2008 Sm Audition Experiences

Guest NotFromThisPlanet

Guest happy619

I'm a total lurker, but I went to the LA one and I didn't do so hot. Well, I did pretty well, but then they were like oh, can you sing any songs in chinese? and I'm like no... but I know some japanese songs? (My japanese is very minimal.) so I sang the first song that came to mind and I didn't evne know all the words LOL. so yeah... Then i did my scene for acting basically I was both Warner and Elle from legally blonde. LOL. but yeah, I was really crazy LOL six lines in they cut me :/ but after my audition the Lee Soo Man ( I think thats his name) came up to me and started asking me all these questions and I replied in english and he was like oh... and my friend's like you know that's the president? and im like WHATT?!?! haha so hopefully he liked me?

oh& did anyone get an email yet?

he's only a producer now, he gave up his position long time ago but he was the founder of SM, he makes the BIG bucks

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chenster1124

i went to the new york one. theres a couple of points i wanna make

1. cut the song you're singing. make it only 30 sec unless you're absolutely sure you are phenomenal at singing. the judges will just cut you off and it looks bad. i was almost last in my group so i saw that a lotta ppl were getting cut off so i shortened my song when i started and i wasnt cut off cus my song was like 20 sec.

2. talk fast when you introduce yourself. bow. you're trying to reduce the time the judges have to wait to hear you do your thing.

3. demonstrate your range. this one girl in my group started out really high and just stayed high throughout. the judges were really annoyed or something. they just went "ok ok ok thats enough"

4. don't let the judges annoying and impatient facial expression get you down. but dont try to keep on singing when they look like they want you to stop.

5. notice when the judges are looking at you when you are doing the rhythm test. when you see them looking at you, do something impressive to keep their attention.

anyways i thought i did ok. maybe best in my group b/c they kept my form the longest. they usually move it to another pile when they see that you're not good... anyways. the judges looked really mean and that really scared me.

Guest Crazyasian3119

okay, here's my experience:

san francisco global SM auditions

so i arrive super early... because from what everyone here said, it'll take forever. i wanted to be in one of the first groups because people said that the judges are still "fresh" and they're not tired/hungry/etc. but i DIDN'T want to be in the fricken FIRST GROUP!!! i was number S6. so first we show up and since i was early, they said that we could be seated before everything. so i sit down with my mom and SHINee's "누난너무에뻐" was playing. we sat for a while and more people came... then she said for all the email applicants to line up. so we line up and we give them our name and our "assigned" time, they crossed us off and gave us our number stickers. (NUMBER S6. WHY???) ugh, so we sit down in our numerical order in the back and the walk-ins go line up, etc. more SM mv's came on... i tried talking to the girls next to me because i was alone... they were japanese. there were lots of posters and some people were taking some already (like, off the wall) and the one SM staff lady said that she needed the BoA ones with the black backgrounds back. anyway, so we were watching 장리인's "why"... and i wanted to finish it because i love that song... but they called us over. we crossed the street to the audition room (which looked like a ballroom) and the first 10 people stood on the "stage" while the second group sat and watched. there were two ladies, the judge (just assuming) the other was the video-lady.

guy number 1 was auditioning for acting... he was really dark. but i guess he did okay... i dunno what his mononlogue was from... i don't think he made it. girl number 2, i don't remember what song she sang, but it was good. her voice was shakey (i'm sure it was out of nervousness) but she delivered. she was asked to sing another song with higher notes... she sang hero (i remember because i was mouthing along... and i didn't realize it until) and then the lady said "thank you". then she was asked to take her glasses off and move her bangs out of the way. girl number 3 was pretty good too. i don't remember the song she sang because i was busy thinking of what song to sing ("english? japanese? korean???"). the next two were little kids. number 4 was a little boy, he was so cute! it was something about his dad eating his cereal, etc. they let him do his whole monologue. afterwards, the lady asked if he was under a label/company or something already. "yes". so she said she'd have to talk to his parents first. number 5 was a little girl, she was even cuter! (i think 3, 4, and 5 were all siblings) i don't remember hers because all i could hear was my heart pounding in my ears.

