2008 Sm Audition Experiences

Guest NotFromThisPlanet

Guest ishmeehshorte3e

(sorry ahead of time if this is really long, but it really is my experience from today since i never really tried out at any kind of audition like this before, so i hope many of you find that this will help you in the future =D )

hey everyone =) i auditioned today in OC and it was fun =) good experience in my book plus free posters!!! (especially a really big dbsk poster) =D hahah oh yea i tried to record the "journey" of SM auditions, but one of the manager ladies (she was also in the audition room "sometimes") stopped me and said no recording in korean, i'm not korean nor do i speak korean, but i got what she meant hahaha so sorry, i really wanted to put a video up on youtube that showed how it was like since i know a lot of people are wondering and have questions. i only got a little clip up until you hear her tell me that no recording is allowed. hahah =)

well anyways i was #102 and i auditioned for dancing, (if you are auditioning for dancing, you have to give the check-in people your CD when you sign up for your number) well, i went with my cousin, and we got there semi early 3:40ish and we sat for a long, long time and watched SM artist videos over and over before our group (#101-110) got called up to go to the audition room. a girl in the audition group before us had a super strong voice because we heard her from outside of the room when we were waiting to go in. and 1 girl was kept back in that group before us so we weren't allowed to go in yet, i'm assuming it was the same girl with the strong voice because she already sounded really good from outside. then we saw her come out with the lady who stopped me from recording hahaah and yea seemed like she did really well and she was korean because she was speaking with the lady in korean, then it was our group's turn to head in

once we got into the audition room there were 3 judges i guess, one lady was recording, one main lady who did the talking, and one young guy who didn't look like he would be a judge, but he sat there. and also the lady who i mentioned from before about the recording, she walked in later on to play the cds but she walks in and out... anyways there was yellow tape on the ground and we were all asked to stand on it then there was some "X" shaped tape in the center maybe 2 ft in front of the yellow tape where we were all standing on. (it was used for the modeling) In our group, there were people singing, acting, dancing, and modeling, so i can pretty much tell you how each "speciality" is done in the auditions.

but before that, any other OC-ers today, did the judges not know how to speak english very well or was that just for our group? because i'm chinese and there were like a few others in my group who didn't understand korean but once we were in there the main lady who did all the talking and she sat in the middle of the 3 judges, she just spoke korean and looked at us and expected a response and everybody just stared at each other... and she continued to speak in korean, then she spoke like a few words of english.. it was really weird, any OC-ers out there who don't understand korean find this weird? i thought they would at least know some english, enough to tell us what to do in english. hahaha but yea luckily a girl in our group was nice enough and good enough in both english and korean to help us translate each time she told us something in korean. anyways so the judges just spoke in korean after this point for the whole time... everybody was asked to look at the camera and state their name, number, and start doing what they're doing. singers, actors/actresses, and modeling go first... if you said you were going to dance, (like i did) you do it last because dancing was last (probably due to the cd and everything) since we were already in the 100's it seemed like they weren't really asking us to do as much as i heard from the others from before (so try to arrive earlier in your auditions)

singers- got to sing like 1 song unless they ask you to sing another

actor/actresses- act out your own made-up scene

modelling- walk back and forth twice from the "X" to the front of the judges to upbeat music (rihanna- please don't stop the music)

dancing- dance to your own CD

^^ that basically sums it for what each speciality did at the auditions. well when i went to dance they actually let me dance for a while before stopping me which made me happy because they smiled and said cumsamida which was a korean word i understood. hahaha it was fun =) there wasn't really any freestyling or "rhythm test" in our group but then again i wasn't really sure because the judge kept speaking in korean, but the girl who was translating got to freestyle because i think she applied for both singing/dancing. she didn't prepare a CD on her own so they turned on rihanna's disturbia and she was dancing but she stopped because she didn't know the song, and then they let her dance to another song which was flo rida- low which was nice of the judges, just to let you know the judges weren't really intimidating, its just that the non korean speakers didn't really understand them so it just made it a little weird, but they were cool, although some of them did laugh at other auditioners which i found kinda rude but other than that they were pretty okay. so after that it was all done! we all walked outside while they were discussing for a while since i was looking at them while i was walking out and they were talking to each other and stuff, but that was pretty much it =) hahaha sorry again about how long this is, i'm looking back at how much i wrote now and its quite long. haha

well i'm hoping my experience helped some of you out and its time for me to go to bed now, i'm beat hahah good night and good luck to those who are trying out in the future!! fighting!!! and don't be nervous! just make the best out of it and have fun! its nice to get to know some people in your group too, you start to randomly talk to people next to you like i did today and its fun to encourage each other so yea remember to do your best and have fun!!! =D

