[drama] Drops Of God [kami No Shizuku] Bae Yong Joon

Guest liezle

Guest liezle

the two main characters in the upcoming drama 'kami no shizuki'

Kanzaki Shizuku

51txI-bmnIL._SS400_.jpg

Tomine Issei

513UjVsOAwL._SS500_.jpg

it was reported that tomine might will be played by bae yong joon. who do you think will fit the role of kansaki shizuku? names such as song seung hun, so ji sub and and japanese actor fukuyama masaharu have been circulating around baeland and japanese newspapers but no one can still confirm who would be the other lead role. :) well for me, my choice is sjs or ssh. ;)

to read more about this japanese manga that rocked the isles of japan, korea, china and france read here, here, and here

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest frances

more info in the growing popularity of this manga ~

The art of wine - manga style

By Tom Bailey

05th June 2008

dailymail.co.uk

Two brothers on an epic comic-book odyssey to find the ultimate classic wine. Only in Japan? No - the Far East's take on wine tasting is coming to Britain

Japanese manga comics are best known for their adult blend of mythical beasts, lonely heroes and violent martial arts. So it might come as a surprise to learn that the hottest manga storyline, currently gripping Korean CEOs and Chinese car plant drones, centres on two polite chaps travelling around the world and tasting wine.

article-0-0158524400000578-327_468x314.jpg

The Drops of God: Manga comics based on wine

Kami No Shizuku – or The Drops Of God – has been wildly popular with manga fans since its creation in 2004, and is considered a bible for ordinary wine-lovers scared by stuffy wine magazines.

Sales have topped a million copies in South Korea alone, with sales of wine shooting up by 30 per cent in response.

The ten-volume series sees two brothers given the challenge of locating 12 legendary wines when their father, a wine critic, dies suddenly.

Whichever son succeeds in the challenge inherits their father's £9 million wine cellar. (The exact contents of the cellar are not revealed in the first series, but the chances are that Cliff Richard's Vida Nova missed the cut...)

Printed mostly in black and white and drawn to look like an ancient Japanese woodblock print, the secret of its success lies in the brilliant, sensual – and ever more outrageous – wine descriptions. 'Just like a classic rock concert!' says one brother after taking a sip of a 2001 Mont-Pérat.

'Like walking in a quiet forest being followed by two butterflies,' exclaims the other brother.

article-1024147-017ED77C00000578-893_472x681.jpg

It's hardly Decanter magazine, but Shin and Yuko Kibayashi, the wine-loving brother-and-sister team behind the comic who write under pseudonyms, take a perverse interest in dispensing with tedious wine terminology.

'We try to find an unusual phrase that sums up the experience, not using the sort of language a sommelier would use, but using images to make it sound delicious,' says Yuko.

Any individual wine lucky enough to be name-checked can expect to sell an extra 50 cases within 48 hours – the Asian equivalent of the 'Delia Effect'.

Such is the comic's status in South Korea that parents often slip a copy into their children's suitcase before they leave for university, in the hope it will inspire them to develop sophisticated palettes.

Having conquered Asia, The Drops Of God is now teeing up Europe. Issue one has just come out in France.

'It works because a lot of people are scared of fine wine,' says Delphine Katrantzis of French publisher Glénat, which took the brave step of publishing it in the home of the wine snob. 'In fact, at the beginning the hero has never even drunk a glass of wine, so it's a learning curve the readers can identify with.' Next stop, Britain.

'It's an exciting prospect for us,' says Emma Hayley of graphic novel publisher Self Made Hero, which last year released a manga version of Shakespeare. 'It demystifies fine wine and puts the fun back into tasting.'

Meanwhile, a spin-off computer game called Sommelier has been launched in Japan, and Hollywood directors are angling for the movie rights. Malcolm Gluck, your days are numbered.

the two main characters in the upcoming drama 'kami no shizuki'

Tomine Issei

[] 513UjVsOAwL._SS500_.jpg[]

it was reported that tomine might will be played by bae yong joon. who do you think will fit the role of kansaki shizuku? names such as song seung hun, so ji sub and and japanese actor fukuyama masaharu have been circulating around baeland and japanese newspapers but no one can still confirm who would be the other lead role. :) well for me, my choice is sjs or ssh. ;)

to read more about this japanese manga that rocked the isles of japan, korea, china and france read here, here, and here

Liezle, I have the same choice as you....... But whoever will play the other part is really interesting & exciting. Can't wait to know this. But I think tomine part isn't yet confirmed to be played by BYJ. For me, whatever parts he'll be in, it's fine as long as he has another work to give us especially drama - more screen time. :P:D