and this is where i get upset. so i'm next, and i figured i would score some brownie points if i introduce myself in korean. i even bowed. so as i'm introducing myself (looking at the camera of course), the lady was going over my application paper. i started to sing ("i love you goodbye" by celine dion) and out of my peripheral vision, i saw her just turn my papers over (as you "perform" she writes on the bottom then turns it over to another pile). i didn't even get to the chorus and she says, "thank you". she didn't even look at me... it seemed as if she wasn't even listening. i'm a filipino and that's what i wrote on my application... and i somehow feel that was why i wasn't even "considered". i get this hunch that she was looking through my application and saw "filipino" and said "uh, no" and immediately rejected me. but she let me sing a little just so it wasn't obvious. of course, i expected it so i'm not too angry. but its still irritating.

so number 6 sang... i think she was too nervous... it was in japanese. but, yeah. number 7 sang too ("heaven"?)... number 8 (was 7's sister) sang as well... i don't remember because all i was thinking about was "why didn't i sing in korean???" and i could feel my face getting hot. then number 9 sang (i think. i was thinking about why i was born filipino, why can't i do this, why didn't i do that, etc... basically beating myself up mentally). then the judge said, "okay, i'm going to put some music on. you can dance, but you don't have to... its like a freestyle". so she put it on (it was "disturbia" by rihanna... thanks for the heads up you guys! i had practiced to that one and "low"... i prefer "low" because the beat is a lot more... louder?) i just let go. i danced as if no one was watching... but halfway through "letting loose", i remembered... "i'm auditioning for SM... not too wild!" so i kinda stopped... but tried to start getting into the groove again. then she stopped the music. "thank you". as i was walking out, i looked at the faces of the people after us and their faces were all, (0_0)... i wanted to say "good luck" but i was too petrified at the fact that i danced. i looked back right before i exited and i saw 3, 4, and 5 (i think 2 was there as well, but i don't remember... all i saw was the white shirt [3], and the two little kids [4 ,5]) at the table, talking to the judge.

sorry, its long. i wanted to write every detail i could remember so i don't forget... i'm that kind of person who doesn't like to forget certain experiences.

Guest chenster1124

i'm sorryyyy. to make you feel better the judges in the ny audition did that to everyone....

i'm sorryyyy. to make you feel better the judges in the ny audition did that to everyone....

Guest adieu.cloud

OMGOMGOMG. I WENT TO THE NY ONE.

i wasnt that nervous but i was SUPPPER scared.

my friends and i went and we all wanted to be in the same room but only 5 of us got in the same room.

i was with my sister and 3 of my other friends.

they called our numbers out (10 people went in) then we waited outside of the audition room.

[i expected the place to be bigger but it wasnt]

the door opened and then these girls came out and said "GOOD LUCK. REMEMBER YOUR LYRICS!!" , which MADE US EVEN MORE NERVOUS!

so we went in and sat one red cusion chairs while the other 10 in front of us sings. the first one sanged in melody but was shaky and the judge said "dont be nervous"

two girls did acting, 2 girls did modeling, 1 guy danced. the first girl to do acting wasnt that good...o.o

but the second one was good. but she steared at us o__o;; with mean eyes >__<;

the rest i didnt notice cos i was too busy TRYING TO REMEMBER MY LYRICS! D:

so it was our turn and when the people who just finished was leaving, they said "good luck!" NICE PEOPLE <3

we lined up in our numbers and ... my friends and i were the last 4 or 5.

so my friend sanged her song but was cutted off...

then my other friend sanged so sick. she was ALMOST TO THE CHORUS when the judged stopped her and said "can you move on to the chorus?" she was only one line away from it. she got cutted off too.

my other friend SERIOUSLY FORGOT HER lyrics. then she sanged another song i think ...

then MY TURN CAME. my heart was BEATING SOOO FAST. i said my name & age & number (which was a bit long) maybe the judge thought my intro was long and one of them said "you may start now" when i was almost finished with my intro. my brain was rushing so much i dont even remember then.

