film Festival of Asia Pacific countries in Vladivostok (Too Young To Die) (The Film - Winners of Asia Pacific FF)

2003 Karlovy Vary International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) (Forum of Independents)

2003 New York Asian Film Festival (Too Young To Die) ()

2003 San Francisco International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) ()

2003 Seattle International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) ()

2003 Singapore International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) ()

2003 The Times BFI London Film Festival (If You Were Me ) ()

2003 Tromsø International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) ()

2003 Vancouver International Film Festival (If You Were Me ) ()

2002 Cannes International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) ()

2002 The Times BFI London Film Festival (Too Young To Die) (World Cinema)

2002 Tokyo FilmEx (Too Young To Die) ()

2002 Toronto International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) ()

2002 Vancouver International Film Festival (Too Young To Die) (Dragons and Tigers)

~~~

Voice of a Murderer ( Gui-nom Mok-so-ri )

2006 122min 35mm 10980ft 2.35:1 Color Dolby SRD

Director : PARK Jin-pyo (박진표 / 朴珍杓)

Production : Zip Cinema

Main Cast : SUL Kyung-gu, KIM Nam-joo

Release Date : FEB 01 2007

Rate : Over 12

Genre : Drama, Thrillers

Synopsis : One day, the only son of famous news anchor, HAN Kyung-bae, disappeared without a trace. Soon, the kidnapper calls the nine-year-old boy’s mother, OH Jisun, demanding $100,000 as ransom. The police assign veteran detective KIM Wook-jung to the case and assemble a top-notch task force under his command. However, the kidnapper constantly outwits the police traps and keeps calling the parents with yet another instruction for the money drop. The only clue the police and the parents have is the kidnapper’s voice recorded on the tape; his cultured, but emotionless voice, which often gives anyone who listens goose bumps. The parents become restless and angry as days turns into weeks, and one day, when the kidnapper calls HAN Kyung-bae with another set of instructions, he turns the situation completely around and demands a direct confrontation. He starts giving instructions to the kidnapper, and…

You Are My Sunshine ( Neo-neun Ne Wun-myoung )

2005 121min 35mm 10890ft 2.35:1 Color Dolby Digital SRD

Production : bom Film Production

Main Cast : HWANG Jung-min, JEON Do-yeon

Release Date : SEP 23 2005

Rate : Over 18

Genre : Romance

Synopsis : An old bachelor Seok-joong, who has no experience in dating, falls in love at first sight with a prostitute named Eun-ha. At first Eun-ha shows no interest in Seok-joong, but gradually she begins to be flattered by his devotion and eventually falls in love with him. They marry. However, one day, Eun-ha finds out that she is infected with HIV and decides to leave Seok-joong...