And to taste the wines as suggested on the first page links:-

wines mentioned in Vol 1 of the series:-

Domaine Bizot les Jachées - Vosne-Romanée - 2000

Richebourg Vosnes romanée 1er cru, 1997

Rosso Miani

Château Mont-Pérat - Côtes de Bordeaux - 2001

Domaine de la Romanée Conti - Richebourg - 1990

Pomard Rugiens Bas 2000

Domaine de la Romanée Conti - Richebourg Grand cru - 1959

Château Mouton Rothschild – Pauillac – 1982

Opus One 2000

Château Léoville Las Cases 1983

Château Baron Pichon-Longueville

credit: http://lesgouttesdedieu.com/

By the way, it makes a good meetup with different group of friends, trying the wines in different wine bars. No 4 and 6 ain't bad at all!

hey ann, thanks for your link and the list of wines :) i'll be adding more later ;)

for those who do not know, byj is the major stockholder of Keyeast. Under its wing is BOF, his management agency and smart kitchen.

thanks to Damdeok for posting this on byj thread :)

Keyeast Co., Ltd. enters into “Water Drops of the Gods” copyright license agreement with Kodansha Inc.

-“Water Drops of the Gods” copyright license agreement allows for drama production and derivative works

Keyeast Co., Ltd. (CEO: Pyo Jong Rok) announced on August 28, 2008 that it has entered into an official copyright license agreement with Kodansha Inc. for the production of a Korean language drama based on the comic book “Water Drops of the Gods.”

Over 2,200,000 copies of “Water Drops of the Gods” have been sold in Japan and over 2,000,000 copies have been sold in Korea. This comic book has sparked interest in wine worldwide. Many domestic and foreign companies have expressed interest in the copyright of this global bestseller.

The license agreement allows Keyeast Co., Ltd. to produce a Korean language drama based on the “Water Drops of the Gods” comic and it also grants Keyeast Co., Ltd. the right to create and carry out business related to derivative works.

A member of Keyeast Co., Ltd. said that “we are happy that we have been able to sign a contract regarding a large product which has captured so much attention from all of Asia,” and that “we will do everything we can to make sure that the drama, which will be based on the original work that proved to be a moving comic for many readers, becomes a stimulating force in the domestic entertainment industry.”

‘Water Drops of the Gods’ Writer: Tadashi Agi, Drawings: This Japanese comic of Shu Okimoto has appeared in the weekly magazine of Kodansha Inc. called “Morning” since 2004. 17 volumes have been issued in Japan and 16 volumes have been issued in Korea. One of the main characters, Tomine Issae, has been developed to resemble Bae Yong Joon.

source : KEYEAST

Hi Liezle, thanks for creating this thread, only now I was able to visit, been busy lately.

This news are making me so excited, Hope that BOFi will soon confirm YJ participation in this drama... I want to rejoice but just being very patient, waiting for the final confirmation...

I have read the english version the one that sis frances has shared with us, it is captivating.

[News] Devine Water Drops targeted to air after mid 2009

Original post from byjfamily.net / KOB

taken from xiaoyi's blog

Keyeast will produce the "Divine Water Drop" drama independently. This is the first time for Keyeast to produce TV Drama. The Company has started to source for Director, Casts & Writer. BYJ might be acting as Tomine Itsei. The Company also said that BYJ's injury is still not completely recover, but he often go back to the office and discuss the production of the "Divine Water Drop" with the staff. He's also learning the knowledge of wine.

20060919000026_00.jpg

mansaok_20070628_171703.jpg

[News] Devine Water Drops targeted to air after mid 2009

Original post from byjfamily.net / KOB

taken from xiaoyi's blog

Keyeast will produce the "Divine Water Drop" drama independently. This is the first time for Keyeast to produce TV Drama. The Company has started to source for Director, Casts & Writer. BYJ might be acting as Tomine Itsei. The Company also said that BYJ's injury is still not completely recover, but he often go back to the office and discuss the production of the "Divine Water Drop" with the staff. He's also learning the knowledge of wine.

[] 20060919000026_00.jpg[/]

[i mansaok_20070628_171703.jpg[/]

Hi Liezle - thanks for sharing this. Gosh, still a very long time to see him again on the screen.......... may be end of next year or latest early 2010. At least, there's something to look forward to........... I guess without this injury he could start doing this drama as soon as everything is finalized. But his recovery & rehab will take until end of this year. But I think this is also fine since he still have time to get to learn everything about wine more. :P:D

Hi Liezle - thanks for sharing this. Gosh, still a very long time to see him again on the screen.......... may be end of next year or latest early 2010. At least, there's something to look forward to........... I guess without this injury he could start doing this drama as soon as everything is finalized. But his recovery & rehab will take until end of this year. But I think this is also fine since he still have time to get to learn everything about wine more. :P:D

hi willenette! i think that they plan to air this drama in the middle of 2009 which i think not that too far compared to the other projects wherein we waited for 2 years. he'll probably do this right after 'wls animation' since it's only dubbing. geez, can't wait for them to announce who will be in the cast.

here's something i found while going around. it's from coolsmurf's blog. thanks coolsmurf!