so i sanged my song & I FORGOT MY LYRICS. so i took my lyrics out and sanged it. i asked to sing again and they let me but they seem annoyed because there was also another girl who wanted to start it over agian. i sanged it and i stopped on the 3 stanza.

my sister ... well, she nearly cried >__<; cos she forgot her entire song. we all picked our songs the night before the audition.

i was whispering to my sister "dont panic! just sing a song you remember!" then at the end she sanged a song :D

she sanged good D:!! she was the best singer out of all of the friends that came with me.

my sister finished her song and she was smiling :o and these girls on the chairs were like smiling at her..or were they laughing ...

the judges went back to this other girl who had a nice voice i guess (i wasnt paying attention to my lyrics, i didnt hear anybody else)

WELL. NEXT we had to DACNCE D; i forgot ALL ABOUT IT! then my friends and i were just moving =X to the music LOL XDD me and my sister were like snapping fingers o__O;; LOL it was sooo funny! =DDDD MY OTHER FRIENDS WERE LIKE BALLROOMDANCING! LMAOO XDD

we got free posters but it ran out quickly xD

IT WAS FUN THOUGH . cute ... people there :o esp the guy STAFFS. LOL XDD

ALSO. to those who are going to other cities. DONT BE NERVOUS AND BE CONFIDENT IN YOURSELF! =D

ANDD!! HAVE ALOT OF FUN!

Guest Annime710

2008 SF Auditions~

We (me and my two friends) got to the audition place at a time we THOUGHT was early, but wasn't. -_-;

By the time we got there, there were already a bunch of people lined up and sitting in the waiting room, so we just got in line right when we got there. Then when we got the audition fill out forms, we went to sit down and I had just realized that we needed pens. Pens that we didn't have. -_-; (*note. My friend JUST NOW realizes that she had a pencil. Dx) So we borrowed a pen from someone and filled them out and sat around watching the MVs that played. After a while, we (me and one of my friends) went outside to practice before auditioning and we started spazzing from being so nervous.

After a while, we got called in a big group of 20 people and ten of us went at once. The judges were pretty nice, but I got cut off. Dx My friend, in my opinion, did AWESOME, but she doesn't think so. xP

Anyways, we auditioned, and walked around a little before going home.

I auditioned last year and I think this year was better for me, but I still have a long way to go.

Hope others did better and had a lot of fun~

Guest Crazyasian3119

okay, this is random but i remember some more stuff. so the little girl before me was acting out something like, "i can't wait to be older..." etc and the judge and the video-lady was like "how cute" (they said it-... or rather, mouthed it, in korean, but i understood). number 8 sang some song by byul, number 9 sang "if" by 태연.

ah, i'm back to beat up more on myself.

so first of all, i was wearing a bright red sweatshirt because i always feel cold... but i wore a nice shirt underneath. i intended to take it off before my audition so i don't look "inappropriate". but i completely forgot once we got in due to my nervousness. so i think that threw off my "score" a lot to begin with. so DRESS APPROPRIATELY! not too flashy, but not to casual.

secondly, i realized the song i sang was really slow and dragging... it must've been boring, so that made her deduct even more of my "score". looking back, i really should've sang "hero". when they asked girl #2 to sing it, i was already mouthing along. and the thought crossed my mind to sing that one instead. i mean, not to boast, but i could show my "belting" skills at "Lord knows, dreams are hard to follow... Hold on, there will be tomorrow"... gaaaaargh~! so sing a song at its climax! don't start at the verse like i did.

i'm not expecting a callback... but i'm hoping. there's a chance my "dancing" (more like, flailing of the arms and legs) somehow impressed them or showed potential and i get called to "round 2".

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

yeah, but it was everyone. at san fran, it was just me.

Aw man >< I really want to audition but im too scared too ><

I think Im pretty good, but not great and i have stage fright...

the auditions are coming up and i should make my decision soon but i cant

im from vancouver so the auditions are oct 25

Guest miss lakwon

It's okay.