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shutingstar

^ wow detailed story haha. so there was no rhythm test for singers? unless if you sign up for dancing as well?

what should i do, if i want to take the rhythm test? cos i prefer freestyling to dancing to a routine; i wanna letting the music lead my body :D

Guest bboy_eternity

Well I auditioned in OC I was #79 (don't think any or many were soompiers), but I got there like 30 min after i started and was expecting to get a really high number, but was surprised it was only 79. It took like an hour or so(or felt like it) for it to reach my groups turn. But during the wait I kept getting up and walking around(pretty sure I annoyed some people). I just couldn't sit still -_-; I dunno if anyone saw me, but I was wearing a black t-shirt that had like a musical sheet on it and I had glasses(After I was done I was wearing a red sleeveless). But when I was waiting outside the audition room I ended up warming up there. Once we were inside and stood in order on the tape we introduced ourselves(name, number, what we were doing) the singers and actors went first and then they asked us to do a rythm test and I hated the song -__- after that were the models and then the dancers. It scared me when they cut off my song T.T but overall there were 2 models, 3 dancers, 1 actress and 4 singers. Most of them were viet I think.

So anybody here from 70-80 group? haha

Guest Steevexp

keke i was 111 and did dancing

so someHOW i was the only one dancing and they told me to do it last since dancers go last.

everyone was a singer and model except me and they SKIPED ME and i was like UHMM I DIDNT GO!

and they told me to just dance to the rhythm test and after the judges ask me to stay after and made everyone leave and i stayed.

the judges were like do another dance and i did with my cd i just freestyled to it and they ask me to sing and i sang neyo so sick and yeap that how it went(=

Aw man, i've been reading the majority of experiences here... And now I feel somewhat discouraged LOL. Kidding ^^; I was going to audition with my friends on October 18th (since I live in Canada.. It's the Toronto audition for me) or something, but I changed my mind x___X I wouldn't be ready... I was going to audition for singing... And I was going to bring my guitar along with me (are you allowed to bring instruments with you? O_o) XD

Ah well. I hope there are future auditions.

But for now, i'd only go to get a whole load of posters :3

Good luck, everyone~ =D

Toronto? SAME HERE xP LOL im going with like...4 of my friends...they are all in it for the free stuff

but i think u should come along, it wouldnt hurt to try

im going to just experience my first audition, and then the next year, im gonna be so much better :P

but yeaa

My friend went to audition in Hawaii, dunno what # she was tho :D

LOL She told me she did terrible! Even tho the judges were nice and all, she turned retarded when she began to sing :P

Forgot most of the lyrics, but ppl did compliment on how well she did (her tone and pitches...but not so much the lyrics) :P

I hate her, she has all the posters and she is showing them off :D

But I'm gonna be getting them in a few weeks :P

Guest rubymoon021

Did anyone try to take it off the wall?lmao.

If me I would sneak it and take it.

I will seriously sneak it for reals. I'll let you guys know too once I get back on Sunday.haha.

Was the posters on the wall official posters?

and how small are the small posters?

LOL, I saw some girls sneaking out with a couple of posters that had tape still on the corners XDD

They are official posters, the small ones are like.. 2 photo paper sizes? I'm not really making sense, but it's like 2 photos joined together? >_>

do they have ppl watching u from the sides also?? loll. like some of the previous auditions?? ^^;;

or was it just 10 ppl auditioning in that room in a row?

nah, the others weren't watching as far as i know.

it seems that every one of the auditions this year was held in a room.

as for the people who say they're getting discouraged:

DON'T BE D:

Go and audition, if just for the sake of experience.

It'll really help out if you plan to go next year ^-^

And even if you end up doing not as well as you expected, you never know, they might like you : D

LOL, I saw some girls sneaking out with a couple of posters that had tape still on the corners XDD

They are official posters, the small ones are like.. 2 photo paper sizes? I'm not really making sense, but it's like 2 photos joined together? >_>

lol. I'm gonna do what the girl did, if there is any SNSD and Shinee official posters.lol.

thanks for letting me know how big the small poster is.lol.

OMG I auditioning tomorrow already..I'm sooo scared.

I hope I can get in before 4pm, cuz I can't stay late, I live like 2 hours away from SF.

Guest oxoX_Kotori_Xoxo

ahhh... im going tomorrow too ^^ look for me! I'm going to wear a creamish color hoodie with ripped jeans and white sneakers. oo and my hair will have that half a pony tail on the side kinda thing... idk how to describe it. heehee ^^" ppl say i look taiwanese but im not, so look for that too i guess. ^^

Guest eybaebae

So this is what happened to me...