Bae Yong Joon Confirms Participation in Kami no Shizuku Drama Adapation

September 4, 2008 by coolsmurf

Hallyu star Bae Yong Joon has confirmed that BOF will produce the drama adapation of popular Japanese manga, Kami no Shizuku and he will act in it.

BOF recently acquired the rights with the author of Kami no Shizuku and Bae Yong Joon will thus be involved with the drama production. Kami no Shizuku was an item that BOF have been actively pursuing for the past few months. Bae Yong Joon had revealed to reporters then about his plans for a drama adapation of Kami no Shizuku when he was in Japan in early June to promote “The Legend”. During his time in Japan, he took time out to liase with the manga’s author personally and discuss about the rights and related matters.

The drama adapation of Kami no Shizuku is expected to begin filming in the earlier part of 2009 and will aim to not just broadcast in Korea, but possibly Japan, China, Asian markets and even worldwide. The drama is now attracting lots of attention in Japan, China and other Asian countries already.

Kami no Shizuku sees a young man, Shizuku Kanzaki competing against his adoptive brother, Issey Tomine for his father’s 12 wines whic he considers to be the best in the world, comparing them to Jesus Christ’s disciples. It’s understood that the manga’s author is a Bae Yong Joon fan and one of the roles in the manga was actually created after Bae Yong Joon himself.

Fans of Bae Yong Joon will be highly anticipating this drama adapation for he will be taking on three roles in the production, the planner, the producer and actor.

hi willenette! i think that they plan to air this drama in the middle of 2009 which i think not that too far compared to the other projects wherein we waited for 2 years. he'll probably do this right after 'wls animation' since it's only dubbing. geez, can't wait for them to announce who will be in the cast.

here's something i found while going around. it's from coolsmurf's blog. thanks coolsmurf!

Bae Yong Joon Confirms Participation in Kami no Shizuku Drama Adapation

September 4, 2008 by coolsmurf

Hallyu star Bae Yong Joon has confirmed that BOF will produce the drama adapation of popular Japanese manga, Kami no Shizuku and he will act in it.

BOF recently acquired the rights with the author of Kami no Shizuku and Bae Yong Joon will thus be involved with the drama production. Kami no Shizuku was an item that BOF have been actively pursuing for the past few months. Bae Yong Joon had revealed to reporters then about his plans for a drama adapation of Kami no Shizuku when he was in Japan in early June to promote “The Legend”. During his time in Japan, he took time out to liase with the manga’s author personally and discuss about the rights and related matters.

The drama adapation of Kami no Shizuku is expected to begin filming in the earlier part of 2009 and will aim to not just broadcast in Korea, but possibly Japan, China, Asian markets and even worldwide. The drama is now attracting lots of attention in Japan, China and other Asian countries already.

Kami no Shizuku sees a young man, Shizuku Kanzaki competing against his adoptive brother, Issey Tomine for his father’s 12 wines whic he considers to be the best in the world, comparing them to Jesus Christ’s disciples. It’s understood that the manga’s author is a Bae Yong Joon fan and one of the roles in the manga was actually created after Bae Yong Joon himself.

Fans of Bae Yong Joon will be highly anticipating this drama adapation for he will be taking on three roles in the production, the planner, the producer and actor.

At last his participation in this drama has already been confirmed... Can't wait for this drama to start filming... I am so happy becuase YJ did not let us wait very long before confirming his next project and it might air mid of next year, that's just around the corner :):D:)

[Trans] coldheart enemy... yonsama

Hello Liezle, thanks for sharing this here... After YJ's confirmation about being part of this project the next big question in peoples's mind is who will be his co-star. I hope his role will not be dubbed as second role a good drama with a good story line can have two main leads, isn't it...

Guest JoongBoXiahJang

this does mean that byj oppa is the main male lead right?

i can't wait for this.

hopefully it will be air during spring break or something, this way i am away from school for a while and can look at byj!

can't wait to get the rest of the info going!

Guest Marikoo

gals.. please tell me.. is it has been sured that yong joon will be the lead actor of this drama.. and with In Sung too..??

OMG.. it will be a great drama...!!!

hello zetta. welcome to Drops of God thread.

YJ's company Key East has announced that they inked the contract for the copyright of this drama but did not confirm if YJ will take the role of shizuku or tomine. I'm pretty sure once the cast and the staff of the drama are finalized (which i heard is in progress right now) we will get confirmation from them.

Btw, i understand jo insung will be drafted for military service soon so i don't think he can be casted for this drama.

Archived