The judges are just doing their job.

They have a lot of work in their hands and I don't think that they are ignoring you.

They are just busy trying to find the right match and all.

For the NY auditions, there was the same judge who came for the past two years.

She seems to be the head honcho of judging in the east coast or something.

Anywho, I want to clarify one point for all of the audtionees.

Just because you were asked to sing another song, sing a higher octave, etc does not mean you are in at all.

Don't be fooled by those extra doings.

It may also be a bad thing. But then again, always think positively right?

But let's also be realistic! :)

OMG I jut got back and it was cool, it was a good

experience. I heard alot of good singers. I think #17 was reallyy good and was pretty too.

I think #2 wa also really good. and the two kids were soo cuteee.lol. #18-20 was also really goood.

they made me feel like I did bad.haha. But then again, from what I read, the judges didn't even look at them and

doesn't seem to be paying any attention to them when they sing, I thought that it was messed up. But I'm glad the judges was nice to me at least. they smiled and watch me sing, I was sooo nervous, but at least I did my best. and when my time was up she said thank you and smiled.hehe. cuz I heard she next ppl easy and just say okay/next and etc. but she said thank you and smiled nicely.hehe. Oh and me and my cousins got soooo many posters. We got a lot of small ones and big ones. I myself got like both Shinee posters/dbsk/SNSD/Super Junior/and boa. overall I think we got like 10-20 big ones and like 15 small ones. I wish good luck to everyone!!

my friends and i went and we all wanted to be in the same room but only 5 of us got in the same room.

they called our numbers out (10 people went in) then we waited outside of the audition room.

the door opened and then these girls came out and said "GOOD LUCK. REMEMBER YOUR LYRICS!!" , which MADE US EVEN MORE NERVOUS!

so we went in and sat one red cusion chairs while the other 10 in front of us sings. the first one sanged in melody but was shaky and the judge said "dont be nervous"

two girls did acting, 2 girls did modeling, 1 guy danced. the first girl to do acting wasnt that good...o.o

so it was our turn and when the people who just finished was leaving, they said "good luck!" NICE PEOPLE <3

then my other friend sanged so sick. she was ALMOST TO THE CHORUS when the judged stopped her and said "can you move on to the chorus?" she was only one line away from it. she got cutted off too.

my other friend SERIOUSLY FORGOT HER lyrics. then she sanged another song i think ...

then MY TURN CAME. my heart was BEATING SOOO FAST. i said my name & age & number (which was a bit long) maybe the judge thought my intro was long and one of them said "you may start now" when i was almost finished with my intro. my brain was rushing so much i dont even remember then.

so i sanged my song & I FORGOT MY LYRICS. so i took my lyrics out and sanged it. i asked to sing again and they let me but they seem annoyed because there was also another girl who wanted to start it over agian. i sanged it and i stopped on the 3 stanza.

my sister ... well, she nearly cried >__<; cos she forgot her entire song. we all picked our songs the night before the audition.

i was whispering to my sister "dont panic! just sing a song you remember!" then at the end she sanged a song :D

she sanged good D:!! she was the best singer out of all of the friends that came with me.

my sister finished her song and she was smiling :o and these girls on the chairs were like smiling at her..or were they laughing ...

the judges went back to this other girl who had a nice voice i guess (i wasnt paying attention to my lyrics, i didnt hear anybody else)

WELL. NEXT we had to DACNCE D; i forgot ALL ABOUT IT! then my friends and i were just moving =X to the music LOL XDD me and my sister were like snapping fingers o__O;; LOL it was sooo funny! =DDDD MY OTHER FRIENDS WERE LIKE BALLROOMDANCING! LMAOO XDD

ALSO. to those who are going to other cities. DONT BE NERVOUS AND BE CONFIDENT IN YOURSELF! =D

ANDD!! HAVE ALOT OF FUN!

LOL xD i was in the same group as you.