My friend and I got to LA Auditions at around 1:30 PM because we didn't want to wait 29832987398 hours in line. We went to a hotel and we didn't know where to go, so we just stayed downstairs at this little cafe for a few minutes, and noticed that a lot of the people went missing. So we were like Hmmm, let's follow one of them. So we followed this one dude, but it turned out he was someone who was actually one of the people staying at the hotel going to the small gym. So we were there looking confused and stupid, so we just went into an elevator. We went to the 1st floor, and OMFGWTF the line was SO LONG! It was around 1:55 PM and there were already dozens of people there... (The line went outside.) It was freaking Fobville, too! I've never seen so many feminine hairstyles, vests, orange-haired, people in my life! Anyways, the clock ticked 2 PM and they opened the doors for us to enter. When we went in, we got our applications, and I was about to freaking take all of those mini-posters on the same desk, but this lady was like "NO!" and I was like :o sorry... So I only took one. Heh. We went into this huge dark room, and sat at one of the corners. We were about to write on our applications when.... we found out we didn't bring any pen or pencil. I went around trying to look for one and it took forever! SO BRING A PEN OR PENCIL!

We finished writing (Basically just write your name, ethnicity, nationality, past experience, signature, etc.) And then you have to wait AGAIN in that HUGEEEEEE LINE! So we waited again outside in the scorching sun -_- And to make it even worse, this two girls in front of us seemed as if they were fighting. They were arguing and stuff and I was like "Man.. this would be a good time for some popcorn!" and just saw them fighting. But then all of a sudden they just stopped arguing and laughed and stuff. They were practicing for acting LOL. They were pretty good, pft they even convinced me! Anyways, we finally got up to that woman, turned in our applications, and got a sticker. I got #93 and my friend got #92.

So we went back into the room, sat in the front where there was light, and there was a projector showing some music videos for TVXQ, SNSD, CSJH, and BoA. This was the part where I got pissed and annoyed. People who worked there were supposed to change the DVD's, but they forgot to change the one with BoA's Eat You Up music video, so we were literally watching that MV for one WHOLE hour STRAIGHT! I got sick of it now... -_- While they were showing it, this woman asked us which version we liked better. Everyone voted for the Korean version, and only 1 person voted for the American one. Hahah. Anyways, while I was practicing my lines remembering my dance moves, my friend was freaking doing her math homework... She wasn't nervous at all. I think she was the ONLY one to do her school homework there LMAO!

They called up by 10's. "1-10!" "11-20!" etc.. It went by REALLY slow.. I peed so many times from drinking so much water... And they finally called us up to go and audition. (We waited about 3 hours). Anyways we were told that we were going to be given time to practice in the waiting hall right outside the auditioning room. So I wasn't that worried, but then this woman was like "Hurry up! Get in chronological order NOW!" And she made us go in. I was in serious doodoo... Anyways we sat in the auditioning room while people from the 80's performed. Almost all of them were Chinese. They were okay... None were too good, none were too bad... One of the judges asked if our #91 was sisters of #90. She asked both of them to do a duet, but they didn't and she instead sang her own song. Some sang Chinese songs, a Mariah Carey song, and etc. No one danced. Then it was time for the rhythm test. Now, by luck I randomly picked Rihanna's Disturbia as a freestyle song. And ironically, THAT was the song that they played for the rhythm test! You don't know how happy I was... All of the girls started dancing, shaking their booty and stuff. One even went on the floor and start wriggling around, it was hilarious.