2006 Montreal World Film estival , Focus on World Cinema

2006 Chennai International Film Festival, Country Focus -Korea

2006 San Francisco International Film Festival , New Directors

2006 Udine Far East Film Festival , Competition

Too Young To Die ( Jukeodo Jo A )

2002 67min 35mm 5974ft 1.85:1 Color Dolby SRD

Production : Mayplus

Main Cast : LEE Sun-ye, PARK Cki-gyu

Release Date : DEC 06 2002

Rate : Over 18

Genre : Drama

Synopsis : Chi-gyu and Sun-ye have fallen in love. They do everything together: eat, sleep, argue, have sex… For them, 70 years old is the perfect age to start a new relationship. After marrying and moving in together, a new life unfolds for the happy couple. They stick together through the trials of old age, caring for and teaching each other the best they can. We are allowed to join them for the highs and lows of their romance.

2003 International Film Festival of Asia Pacific countries in Vladivostok, The Film - Winners of Asia Pacific FF

2002 Tokyo FilmEx ,

2003 Brisbane International Film Festival , Asia Pacific section

2004 Era New Horizons Film Festival ,

2003 International Film Festival Rotterdam ,

2003 Tromsø International Film Festival,

2003 Karlovy Vary International Film Festival , Forum of Independents

2003 Cairo International Film Festival ,

2002 Vancouver International Film Festival , Dragons and Tigers

2004 Palm Springs International Film Festival , World Cinema Now

2002 Toronto International Film Festival ,

2002 The Times BFI London Film Festival, World Cinema

2003 San Francisco International Film Festival ,

2003 Göteborg International Film Festival,

2003 Seattle International Film Festival ,

2003 BLACK MOVIE festival de films des autres mondes,

2002 Cannes International Film Festival ,

2003 New York Asian Film Festival,

2003 Singapore International Film Festival ,

If You Were Me ( )

2003 110min 35mm 9800ft 1.85:1 Color

Director : YIM Soon-rye (임순례 / 任順禮), PARK Kwang-su (박광수 / 朴光洙), PARK Chan-wook (박찬욱 / 朴贊郁), PARK Jin-pyo

(박진표 / 朴珍杓), JEONG Jae-eun (정재은 / 鄭在恩), YEO Kyun-dong (여균동 / 呂均東)

Production : National Human Rights Commission of Korea

Main Cast : JI Jin-hee, BAEK Jong-hak

Release Date : NOV 14 2003

Rate : Over 12

Genre : Experimental

Synopsis : The human rights situation in South Korea has certainly taken a large leap forward in the past few decades since the era of authoritarianism, but the awareness and sensitivity of the average citizen of the human rights of others is still lacking. This is why the National Human Rights Commission(NHRC) asked six acclaimed directors who have shown an interest in human rights in their work to each shoot a short film dealing with the issue of discrimination - a violation of the basic right to equality. The six directors each selected one of the various kinds of discrimination highlighted by the NHRC as problematic in Korea for the themes of their respective short films. Discrimination is a widespread problem that the public does not yet perceive clearly, but this Human Rights Film Project aims to contribute toward making this issue a significant topic of social discussion.