*is the first one*

D: i was so nervous that my voice was shaking P:

Guest Big Fat Smile

ANDD!! HAVE ALOT OF FUN!

who sanged the loudest there. is it the girl that were after the first girl who sanged in melody but was shaky and the judge said "dont be nervous". is the girl who sang the loudest good?

o yea what number were you? o_O

Guest CtlunatC

i came back from the NY Sm auditions 08

i'll just copy and paste what i typed in the other thread

AHH!! I WAS N3!!!! it was soo much fun!!

i was one of the earliest people there. i was the one wearing a dark blue form fitting polo with military pants and a Toki Doki bag. when the people told me my group was going i was ilke WHAT!?!?!?! I DIDNT EVEN WARM UP YET!!!!!!

oh i met Xo Lily and her friend. ahh!!! yay soompiers!!!! but they're the only ones i met >.<!!!!! when i got the application i saw the girl who handed them out was mad pretty, i was like wow. i wonder if she is a trainee

while we waited infront of the door i started to humm scales to warm up. the girl who was next to me was ALSO FROM BOSTON! HOLY CRAP!

when we finally walked in, the first girl i thought was kinda average, she could hit the notes and all but her voice wasnt up to par. then the other girl from boston was pretty good, she had really nice tone and a nice voice. and then it was MEEE!!! i swear i was too perky during the introduction lol. i was like " HI I'M NUMBER 3! AND MY NAME IS _____ AND I'M GONA BE SINGING AND DANCING!"

when i started to sing i just let it flow and i zoned out and got really into the song. however, i think i had abit TOO much adrenaline rushing through me because the camera lady started waving a hand, and i thought that meant stop so i slowed down to a stop and the paper lady said " just slow adown abit because you started to go off tempo" and i said "oh.. hehehehe" i cant believe i giggled XD!!!!

well then the paper lady asked me, " do you know any chinese songs?" i replied "yes" and she said " could you sing one for us?" and i told her "i might not get the lyrics right" and she said "its okay". i paused for a moment and smiled at her and said " hold on give me a second to think of a song"

now during that time my brain started goign OMG OMGOMGOGM I NEED A SONG I NEED A SONG ADJFLADKJFIOFJELKFJAL!!!!!!! but i could think of one!!!!

in the end i told her " i'm sorry but i cant think of a song right now." the judges looked kinda dissapointed, but the lady told me it was time to dance. my song had a lil short intro and i chest popped to the beats until it was the routine time. again i just basically zoned out and all i could think or hear was the song. i did most of my routine, and i had about 2 seconds of it left until the lady told me to stop.

next was this dude who i felt bad for because he was mad nervous. but his singing wasnt good. his voice cracked and the judge told him to stop after that. then everyone else sang and i must say, i was basically the loudest person in the whole group XD. i sang the Greatest love of All by Whitey Houston and belted my heart out.

when everyone finished the lady said "okay now its time to freestyle" immediately my body stood forward out of the group. then another girl did. and it was just us 2 at first, and the lady asked us " are you sure you dont wana freestyle?" then a couple more people stood forward to dance. i thought " ahh too cramped!" so i moved more forward abit.

they played Disturbia by Rihanna which i thought was hilarious because i was freestyling to that the night before. i bascially popped and waved during most of it and i noticed the camera was more on me, but i could be wrong.

but it was soo much fun! and im so happy with what i did today!!!!

Lucky, you went to san francisco right?

what number were you? i was number 6, how badly did i do?

I thought you did good.hehe.

I thought your group all did pretty well.

I hope you guys make it!!

I was #12.lol. the second person in the chair.lol.

I wanted to cheer for all you guys but since no one tried to clap and cheer, I didn't dare too.lol.

Guest Crazyasian3119

I thought you did good.hehe.

I thought your group all did pretty well.

I hope you guys make it!!

I was #12.lol. the second person in the chair.lol.