Then it was our turn, and man I heard my heart thumping in my ears... I was extremely nervous. My friend (who's Japanese) sang a Japanese song, and after she finished she got into a LONGGGG conversation (About 5 minutes) with one of the judges. She was speaking to my friend in Japanese, so I had no idea what they were talking about. She later told me the judge asked her if there were any nearby Japanese festivals (To see if SM can hold auditions there, too). And then it was my turn. I said my name, number, and the song I was going to sing. I started with the first line, and then I forgot the second. Sang, then forgot the third. Sang, then forgot the fourth. And I sang HORRIBLY, too because my mouth was hella dry. SO REMEMBER TO BE HYDRATED AND DRINK WATER BEFORE YOU PERFORM! She said "Thank you." after I finished singing and went to the next person. But this was the part where I got confused. I told her that I also was doing a dance, and that I had my CD with me. The judge said that I will dance after everyone finishes singing. I was like uhh ok... It turns out that you had to turn in your dance CD WITH your application. SO REMEMBER TO TURN YOUR CD WITH YOUR APPLICATION IF YOU'RE PLANNING ON DANCING!!! The dude after me was REALLLLLY GOOD. REALLLLLY GOOD. Like celebrity singing status already. He reminded me of Hwanhee from FTTS, maybe even better. And hey, he was good-looking, too. He sang really well, and the judge asked if he can sing another song. He said he didn't have another song prepared, and the judges looked disappointed. I'm almost sure he got a callback. The next was a guy who looked like he was in his late 20's. He said he was modeling and acting. They asked him to do three poses, and he did the cliche poses. Then he began acting, and he was saying something about the world becoming a bad place or something. He screamed in the middle of his monologue, and that made me almost trip over myself (I was standing with my legs crossed because I had to pee so bad). I think the judges got scared, too hahahhahaha! The next person was a girl. She sucked. Sorry, but she really did. Couldn't understand a word she was saying, because she was singing in all falsetto. She got cut early, and the next person was also another girl. She danced to a Hyori song, and of course she just shook her booty -_- The next was a guy. He looked Chinese and he seemed to be the same age as me. When it was his turn, it was just quiet. Just silence. He spoke REALLLLY softly. TOO softly, that the judge told him to come closer like 4 times. He was supposed to sing, but he didn't and just turned around and went back to his place. The judge asked "Are you SURE?" and he didn't say anything back again hahahaha. The next was a girl, she was okay, cracked twice, and just stopped... The next was a dude, and at first I thought he was acting (as if he was reading something) but turned out he was singing LOLOLOL. Anyways, the rest of the people that I forgot to mention were forgotten for a reason... so yeah. It was time for the rhythm dance. All the girls and me (Only guy) went up to the middle of the room. I was like HECK YEAH! THEY'RE GOING TO PLAY RIHANNA! I HAVE GOOD MOVES FOR THAT. BUT THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN... SHE PLAYED LOW BY FLO RIDA. I was like WTFFF this isn't Disturbia! So I was doing my Disturbia dance moves to Low, and I just completely humiliated myself. Good thing the girls danced in front of me, completely blocking me HAHAHA. I was so embarassed with my audition I practically ran outside lOl. Then I went to the restroom, and oh man that was a great feeling... Got out with my friend, got picked up, and laughed about how embarasing it was lol.

It was a fun (and embarrassing) experience, and I've definitely learned a lot. I don't think I'm going to audition again (That's if they are having it in 2009). Anyways, for those of you who are soon going to audition, GOOD LUCK AND READ MY BOLDED ADVICE. :)

Guest Crazyasian3119

...SHE PLAYED LOW BY FLO RIDA...

sorry i cut your post... but did she play it from the beginning or the chorus? and for how long? (even though these questions may have been asked before, i didn't read all the posts...)

sorry i cut your post... but did she play it from the beginning or the chorus? and for how long? (even though these questions may have been asked before, i didn't read all the posts...)

they play it from the beginning

hihi..just a quick question..

what r u wearing when u audition.. or ppl that sign up for singing? plss.. help!!

just wear casual clothes :P

well...if u plan on actually doing the freestyle thing, dont wear tight clothes...last year my friend got a tear on her jeans...it was soooo funny xD

so maybe...i dunno...possibly something that will show off ur body but its not tight

im gonna be wearing a tight shirt...and maybe a sweater over it and fleece pants :P

Does anyone know what models should wear to audition ?

Heels?

something that will show off ur body :P maybe skinny jeans and a tight shirt?

and yea heels would be good, but make sure u do a good cat walk with those heels...

ive tried and i failed ... LOL i broke a heel :D:D:D

Guest gracefacee

I'm a total lurker, but I went to the LA one and I didn't do so hot. Well, I did pretty well, but then they were like oh, can you sing any songs in chinese? and I'm like no... but I know some japanese songs? (My japanese is very minimal.) so I sang the first song that came to mind and I didn't evne know all the words LOL. so yeah... Then i did my scene for acting basically I was both Warner and Elle from legally blonde. LOL. but yeah, I was really crazy LOL six lines in they cut me :/ but after my audition the Lee Soo Man ( I think thats his name) came up to me and started asking me all these questions and I replied in english and he was like oh... and my friend's like you know that's the president? and im like WHATT?!?! haha so hopefully he liked me?

oh& did anyone get an email yet?

Guest a_dreamer143

I'm a total lurker, but I went to the LA one and I didn't do so hot. Well, I did pretty well, but then they were like oh, can you sing any songs in chinese? and I'm like no... but I know some japanese songs? (My japanese is very minimal.) so I sang the first song that came to mind and I didn't evne know all the words LOL. so yeah... Then i did my scene for acting basically I was both Warner and Elle from legally blonde. LOL. but yeah, I was really crazy LOL six lines in they cut me :/ but after my audition the Lee Soo Man ( I think thats his name) came up to me and started asking me all these questions and I replied in english and he was like oh... and my friend's like you know that's the president? and im like WHATT?!?! haha so hopefully he liked me?

i think the LA callbacks r done from wat ive been hearing..well at least the callbacks for the 2nd round ^^

Archived