2004 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria International Film Festival ,

2003 Vancouver International Film Festival ,

2003 Focus on Asia Fukuoka International Film Festival ,

2003 The Times BFI London Film Festival,

2004 Melbourne International Film Festival , Regional Focus

2003 International Film Festival of Asia Pacific countries in Vladivostok,

2006 Paris Cinema , New Korean Cinemas

2004 Singapore International Film Festival , Asian Cinema

2005 Filmasia Film Festival , Tribute to director Park Chan-wook

2004 Göteborg International Film Festival,

2005 Lyon Asian Film Festival,

[[source: KOFIC]]

KMM and KHN is also a good pair for this movie. At least it's not someone lower than KSW in star level. At least the movie is now quite final. :)

Guest kdramafanusa

Ha Ji-Won talks about Kim Myung-Min's casting

Original Article: JoongAng 2008.12.15 16:07

English Summary/Translation Credit: Lovekmm at KMM thread

"I become alert when I heard the news that KMM would join the movie 'My Love By My Side.'."

HJW said to her close associates, "I was happy to hear the news that KMM had been cast as JW, a man suffering from Lou Gehrig’s disease. My heart flutters with joy to perform with KMM, who shows great empathy to each character. At the same time, I feel responsible."

HJW was anxious to know who the leading actor would be after KSW dropped out the film. Yoon Kye Sang and Park Hae Il were mentioned. When HJW had learned that KMM revealed a positive reaction to the scenario, she looked forward to filming with KMM at heart.

Guest purpleZ

Thanks for the news and update everyone, especially kdramafanusa. I'm very happy indeed that Kim Myung Min is replacing KSW in this film. He's a very great actor, very serious in his characters. I remember the PD saying that KMM totally studied his character in Beethoven Virus and had to become one with his character there. So yes, I can see him drown in his role in this movie. 2 great actors starring in this film together. This will be a major hit! :)

Guest piano_lady

KMM talks about his new movie

We still need the translation here ^^

김명민, '강마에'스러운 영화 도전 '눈길'

2008년 12월 17일 (수) 11:05 OSEN

os200812171045032300_0.jpg

관련상품보기[OSEN=손남원의 영화산책]연기자 김명민은 TV 드라마에서 늘 최고였다. 무명이었던 그는 사극 '불멸의 이순신'에서 혼을 담은 연기로 톱스타 자리에 오르더니 이후 '하얀거탑' '베토벤 바이러스' 등 출연작마다 승승장구 했다.

그러나 스크린 쪽으로 방향을 돌리면 얘기는 180도 달라진다. 이상할 정도로 영화 흥행과는 거리가 멀었다. 의학 스릴러 '리턴'이 그랬고 손예진과 호흡을 맞춘 '무방비 도시'도 기대에 못미쳤다.

그런 그가 영화 흥행에 다시 도전한다. 박진표 감독의 최신작 '내사랑 내곁에'를 통해서다. 때마침 MBC 수목극 '베토벤 바이러스'로 자신의 진가를 재확인 시킨 직후여서 세간의 관심이 쏠리고 있다.

또 하나, 다른 톱스타들이 쉽게 내리기 힘든 결정을 단 칼에 휘둘렀다는 사실이 김명민을 더 돋보이게 만들었다. '내사랑 내곁에'는 한류스타 권상우가 출연을 약속했다가 마지막에 이런저런 이유를 들어 발을 뺐던 작품이다. '투자가 불분명하다'는 게 권상우측의 주장이었지만 제작사 쪽은 터무니없다는 반응으로 맞섰다.