I wanted to cheer for all you guys but since no one tried to clap and cheer, I didn't dare too.lol.

i wanted to say "good luck" to you guys... but like i said before (if you read my "experience"), i was too petrified.

and i actually danced... that is, if you call that dancing. it was all a hot mess of vigorously flailing my arms and legs.

did you guys get disturbia or low? how'd you do? who did they ask to stay behind after my group left?

i hope you make it too!

i wanted to say "good luck" to you guys... but like i said before (if you read my "experience"), i was too petrified.

and i actually danced... that is, if you call that dancing. it was all a hot mess of vigorously flailing my arms and legs.

did you guys get disturbia or low? how'd you do? who did they ask to stay behind after my group left?

i hope you make it too!

We got low.lol. I don't really know how I did, but I don't think I did that bad, cuz I think I got my 30 seconds. and the jugde watched me sing and smiled at me the whole time. I happy to at least grab her full attention.lol. they asked #17 to stay behind and she's really good!hehe. I thought #17-20 was all good. they sang beautifullyy!

I was nervous just watching you guys.lol. I wa like god I can't do this, but I can't get out either without singing it and getting it over and done with.haha.

Guest Crazyasian3119

We got low.lol. I don't really know how I did, but I don't think I did that bad, cuz I think I got my 30 seconds. and the jugde watched me sing and smiled at me the whole time. I happy to at least grab her full attention.lol. they asked #17 to stay behind and she's really good!hehe. I thought #17-20 was all good. they sang beautifullyy!

I was nervous just watching you guys.lol. I wa like god I can't do this, but I can't get out either without singing it and getting it over and done with.haha.

are you korean? japanese? chinese?... that's probably why. i don't think i'm what they're loooking for so i was "rejected" immediately. and my song choice was horrible.

what'd you sing?

(maybe i'm just being paranoid. i was looking at the camera and not her... maybe she was listening... but i just didn't appeal to her liking or something)

Guest chaostheroyalknight

LA SM audition! #L125

It went so wonderful!!! so i went in and got in line and got the registration forms and filled them out in the waiting room for the people. Then we had to go back outside and line up and give them to the attendees(which i think wasnt a good idea to make us go back outside and line up again). So i got number 125 and everyone got called by tens, i waited like 3 hours till 120-130 was called @___@ i was starving and didn't think i would be able to sing,plus BoA's eat you up preview annoyed the crap out of me just because they kept on playing it over and over again. So i get called out and they made two rooms since it was getting crowded(i hear there was about 500 people maybe more by the time i left o.o) and when i got called to the room i still had to wait about half an hour since there was about eleven people ahead of me. So i talked to these two girls who were really pretty and i thought they were 18 or so and they told me they were only 14 and 15 i was just shocked XD(this part isn't really important but if you saw them you wouldn't believe they were 14 and 15 O___O)

So i get called in with them and one dude who danced and a girl who sang. Everyone who went before me,1-122, said the judges never say anything or comment you and are strict and if you get nervous they really dont like it. so some people worried. so i get called in with the other four and the two girls did their walk but the judges didnt say anything so i thought ok well they wont say anything for me either right. So i said my name,age and what i was going to do. So i sang Super Juniors Dont Don for about 2 in a half minutes and got cut off by one of the two judges. then guy said i did a great job then he asked me who my fav. member of Suju was. i was surprised that he was interested in me and i told him it was Siwon and then he asked me how i learned about SM and i told him about 4 years ago from a friend and he also asked if i liked any other groups and i told him DBSK and The Trax, and he was surprised that i knew about The Trax(SM's only rock band) for some reason and he talked to the other judge for awhile and mentioned i knew The Trax and he pointed at my registration sheet(maybe because i put down that i knew guitar and drums and it caught their attention?) Then they made us all dance which was weird, i only knew 5 moves so i just repeated them in a different order XD.well i it went amazing and after i left the other 4 people told me i did a great job and i that i was sure to win =]

Did anyone else in the LA auditions get feedback and comments from the judges? I don't wanna seem like i'm bragging that i did a good job ^^;

oh and did anyone happen to see me? I was that one dude in a gray striped polo shirt with L125 and jeans listening to his Ipod. It calmed me down and i didnt get nervous heh ^^

Archived