'내사랑 내곁에'는 '너는 내운명'과 '그놈 목소리'로 연속 대박을 기록한 박진표 감독의 차기작이다. 배우라면 누구나 군침을 흘리는 주연 자리였지만 권상우의 약속 번복으로 때를 탔다. 톱스타가 선뜻 그 자리를 대신하기 쉽지 않은 캐스팅으로 상황이 바뀐 셈이다.

그 럼에도 '내사랑 내곁에'의 새 주연 발표는 금세 이뤄졌다. 그 주인공은 다름아닌 '베토벤 바이러스'에서 입 거칠고 괴팍하지만 속내는 따뜻한 인간미의 소유자 '강마에'를 열연했던 김명민. 음악과 지휘에 관한한 어떤 타협도 불허하고 최선을 향해 자신을 몰아세우는 '강마에'답게 그는 진정한 배우의 자세로 영화 출연을 쾌도난마식으로 결정했다.

이번 영화에서 김명민은 또 한번의 연기 변신을 시도한다. '내사랑 내곁에'에서 그가 맡은 종우 역은 루게릭 병으로 몸이 점점 마비되어가는 난치병 환자지만 유머러스하고 사랑에도 적극적인 매력남이다.

혼 자서는 몸도 가누기 힘들 정도로 처절하게 병마와 싸우면서도 웃음을 잃지않는 남자란 쉽게 연기할 수 있는 배역이 아니다. 하지만 때로는 인간적 고뇌에 신음하는 이순신 장군으로, 때로는 출세와 권력에 집착하는 천재 외과의로, 그리고 중년의 오케스트라 여성 단원에게 '똥덩어리' 악담을 퍼붓는 지휘자로 계속 연기폭을 넓혀온 그로서는 당연히 욕심낼 배역일지 모른다.

상대역은 하지원. 멜로에 강한 박진표 감독 밑에서 김명민-하지원 콤비라는 새로운 조합이 탄생할 참이다. 멜로 장르가 오랫동안 부진의 늪에 빠져 허우적거리는 한국 극장가에서 김명민의 출사표가 신선하게 느껴지는 이유다.

mcgwire@osen.co.kr 온라인으로 받아보는 스포츠 신문, 디지털 무가지 OSEN Fun&Fun, 매일 3판 발행 [Copyright ⓒ 한국 최고의 스포츠 엔터테인먼트 전문 미디어 OSEN(www.osen.co.kr) 제보및 보도자료 osenstar@osen.co.kr 무단전재 및 재배포 금지]

Guest piano_lady

2009년이 기대되는 스타들, '대세'냐 '교체'냐

2008년 12월 18일 (목) 12:14 스타뉴스

관련상품보기[머니투데이 스타뉴스 김건우 기자]

ms2008121808351722256_0.jpg배우 김윤석 설경구 박희순 김명민 강지환 하정우(시계방향) ⓒ 머니투데이 스타뉴스

2009년 한국영화에 신구세대 영화배우들의 한 판 대결이 예상된다.

2009년에는 그동안 한국영화를 이끌어온 대들보 같은 배우들이 새로운 작품을 갖고 관객을 찾는다. 그러나 올해 한국영화가 발견한 샛별들이 준비한 작품들도 만만치 않다.

그동안 한국영화는 배우가 없다는 성토가 이어졌다. 실력파 배우들이 있지만 눈에 띄는 신인이 없다는 것이다. '위기는 기회인 법', 한국영화 시장 침체와 함께 다양한 소재, 장르 그리고 배우 발굴이 이어지고 있다.

2008년의 기대주...그들의 활약이 대세!

올해 '추격자'로 가장 주목을 받은 김윤석의 활약은 2009년에도 계속된다. 김윤석은 올해 대한민국영화대상을 비롯해 6개의 남우주연상을 휩쓸었다. 내년에 김윤석은 '거북이 달린다'와 '전우치'로 관객을 만난다.

'전우치전'은 누명을 쓰고 그림족 자에 갇힌 조선시대 도사 전우치(강동원 분)가 현대에서 봉인이 풀려 요괴와 싸우는 활약상을 그린다. 김윤석은 500년 전 그림족자에 전우치를 봉인한 도사 화담 역을 맡았다. 선량한 선비 뒤에 사약한 욕심을 감춘 이중적인 모습을 보일 예정이다.

' 세븐데이즈'로 남우조연상을 휩쓴 박희순은 '작전'으로 돌아온다. '작전'은 증권가 꾼들의 이야기를 담은 스릴러 영화다. 극중 박희순은 조폭 출신 주식 작전 지휘관 황종구 역을 맡았다. 황종구는 강현수(박용하 분)과 함께 600억을 벌기 위한 주식작전에 들어간다. '가족' '헨젤과 그레텔'에서 보여줬던 카리스마 있는 악역을 기대케 한다.

한국영화의 대들보들도 영화를 준비하고 있다. 송강호는 박찬욱 감독과 호흡을 맞췄다. 영화 '박쥐'에서 뱀파이어가 된 신부를 맡아 친구의 아내와 사랑에 빠진다. 해운대에 쓰나미가 몰려온다면 어떻게 될까? 설경구 박중훈은 '해운대'로 여름 극장가를 점령할 예정이다. 영화는 한국 최초의 해양 재난 영화다. '투마로우'의 컴퓨터그래픽팀인 미국 폴리곤 엔터테인먼트가 참여해 주목을 받았다. 설경구는 해운대 상가 번영회 회장 최만식, 박중훈은 지질학자 김휘 역을 맡았다.

정준호 정웅인 정운택, 정트리오가 다시 뭉쳤다. 영화 '유감스러운 도시'는 홍콩영화 '무간도'를 패러디하는 코믹 영화다. 올해 드라마 '내 생애 마지막 스캔들'로 인기를 끈 정준호 정웅인, 공포영화 '4요일'로 연기변신을 시도했던 정운택 등이 한 자리에 모이는 것만으로 기대감을 불러일으킨다.

2009년은 나의 해! 세대교체를 꿈꾼다

올해 '영화는 영화다'로 영화제 신인상을 휩쓴 강지환과 드라마 '온에어'의 김하늘이 영화 '7급 공무원'에서 만났다. 두 사람은 비밀요원이라는 서로의 신분을 감춘 채 헤어지지만 일급 작전에서 다시 마주친다. 두 배우는 승마 총격 추격신 등 고난도의 액션을 직접 소화했다.

충무로의 블루칩 하정우도 '국가대표'로 돌아온다. '국가대표'는 평범한 청년들이 스키점프 국가대표로 거듭나는 과정을 다뤘다. '미녀는 괴로워'로 660만 관객을 모은 김용화 감독이 메가폰을 잡았다. 하정우는 미국 교포로 얼떨결에 스키점프 국가대표팀에 합류하는 헌태 역을 연기한다.

' 베토벤 바이러스'를 통해 클래식 열풍을 몰고 온 김명민이 스크린에 도전한다. 김명민은 '너는 내 운명'과 '그 놈 목소리' 박진표 감독의 복귀작이다. 김명민은 루게릭병에 걸려 점점 몸이 굳어가지만 유머를 잃지 않는 남자 종우로 출연한다. 상대역으로는 하지원이 장례 지도사 지수를 연기한다.

오랜만에 김래원도 스크린을 통해 돌아온다. 영화 '인사동스캔들'은 조선시대 화가 안견의 '벽안도'를 놓고 꼬리에 꼬리를 무는 음모와 반전을 그린 영화다. 김래원은 극중 복원전문가 이강준으로 분했다.

editing...

Archived